[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

logoaf.gif

May 24, 2010

Lee Chang-dong's "Poetry" wins best screenplay at Cannes

Reporter.Ko Kyoung-seok Editor.Lynn Kim

2010052413224609501_1.jpg

Veteran Korean actress Yoon Jeong-hee and director Lee Chang-don [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean film "Poetry," written and directed by noted filmmaker Lee Chang-dong, won best screenplay at the 63rd Cannes Film Festival.

"Poetry," which stars veteran Korean actress Yoon Jeong-hee, was considered one of the favorites for the Palme d'Or prize at the event but had to settle for best screenplay. The film is about an elderly woman who learns how to write her own poems while fighting Alzheimer's.

During a brief interview with Korean reporters after the awards ceremony, Lee appeared satisfied for winning best screenplay but expressed his disappointment for Yoon. "I actually didn't expect to win Palme d'Or because it is extremely difficult to objectively judge a film," said the director. "Winning such an award is only possible when several factors come together. In fact, I was feeling burdened by people's enormous expectations."

"What I had hoped for was a best actress award and I thought that Yoon was more than worthy of winning," the director went on to say. "The audience and industry officials who had seen the film were all moved by Yoon Jeong-hee's acting and supported her. I think that alone is as good as winning an award."

20100524001155_0.jpg

koreaherald.com

Last week, both Yoon and Lee had received a standing ovation for their works after the gala screening. Another Korean pic "The Housemaid," directed by Im Sang-soo, failed to pick up a trophy but is said to have made a strong impression on movie industry executives who had seen the film at the screening.

Meanwhile, the coveted Palme d'Or was handed to "Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives," directed by Apichatpong Weerasethakul who had previously won the Jury Prize for 2004 film "Tropical Malady."

"Uncle" is about a sick, middle-aged man who explores his past lives and the source of his illness as he encounters the ghost of his dead wife and a lost son who has returned in a non-human form. "Uncle marks the first time ever for a Thail film and the first time in thirteen years for an Asian film to claim Cannes' top honor since Iran's "Taste of Cherry" and Japan's "The Eel" shared the award in 1997.

French movies looked to be a favorite among the judges, headed by eccentric U.S. filmmaker Tim Burton, as films "Of Gods And Men" and "A Screaming Man" picked up the Grand Prize of the Jury and the Jury Prize, respectively. Spain's Javier Bardem and Italy's Elio Germano shared the best actor title for their films "Biutiful" and "Our Life," respectively, while French actress Juliette Binoche claimed her first best actress trophy at Cannes for her role in "Certified Copy."

2010 Cannes Film Festival - In Competition - List of Winners

- FEATURE FILMS -

▲ Palme d'Or : "Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives", directed by Apichatpong Weerasethakul (Thailand)

▲ Grand Prix : "Of Gods And Men", directed by Xavier Beauvois (France)

▲ Jury Prize : "A Screaming Man", directed by Mahamat-Saleh Haroun (France/Belgium/Chad)

▲ Best Actor : Javier Bardem in "Biutiful" (Mexico), Elio Germano in "Our Life" (Italy)

▲ Best Actress : Juliette Binoche in "Certified Copy" (France)

▲ Best Director : Mathieu Amalric for "On Tour" (France)

▲ Best Screenplay : Lee Chang-don for "Poetry" (Korea)

▲ Camera d'Or : "Ano Bisiesto", directed by Michael Rowe (Mexico)

- SHORT FILMS -

▲ Palme d'Or - Short Film : "Barking Island", directed by Serge Avedikian (France)

▲ Jury Prize - Short Film : "Bathing Micky", directed by Frida Kempff (Sweden)

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May 24, 2010

Actress Han Ga-in returns after three year hiatus

Han Ga-in’s career does not follow the usual trajectory of a budding starlet.

At the tender age of 23, the doe-eyed beauty married “Yellow Handkerchief” co-star Yeon Jung-hoon, a move that broke the hearts of many male fans. Then after her turn as a prickly career woman in SBS’ “Yu-hee, the Witch” (2007), she opted for a three-year hiatus.

Han’s career path went against what most young actresses would have done, which would have been to build up a diverse repertoire of projects and draw more fans by staying single. Instead, she appeared in a steady string of television commercials, lighting up the screen with her bright and cheery smile as she patted her face with powder or admired a freshly laundered blanket.

20100524001111_0.jpg

Actress Han Ga-in makes her small screen comeback as Moon Ja-in

in SBS’ “Bad Boy,” which airs on May 26. GOOD STORY

Then news broke that the leading lady would be making her small screen comeback in SBS’ new Wednesday and Thursday night series “Bad Boy.”

Now a considerably more mature 28 year old, Han revealed why she jumped on board. “I started thinking ‘I should do a project now, I should do one now,’ a while back, actually,” she said at the drama’s press conference on May 19. “But there wasn’t anything available that I really wanted to do. So, while I was waiting, director Lee Hyung-min asked to meet up and talk, so I did.”

The talk spawned her casting into director Lee’s “Bad Boy,” a decision that was spurred by the synopsis and by news that co-stars would include “The Great Queen Seondeok” heartthrob Kim Nam-gil and “Coffee Prince” actor Kim Jae-wook. “I thought that there might be a bit of a difference between this character and ones that I have played in the past,” she added. “I had a good feeling about it and so for the first time in a long time I thought, ‘I would like to give this a try.’” “And now there’s a rumor running around that you regret it,” co-star Kim Nam-gil quipped.

To which an equally feisty Han retorted: “I hope comments like this are left out.” While regret does not seem to figure among the range of emotions Han is experiencing, nerves definitely do. “It has been so long, a total of three years, that I am so worried that I can’t sleep well these days,” she revealed.

Nary a telltale under-eye circle or sallow complexion made its mark on her flawless face, however, as the actress described her upcoming role. “I don’t think she is pretty,” she explained of her character. “She has such violent temper.”

