[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

May 30, 2010

Rookie actress Jung grips TV audience

jungsomin.jpg

Rookie actress Jung So-min, 21, has gripped TV audiences with her innocence in the soap opera, “Bad Man,” aired on SBS every Wednesday and Thursday.

Jung appeared as the virtuous youngest daughter, Hong Mo-ne, of the family-owned conglomerate, Haein Group, in the drama’s first episode on May 26.

Viewers said that Jung acted in a spontaneous manner in expressing her amiable feeling when she fell in love with Geon-uk (Kim Nam-gil) at a glance during an emergency landing while he was paragliding on her yacht while she was on board. “Her acting was never clumsy despite the fact she is a rookie,” a netizen said. “(Her) acting is terribly appealing,” read another online comment praising Jung.

Meanwhile, the actress is enrolled in the acting department of Korea National University of Arts. She has already become familiar to TV viewers from the episode “café couple” in the commercial film series of “T as You Think.”

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May 30, 2010

Actress Park, the last May celebrity bride

2010053013145670714_131720_2.jpg

Actress Park Sun-young, 34, was the latest angelic celebrity bride to walk down the aisle this May.

The TV star tied the knot with a 37-year-old diplomat at Hotel Shilla in central Seoul Saturday. Their ceremony was officiated by Pastor Lee Jae-hoon of Onnuri Church in Yongsan. The bride’s bouquet was tossed to the friend who had arranged their first date.

Entertainer volunteer group TTasamo or the club of warm-hearted people, comprised of Park’s celebrity friends, congratulated the couple on their union. Those in attendance included Kim Won-hee, Jung Joon-ho, Ahn Jae-wook and Kim Yu-mi.

“I met (the bridegroom) through an arrangement by a friend some seven years ago. He is simple and unassuming and has much to teach me,” Park told reporters in a press conference at 10:30 a.m. two hours before the ceremony at the Emerald Hall on the second floor of the Guest House. “I thought I could marry him at once upon meeting him for the first time, as if one gets to know who is one’s life-long partner.”

She said she immediately accepted, saying “ Yes,” when she was proposed to during a stroll at a park, about three months after they started dating and when he was assigned to an overseas post. The couple is scheduled to postpone their honeymoon until the summer due to the bridegroom’s tight schedule. The newly-weds will move into their new home in Sajik-dong, Jongno, central Seoul.

The bridegroom, identified only as Kim, is a foreign ministry official who has passed the state test to become a diplomat. He has been assigned to the presidential office for a stint as an interpreter for President Lee Myung-bak.

Park made her TV debut in 1996. She appeared in the popular KBS2 TV drama "The Sons of Sol Pharmacy House,'' which ended last October.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr l nate.com, yahoo.kr

2010053013145670714_131720_0.jpg

AKR20100528132800005_01_i.jpg

May 31, 2010

2010053100433_0.jpg2010053100433_1.jpg

Actress Park Sun-young poses at a press event before her wedding in Seoul on Saturday.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

May 31, 2010

"Death Bell 2" presold to Taiwan and Hong Kong

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

2010053113024062640_1.jpg

Movie poster for Korean thriller tenatively titled "Death Bell 2" [Core Contents Media]

A Korean thriller tentatively titled "Death Bell 2" was presold to Taiwan and Hong Kong at the film market of the 63rd Cannes Film Festival, according to its production company Core Contents Media on Monday.

Core Contents revealed in a press release that after the poster and one-minute 30-second promotional trailer was shown at the film fest, Taiwanese distributor Catchplay and Hong Kong’s One Dollar purchased the rights for “Death Bell 2.” An associate from Catchplay explained, "We bought the distribution rights to the film after watching the short promotional clip and we have high expectations for this horror movie."

Catchplay is well-known for buying U.S. romantic comedies as well as hosting film festivals aimed at introducing Korean films to its local audience. One Dollar had previously acquired the rights of other Korean films including "My Girlfriend is an Agent" and "Take Off."

Core Contents went on to state that the company has received numerous inquiries for when the film wraps up production after its promotional clip was shown at several other film festivals.

"Death Bell 2," starring Kim Su-ro and Hwang Jung-eum, is about a group of competitive students taking summer classes together who must try to save their lives in a deadly game.

The horror flick is set to open in local theaters during the last week of July.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 31, 2010

Kwon Sang Woo: ‘I Acted While Motivating Myself’

Actor Kwon Sang Woo: "I was worried about acting as a student soldier because I might have looked awkward due to my old age, but I fully agreed with the significance of this movie and I became immersed in the movie while acting."

Director Lee Jae Han: "I want people to watch this movie from a viewpoint of humanism instead of analyzing the movie with some specific criteria."

The movie "Into the Fire," which is based on the real-life battle of Nakdong River during the Korean War, held its first official preview on May 27 (local time) by the invitation of the Asia-Pacific Research Center at Stanford University in California, USA, and attracted the attention of American movie critics and local viewers.

The main actor Kwon Sang Woo (34) and director Lee Jae Han held a press conference in Sheraton Hotel in Silicon Valley the day before the preview and said, "This year is the 60th anniversary of the Korean War, so I hope that people can have an opportunity to think about the meaning of the war and its subsequent historical pain through this movie."

The following are the questions and answers.

7397_1225_l.jpg

Interviewer: How do you feel about tomorrow’s preview?

▲ Lee Jae Han: From the beginning stages of planning this movie, the Asia-Pacific Research Center at Stanford University has given positive assistance to us. The reason that we are having a preview in the USA even before having one in Korea is because of a promise with Stanford University. People at Stanford also notified us of their intentions that they would give us full support for releasing the movie and for the commercial success of the movie. The movie is incomplete technically, but I am very much expecting that we can introduce the movie to the USA through tomorrow’s preview.

Kwon Sang Woo: I could not sleep well last night. I will watch the movie for the first time. I am nervous because the preview is being held in unfamiliar place, but I want to watch the movie thoroughly as an actor. I think that the message of this movie is very significant and I hope the significance can be introduced widely. Actually, I did not expect that the movie would be produced this well. I just agonized about how I could play the character properly. I am just happy that I was able to finish filming the movie without any big mistake.

Interviewer: There is a rumor that you are expecting it to be the Best Foreign Language Film in the Academy Awards.

▲Lee Jae Han: I also heard the rumor. We do not know what will happen. The movie is not yet released. I hope that this movie can be loved by people. I heard that many high officials from Stanford University and many intellectuals will come to tomorrow’s preview.

Interviewer: Did you have any problems while filming the movie?

▲Kwon Sang Woo: While I filmed this movie, I became more attached to it. Personally, I was worried about acting as a student soldier because I might have looked awkward due to my old age, but I fully agreed with the significance of this movie and I became immersed in the movie while acting. I think that it will be successful. I acted while motivating myself. I tried my best not to cause any trouble for the movie by pushing myself too hard and being tensed up.

Interviewer: Do you think that you can draw more attention to the film due to the sinking of the combat corvette Cheonan?

▲Kwon Sang Woo: The sinking of the combat corvette Cheonan is a very sad and tragic incident. I think that the incident is like what happened during the Korean War 60 years ago. I guess that all of us might feel the same about it.

Interviewer: What do you expect for the viewers?

▲Lee Jae Han: I hope that viewers look at people in the movie. I want people watch this movie from a viewpoint of humanism instead of analyzing this movie with some specific criteria. I tried to free myself from any ideology in this movie because I just wanted to make a war movie.

Kwon Sang Woo: I think that this movie has educational value for student viewers. I hope that it can teach the meaning of sacrificing one’s life and shedding blood for one's country to teenagers.

Interviewer: How many viewers do you expect to watch the movie?

▲Kwon Sang Woo: I hope more than 10 million people might watch the movie (smile). Other actors and staff members seem to expect around 8.5 million viewers. Along with director Lee Jae Han, we made this movie confidently and I think that it is very good movie which can appeal to people. I am confident about it.

Interviewer: Do you have any direct ties to the Korean War?

▲Lee Jae Han: My maternal grandfather died during the war in the Korean army. My parents experienced the horrors of war when they were children and have told me about their experiences many times. I think that watching this movie can be an opportunity to share the sufferings of our nation.

Interviewer: The release date of the movie overlaps with the World Cup.

