[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

August 17, 2010

Lee Da-hae & Han Hye-jin at SBS 20th anniversary event

Photographer: Han Youn-jong Editor: Jessica Kim

2010081710500449760_1.jpg

Actress Lee Da-hae poses at an event celebrating the 20th anniversary of major broadcaster SBS held at its headquarters on August 16, 2010.

2010081710442399014_1.jpg

Actress Han Hye-jin poses at an event celebrating the 20th anniversary of major broadcaster SBS held at its headquarters on August 16, 2010.

Photographer: Han Youn-jong hyj0709 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

August 17, 2010

Song Seung-heon denies dating Son Dambi

Reporter : Park Kun-ouc Editor : Jessica Kim

2010081711035199189_1.jpg

Song Seung-heon (left) and Son Dambi [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean heartthrob Song Seung-hun has said he does not mind being involved in a scandal with popular songstress Son Dambi but that a report alleging that the two are an item are "unfortunately not true."

The 33-year-old actor made the remark Tuesday during a press conference for his upcoming movie "The Invincible," responding to the news published in local daily Seoul Shinmun yesterday.

The paper had quoted multiple witnesses who had spotted Song and Son often hanging out together with friends and then the two riding together, separately from their friends, when going home. "My first response was 'wow' when I first heard it from my manager who called me to ask me about it...... She's considered the sexiest singer in Korea so I actually didn't mind it," Song said.

The actor, who has been filming "The Invincible" on overseas locations till recently then added, "It's only been a week since I've returned to Korea so I thought about how the scandal came about when I realized that I had run into her at a Japanese restaurant not long ago but I don't think she saw me."

Representatives for both stars had dismissed the report yesterday, saying that the two are not even friends.

An official at Song's agency Storm S. Company explained that Song is "not even acquainted with Son on a personal level and have never met privately one-on-one" while Pledis said Son is "extremely busy these days with her shooting schedule for music and variety shows."

Song has been one of Korea's hottest male actors since appearing in popular sitcom "Three Guys and Three Girls" (MBC, 1996) and has since starred in many television dramas and films including the smash hits "Autumn Tale" (KBS2, 2000), "Summer Scent" (KBS2, 2003) and "East of Eden" (MBC, 2008).

"The Invincible," a Korean remake of the Hong Kong classic "A Better Tomorrow," is set for a release around the Korean Chuseok holidays in late September.

Song is also set to make a comeback to the small screen later this year through TV series "My Princess" opposite top Korean actress Kim Tae-hee.

Son, 26, debuted through single "Cry Eye" in 2007 and has released two mini-albums and a full-length album to date. She is best known for her 2008 hit "Crazy" and has also tried her hand at acting through SBS TV series "Dream" with Kim Bum.

She is currently promoting her third mini-album "queen" which was released in early July.

Reporter : Park Kun-ouc kun1112@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 17, 2010

Nam Gyu-ri to make music comeback after 2 years

Reporter: Lucia Hong Editor: Jessica Kim

2010081712262258852_1.jpg

Korean singer and actress Nam Gyu-ri [Eyagi Entertainment]

Korean singer and actress Nam Gyu-ri will be taking to the singing stage after a two year hiatus from music, according to her agency Eyagi Entertainment on Tuesday.

A press release from Eyagi announced that Nam was invited to perform at the six-day Korea-China Cultural Exchange Festival in Xining, China, which kicked off yesterday, where she will sing three songs including "Flying in the Deep Night" and "Bicycle Comes Through My Heart "on August 19.

"Nam Gyu-ri is excited about taking to the stage and she has been visiting the recording studio to rehearse for her performance in between her drama shoots," an official from Eyagi was quoted as saying.

Four-member ballad boy band 2AM and other Chinese artists will also be performing at the cultural festival.

Nam, 25, made her debut in 2006 as the leader of female trio SeeYa but left the band in April 2009 after her contract with her former agency ended. She pursued a solo career thereafter, appearing in several films and dramas with her most notable acting role in 2008 horror film "Death Bell" alongside Korean actor Kim Bum.

Nam is currently playing the role of Yang Cho-rong in the SBS weekend family drama "Beautiful Life."

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 17, 2010

Jo Hyun-jae to hold fan meetings in Japan and Hong Kong

2010081713325656705_1.jpg

Korean actor Jo Hyun-jae [sTARNHIT Entertainment]

Korean actor Jo Hyun-jae will be holding fan meetings in several Asian countries this coming August, according to his agency STARNHIT Entertainment on Tuesday.

STARNHIT announced in a press release that Jo, who completed his mandatory two-year military service on June 19, will hold his first fan meeting in Osaka on August 21 and in Tokyo the next day. He will also be visiting Hong Kong and Macau the following week. During his trip to Hong Kong and Macau, taking place as an official event on invitation of the country's TV service provider Now TV, Jo will have interviews with the local press, shoot a television show and hold an autograph session.

Jo will be the first Korean star to appear in the show titled "Korea Stars Now," shot by local cable company OCB, a Hallyu program featuring the daily life of the actor, which will premiere in Hong Kong through Now TV. "The fan meetings are a way for Jo to show his appreciation for his fans who have supported him while he was in the military," explained an official from STARNHIT, adding that they have future plans for the actor to visit other Asian countries.

Jo, 30, first started out in the entertainment industry through the commercial for sports drink Pocari Sweat in 2000. He became well-known in Asia for his roles in SBS '"Rays of Sunshine" (2004), "Only You" (2005) and KBS' "Three Dads and One Mom" (2008).

He also appeared in movies "GP506" (2008) and "Untold Scandal" (2003) alongside Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon and Cannes best actress award-winner Jeon Do-youn.

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 17, 2010

Rare Pictures Show a Young, Understated Andre Kim

Pictures from the early career of Korea's best-known fashion designer Andre Kim, who died last week, show the flamboyant designer before he started wearing and making his trademark all-white outfits.

You Jae-ryuk, one of Korea's first commercial photographers, revealed the pictures of Kim taken in 1963 and 1964 to the Chosun Ilbo on Monday. They show clothes that Kim made immediately after he opened Salon Andre across from the Chosun Hotel in Sogong-dong, central Seoul, in 1962.

2010081700999_0.jpg

Andre Kim with model Cho Hye-ran (center) and actress Tae Hyun-sil (right) in the 1960s

/Courtesy of photographer You Jae-ryuk

In the pictures, Kim works with top actress Tae Hyun-sil and popular models Cho Hye-ran and Monica Yoo. "Kim's clothes started becoming popular among the wives of diplomats in Korea as soon as he debuted in 1962," recalls the 73-year-old photographer. "These pictures were taken for a special fashion catalogue for winter 1963-1964."

Although Kim is now known for his trademark elaborate dresses, usually in white, in his early days he focused on simple, modern styles in restrained colors. "It's really difficult to find pictures of his pre-1980 clothes. These are very valuable as they are rare pictures showing Kim's works before he built his own white fashion world," says Toh Shin-woo, the head of agency Model Center and a long-time friend.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

August 17, 2010

sidusHQ denies Jun Ji-hyun moving to new agency

Reporter: Ko Kyoung-seok Editor: Jessica Kim

2010081717090466024_1.jpg

Jun Ji-hyun [sidusHQ]

Rumor that Korean actress Jun Ji-hyun will leave sidusHQ, her management agency of 14 years, has surfaced once again but the agency has said no decision has been made as of yet.

A report carried by sports daily Sports Hankook on Tuesday said the 27-year-old actress' contract with sidusHQ ends in late August and she has decided to sign with a newly established agency for 1.5 billion won, equivalent to nearly 1.3 million dollars. "It is true her contract expires at the end of the month but we are looking at various measures including resigning with her but no decisions have been made," an official at sidusHQ told Asia Economic Daily over the phone.

This is not the first time such news has circulated about the actress - media reports had said in May that the actress will be going solo after her contract expires but sidusHQ had dismissed the rumors, saying such talk "always comes up" around the time of her contract renewal.

The actress was engulfed in an ugly scandal last year where her agency illegally duplicated her mobile phone to tap into her phone records. Many expected her to leave the agency but she surprised everyone by extending her contract with sidus for an additional year.

Jun Ji-hyun, whose English name is Gianna Jun, became a household name after starring in the 2001 hit film "My Sassy Girl." She made her international debut last year through film "Blood: The Last Vampire", she recently wrapped up filming "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" with Hollywood actor Hugh Jackman and Chinese actress Li Bingbing.

Reporter: Ko Kyoung-seok kave @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 17, 2010

Park Chan-kyung makes feature film debut

Director Park Chan-kyong looks somehow familiar ― the round features, the sharp light in his eyes and the way he talks about films.

Yes, the 2004 Hermes Missulsang Prize winning media artist and short film director Park is the younger brother of Park Chan-wook, the famed director of “Thirst” and “Oldboy.” The two brothers both show exquisite talent in making films, one for the short and one for the long.

“I can’t speak for my brother but I think I was probably influenced by him in many ways although I don’t know exactly what it is. Ever since we were young, he read a lot and knew lot about art and music. We don’t see each other that often because he is so busy but we do enjoy talking about films when we sometimes get together on family occasions. We mostly agree on what is a good film and what is not,” said the younger Park.

He may be less known to the public but Park Chan-kyung is no less famous than his brother in the art field for his unique and profound short films, media art and photography. This summer, however, he has been trying something new, advancing into his brother’s genre ― making a feature film.

Tucked away in the basement of a small building in Cheongun-dong, central Seoul, the younger Park’s crew ― although some work for both Parks ― were busy glaring at monitors. Park’s first feature film titled “We wish to Reincarnate in Paradise” was just going through some final polishes.

The film, a 90-minute-long documentary/fiction about the city of Anyang, is part of the Anyang Public Art Project 2010. It is about research a movie production team conducts before the crank in of a movie in Anyang. Eight different episodes ― some nonfiction and some fiction ― that represent the research are interwoven throughout the movie.

“It is not just about Anyang but also about Korea’s small and medium cities and women in Anyang,” said Park. “There used to be many factories in Anyang in the 1970s and 1980s. The film includes historical episodes like the 1988 fire in Greenhill factory in which 22 female workers, who were always locked up in the dorm at night, all burned to death.”

20100817000950_0.jpg

Park Chan-kyong holds up a shaman’s hat he bought at a shamanist costume shop near Jogyesa to use in his first feature film “We Wish to Reincarnate in Paradise.” Park Hyun-koo/The Korea Herald

As APAP 2010 promotes the participation of citizens in all of its projects, Anyang citizens also participated in the making of the film as actors, musicians and more. Music played by an amateur band in Anyang will be used as background music.

The public only started to recognize the trend recently thanks to this year’s Cannes winner Apichatpong Weerasethakul, but it has been a while that the border between feature films and short films or media art has been blur, said Park. “It started about 15 years ago when some artists like Cindy Sherman started to use films. Then there is Julian Schnabel, Andy Warhol and many more artists who made some great films. There are also some moviemakers who hold art exhibitions, like Tim Burton. There is really no boundary between the genres any more. If there were, it would rather be a boundary between commercial films and the others,” said Park.

He said that his brother found his first feature film interesting. Would Park be heading for Cannes in the near future, too?

“It would be great if I could, but I don’t think I am at that level yet. This is my first long documentary film and the scale is not that big. It would be great to have my films showcased like that (in big festivals) but I think I would probably be showcasing my artworks at art exhibitions as my original profession is an artist,” he said with a laugh.

Park said that he discovered some unfamiliar joys and charms about feature films.

“One of the charms I found about movies is that they have a different kind of audience from those who go to see artworks. You know what they say, only your family and friends see your artworks. You don’t always expect to find entertaining works at an art exhibition and often end up ‘studying’ the works. But at the cinema, the audience expects to see something amusing,” said Park.

“Yes, I did try to make the film ‘entertaining,’ at least not boring, although it might not be the kind of fun the public normally expects from movies. I never tried to make my artworks ‘entertaining,’ so it was a different experience for me.”

Park’s first feature film will be showcased through APAP 2010 in September. For more information, visit www.apap2010.org.

By Park Min-young (claire@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

August 17, 2010

'Tomorrow' remake to bring macho drama

By Lee Hyo-won

100817401.jpg

John Woo’s “A Better Tomorrow” showed the world what Hong Kong noir was all about, and the Korean remake of the 1986 classic is now awaiting release on Chuseok next month, with the support of Woo as a producer.

Through a video clip released by the film’s publicist, Woo said he decided to participate in the project because of the confidence he had in director Song Hae-sung and the cast members. And indeed, the new “Tomorrow” has caught the attention of even those who didn’t grow up watching the original film, as it brings together four of the most sought-after stars — Joo Jin-mo, Song Seung-hun, Kim Gang-woo and Jo Han-sun — under the helm of director Song, whose critically acclaimed films include “Failan” and “Maudy Thursday.”

“The movie’s appeal has been strengthened by the power of the actors,” director Song told reporters Tuesday in Seoul. “The sole fact that these actors have come together in one scene itself is a big selling point for the movie, and the main focus should be watching how these men deliver their roles.”

Joo plays Hyeok, the head of a crime ring, who reunites with his younger brother Cheol (Kim), with whom he was separated when they were young. But Cheol, a police officer, believes Hyeok had abandoned him, and is determined to channel his anger into efforts to arrest him. Meanwhile, Yeong-chun (Song) and Tae-min (Jo) are the best of friends but things go awry when Tae-min betrays the gang. Due to Tae-min’s scheming the other three become tangled up in a messy situation and tragedy ensues.

“‘A Better Tomorrow’ is every man’s fantasy,” said Song Seung-hun. “I was worried because the comparison with the original is inevitable. But our movie is not a simple remake; it’s a reinterpretation based on the framework of the original, with Korean values and its own color.”

Kim agreed, and added, “I have more confidence in our film because I feel that the characters have added dimension and complex emotions.” Jo, for example brings an edgier character — including a tough Busan dialect — after pulling off stunts and slapstick in “Attack the Gas Station 2.” He said, “I discovered new sides to my own personality through my screen persona, who is really ambitious and evil.” His three co-stars said they were quite jealous of Jo who got to play the powerful villain.

Joo also said the original film has had a special place in his heart ever since he saw it in his youth, but he decided not to watch it during the shoot because he was afraid he would imitate the acting.

In the Woo film, screen legends like Chow Yun-fat and the late Leslie Cheung defined macho chic with sunglasses, raincoats and gun-toting action. Action is still a big part of the 10 billion-won remake, and the actors recalled the adrenaline-pumping sequences that were shot in four different countries including Korea, China, Japan and Thailand.

Joo, who revealed his rough side through Kwak Kyung-taek’s “Love,” remembered suffering from skin problems while shooting a water sequence in Thailand, while Song, who showed he was more than a pretty face in “Fate,” said it was agonizing to pull off “life-threatening” stunts himself. “There was a scene where I had to jump stories onto a car and then roll on the ground. The martial arts director asked if I wanted to do it myself, and I was hoping the director would stop me, but he averted eye contact,” he said. “I felt betrayed and had no choice but to do it myself.”

Kim, who made a turn from melodramas to water-treading action in “Marine Boy,” recalled a startling car explosion scene. “(Jo) Han-sun was closer to the explosion while the three of us were farther away. We were so shocked because it was a lot louder than we expected, and when I didn’t see Han-sun I was worried for a moment he might have died. And this was not long after he became a father. He came out of it uninjured but was all sulky.”

The director meanwhile said he was thankful for the actors for braving the dangerous scenes. But he stressed that the movie is first and foremost driven by the drama rather than the action: “The movie is really propelled by the emotional interaction between the characters and the action is there to heighten and express the dramatic tension.”

In theaters on Sept. 22. Distributed by CJ Entertainment.

Source: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

August 17, 2010

Bedeviled Release Date Set

2010081708127713101.jpg

Korean audiences will be able to see Puchon winner Bedeviled at cinemas this September. The film has had a good run: after premiering at Cannes in the Critics Week section it went on to win the ‘Puchon Choice Feature’, the festival’s top award. The film has garnered first time director JANG Cheol-soo with much acclaim. Prior to this he had made a name for himself as KIM Ki-duk’s first assistant director.

Bedeviled has surprised and shocked viewers with its ironic flavored mix of comedy, parochial melodrama and its slasher horror climax. A dissatisfied Seoulite, darkened by her urban experience, leaves her job in a huff to escape to the island of her birth. Rather than the glowing hues she thought she experienced as a child she finds a violent, bigoted and deeply insular mini society. In the middle of this, subject to the physical and mental abuse of both the men and the old women on the island is Boknam, a woman who used to be the friend of the island’s new visitor. Finally after years of abuse, and after her young daughter is killed, Boknam takes off on a murderous rampage painting the island in even darker colours.

David Oxenbridge <KOFIC>

August 18, 2010

"Dong Yi" and "Giant" fight for the No. 1 spot on TV charts

2010081810083489573_1.jpg

Korean dramas "Giant" (top) and "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" (bottom) [sBS / MBC]

MBC's historical epic "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" and SBS '"Giant" continued their fight to grab the crown for the No. 1 show in the country this week.

Figures from TNmS (Total National Multimedia Statstics) on Wednesday revealed that "Dong Yi," starring Han Hyo-joo and Ji Jin-hee, held onto the title as the most-watched television show in the country for the 19th straight week with ratings of 23.3 percent on August 16 and 24.8 percent the next day.

Coming in at the runner-up position was SBS 'drama "Giant" bringing in ratings of 22.8 percent on Monday and 24 percent last night, keeping the race for the top spot for Monday and Tuesday nights tight.

Meanwhile, data from AGB Nielsen Media Research indicated that "Giant," about three siblings who were separated after losing their parents later come together to seek revenge for them, took its second consecutive win with ratings of 22.4 percent on August 16 and 24.9 percent on August 17.

MBC's drama "Dong Yi" maintained its position at No. 2 with viewership ratings of 22.7 percent on Monday and 21.6 percent the following day.

August 18, 2010

Song Joong-ki says will suggest Micky bed scene if ratings fall

Photographer : Chae ki-won Editor : Lee Ji-Hye Editor : Jessica Kim

Upcoming KBS TV series "Sungkyunkwan Scandal," set to premiere on August 30, has been garnering attention from viewers for a while now for two reasons. One, because it is based on hit romance novel, and two, because of its cast composed of stars Micky Yoochun (playing the role of Lee Seon-joon), Park Min-young (Kim Yoon-hee) and Song Joong-ki (Goo Yong-ha). That is why the questions the four main characters were asked focused on asking the differences between the original novel and the drama, the atmosphere on set and the teamwork. Below are excerpts from the press conference held at the W hotel on Tuesday.

2010081815382599999_1.jpg

Q: Do you think there have been any changes made to your character in the drama compared to the original novel?

Park Min-young: While my character was more of a lady of refined manner in the novel, she will be more of a playful and mischievous person in the drama. She has become someone who is more cheerful and lively although I don't know whether it's because I'm playing the role or because it's a historical drama with young characters. My character changes more toward the latter half of the show so I think her cute and loveable personality from the first half will have a dramatic effect on it.

Yu A-in: In the novel, my character Jae-shin is so manly and comic-like that I thought, 'Nobody like this exists in the whole world.' So I'm keeping the elements that may help add to the fun of the show but trying to leave out the cheesiness. From a realistic standpoint, I guess you could say that he now isn't annoying?

Park: Jae-shin in episode 8 is cuter and funnier than any guy you've ever seen. Like Yu just said, you'll get to see a lighter version of Jae-shin.

Yu: I'm worried whether I've done a good job of taking out the cheesiness but I'm also very worried whether I'm betraying my character from the original work that viewers may be looking forward to seeing.

Q: You had said at a previous press conference that you're working very hard to become your character Lee Seon-joon. What about now?

Micky Yoochun: The aspect in which I related to Lee Seon-joon the most was in how he feels a pressure that is invisible. I think the reason he becomes so strict about principles is because of how he always tries to read his dad's mind, and I actually felt a lot of a similar sort of pressure from my work. It's not something I feel as a star, not that I am even one.

Song Joong-ki: Yuchun, you are a star!

