[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

July 8, 2010

Actress headlines MBC’s current affairs show

07204614.jpg

Top actress Kim Hye-soo

Top actress Kim Hye-soo is the new host of MBC’s current affairs TV program “W,” the show’s producers announced on Monday. Her first show will be broadcast on July 17.

Kim debuted in 1985 at age 15. Since then, she has been active in both film and TV and received rave reviews for her portrayal of a femme fatale in “Tazza: The High Rollers” (2006).

W, which began in April 2005, focuses on global affairs and their impact on Korean politics and society.

When asked whether her high-profile as an actress would change the show, Kim responded, “W is not a program that can easily be altered because of my presence and I want the program to continue the principles that it was built on.

“I hope to deal with the many issues happening around the globe and not hinder the quality of the program produced by my predecessors.”

Source: joongangdaily.com

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

July 8, 2010

Jung Il-woo warns fans of Twitter impersonator

Reporter : Lynn Kim Editor : Jessica Kim

2010070809531352550_1.jpg

Korean actor Jung Il-woo's picture posted on his fake Twitter page [Jung's fake Twitter page]

Korean actor Jung Il-woo is the latest celebrity victim to have his online identity stolen by a Twitter impersonator, according to his agency N.O.A Entertainment on Thursday.

N.O.A said in a press release that they have discovered that Jung had a Twitter account opened up by an impersonator, similar to incidents recently reported by actors Lee Min-ho and Kim So-eun.

Both Lee and Kim had warned fans that fake account had been opened up under their names on Twitter, a popular social networking and micro-blogging site, by someone pretending to be them on the Internet.

"I feel more baffled than anything... Twitter impersonating happens very often these days but I didn't think it would happen to me," Jung was quoted as saying upon hearing the news. "I hope that people around me as well as other celebrities do not get hurt or get a scandal over this. More than anything, I would like to ask fans to be careful."

On Jung's fake Twitter page (http://twitter.com/jilwoostory), the impersonator had posted numerous comments and pictures pretending to be the actor. He had even registered as a 'follower' to the official Twitter account recently opened up by actor Lee Min-ho, a close friend of Jung, and left a message on Lee's page.

The fake Twitter page has been closed as of now from being viewed, although not deleted. A message on the opening page shows a lock and reads, "This person has protected their tweets."

In the case of actress Kim So-eun, explained an official at N.O.A, the online impersonator had voluntarily deleted the Twitter account soon after a press release was sent out and the agency has not pressed legal charges as of yet.

However, with the increasing cases of Twitter impersonations of its artists, the agency is said to be looking into how to deal with the issue. Other Korean celebrity victims include Hallyu star Lee Byung-hun, singer Son Dambi and pop group Girls' Generation.

Twitter currently does not require any verification from its users and anyone can open up an account on with just an email address and ID.

Jung, 22, made his debut in 2006 through popular sitcom "High Kick!" (MBC, 2006) and has since starred in several notable dramas including "The Return of Iljimae" (MBC, 2009) and "My Fair Lady" (KBS2, 2009).

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

July 8, 2010

Moon Geun-young turns stripper in play "Closer"

Jessica Kim

2010070809045742081_1.jpg

Moon Geun-young [10Asia]

Actress Moon Geun-young has been cast in the Korean version of play "Closer," taking to the theatrical stage for the first time since making her acting debut 11 years ago.

The play's producer Aga Company said Wednesday that Moon will play the role of strip dancer Alice in the famed production by English playwright Patrick Marber. "She had expressed strong intention of playing the role of Alice and has been participating in the rehearsals enthusiastically since the very beginning," an official at Aga was quoted as saying.

Moon will be amongst a string of actors from her agency Namoo Actors who will be taking part in a series of overseas plays jointly produced in Korea by Namoo, Aga and CJ Entertainment.

"Closer," which premiered in London in 1997 and made a North American debut on Broadway two years later, has been translated into some 30 languages and shown in over 100 cities around the world. It will run in Korea for two months starting August.

The play had also been adapted into a film of the same title in 2004 with director Mike Nichols and a cast composed of some of Hollywood's biggest names including Julia Roberts, Jude Law, Natalie Portman and Clive Owen. Portman played the role of Alice.

Moon, 23, first garnered attention playing the younger version of the female lead in the popular 2000 drama "Autumn Tale", starring Hallyu stars Song Seung-heon, Song Hye-kyo and Won Bin, and rose to stardom after starring in the hit horror film "A Tale of Two Sisters" in 2003.

She had solidified her position as 'the nation's little sister' with several more films and television dramas including "My Little Bride" (2004) and "Dancing Princess" (2005) but has been taking on more mature roles lately to shed herself of the childish image.

Her efforts have been successful -- Moon won the grand prize at major broadcaster SBS' year-end Acting Awards last year for her role as a talented painter in drama "The Painter of the Wind" which has received several international acclaims and her latest series "Sister of Cinderella" topped TV ratings charts during its 20-episode run earlier this year.

Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

July 8, 2010

Won Bin speaks with action in new film "The Man From Nowhere"

2010070815042734592_2.jpg

Korean actor Won Bin at a press conference for film "The Man From Nowhere" held at Seoul's Apkujung CGV multiplex on July 8, 2010. [photographed by Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

The saying 'actions speak louder than words' could work as a tagline for Korean actor Won Bin, who used frequent and fancy action movements to deliver the emotions of his title character Tae-shik in the film "The Man From Nowhere."

At the film's press conference held Thursday morning at Seoul's Apkujung CGV multiplex, several promotional videos as well as behind-the-scenes footage and interviews revealed that the lanky actor spent a considerable amount of time on the screen running, jumping, punching, firing gunshots and throwing axes at bad guys.