▲Kwon Sang Woo: I personally love soccer very much. I want both that our soccer team can advance to the first round and that our movie can have great success.

Source: KBS Global

May 31, 2010

[iNTERVIEW] Producer Chung Taewon - Part 1-3

Editor in Chief.Beck Una Editor.Lee Ji-Hye , Jang Kyung-Jin, Jessica Kim

2010052813582969902_1.jpg

Producer Chung Tae-won [beck Una/10Asia]

Some say he is a ruthless producer. Some evaluate him as an intelligent businessman. Some consider him as a brother who knows what being loyal is about. After fearlessly stepping into Chungmuro [where the history of Korean film started] in his early twenties as a film importer, he later placed his name on the power list of commercial film producers. He also was the chief of an entertainment company which sees large profits from importing major films such as "The Lord of the Ring" series by utilizing his innate business mindset and close relationship with Hollywood's major film studios.

Then he successfully wrapped up production of blockbuster drama "IRIS" last year and in June is set to start filming "Athena," a 20-billion won spin-off of the series starring top Korean actors Cha Seung-won and Jung Woo-sung. He is a hard core workaholic who said that even on the day of his interview with 10Asia, he watched the final edit version of film "Into Fire" which is awaiting release in June after taking care of several lawsuits and contracts regarding "IRIS." People may have mixed feelings about this fast-moving mass of energy, especially in the Korean entertainment business where sensitive artists are held in high esteem and numbers and size are dismissed. But put aside the fact that he is a successful producer, nobody will be able to deny his passion for films based on how he has walked a single career path. He is Chung Tae-won, the CEO of Taewon Entertainment.

Beck Una: This office is smaller than your previous one but there's a much more stable feeling to it.

Chung Tae-won: Because it's where you need to concentrate and make decisions. I actually prefer to work from home or be on set -- I don't really come into the office other than when I do interviews. Should I say that my life is somewhat like the life of an actor? (laugh) Since it revolves around the dramas or films that I decide to take on.

Beck: I actually think the level of interest and expectation for "Athena," set to air around the end of this year, shot up instantly because of news that Jung Woo-sung and Cha Seung-won were cast for the show.

Chung: I need to take the international market into consideration so of course Hallyu stars were at the top of my list. But the thing is, they all seemed weak compared to Lee Byung-hun. And I didn't want the show to give off the impression that it has a weak cast when I wasn't sure if having someone stronger [than Lee] would do enough. So after a lot of hard thinking, I decided to give up on casting a Hallyu star and just focus on the Korean viewers. [Thinking] Who wouldn't seem weak compared to Lee Byung-hun in Korea? Ah! Then I should have two [actors]. Ones that are tall. (laugh) Cha Seung-won had been cast first and then Jung Woo-sung but I think the response was good because it was announced at the same time. And I differentiated Jung Woo-sung's character from Lee Byung-hun's so that they would be incomparable. Jung isn't an elite agent but a character who in the beginning, is lax and makes a lot of mistakes.

Beck: And then when the female cast was announced, everyone was quite taken aback.

Chung: I think I wanted to avoid casting someone who people would be sure of doing a good job. I thought it would be better if Soo-ae, with her obedient and quiet image, could take viewers by surprise by pulling off the role of a spy. You have no idea how people were against casting Kim Tae-hee in the beginning. (laugh) [but] TV doesn't end in a single episode. All you need to do is win after fighting against viewers for two and a half months, no matter how unsatisfied they might be in the beginning. You know how many anti-fans E Ji-ah has, right? (laugh) I'm going to use this as a chance to reveal the truth behind the numerous suspicions about her. I actually like people who are incomplete. I think I feel rewarded when someone becomes popular because of working with me. Plus Soo-ae has a classic look while E Ji-ah has a modern look so I liked that combination too. Anyway, I want this drama to become regarded as a production which overturns the response over the casting.

Beck: There was a time when 'seasonal dramas' were talked about but many people were skeptical they would work in the Korean market. However, in the case of "Athena," it's connected to "IRIS" for sure but have different actors. How were you sure you would be able to continue the series with a different cast? Were you just that confident about the plan?

Chung: There are a lot of people who think "Athena" is "IRIS 2" but "Athena" is a spin-off and "IRIS 2" will air on KBS next year. With Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-hee. I can't say that their casting has been set for sure but no fool would pass on the chance with the advantages my cards can provide. So in the end, it's up to me. I need to prepare a set of cards that will make the show attractive enough for them to take on again. I've already written down how Hyun-joon (played by Lee Byung-hun) resurrects. (laugh) I told the actors and they liked it. There are three versions. The first, that Hyun-joon resurrects and leads a whole new 20 episodes and the second that Hyun-joon will appear in the beginning and a new character will take over midway with a new team. According to the third plan, Hyun-joon dies and a new intelligence team takes over the story. I can't guarantee as of yet that the casting will stay the same but I can definitely make "IRIS 2."

Beck: So we can regard "Athena" as a start to a new series?

Chung: Like there's a New York and Las Vegas, there can be an NSS and NTS so "Athena" will be about the NTS. So there will be some crossover characters from "IRIS." For example, Jung Woo-sung in "Athens" could run into Kim Seung-woo from "IRIS" in front of the North Korean embassy in Switzerland and ask how President Cho Myung-ho is doing. And when "IRIS 2" is made next year, Jung Woo-sung could make an appearance in that too. But the thing is, one will be aired on KBS and the other on SBS. (laugh) In American TV series, crossovers usually occur when they are aired by the same broadcaster or made by the same production companies but in our case, the production company remains the same while the broadcaster will be different. I think it'll provide an interesting type of tension -- we're experimenting with different ways.

Beck: "IRIS" took over the Gwanghwamun Square in downtown Seoul for one of its shoots so I think viewers will expect to see even bigger and better in "Athena." You must be pressured by this.

Chung: Yes. But rather than that being a burden, I feel an even greater desire to try new things for "Athena." The total budget for "IRIS" and "Athena" both stand at 20 billion won but the success of "IRIS" has paved a way for us to invest less money in "Athena" but do more because we have many people saying they will support the production of the show this time. Our crew have been trained on the set of films so they have great fighting capabilities. When something needs to be done, nothing is impossible. They may think about what they need to do to make something happen but they will never ask for something else because the original plan can't be carried out. And of course, it's probably also because I go nuts and put on a fit when I don't like something. (laugh) Everyone is always improving because when I go on set, I give each and every team a hard time -- the props team, camera crew, lighting crew, CG team, arts direction team. Even just this morning, I had been watching season eight of "24" but everyone is watching American dramas these days, including myself, so I can't help my level of expectation heightening. Hence, the crew know I will keep demanding for better so they are always very nervous. We need to rework props to create something that has never been seen before but it makes all the difference the next time we do it. I'm the type that doesn't take no for an answer. I'll say, we don't have it? Make it. We have two art teams for "Athena" and have reinforced our props team. And I'm in the process of receiving the floor plan for the NTS set which looks amazing.

2010053109175378572_1.jpg

Beck Una: The scale of your overseas location shoots have become bigger too.

Chung Tae-won: Italy, Singapore, Japan, China... and we may go to New Zealand too. And we won't just shoot scenes for the beginning of the drama but we'll be going overseas midway too. We'll be filming more efficiently too because we've divided up the crew into three units. When team A is shooting in Italy, team B will be prepping in Singapore, while the last team will be in charge of doing the special effects and CG. There were several parts I realized I could shoot more effectively while making "IRIS" so I'm going to apply them as much as I can. And everything happened so quickly with "IRIS," there was no breathing space other than the scenes at the college in the first and second episodes, but there will be more humor in "Athena." I'll also have a lot of supporting actors positioned throughout the show.

Beck: When does "Athena" go into production?

Chung: We'll start shooting in Korea in June, then in Singapore and northern Italian cities such as Rome and Venice in July, then we'll come back and go to Beijing around September and shoot in Japan after the tenth episode. Like so, I think we'll be filming for about five months and the show will go on air around November. Viewers will keep guessing [about the show] and we should be able to go around such predictions so we can't have everything produced in advance. The moment our plan gets exposed, we will have to shoot that part again. I take the opinions of netizens into much consideration. Blogs too -- I sometimes get my ideas from them. (laugh)

Beck: Taewon Entertainment was established in 1995 so it's already into its fifteenth year. The Korean film industry went through much hardship during that time until its bubble from its own Renaissance period that it experienced popped. What do you think the past 15 years have been like?

Chung: Ha... I had a hard time. (laugh) Of the people who were ranked in the power lists of film magazines during that time, there are very few who are still active. That's how tough and difficult it is to stay in this business is. There are many people who emerged with the determination that they would create a new wave but disappeared just like that from the scene. So I guess I'm just one of the people who have managed to survive. I set up a corporation under my own name in 1995 after having first worked in the U.S. starting 1986. After promoting concerts, I got started in the video industry in 1988 and imported films from overseas, starting with "The Mask" in 1992. Then I set up a company in Korea in 1995, released "French Kiss," hosted Michael Jackson's concert in 1996, then produced "Hallelujah" and released a Korean film for the first time in 1997.

Beck: You were in Korea up till high school but went to the U.S. for college.

Chung: A lot of my close friends immigrated to the U.S. and I too just wanted to try living there too. When I was young and see exchange students at my school, I would think they are cool because I used to have a buzz cut but they had long hair. (laugh) So I told myself that I would go to the U.S. when I grow up. I also didn't have much of an interest in studying. I first went to San Francisco and then to study in L.A. which is where I started my first business.

Beck: What sort of business was it?

Chung: I held a concert for Korean residents overseas at the L.A. auditorium with Korean folk guitarist singers such as Yoon Hyung-joo, Kim Se-hwan, Cho Young-nam, Yang Hee-eun and it did very well. It was a lot of fun and I felt that this was what I should be doing. Then I joined an American entertainment firm where I learned about American concerts and I started promoting concerts thereafter, inviting Korean singers. Then for the 1988 Seoul Olympics, I planned an Olympic fashion show where I took models to Korea and held the event with KBS.

Beck: You were in your early 20s in 1988. You must've been quite the bold young man. (laugh)

Chung: Yes, I was extremely bold. (laugh) There was a video boom in the late 1980s in Korea -- with several hundred video companies and quite a number of video magazines too. Back then, 10,000 to 20,000 copies of videos from overseas would be sold if there was a main character holding a gun in the story. It was a crazy period. So anyway, I entered that market and became a dealer myself, importing American movies and selling them in Korea. I sold the most. (laugh) May over 500 films? Because I made at least 10,000 dollars. I really made a lot of money and also spent it so easily. Because I was young. Man, I wonder where all that money went. (laugh) But I've done nothing but work. I was never interested in other businesses such as real estate. People outside see me as much of a businessman but I think I've used everything I've made in movies. Not that I'm bad at doing business. (laugh) An executive president with CNN that I've known for a long time calls me 'street smart' when introducing me to other people. That everything I know comes from my experience off the streets. I also always put forth senseless and rubbish philosophy when I do business with foreigners.

Beck: What kind?

Chung: Things such as loyalty or sacrifice? (laugh) That you cannot move someone without making sacrifices. When I first started in this business, my competitors were the owners of theaters. Then as conglomerates jumped into the business, those people fell down and conglomerates were competing for better prices. But then they deserted the industry too, a new form of capital entered, firing up the competition for multiplex theaters... So anyway, most people from Chungmuro got wiped out during that process. And I squirmed to survive. (laugh)

Beck: What's the secret to your amazing survival?

Chung: Not overdoing it? Even when something does well, I wouldn't let myself become influenced with it too much. I'd accept it as it giving me the capability to pay my employees for the next two years, pay the rent for my office and do the work that I want to do. On the other hand, my stomach would turn when something that I've done flops but after thinking about it once, I wouldn't look back on it. I try and forget about bad experiences as quickly as I can because they won't help in any way. Another reason [i could survive] was because I had an eye for the business. I was able to foretell what would happen with the industry and position myself in the right place. When I need to go with the flow, I would make sure I was doing a proper job of that and when I need to stand on my own feet, I'd do that too. But if things didn't work out even then, I'd have backup plans just in case and that's how I've come to where I am today. But I'm a stubborn person so I think I've always ended up accomplishing my convictions. I made a lot of enemies in the process of doing so. The number of contacts I have on my mobile phone decline every year. I have about 200 names saved but I think 100 of them are numbers I got over the past six months. I think they'd all be deleted in the next six months since I'll be meeting the person I'm working with then. But I won't live my life like that anymore. I realized I have been very closed-minded.

2010053111130947824_1.jpg

Beck Una: You're well-known as being a producer who works closely with the actors. There are many actors who like you or you get along with and you run a management agency too.

Chung Tae-won: I always think of myself as their older brother. And that I should make the sacrifices for them first since I'm their older brother. But when I make new attempts, I expect them to engage in them for their faith in me rather than for the money. On the outside, Taewon [Entertainment] is perceived as a company which is overflowing with money but our organs are the only things that aren't held [as security]. (laugh) Every project is difficult in the beginning but the actors have always helped since they know their older brother is going to make a movie, not buy land, by making money. (laugh) Both "IRIS" and "Into Fire" are also productions which would have been difficult to make without that trust. When a movie doesn't do well, the actors are the first people I feel sorry for. I wheedled them into doing it but I would leave a scratch in their life due to that film. It remains a debt in my heart. And I want to do whatever I can to repay that debt. The nickname for our company is actually "Taewon Rehabilitation Facility." (laugh) I can't work with actors like Song Kang-ho because he's always on top of his game and has no flaws. I rather like it when actors are in a crisis and I can help them 'rehabilitate' after working with me. The actor I'm most looking forward to 'rehabilitating' is Kim Min-jong because I worked on "Butterfly" with him in the past but it hadn't done well. He plays a very important role in "Athena." He'll play a very funny North Korean agent who defects to South Korea.

Beck: "IRIS" is currently showing in Japan on TBS, right?

Chung: I love the fact that "IRIS" is being enjoyed not only by original Hallyu fans but the young generation since most Hallyu fans are getting older. (laugh) The Hallyu which started due to "Winter Sonata" was great but I think it's also the main cause behind the anti-Hallyu. The fans were mostly middle to old aged women so people started to dislike seeing their moms or wives immersed in Korean dramas. And most of these so-called "Hallyu dramas" were romantic so young people and middle-aged men disapproved of them. So I think the new point to the Hallyu trend these days is that people like Korean groups such as TVXQ, Big Bang and even girl groups. And "IRIS" is not a typical melodrama in that it moves on a much faster pace than the original fans of Hallyu are used to. TBS and our strategy too was not to target at Lee Byung-hun's original fans. Unlike past dramas which were targeted at the Hallyu, we left out the world 'Hallyu' on purpose and promoted it as if it were the average Japanese drama. We did not send out pictures which showed Hallyu fans crowded at airports. For us, it was most important that we attracted a younger fan base as well as male viewers. Was it 4.6 percent last week? TBS' satellite channel scored its highest rating to date. The fifth episode will air this Wednesday but I heard it's the first time [a foreign drama] has gotten into the nine o'clock prime time slot after an American drama got into the eight o'clock.

Beck: How did you do the planning for "Into Fire"?

Chung: I had always wanted to try making a war film and felt it would never happen if I didn't do it now. 2010 marks the 60th anniversary of the [Korean] war and it seemed that the younger generation would start recognizing it as an ancient incident, closer to the Japanese invasion of Korea in the 16th century, a war that not even their grandfathers experienced. So I realized how important it would be to make the film this year and tell the younger generation about how awful and horrible a war is. I hope "Into Fire" sells but more than that, I'm hoping that many people get to see what times the generation before us lived through.

Beck: Lee Jae-han directs "Into Fire" but he grew up overseas. Did you purposely let him helm the film despite him probably having less of a sense of what happened during the times of war?

Chung: I was actually hoping that he'd produce a different type of war movie. But once he actually got started on it, I realized that there was too much of a gap. The imagery was better than I expected it to be because he's strong with visuals but being someone who has no knowledge of the war and from a different generation, I joked to him in the beginning that I have no idea which war he was shooting. From midway on, I actively took part in the dramatization of the film and we worked on it together. I am confident now in that everything is at a satisfying level.

Beck: You said you dream of becoming a producer like Harvey Weinstein but he has a director like Martin Scorcese. So far you have worked mostly on films where the producer plays a big part but don't you dream of working with a strong director like Scorcese?

Chung: Of course I do. Like director Kim Ji-woon. But I think I'm not worthy of working with him. Why would he work with me? You've probably heard why through rumor. (laugh) My nickname is 'Kim Il-sung.' Because I get everything done my own way.

Beck: Could such active interference and participation possibly mean that you may become a director one day?

Chung: No, not really. Not that I can guarantee it but for now, I like being a producer. I always say this to directors. that I'm not an enemy but to just consider me as a strong-willed and experienced assistant director. That the director is there to do art and that I'm someone who needs to find the point where people will find satisfaction. I persuade them by showing them the results of how I have done so far. And when I still can't persuade them, I become Kim Il-sung. (laugh)

Beck: What is at the core of what you produce, or do you have a philosophy?

Chung: There are various types of producers right? Some work around the director and some work around the producers but I don't think it's correct to say which is right or wrong. Apparently, I'm the latter. But I think commercial films and dramas is what I'm good at. I have some know-hows that I have gained in both Korea and overseas so rather than teaching or interfering, I believe I'm an assistant who can give tips. And some directors will be good at accepting that while others won't. I don't think I'm treating the directors badly. I'm also not overstepping my bounds because I'm greedy to be the director. I just think that I am a producer who is extremely devoted to balancing the artistic and commercial aspects to a movie. And I have no intention of changing my style. Of course, I do think I could soften up a bit because I'm quite rigid. (laugh) But I think I'll continue to live as this kind of producer and believe that producers like me need to exist.

Beck: It won't be easy actualizing the cards you have already pulled out but are there any other cards that you are may be planning on pulling out?

Chung: I have a lot in mind right now but I think I'll focus on "Athena" and "IRIS" for now. I also want to gather my comedic family (laugh) which includes actors such as Shin Hyun-joon, Tak Jae-hoon and Kong Hyung-jin to create a drama like the "Sopranos." I would distribute the soft version on a public network while the hard version on cable and make a real action-comedy which has been upgraded in every aspect possible. They'd fight against the Yakuza's in Japan and Mafia from Italy. And we usually have a lot of fun on set so everyone has been begging we get started soon. But I have a couple productions I have to focus on for now so I'm going to sign on a scenarist first to get started on the script.

Beck: I'm guessing you won't be making a film for a while then with such plans for the near future.

Chung: I've done a total of 28 films so far including "Into Fire." I need a break. I'm not sure about anything else but I have great drive. When I start, I'll just push forward fiercely. Many things wouldn't have happened if I hadn't. And I think that's how I ended up producing films for the past 15 years. That's how long I've been releasing films so whether it be a success or not, I think there hasn't been a time that I haven't had a hard time. And now, I think I'm leaning more toward TV [shows] which are like movies. High ratings have a ripple effect which does not compare to a film which has drawn in over 10 million moviegoers. The thrilling feeling I get is different too and the market is also much bigger. A movie will only be watched once but a country will live on a well-made drama for months. I've just started so I want to try a few more dramas. And then when I feel like making movies again, I'll probably start rummaging through a couple scripts. Every moment, I just want to do what is most fun and what I want to do the most. I love being on set. It makes me feel like I'm becoming healthy.

Editor in Chief : Beck Una one@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@, Jang Kyung-Jin three@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr 1 l 2 l 3

May 31, 2010

Kim Jong-hak to produce pan-Asian blockbuster drama

Reporter.Lynn Kim Editor.Jessica Kim

2010053113001360341_1.jpg

Korean TV production firm The ChainG Group Kim Jonghak Production (left) signs

an MOU with Korea's Customs Service on May 28, 2010. [Kim Jonghak Production]

Famed television producer Kim Jong-hak is prepping to make a pan-Asian blockbuster drama about customs agents fighting various international crimes and organizations.

Kim's production company The ChainG Group Kim Jonghak Production signed an MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) with Korea Customs Service on Friday to help develop his upcoming drama, tentatively titled "Tariff 125." According to the MOU, Korea Customs Service will set up a Task Force team for the TV series who will work with Kim and his team in developing the story and shooting the drama.

An official at Korea Customs Service explained that the drama will introduce to Asian viewers easy-to-understand customs policies as the plot will cover customs services in China, Japan and Hong Kong.

The collaboration by the two parties is aimed to make the TV show much more realistic than existing dramas that deal with crime and intelligence. Actors and a crew from major Asian countries including China, Japan and Korea will take part in the drama. The three countries are also said to be planning on financing the blockbuster production together.

Kim Jong-hak is known for his mega-scale dramas such as "The Story of the First King's Four Gods" (MBC, 2007), which starred Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon, and "Sandglass" (SBS, 1995), which scored the highest viewership ratings in local television history.

"Tariff 125," currently in its planning stage and casting actors, is scheduled to go on air in the first half of 2011.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 31, 2010

Group 8 to produce TV adaptation of Japanese comic

2010053116164504978_1.jpg

Official poster for Korean TV adaptation of "Itazurana Kiss" [Group 8]

Korean production company Group 8 will be producing a new TV series based on popular Japanese comics "Itazurana Kiss."

Group 8 explained in a press release that the local TV version will be helmed by Hwang In-roi, who previously directed "Goong" (MBC, 2006) and "The Return of Iljimae" (MBC, 2009), and adapted for the small screen by noted television writer Go Eun-nim.

The original comic series "Itazurana Kiss," which sold over 27 million copies in Japan, has been made into animation and TV dramas in Japan and Taiwan as well, where the local TV version scored the highest viewership rating for the year.

Group 8, founded by musician Song Byung-joon, is known for creating television dramas based on comic series such as "Goong" and most notably last year's smash hit "Boys Over Flowers," which turned little-known actor Lee Min-ho into a household name.

The Korean TV adaptation, set to premiere this fall, will soon wrap up casting and go into shoot in early July.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 31, 2010

Will 'star marketing' help win votes?

By Kwon Mee-yoo

Staff reporter

100531_p02_will.jpg

A number of popular entertainers have been participating in campaigns for the June 2 local elections to win over voters to the candidates they support, while some entertainers are even running for certain posts.

Candidates seek to take entertainers along with them to every campaign venue to attract the attention of otherwise nonchalant voters. They expect a sort of "halo effect" from the stars but most voters are skeptical that "star marketing" will actually lead to more votes.

Among the stars running for the local elections is actor Yoon Dong-hwan who is challenging for a city councilor position at Gangdong-gu, Seoul. He made his debut in 1992 and has appeared in various television dramas including the recent hit "The Slave Hunters." "Democracy belongs to the people, but I wondered how the people are really playing the role of master. I want to find that out by running in the election directly," Yoon said.

Some entertainers rushed to join the election campaign because of their family involvement. Actor Ji Sung appeared on a placard of an education superintendent candidate of South Jeolla Province, Gwak Yeong-pyo, who is his father. Ji's actual name is Gwak Tae-geun.

Actress Oh Seung-eun is in Daegu, supporting the election campaign of her father-in-law Park No-yeol, who is running for the education superintendent position in the southeastern city. Oh handed out name cards for Park during the morning hours and sang a campaign song for him.

Ji Sang-wuk, the Seoul Mayor candidate of the minor opposition Liberty Forward Party, put his wedding picture in an election advertisement ― his wife is famed actress Shim Eun-ha, who retired after marrying Ji in 2005. Despite her continuing popularity, Shim disappeared from public view to become a housewife and some people criticized Ji for placing his wife on the pamphlet.

However, Ji explained that he had put the wedding photo in the advertisement because it was a part of his life cycle, and assured the public that Shim would not officially support his campaign. Indeed, some support campaign rallies according to their political beliefs.

Moon Sung-keun, another well-known "politainer," the combination of politician and entertainer, who strongly supported the late President Roh Moo-hyun and his party, joined the campaign team for Han Myung-sook, the former prime minister currently running for Seoul Mayor. However, most voters say they are unlikely to be swayed by campaigning supported by entertainers.

Lee Ji-won, 29, an office worker, said she does not care about entertainers supporting election campaigns. "I don't think it will affect the voting," Lee said. "Most of them do not seem to have a strong political stance, but simply participate in the rallies because of personal connections."

In Nam-soo, a 48-year-old office worker at a venture firm in Seoul, says, "I think most people know better than to be affected by the mobilization of entertainers."

Experts agreed the effect of entertainers in elections is low as well. "Generally, politicians have entertainers in their campaign to attract young voters. However, candidates' campaign promises and the parties they belong to are decisive factors. Young voters are unlikely to be swayed by actors supporting certain parties," an official of the Korean Association of Party Studies said.

Source: meeyoo@koreatimes.co.kr

May 31, 2010

Optimum picks up 'Devil' for UK

Kim Jee-woon thriller also picked up for France, Turkey

By Park Soo-mee

istd_naver1a.jpg

SEOUL – “I Saw the Devil,” the director Kim Jee-woon’s highly-anticipated thriller currently in production, was picked up by U.K. distributor Optimum Releasing during the Cannes Market, according to a Seoul-based sales company Finecut.

The U.K. film company has previously handled Korean films including “The Host” and “Chaw.”

“Kim Jee-woon’s beautifully crafted footage crept into our subconscious like a dark force,” said Berenice Fugard, the head of acquisitions at Optimum Releasing. “We're sure he will deliver one of the most exquisite, disquieting films for a long time.”

Aside from the U.K. deal, the film was also picked up by ARP for French-speaking territories, Catchplay for Taiwan and Bir Film for Turkey, which distributed “A Tale of Two Sisters,” Kim’s earlier film.

“I Saw the Devil” is a hard-boiled thriller about a top secret agent whose fiancée was murdered by a serial killer. The twisted revenge story between two men will be played by a veteran ensemble of Lee Byung-hun (“A Bittersweet Life”) and Choi Min-sik (“OldBoy”).

The film is scheduled to be released in the summer.

Source: hollywoodreporter.com

June 1, 2010

Korean film "I Saw The Devil" pre-sold to four countries

2010060113544773114_1.jpg

Korean actor Lee Byung-hun in a scene from the film "I Saw The Devil" [showbox]

Korean thriller film "I Saw The Devil," which was pre-sold to France during Cannes film market last month, has been picked up by three more countries -- namely England, Taiwan and Turkey.

According to a press release by Finecut, which handles overseas sales for the pic, U.K.-based film distribution company Optimum Releasing bought the overseas rights for the Korean thriller which is still in production with noted filmmaker Kim Ji-woon directing top actors Lee Byung-hun and Choi Min-sik.

"Director Kim Jee-woon's unique and beautiful style has a powerful force that touches a deep spot in one's subconscious," explained Berenice Fugard, President of Optimum, on why he bought the film. He went onto say that he is "convinced director Kim Ji-woon will make one of the most intense, breathtaking films that will be remembered for a long time."

Optimum had previously bought and distributed several Korean films, including "The Host" and "Chaw," in the U.K.

Taiwanese distributor Catchplay and Turkey's Bir Film also picked up the film from Finecut. "Devil" is about a secret agent (played by Lee) plotting revenge against a serial killer (Choi) who killed his fiancee.

The film is scheduled for release in Korea this summer.

June 1, 2010

Oh Ji-ho may star in new sci-fi flick with Ha Ji-won

Reporter.Ko Kyoung-seok Editor.Lucia Hong

2010060110342366219_1.jpg

Korean actor Oh Ji-ho [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean star Oh Ji-ho may be starring alongside actress Ha Ji-won in an upcoming science fiction flick, according to an industry source on Tuesday.

The source explained that Oh is expected to take on the role of the boyfriend of Ha's character in the action picture titled "Section 7," which will be produced by Yoon Jae-kyun ("Haeundae") and helmed by Kim Ji-hoon ("May 18").

The movie, set to go into production in 3D starting mid-June, will be about fighting against a monster on an oil prospecting ship. A representative from Oh's agency Heavenly Star Entertainment said, "We are reviewing it in a positive light but nothing has been set as of yet," while an official with the production company said there is a "high chance" he will star in the film.

Oh made his debut in the entertainment industry in 1998 starting with television commercials and expanded his career into movies including "I Love You" and "My Wife is a Gangster III." He had several roles on the small screen including in "Super Rookie," "Couple or Trouble" and most recently in the hit series "The Slave Hunters" alongside stars Jang Hyuk and Lee Da-hae.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 1, 2010

2010060100342_0.jpg

Actress Lee In-hye speaks at an event marking World No Tobacco Day organized by the Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs in Seoul on Monday. /Newsis

Star Couples Picked to Promote National Tax Service

2010060100911_0.jpg

Two star couples have been appointed as goodwill ambassadors for the National Tax Service. Actor couple Choi Soo-jong and Ha Hee-ra, and singer Sean and his wife, actress Jung Hye-young, are the new faces of the tax collection agency.

"The two couples have been named the agency's goodwill ambassadors since they honestly pay their taxes and donate to the needy," the National Tax Service said.

They will appear in the agency's promotional posters and videos and join in street campaigns promoting tax payment over the next two years. /Courtesy of National Tax Service

June 1, 2010

Jang Keun Suk: ‘I Want to be Character Actor Who Can Perform Wonderfully’

Actor Jang Keun Suk had a fan meeting in Japan from May 29 to May 30 after he finished having fan meetings in Taiwan, Beijing, and Singapore.

7398_1227_l.jpg

Jang Keun Suk held performances entitled “Jang Keun Suk Asia Tour” for two consecutive days at U-Port Hall in Tokyo on May 29 and at Universal Studio Japan (USJ) in Osaka on May 30. During the performances, he showcased his various charms including singing and talking to his fans. In particular, he also had a press conference when he performed in Tokyo.

Jang said about his recent drama in the press conference, “Through the drama ‘You are beautiful,’ I could show my natural looks as best as I could. I think that I could develop myself by expressing myself in the drama. Also, when I played Hwang Tae Kyung, a leader of the band ‘A.N.JELL,’ I could develop more driving forces.”

He also introduced his next movie “You’re My Pet.” The movie is based on a Japanese cartoon and he will play a rising classic ballet dancer, but he wants to be a musical actor and choreographer. He said, “I had to go on a diet for the movie and the most difficult part was that I could not eat my favorite food, Kimchi stew. For the role, I practice dance eagerly from Monday through Friday. In the future, I want to be a character actor who can express various human emotions of sufferings and sadness from deep inside the heart.”

As the setting of the movie involves living together with a girlfriend older than him, he was asked about his thoughts on living together, especially with an older woman. He said, “If I can live with someone I love based upon a premise to get married, it will be like going on a trip every day. I want to be a husband or a boyfriend who can prepare breakfast for her.”

Source: KBS Global

June 1, 2010

[PHOTO] Actors pose on set of "Coffee House"

Photographer.Lee Jin-hyuk Editor.Jessica Kim

2010060114220193520_1.jpg

Ham Eun-jung, Kang Ji-hwan and Park Si-yeon [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

From left, SBS TV series "Coffee House" cast Ham Eun-jung, Kang Ji-hwan and Park Si-yeon pose on the set of the show in the city of Paju in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on May 31, 2010.

2010060114220193520_2.jpg

Park Si-yeon and Jung Woong-in [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

From left, SBS TV series "Coffee House" cast Park Si-yeon and Jung Woong-in pose on the set of the show in the city of Paju in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on May 31, 2010.

From top down, SBS TV series "Coffee House" male cast Kang Ji-hwan and Jung Woong-in pose during a press conference on the set of the show in the city of Paju in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on May 31, 2010.

2010060114200978643_1.jpg

Kang Ji-hwan [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

2010060114200978643_2.jpg

Jung Woong-in [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

From top down, SBS TV series "Coffee House" female cast Ham Eun-jung and Park Si-yeon pose during a press conference on the set of the show in the city of Paju in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on May 31, 2010.

2010060114173358643_1.jpg

Ham Eun-jung [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

2010060114173358643_2.jpg

Park Si-yeon [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr 1 l 2 l 3

Kang Ji-hwan says "Coffee House" is adventure

Reporter.Wee Geun-woo Photographer.Lee Jin-hyuk Editor.Lee Ji-Hye, Jessica Kim

2010060113551478907_1.jpg

From left, SBS TV series "Coffee House" director Pyo Min-soo and cast members Kang Ji-hwan,

Park Si-yeon, Ham Eun-jung and Jung Woong-in pose during a press conference on the set of the show

in the city of Paju in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea on May 31, 2010. [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

A collaboration of director Pyo Min-soo and scenarist Song Jae-jung. Even at first glance, SBS TV series "Coffee House" seems like a hybrid drama. And the show, which Pyo himself had said would be "between a sitcom and drama," revealed it contains characters who cannot be classified as being simply funny or serious -- Lee Jin-soo (played by Kang Ji-hwan) hides his fussy personality behind his gentle smile and Han Ji-won (Jung Woong-in) believes he stands alone in the center of the world. That is why "Coffee House," now into its fifth episode, may be sort of a challenge that its crew and actors are taking on. They revealed what that challenge means for them and how they hope to be perceived during a press conference held at its set in the city of Paju in the Gyeonggi Province on Monday

Q: I think imaging scenarist Song Jae-jung's script must have been different from what you have done in the past since he used to do sitcoms.

Pyo Min-soo: I believe that every form of visual media has something in common so I had tried incorporating both animation and plays into my dramas before. And with this drama, I wanted to try using comic book-like expressions. Cuts of a comic containing print. That's why I made scenes where they reminisce look like cuts from a comic book.

Q: The characters are also very comic book-like. For example, Jin-soo is someone you are unlikely to run into in reality so were you able to apply any of your own characteristics to your character?

Kang Ji-hwan: Being meticulous? I think we're similar in that we're both particular about organizing and putting things in order. When you look behind here [Kang walks toward Jin-soo's table] there's a pencil case. I searched through websites to see what kind of pencil case would suit Jin-soo's character but I failed to find the right one. And the one I had in mind was the type military officers might use so I ran this idea through the director and we were able to get this finished product by the help of the props team. So I think my personality in how I pay such careful attention to the props may be similar to that of Jin-soo's.

Q: Since you mention pencils, I heard that director Pyo Min-soo sharpens the pencils himself.

Pyo: Since young, I've used pencils which I've always sharpened myself. And when they become blunt, a member of the crew would sharpen it for me but I'll always re-sharpen it myself. I don't consider myself picky -- everyone just has their oddities. I wanted to try expressing that through the drama.

2010060114031753848_3.jpg

Kang Ji-hwan (left) and Ham Eun-jung [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Q: I think those details and unique factors show through how the characters act. The scene where Jin-soo held spit out coffee was an ad-lib which depicted his character very well.

Kang: It was. From the very beginning, the director had told us to act as freely as we want to as long as we don't damage the script. The act of drinking is plain so I decided to spit it back out after wondering how I could leave the script as it is but show my character with impact. When I look at the script, there's a tickling sort of excitement in trying to figure out how to spice up my character. So I really enjoy those kind of scenes.

Jung: I think he's very meticulous. He has become a very elaborate actor after doing a few movies.

Q: What about everyone else? Do you all do many ad-libs?

Park Si-yeon: In my case, I tend to try out things which pop into my head on the spot rather than deciding beforehand. I'll try putting on a pair of glasses I had in my bag or pull up my hair with a colored pencil. Some people don't let you but I can try these comfortably because both the director and actors have flexible attitudes.

Ham Eun-jung: I have to stay loyal to the script to accomplish the mission I've been given. To go into more detail, from my home I'll bring the doll that Seung-yeon will hold in her arms when she's going to bed as well as the props used to decorate her room but I'll let go of the props that I don't need. I'm starting by learning from my senior actors. I have to do what they tell me to do for now. (laugh)

Q: Park Si-yeon, you're playing a character which is very different from your past roles but the response has been pretty good.

Park: I think Eun-young is an interesting character. I've never played a character like her before. That's why I wanted to try a lot of things [with the character] and talk a lot with the director about this and that. It's comfortable and good being able to act the way I want to on set. And I think the viewers are enjoying watching it.

Q: Isn't it difficult having to use three languages?

Park: I don't know any Japanese so I actually received a few lessons from my friend but that too was fun. Speaking a language that isn't Korean. And as for English, I had thought I'd be good at it because I went to school in the U.S. but... (laugh) I wish I was a bit better at it.

Q: Ham Eun-jung, like you said yourself, you're still at a learning stage. How do you feel about people's response?

Ham: I know everybody else probably thinks this but I have many weaknesses. I try to correct myself after seeing what I've done wrong or right after I watch every episode. I guess I can't help having been more awkward in the beginning. As for the response, I'm not paying too much attention to it. I'm just focusing on the shoots.

Q: Are you satisfied with viewer's response for the show so far including its ratings?

Kang: I don't know if I should use the word 'adventure' but going into it, it was an adventure for me because I thought of this drama as something between a sitcom and a mini series. That's why I was even more curious about how viewers would respond. And I was hoping to take off where former drama "Oh! My Lady" left off, with ratings in the early 10 percent range, but that didn't quite work out. I am a bit disappointed that we weren't able to get off to a better start being up against the nine o'clock news of two public networks which were reporting on several important issues such as the sinking of the Cheonan naval ship. But I am confident about out story and I'm satisfied about us making a new attempt. While the beginning has been a bit like a sitcom, the latter half will become more like a mini series which I'm confident about.

2010060114031753848_2.jpg

Park Si-yeon (left) and Jung Woong-in [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Q: In that sense, I'm a bit curious about what will happen in the fifth and sixth episodes which take place on the island of Jeju.

Park: There's a scene where, while I'm acting haughty, I fall over while in my room taking a shower. I ask an employee to hurry and come help me but Jin-soo comes up and I end up having to show him a flaw of mine.

Ham: I want to see it. Her body.

Park: You won't get to see it. (laugh) I don't know how the edited version will look but we ourselves had fun shooting it. But he bumped his head into the ceiling while carrying me. I guess he had a hard time staying in the proper position because I was very heavy.

Jung Woong-in: I've tried carrying her before so I know. (laugh)

Q: How will the romance develop?

Pyo: While the story has developed in a comedic way in the first two episodes, through today's shower scene, a dramaturgy will form between Jin-soo and Eun-young. Then the show will go back to giving off a happy vibe. I'm someone who hopes people love in order to become happy. You love to be happy, not to fight. So I'm fine with how it's shown, whether it be through dramaturgy or humor, as long as that's what it is aiming for. Just like human beings use both their left and right hand, I want to try using everything that's possible.

Q: The romantic plot revolves around Ji-won's (played by Jung Woong-in) affection for Eun-young. How do you hope it will develop in the episodes to come?

Jung: They say little strokes fell great oaks but I myself don't think Ji-won is a who approaches a girl the right way. And I think Eun-young would feel the same way about him too but I think he will take a different approach in wooing her. He'll act more like the person he is, trying to reach out to her by helping her with work. He is someone who is sure of himself so I think he'll make Eun-young fall in love with him by using his brains and personal connections.

Q: He has sung for her and done events too.

Jung: I don't know what you'd think of me if I say this but it was very difficult to do. Kim Dong-ryul is a great singer. (laugh)

Q: Will there be a change after the fifth and sixth episode to how Jin-soo and Eun-young are in a relationship where they keep squabbling?

Kang: Well, Eun-young is like a blessing, a soulmate to Jin-soo. So I think a romantic plot will slowly start to emerge between them too but that's all I've heard from the scenarist and I don't know what will happen after so it's hard for me to say more. I just think that there'll be much development in their situation.

Q: Then like you said, that may lead to how the vibe of the show changes to that of a mini series.

Pyo: Starting from around the 12th episode, the change will be so big that you'll wonder whether you're still watching the same drama. What myself, the scenarists and actors are set to do are not to create something that has already solidified but a show that self develops.

Reporter : Wee Geun-woo eight@ Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

June 1, 2010

Korean multiplexes to air World Cup matches in 3D

By Kim Hyun

SEOUL, June 1 (Yonhap) -- Multiplex theaters said Tuesday they will broadcast South Korean matches of the upcoming World Cup tournament live on three-dimensional screens to attract fans who otherwise would be watching the games at home.

The football jamboree is usually bad news for the cinema industry, but this summer, theaters are turning it into a business opportunity amid the 3-D boom. Major chains like CGV, Lotte Cinema and MegaBox will air South Korean matches live on about 100 or so 3-D screens nationwide, having signed deals with SBS, the broadcaster that has the exclusive FIFA rights to air the World Cup in South Korea. "People don't come to theaters when there's a Korean match. Whether movies are shown or not, it doesn't really make any difference," Park Hye-young, a marketing programmer at the CGV chain, said. "So we decided to show the matches on our screens that are best for watching sporting events."

