★彡yg ♪♬♪ The Official Big Bang [빅뱅] Thread ver. 2

Guest the7REAL.

Big Bang’s “TONIGHT” Album Review by 10Asia!

untitled111.png?w=547&h=316

Big Bang is back. And it is for the first time in two years. During those two years, G-Dragon, T.O.P, Taeyang, Seungri and Daesung have established themselves in their respective fields of music. Together they are Big Bang but separately can produce results like G-Dragon and T.O.P’s duo unit album “GD&TOP” and Taeyang’s solo album “Solar.” That is probably why the release of their album in two years is drawing so much attention. So what has this group composed of five stars come to us with this time? Big Bang gave “10Asia” a preview of “TONIGHT” from their upcoming mini-album set for release February 24.

“It’s quite good, very good, but there’s no way to express how it’s good.” This popular phrase from a commercial was what came to mind after hearing title track “TONIGHT” from Big Bang’s new album. It is a dance song but is sad rather than exciting. And it does not start off with a melody that will hook the listener to the song. It is also not a song that a boy band can put on an impressive dance to as a group nor can they set forth a particular image with it such as charismatic or cute. The easiest way to put it would be to say it is similar to “Lie” in terms of the emotion but “TONIGHT” starts off differently from “Lie” as well. Korea’s most popular boy band has returned to the K-pop scene for the first time in two years but “TONIGHT” strays from the recent popular styles of music and rather seems to try to present a new trend by bringing together elements that listeners are unfamiliar with.

A certain vibe that leads to addiction

untitled11.png?w=545&h=180

For years now, it has been the trend of the K-pop industry to produce songs that from the very start, will pierce the public’s ears with short, precise and strong sounds. Dance numbers have become hits with strong beats or melodies and ballads have raised the level of ardentness they exude, sounding as if the singer is singing into the listener’s ears. But Big Bang goes in a completely different direction. “TONIGHT” starts off to a seemingly casually tossed in quiet and recurrent electronica sound which makes it difficult to predict how the song will unfold. The sound of an acoustic guitar, the members’ rap and vocals and the chorus all need to emerge to reveal the form the song will take. It is also a dance song but it gradually builds up on the emotions it sings of, as if it were a ballad song. Hence “TONIGHT” is most exciting where the tempo is at its fastest in the latter half of the song but it is also when those slowly built up emotions reach the saddest point.

However, the moment you need to focus on in “TONIGHT” comes after the climax. After creating a moment which literally ‘explodes,’ the quiet sound of the acoustic guitar reappears as if starting everything over where everything is in ruins, slowly pulling up the flow of the song back up. It is not happiness or sadness that is expressed through “TONIGHT.” The vibe that is created when such emotions are constantly on the rise, from the most poised to excited state, is what makes one listen to the song. Just as if tears you were holding back on slowly started to flow to and they have reached the point where you are about to burst into tears. Listen to the beginning of “TONIGHT” again after listening to it from start to finish. Because with just that, you will find yourself looking forward to the mood and dramatic developments the song will make. “TONIGHT” is similar to “Lie” in that it uses electronica beat, a plaintive sound and repetitive chorus. But while the piano or chorus stood out first in “Lie,” the selling point to “TONIGHT” lies in the overall quality and atmosphere of its sound. Big Bang has found a new style they can work with within the characteristics they hold.

Big Bang, the group which encompasses both popular appeal and trend

untitled1.png?w=572&h=444

Just like musicians like Drake showed last year, such music is one of the trends existent in today’s global pop music scene. In that sense, “TONIGHT” and other songs that are listed in this album contain a sensitivity which is in synchronization with the word ‘pop.’ But the reason you need to focus on Big Bang’s new album is not because it introduces local listeners to a new trend from overseas. What is important is not how they deliver their music but that they perfected their identity and style as Big Bang within that trend. The melody which acts as the bridge in “TONIGHT,” before reaching the climax, was sung by Taeyang. He sings it strictly in line with the flow of the song — peacefully and effortlessly — different from how he sang in his solo album. But his unique tone exists in “TONIGHT” as well and the tone in itself, having a strong impact on the song, is enough to make the song become focused. It is the same with the other members. G-Dragon and T.O.P’s rap are unquestionably different and the song evidently develops differently when it switches over from T.O.P to Daesung or Seungri’s parts. The song as a whole heads toward a single vibe but each member has interpreted it in their own way to make each part memorable. Hence while the itself song presents listeners with a new trend through its uniform mood, each member of Big Bang is responsible for the song’s popular appeal.

This is where Big Bang’s style becomes complete as a group. Electronica-based “TONIGHT” is completely different from “WHAT IS RIGHT” filled with rock sounds. But with both songs, the more the seemingly dynamic chorus is repeated, the more they sound melancholy. The vibe the chorus gives off changes depending on the mood that each member creates in their parts. So whatever the genre, Big Bang’s songs develop in a variety of ways depending on the chorus while an exciting introduction and melancholy latter half co-exist in the process. Big Bang’s music is about how its members constantly create impactful moments while the song undergoes such emotional changes. This is why this album’s composer and producer G-Dragon has managed to create an album that is different from his solo album or “GD&TOP.”

