[Mainland Chinese Movie 2010] The Love of the Hawthorn Tree

Grey.Drops

moviepic_14091fd4b42f4f5103938a24daf64bde.jpg

AKA: 山楂树之恋,Shan Zha Shu Zhi Lian,Hawthorn Love,Love Under the Hawthorn Tree,Under the Hawthorn Tree,Hawthorn Tree Forever

Released: 09/16/2010

Director: Zhang Yimou

Genre: Drama,Romance

Runtime: 98 min

Language: Mandarin

Cast: Zhou Dongyu (Jing qiu), Shawn Dou (Lao san), Chen Taisheng, Rina Sa, Li Xuejian, Lu Liping, Suen Hoi-ying

Synopsis:

Zhang Yimou's highly anticipated film, which is adapted from a popular novel of the same name from Ai Mi, harkens back to the innocence of the 1970's in presenting this pure and moving tear jerking love story, set in 1975 in a small village in Yichang City, Hubei Province. The story is of an unfulfilled romance between Jingqiu and a young man named Laosan during their “zhiqing” days towards the end of the Cultural Revolution (1966-76). Zhiqing refers to young urbanites who were sent to the countryside during that turbulent decade. Jingqiu, who had had a difficult life after her father was labeled a right-winger, met the handsome Laosan, who had a promising future because of his high-ranking military officer father. The couple fall in love, despite the gulf between their backgrounds.

Trailer

Pictures:

41067811.jpg

20100916105617-161247099.jpg

nowshowinghawtree.jpg

• 6 months later...
Guest galarose

2ylwj5z.jpg

I recently watched this movie and founded absolutely charming, with beautiful and detailed cinematography, and with a breathtaking and heart piercing romance and story.

The love between the main characters was so pure, yet so strong and frail in same time. The young actors are talented and portrayed their roles so naturally that I`m sure this debut in one of Zhang Yimou`s movies will bring them lots of other great opportunities. I`ll watch anything else with these two in the cast, together or individually. ~

2yl8r9i.jpg

Shawn Dou and Zhou Dongyu at Busan Fest

11ql4ro.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived