[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

[PREVIEW]

Film "WOOCHI"

2010010509505193922_1.jpg

A scene from film "WOOCHI" [Zip Cinema]

"WOOCHI" is the sole Korean movie on the local box office which will be up to par for competition against the recent rush of some of Hollywood's most anticipated films. The collaboration between director Choi Dong-hoon of hit films "The Big Swindle" and "Tazza: The High Rollers" and the cast composed of Gang Dong-won, Kim Yoon-suk and Lim Soo-jung is already enough to catch the eye of the moviegoers. But the plot in which character Woochi (played by Gang Dong-won) comes to life in modern day Korea for the first time in 500 years to fight off his opponent Hwadam (played by Kim Yoon-suk) and other monsters, clearly reveals what "WOOCHI" is aiming for. This 'Korean superhero flick' is a Korean-style blockbuster which creates buzz with its sheer scale, ahead of having to judge how well it has been made. Of course, its size may seem relatively small compared to its competitors but it will be interesting to see how well this movie -- made by a director who has a firm understanding on Korean stars and the mentality of the Korean public -- will fare amongst the crowd of Hollywood blockbusters.

Movie Points: 6

During a press conference for the film on December 14 last year, director Choi had said he "wanted to go with long sequences for this movie from the very start". And like he said, each sequence in "WOOCHI" is paced slow and loose enough to last up to a maximum 30 minutes, unlike with his previous works where he gave the audience space to breathe only by the end of the film with endless sequences of fast cuts. That is the change Choi has undergone but also a choice he made to create a blockbuster which needs to contain many attractions. If "Tazza" is a film which used its fast pace to focus on telling the stories between characters, "WOOCHI" is a film which dedicated more time in showing the action scenes between Woochi and Hwadam. And the comical scenes where Choraengi (played by Yu Hae-jin) exchanges dialogue containing satirical lines with three Taoist wizards adds more fun to the film. It seems that Choi tried to create his own style of action blockbuster which moves on a faster pace yet contains his flavor.

However, problems lie in the content within the long sequences. It is not only the pace of the sequences that move slowly but also the pace of the action scenes which also fail to be diverse. Most of the action scenes are one-on-one combats between Woochi and Hwadam or Woochi and a monster. The scene shown immediately after Woochi comes to life 500 years later is the only scene that draws attention. And despite the appealing plot that Woochi is someone who comes to life in modern day Korea, most of the action scenes take place amongst themselves in 'secluded' locations while most of the scenery is background for Woochi and Choraengi's humorous conversations. In particular, there is an absence of stories explaining the connection between actions scenes. The film explains how Woochi came to be trapped inside a scroll for 500 years and shows his battles with Hwadam, but fails to fill in on other details. There is no foreshadowing of the changes or unexpected developments which occur in the story regarding Woochi, who seems to have too many thoughts for a guru. The film contains funny gags and political satire but they are only fragmentary enjoyment since the story lacks in having a pivot. Of course, the humor, the attractive characters and the acting of the actors which bring out the essence of the characters are excellent. But most of the audience probably had set higher expectations for this film.

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok two@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

01-05-2010

Bae's 'God's Waterdrop' Project Turns Sour

2009122809574267393_1.jpg

Actor Bae Yong-joon gave up on his project of turning a popular Japanese comic series,

"God's Waterdrop," into a drama due to rules restricting the use of real wine brands./

Photo from star money

Top star Bae Yong-Joon has been forced to give up on his project of turning a popular Japanese comic series, ``God's Waterdrop,'' into a drama due to rules restricting the use of real wine brands, officials from his agency said.

The comic book, featuring a renowned wine critic and two men searching for 12 kinds of wine called ``God's disciples,'' recently boosted sales of wine in Korea and had been called a CEO's must-read at one point.

However, the project went bust, as they could not overcome the rules on product placement, which tightly restrict indirect advertising of products such as the use of real wine brands in dramas.

Keyeast, an entertainment company controlled by Bae, has relinquished its right to make the comic into a drama to the Japanese publisher.

``On top of the expired contract we signed in 2008, the key reason for the cancellation of the project is because we were unable to resolve the problems involving indirect ads,'' a Keyeast official said.

On top of production, Bae originally planned to take a leading role in the drama, targeting Asian markets.

It is known that the writers of the comic book are avid fans of the Korean hallyu star

Source : The Korea Times

Bae's series scrapped over regulations

Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon's latest television serial has been scrapped indefinitely due to the production's failure to gain authorization to use the name of a brand of wine, his management company Key East said yesterday.

For the drama to have been successfully developed the production team needed a particular brand of wine to be used on the show to stay faithful to the original source material.

But Bae and camp hit a snag with local advertising regulations which limit the amount of product placement on television shows in Korea.

According to Key East, the television adaptation rights for the property was returned to the Japanese publishing house that released the original comics.

Bae, who holds a major stake in Key East, purchased the rights to the popular Japanese comic book in 2008, which was to be developed as a follow-up to his hugely popular television series "Legend."

Bae is currently involved in the pre-production phase of the ambitious new television series he is producing with K-Pop mogul Park Jin-young titled "Dream High."

The 39-year-old actor has also recently published a travelogue of Korea that he penned himself.

Credits : kws@heraldm.com

Lee Na-young turns man in film "Lady Daddy"

2010010514554609769_1.jpg

From left, actor Kim Ji-suk, child actor Kim Hee-soo, actress Lee Na-young and director Lee Kwang-jae pose

during a photo session of a press conference for film "Lady Daddy" at a Megabox theater in Seoul, South Korea

on January 4, 2009. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

A son you were not even aware of being born comes looking for you one day. Yes, many things change over a decade but what has changed is the gender of the dad. Hence, there was no instantaneous recognition between the two nor a tearful reunion between Ji-hyun (played by Lee Na-young) and his son Yoo-bin (played by Kim Hee-soo). The two start living together but will Ji-hyun be able to keep his secret between his son and boyfriend Joon-suh (played by Kim Ji-suk)?

