Which is Better: Bare Minerals vs. Sheer Cover???

Guest hOski

Guest hOski

Which is the better mineral makeup?
Everyone knows the famous and popular mineral makeup Bare Minerals, right? Recently, I saw an info-mercial about another "revolution" on mineral makeup, Sheer Cover. They're both made of "pure, natural, healthy-for-your-skin" minerals and claim they improve the look of your skin and give you the full coverage of a liquid foundation, but still feel lightweight on your skin. Both companies include a powder brush, concealer brush, and an "amazing" mineral mascara. On TV, Bare Minerals has a pretty high price of around $39.99, I think...? Sheer Cover's price is just $10.00 cheaper at $29.99.

I prefer Bare Minerals just because I'm more familiar with the makeup, but both commercials could seem pretty convincing. Still, the commercial for Sheer Cover appeared a little more rehearsed and fake. So, let's compare and contrast ^-^ :

Bare Minerals: (from the website)

$59.98 Offer Includes:

* 2 shades of bareMinerals Original SPF 15 Foundation, size Medium

* 1 Mineral Veil Finishing Powder, size Medium

* 1 Warmth All-Over Face Color, size Medium

* 1 Handi Buki Brush

* 1 Flawless Application Face Brush

* 1 Maximum Coverage Concealer Brush

* 4 Bonus Gifts:

- 1 bareMinerals Flawless Definition Mascara

- 1 Limited Edition Refillable Mirrored Compact with Brush

- 1 Precision Concealer Brush

- 1 How-to DVD to show you how to Swirl, Tap, Buff your way back to the skin you were born with

* bareMinerals Club Membership

* Now in NEW Click, Lock, Go packaging

***Shades come in: Fair, Light, Medium, Tan, Dark, and Deep

Ingredients: [they claim they have only 5 ingredients] Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Bismuth Oxychloride, Mica

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheer Cover: (from the website)

Only $29.95 Makeup Kit Includes:

* Mineral Foundation SPF 15

* Duo Concealer

* Pocket Duo Kit

* Conditioning Concealer

* Studio Concealer Brush

* Studio Contouring Brush

* Studio Powder Brush

* Extra Length Mineral

* Mascara

* Sheer Color Compact

* Makeup Case

* Tips & Tricks DVD

* Lip-to-Lid Highlighter

* Sampler Card

***Shades come in: Light, Medium, Tan, Dark

Ingredients: Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide (12.00%). Other Ingredients: Boron Nitride, Bisabolol, Aspalathus Linearis Leaf Extract, May Contain (+/-): Mica, Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bare Minerals Claims:

People who suffer from acne, sensitive skin and rosacea can use Bare Minerals products without it aggravating their skin. Since Bare Minerals products are made from natural ingredients, it is much safer for acne sufferers to use Bare Minerals than many other brand of makeup on the market. Bare Minerals products do not clog pores and can be used to hide skin flaws.

Sheer Cover Claims:

- Contains 100% pure minerals with NO oils, perfumes, dyes or talcs, so it's gentle and non-irritating - even for sensitive skin.

- True Shade Technology™ ensures that the powders blend in with your skin tone for a perfect color match.

- Feels light, allows the skin to breathe and goes beyond just covering up - it actually deflects light away from flaws.

- Contains anti-oxidants designed to protect your skin from damaging free radicals. keeping it natural and healthy.

- Helps filter the sun's harmful rays and works as a natural sunscreen. It protects against the visible signs of premature aging with SPF 15.

So girls, what do you think???

Bare Minerals or Sheer Cover

never tried sheer cover, but i can tell you that bare minerals did not work for me whatsoever. it made my skin break out quite badly. and it took me like 2 weeks to recover from it. never buying it again. what a waste of 30 bucks.

Guest fierymeadow@yahoo.com

I've never tried Bare Minearls. I've just ordered Sheer cover and it hasn't gotten here but I'll let you know. I've use Everyday Mineral for 3 years now and I LOVE it! It's so affordable and so may tones to choose from and the ingredients are few. I have oily skin and acne prone, EverydayMineral mineral powder controls oil and doesn't cause break-out. But sine my skin produces a lot of oil, my make-up look dewy later in the day. The make-up lasts through the whole day without touch-up.

If anyone's wondering, I've tried drug-store brand Physician Formula pressed power mineral and it's not that great. I think it makes my skin break-up a little and it looks dry and doesn't blend into my skin. Maybe because I got the wrong shade or because I used the brush it came with and not a power brush. But still, I don't recommend the Physician Formula.

Guest mackie17

Bare minerals make my face really oily and breaks me out. I tried Sheer Cover before and it has good coverage, but after a few hours it oxides and it turns my face orange. Plus it I get lots of white heads after using it.

I personally prefer Everyday Minerals. It's very affordable and comes in different shades. It controls my oils and provides good coverage. It also doesn't make me break out which is a PLUS.

Guest hyeminnie

I've used both versions of Bare Minerals and tried out Sheer Cover and honestly, all of them suck.

Bare Minerals has no staying power and almost no coverage

Sheer Cover is so gritty and glittery. I tried swatching some on my hand and I could feel the gritty lumps of minerals. If you look at the MakeupAlley reviews, you'll see the majority find it horrible. 

Everyday Minerals is a popular mineral makeup choice here, and I've tried it, but it also had no staying power. I currently use adorned with Grace foundation. If you have yellow/olive skin, you might find a good match with them. Their foundations have extremely full coverage.

Better companies:

Silk Naturals

Lucy Minerals

adorned with Grace

Guest IntangiblyYours

I don't use either but my sister uses Bare Minerals. She used to break out a lot and even Proactiv never worked on her. She never had problems using Bare Minerals before (afasik) and she even asked me if I wanted to try it once.

Guest teamints

I've used both. I've never had a problem with Bare Minerals and neither have any of my friends who break out reallly easily to products.

I highly highly highly suggest you try looking at makeupalley for product reviews~

Guest ichigobunnie

i havent used sheer cover but i have used bare minerals. i guess im allergic to the bismuth oxychloride that in it so it irritates my skin. i cant use it. but in either way, it didnt seem to stay put that long on my face(tho ill be fair i didnt have foundation primer on) and i just feel bare minerals is overhyped just bc it was featured on tv a lot

Archived