However, as explained by Won Bin and director Lee Jeong-bum during a Q&A session, all that action is the way in which the quiet and reclusive Tae-shik, a former special agent who runs a pawn shop and befriends the young girl next door, expresses his emotions.

When the girl, his only connection to the outside world, gets kidnapped by the mob as hostage to her mother's involvement in a crime, Tae-shik has no choice but to come out from hiding and fight the criminals in order to save her life.

Lee said that "action is not just action" in the pic, meaning the actions serve as Tae-shik's words and contains his emotions. "Tae-shik is a man of very few words and I thought that he could also use his body to speak his mind. And I wanted the action to seem more than action and rather be heard as his words."

"The film is an action drama, so action is very important and takes up a lot in the movie," remarked Won Bin. "But my biggest concern was how to deliver Tae-shik's emotions to the audience -- how this one man gives up everything he has in order to save the little girl -- and I worried about that more than about the action scenes."

But in all honesty, Won is not an obvious choice for an action film as he has long been known for his pretty looks and for having a certain vulnerability about him. In his previous films, the actor had played 'soft' characters who were adored and cared for by his brother ("Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War") or mother ("Mother").

Lee however, thought this would work in his favor. "From what has been exposed in the media, he has an image as someone who is weak, vulnerable and delicate. I thought that image could work as an advantage in this film for when his character builds an emotional connection with the young girl."

Lee added that he cast child actress Kim Sae-ron for the role of So-mi, the girl next door, after seeing her in the critically acclaimed film "A Brand New Life," which was released last year and shown at many international film festivals.

The young actress, praised by Lee and Won for her acting as well as her mature demeanor, described her co-star as "a caring person" but drew a laughter when she said she did not know who he was when she first got the job.

"Nowhere" opens in Korea on August 5.

2010070818152774613_2.jpg

(From left) Actors Won Bin, Kim Sae-ron and director Lee Jeong-bum pose for cameras during a press conference for film "The Man From Nowhere" held at Apkujung CGV multiplex in Seoul, South Korea on July 8, 2010.

2010070818085062938_1.jpg

Korean actor Won Bin speaks during a press conference for film "The Man From Nowhere" held at Apkujung CGV multiplex in Seoul, South Korea on July 8, 2010.

2010070818085062938_2.jpg

Korean actor Won Bin poses for cameras during a press conference for film "The Man From Nowhere" held at Apkujung CGV multiplex in Seoul, South Korea on July 8, 2010.

2010070818215595385_1.jpg

Actor Won Bin and child actress Kim Sae-ron pose for cameras during a press conference for film "The Man From Nowhere" held at Apkujung CGV multiplex in Seoul, South Korea on July 8, 2010.

2010070818215595385_2.jpg

Child actress Kim Sae-ron speaks during a press conference for film "The Man From Nowhere" held at Apkujung CGV multiplex in Seoul, South Korea on July 8, 2010.

Photographer: Lee Jin-hyuk eleven @ Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878 @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3 l 4

July 8, 2010

'Olle,' 'hanok' among top tour picks

By Kwon Mee-yoo

Staff reporter

100709_p03_olle.jpg

The Olle trail in Jeju Island, one of the recipients

of the Korea Tourism Award / Korea Times file

The Jeju "Olle" trail walking paths, Jeonju Hanok (traditional Korean house) village, and eight other top tourist sites and figures won Korea Tourism Awards (KTA), Thursday, the Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Sports said.

The Olle trails in Jeju Island are a big hit ― more than 250,000 people have visited the walking courses bringing in 19 billion won. Opened in September 2007, there are now 20 Olle routes spanning 329 kilometers on the island. Olle is the old Jeju dialect word for narrow paths inaccessible by cars.

"Olle give people a chance to walk, feel and enjoy the island," a Korea Tourism Organization (KTO) official said. "They also present a new paradigm for tourism by relying on visitors to protect the environment and clean up after them."

The KTO and culture ministry jointly organized the awards for the first time this year. To select the winners, they conducted online polls, with 14,127 participating in the voting over three months until mid-June.

The Jeonju Hanok village has more than 700 houses, the largest urban hanok community in Korea. More than 2.8 million people visited the village last year. In addition to the traditional architecture, the village also has a traditional culture center for performances and offers accommodation in hanoks as well as a traditional liquor museum.

The forest resort Soopchewon in Hoengseong, Gangwon Province was chosen as the best tourist spot for the disabled. The resort has added wooded decking on its tour courses to cater to those who are in wheelchairs. Ragung, also known as Millennium Palace Resort & Spa, in Gyeongju was chosen for the best accommodation.

The television dramas "Boys over Flowers" and entertainment shows "Infinite Challenge," "Just Married" and " Gold Miss is Coming" were filmed at the resort, the first hanok hotel in Korea. The hotel is known for its beautiful wooden structure and open-air baths attached to each house.

An original cockle restaurant in Beolgyo, located in front of Beolgyo Post Office, took the best restaurant award. An Internet club "Traveling Alone, Making Memories" received the award for online media. With more than 100,000 members, the community shares information on travel and famous bloggers write tourism news daily. It also launched a "Green Tour" in March.

tn_1278577202_-201750437_0.jpg

Park Gang-seop's "Picturesque Sights in Korea" won the best book, while the Red Jacket tourist assistance in Myeong-dong was selected as the best tourist guidance system. The Incheon International Airport Corporation was praised for its attitude toward its employees by designating a Family Day and enforcing mandatory use of vacation.