Big Bang has used its capability to create a style that is unique of them and based on that style, has found a point where they can secure both public appeal and a new trend. That is probably the reason Big Bang can stay Big Bang. Their songs contain new trends but appeal to the public and may contain rock, electronica, R&B and rap but head in a single direction. Like “Lie” proves, Big Bang’s era came when they pulled off all of these elements. The same goes for this album. Of course, nobody knows what the response will be to their new album. Especially more so with a song that strays from recent trends of the music scene. But without doubt, “TONIGHT” is a choice with the possibility of playing the role that “Lie” did for Big Bang. This major group with public appeal has made a move which takes them ahead of the times. Big Bang has done the best music they can for a popular idol group, a group making a comeback for the first time in two years, an idol group whose each members have become stars.

(source: asiae via ibigbang)

• Replies 42.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest xphlyangel

Itunes Canada Pop Genre TOP 8

it looks like their not only gonna kill korean music charts!!!

even international ones...woot~~~~!!! wooot!!

bigbang is the best!!!!

Yup, the boys are going up on the US charts too. They were at #156 when I checked about 10 hours ago. Now they're at #13! ^_^ I just bought my copy on iTunes so that # better decrease... fellow US VIPs: go go go!

nz3cso.jpg

Guest shinhdeplol

By VIPZ (bbvipz.com) :wub:

247114699.jpg

홍대입구역 스크린도어 인증샷 맛보기! (작은방 슨냠 님 이미지) http://twitpic.com/434ix7

Big Bang and 2NE1 to be featured in idol-themed RPG

YG artists are no strangers to being featured in online games. Besides 2NE1 and Big Bang being spotted in a Facebook game, their songs have also been included in the iTouch application Tap Tap Revenge 4. New game developer iFancom Games is currently developing an online RPG community called "Project Eye I" (tentative). The user is an idol producer who manages and nurtures characters for their debut as a star. The game takes on a competitive edge as players are pitted against each other in the process of reaching the industry's top.

Users can create their own original character, or they can build their character to resemble their favorite members of Big Bang and 2NE1. This idol RPG is reminiscent of The Sims and other popular real-life simulation games. Characters can be trained to sing, dance and act in places like the studio or fitness center. By practicing, the idol can receive better scores and increase his or her abilities.

Set in a large city, the characters can even visit places like the bookstore and arcade center. The game draws parallels to reality, as idols can go solo or be placed in units. If the user continues to recklessly abuse his characters by not allowing them rest, the idols can even run away or refuse to continue.

The game is aimed at K-pop fans and plans to capitalize on this by linking to the real music industry. For example, when a famous star's new song is released, the game's music shop will promote the new songs. Users will be able to purchase music through the music shop. Also, a large billboard will be shown promoting new music video releases. Through this game, stars can even directly promote their new song by "meeting" with fans.

Are you excited for this new game?

Sources: thisisgame, 21bangs and bigbangupdates

Taken from: Koreaboo

I just wanted to share my thoughts on the album sweatingbullets.gif

Cafe: 9.5/10 

TOP's rap to start the song is just to die for.. i loved his 2nd rap though<3 gd's, tae's, ri's falsettos<3 i can't wait to see the three of them perform this at the big show! daesung's voice was so beautiful in here. it's so strong and powerful. i think that the long rest really helped him, i mean its hard to believe, but i think he improved! taeyang & seungri sounded so good together. everything worked so well together.. top's rap, the falsetto, daesung's vocals. it's a new style for the boys, but i loved it. this is what i was hoping for from the album, something new to show how they've matured. it definitely did not disappoint me. i loved all of them in here. it was a great song - it showed how powerful top's rap is, how strong dae's vocals are, & how GDYBRI can sing falsetto. i adored this song.

What is Right?: 8.7/10

for some reason, i really liked the beginning. it kinda gave me a 'sunset glow' kinda feel.. like "Cafe", this is kinda different from the usual Big Bang songs. daesung did an amazing job in here as well. really, i adored his voice in here. taeyang's voice was really nice in this song too. ah, he improved too! i loved Ri's voice, i wish he got to sing more though. the chorus was good. i'm glad to hear gd rapping in here again aha.. top's rap killed it though. his voice, omg *SPAZZES* i loved top's rap the most in here. 

Somebody to Love: 8/10

taeyang's voice was so good in here. top's rap was amazing in here as well. i thought seungri's voice was so impressive in here. the part where both seungri & daesung sang before top's rap was so beautiful. i loved the emotion they put into that part. i didn't really like the japanese version of this song so i ended up liking this version a lot more.  i think top raps a lot better in korean than english. i love him, but sometimes his pronunciation isn't the best. he's got the voice but if he brushed up on his japanese or english a bit more then it'd be amazing. haha, i think it was kinda good that i didn't listen to the japanese version at all that much so i ended up liking the korean version. i liked taeyang & top most in here.