Live broadcasts will also be available at about 200 of the theaters' 2-D screens across the country. Theater screenings began from the 2002 tournament, when South Korea co-hosted the event with Japan and advanced to the semifinals. But this will mark the debut of 3-D and be the first time that every ticket will cost money. Previous screenings were mostly free. "The audience will get a unique experience through the surround sound and quality screening," Lee Jung-a with MegaBox's marketing team said.

South Korea goes up against Greece (June 12), Argentina (June 17) and Nigeria (June 23) in preliminary matches. Meanwhile, two homegrown football movies are to be released during the tournament. "Dreams Come True," a comedy directed by Kye Yoon-shik about South and North Korean soldiers during the 2002 World Cup event, will be released on Wednesday. "A Barefoot Dream," Kim Tae-gyoon's intriguing drama about a retired Korean footballer and his youth football team in East Timor, will hit theaters on June 10.

Source: hkim@yna.co.kr yonhapnews.co.kr

June 1, 2010

Lee Sun-gyun says single-episode dramas "got me where I am"

Photographer.Chae ki-won Editor.Lee Ji-Hye, Lynn Kim

Lee Sun-gyun is an actor who has built up his acting skills through single-episode dramas. From playing the swimmer character Lee Dong-gyung in the "Taereung National Village" episode of MBC's "Best Theater" series, a role that many people remember, to student Jin-goo studying for a national examination in the "Romance" episode of KBS "Drama City," he began learning the craft of acting from single-episode dramas. The reason that Lee Sun-gyun gained acclaim for his dramas including MBC's "The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince," "White Tower," and SBS' "My Sweet Seoul" and was able to win the lead roles in MBC's "Pasta" and film "Paju" was because he had built his acting career, one step at a time, from single-episode dramas. Lee Sun-gyun himself admits, "Single-episode dramas got me where I am today." 10Asia met with actor Lee Sun-gyun in Sokcho, Gangwon-do where he was shooting the "Our Slightly Risque Relationship" episode for KBS Drama Special, and talked about the importance of single-episode dramas and why they should continue to exist.

2010060113022682193_1.jpg

Actor Lee Sun-gyun takes part in a shoot for "Our Slightly Risque Relationship"

at the KBS building in the city of Sokcho of Gangwon Province on May 16, 2010. [photographed by Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: Why did you choose to shoot a single-episode drama when you could have gone for other regular dramas and films?

Lee Sun-gyun (Lee): Because I really believe that single-episode dramas should be revived. They have disappeared from the three public networks for about two, three years. It is saddening. Not only is it necessary for newcomer actors, but also for writers and directors to improve through single-episode dramas and now it feels like the steppingstone is gone. In a way, you could say that I was the last actor to have benefited from doing single-episode dramas. I did a lot of single-episode dramas when I was starting out as an actor, and it really helped a lot. If I hadn't done single-episode dramas, there probably would be no me. When I heard that KBS was bringing back single-episode dramas again, I decided that I would do it if they offered me a script. I thought I would grow impatient if I started worrying and calculating about it, so I just read the first script I got and decided to do it right away. It wasn't that hard.

Q: There must be a unique charm to doing single-episode dramas that is different from doing a mini-series or a movie.

Lee: Actually, single-episode dramas are shot under poor working conditions. Being back on the set of one for the time in a long time, I am realizing again how bad it is. (laugh) But the best thing about working on a single-episode drama is that there are many experimental scripts. The variety of characters is even broader than in movies. Even when you compare it to doing a mini-series, which you get used to after a while, there is a difference both content and structure-wise. That's the fun stuff, really. If I could hope for something more, I wish they would bring the late-night air time of single-episode dramas closer to earlier hours, and increase the production budget. A good drama comes from having better working conditions.

Q: As an actor, how did shooting single-episode dramas help you?

Lee: What helped me was that I had a lot of opportunities to play a variety of characters. It is hard for a newcomer actor to be part of the main cast right away. These days, many idol group singers become the main actors in dramas. I think it has now become difficult to reach that level unless you have such recognition and celebrity. I started by playing small roles. Sometimes I would play lead roles in single-episode dramas but even then I didn't get a lot of attention. But playing the main character helped me as an actor in itself, and doing single-episode dramas became a learning opportunity for me. But now that opportunity has completely disappeared. Just like writers and actors, directors have lost the opportunity to create and actively contemplate their work.

2010060113022682193_2.jpg

Actor Lee Sun-gyun [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: It must be hard for you to give advice to young actors.

Lee: It is. They ask me what they should do and I don't really have an answer for them. It is hard to get supporting roles through auditions, but these days the path of supporting actors advancing to main actors has been cut off. In other words, there is a clear distinction between leading and supporting actors. With a limited set of characters, the actors who play them keep on repeating as well. In the old days, they said that opportunity would surely come if you work hard.. in theater or whatever.. I am not saying that playing lead roles is always a good thing, but I am disappointed that actors are getting less and less opportunities.

Q: The "Taereung National Village" episode of MBC's "Best Theater" was a breakthrough role for you.

Lee: My fondest memories of doing dramas and movies are from shooting "Taereung National Village" because it made me feel that I could be happy while working on a drama. I love it and I was happy. It was the first time since I took up acting that I bragged to people about my work. I wasn't the main character in it but I went around telling people that it was my drama and that they should watch it. I'm sure I looked great in the show because the director did a good job. (laugh) But I felt great when I was shooting it and I loved the final version too. At a time when I was doing one-episode dramas, this drama made me feel the joy of being an actor more than the responsibility.

Q: Are there any single-episode dramas that you remember watching?

Lee: I couldn't go see movies at the theater when I was young, so I didn't have much to do for fun except to read books. And I used to enjoy watching MBC's "Best Theater" because they had many unique dramas that I remember for their visual images. I particularly loved the "Shampoo Fairy" episode. "Best Theater" was part of the reason that I worked on "Taereung National Village" with director Lee Yoon-jung. Director Lee made her directorial debut through a drama called "Magic Alcohol Power" and it was so entertaining that I asked around who the director was. And they told me that it was this female director at MBC who had great taste. Just when I was wondering about this director named Lee Yoon-jung, the people from "Taereung National Village" called me up and I ended up appearing in the drama.

Q: You are currently shooting the "Our Slightly Risque Relationship" episode for KBS Drama Special - how are you feeling?

Lee: Not bad. There is a certain vibe you see in single-episode dramas and it's that there are many funny lines or situations. There is a dark side near the end but the dialogues are incredibly entertaining. I don't know if it could be categorized as a romantic comedy but I feel that it sits closely to the reality seen in dramas. It is not too over-the-top and the way the show deals with its happenings is interesting.

Q: KBS' single-episode drama has returned but its popularity is not as high as one expected.

Lee: All the directors and writers believe that single-episode dramas must be revived. But, at the same time, they are worried that they could go off the air anytime. So they have a considerable amount of pressure to shoot it well. They need to start work feeling relaxed and unburdened, but their concerns could make them anxious. You know how you tend to do too much when you are trying to do a good job? I hope they can work on their dramas feeling comfortable. If they get rid of the pressure to make a big hit or a good drama, won't they be able to make a good drama?

Reporter : Won Sung-yoon Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Lee Ji-Hye seven@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

2010060117015316947_1.jpg

at the KBS building in the city of Sokcho of Gangwon Province on May 16, 2010. [photographed by Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Dong-chan (played by Lee Sun-kyun) is a producer at broadcasting company MBS' Seoul office. But he who was receiving the spotlight as a promising producer in the investigative reporting division of the news department, is assigned a post in the suburbs one day. And the program he is put in charge of is "My Heartwarming Hometown." The manager of his team tries to console him by saying they "do programs for Seoul once or twice a month" but all in vain. There is no way his words will reassure Dong-chan who emphasizes the importance of the media's function as a watchdog. Then Dong-chan experiences the most tragic accident of his life while at a beef soup restaurant -- the hot soup ends up wounding his 'private part.' And the main culprit is none other than Nam-hee (played by Hwang Woo Seul-hye), the reporter for "My Heartwarming Hometown." The two go down to a suburban area, unaware of each other's identity, and start bickering nonstop from the moment they meet as producer and reporter. But a man and woman who start out in an uncomfortable relationship but later feel affectionate emotions for each other is the set formula for how the typical romance develops.