The achievement award was given to actor Bae Yong-joon and the team producing the KBS variety show "1 Day 2 Nights." A popular "hallyu" (Korean wave) star Bae has been made an Honorary Ambassador for the "2010-2012 Visit Korea" campaign and also published a travel essay "Journey in Search of Korea's Beauty" in 2009.

The "1 Day 2 Nights" team was recognized for its contribution in boosting domestic tourism by sampling various tourist sites across the nation including riding rail bikes in Gangwon Province and visiting green tea fields in Boseong, South Jeolla Province.

Source: meeyoo@koreatimes.co.kr

July 8, 2010

Won Bin shows tough side in new film

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff reporter

115854_103919_5317.jpg

Won Bin has cast off his pretty boy image to show off his knack for high kicks and dagger-swinging skirmishes in "The Man from Nowhere."

It's yet another testosterone-packed film by "Cruel Winter Blues" director Lee Jeong-beom, and made headlines for casting the heartthrob, who is better known for melodramatic roles that jab at women's maternal instincts.

"The media has mostly portrayed (Won) Bin's sensitive side and I thought his conventional image would work well in depicting the bond with a child. But Bin is very stoic and scary in the action sequences, and I think these two contrasting sides complement each other in the movie," the director told reporters in a Seoul theater, Thursday.

Won stars as Tae-sik, a former secret agent who, after losing his wife in a tragic incident, leads a reclusive life running a pawnshop. He begins to open up his heart however as he spends time with So-mi, a child who lives next door. But one day he is forced to face the world again when So-mi is kidnapped by a crime ring.

"I actually have no idea what kind of man he is," Won said, chuckling, about his mysterious character. "He has a painful past but breaks out of this shell he had built around him in order to save a child. It's an action drama, but I was intrigued by how a man could risk his life for someone who isn't even family. I tried my best to deliver the desperation and urgency my character felt."

So-mi is played by Lee Sae-ron, who appeared in the internationally acclaimed Korean-French co-production "A Brand New Life." The actress, who turns 10 at the end of the month, drew laughter as she addressed Won as "ajeossi" (uncle) ― the film's original title in Korean ― and shyly said that she had no idea who Won was before shooting the film.

The 32-year-old Won, who is better known as the sweet younger brother in "Tae Guk Gi" or helpless son in "Mother," said he preferred that the ajeosi image remain limited to the movie.

As this man-meets-child story garnered interest among netizens, parallels were drawn to films such as "Leon" or "Man on Fire." Regarding the comparison, the director said, "I wasn't offended at all; it's actually an honor. But my film also stands on its own since it is rooted in Korean values and features rather unconventional action sequences."

Film clips showed Won engaged in dangerous action sequences, and in one fighting scene the camera was attached to his opponent to heighten the realism. Won said he trained for three months with a martial arts director and did many of the stunts himself.

"It felt like dying, doing wire action for the first time. But the dagger sequences were particularly dangerous since you could easily cut your eyes or face, and it's all about coordination," said Won. "I think Bin was driven by a certain urgency or energy he already possessed. He's also very athletic, strong-willed and passionate, and I thank him for pulling off the difficult scenes," said the director.

In theaters Aug. 5. Distributed by CJ Entertainment.

Source: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

July 8, 2010

Won Bin takes violent turn in new film

Hallyu hunk Won Bin will be in Jason Bourne mode come August, slashing, shooting, and breaking faces to save a little girl from stock bad guys in his latest film “The Man from Nowhere,” or “Ajeossi” as it is called locally.

Known throughout his career for playing soft, sensitive men, the pan-Asian heartthrob will be all suited up in black ― the default uniform for screen tough guys in Asian gangster films ― taking a violent turn as a merciless enforcer against criminals of the underworld.

The word “ajeossi” has several connotations ― none of which the 33-year-old star has been associated with until now.

How did it feel being called the word most Korean males dread after having been considered Asia’s sexiest movie star?

“Of course I’d like to always be called an “oppa,” Won joked during the official unveiling of his film at a press conference in Seoul on Thursday, adding “I’d want to remain an ‘ajeossi’ only on screen.”

Directed by Lee Jung-beom, the film follows the travails of a man with no name ― a la Sergio Leone’s spaghetti Westerns ― who befriends a neighborhood girl played by newcomer Kim Se-ron.

20100708001101_0.jpg

Won Bin (left) with co-star Kim Se-ron and director Lee

Jung-beom at the press conference to unveil his latest film

“The Man From Nowhere” at the CGV in Apgujeong,Seoul, Thursday. Yonhap News

Perhaps inspired by Hollywood films like “Man on Fire”, the two characters form an unlikely friendship. But like in Denzel Washington’s blood-soaked film, the story’s title character goes on a mission knocking off one thug after another in pursuit of the girl after she is kidnapped and taken hostage.

“My character is someone with a tortured past and lives his life in self-imposed exile from society. But when he meets this innocent little girl, her warmth and humanity pulls him out of his reclusive state little by little,” Won said.

“This is an action drama and the most important thing for us was to make this violent and hardened man likeable to audiences, and we tried showing that as best we could through the scenes which involve my interaction with (Se-ron).”

Lee Jung-beom, whose previous film also had much to do with the criminal world, said many brows were raised when Won Bin was cast in the title role. Up until then, his boyish, clean-cut looks and repertoire created a soft image which was difficult to shake off.

“It is true (Won Bin) is seen as someone very fragile and somewhat soft,” Lee said. “But that was the key reason why we cast him ― because it would be believable that he would open himself up to this little girl. And I saw in him someone who could switch from soft to vicious in a blink.”

Having played typical leading men in his previous films, Won began considering more challenging roles, starting with his portrayal of a mentally challenged man in Bong Joon-ho’s critically lauded psycho-thriller “Mother”.

