[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

May 18, 2010

Kim Hyun-joong gets into car accident, ok for comeback

Reporter.Park Kun-ouc Editor.Jessica Kim

20100518155341016542493_00000002_1_PA.jpg

SS501 member Kim Hyun-joong [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

SS501 leader Kim Hyun-joong was involved in a car accident last week but he has suffered minor injuries, allowing his group to make their comeback to the local music scene as planned next month, according to their agency on Tuesday.

An official with DSP Media told Asia Economic Daily over the phone that Kim had gotten into the accident on Wednesday when a car he was riding in with an acquaintance collided into another car, leaving the singer with bruises and abrasions which would take two weeks to heal.

The official added however, "Kim's current condition will not affect his group's comeback set for early June," although he is taking caution in rehearsing the choreography for their new song. Accordingly, SS501 will not perform a dance number at the upcoming annual "Dream Concert" on Saturday but "Let Me Be The One," a ballad from the boys' new album and "Just One Day" from their previous album.

SS501 is one of South Korea's most popular bands who debuted in 2005 and have been active in Korea as well as several countries in Asia, releasing numerous albums both as a group and also pursuing individual careers in acting and appearing on variety shows. Kim, 23, made his debut on the small screen in 2009 smash-hit drama "Boys Over Flowers" which also starred Lee Min-ho and Ku Hye-sun. He is said to be in talks to appear in "Athena," the spin-off of famed TV series "IRIS."

Reporter : Park Kun-ouc kun1112@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Kim Hyun-Joong in Car Accident

e100518_01.jpg

DSP Entertainment announced on May 18th that Kim Hyun-joong, frontman of SS501, was involved in a small car accident on the 12th. Kim was in the car with a friend when it happened. Though not too serious, the accident left the singer with some scrapes, bruises, and even minor rib injuries. Consequentially, Kim will be taking it easy for the next two weeks.

The agency did reassure fans that there shouldn't be any problems with the recordings and preparations going on for SS501's comeback album tentatively scheduled for this month -- albeit after a postponement. However, Kim won't be able to perform some of the faster numbers at the Dream Concert 2010 taking place on May 22nd. He will be sticking to a couple of ballads, including "Let Me Be the One" and "Just One Day".

Source: KBS Global

May 19, 2010

SS501’s Kim Hyun Joong Injured in Traffic Accident

Kim Hyun Joong (24), a member of the star idol group SS501, was injured in a recent traffic accident. Kim's agency DSPent said on May 18 that Kim was diagnosed with bruised ribs which will take two weeks to heal completely.

7387_1189_l.jpg

According to a spokesperson of the agency, Kim Hyun Joong had a fender-bender near Jamsil on May 12 while he was driving with his friend. He was diagnosed with bruised ribs and scratches, and received hospital treatment. Due to the injuries, he has decided to showcase his new ballad song entitled “Let Me Be The One” instead of a dance song in his “2010 I Love Korea Dream Concert,” which will be held in Seoul Sangam World Cup Stadium on May 22.

A spokesperson continued, “Actually, SS501 had planned to sing a dance song, the title song of their upcoming new album which will be released at the end of this month, in the “Dream Concert,” but it might be hard for Kim Hyun Joong, who had a car accident recently. So they changed their original plan and decided to sing a ballad song. But there will be no problem for their further activities beginning from next week with their new album.”

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May 18, 2010

KBS "Noodle Road" named best TV documentary in NY

Reporter.Cho Bum-ja Editor.Lynn Kim

2010051814504100787_1.jpg

Official poster for television documentary "Noodle Road" [KBS]

KBS TV's food documentary "Noodle Road" has been named best television documentary at the 69th Peabody Awards, according to major broadcaster KBS on Tuesday.

The six-part documentary series, which aired in the country early last year, won the prestigious Peabody award for its fourth episode titled "Connecting the Kitchens of Asia." Last year, its first episode titled "The Birth of a Brilliant Creation" had also won the prize for best TV documentary at the Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU).

An official at KBS explained that producers Lee Wook-jung and Yeom Ji-seon attended the awards ceremony held Monday in New York City. The winning episode, which aired on February 21, told of the historic journey of Asian noodles and how it has influenced people's appetite around the world.

The producers also linked noodles to the wisdom of Asians, showing viewers how it has become a cultural symbol for Asia, served as a key in cultural exchange between the East and the West and connected kitchens in various regions and environments of Asia.

Founded in 1940, the George Foster Peabody Awards (Peabody Awards) selects winners of radio and television programs in a total of seven categories including broadcast journalism, documentary filmmaking, educational, entertainment and children's programming.