Micky: Anyway, it felt like I was starting to forget who I was although I hadn't meant to, so I think I was able to related to him a lot in that sense.

2010081815382599999_2.jpg

Q: How would you rate your own acting based on what's been filmed so far?

Micky: I'm gonna have to start building up on the points. I don't think I'm in the position to rate myself.

Song: I realized that Micky is really a hard worker. I actually was had somewhat of a prejudice about idol singer-turned-actors but I was very moved by how hard Micky works. I once gave him advice on his acting which could hurt his pride as an actor but he listened to me with modesty. I hadn't expected that so I was surprised.

Q: Then how do you feel Song, you who have been considered to sync the best with your character Goo Yong-ha who likes to make jokes and is interested in indulging in sexual relationships?

Park: Earlier on when the 'hanbok' fashion show with Miss Koreas was on, Song looked at the que sheet and said, "The Miss Koreas go out in the first part and then the actors. I guess I'll just sneak out when the Miss Koreas go out." There's a reason the sync rate is so high. (laughs)

Song: (Sighs) It's true that I said that. My mind woke up even after I had stayed up all night shooting yesterday when I heard Miss Koreas were going to be here. But this is all just part of my concept -- I'm not actually like this. Um, and I'm a man too so I guess there is a side to me that's somewhat like that. Ah, Park! You! (laughs)

Q: Then who do you think is prettier between your fellow actors Seo Hyo-rim and Park Min-young versus the Miss Koreas?

Song: Ha... That's a really hard question. I think Hyo-rim and Min-young are prettier. It's actually because it hurts my pride to see that the Miss Koreas are taller than me. (laugh)

2010081815382599999_3.jpg

Q: There are four main characters in "Sungkyunkwan Scandal" but it's true that the attention is turned to Micky. Don't you feel disappointed about that as a fellow actor?

Park: Our show is receiving a lot of attention because of him so I feel that we've all been blessed. And Micky's fans send tributes to the set three times a week.

Yu: That's right. (laughs)

Park: There isn't much to eat on set because it's in the Mungyeongsaejae Provincial Park but they sent lunchboxes from a family restaurant to every crew member. There was so much to each. It feels like we're working with a newcomer actor who is extremely popular.

Yu: A popular newcomer? That's kind of ironical. (laughs)

Q: But don't you also feel pressured by such fans? Park Min-young, you in particular must be envied by them because you get involved with Micky in the drama.

Park: A fan once pinched my back on set. (laughs) It stung but I felt that she would do it again if I showed that it hurt, so I just walked by quietly. And then I rubbed it when nobody was looking. (laughs) But I think it's so cute how she would do that to the actress her idol singer is acting with. I've also received notes online saying how much they envy me. But I've already been through that with Big Bang so it's okay. (laughs)

Q: I heard that Xiah Junsu visited the set too with 100 fried chickens. Was it good?

Micky: It was really good, all cold. (laugh) But I was really touched. He spent his own money for it... And he's not the type to.

Q: You must sometimes miss being a singer when you see your fans who visit the set?

Micky: I recently held a concert in Japan and the memory from it is still there because I was standing on stage with a mic for the first time in a while. I'm holding a mic right now too but holding it as a singer is very different so I miss it a lot.

Song: What are you talking about? You held a mic at a karaoke room a few days ago. (laughs)

2010081815382599999_4.jpg

Q: Lastly, what do you expect the ratings to be for the show?

Song: I'll be happy if the ratings come out well and sad if they don't but I don't think an actor should obsess too much over the ratings. I do however, want our show to do better than "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" and "Giant." (laugh) I'm personally hoping for about 17 percent? Oh, no. I once was in a drama that hit 17 percent on its premiere episode but the ratings kept falling after that. I feel uneasy now.

Micky: It's the first time I'm paying attention to viewership ratings. I guess you could say we're safe if we get about 15 percent?

Song: Oh, yes, I'd like it around there too. If it looks like the ratings are going to drop, I'm thinking of suggesting to the scenarist that Micky to a bed scene. That'll probably boost ratings, right?

Q: Didn't you say at the last press conference that he doesn't have such a great body?

Song: Oh, that's right!!! Then I guess they'd [ratings] fall. Nevermind!

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

2010081800304_0.jpg

Park Min-young poses at a hanbok fashion show as part of a press event for her new TV drama in Seoul on Tuesday

2010081800304_1.jpg

2010081800304_2.jpg

2010081800304_3.jpg

August 18, 2010

Bae Yong Joon, Kim Hyun Joong to Participate in December Charity Event

Hallyu stars Bae Yong Joon and Kim Hyun Joong will participate in the charity event entitled ”Message! To Asia,” which is to be held as part of the “Smile Project” charity program, on December 14 at the Tokyo Dome in Japan, their agency Keyeast stated on August 16.

7480_1520_l.jpg

A spokesperson for Keyeast added, “The profit from the charity event will be donated under the name of 'Smile Project,' and a specific program has not yet been decided, but the two people will actively participate in the event.”

Japanese star singer Gackt and Taiwanese actor Vanness Wu will also appear in the event.

The “Smile Project” has been hosted by Japanese DATV and it was originally designed to make a contribution to society by helping children, who will lead our future, to live everyday lives filled with smiles. Through the non-profit organization KnK (Kokkyo naki Kodomotachi, meaning "borderless children"), the donated money will be used to help underprivileged children in Cambodia and the Philippines.

7480_1521_l.jpg

The spokesperson continued, “Bae Yong Joon and Kim Hyun Joong willingly decided to take part in the project by considering that the project is a long term project to help children under difficult situations to smile again. Two people expressed the thought that they wish more smiles could be spread to more children, and that the children will be able to smile again with renewed hope in their lives through this event.”

Source: KBS Global

August 18, 2010

3 keypoints of attraction for TV series "SungKyunKwan Scandal"

Photographer : Chae ki-won Editor : Lee Ji-Hye Editor : Jessica Kim

2010081817230577096_1.jpg

From left, actors Jeon Tae-soo, Yu A-in, Park Min-young, Micky Yoochun, Seo Hyo-rim and Song Joong-ki

wave during a photocall of a press conference for upcoming KBS TV series "SungKyunKwan Scandal"

held at the W hotel in Seoul, South Korea on August 17, 2010. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

On August 10, statistics by AGB Nielsen Media Research revealed that SBS TV series "Giant" scored a viewership rating of 22.9 percent, beating MBC's historical drama by 1.6 percent. But "Dong Yi" brushed past "Giant" the following week by a difference of 0.3 percentage points, indicating that upcoming KBS show "SungKyunKwan Scandal" is up for tough competition when it premieres on August 30. What are the elements that will be attractive for viewers?