It was through his convincing performance in that film that the public began to see the acting range in a man widely regarded as just a pretty face with no acting chops. “The first time I met him he was already excited about the project. I could tell he had a lot of fun reading the script and it showed as he was very enthusiastic in creating this character,” Lee said.

“It’s a very macho film and it’s true I’ve cast typically macho-looking actors for my previous films. But I’ve always been interested in depicting not just outward machismo but machismo that comes from the inside and I felt (Won Bin) did a great job in doing just that.”

The film opens nationwide on Aug. 5.

By Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

July 9, 2010

SS501 Kim Hyun-joong to play lead role in new TV series

Reporter: Kang Seung-hun Editor: Jessica Kim

20100518155341016542493_00000002_1_PA.jpg

Kim Hyun-joong [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean singer and actor Kim Hyun-joong has been tapped to star in a TV series based on popular Japanese comic "Itazura na Kiss."

"He hasn't officially signed a contract yet but he has provisionally agreed to appear in the drama," a high-ranking official at Kim's agency KEYEAST said on Friday.

Kim will play the role of 'Mr. Perfect 'Baek Seung-jo - the top student, good cook and great athlete - who later falls in love with Moon Hani, a girl at his high school who always ends up in trouble.

Producers have yet to make a decision on the female lead however. They are said to be contemplating between actress Park Shin-hye, girl group Kara member Han Seung-yeon and idol group f (x) member Sulli.

"What will be most important will be whether the actress looks good with Kim Hyun-joong. And there's a high chance that it will be someone who is popular not only in Korea but overseas as well," an official with the production company remarked.

The original comic series "Itazura na Kiss," which sold over 27 million copies in Japan, has been made into animation and TV dramas in Japan and Taiwan as well.

The Korean TV version will be helmed by Hwang In-roi, who previously directed "Goong" (MBC, 2006) and "The Return of Iljimae" (MBC, 2009), and adapted for the small screen by noted television writer Go Eun- nim. Group 8, creators of last year's smash hit series "Boys Over Flowers," will produce the new show.

The romantic comedy is scheduled to air on MBC after war drama "Road No.1" ends its run in August.

Reporter: Kang Seung-hun tarophine @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

July 9, 2010

Park Yong-ha memorial service to be held in Japan next weekend

2010070910382998522_1.jpg

Portrait of the late Hallyu star Park Yong-ha [YTREE MEDIA]

A memorial service for the late Hallyu star Park Yong-ha, who took his own life last Wednesday, will be held in Japan next weekend.

According to a press release by Park's former publicist YTREE MEDIA, a commemoration service for Park will be held at Tokyo International Forum on July 18, from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., with fans and close friends in attendance. The actor's family members are unlikely to participate in the event.

Park was originally scheduled to give concert at the venue, as part of the "PARK YONG HA CONCERT TOUR STARS 2010," on July 17 and 18. After his sudden death last week, Park's company YONA Entertainment organized the memorial service where Japanese fans will have a chance to pay their respects and bid farewell to the late star.

Best known for his role as Sang-hyuk in the smash hit TV series "Winter Sonata" (KBS2, 2002), Park had led a successful acting and singing career in Korea and Japan as well, where he was named best asian artist in 2007 and 2008.

He had been set to star in a much-hyped TV series titled "Love Song," a small screen remake of legendary Hong Kong pic "Comrades, Almost a Love Story." However, sources closes to Park said he had recently been having a very hard time juggling his career, his company YONA Entertainment and family problems. His father is currently suffering from late-stage stomach cancer.

He was in the middle of his sold-out, three-month concert tour in Japan when he flew home to check up on his ailing father.

Park committed suicide by hanging himself from the cord of his camcorder charger during the early hours of June 30. His mother found him dead in his room around 5:30 a.m.

Although many suspected that Park had been suffering from depression and severe stress, local police ruled his death as "a suicide taken on impulse" after drinking the previous night and claimed there were no emotional or financial issues involved.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

July 9, 2010

Photos from new Micky Yoochun drama revealed

2010070913310430890_1.jpg

Korean singer and actor Micky Yoochun of idol group TVXQ

in a behind-the-scenes photo from the set of upcoming TV

series "Sungkyunkwan Scandal" [KBS2]

Singer Micky Yoochun is readying to make his official acting debut as an old-time scholar, as revealed in the behind-the-scenes photos from the set of upcoming TV series "Sungkyunkwan Scandal."

The show's promoter YTREE MEDIA said in a press release on Friday that producers have unveiled a teaser pic of Micky Yoochun, wearing traditional Korean clothes and hat, as well as a group photo featuring three other main characters.

The pop idol has been cast in the drama, which is set in the Chosun Dynasty, to play a Confucian scholar named Lee Seon-joon who falls in love with a woman in disguise as a man.

He will be playing one of the four characters, or the so-called "Jal-geum Foursome," alongside actors Yu A-in, Song Joong-ki and actress Park Min-young. "We know that expectations are extremely high for the 'Jal-geum Foursome,' so the cast and crew are working that much harder in every scene of the show," an official at production company Raemong Rain was quoted as saying. "We plan to repay the fan's passionate support by releasing various behind-the-scenes photos and anecdotes on set through the show's official homepage."

The website (www.성균관스캔들.com) for the historical drama, based on a best-selling novel by Korean writer Jeong Eun-kwol, is scheduled to open on July 12.

Micky Yoochun, whose real name is Park Yoochun, debuted in 2004 as part of five-member boy band TVXQ. The group became one of the most successful K-pop acts in the country and throughout Asia, selling numerous albums and setting the Guinness record for having the largest official fan club in the world.