Indeed, Han’s heroine, Moon Ja-in, runs more toward predatory than lovely damsel-in-distress. A Lily Bart-esque social climber, Moon is intent on landing herself a chaebol heir and has her sights set on Hong Tae-seong (Kim Jae-wook). Her unforeseen entanglement with vengeful knave Shim Geon-wook (Kim Nam-gil), however, may ruin her plans.

Han seems to harbor no reservations about her less-than-sweet role, and consequently of the departure from her television commercial image: “I am not worried about it. Actually I want to break that image because there is some difference between the image seen in commercials and the real me.”

“There is a big difference,” Kim interjected. 

Han laughed before adding: “Yes so I want to break that image. I think it’s fun that way and I think it will be refreshing and new to viewers.”

By Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

logoaf.gif

May 25, 2010

Poetic justice for Lee Chang-dong

Cannes rewarded him after Kofic turned him down

24213820.jpg

Korean filmmaker Lee Chang-dong won the best screenplay award at the Cannes Film Festival

on Sunday (local time). The novelist-turned-filmmaker is the first Korean artist to win the screenplay

award at the prestigious film festival. [AFP/YONHAP]

Novelist-turned-director Lee Chang-dong’s screenplay for “Poetry” received zero points from the Korean Film Council when he submitted his application for funding from the government-supported council last year. The council said the reason for the low score was that the screenplay was written like a novel, not a screenplay.

The unconventional format may not have been acceptable to the council, but it did impress the jury at this year’s Cannes Film Festival, where it picked up the award for best screenplay on Sunday (local time). With that, Lee has become the first Korean to earn the best screenplay award at Cannes. “We anticipated the possibility that the film could win an award, but nobody knew until the big day,” said Song Ki-hyun, a spokeswoman for the film’s public relations team. “Director Lee was spending time in Paris on his own, but on Sunday morning the festival organizer called and asked him to appear at the closing ceremony. He and the other actors will probably have a press conference this Wednesday or Thursday in Korea after they fly home,” Song added.

Poetry received rave reviews from critics and the foreign press for mixing two starkly different topics - poetry and rape - into a single film. Through this film, Lee said in a press conference held last month that he wanted to “give people a chance to think about beautiful things that are forgotten.”

Winning the best screenplay award is a great achievement for Lee, but it is not the first time his work has been recognized at Cannes. In 2007, Lee’s “Secret Sunshine” brought the best actress award to actress Jeon Do-yeon. In 2009, Lee was invited to be on the feature films jury at that year’s festival.

Although Lee has become influential at Cannes, he says that filmmaking is always challenging for him. “Whenever I make a new film, I always ask the same question of myself: ‘Is this going to be a hit?’ But if the truth of the film is conveyed to moviegoers, I believe that I can share the things that I want to say with the audience,” Lee said.

When asked last month about his chances of winning at Cannes, he said, “I’m just waiting, and it’s better for me to keep a low profile before the festival. “But I feel comfortable because a handful of people around me who have had a sneak peek of the film have told me that this one is less uncomfortable than my previous films,” he said with a laugh.

Unlike other directors who started their careers when they were in college, Lee made his first full-length film, “Green Fish” (1997), when he was 43. Before he stepped into the film industry, he wrote novels. Before that, he taught Korean literature in a high school. Lee got a late start, but his films, including “Peppermint Candy” (1999) and “Oasis” (2002), have won critical acclaim for their honest portrayal of difficult issues in Korean society.

This year’s Cannes Film Festival was something of a showcase for the nation’s film industry. Four Korean films were invited to the festival this year. Lee’s Poetry and Im Sang-soo’s “The Housemaid” competed for the Grand Prix, while Hong Sang-soo’s “Ha Ha Ha” earned the top prize in Un Certain Regard, a sidebar competition. Hong has been invited to Cannes six times, including this year, but this is his first award. Jang Cheol-soo’s horror flick “Bedevilled” was also screened at Critics Week, another side event.

Meanwhile, at the Cannes film market the copyright to the Korean war film “71 - Into the Fire” was sold to four countries: Germany, England, Singapore and Russia. It will be released in Korea on June 17 at theaters nationwide.

By Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.com

Lee Chang-dong and actress Yun Jung-hee pose after the director won the Best Screenplay award for his film "Poetry" at the closing ceremony of the 63rd Cannes Film Festival on Sunday. /AFP-Yonhap

2010052500392_0.jpg

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

May 25, 2010

Kim Kang-woo to wed actress Han Hye-jin's sister

Reporter.Ko Jae-wan Editor.Lynn Kim

2010052508591150466_1.jpg

Korean actor Kim Kang-woo [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Kim Kang-woo will be marrying his longtime girlfriend next month, who is also the older sister of actress Han Hye-jin.

In a phone call with Asia Economic Daily on Monday, Kim's agency Namoo Actors explained that the actor will wed his girlfriend Han Moo-young, who runs an online shopping mall, in a private ceremony at Seoul's Myeong-dong Cathedral on June 18.

Further details about their wedding such as their honeymoon destination or who will host and officiate the ceremony has not been decided as of yet. The couple, both 32, have been dating for seven years since they first met through a mutual friend in 2003. Talks of a wedding surfaced last year but it was dismissed as being "not true."

Kim, who made his acting debut in 2002 film "The Coast Guard," has starred in numerous films and dramas including "Le Grand Chef" (2007), "Marine Boy" (2009), "The Railroad" (2007) for which he won the best actor title at the 25th Torino Film Festival.

He also appeared in the acclaimed Hong Sang-soo pic "Hahaha," which won the grand prize in the "Un Certain Regard" category at Cannes Film Festival over the weekend.

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Actor to tie knot with actress’ sister

By Han Sang-hee

Staff reporter

100525_p16_actor.jpg

Actor Kim Kang-woo

Actor Kim Kang-woo is to wed actress Han Hye-jin's older sister, according to his agency Namoo Actors.