The rooftop of KBS' office building in Sokcho. The scene to be shot for the day would be Dong-chan, who is standing on a rooftop looking out onto the Sokcho sea, yelling out while holding a letter of resignation in his hand as if dwelling on his misfortune. And it is May but the air, combined with the sea breeze, is chilly due to the rainfall from the previous day. Every member of the cast and crew is wearing their thick winter jackets. But despite the weather being so cold, as soon as the zimizib and camera are set up and director Kim Hyung-suk starts speaking to signal the start of the shoot, the bustling of the crew quiets down. Lee, who does not show the slightest hint of being cold despite having whipped off his jacket, starts belting out his lines in a loud voice.

The weather becomes even colder into the evening and the setting has changed to the get-together of the "My Heartwarming Hometown" team which is taking place at a bar in Sokcho. As the crew busily keeps on preparing for the shoot, the crowd of onlookers grows bigger. The crew on set are perplexed by the onlookers who obstinately rush in to take a snap shot of Lee but the moment someone says "We're going to start rolling!" everyone hushes each other and focuses on the shoot. As Dong-chan's intial irritation toward Nam-hee changes to interest, he throws the occasional worried glance to Nam-hee who is gulping down bomb shots.

The fourth of episode of the KBS drama special titled "Our Slightly Risque Relationship" is a comic love story full of the ups and downs a broadcasting producer and reporter encounter while on their work assignment. Tune into KBS at 11:15 p.m. on June 5 if you are curious about their romance plays out.

Reporter : Won Sung-yoon Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@, Jang Kyung-Jin three@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

On the set of "Our Slightly Risque Relationship"

2010060118243633368_1.jpg

The cast of KBS drama special "My Slightly Risque Relationship" take part in a shoot at a bar in the city of Sokcho of Gangwon Province on May 16, 2010.

2010060118243633368_2.jpg

Cast of KBS drama special "My Slightly Risque Relationship" [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

2010060118200914063_2.jpg

at the KBS building in the city of Sokcho of Gangwon Province on May 16, 2010.

2010060118161797556_1.jpg

Actress Hwang Woo Seul-hye takes part in a shoot for "Our Slightly Risque Relationship" at a bar in the city of Sokcho of Gangwon Province on May 16, 2010.

2010060118161797556_2.jpg

Hwang Woo Seul-hye [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Photographer: Chae ki-won ten@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr 1 l 2 l 3 l 4

June 1, 2010

Actress Seo Woo joins 20-20 club

100601_pm_seo.jpg

Actress Seo Woo, 25, has joined the "20-20" club, meaning two million or more in film ticket sales and a viewer rate of 20 percent or more in TV dramas.

Her latest film, "Maid," has become a box office hit with an audience of more than two million, while "Cinderella Sister" being aired on KBS2 has topped viewer ratings with 20 percent. Seo stars in both works.

"There are many actresses and actors with the '20' record in each of the two categories but a small number with both titles at the same time," said a spokesman for Seo's management agency. "Seo is a novice in acting. So it is more important for her."

Last year, the rising star played a role in the drama "Tamna the Island" and the film "Paju," attracting a large following.

June 1, 2010

Kim Je-dong show halted

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff reporter

100601_p16_kim.jpg

Kim Je-dong

Comedian Kim Je-dong will not go ahead with his eponymous talk show on a cable television network, Yonhap News reported Wednesday.

Kim recorded the first episode of the show on April 21. It was due to air on May 6. The comedian's agency said that the cable TV company Mnet delayed the premiere, after learning that Kim was to host the one-year anniversary memorial service for the late former President Roh Moo-hyun, at the end of April.

Mnet had asked the comedian's agency to reconsider Kim's role as host of the service but when it refused, the cable company delayed the airing, citing rescheduling programs for June as the reason.

Mnet was quoted as saying that the broadcast of the comedian's talk show was postponed due to the sinking of the Cheonan navy vessel and that the show is included in the June programming. "The talk show is slated for airing in June and so we are surprised by Kim's decision (to discontinue the talk show).''

Last year Kim quit hosting a popular entertainment program on state-run network KBS, among rumors were that he was pushed out for his political stance.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

June 2, 2010

Youngest MBA holder Yoon Ji-oh, “really glamorous”

100602_pm_yoon.jpg

A youngest MBA holder has claimed that she herself is "really glamorous."

Model-turned TV actress and entertainer Yoon Ji-oh, 23, showed her appearance as such in a recent recording of "The Greatest Glamour Queen," part of the SBS entertainment program "Cheopudeok, House."

Yoon is the youngest holder of an international business management degree from the graduate school of Hanyang University, and in 2007 won a supermodel contest. Resembling top actress Ko So-yeong in appearance, she is an all-round entertainer who can play the flute and saxophone, and can perform ballet and modern dance.

In "The Greatest Glamour Queen" she is competing with other celebrities including singer Lee Si-eun, 30, an Ewha Womans University graduate and the 2003 Miss Universe; racing model Kim Yoo-ha, 29; and Cho Soo-yeon, manager of a lingerie shop famous for the H cup bra, to be broadcast Thursday.

June 2, 2010

Lee Byung-hun apologizes for concert delay

By Chung Ah-young

Staff reporter

100602_p20_lee.jpg

Hallyu star Lee Byung-hun

Hallyu star Lee Byung-hun had to apologize to his Japanese fans for delays and confusion over his concerts due to a seating problem Tuesday in Tokyo.

The two concerts titled "Dramatic Live Stage IRIS," featuring the songs from the television drama IRIS, which were held at the Saitama Super Arena, were both delayed for one hour because of a rearrangement of the seats. An additional stage was abruptly set up in the zone reserved for standing room only tickets, leaving some 2,800 fans to seek other seats for both the day and night concerts.

20100601002381_0.jpg

The organizer noticed the problem only one hour before the event and prepared alternative seats on the fourth and fifth floors but the fans continued to strongly protest and 15 cops were called to the venue. The organizer explained that there was a miscommunication between the ticket issuer and the concert operator.

"I am sorry for delaying the concert for a seating problem. Please understand and I will perform more than I prepared," Lee told his fans at the concerts.

The Korean drama series "IRIS" is broadcast through TBS in Japan every Wednesday night after it scored huge popularity in Korea for its dynamic action scenes shot at global location and its star-studded casting such as Kim Tae-hee, Jung Joon-ho, Kim So-yeon and even T.O.P. from boy band Big Bang.

Credits: chungay@koreatimes.co.kr

June 3, 2010

"IRIS" soundtrack concert attracts fans in Japan

2010060309215592403_1.jpg

The cast of TV series "IRIS" attend its celebratory concert in Japan [Taewon Entertainment]

Korean blockbuster TV series "IRIS" recently confirmed its popularity in Japan at sold-out concerts featuring the main cast and singers who participated on the drama's soundtrack.

According to a press release by the show's producer Taewon Entertainment on Tuesday, major Japanese broadcaster TBS had organized a series of concerts titled "Dramatic Live Stage" as part of promoting the show's current prime-time airing in the country.

The concerts, held twice each at Osaka's Osaka-Jo Hall on May 26 and Tokyo's Saitama Super Arena on June 1, reportedly attracted a total of some 60,000 fans that ranged from teenagers to people in their 60s. The wide range of fans' age set the "IRIS" event from other Hallyu events, which are usually attended by middle-aged women in their 40s and 50s.

The event featured appearances by the show's cast including Lee Byung-hun, Kim Tae-hee, Jung Joon-ho, Kim So-yeon, Kim Seung-woo and T.O.P from idol group Big Bang and performances by top Korean singers such as Shin Seung-hoon, Baik Ji-young and Kim Tae-woo who had sung on the soundtrack.

The actors even performed certain action scenes and shoot-outs during the concert, re-enacting parts of the action-filled show for the fans.

"IRIS" became a national phenomenon in Korea last year for its intense storyline, global location shoots and a star-studded cast. The drama sparked a frenzy among viewers around the country and dominated weekly TV ratings charts during its two-month run.

"IRIS" airs in Japan every Wednesday evening at 9 p.m.

2010060309215592403_2.jpg

"IRIS" original soundtrack concert held in Japan [Taewon Entertainment]

Reporter: Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Archived