Despite their phenomenal success, TVXQ announced that they will no longer be working as a group in Korea nor Japan and that the members will go their separate ways to pursue individual careers. The break-up of the band started last July due to a legal dispute between three of its members -- Xiah Junsu, Hero Jaejoong and Micky Yoochun -- and major talenthouse SM Entertainment over their 13-year exclusive contract. The trio have since formed a new group under Japanese management agency Avex.

Micky had previously appeared in several television shows including "Banjun Theater", "Vacation" and popular sitcom "Nonstop - Season 6" (MBC, 2006).

2010070913310430890_2.jpg

The four characters of "Jal-geum Foursome" in TV series "Sungkyunkwan Scandal"

- (Clockwise from top left) Micky Yoochun, Park Min-young, Yu A-in and Song Joong-ki [KBS2]

July 9, 2010

Warnings on ‘Fake Twitter’ in Entertainment Industry

7438_1367_l.jpg

▲ Actress Kim So Eun smiles during the production presentation

of the KBS daily drama “A Good Day For The Wind To Blow.

As Twitter becomes more popular, people in the entertainment industry are under stress due to fake Twitters that impersonate star actors and singers.

Actor Jung Il Woo’s agency N.O.A Entertainment delivered the news on July 8, stating, “We have recently searched the list of stars’ Twitters, and found out that a person has opened a fake Twitter account under Jung Il Woo’s name illegally.”

Before this happens, a fake Twitter using actress Kim So Eun’s name, who belongs to the same agency as Jung Il Woo, had become an issue. Other star actors and singers such as Lee Byung Hun, Lee Min Ho, Jang Geun Suk, Lee Hyo Ri, Girls Generation, Sohn Dam Bi, Rain, Kim Hyun Joong, and Ok Taek Yeon already found out that their names were stolen by someone who wanted to pretend to be stars in Twitter, so those stars already urged their fans to pay special attention.

◇ Posting pictures and having star ‘Twitter Followers’: Actor Jung Il Woo’s fake Twitter was created by someone with the username “Il Woo’s Story,” and the person posted messages on Twitter pretending to be actor Jung Il Woo. There were actually other stars’ pictures on it as well. Also, the person was connected with other entertainers as “Twitter Follower.”

A spokesperson for Jung Il Woo’s agency said, “The contents of the message was nonsense as the person wrote the posting under the assumed name of Jung Il Woo, but the fake Twitter has caused confusion for other users because the fake Twitter has been connected with other stars’ Twitter as a Twitter Follower. In particular, the person who opened the fake Twitter account was a Twitter Follower with Jung Il Woo’s close friend and actor Lee Min Ho, and also boldly left messages on Lee Min Ho’s Twitter.”

7438_1368_l.jpg

▲ Jung Il Woo played lawyer Lee Tae Yoon in KBS 2TV's “My Fair Lady”

Jung Il Woo, expressed his feelings by saying, “I was very embarrassed by the existence of the fake Twitter. I had never thought that this kind of name stealing for Twitter, which has been found to occur frequently, could happen to me. I hope that this thing will never happen to my friends and other stars. Most of all, I want to urge many fans to be cautious.”

Actor Lee Min Ho’s Twitter, which was found to be a fake Twitter as well, had more than 70,000 Twitter Followers. Since the fake Twitter had been created at the end of last year, the creator impersonating actor Lee Min Ho had duped people by passing himself off as Lee Min Ho for several months. Lee Min Ho is a star actor who has one of the largest number of friends -- as many as 540,000 friends on the social networking website Facebook -- so his Twitter was also very popular. But when it was found to be fake, many people felt despondent at that time. Lee Min Ho’s agency gave notice to his fans about the fake Twitter right after the agency discovered the fact. After that, Lee Min Ho opened his own Twitter account again on July 1, and informed his fans.

◇ Impersonating can happen again on Twitter: The reason that this name stealing happens frequently on Twitter is because the Twitter website does not require identification for users who want to open their Twitter account.

7438_1369_l.jpg

▲ Actor Lee Min Ho has a photo shoot at the set located in Sanggojae,

built at MBC broadcasting station to film the MBC Wednesday and Thursday drama “Personal Taste.”

Name, password, email address are the only information required for opening a Twitter account. The name does not need to be the person’s real name. So, a fake Twitter can be created whenever someone wants to open it. Stars who have many fans are the biggest victim from this dangerous situation.

Recently, comedian Kim Mi Hwa’s posting about a “KBS Blacklist” has brought about the biggest issue , and this example shows that Twitter can have great ripple effect. Considering the possible impact, when false information is spread through stars’ Twitters, the damage could be tremendous.

The person at Kim So Eun and Jung Il Woo’s agency said, “After the news about Kim So Eun’s fake Twitter account was released, we found out that the fake Twitter has been closed. We decided not to take legal action regarding the fake Twitter because the creator closed the account voluntarily, but as it is happening continuously for other stars in our agency, now we are trying to prepare general measures against impersonating.”

The director of Korea Entertainment Management Association, Bae Kyung Reol said, “There have even been five fake Twitters opened for advertising dramas, so it is very easy to open a Twitter account under a star’s name. But, the problem is that wrong information and postings written for commercial purposes on fake Twitters can bring a negative effect for stars' images.”

Director Bae said, “Thanks to Twitter, people can have a place to share their thoughts freely, but when we consider the huge impact that it can bring, the Twitter website has the responsibility to confirm the identification of users when opening a Twitter account. I hope related people can take a measure of responsibility for this problem.”