2010051814504100787_2.jpg

Producers Yeom Ji-seon (left) and Lee Wook-jung of TV documentary "Noodle Road" accept their Peabody Award [KBS]

Reporter: Cho Bum-ja anju1015@ Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 18, 2010

[REVIEW] SBS TV series "Coffee House" - Episode 1

Reporter.Choi Ji-Eun Editor.Jessica Kim

2010051818231783328_7.jpg

From left, director Pyo Min-soo, actors Kang Ji-hwan, Park Si-yeon, Ham Eun-jung and Jung Woong-in

of TV series "Coffee House." [photographed by Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

An ounce of romance, another ounce of comedy and three ounces of fantasy are what usually make up a romantic comedy. Thanks to viewers' fantasy that the main character of a drama 'does not have to worry about making a living and has looks good enough to get him by anywhere,' Jin-soo (played by Kang Ji-hwan), a young and good-looking free-spirited best-selling novelist who is so fickle that he will decide not to attend his own book signing event for no particular reason, regards an unproperly sharpened pencil as a more serious issue than a signing contract.

But it seems that "Coffee House" was able to start off as a romantic comedy with slightly more of the comedy and less of the fantasy due to scenarist Song Jae-jung who has penned hit sitcoms such as "Soonpoong Clinic" (SBS) and "High Kick" (MBC). The doormat which makes a noisy sound when stepped on, the incident where Seung-yeon (played by Ham Eun-jung) gets trapped inside a bathroom and the show's character such as the pretty Eun-young (played by Park Si-yeon) who is a workaholic with a short temper, are examples of Song's talent at effectively weaving in sitcom-like elements into a drama.

Unlike Jin-soo who is not just a 'cold-hearted man living in the city' but rather polite on the outside yet a neat freak and almost-perfectionist who rarely expresses how he feels, Seung-yeon's character will need to do more to convince viewers that she is a typical 'cheerful-and-nothing-can-bring-me-down' female character who knows how to do more than just be a nuisance. But the light development of the scenes and cheerful tone are worth giving the show a slightly above average score. In contrary, the overly-zealous narration and mood-killing ending song account for points taken off for the drama. Overall, however, Song Jae-jung seems to have made a relatively refreshing start in his attempt to execute his desire to "cut down on the comedy and do more with the imagery while working on director Pyo Min-soo who wants a much more cheerful story compared to the past."

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun five@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

logoaf.gif

May 19, 2010

"The Housemaid" sweeps up six deals at Cannes

Jessica Kim

2010051909290772756_1.jpg

Poster for fim "The Housemaid" [sidus F&H]

Korean film "The Housemaid" has racked up a string of deals at the ongoing Cannes Film Market, selling to six countries at the event held concurrently with the Cannes Film Festival.

A report by film magazine Screen International on Tuesday said Mirovision, the producer and sales agent for "The Housemaid," sold its Italian rights to Fandango and Australian rights to Madman Entertainment.

Also, AMA Film picked up "The Housemaid" in Greece, Edko Films in Hong Kong, Festive Films in Singapore and M Pictures in Thailand.

The movie had been pre-sold to Pretty Pictures for France in March, ahead of the opening of the film market.

"The Housemaid," a remake of a 1960s classic erotic thriller, stars 2007 Cannes best actress award-winner Jeon Do-youn, Lee Jung-jae and veteran actress Yoon Yeo-jung.

The film, about a young maid who comes to work for a wealthy couple and starts having an affair with the husband, saw the biggest opening for a local film so far this year and has attracted over one million admissions in just six days of its release on May 13.

Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 19, 2010

New Ko Hyeon-jeong, Kwon Sang-woo series to air October 6

Reporter.Ko Jae-wan Editor.Lucia Hong

2010051909512357358_1.jpg

Korean actress Ko Hyeon-jeong [Asia Economic Daily]

A new TV series starring top Korean stars Ko Hyeon-jeong and Kwon Sang-woo is scheduled to begin its run on October 6, according to the drama's production company Lee Kim Productions on Wednesday.

An associate from Lee Kim explained, "The new drama with Ko and Kwon tentatively titled "Big Thing" will join the Wednesday and Thursday night primetime line-up during the latter half of the year," explained an associate from Lee Kim.

"Big," based on the comic book series of the same title by Park In-kwon, is about a first-class gigolo (played by Kwon) who helps a human rights lawyer (Ko) to achieve her dream of becoming Korea's first female president.

"Big" will premiere after a series tentatively titled "The Legendary Fox with Nine Tails is My Girlfriend" ends its run -- the show will start its run in August succeeding action drama "Bad Boy" which will air next week.

Ko made her debut into the entertainment industry as a former Miss Korea in 1989. She is known as one of the top actresses in the country after her role in the hit series "Queen Seon-deok."

Kwon has starred in several dramas and movies since his debut in 2001. He is well-known for his roles in the 2003 TV series "Stairway to Heaven" and Korean films "My Tutor Friend" and most recently "Into Fire."

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

logoaf.gif

May 19, 2010

Hyun Bin film sells to the UK at France

Jessica Kim.

2010051911374351529_1.jpg

Korean actors Hyun Bin (left) and Joo Jin-mo

Korean film "The Battle of Yellow Sea," starring heartthrob Hyun Bin, has been sold to the United Kingdom on the eve of the ongoing Cannes Film Market in France.

"Yellow Sea," directed by famed film director Kwak Kyung-taek, was sold to Showbox for the U.K. at the market held concurrently with the Cannes Film Festival, reported film magazine Screen International on Tuesday.