2010081817230577096_2.jpg

Micky Yoochun from a scene

in "SungKyunKwan Scandal" [KBS]

Point of Attraction 1. Micky Yoochun

The reason "SungKyunKwan Scandal" has garnered attention since its casting stages is because of Micky Yoochun's popularity -- the idol group singer will play the role of main character Lee Seon-joon from the original novel by Jung Eun-gwol. The novel, a bestseller which has sold over 500,000 copies since being published in 2007, is about the romance between four men and women set at Confucian academy SungKyunKwan during the Chosun Dynasty. Micky will play Lee the perfectionist, Song Joong-ki the sly Goo Yong-ha, Yu A-in the tough guy Moon Jae-shin and Park Min-young the woman in man disguise Kim Yoon-hee who takes a state exam in place of her sick younger brother. Thanks to the hot popularity of the original novel, numerous simulations regarding the casting had floated on the Internet and the show received increased hype when Micky Yoochun, who has almost no acting experience, was chosen to play one of the main characters. The fact that the singer has been enjoying great popularity throughout Asia from his career as a member of TVXQ may have had a considerable amount of influence on his casting since it will help the show sell overseas but director Kim Won-suk quelled possible concerns by saying, "He has a good voice and attractive features as an actor, as well as a good attitude when it comes to acting."

2010081817230577096_3.jpg

Song Joong-ki from a scene

in "SungKyunKwan Scandal" [KBS]

Point of Attraction 2. Synchronization Rate of Cast

Ultimately, casting is probably key to the success of "SungKyunKwan Scandal." Bringing the characters to life -- the original novel has proven they are attractive -- will act as a safety bar for the show's viewership ratings which go up and down as if on a roller coaster ride. In that sense, the combination of the four main actors is quite appealing. Song Joong-ki, who has been acknowledged by both netizens and fellow actors as being the closest in person to his character from the original novel, perfectly reenacted his role as Goo Yong-ha by joking at the show's press conference that he "woke up even after staying up all night upon hearing Miss Koreas were going to be here," and revealing wicked and sly smiles in a preview clip for the drama. Park Min-young, who said she wrapped 20 rounds of bandages around herself to hide her female figure, originally has a mid-to-low toned voice and wears almost no make-up for the series, also showed the possibility of pulling off her role as a woman in man disguise easily by showing that she is close to a being bright boy rather than a beautiful lady.

2010081818143656307_4.jpg

A scene from "SungKyunKwan Scandal" [KBS]

Point of Attraction 3. A cheerful historical drama with young people

Like "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" which is set in the mid-Chosun Dynasty and "Giant" in the 70s to 80s, "SungKyunKwan Scandal" too takes place at a specific time and place -- the Confucian academy SungKyunKwang during the Chosun Dynasty -- but it definitely differentiates itself in terms of concept being a historical drama about young characters. "We incorporated the romantic elements, such as the romance between four men and women and a slightly sexual love story, into the drama exactly the way it is in the original novel," director Kim Won-suk said. His words prove that the show is mainly targeted at females in the teens to thirties range and viewers who do not like the typical and serious historical dramas. How much of a change will "SungKyunKwan Scandal" bring to the competition on Monday and Tuesday nights.

Reporter : Lee Ga-on Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

2010081817062263915_2.jpg

From left, actors Yu A-in, Park Min-young, Micky Yoochun and Song Joong-ki wave during a photocall of a press conference for upcoming KBS TV series "SungKyunKwan Scandal" held at the W hotel in Seoul, South Korea on August 17, 2010.

2010081817032140821_1.jpg

2010081817032140821_2.jpg

From left, actors Yu A-in, Micky Yoochun and Song Joong-ki pose during a photocall of a press conference for upcoming KBS TV series "SungKyunKwan Scandal" held at the W hotel in Seoul, South Korea on August 17, 2010.

2010081817011631714_2.jpg

2010081817011631714_3.jpg

From left, actress Park Min-young and singer and actor Micky Yoochun pose during a photocall of a press conference for upcoming KBS TV series "SungKyunKwan Scandal" held at the W hotel in Seoul, South Korea on August 17, 2010.

2010081816571099322_2.jpg

2010081816571099322_3.jpg

Singer and actor Micky Yoochun poses during a photocall of a press conference for upcoming KBS TV series "SungKyunKwan Scandal" held at the W hotel in Seoul, South Korea on August 17, 2010.

2010081816542083337_3.jpg

2010081816542083337_4.jpg

Actress Park Min-young poses during a photocall of a press conference for upcoming KBS TV series "SungKyunKwan Scandal" held at the W hotel in Seoul, South Korea on August 17, 2010.

Photographer: Park Sung-Ki musictok @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10 Asia 1 l 2 l 3 l 4 l 5

August 18, 2010

Comedian Lee to marry florist on Dec. 5

By Chung Ah-young

1008181501.jpg

Comedian Lee Hwi-jae will marry a florist, eight years younger than him, on Dec. 5, according to TN Entertainment.

The 38-year-old met the would-be bride one year ago through a blind date arranged by his close aide.

The management agency said that she is beautiful and has mild personality. “Two families of the couple met each other and are searching the wedding ceremony venue,” the company said.

Before the announcement of the marriage, Lee often mentioned her in his show “Sebakwi” (Quiz to Change the World). The couple dated at concerts earlier this year.

He studied acting at the Seoul Institute of the Arts. Lee made his debut in 1992 as comedian after working as a floor director for MBC’s entertainment program “Sunday, Sunday Night.” He shot to stardom in the program titled “Life Theater.” Since then, he has expanded his career to hosting variety shows such as “Sang Sang Plus,” “Sponge” and “Sebakwi.”

Source: chungay@koreatimes.co.kr

August 19, 2010

Lee Hwi-jae to Marry Florist Girlfriend

2010081900314_0.jpg

Lee Hwi-jae

Lee Hwi-jae's days as a bachelor are coming to an end as he will tie the knot with his girlfriend, a florist who is eight years his junior, at the Hyatt Hotel in Seoul on Dec. 5.

TN Entertainment, the 38-year-old comedian's agency, said, "Lee started dating his fiancee a year ago, and the families of the two met recently to discuss wedding arrangements."

Lee announced that he was in the relationship in March, and since then the two have been spotted together in public. He is to hold a press conference to officially announce the wedding plans on Thursday.

August 18, 2010

Reboot of John Woo classic focuses on drama

When the Korean remake of John Woo’s seminal, genre-defining shoot’em up, “A Better Tomorrow” rolls out in multiplexes all over Korea during next month’s Chuseok holiday, don’t expect a faithful update.

Song Hye-sung, director of such searing melodramas as the critically acclaimed “Failan” and “Rikidozan,” says that the focus of his version was the dramatic portrayal of loyalty, family, friendship, and the always popular theme of male bonding.

“When I decided to get on board the project, I watched the original film again and although it was still the exhilarating action picture it was when I first saw it as a university student in the ‘80s, there was something lacking and that was drama,” Song said during the film’s official unveiling on Wednesday in Seoul. “So I decided that would be the driving force of our remake because I would like audiences to expect our film to be not just an action film but a dramatic film.”