"The couple has decided to tie the knot this year. Kim is currently very happy as many have started to congratulate him,'' the agency said. The elder Han is currently running an internet shopping mall and made headlines as it was revealed that she was the sister of the popular actress Han Hye-jin.

The wedding will take place at Myeongdong Cathedral, June 18. The 31-year-old actor has been dating Han for the past seven years and news of their relationship broke back in 2007.

Kim made his debut in 2002 in the film "The Coast Guard.'' The talented actor captivated fans with his charismatic image and acting skills. He has appeared in various movies, including the hit film 'Le Grand Chef,'' "The Railroad'' and ``The War of Flowers.'' In 2007, he won the Best Actor award for his role in "The Railroad'' at the 2nd Torino Film Festival in Italy.

Credits; sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

May 25, 2010

"The Housemaid" sold to 15 countries at Cannes

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

2010052509085659356_2.jpg

Korean erotic thriller "The Housemaid" [sidus F&H]

Korean film "The Housemaid" caught the attention of numerous foreign buyers at the Cannes Film Market, selling to a total 15 countries at the event held in time with the Cannes Film Festival.

A press release by Sidus F&H announced that at the Film Market held during the film fest into its 63rd year, the erotic thriller was sold to France, Italy, Germany, Greece, Russia, Israel, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, New Zealand, Australia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand.

Hong Kong's head of Edko Films Ltd. William Kong was one of the first buyers to purchase rights for the film, while this is the first Korean film Italian distributor Fandango has picked up.

Distributor Long Shong Entertainment Multimedia Taiwan bought "The Housemaid" for Taiwan. They had acquired the rights for Korean action film "Shiri" 10 years ago.

"The Housemaid," a remake of a Korean classic from the 1960s, is about a young maid who is hired as a housemaid for a wealthy couple and begins to have an affair with the husband.

The modern adaptation, starring 2007 Cannes best actress winner Jeon Do-youn, actor Lee Jung-jae and veteran actress Yoon Yeo-jung, was up for main competition at this year's fest but failed to win an award.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 25, 2010

Horror movie 'Ghost' sets sights on teen audience

By Kim Hyun

20100512000371_0.jpg

SEOUL, May 25 (Yonhap) -- If a horror film is meant to be visual tour de force that makes general viewers shiver with fear, "Ghost," a teen horror flick by three young directors, certainly falls short of the genre's usual strength. Instead, the ultra-low budget film seems to have decisively decided on its niche audience, adopting an unconventional omnibus format and conveying morals from a teenager's point of view.

Ghost presents three zombie tales by Jo Eun-kyung, Hong Dong-myung and Yeo Myung-jun, each of whom present tales of unrelated gory events taking place in Korea's competition-driven high school classrooms. There is no connection between the episodes, but each of them manages to deliver teenage angst that often stirs up empathy rather than horror.

In the first episode, the ghost of a long-dead student who had committed suicide starts to call others to their deaths. The next story turns to a girl desperate to keep her pregnancy a secret, while a harsh reality ends her friendship with her best friend in a bloody betrayal. The film then incorporates elements of romance and action in the third episode, with the ghost of a teenage girl haunting a boy with supernatural power, seeking revenge and love.

The film takes on social issues plaguing Korea's modern education system -- bullying, isolation, teen pregnancy, student victimization by teachers and vice versa -- from the perspective of its audience. There is often a clear view of good and evil, as in the third episode, in which an angry teacher viciously beating a girl is metamorphosed into a serial killer in a scene that seems to define the film's niche demographic. For a wider audience, the film may lack emotional resonance.

The 170 million won (US$140,000) film, which was screened at the Midnight Passion section of Pusan International Film Festival last year, features mostly teenaged actors who are relative new, except Kim Kkot-bi, who made her mark in a leading role for Yang Ik-joon's critically acclaimed film "Breathless" last year.

Produced by Generation Blue Films, Ghost will open in a limited release on June 10.

Source: hkim@yna.co.kr yonhapnews.co.kr

May 25, 2010

Ko Hyun-jung to meet with fans on June 13

Reporter.Park Kun-ouc Editor.Lucia Hong

2010052515032725605_2.jpg

Korean actress Ko Hyun-jung [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actress Ko Hyun-jung will hold her first-ever fan meeting on June 13, according to her agency on Tuesday.

"This will be the first official fan meeting for the actress who made her debut 21 years ago. The event will be held at the CGV Art Hall located at the Times Square shopping center in Yeongdeungpo," an official at DE CHOCOLATE E&TF explained to Asia Economic Daily over the phone. "Ko has planned various special events for her fans and other celebrities will make special guest appearances," the rep went on to say.

Ko, who started out in the entertainment industry as a former Miss Korea runner-up in 1989, rose to stardom after starring in 1995 smash hit TV series "Hourglass." She became one of the most sought-after actresses thereafter but had put the breaks on her acting career till 2005 while she was married to Samsung Group Chairman Lee Kun-hee's nephew Chung Yong-jin. The two split in 2003.

Ko regained her reputation as Korea's top actress last year after playing a royal concubine in MBC historical TV series "Queen Seondeok" which reached ratings of over 40 percent and won her the award for best actress at the broadcaster's drama awards.

She is scheduled to star in a upcoming drama tentatively titled "Big Thing" alongside Hallyu star Kwon Sang-woo set to air in the latter half of the year.

Reporter : Park Kun-ouc kun1112@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 25, 2010

T.O.P says visits amusement parks wearing masks

Reporter.Park So-yoen Editor.Lynn Kim

2010052510022695687_1.jpg

Korean singer and actor T.O.P at a showcase for film "Into Fire" [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean singer and actor Choi Seung-hyun, better known as T.O.P from idol group Big Bang, has said that he sometimes visits amusement parks with his bandmates wearing masks.

Speaking at a showcase for film "Into Fire," held Monday at Seoul's Lotte World Garden Stage, the pop idol remarked, "When I feel stifled, I come [to amusement parks] to have a good time without people knowing. People don't recognize me because I wear a mask when I come."