Joo Jin-mo also stars in the film, a 3D action drama based on the true story of the Second Battle of Yeonpyeong which occurred in June 2002, when a North Korean patrol boat crossed the sea boundary line and engaged in a marine confrontation with South Korea.

"Yellow Sea," to be produced on a 15 billion won budget, is in pre-production stages and will go into shoot starting next month. Hyun Bin, also the current boyfriend of top Korean actress Song Hye-kyo, has been a star in the Asian region since appearing in MBC's smash hit TV series "My Name is Kim Sam-soon in 2005.

Joo Jin-mo, who starred opposite actress Kim Ah-joong in film "200 Pounds Beauty," is set to appear in the Korean remake of John Woo's classic Hong Kong noir film "A Better Tomorrow" this year alongside Hallyu star Song Seung-heon.

Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 19, 2010

"Dong Yi" stays No. 1 show for sixth week

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

2010051908532306842_1.jpg

"Dong Yi-Jewel in the Crown" actress Han Hyo-joo and Lee So-yeon [MBC]

Ratings for historical epic "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" turned to a decline this week but maintained its position at No. 1 on TV charts for the sixth consecutive week.

Figures released by TNS Media Korea revealed that "Dong Yi," into its ninth week of showing, reported an average viewership rating of 25.3 percent on Monday and Tuesday, the figure falling by 1.9 percent from last week's average.

Statistics released by AGB Nielsen Media Research also indicated that the ratings for MBC TV series this week dropped by an average 1.9 from the previous week. The show scored ratings of 25 percent on May 17 and 23.2 percent the following day.

This week's show told the beginning of the bittersweet relationship between Dong Yi (Han Hyo-joo) and Jang Hee-bin (Lee So-yeon). Meanwhile, SBS' new show "Giant," starring Lee Bum-soo and Park Jin-hee, brought in steady ratings between the 11 to 13 percent range on both charts.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

logoaf.gif

May 19, 2010

'Housemaid' Director Delights in Cannes Invitation

2010051958378.jpg

Korean movie director Im Sang-soo’s “The Housemaid” will compete at this year’s Cannes International Film Festival. His second invitation to the festival follows his first in 2005, when his movie “The President’s Last Bang” was screened as part of the event’s Directors` Fortnight.

The director spoke Monday to the Locarno Film Festival’s artistic director Olivier Pere, who introduced Im to Cannes as the general manager of the Directors` Fortnight. Their meeting took place at a café in Hotel Martinez nearby the Palais des Festivals.

Im said, “I had hoped to have a chance to see you again in Cannes,” to which a smiling Pere answered, “It’s my big honor and great pleasure.”

Pere: In 2005, the majority of the panel said you were a great director. “A Good Lawyer’s Wife” made me a big fan of yours. I was really impressed with the mise-en-scene of the movie, which reminded me of classic Hollywood movies of the 1970s.

Im: Back in 2005, my offer to submit “The President’s Last Bang” to the Berlin Film Festival was turned down.

Pere: Everybody makes mistakes. Thanks to the mistake of the Berlin Film Festival, the Cannes Film Festival got you. (Laughter) Movies are selected by judges. At first glance, it appears fair but I believe it’s the right way. That’s why judges at film festivals feel a great sense of responsibility.

Im: I never imagined that “The Housemaid” would be invited to the official competition of the Cannes Film Festival. I got the script in September last year. Shooting took just two months. I was really surprised.

Pere: It’s not surprising at all. It is a natural phenomenon showing the status of Korean movies in the world. The Cannes International Film Festival 2010 will be a great chance for Korean movies. You especially stand at the center of Korean cinema’s popularity. Kim Ki-young’s 1960 film “The Housemaid” was screened at the festival in 2008. Unlike Kim’s movie, which has grotesque features, your movie is a sophisticated work containing biting satire.

Im: I’m not a big fan of Kim. I just know that he was a legendary Korean movie director. That could explain why my version of “The Housemaid” is different from his in detail and expression. While making the movie, I understood that he must’ve been a very attractive person. I want to make a movie on Kim’s life story if given the chance.

Pere: I remember you showed me a script two years ago when you stayed in Paris. What happened to the project? It was really interesting. I could find traces of the script in “The Housemaid.” The gap between rich and poor, class conflict, etc.

Im: I wanted to deal with discrimination in a more erotic way with the Paris project. The project’s a bit different from “The Housemaid.” A French movie studio turned down my offer to make the script into a movie. I’m a bit happy since I got my revenge on the movie studio by being invited to the Cannes. (Laughter)

Pere: Unlike other works submitted to film festivals, “The Housemaid” strongly appeals to the public. You always seem to make a movie while preparing yourself for your next one.

Im: Some people have asked me whether my invitation to Cannes will change me. People’s attitudes toward me have changed, but I won’t.

Pere: It’s a big deal for a director to be invited to the official competition of a film festival. But I feel very relieved to hear you say so. I’ve seen many directors who changed after becoming famous.

Im: I know many directors who make similar movies after winning the Palme d’Or.

