HOCKEY --> Red Wings Steve Yzerman retires.

Guest heygingersnap

Guest heygingersnap

The Captain has called it a career.

Center Steve Yzerman, a Red Wing since 1983 and their captain since 1986, announced Monday afternoon that he had retired from playing hockey.

“I feel very relieved and very comfortable,” Yzerman said at a news conference at Joe Louis Arena. “I want to let everyone know I’ve decided to retire, to hang up my skates.”

Yzerman said that going into the 2005-06 season he figured it would be his last. But he said he thought long and hard after the season before deciding not to return for one more.

“I really enjoyed my final season with the Red Wings,” he said.

He summed up his long tenure this way:

“I’ve enjoyed my career immensely in Detroit.”

Wings legends Gordie Howe and Ted Lindsay and several of Yzerman’s teammates attended the afternoon news conference. So did Wings owner Mike Ilitch.

Yzerman played 22 seasons — all in Detroit. He leaves as the longest-serving captain in NHL history. He ranks sixth all-time in points (1,755), seventh in assists (1,063) and eighth in goals (692). He played in 1,514 games.

Among Yzerman’s comments:

· “I’m thrilled that I was part of the Ilitch family and organization.”

· “I had the great fortune to play for one of the great sports franchises.”

· “I look forward to a lot more free time with my wife, Lisa, and my children.”

· “I look forward to a future in the game of hockey with the Red Wings in some aspect.”

Yzerman appeared ready to announce his decision May 1, the night the Wings lost to Edmonton in Game 6 of the first round of the playoffs. But three days later he appeared much more upbeat and clearly was wavering about what to do.

Since that time, coaches, friends and teammates have said the same thing about Yzerman: His desire is to keep playing, but he has had severe doubts about his physical ability to put his body through another 82-game season.

Yzerman turned 41 on May 9, but that in itself is hardly reason to step down — after all, teammate Chris Chelios, 44, has signed on for another season. But throughout much of his career Yzerman has been hampered by his right knee, and it got so bad he needed radical surgery on it in the summer of 2002.

That caused him to miss the first 66 games of the following season, but Yzerman recovered and played 75 games the next season, 2003-2004. It’s possible he might have retired after that season, had it not been for how it ended — with Yzerman leaving Game 5 of the second-round series against Calgary bloodied in the left-eye area after getting hit by an errant puck.

“Steve wanted to leave on his own terms,” former teammate Gerard Gallant said. “He didn’t want to leave with those injuries.”

Yzerman used the lockout season, 2004-05, to rest and recuperate, but still had a frustrating start to 2005-06. A groin injury nagged throughout the season, to the point he contemplated retiring in December, admitting it was something he thought about every day.

He withdrew his name from consideration for the Canadian Olympic team, excluding the possibility of returning to help capture a second-straight gold medal. Instead he used the break to heal — and then came back a changed man.

Yzerman was one of the Wings’ best players down the stretch and into the playoffs, until he suffered a torn oblique muscle in Game 3. He returned for Game 6 and set up a goal in what will stand as his last game.

The Wings have a front-office job ready for Yzerman, as special assistant to general manager Ken Holland. Yzerman repeatedly has said he is not very interested in coaching, although he concedes it is the closest a player can come to retaining the exhilaration of playing.

With Yzerman gone, elite defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom could be the logical choice to take over the captaincy. “It would be an honor if that happens,” Lidstrom said recently.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...NEWS99/60703010

Guest DOVAHKIIN

Quote to the local sports radio station: "So Steve Yzerman retires after 211 seasons in the NHL at the age of 1200.."

Stevie Y = One of the best

Guest dark_chancellor

Quote to the local sports radio station: "So Steve Yzerman retires after 211 seasons in the NHL at the age of 1200.."

Stevie Y = One of the best

....i don't get it :tears:

Guest DOVAHKIIN

It's implying how old he is and how long he's been playing.

I found it a bit amusing.

Sorry Ben, you're not old enough ;]

Guest dark_chancellor

It's implying how old he is and how long he's been playing.

I found it a bit amusing.

Sorry Ben, you're not old enough ;]

I'm older than YOU! >=O

Archived