Song quickly added “people are talking about the film as if it’s going to be this big action spectacular but what they will get is a strong dramatic film that also happens to have action. The action is just an incentive. The drama in the film is the driving force. The scenes not involving gunfire aren’t an intermission in between action sequences.”

The remake stars Joo Jin-mo, Song Seung-hun, Kim Kang-woo, and Jo Han-sun with a plot that, for the most part, retains the basic framework of John Woo’s 1986 original, according to the film’s producers. Like the original, the main focus of the story involves the contemptuous relationship between two brothers ― on the opposite sides of the law.

Kim Hyeok (Joo) is an illegal weapons dealer, while his brother, Cheol (Kim), is a rookie detective assigned to take his brother's operation down. Both share a tragic past as defectors from the North.

Meanwhile, Song Seung-hun has the unenviable task of taking on the role that Chow Yun-fat made famous. He plays Lee Young-choon, the hot-headed life-long friend of Hyeok who ends up penniless after being betrayed by a fellow crime syndicate member in Jung Tae-min (Jo).

According to director Song, it was three years ago that producers first approached him with the prospect of remaking the film that made international stars out of Chow Yun-fat and the late Leslie Cheung.

It was a tall order for Song to take on as he had never helmed an action picture before. So at first, the notion of taking the project seemed a little too tall. “At the time I flat out refused,” Song said. “A large part of my refusal to get on board was because the original was such an iconic film that defined a specific era. At the same time, however, the gravity of the project pulled me in and I thought even if I got blasted by fans of the original, I thought I could do it justice if it was done right.”

The film’s four leading men, too, felt the weight of pressure on their shoulders in following some tough acts.

On stepping into the shoes of veteran Hong Kong actor Ti Lung’s role for the remake, Joo Jin-mo said he was a fan of John Woo’s original as a teenager but avoided seeing it again when he agreed to star in the film.

20100818000828_0.jpg

Kim Kang-woo (from left), Song Seung-hun, Joo Jin-mo, and Jo Han-sun pose

for photographers during the official unveiling of their new film “Invincible,”

a remake of John Woo’s 1986 action classic “A Better Tomorrow.”

“I stayed away from watching it before shooting began because I was fearful that if I did revisit the film, I would end up emulating the performance from the original,” Joo said. “My character in this reboot is a complete overhaul and a reinterpretation. I’d like to watch the original now that we’re done filming and compare.”

Kim Gang-woo, who plays the role the late Cantonese pop star and actor Leslie Cheung played echoed Joo’s sentiments of describing the Korean remake as more of a reboot than a remake. “The weight of pressure to deliver a film on par with such a famous film was lifted when we saw the final cut,” Kim said.

“The characters in our version carry added dimensions that are revealed in layers that show various emotions at play which was lacking in the original. Because of that, we were able to gain even more confidence that we made a good film.”

With the release of the original, the film’s director John Woo pioneered a new form of stylized action. It was chock full of meticulously choreographed, operatic gunplay that thrilled audiences like never before.

It featured Hong Kong soap opera star Chow Yun-fat, virtually unknown in the West, brandishing a pair of guns clad in a sleek black Armani trench coat, rocking Ray-Ban aviator shades, topped with a toothpick in mouth. The image he created instantly shot the lanky leading man into superstardom, becoming the iconic figurehead of the fabled golden-era of Hong Kong action cinema in the 1980s.

The Korean production, made with a modest budget of 10 billion won ($8.4 million), was filmed in China, Thailand, and Japan with Busan as the film’s main setting.

Joo and Song later spoke of the difficulties they experienced shooting key action sequences. “The most difficult time I had while shooting was on location in Thailand for a scene which required me to run through a puddle of water that seemed like it had been there for about 100 years,” Joo joked. “We ended up shooting that scene longer than everyone had anticipated and by the end of the day I had to be treated for a skin infection from being exposed to that puddle. The staff also got infected and had to be treated.”

For Song, it was negotiating a jump from a three-story building, landing on top of a car, and rolling off onto the jagged asphalt that was the most difficult. “Our stunt coordinator asked if I wanted to have a go at it but I was quite fearful of doing it myself. I really wanted my stunt double to do it for me,” Song said. “But when I turned to director Song for approval of my decision, he was quite adamant that I needed to do it myself.”

By Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

August 18, 2010

[iNTERVIEW] Korean actor Lee Min-ho

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun Photographer : Chae ki-won Editor : Lucia Hong Editor : Jang Kyung-Jin

Interview with Korean actor Lee Min-ho

2010081814502460130_1.jpg

Korean actor Lee Min-ho [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

My name is Lee Min-ho.

I had considered using a stage name because many people confuse me with the other actor Lee Min-ho. My parents disapprove of that idea though and say that I should work harder instead of changing my name and taking a step backwards. So I'm just going to work hard and live with my name. (laugh)

I was born on June 28, 1993. My co-stars Seo Shin-ae and Kim Yoo-jeong asked what I wanted for my birthday this year. I couldn't ask them to buy me a present because I am older than them, so I instead told them to write me a letter. They each gave me a handwritten letter, chocolates and a foam cleanser. I was so thankful.

I am a junior at Paikyang High School. It's a co-ed school and I sit next to a girl. Most people might think I am popular but I'm actually not. At first, my classmates were fascinated with me but we all became friends once we got to know each other.

The first scene that I shot for "Grudge: The Revolt of Gumiho" (Gumiho) was when my character Jung-kyu and Yeon-yi (played by Kim Yoo-jeong) gets attacked by a flock of birds at a barley field in Gochang-gun located in the North Jeolla Province. It was awkward because Yoo-jeong and I were still getting to know each other and it was really uncomfortable watching the scene because we were staring at a blank blue screen and yelling "Run!" before the CG (computer generated) effects. And the director kept saying "Try to put on a wider smile and look at her in a loving way." (laugh) Yoo-jeong and I have become close ever since because we film together all day.

I was bombarded with text messages from my classmates when the kissing scene between Yoo-jeong and Jung-kyu went on air. I received messages like "You bad guy, Dog!" and Internet comments said things like, "Oh you bad boy, how can you do that to an elementary school student!" But Yoo-jeong has already shot a kissing scene before while this was my first...

My co-star Kim Yoo-jeong is actually a chic girl. I bought these magic trick kits when I was in middle school because I liked magic and I showed Yoo-jeong a simple magic trick with chopsticks when we first met over a meal. It would have been nice if her reaction was "Oh wow oppa [word used by younger girls to call an older guy] that is so amazing!"... I think Yoo-jeong was fascinated on the inside but just didn't show it. Her reaction was "Eh, what is that? Give it to me! " Yoo-jeong is very chic!