Pere: As expected, you’re a very dangerous person. How can you say that in the middle of Cannes? (Laughter) Many directors lose inspiration as they get older. It’s very sad. I hope your strong commitment will be a guardian of your movie world.

Source: donga.com

May 4, 2010

The Housemaid

2010050428028.jpg

Audiences are captivated when Hoon (played by Lee Jung-jae) watches over his housemaid Eun-yi (played by Jeon Do-yeon, right) as she meticulously wipes the bath tub before his bath. This temptation is just the first in the movie "The Housemaid," which will elaborately depict tension in modern social hierarchy through the eyes of Eun-yi.

Remake of 'Housemaid' Not Just About Sex

Actress Jeon Do-yeon, who plays the heroine in the movie “The Housemaid” directed by Im Sang-soo, had no problem undressing for sexually explicit scenes. She has no reservations over doing sex and nudity in her movies. Her male counterpart Lee Jung-jae is also not shy over showing off his muscular physique.

The movie is not just about sex, however. If the Cannes Film Festival listed the movie as one of 19 entries for the official competition, the film must have something to offer other than wild sex scenes. “The Housemaid” is a remake of the 1960 film with the same title directed by Kim Ki-young, who was nicknamed “Monster” by the Korean cinema industry.

The review of Kim`s movie in The Dong-A Ilbo`s edition of Nov. 9, 1960, said, “Based on the real story of a housemaid who killed an infant, the movie has its flaws as fiction with a raw description of mentality and characters that undermine reality. Nevertheless, the director is truly to be lauded for his attempt to get closer to the mentality of people without thinking too much about delivering the story itself.”

The original depicts a middle-class family breaking apart when the man has an affair with the housemaid. It had extreme scenes where the maid kills his son out of jealousy and attempts to commit suicide together with rat poison. It ends abruptly with the message “Don’t cheat on your wife,” then the man wakes up and realizes his experience was just a dream.

In Im's remake 50 years later, things seem more civilized but the director describes what lies behind their perfect manners; intensifying tension among different levels of the modern social hierarchy. They exchange irrational remarks as if they make sense in a densely furnished space allowing room for nothing.

“Mother-in-law, it’s not just your daughter who can give birth to my child.” (Hoon)

“I was waiting for you completely naked.” (Eun-yi)

The remake is far more sexually explicit than the original, but sex is not the focus of the movie. Im`s edition shows more vulgarity than the original. One of the most memorable lines is uttered by a senior housemaid (played by Yoon Yeo-jung). She tells Eun-yi, “The world is sickening, dirty, revolting and cheap, or SDRC for short.”

The headline of the Dong-A review of the original 50 years ago was “Far From Complete, but a Notable Experiment.” Kim’s quirky protégé Im meticulously completed the movie where Kim left off with a refined touch.

[source: donga.com l donga.com

logoaf.gif

May 19, 2010

Original version of "Housemaid" to be re-released

By Kim Hyun

201005191224311128_1.jpg

tn_1274245562_1780477306_0.jpg

SEOUL, May 19 (Yonhap) -- The original 1960 version of "The Housemaid," whose remake is competing for the top Cannes award, will be re-released in local theaters next month, a rarity for a classic film, its distributor said.

The film's remake of the same title, directed by Im Sang-soo and starring Cannes winner Jeon Do-youn, is one of two South Korean movies in official competition at the Cannes Film Festival. The other is Lee Chang-dong's "Poetry."

Mirovision said Kim Ki-young's monumental film will be released in five theaters in Seoul starting June 3, marking the 50th anniversary of his birth. Kim died in a fire accident in 1998. The erotic thriller tells the story of a middle-class family unraveling after a new housemaid comes to the house and gets pregnant.

The original was screened at the 2008 Cannes festival after it was jointly restored by the World Cinema Fund and Korean Film Archive.

Credits: hkim@yna.co.kr yonhapnews.co.kr l nate.com

May 19, 2010

Bae Yong-joon "undecided" in starring in new drama

Reporter.Lim Hye-seon Editor.Lucia Hong

2010051914351022606_1.jpg

Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon [KEYEAST]

Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon has yet to decide whether he will appear in an upcoming drama, according to his agency KEYEAST on Wednesday.

"We haven't heard anything about Bae making an appearance in the new drama 'Dream High.' Nothing has been set yet," a representative from KEYEAST was quoted as saying.

"Dream High," about students attending a school of performing arts, will be relayed through the singing and dancing of the cast.

The show will be produced in collaboration with CJ Media and Holym, a production company established jointly by KEYEAST and JYP Entertainment (JYPE).

Bae, a major shareholder of KEYEAST, will take part in the planning and producing while Park Jin-young, founder and CEO of JYPE, will arrange the music and choreography.

Bae Yong-joon made his debut in the KBS mini-series "Greeting with Love" in 1994. He rose to fame in Korea and throughout Asia after starring in the 2002 hit drama "Winter Sonata" alongside actress Choi Ji-woo.