Actor Kim Seung-woo, who also stars in the film, described the young star as "a very serious person who, unlike young people these days, is not calculative." Director Lee Jae-han had only praises for Choi and his acting as well, saying that he was "surprised to see a scene where Seung-hyun cries so hard that his nose is running while watching a fellow soldier die."

When asked who can hold his alcohol the best amongst the film's cast members, Hallyu star Kwon Sang-woo pointed to T.O.P and answered, "He is the best drinker. He wouldn't let me go to sleep saying he wanted to hear more about my stories." "It was so fun staying in Hapcheon [where they shot the film] with these older guys and listening to their stories," T.O.P said in response. "It was really great to listen to their advice and learn from them."

Choi, 22, debuted in 2007 as the rapper of five-member band Big Bang which quickly became one of the hottest idol groups and considered a huge cultural icon for youngsters in Korea. He also crossed over to acting, appearing in the comics-based TV series "I Am Sam" (KBS2, 2007) and playing an assassin in last year's smash hit "IRIS" alongside top Korean actors Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-hee.

"Into Fire," which opens in Korea on June 17, is a war pic based on the true story of 71 student soldiers who fought during the Korean War.

Reporter : Park So-yoen muse@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

"Into Fire" director, cast attend showcase

Photographer.Park Sung-Ki Editor.Jessica Kim

2010052515493136443_1.jpg

From left, director Lee Jae-han and actors Kim Seung-woo, T.O.P, Kwon Sang-woo and Cha Seung-won pose during a photo session of a showcase for film "Into Fire" held at Lotte World in Seoul, South Korea on May 24, 2010.

2010052515130779391_1.jpg

Actors Kwon Sang-woo whispers to Cha Seung-won during a showcase for film "Into Fire" held at Lotte World in Seoul, South Korea on May 24, 2010.

2010052515130779391_3.jpg

Actors Kim Seung-woo talks to Kwon Sang-woo at a showcase for film "Into Fire" held at Lotte World in Seoul, South Korea on May 24, 2010.

2010052515130779391_4.jpg

Actors Kwon Sang-woo laughs as Cha Seung-won stands up to show off his model walk during a showcase for film "Into Fire" held at Lotte World in Seoul, South Korea on May 24, 2010.

2010052515111144769_1.jpg

Actor Kwon Sang-woo poses during a photo session of a showcase for film "Into Fire" held at Lotte World in Seoul, South Korea on May 24, 2010.

2010052515111144769_2.jpg

Actor Kim Seung-woo poses during a photo session of a showcase for film "Into Fire" held at Lotte World in Seoul, South Korea on May 24, 2010.

2010052515065160574_1.jpg

Singer and actor T.O.P (Choi Seung-hyun) poses during a photo session of a showcase for film "Into Fire" held at Lotte World in Seoul, South Korea on May 24, 2010.

2010052515065160574_2.jpg

Model and actor Cha Seung-won poses during a photo session of a showcase for film "Into Fire" held at Lotte World in Seoul, South Korea on May 24, 2010.

Photographer: Park Sung-Ki musictok@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr 1 l 2 l 3 l 4

May 25, 2010

Will Kim, Han create magic thru 'Bad Boy'

By Han Sang-hee

Staff reporter

20100525145558945b0_150628_0.jpg

The teary-eyed heartthrob from the period drama "The Great Queen Seondeok'' Kim Nam-gil, joins one of the prettiest actresses in the business for a stylish plot of love, betrayal and revenge. Will this combination captivate viewers? Find out tonight with a brand new soap "Bad Boy'' on SBS.

Kim became a household name, not to mention one of the most sought after actors in the industry, after appearing as Bi-dam in the hit drama last year. After some commercials and a movie, the 29-year-old decided to return to the small screen as Shim Geon-wook, a heartless stuntman who knows how to deal with pretty girls with innocent hearts to achieve his goal.

"(Shim is) an innocent but bad guy,'' he said during a press conference last week.

Shim is adopted by a rich family that owns Haeshin Group, one of the biggest and richest companies in the country. But when the young Shim is abandoned by his own family due to a misunderstanding, he vows to destroy everything they have and win back the love and fortune he was once promised. "You can't hate him because while his actions may be based on vengeance; he's actually lonely and is longing for love. I'm actually trying to focus on my acting instead of trying to look good this time,'' Kim said.

The role of Bi-dam was indeed a huge break for Kim, and many guessed that Kim would be worried it might somehow overshadow him and hinder him from bringing something new to viewers. This was not really the case for Kim after all."I actually wasn't thinking of doing a drama after 'Seondeok.' The ratings were so good and I didn't think I would be able to find a character that would surpass Bi-dam. To be honest, I think this role is quite similar: the character and even the acting,'' he confessed. "So after talking with the director, I thought it would be better if I could bring a more mature version of what viewers are used to seeing, if it was impossible to change the character completely.''

His decision was clear, for he was sporting the same long hair, mustache and mischievous smile at the press event. Meanwhile, television fans will also get to meet another star who left the small screen for quite some time. Han Ga-in will appear as Kim's love interest Mun Jae-in. This is Han's first drama in three years, and the news that she was returning to the small screen attracted reporters near and far, with more than 300 swarming the venue to take a closer look at the 28-year-old.

Mun is pretty, smart and ambitious, but lacks the perfect background. She turns toward Shim, but when she finds out that he's been disowned the family and its fortune, she quickly pulls herself together. Showing a stern and heartless face may be easy, but she finds herself caught between her ambitions to succeed and her affections toward the love of her life.

Han has appeared in a number of dramas since her debut in 2002, such as "Witch Amusement'' (SBS) and "Dr. Gang'' (MBC), but her performances didn't wow the audience. Along with stars such as Lee Na-young and Shin Min-a, it's true that she is more categorized as a "CF star,'' but Han wants to change that misconception. "I am not pretty at all in the drama. I'm a bit evil, even. I accepted the role in the drama because I wasn't scared to brush off my goddess image from commercials,'' she said.