And one day, My other co-star Shin-ae comes over and asked "Oppa, why do you only talk with Yoo-jeong and not play with me?" It is because Jung-kyu and Yeon-yi have a lot of scenes together but I decided I should treat Shin-ae a lot better if I made her feel that way.

There is a scene where Jung-kyu leaves Yeon-yi when she turned into a nine tailed fox. I wanted to show a twist to the story and just fled the scene like I was running away but I kind of regret it because I received many comments like "You bad boy! How can you run away from such a cute fox like her? Poor Yeon-yi!" (laugh) I don't know what is going to happen in the end but I just hope I look cool when Jung-kyu becomes the victim because of Yeon-yi...

After 6th grade, I grew 16 centimeters in one year. Right now I'm 175 centimeters tall but my goal is to be at least 180 centimeters. I'm a bit worried because it doesn't seem like I'm getting taller but I've been told that guys grow even until they enter the military. (laugh)

It was so much fun shooting "Magic Fighter: Mir & Gaon" with fellow actor Yoo Seung-ho. Every day I thought about the fun things we should do on set. When we first started shooting we were all young and after a year we changed. We grew taller and hit puberty.

I used to be able to run 50 meters in six and a half seconds but it rose by a few seconds after I entered high school. I thought to myself "Oh, is it because I'm older?" but fortunately enough, I was chosen as the class representative for the relay race and for soccer.

I love soccer to the point where I wanted to become a soccer player. I was in a soccer club when I was in middle school and I received the top scorer award. I think I scored 10 goals during about 9 or 10 games.

You can't really call it action but in "Gumiho," there are scenes where I practice with swords or I roughly drag around Yeon-yi in a manly way. The director gave me compliments saying "Our action star did a great job!" (laugh)

I love to bring atmospheres to life so I'm the type that overreacts and give big reactions when I'm with my friends or singing karaoke. I make jokes that don't make sense but they end up becoming empty jokes. My friends start to curse at me once the mood dies out. (laugh) Someone once told me that I should try out my jokes on a variety program...

I would like to appear on a variety show one day. I think it will be fun to be on "One Night, Two Days" or a talk show like "Steel Heart" or "World Changing Quiz." I don't think I will have anything to talk about on "Steel Heart" though, since I'm still too young…

If I was given a chance to become a singer, I want to be a part of a group. I think by living together we can make up for the aspects that the other person lacks in. Of course it will be sad to be living away from my parents but it will fun to form a new family. How many members? I think five would be just the right number.

My role models are actors Song Kang-ho and Kim Yun-seok. I am still far from being like them but when I see them act, I just love how comfortably they do it, as if it’s part of their everyday life.

If I had to choose just one female celebrity that I like, it would have to be singer IU! She's pretty and sings really well. I visited her personal homepage and I felt that she is really kind and considerate to all her fans. This is the first time talking about this...is this going to be written in the interview? Oh no, what do I do!!!

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun five@ Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@, Jang Kyung-Jin three@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

2010081818404942452_1.jpg

2010081818421344300_1.jpg

Actor Lee Min-ho poses during an interview with 10Asia.

Photographer: Chae ki-won ten @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2

August 19, 2010

Cutesy rulers of K-pop also dominate TV, theater, film

An analysis shows variety TV is key to an idol group’s popularity, after which many move to live theater and film

Love them or hate them, idols today are the kings and queens of Korean entertainment, dominating not just the music world but, increasingly, television and film as well.

According to an analysis by the JoongAng Ilbo and Mnet Media, an entertainment company based in Seoul, these cutesy bubblegum divas exert an enormous influence on Korea’s entertainment industry. The analysis followed the daily schedules of 11 major idol groups and concluded that variety TV programs (called yeneung in Korean) function as incubators, cueing the Korean public to the next big thing. On yeneung programs, idols show off their nonmusical charms, dancing or doing impressions.

Kim Eun-a, head of the public relations team at SM Entertainment, which manages the idol group f(X), explained, “Since each member has many different schedule obligations, it is hard to gather them together in one spot.” Like other idol groups, the five members of f(X) often host music shows or appear on reality programs.

The 11 idol groups tracked included Super Junior, Girls’ Generation, Big Bang, 2PM and 2AM, which were the most popular on Mnet’s charts between February and May. Among them, nine groups appeared on yeneung programs at least once before they topped the charts. Many are also regulars on primetime programs. For example, singer Jo Kwon is currently a regular guest on four TV programs as of this month, but his group 2AM was not very successful when it debuted in July 2008. As Jo started to appear on TV, however, doing flamboyant dance moves and offering exaggerated reactions, 2AM’s popularity began to flare.

After debuting on television on Nov. 9 last year, Jo appeared on “We Got Married,” which pairs up celebrities and provides a glimpse into what their lives might be like if they were married. When Jo joined the cast, 2AM sales sharply rose, and the group finally reached the top of the charts for the first time earlier this year with a song titled, “Can’t Let You Go Even If I Die.” “Doing these TV shows is one way to promote our songs,” said Jeong Jin-woon, another member of 2AM. Jeong also regularly appears on television as a guest.

18215639.jpg

Once idol groups reach No. 1 on the charts, the next step is to cash in by appearing in TV commercials. Then many idols expand their careers to fictional dramas, films and musicals.

Theatrical producers are happy to have the idols, because they guarantee high ticket sales. When idols are cast in musicals, an average of 96 percent of seats are filled, compared to 70 percent or lower for typical Seoul productions. Tickets for the musical “Palace,” which stars Xiah Jun-soo, a member of the disbanded idol group TVXQ, sold out in just two minutes after they went on sale earlier last month.

Jessica, a member of Girls’ Generation, took part in the musical version of “Legally Blonde” in March, and Tae-yeon, another member of the group, featured in the musical “Midnight Sun” in May. Onew, a member of SHINee, did the musical “Brothers Were Brave” in April. All the musicals turned handsome profits.

Dramas and films are idols’ favorite side jobs. T.O.P., a member of Big Bang, appeared in the TV drama “IRIS” last year and also landed a role in the film “71: Into the Fire.”

In fact, it would be inaccurate to call most of these idols “singers.” Instead, they are all-around entertainers. It’s become the norm for idols to look forward to success in show business, whether they keep pursuing their singing careers or not. “I think I will start acting in 10 years,” said Sulli, a member of f(X).

Pop music critic Im Zin-mo said, “One thing I can say for sure is that idols are the ones who sustain the nation’s K-pop scene, and they go even beyond that.

“They truly rule the whole entertainment industry,” Im said.

By Chung Kang-hyun, Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.com

August 18, 2010

K-pop idol Micky flies solo in drama

Torn and bruised by a series of events involving a legal battle with his agency, K-pop idol Micky ― one-fifth of the near-disbanded boy band TVXQ ― put in a confident if somewhat close-mouthed press appearance for his major acting debut in KBS’ “Seonggyungwan Scandal” on Tuesday.