He has appeared in a numerous other dramas including "Hotelier" and "The Story of the First King's Four Gods" and movies such as "Untold Scandal" and "April Snow."

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon lhsro@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 19, 2010

[REVIEW] TV series "Oh! My Lady" - Final episode

Reporter.Choi Ji-Eun Editor.Lynn Kim

2010051914392948696_1.jpg

A scene from TV series "Oh! My Lady" [sBS]

TV series "Oh! My Lady" - Final episode (SBS TV, 8:50 PM)

Sung Min-woo (played by Choi Si-won) proposed to Yoon Gae-hwa by saying "Please be a mom for Ye-eun," just as viewers had expected. It was predictable because throughout the series, the romance between an arrogant, unmarried top star and a poor but humane divorcee Yoon Gae-hwa (played by Chae Rim) had been developing quickly and faithfully to the "matron becomes a Cinderella" principle, a formula that had peaked in MBC TV series "The Last Scandal of My Life." As viewers could practically picture the ending scene already -- the two characters confessing their feelings for each other which would be ensued with a sweet kiss -- the important issue at hand was how the producers would fill up the hour leading to the ending scene.

The producers of "Oh! My Lady" chose to play out the story in a way that revealed both the show's strength and weakness that had been evident throughout its run. When Yoon Gae-hwa turns down a marriage proposal from Sung Min-woo, saying she has "no plans to marry again because divorce caused too much pain," and later agonizes over her decision, it failed to spark any imagination to the story such as 'things that could happen after marrying a top star.' Yoon Gae-hwa's response only highlighted her concerns in a realistic and serious light, and thus failed to enliven the unique, comedic elements of the drama. In addition, the loose structure of the show was re-confirmed when Sung Min-woo visits Gae-hwa's ex-husband, and demands that he apologize to her. And when Gae-hwa finds out what he did, she is so moved by his actions that they resolve their misunderstandings.

However, there were several scenes that helped the show serve its purpose as a light-hearted drama that makes viewers smile. For example, there is a hilarious scene where Sung Min-woo is too drunk to notice a reporter (played by Kim Kwang-gyu) turning the notebook computer back on to write an interview article. Another notable scene is when Choi Si-won looks so casual and nonchalant as he pours out his affections by saying cheesy lines such as "You are more beautiful than a flower." "Oh! My Lady" was neither too elaborate nor too intense -- that is what saved and, at the same time, killed the show.

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun five@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 19, 2010

Hyun Bin to release single album in Japan

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

20100118173009014802042_00000001_6_PA.jpg

Korean actor Hyun Bin [photograph by Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Korean actor Hyun Bin will release a single album in Japan, according to his agency AM Entertainment on Wednesday. "The actor will be releasing a single album in Japan for his fans," a representative from AM explained, stressing that it "does not mean the start of a singing career."

The rep went on to say the album features two songs that were written specifically for Hyun Bin, which he had already performed in the country during his fan meeting on April 29. She added that a date has yet to be set for the release of the album.

On the same day, Hyun Bin will unveil his video pictorial that was shot in Hawaii to promote his new film tentatively titled "Late Autumn," also starring Chinese actress Wei Tang, which recently wrapped up filming in the U.S.

Hyun Bin, whose real name is Kim Tae-pyung, made his debut in 2003 in the KBS drama "Body Guard" and rose to fame for his role in the hit series "My Name Is Kim Sam-soon" alongside actress Kim Suna.

He starred in other dramas including "The World That They Live In" and "Friend, Our Legend."

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

May 19, 2010

Korean Film "Hanyeo" Draws the Masses

e100519_01.jpg

The Korean movie scene has been fairly quiet these days. They say the sea's extra quiet before the brewing of a storm. Well, in this case, that "storm" has come in the form of the movie "Hanyeo" or "House Maid" starring Jeon Do-hyeon who's arguably the best actress in the country. "Hanyeo" is about a young woman (Jeon) who gets hired as a live-in maid for an incredibly rich family. The man of the house (Lee Jeong-jae) ends up having an affair with the maid which leads to a chain of misfortunate events.

Just six days after hitting local theatres, reports indicated that over 1 million movie-goers have seen the film. Just on the 18th alone, 114,269 people saw "Hanyeo" in theatres bringing the total figure to 1,039,134 people (as of May 19th).

The movie received some favorable reviews at the 63rd Cannes Film Festival and on the day of its premiere in local theatres, 150,000 people rushed to see it for themselves. Related officials expect this coming weekend -- which is a holiday for most people in honor of Buddah's Birthday -- to attract about 2 million viewers.

To be honest, fans and critics at the Cannes Film Festival were split right down the middle. This has been the case for domestic movie-goers as well.

Regardless of each individual's opinion of the film, one thing's for sure: it's raking in the dough at the box offices.

May 20, 2010

Stars no longer shy about premarital sex

But what effect is it having on teens?

19194020.jpg

With an increasing number of celebrity couples,

including actor Jang Dong-gun and actress Ko So-young,

above, announcing that they are pregnant before marriage,

some youth group leaders are concerned about the impact

of the trend on teenagers. [JoongAng Ilbo]

Koreans have long lived under the influence of Confucianism, especially where relations between men and women are concerned. As recently as a couple of decades ago, parents educated their children using the Confucian idea that “a boy and a girl should not sit together after they have reached the age of seven.”