For an actress, returning to either the big or small screen can be a burden, for younger and more talented newcomers instantly steal the spotlight. Han admitted she was worried to return after a three-year hiatus, but was more prepared than ever. "I have a hard time falling asleep these days but I promise I will show the best of me,'' she said laughing. The two actors may attract young viewers, but the drama is welcoming yet another, more experienced, actress to lead the story with a firmer grip.

Actress Oh Yeon-su will play Hong Tae-ra, the oldest daughter of the Haeshin Group. Hong lives a rather peaceful life with her husband and children, but feels a change of heart when she meets Shim. Her life is shattered as she falls for him, opening the door of revenge for Shim.

Oh may be in her late 30s, but she is charismatic and charming enough to play opposite with one of the hottest guys in the entertainment business. "There's a love scene, which made me and also my husband a bit nervous,'' she told reporters with a smile.

The tale of a love triangle, revenge and money will unfold tonight at 9:55.

Source: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr l yahoo.kr

May 26, 2010

Kang Ji-hwan to star in Korean original musical in Japan

Reporter.Lynn Kim Editor.Jessica Kim

2010052609275113402_1.jpg

Korean actor Kang Ji-hwan [s-Plus Entertainment]

Korean actor Kang Ji-hwan has been cast in an original Korean musical production titled "Caffeine," which he also co-produced, as the production sets sail for its first overseas run in Japan.

According to a press release by his agency S-Plus Entertainment on Wednesday, the actor will be performing in 23 shows in Japan, from October 16 to November 7. He will also be taking part, as producer, in the Korean version of the musical which kicks off in August.

"Kang Ji-hwan has been the driving force behind the projects," said an official at production company SH CREATIVE WORKS. "He has been involved since the initial planning stages of both the Korean and Japanese versions of the musical." The official further added that the actor will start rehearsing for "Caffeine" as soon as his current SBS TV series "Coffee House" ends its run on the small screen.

A source at agency S-Plus also explained that Kang understands the significance of producing an original musical and starring in the overseas tour of the production. No Korean star has ever accomplished such a feat and Kang, the source said, "hopes that this project will succeed and become the foundation for the growth of Korean Wave."

"Caffeine," a story about a female barista and a male sommelier who fall in love, was a hit during its initial run in Korea last year. This year, the show will begin its run in August at Seoul's Art One Theater.

Kang made his debut in the entertainment industry through popular musical productions "Rocky Horror Show" (2001) and "Grease" (2004). He has since appeared in several notable dramas and films including "Be Strong, Geum-soon!" (MBC, 2005), "Hong Gil-dong, the Hero" (KBS2, 2008) and "My Girlfriend is an Agent" (2009) alongside actress Kim Ha-neul.

Tickets for the Japan shows are open for reservation on Kang's official Japanese website (www.kangstar.jp) from May 27 through June 2.

Reporter: Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 26, 2010

Ryu Si-won turns producer for new female artist Rottyful Sky

2010052610480775177_1.jpg

Korean singer Rottyful Sky (left) and producer Ryu Si-won [R's Company]

Korean singer and actor Ryu Si-won has turned record producer for new female artist Rottyful Sky, according to a press release by his agency R's Company on Wednesday.

Ryu expressed strong hopes and determination for his new role as producer, saying "I will invest in her career both financially and emotionally to help her succeed as a singer." "Rottyful Sky has been preparing for her debut for the past eight years," the Hallyu star was quoted as saying. "She is an extraordinary new artist who is full of natural talent as well as singing and dancing abilities."

He went onto say that it is his "dream and goal to give as many opportunities to young singers who have potential and help them seize those opportunities." "I don't want to be just a producer in name," the singer went on to say. "I want to check every little detail during the production process and set the direction for their successful careers."

Rottyful Sky, whose real name is Kim Hanul, made her debut in Korea in 2001, releasing her first album "Voice Of Purity" at the age of thirteen. Last year, she appeared as a musical guest at Ryu Si-won's birthday party/fan meeting where she announced her comeback. She was also featured on the soundtrack for SBS TV series "Style," which starred Ryu and top Korean actress Kim Hye-soo.

Her comeback single, titled "No Way," is scheduled for release in July.

Reporter: Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 26, 2010

Film director dies in apparent suicide

By Han Sang-hee

Staff reporter

100526_p24_film.jpg

The late Kwak Ji-kyoon

Film director Kwak Ji-kyoon passed away in an apparent suicide Tuesday evening, according to Yonhap News Agency.

The 56-year-old director was discovered at his home in Daejeon in a room full of carbon monoxide.

He left a suicide note that read "I'm troubled because I have no work.''

The news agency quoted an acquaintance of Kwak, saying that he was suffering from depression over the past 10 years and he was having a hard time dealing with the thought of not being able to make movies.

The director made his debut in 1986 with the film "Winter Wanderer'' and became famous for directing melodramatic films such as "Portrait of the Days of Youth'' (1990) and "Plum Blossom'' (2000).

Famous for making trendy and hip films, he once worked with some of the top actors and actresses in the business, including Choi Min-soo, Kang Soo-yeon and Lee Mi-suk.

He also won numerous awards throughout his career, including the New Director Award in 1986 and Best Film at the Daejong Film Festival in 1991.

In 2007, he made a comeback with the film "Fly High,'' his first major work in six years.

Source: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr l news.nate.com

May 26, 2010

Korean film "Man of Vendetta" presold to China, Taiwan

2010052613142304673_1.jpg

Official poster of "Man of Vendetta" [Daisy Entertainment]

Korean film "Man of Vendetta" was presold to China and Taiwan at the film market in France held at the 63rd annual Cannes Film Festival.

According to a press release from the film's production company Daisy Entertainment, China's Metro-Cine and Taiwan's Catchplay bought the distribution rights for the movie after seeing the scenario, trailer and poster revealed at the film market. Daisy also explained that several other foreign distributors were inquiring about the film.