“Who wouldn’t feel pressure when starting something new?” Micky, a.k.a. Park Yoo-chun, said fielding comparisons between him and other TVXQ chums that have been making the pop idol-acting crossover.

Park, Hero and Xiah filed a lawsuit against S.M. Entertainment over their 13-year contract last July, but the court’s ruling in partial favor of the trio turned out to be little more than the calm before the storm for the boy wonder.

In April, S.M. filed a court objection to the trio’s injunction and in July slapped a suit on the head of a cosmetics company that the three members had invested in. The latter was in response to a defamation suit filed by the company against S.M.’s CEO. S.M. was cleared of all charges in May.

To add insult to injury, Park’s manager was accused of assault in late July.

Unfazed, it seems, by the brouhaha, Park jumped on board as the lead for the upcoming period piece; a move that will either prove fortuitous or rash.

TVXQ leader U-Know’s small screen debut in MBC’s “No Limit” crashed and burned, bringing in abysmal ratings; not a good harbinger for Park and for member Max who awaits his fate with the drama “Paradise Ranch.” Meanwhile, member Xiah took a safer route through the musical “Mozart!” and Hero pulled off an award-winning performance in a Japanese drama.

Park’s paltry acting experience (primarily through variety show skits and a boy band-pushing TV drama film) will most likely cast doubt on his ability to pull off this hefty role. Both director Kim Won-seok and co-star Song Joong-ki, however, expressed their faith in Park. “He has a good voice for acting and is attractive-looking,” said Kim, who cemented Park’s reputation as a budding action star by announcing that Park had level three taekwondo skills and that he “hardly used a stunt double.”

Kim then said: “He will surprise you with his slapstick comedy. He is good.” “I cannot say that I didn’t have prejudices about idols or singers who act, (Park) included,” said co-star Song. “(But) he really tries hard. It is touching.”

20100818000821_0.jpg

K-pop icon Micky (right) talks at a press conference for his new drama,

KBS’ Seonggyungwan Scandal,” in Seoul on Tuesday.

Will Park’s efforts pay off?

There is no guarantee that Park will produce a persuasive portrayal of the conceited, self-indulgent, blue blood Joseon Dynasty scholar Lee Seon-joon; especially when the singer admits that he himself lacks the anal tendencies of his character. “My personality is somewhat open and free,” the 24-year old said. “But the hidden sense of pressure (my character feels) is similar. I can relate to that.”

His ability to tune into the darker side of Lee could add depth to the romantic, gender-bender series.

Based on a novel, “Seonggyungwan Scandal” ― as its name suggests ― unfolds at the Joseon Dynasty’s premier educational institution, Seonggyungwan. Believed to be established during the Goryeo Dynasty as Gukjagam in 992, the institute was re-christened Seonggyungwan in the early 1300s.

There the male progeny of high-ranking officials and aristocrats prepared for the state examination “gwageo” and were trained for government service work. Alumni include famed scholar Yi Hwang (1501-1570), a.k.a. Toegye whose face currently decorates the 1,000 won note.

The drama, however, exhibits no pedantic pretensions.

The school, in essence, serves as a vehicle for a “Twelfth Night”-esque plotline, where a ballsy female (played by “Princess Ja-Myung” actress Park Min-young) masquerades as a man to enter Seonggyungwan in her sickly brother’s stead. There she encounters fellow student Lee Seon-joon (Park Yoo-chun) and a romance blossoms.

The male-only school backdrop also allowed for the inclusion of a bevy of good-looking actors, providing plenty of eye candy for female viewers. “Seonggyungwan Scandal,” however, promises to be more than just a frilly, one-note rom-com. “The piece will bring out the romance, the melodrama and the slight raciness of the tale while also highlighting how these youngsters perceive society and how they mature,” said director Kim, assuring the press that the series would dramatize actual aspects of the Joseon Dynasty institute.

In the meantime, cast and staff members can benefit from Park Yoo-chun’s loyal fans. According to co-star Park Min-young, hundreds of fans visit the set three times a week, bringing hoards of food for everyone. “I feel very grateful,” she said.  

“Seonggyungwan Scandal” airs on Aug. 30 at 9:55 p.m. on KBS 2 TV.

By Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

August 19, 2010

(Movie Review) 'Bedeviled': disturbing revenge tale from savage isle

By Kim Hyun

SEOUL, Aug. 19 (Yonhap) -- "Bedeviled" follows two women who grew up on a remote, savage island. One has never left the isle. The other has moved to Seoul and found a career, although life in the city has hardened and withered her heart. When the urbanite returns for some soul-searching with her old friend, however, her rural hometown is hardly more relaxing.

Instead, a bloody revenge tale unfolds in this feature debut by Jang Cheol-soo, Kim Ki-duk's former assistant director. Despite the film's earlier engaging examination of humanity, in the end it turns into just another bloody gore item.

20100819094122bodyfile.jpg

Seo Young-hee plays Bok-nam with ungroomed hair and darkened skin, whose life has been bound to the pastoral island populated by villainous, violent men and hateful old women. Constantly beaten by her husband and fatigued by hard labor, Bok-nam longs to flee to Seoul with her daughter. She dreams of a city life in which she would have milky white skin and wear chic dresses like her friend Hae-won (Ji Sung-won).

But the big city harbors its own evils, and Hae-won, a bank teller, has grown edgy and withdrawn. When asked to testify on the street murder of a young woman, she turns her back. At work, she shuts herself off from human affection.

The islet she returns to for a retreat is hardly a paradise. Its isolated community proves to be a primitive epitome of human vices and evils. Beastly men routinely assault and rape Bok-nam, while her mother-in-law and women neighbors are eerily indifferent toward the mistreatment, eventually setting her on a ruthless path to revenge in the film's second half. Hae-won is her newfound comfort, but the visiting friend does not dare to get involved.

Once Bok-nam strikes back, there is a strong sense of relief that comes from the overdue punishment, but her revenge goes way too far. When her attempt to escape the island leads to her daughter's death, Bok-nam unleashes her anger and reaches out for a scythe.

The film keeps producing tension on the screen with a speedy narrative and extreme contrasts of light and shade. But its bloody scenes overflow, and its early melodramatic intensity slackens as the villains are stereotyped and the revenge drags on.

Jang said the grotesque images are a thematic tool needed to build a revenge logic.

"Personally, I'm not a person who likes gore films," he said after Wednesday's press screening in Seoul. "I began thinking it was a melodrama, and while setting the level of expression along the way, those strong scenes came about so that (the heroine's) unresolved emotions could find an outlet."

"Bedeviled" (rated 18), which was shown in the Critics' Week section at this year's Cannes Film Festival, is set for a Sept. 2 release.

Source: hkim@yna.co.kr yonhapnews.co.kr

Archived