Hands Up: 7.5/10

HANDS UP HIGH, HIGH & LOW! i personally really liked this song when i heard the japanese version. it's such a great song to listen to and it just gets you into that spazzing mode. but, my favorite from this song was TOP's RAP! omgomgomg, haha... couldn't stop spazzing over tabi in here. i'll try to refrain myself... i think they tried to make this song sound a bit different, but i guess i heard the japanese version too much so it wasn't that different to me. it sounded a bit similar, but top's rap made this song for me. 

Tonight: 9/10

i love this song. at first i couldn't decide if i liked this or Cafe more, but i ended up liking Cafe a tiny bit more. i really liked how gd started the song off. i loved both of gd's & top's rap. the beat is so catchy! i know what the 10Asia person meant when he said it reminded him of "Lies", but not quite. it gives me that "Lies" feeling but it's not the same song. i love this song though. i actually agree with it being the title song. i don't mind the synthesizers & the autotune isn't that bad, i think it adds something to the song. taeyang did an amazing job during the chorus. i wish daesung & seungri sang more, but i think i see what gd's trying to do. taeyang's voice does blend in better with gd and top, but daesung and seungri did a great job with what they were given. 

Intro: 8.5/10

i really liked the intro. gd & top in the beginning sounded so sexy<3 taeyang sounded amazing, i loved his voice<3 seungri's voice omg<3 daesung sounded so powerful<3 gd and top at the end again<3 aha, it was short but for some reason i really liked it. 

overall, i can't complain about the album.. i wish there were more new songs, but the remakes were fine. it wasn't horrible or anything, i ended up liking it more. the 3 new songs, however, i loved! now, i can't wait for their full album. i just wish that seungri had more parts, and daesung too. the parts they did song however were beautiful. daesung's improved and his voice is so powerful, i love it. i thought TOP's raps in these songs were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! that's not even my bias fangirl side talking, i really thought TOP sounded great in the songs. daesung too.. heck, all of them did! they totally deserve the all-kill

BIG BANG DOMINATION! 2011 IS OUR YEAR VIPS

Guest sunny_dance

my faves off the bat were cafe, what is right, and intro (thank you and you).

i absolutely love and adore cafe! i really hope we can see it performed live somehow. it would even sound more amazing with a live band to back them up. that would be heavenly!

i also love what is right. compared to the other songs, the production is much more simpler and clean. it's the most pop sounding song on the album, but a very good pop song at that.

i must say big bang completely owns in the intro track department. i've loved every intro they've ever made, and it always makes me long for a full track. it's a good tease though.

hi guys! i've been like a silent lurker for a few months already. but i just gotta pop up and say I REALLY LOVE THE ALBUM SO DAMN FREAKING MUCH!!! <3 till now, i have not seen any negative comments about this album. <333333

i'm such a proud VIP.

anw, regarding that mv release on 8pmKST tmr, IT IS NOT TRUE. what the person originally meant was big show 2011. then it got misunderstood and it got spread like wildfire. lol. yeah. up till now, NO ONE KNOWS WHEN YG IS GONNA RELEASE THE MV. YG TROLL. T___T

haha. <3

Guest juang_bb

^^^lol so that's why im like :blink: coz ive been stalking bestiz right now and i havent read any post about it and kvips dont know yet either. i thought i missed it. lol

Guest Michala01

I am really impressed with the itunes rankings! :w00t:

I have already bought physical copies but I'm going to buy it on itunes too as soon as I get home! Good work international vipz

Guest shinhdeplol

Gif + captures of Daesung from the MV teaser xD

He looks so cool here, but I cant get out of my head the image of the clumsy driver on FO :lol: I wonder if he is still driving like that now :P

5zpgsx.gif

219xxz6.th.jpg258qa79.th.jpg29mou9h.th.jpg

2ef1h6c.th.jpg2qlflnb.th.jpg34rac7m.th.jpg

C: 표나@DCDS // 。^.^菘菘蓝 @ smileholic

I'm am so so impressed, CAFE IS FREAKING AMAZING! Absolutely my favorite track, DEASUNG YOU ARE A GOD. His parts came out of nowhere & it was perfect! I hope his solo album would include songs like this, because his voice is so so amazing. I love every part of this song, I was caught off guard, a totally different feel, and I am wishing for more. TOP's rap was awesome, his flow is flawless. & GD's falsetto? dies. they are so awesome.

What is right, again, different feel and again I love! Dang, they are so good. I like all the songs actually.

:) Bigbang is amazing. nuff said.

Guest MidnightByul

Ah~ I'm a satisfied V.I.P. Yes, I am.

Cafe, INTRO, and TONIGHT are my favorites from the album. All I need is this MV..-_-...YG..>.> LOL

Archived