Today, however, the once strictly conservative country is becoming more open-minded about premarital sex. And premarital pregnancy is more often regarded as a social phenomenon rather than a social problem. These days, when a celebrity couple announces they are getting married but admits they are already pregnant, the response they receive from the public is no longer negative and is even trending toward the positive.

But people who work with teenagers are growing increasingly concerned about the potential negative effects of the trend on young people, many of whom want to become celebrities themselves.

According to a survey done by a Web portal for children hosted by Daum Communications (http://kids.daum.net) in March, one in every two students surveyed replied they wanted to become a celebrity in the future.

Jang Dong-gun and Ko So-young are just two in a recent line of celebrities who have married and announced premarital pregnancies. When Jang and Ko married earlier this month, Ko was already five months pregnant. Then there’s Yang Hyun-suk, CEO of YG Entertainment, and Lee Eun-joo, a member of the defunct girl group Swi.T. who is 12 years younger than Yang. Lee recently announced she was four months pregnant and the couple is planning to get married. Meanwhile, the singer Tablo and actress Kang Hye-jung got married last October, but already had a baby on the way. And former S.E.S. member Shoo and basketball player Im Hyo-sung tied the knot in April after announcing Shoo was pregnant. The couple even went on their honeymoon before they were wed.

“Of course no one can point the finger at a celebrity who gets pregnant before marriage. But the social atmosphere in which it is regarded as no big deal is worthy of notice,” said Lee Ji-hwan, 35, head of the Horeb Odaesan Youth Camp Center, a nonprofit organization that programs camps for schools. “And as more and more celebrities announce their premarital pregnancies in a frank manner, it gives teenagers the wrong idea that premarital pregnancy is not a big deal or even that not having a sexual relationship with your boyfriend or a girlfriend is cowardly.”

Kim Hee-seok, a missionary who leads a youth service at Cheongdam Presbyterian Church, would agree. He sees the phenomenon as potentially problematic for teens, whom he believes have not yet formed their own ideas about love and sex. To address the problem, he organized a sex education day for his students.

“About a month ago, one of the students came up to me and said that she could not understand why the church emphasizes the importance of keeping your virginity before marriage,” Kim said. “I believe celebrities are the role models for teenagers today. And naturally, they imitate their role models - both consciously and unconsciously. That’s where the problem starts. Teenagers are at the stage where it’s hard to have healthy ideas about what’s right or wrong. Therefore, the effect of celebrities’ frequent revelations of premarital pregnancy is absolute and fatal.”

By Yim Seung-hye Contributing writer [estyle@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.joins.com

May 20, 2010

Writer pushing buttons on TV, again

Veteran writer Kim Soo-hyun’s goal is to make homosexuality a subject that is no longer taboo

19194128.jpg

Kim Soo-hyun

Homosexuality was once thoroughly dismissed in Korean society, discussed rarely even among friends and certainly not a subject to be treated lightly. In recent years, however, the topic has moved a bit farther out of the closet, with (seemingly and openly) gay characters appearing on the big screen. But television dramas have largely shied away from having an openly gay character, let alone a couple, as the focus of the show.

Enter the new SBS drama, “Beautiful Life,” which is about a doctor named Tae-sub who is in a relationship with Gyeong-su, a photographer. In the show, the attraction between two men is both physical and intellectual. They even consider marriage.

The show is written by Kim Soo-hyun, a veteran soap opera writer with numerous hits to her credit. In bringing the couple out into the open, she is once again proving that she can raise social issues within the context of a family drama and still get good ratings. “I don’t think homosexuality is a choice. Just because something or someone is different, doesn’t give anyone the right to be hostile,” Kim said. “But I expected an uproar from the public.”

Kim’s main goal is to make homosexuality a subject that is no longer taboo. “Although there is the occasional complaint from the broadcasting company, it has still been fairly well received,” Kim said. “I actually thought there would be more objections to it, so I’m writing with a lighter touch.”

Her emphasis is on not the love between two men, but between two people. The main characters are handsome, smart and appealing. “I requested that the actors be two men who looked sharp and would make the perfect pair,” Kim said. “I thought it was a way to eradicate the prejudice and tension that the public may have toward gay couples.”

Kim is known for telling stories about real people. Her scripts depict lively characters, believable plots and the problems that exist in every family. With this formula, she has earned No. 1 ratings throughout her 40-year career. When asked her opinion of “makjang” dramas, which use racy material including sex, betrayal and violence and have become increasingly available to the general viewing audience, she was firm in her response. “Many producers and writers point to the ratings or viewers as reasons why they are popular, but I think they are very irresponsible,” says Kim. “People in the industry have a responsibility to maintain high standards for the viewers, not bring the bar down.”

The secret to writing a successful drama, she says, is in writing not with your brain but with your heart. “All the characters are basically an embodiment of me. I get inside each and every character and write about their lives,” she said. “If this is done only with your head, the characters fail to come to life and viewers don’t want to know any more about them.”