"Man of Vendetta," starring Kim Myung-min and Uhm Ki-joon, is about the story of a pastor whose life changes after the abduction of his daughter.

The movie will open in local theaters during the first week of July.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 26, 2010

Park Yong-ha to star in Hong Kong pic "Comrades" TV remake

Reporter.Lim Hye-seon Editor.Lynn Kim

2010052613285208389_1.jpg

Korean actor Park Yong-ha [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Park Yong-ha is set to star in the small screen adaptation of legendary Hong Kong pic "Comrades, Almost a Love Story," according to the film's producer Verdi Media on Wednesday.

Verdi announced that the actor has been cast as the male lead for the Korean remake while producers are still looking for an actress to play the main female character opposite Park.

"The film 'Comrades,' which was praised by three billion Asians, will be reborn as a high-quality Hallyu drama through the hands of the best Hallyu writer, producer, actors and crew," an official at Verdi was quoted as saying. The series will be directed by TV producer Ji Young-soo ("Oh! Pil-seung Bong Soon-yeong", "My Fair Lady") and written by Oh Soo-yeon who penned smash hits dramas "Winter Sonata" (KBS2, 2002) and "Autumn Tale" (KBS2, 2000).

"Comrades," which starred top Hong Kong movie stars Maggie Cheung and Leon Lai, was the top-grossing foreign film when it was released in Korea in 1997. The film is an epic love story between two Chinese mainlanders who meet and fall in love in Hong Kong.

The local TV version, which will go into shoot around late July, is scheduled to air in Korea at the end of the year.

Park, 32, gained popularity throughout Asia after appearing in "Winter Sonata", a drama that first started the Hallyu craze, alongside top actors Bae Yong-joon and Choi Ji-woo. He has also led a successful singing career in Japan where he has placed several albums within the top 10 ranks of the Oricon charts and won four consecutive Japan Gold Disc Awards.

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon lhsro@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 26, 2010

Soccer hits the silver screen

You know that the World Cup must be around the corner when a number of soccer-related movies hit the theaters. No less than four are in the pipeline in South Korea, for fans who find three games a day broadcast from South Africa not quite enough to satisfy their soccer cravings.

The two most high-profile of the quartet are already out and these are “Dreams Come True” and “The Second Coming: The Moken Tribe’s World Cup.”

20100526001258_0.jpg

“Dreams Come True” is a movie in which 2000 hit “Joint Security Area” meets the 2002 World Cup. It follows how soldiers from both sides of the DMZ attempt to get together and watch South Korea’s famous run to the semifinals eight years ago.

“There are many great movies about football,” said director Kye Yoon-shik when I asked him why he made the film. “‘Dreams come True’ is a movie that deals with the Inter-Korean relations through the prism of football and that makes us question what the problem between South and North Korea truly is.”

With North and South Korea both heading to the World Cup for the first time ever, there couldn’t be a better time to release the film -- and at least that was how it looked until recently. “It is not good timing to be releasing the movie due to the current tensions between the North and the South right now,” admitted Kye and added, “but in 2009 when I started making this movie, we were planning to release it before the 2010. I had no choice but to follow the schedule for the movie distribution.”

The film’s message is not hard to guess and it is a positive one. “Football can’t solve all diplomatic problems, but I believe that football, which is world’s most loved sport, could certainly bring people together and contribute to establishing peace in the world. Korea is the last remaining vestige of the Cold War and we’re a divided nation. Also I think this touching story about football told with a comic twist makes the movie appealing to viewers from all over the world.

South Korea is in the running to host the 2022 World Cup and there is talk of allowing Pyongyang to host a couple of games if the bid is successful and it is something that the director agrees with. “Football is the most popular sport in Korea and it has given this nation true confidence and peace. I sincerely hope that we will be the host of the 2022 World Cup.”

20100526001259_0.jpg

“The Moken Tribe’s World Cup” is a rather different affair. Just on the Thailand-Myanmar border resides the Moken tribe. Used to playing with footballs made from bound papaya leaves, this documentary tells the story of how Korean Kang Sung-min, a very talented soccer player, trains and teaches the local boys how to play the beautiful game.

It is an inspiring tale of how this motley group of boys who have never seen a real football before are molded into a tight-knit team, based, partly at least, on the training routines introduced by Guus Hiddink in 2002. The film doesn’t end there, the cameras travel with the team as they are allowed to enter a regional under-14 tournament for the first time. There, the boys, who play bare-footed, take on teams physically bigger, stronger and better-equipped but not necessarily better.

“Soccer is life and dreams and hope for these children,” director Shin Hyun-won told me. “Once they acquire nationality (the tribe are not yet officially citizens of Thailand) I’m certain that they can become professional players and even national team players because these Mogen children have passion for football. And Kang created 100 football teams for children all over the region. Among the children taught by Kang are national team players, female national team players, youth national team players and many more.

“There are 3,500 youth players and 100 coaches from all over southeast Asia who learned from Kang. I believe that Korea must take the leadership role to contribute to world football as Asia’s football powerhouse with eight appearances at the World Cup.”

By John Duerden

Contributing writer (johnduerden@hotmail.com) l koreaherald.com

May 26, 2010

Gay drama raises religious groups' eyebrows

By Lee Hyo-sik

Staff reporter

100526_p03_gay.jpg

Korean society seems much more tolerant about homosexuality these days. But what about a gay kissing scene on a prime time TV drama? That may be too much for at least some religious groups in this society where Confucian values are still dominant.

Nevertheless, homosexuality is no longer taboo as a soap opera theme. It’s emerging as a popular topic, raising the eyebrows of some religious groups. Conservative Christian groups argue that it is inappropriate for terrestrial broadcasters to air TV dramas featuring gay love, insisting it negatively influences the “sacred” institution of marriage between men and women. However, progressive religious organizations say that now is the time for Korea to openly discuss the controversial issue and find ways of properly protecting homosexuals and other social minorities.