Source: KBS Global

July 10, 2010

Moon Geun-young to Star in Theater Debut

2010071000234_0.jpg

Moon Geun-young

Actress Moon Geun-young will make her theatrical debut next month. Entertainment group Aga Company announced that Moon will star in the play "Closer" at the Art One Theater in Seoul from early August.

"Closer" examines the issue of communication in love and relationships through the intertwined romantic relationships of four men and women. Written by English playwright Patrick Marber, it premiered in London in 1997 and has been performed in over 100 cities worldwide. In 2004 it was made into a film starring Julia Roberts, Natalie Portman, Jude Law and Clive Owen.

Moon will play Alice, the role performed by Portman in the movie. Aga Company said, "Moon signed on as she was attracted to the role of Alice after watching the film and play."

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

July 12, 2010

"Bread, Love and Dreams" continues to rule TV charts

Reporter: Lucia Hong Editor: Jessica Kim

2010071209230536270_1.jpg

Drama poster of "Bread, Love and Dreams" [KBS]

KBS drama "Bread, Love and Dreams" continued to rule TV charts last week, holding onto the title of the most-watched show in the country for the second consecutive week.

Figures from TNmS (Total National Multimedia Statistics) on Monday indicated that "Bread" brought in a viewership rating of 36.3 percent while scoring a lower rating of 33.2 percent according to AGB Nielsen Media Research.

"Bread," about the success story of baker Kim Tak-koo, has remained at No. 1 on the Wednesday and Thursday primetime lineup.

Meanwhile, MBC's historical series "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" ranked second in ratings - 31 percent on TNmS 'poll and 26.8 percent on AGB's survey.

Rounding out the top three shows on TNmS 'chart was MBC's entertainment program "World Changing Quiz" with ratings of 22.7 percent, while AGB's statistics revealed that SBS weekend drama "Definitely Neighbor" came in third with ratings of 21.4 percent.

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

July 12, 2010

Kim Yun-jin to star in new suspense film with Park Hae-il

Reporter: Lynn Kim Editor: Jessica Kim

2010071209594519961_1.jpg

Korean actress Kim Yun-jin [Zion Entertainment]

Korean actress Kim Yun-jin is set to star alongside actor Park Hae-il in a new suspense film tentatively titled "The Confrontation," according to the film's distributor Lotte Entertainment.

Lotte Entertainment said in a press release that Kim and Park have been cast for lead roles in the film, playing a mother who has to save her daughter and a son who must protect his mother, respectively.

Kim will portray a character named Chae Yeon-hee, a woman who had been living a fulfilling, love-filled life until she discovers her inner demon and starts to struggle.

This is the second time, since the hit film "Seven Days" in 2007, that the actress will be attempting to save her daughter on the big screen. "If my character in 'Seven Days' was a strong woman who seemed to be able to solve anything, Yeon-hee in 'Confrontation' is a helplessly vulnerable and sensitive character," the actress was quoted as saying. "That is why the extreme circumstances thrown to her broke my heart all the more."

Kim, who grew up in Staten Island, New York, rose to fame in 1999 after starring in Korea's first blockbuster film "Swiri" as a North Korean spy.

In 2004, she became the first South Korean actress to make a breakthrough into the US entertainment industry when she was cast as one of the main characters in the Emmy Award-winning drama "Lost."

"Confrontation," which started shooting last Friday, will open in theaters later this year.

Reporter: Lynn Kim lynn2878 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

July 12, 2010

Won Bin: ‘I Almost Killed Myself While Filming Action Scene’

"When I first tried to perform a wire stunt, I had the impression, ‘It is too tough, I should not do this again. I could die while I am filming this action scene.’ The most dangerous moment was when I fought holding a sword in my hand. If I did something wrong even slightly, I could hurt my eyes or my face.” -Won Bin

In the production presentation for the movie “The Man From Nowhere,” which was held in Apgujeong CGV on July 8, the main protagonist Won Bin revealed that the action scenes were very difficult for him. In the movie, Won Bin played Tae Sik, who is the former member of a special forces unit and lives alone by running pawnshops. When a girl living next door, who is his only friend, is kidnapped by a criminal organization, he throws himself into the fray to save the girl.

7440_1373_l.jpg

Won Bin said that trained to use a gun and a sword three months before filming began. He said, “Action scenes take up a large portion in this movie. I have agonized over how I can deliver my emotion to viewers, the emotions of urgency and impatience to save the girl to the point of giving everything I have.”

He explained that he decided to appear in this movie because he was really touched by Tae Sik’s love demonstrated by risking his life to rescue the girl living next door, who was not even his family or his relative.

Director Lee Jung Chul said about Won Bin, “He is soft and delicate. Those aspects are advantages for actors who have to act with a child. Also, I was horrified by his expressionless face when he performed action scenes.”

7440_1374_l.jpg

He continued to explain, “I have worried about how to show the process of those two people coming to understand each other. I read many postings on the Internet which compares this movie with movies such as ‘Leon’ and ‘Man On Fire,” and I agree with those people’s opinion. But, I focused on Korean sentiments, and the action scenes are rather realistic than spectacular, so there are clear differences.”

The role of the girl is played by Kim Sae Ron. She received attention for her splendid acting in the Korean-French movie “A Brand New Life, 2009,” which was directed by Ounie Lecomte. Kim Sae Ron said, “At first, I did not know Won Bin, but I found out who he is just before beginning filming when I saw his TV commercial.” Her utterance raised a laugh.

The movie “The Man From Nowhere” will be released on August 5.