Although Kim’s dramas are popular, she has also been criticized for her overly conservative depictions of the Korean family. The families she writes about are often of the traditional variety, with grandma living with mom, dad and the kids. In response, she said, “Maybe that’s because I write about family life.”

Despite the show’s serious subject matter, Kim worked to keep things light. “I wanted to write a bright and happy script this time. My characters sometimes suffer pratfalls but that’s just to give it a whimsical twist,” she said. “I do worry about my actors though.” Kim keeps in touch with her fans through the social networking Web site Twitter. She now has over 10,000 followers. “I started using it out of curiosity but now I’m addicted,” she said. “One follower shared his painful story about being homosexual and how he was dealing with it.”

Beautiful Life airs Saturdays and Sundays at 10 p.m. on SBS.

By Yang Sung-hee [estyle@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.joins.com

May 20, 2010

[PHOTO] Cast of "Bad Boy" pose at press conference

Photographer.Lee Jin-hyuk Editor.Jessica Kim

Kim Nam-gil and Han Ga-in [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

2010052000344840645_1.jpg

From left, actor Kim Nam-gil and actress Han Ga-in pose during a photo session of a press conference for TV series "Bad Boy" held at SBS' headquarters in Seoul, South Korea on May 19, 2010.

2010052000344840645_2.jpg

Han Ga-in and Kim Jae-wook [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

2010052000334138967_1.jpg

2010052000334138967_2.jpg

Actor Kim Nam-gil poses during a photo session of a press conference for TV series "Bad Boy" held at SBS' headquarters in Seoul, South Korea on May 19, 2010.

2010052000322836232_1.jpg

2010052000322836232_2.jpg

Actress Han Ga-in poses during a photo session of a press conference for TV series "Bad Boy" held at SBS' headquarters in Seoul, South Korea on May 19, 2010.

2010052000301934423_2.jpg

2010052000301934423_1.jpg

Actor Kim Jae-wook poses during a photo session of a press conference for TV series "Bad Boy" held at SBS' headquarters in Seoul, South Korea on May 19, 2010.

2010051923551896865_1.jpg

2010051923551896865_2.jpg

Actress Oh Yeon-su poses during a photo session of a press conference for TV series "Bad Boy" held at SBS' headquarters in Seoul, South Korea on May 19, 2010.

Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr 1 l 2 l 3 l 4 l 5

May 20, 2010

[PREVIEW] SBS TV series "Bad Boy"

Reporter.Choi Ji-Eun Photographer.Lee Jin-hyuk Editor.Jang Kyung-Jin, Jessica Kim

2010052009300152455_1.jpg

From left, SBS TV series cast Kim Jae-wook, Han Ga-in, Kim Nam-gil, Oh Yeon-su and Jung So-min pose during a photo session of a press conference for TV series "Bad Boy" held at the broadcaster's headquarters in Seoul, South Korea on May 19, 2010. [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

SBS Wednesday/Thursday evening drama "Bad Boy"

Scenarist Kim Jae-eun, Lee Do-young, Kim Sung-hee

Producer Lee Hyung-min

Cast Kim Nam-gil (as Shim Gun-wook), Han Ga-in (as Moon Jae-in), Oh Yeon-su (as Hong Tae-ra), Kim Jae-wook (as Hong Tae-sung), Jung So-min (as Hong Monet), Shim Eun-kyung (as Moon Won-in)

In one word A man and woman who each dream of climbing the social ladder, try to woo children of a conglomerate family but end up falling in love with each other although there is more to it than just that.

Premiere Date May 27, 2010, 9:55 PM

During his childhood days, Gun-wook (played by Kim Nam-gil) is mistaken as the successor to Haeshin Group who was abandoned as a baby and starts living the life of his dreams after the family takes him in from an orphanage but a DNA test soon reveals he was lying and is heartlessly kicked out of the house. He who then grows up to be an all-around attractive man -- good-looking with great athletic and linguistic skills -- sets up an elaborate plan through which he approaches Haeshin Group's youngest daughter Hong Monet (played by Jung So-min) to recover the firm 'which was mine.' Tae-ra (played by Oh Yeon-su), Monet's older sister and the pillar of the Haeshin family, ignores and despises such a Gun-wook yet she starts to develop new emotions toward him the more she meets him. Meanwhile, Jae-in (Han Ga-in), who is beautiful and intelligent yet born into an average family, dreams of climbing the social ladder by betting her stakes on Tae-sung (played by Kim Jae-wook), the actual hidden son of Haeshin Group.