SBS, one of Korea’s major broadcasters, is currently airing a soap opera, titled “Beautiful Life” on Saturdays and Sundays, which deals with love between two gay men, and their conflicts with family members and friends. Its viewer ratings exceeded 20 percent on May 23 when the two came out of the closet, pointing to Koreans’ growing interests in the once-social taboo.

MBC also aired a drama, titled “Personal Taste,” featuring a man who pretended to be a gay in order to live together with a woman he is in love with. An actual homosexual man played the gay character. With more soap operas and other entertainment programs shedding light on homosexuality, conservative religious groups have begun stepping up on criticism against what they call the “glamorization of gays and lesbians” by TV program producers seeking to draw a larger viewership.

The Korean Association of Church Communication (KACC), a lobbying group for conservative Christian churches here, recently released a statement, blasting broadcasters for making homosexuality seem more alluring. “Everybody knows that homosexual relationships are ‘not a social norm.’ A family should be made up of a man and a woman, with children being born and raised by a father and a mother. It is what the mighty God intended for humans.”

The organization then said it is not right for the society to generalize and approve homosexuality, stressing that a series of recent TV programs have overly beautified gays and homosexual love, negatively affecting the acceptable growth of adolescent sexuality.

“The problem with soap operas featuring gays is that homosexuality concerns only a small number of individuals. Most of us have nothing to do with it,” KACC spokesman Shim Man-sup said. “Gays can pursue their own lifestyle privately. But when homosexuality is highlighted and glamorized by TV programs, it not a private matter anymore. Broadcasters must stop commercially exploiting the issue for the common good.”

Another conservative Christian group, Esther Prayer Movement, sent an email message to its members early this week, saying if TV programs continue to feature gays as they do now, many adolescents may be misinformed about homosexuality.

It urged members to send protest emails and make complaining phone calls to broadcasters, and if necessary, to stage a boycott campaign against them. In contrast, progressive religious groups say that the recent emergence of homosexuality should serve as a chance for Korean society to pay more attention to the welfare of social minorities and discuss how to better protect their rights.

“We do not hold a particular stance on this controversial issue. But we believe that everybody is equal before God and gays should not be discriminated against for their sexual preference,” said Ching Yong-taek, spokesman for the Christian Institute for the 3rd Era. “Their rights should be protected in a more institutionalized manner. We will take a range of measures to further publicize the issue.”

The group plans to hold a forum under the theme of “Beyond Hatred of Homosexuality” in Seoul on June 7, inviting a number of liberal-minded theologians from home and abroad in a bid to inform more Christians of homosexuality in the context of the Bible.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

May 26, 2010

Japanese idols KAT-TUN want to meet Han Hyo-joo

Reporter.Cho Bum-ja Editor.Lucia Hong

2010052616493038316_1.jpg2010052653551760.jpg

Members of the Japanese boy band KAT-TUN [Johnny&Associates]

Japanese idols KAT-TUN have revealed in a monthly magazine that they want to meet Korean actress Han Hyo-joo.

According to an interview the group conducted with Japanese magazine TVnavi, the members talked about their upcoming Asia tour beginning this month in Thailand, Korea and Taiwan, as well as mentioning their interest in Han. "We are looking forward to seeing a lot of pretty women in Korea. We heard somewhere that we are quite popular in the country," Tatsuya Ueda and Yuichi Nakamaru were quoted saying.

Tatsuya Ueda went on to say, "To be honest, I have someone who I would like to meet when I go to Korea. I want to meet the female lead from the drama "Shining Inheritance. She is so pretty." "Since she is familiar with the culture in Japan she knows who KAT-TUN is. She is also interested in the band and wants to thank them for their interest," a representative from Han's agency BH Entertainment stated in response.

KAT-TUN, who made their debut in March 2006, have recorded numerous hit songs in the country including "Real Face," "Signal" and recently "Going!"

Actress Han has appeared in several movies and dramas including "Spring Waltz" and "Iljimae" since making her debut in 2004 through MBC sitcom "Nonstop 5." She then shot to superstardom after starring in "Shining Inheritance" last year which recorded ratings of over 47 percent.

She is currently starring in the historical epic "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown."

Reporter: Cho Bum-ja anju1015@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 27, 2010

TV audiences tune in to ordinary people

In the world of racy dramas and reality shows, two long-running documentary series thrive

26213729.jpg

The story of Um Gi-bong and his mother, which originally appeared on the documentary series “Ingangeukjang,” was the basis for the film “Barefoot Gi Bong” in 2006. [JoongAng Ilbo]

26213751.jpg

In a world where TV dramas are constructed around plot lines involving adultery, violence and secrets, and reality programs show people behaving at their worst, there are two documentary series winning high ratings for producing simple stories about ordinary people. These people are not glamorous and they don’t have movie-star clothes. They have thick wrinkles, worn out T-shirts and tangled hair.

The two programs, “Human Documentary Love” and “Ingangeukjang,” have long been beloved by television viewers in Korea and are celebrating their anniversaries, fifth and 10th respectively, this month. “We have different people on the show every year, but the theme is always the same,” said Jung Sung-hoo, the executive producer of Human Documentary Love, said in a press conference on Tuesday. “As human beings, we can all feel sympathy for other people when we hear these stories. After all, the story might be about you or our neighbors. Hopefully these documentaries will make families think about the precious things in their lives.”

Human Documentary Love first aired in May 2006. The series is broadcast every May, which is Family Month in Korea. The episodes feature stories about families, with a different family featured each week. Previous episodes have featured: a family that had to say goodbye to the father, who was diagnosed with terminal cancer; a family who adopted a disabled boy with no legs; and a woman suffering from osteogenesis imperfecta, a rare genetic bone disease, who risks her life to become a mother.

The fifth season of Human Documentary Love starts tomorrow and will tell the stories of four families.“It’s tough to record the daily lives of ordinary people who are not accustomed to huge cameras,” said producer Kim Hyun-ki. “So it usually takes between five and six months to make a 50-minute documentary.”