July 12, 2010

Lee Wan enters Korean military today

Reporter / Photographer: Park Sung-Ki Editor: Lynn Kim

2010071213461051673_1.jpg

Korean actor Lee Wan makes a salute before entering the military training camp in Nonsan,

South Korea on July 12, 2010. [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Lee Wan, the younger brother of top Korean actress Kim Tae-hee, entered the Korean army today as part of fulfilling the country's mandatory military services.

"I am not trembling or nervous," the actor told reporters prior to entering the Nonsan military training camp around 1 pm Monday afternoon. "I was scared even up until two days ago but now I feel calm."

Lee talked about the reaction, or lack thereof, shown by his famous female sibling, saying "I told my sister Tae-hee that I was going to the military and she seemed unfazed by the news." "She is shooting a film right now and I think I'll be out on a break when it opens in theaters," the actor added. "I hope we'll get to watch the movie together."

He also apologized to his fans about his sudden departure, saying he will make it up to them by appearing in a good acting project after he returns from the military. The actor, who had been looking for a new role, surprised his fans by announcing last Tuesday that he had decided to enlist after receiving a draft notice.

Lee, whose real name is Kim Hyung-soo, made his debut in the hit TV series "Stairway to Heaven" (SBS, 2003), which starred Hallyu stars Kwon Sang-woo, Choi Ji-woo and his sister Kim Tae-hee . He has since appeared in several other dramas including "In-soon is Pretty" (KBS, 2007) and "Swallow the Sun (SBS, 2009).

Reporter / Photographer: Park Sung-Ki musictok @ Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878 @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

2010071214512889311_1.jpg

Actor Lee Wan salutes fans and reporters ahead of entering Nonsan military training camp in the South Chungcheong Province of South Korea on July 12, 2010 to fulfill his two-year mandatory military service.

2010071214471358763_1.jpg

Actor Lee Wan speaks during a press conference ahead of entering Nonsan military training camp in the South Chungcheong Province of South Korea on July 12, 2010 to fulfill his two-year mandatory military service.

2010071214501079284_1.jpg

Actor Lee Wan arrives at Nonsan military training camp in the South Chungcheong Province of South Korea on July 12, 2010 to fulfill his two-year mandatory military service.

Photographer: Park Sung-Ki musictok @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3

Actor Lee-wan Starts His Military Service

Young actor Lee-wan has entered a new chapter of his life. On July 12th, the star greeted fans and reporters before his 1 PM entry into his mandatory military service at the Non-san military training facility in South Chungcheong province.

e_100712_01.jpg

Giving a proud salute, the actor said, "I know it must be surprising for you all to have heard my abrupt news of entering the army. I'm sorry for that and promise to greet you all after my mandatory service with a great new project.?About 100 fans showed up in support of him, waiting since before noon. As the clock ticked closer to him having to leave them for about two years, many of them started to cry as well. In a symbolic gesture, some of the fans released yellow balloons into the sky.

You may recognize Lee-wan from popular dramas such as his debut project "Stairway to Heaven", "Insoon Is Pretty", and "Swallow the Sun". A notable film project was "Boys Don't Cry". He isn't only known for his acting, but also as being the brother of one of the hottest faces in Korea's entertainment industry: Kim Tae-hee. He expressed his concern in leaving his mother behind as he is the only son in the family.

Lee will receive the five weeks of military training before being placed into a sector of the military for the next 20 months.

July 12, 2010

Kim Nam-gil to enter Korean military next week

Reporter: Lynn Kim Editor: Jessica Kim

2010071214440040938_1.jpg

Korean actor Kim Nam-gil [star J Entertainment]

Korean actor Kim Nam-gil, currently starring in SBS TV series "Bad Boy," will be enlisting in the army next week to fulfill the country's mandatory two-year military service.

According to a press release by agency Star J Entertainment on Monday, the actor will be entering the Nonsan military training camp on July 15 where he will receive four weeks of basic training and then work as a public service worker.

Late last month, the actor received a draft notice to enter the military by July 15, but the show's production company Good Story and broadcaster SBS had been trying to delay the entrance date in order to wrap up shooting for "Boy."

"The drama's viewers and fans hearing the news will be disappointed and feel that it is sudden. And we are incredibly sorry about delivering the news a bit late," the actor was quoted as saying. "But this is something that has been expected and prepared for, so I ask for their understanding even if they are surprised."

From the beginning of the show's production and planning stages, "Boy" is said to have been carrying out its filming in regards to Kim's imminent military duties.

The series will be ending its run with the seventeenth episode, one more episode than originally planned, with shooting to wrap up on July 13. The Wednesday / Thursday evening drama is likely to air until early next month, due to several weeks of delay caused by the World Cup broadcast.

Kim, 29, made his debut in 2003 and has appeared in notable dramas such as "Be Strong Geum Soon" (MBC, 2005), "Goodbye Solo" (KBS2, 2006) and "Lovers" (SBS, 2006). He became a household name last year playing the role of Bidam in MBC's historical drama "Queen Seon-deok" alongside top Korean actress Ko Hyun-jung.

Reporter: Lynn Kim lynn2878 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

July 12, 2010

Can Eugene add something new to beauty scene?

By Han Sang-hee

Staff reporter

100712_p16_art2.jpg

Singer-turned-actress Eugene will host a new beauty show "Get It Beauty"

which will start airing July 14 at 11 p.m. on O’ live. / Courtesy of O'live

Pull out your mascara and lip gloss as former girl band S.E.S. member Eugene prepares to share her beauty secrets with her new show "Get It Beauty" this week.

Beauty is one of the most important topics for both young women and men in Korea. There are numerous makeup classes offered in department stores by various cosmetic brands, and famous beauty tip bloggers on the web even share advice. On top of this, celebrities can also be a big help in sharing some of the best tricks in the business.