Anticipation Quotient

Kim Nam-gil, every girl's dream and Han Ga-in, every guy's dream, come together for the drama: 9

But it is not my dream to see them fall in love with each other: 7

2010052009403233112_2.jpg

Scenes from SBS TV series "Bad Boy" [sBS]

"Bad Boy" is a new production by director Lee Hyung-min, the creator of melodramas such as KBS TV series "I'm Sorry, I Love You" and "The Snow Queen," who is known for his unique sense of style and use of flowing and elegant imagery. It also stands at the center of attention yet is being burdened because it stars actor Kim Nam-gil who was much loved for his character as Bidam in 2009 hit MBC drama "Queen Seondeok" and Han Ga-in who is making a comeback to the screen for the first time in three years. Oh Yeon-su who is expected to show the matured beauty of a middle-aged woman, like she did in MBC's "Sweet Life," and the new image Kim Jae-wook will take on, different from the 'pretty boy' roles he had played so far, are also arousing curiosity.

But like the director's description that the show "is a melodrama but different from my previous melodramas in that it contains a twist, mystery, revenge -- the hidden desires that modern people have," "Bad Boy" catches one's eyes for its attitude which seemingly aims at not only looking into the desires hidden behind love but also at discovering why those desires are existent. That is why the success of this drama will depend on how convincingly it portrays Jae-in, the most frank female character you will have ever seen after Lee Soo-jung (played by Ha Ji-won) in "What Happened in Bali," who stays true to her conventional desires and on how well conveyed the internal emotions are of bad boy Gun-wook who you 'hate the more you miss him.'

Reporter: Choi Ji-Eun five@ Photographer: Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@, Jang Kyung-Jin three@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

2010052000379_0.jpg

Han Ga-in poses at a press event for her new TV drama in Seoul on Wedensday.

2010052000379_1.jpg

From left, Kim Jae-wook, Han Ga-in, Kim Nam-gil, Oh Yeon-soo and Chung So-min

2010052000379_2.jpg

Kim Nam-gil (left) and Oh Yeon-soo

2010052000379_3.jpg

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

May 20, 2010

2010052000377_0.jpg

Actor Zo In-sung takes part in a discussion on military service at Hanbat National University in Daejeon on Wednesday. Zo, who is absolving his military service in the Air Force, serves as a promotional ambassador for the Military Manpower Administration.

2010052000377_1.jpg

logoaf.gif

May 20, 2010

Actor Lee Jeong Jae Plays Marketer in Cannes

Actor Lee Jeong Jae, who took on the role of a homeowner named Hoon in the movie “The Housemaid, 2010,” which has advanced to the competition in the 63rd Cannes Film Festival, visited the film market and drew attention.

7389_1201_l.jpg

Lee visited a booth for Miro Vision, the production company of “The Housemaid,” that was prepared in the film market during the Cannes Film Festival. He exchanged greetings with people nearby and personally introduced the movie to foreign buyers who visited the booth.

Lee Jeong Jae said with a smile, “Is it not good for me if my movie can draw a positive response from foreign buyers in the movie industry? I am very happy to meet overseas buyers who are interested in the movie ‘The Housemaid.’”

Usually, it is a rare case that an actor visits a booth in the film market, so a spokesperson for his agency delivered the news that people in the production company and Pretty Pictures, which is the distributor in France, were surprised to see him and truly appreciated his visit.

The Housemaid' Draws 1 Million Viewers in 6 Days

2010052000723_0.jpg

Im Sang-soo's latest film "The Housemaid," starring Cannes award-winning actress Jeon Do-yeon and Lee Jung-jae, attracted over one million viewers in the first six days of its release.

According to the Korean Film Council on Wednesday, the film drew 123,841 moviegoers on Tuesday alone and topped the box office charts with 1.04 million in total viewers. Its audience on Tuesday was almost double that of the runner-up, Hollywood blockbuster "Robin Hood," which managed to pull in just 62,623 moviegoers.

The Korean film is considered a strong contender to win an award at the Cannes International Film Festival this week.

May 20, 2010

Park Si-hoo named Hallyu ambassador for Chinese TV fest

Reporter.Lynn Kim Editor.Jessica Kim

2010052012412122995_1.jpg

Korean actor Park Si-hoo [Eyagi Entertainment]

Korean actor Park Si-hoo has been named Hallyu ambassador for a television festival in China, according to his agency Eyagi Entertainment on Thursday.

Eyagi announced in a press release that the actor -- as a representative of Korea -- will be attending the "Shanghai TV Festival" to be held June 8 in Shanghai.

The 32-year-old actor has been gaining popularity in the country, thanks to the success of SBS TV series "Princess Prosecutor" where he plays an attractive lawyer, and is reportedly receiving numerous requests for a local fan meeting.

During his Shanghai visit, he is planning to meet his Chinese fans and conduct interviews with the local media.

Park also has several activities to carry out in Korea today and over the weekend.

First, he will be watching the final episode of "Prosecutor," which airs tonight, with fans at Seoul's Gangnam Cinus theater. Then on Friday, he will be inviting Japanese fans to the show's wrap-up party and take part in a fan meeting the following day.

Park, whose real name is Park Pyung-ho, made his debut in 2005 through KBS2 TV series "Delightful Girl Choon Hyang" and has since appeared in several dramas including "Iljimae" (SBS, 2008) and "What Star Did You Come From" (MBC, 2006).

He is currently preparing to hold fan meetings in five Japanese cities.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Archived