One particularly touching story is about Kim Kyung-chung and Ahn Eun-sook, a newly married couple and their three children. When Ahn is diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and is told she only has about a year to live, she chooses to spend more time with her family before she dies, instead of receiving chemotherapy. She goes on family trips and attends her son’s talent show.

Kim Sae-byul, who produced Ahn’s story, talked about the added challenge of trying to stay cool while filming such sad stories. “When Ahn’s condition was deteriorating, I drove up to Seoul and picked up her children so that they could say goodbye to her,” Kim said as she choked back a sob.

26213801.jpg

Four families will be featured as part

of the “Human Documentary Love” series,

including Sung-tan (below), who was found

in the corridor of a small apartment building

in Seoul last Christmas Eve. He has since found

a home with a new family. Provided by MBC

Meanwhile, the weekly series Ingangeukjang (which, loosely translated, means “human story”) has become a television legend for the quality of its storytelling and the compelling characters it chooses to portray. There are five episodes per week, airing Monday through Friday, with the story of one person featured per week.

When the series launched in May 2000, nobody knew it would become this big. It now has an audience share of between 10 and 20 percent, which is amazing considering there are many TV dramas that can only claim an audience share of about 3 or 4 percent, according to Park Jung-jae, an official with KBS’s public relations team.

A total of 1,443 people have been featured on the show over the past 10 years. Seven of the stories have been made into films, including ““Malaton,” the 2005 film about an autistic boy runner, and “Barefoot Gi Bong,” a 2006 film about a mentally challenged boy who takes care of his mother.

The show has also made stars of two of its alumni, including Richard Yongjae O’Neill, a violist, and Sandara Park, now a member of the girl group 2NE1. Before O’Neill, who is a Korean adoptee, gained fame a musician, he appeared on the show in May 2004 looking for his birth mother. Park was shown in the early stages of her career, when she was a virtual unknown in Korea but famous in the Philippines, in an episode that aired in October 2004 in Korea.

Human Documentary Love will air on May 28, June 4, 18 and 25 at 10:55 p.m. on MBC. Ingangeukjang airs throughout the year from Mondays to Fridays at 7:50 a.m. on KBS 2.

By Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.com

May 27, 2010

Official Han Ga-in website open today

2010052709121504188_1.jpg

The official Han Ga-in website [J.One Entertainment]

The official website for Korean actress Han Ga-in opened today, according to her agency J. One Entertainment on Thursday.

J. One announced in a press release that they have created the "Han Ga-in Special Book," (http://www.joneplus.com/hangain) the actress' first official website since her debut. The trailer to Han's new TV series "Bad Boy" is currently posted on the main page of the website and her profile, up-to-date news, still cuts from the series and a 100-word message board for Han and fans are the basic features of the site.

A representative from the content development team at J.One explained, "Han has returned to the small screen and she wanted a way to stay close to her fans so we opened the 'Han Ga-in Special Book.' We will work hard to support her and this website."

"I am really excited about this website. Until now, I've only had sites operated by my fans and this is the first time ever to have an official webpage with my name on it. I hope that with the special book I can become closer to my fans and keep them updated on my life," Han was quoted saying.

Regarding her latest series airing on Wednesday and Thursday nights, the actress said, "Hopefully it [role in 'Bad Boy'] will break the former images [fans have of me] from my commercials. I am working hard and hopefully the audience will enjoy it."

Han, 28, made her debut in 2001 through KBS' drama "Sunshine Hunting." She has starred in several other series including "Yellow Handkerchief" and "Super Rookie." She married fellow actor Yeon Jung-hoon in 2005.

Han is currently playing the role of Moon Jae-in in her latest drama "Bad Boy" alongside actor Kim Nam-gil as Shim Gun-wook. Shim and Moon are characters who dream of climbing the social ladder by wooing the children of a conglomerate family but end up falling in love with each other.

The show began its run on SBS' primetime slot last night, taking off to a moderate start with viewership ratings of 12 percent on TNmS' poll and 11.7 percent on AGB Nielsen Media's survey.

2010052709121504188_2.jpg

The official Han Ga-in website [J.One Entertainment]

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 27, 2010

Chae Rim to appear in Chinese remake of "All About Eve"

2010052709242033145_1.jpg

Korean actress Chae Rim [sidus HQ]

Korean actress Chae Rim will be making a special appearance in a Chinese remake of her hit TV series "All About Eve," according to her agency Sidus HQ on Thursday.

Sidus HQ announced in a press release that the actress will be playing a beautiful and accomplished anchorwoman in the Chinese adaptation of "Eve," a former girlfriend of a male character set to be played by Korean actor Jang Hyuk. The role had not existed in the original Korean drama. "I was so happy to hear about a remake because 'All About Eve' is one of the dramas that I cherish," the 31-year-old actress was quoted as saying. "So I am incredibly glad and happy to appear in it. I think this drama means more to me and feels special because it is based on a Korean drama and stars a Korean actor."

The original version, which starred Chae Rim and top Korean actor Jang Dong-gun, was a smash hit when it aired in Korea a decade ago. For the Chinese remake, Jang Hyuk will play the role of a producer of a broadcasting company who helps those around him while Chinese actress Dan Zhu and Cheryl Yang will be two news reporters who fight for the top position in the company.

Director Mai Da Jie, who will helm the Chinese series, highly praised the Korean actress, saying "She is like a diamond -- she looks adorable and innocent on the outside but has strong, powerful acting skills. I think that is the secret to her huge popularity in Korea and China."

Chae Rim, whose full name is Park Chae-rim, has appeared in more than a dozen television dramas since she debuted in the early 1990s. Some of her best-known works include "KAIST" (SBS, 1999), "All About Eve" (MBC, 2000), "Oh! Pil Seung, Bong Soon Young" (KBS2, 2004) and most recently "Oh! My Lady" (SBS, 2010).

The Chinese adaptation of "All About Eve" is scheduled to air on China's Zhejiang Satellite TV starting September.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Archived