The 29-year-old singer-turned-actress has already proven her expertise on the subject from hosting shows and writing a book "Eugene’s Beauty Secret" last year ― and hopefully, more viewers will get to pick her brain on the subject.

"In 'Get It Beauty,' we will openly and truthfully talk about women’s beauty. We’ll tackle the worries and secrets women have and also try to come up with helpful and easy solutions," she said during a press conference last week at multicultural space Garden Place in central Seoul. "Our aim is to make a show that isn’t just hosted by a pretty celebrity, but by someone who really knows what she is talking about. Eugene has been working in the industry for 13 years, and I’m sure she has a lot to share," producer Lee Jun-ho added.

While other programs usually promote brands and share information that can be easily found on the Internet, "Get It Beauty" will bring 50 so-called "Better Girls" and talk about real problems regarding beauty and makeup.

The show will feature one topic at a time, from the best foundation tone for Koreans to how to match makeup with your outfit and the best way to organize your makeup pouch, with Eugene providing her personal experience and tips along the way.

"I’m pretty sure the channel chose me because they thought I would be able to connect easily with the audience," she said laughing. "Personally, my biggest concern is dark circles under my eyes. I’ve consulted doctors but they told me there was nothing I could do surgically. I have since discovered my own way to conceal them, and I am willing to share all of my secrets with the viewers of my show," Eugene added.

With high hopes of becoming a true friend and solution-maker for hopeless women, "Get It Beauty" starts airing July 14 at 11 p.m. on cable channel O’ live.

Source: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

July 12, 2010

Choi admits assault, will leave TV role

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff reporter

201007121915311001_1.jpg

Television star Choi Cheol-ho has come clean on assaulting a woman, which he had earlier denied, and announced Sunday that he will leave the cast of "Dong-yi." The makers of the popular period drama have accepted his decision, they said on the MBC website.

The 40-year-old actor was under police investigation on charges of attacking an aspiring actress last Thursday at a drinking party. He denied the charges until footage from a surveillance camera confirmed his violent act the following day. Netizens vehemently criticized Choi for lying about the incident.

He has since admitted the offense and expressed regret during a press conference Sunday in a Seoul hotel. He also posted a message on the TV drama’s official website: "First of all I give my heartfelt apologies to 'Dong-yi' fans for the scandalous incident. The least I can do is to leave the cast as part of my punishment."

The makers of the series said they are respecting the actor’s decision and are in the process of editing the script. Choi will continue to appear in the drama for some time for a more natural departure.

Choi was drinking with actor Son Il-gwon and the aspiring actress, identified by her surname Kim, at a restaurant in Yongin, Gyeonggi Province, around 2 a.m., Thursday. A quarrel broke out when Kim criticized his acting, resulting in physical violence.

"We were drinking while talking about acting, and I couldn’t control my emotions and made the mistake. Everything is my fault and I will accept any form of punishment," he said. "I was afraid of losing everything after being plucked from such a long period of obscurity," he explained his reasons for initially denying the assault. "It was foolish and cowardly, but I lied rashly without even thinking."

Choi rose to stardom last year through the hit TV soap "My Wife is a Superwoman" and has appeared in "Still Marry Me."

Source: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

July 13, 2010

Choi Cheol-ho steps down from "Dong Yi" after assault

Jessica Kim

2010071315112578450_4.jpg

Actor Choi Cheol-ho [10Asia]

Actor Choi Cheol-ho stepped down from MBC TV series "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" over the weekend as part of taking responsibility for assaulting a woman a few days earlier.

"I have decided to leave the show -- it is the least I can do to punish myself," Choi wrote in a message he posted on the official website of "Dong Yi" late on Sunday, just hours after a press conference through which he publicly admitted to and apologized for the wrongdoing he committed Thursday night.

On Friday, several media outlets had reported that Choi had been at a restaurant the previous night, drinking with actor Son Il-kwon and a female identified only by her last name Kim, when he got into an argument with her and started attacking her physically.

Choi had initially denied the claims, saying he had been trying to stop a fight, but footage from a closed circuit television at the restaurant revealed later on, confirmed that the actor had kicked Kim from behind and shoved her face with his hand multiple times after having pulled her down to the floor.

Police did not penalize Choi for his misconduct since Kim did not press any charges but the actor finally stepped forward on Sunday to admit to his fault and explain his actions.

At the press conference held at the Palace Hotel in Seoul, Choi said he had lied at first because he was "concerned about causing trouble for 'Dong Yi," a popular Monday and Tuesday night historical drama helmed by famed director Lee Byung-hoon, in which Choi played a supporting role as a government official.

He went onto explain that Kim was a fan of "Dong Yi" and an aspiring actress but he had been drinking and lost his temper as they started to quarrel over a disagreement which led to him inflicting violence on Kim.

"I had quit drinking for the past two years and everything had been going well since then...... Then I got drunk which led to what happened," Choi explained.

He added that another reason he lied was because he was scared of losing his popularity. "I had been an unknown actor for such a long time so I didn't want to lose the popularity I had worked so hard at gaining," Choi remarked.

He then burst into tears when talking about his family, saying that his family has a baby on the way. He vowed he will do his best to live as a father his two children will not be ashamed of.

Choi, 40, debuted in 1997 through movie "The Contact" starring critically acclaimed actress Jeon Do-youn. He had appeared in scores of dramas and movies since but only started becoming recognized after appearing in 2006-2007 historical drama "Dae Jo Young" for which he was nominated best supporting actor at KBS' year-end awards ceremony.

He had been cast as the main male lead in a film tentatively titled "The Most Beautiful Picnic in the World" across actress Hwang Soo-jeong.

Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

Archived