"Lady Daddy" is romantic comedy film which touches upon as lightly as it possibly can, on the issue of the not-so-light topic of transgenders. The main cast work in harmony with each other -- Lee Na-young who acts the role of a clumsy and soft-hearted dad, Kim Hee-soo as the chic and mature son and Kim Ji-suk who plays a man head over heels in love with his woman, while the excellent comical acting by supporting actors Kim Heung-soo and Kim Hee-won adds extra flavor to the film.

Below are excerpts of the press conference for "Lady Daddy" held at a Megabox theater on Monday attended by the main cast and director Lee Kwang-jae.

2010010516410953008_1.jpg

From left, actor Kim Ji-suk and actress Lee Na-young pose during a photo session of

a press conference for film "Lady Daddy" at a Megabox theater in Seoul, South Korea

on January 4, 2009.

Q: Is there anything you focused on in particular in tell your story about transgenders in the film? It's not easy to portray such a topic with warmth and happiness in a commercial movie like yours.

Lee Kwang-jae (Lee KJ): Rather than focusing on what each character should be like, I wanted to show that people make certain special decisions in their lives and live according to that choice. And I wanted to show that Ji-hyun's decision to become a woman was just one of the many choice's that anyone could make. I wanted to portray this with warmth by basing her story on universal emotions such as love between family members or a man and a woman.

2010010515372024722_2.jpg

Actress Lee Na-young attends a press conference for film

"Lady Daddy" at a Megabox theater in Seoul, South Korea

on January 4, 2009. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: How did you prepare for your role as a woman disguised as a man while playing the part as Ji-hyun's dad?

Lee Na-young (Lee NY): That's what I was worried about the most when I took on the film but it turned out that I was actually fighting against another form of stereotype I had (about men). I had to play the role of a man and a dad so I had thought about how he should sit, cry or shake his leg but I realized I didn't really need to do such things because he was very femininity of his own. I think my sloppiness in trying to portray a dad ended up fitting well with the situation within the movie.

Q: How does it feel having played the role of a man?

Lee NY: It was one of the roles I had always wanted to play so it's a dream come true for me. I received a refreshing shock from Kate Blanchett's role as a man, not a woman in man disguise, in film "I'm Not There".

Q: There is talk that you resemble actors Gang Dong-won or Jang Dong-gun when disguised as a male. How do you feel about this?

Lee NY: I think their fans wouldn't like it if I said I think I look like them. (laugh) I'm more than honored to be told I look like them.

2010010516382128675_1.jpg

Actress Lee Na-young [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: How did you two of you become close having to act the role of son and dad?

Kim Hee-soo (Kim HS): I think we became close while shooting the scene where my character Yoo-bin meets his dad for the first time and they play computer games and assemble an electric toy gun together.

Lee NY: Hee-soo is very cool. (laugh) It was my first time acting with a child actor so it took us some time to become close but we rehearsed our lines together a lot and he became more comfortable around me when I was in disguise as his dad so we were able to become very close while on set.

Q: Kim Ji-suk, you recently displayed your great affection for Lee Na-young during another press conference.

Kim Ji-suk (Kim JS): It's actually my first time meeting Lee since that day so I've been missing her a lot but have also been excited for today. (laugh) My friends or acquaintances made fun of me for using the word 'goddess' in referring to her but I can't help it. It's the truth! No matter what, it's been a great experience working with her and I'm not as close to her as Hee-soo is but I'll keep trying until she likes me as much as she likes him.

Q: But you didn't even have a kissing scene with her and you must feel sad since this will be the last film you worked on before entering the military. If you had a chance to work with Lee again, what sort of story would you want it to be?

Kim JS: Who says this will be the last film I work on before serving for the military? (laugh) It's my personal hope that our movie does well so that we become good friends and Lee will one day come visit me at my base with fried chicken in her hands. I always envied Lee and Hee-soo who would sit together in front of the monitor. I also thought about in which aspects I lack compared to him and I came to the conclusion that I'm not as innocent as him. A guy needs a certain amount of innocence to appeal to a woman. (laugh) I'd definitely be happy to work with Lee again and the next time I do, I want to play the role of a perfect man. I think it'd be fun if she was the one after me in the movie.

2010010516395941766_1.jpg

Actor Kim Ji-suk attends a press conference for film "Lady Daddy"

at a Megabox theater in Seoul, South Korea on January 4, 2009.

[Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: What did you think of Lee dressed as a man?

Kim JS: Of the many thoughts, the first thing that came to mind was that she still looks pretty. Or that her head looks even smaller with shorter hair. And that her mom must've had an easier time giving birth to her since she has such a small head... things like that. And when she played the role of a dad, I thought that I would like to be the wife to a man like her.

Q: What would you do in real life if it turned out that, like in the movie, the woman you love used to be a man?

Kim JS: I actually asked myself the same question numerous times before we went into shooting. How I would feel if what happened to my character, happened to me in real life. I still don't know. But what I thought while filming the movie was that ultimately, what you feel is more important than looks or what you see on the outside. And I don't think it would be bad at all if that person was someone like Lee.

Q: Tell us what you think are the biggest strengths and weaknesses to the actors.

Lee KJ: All three of them were great at becoming their own characters so I think they did well at expressing the essence of the scenario although we didn't go through too many rehearsals or tests. And they're all so good-looking that the camera just loves them. (laugh) I don't think they have any weaknesses.

10: Then tell us what you actors would like to say to the director, or what you hope he improves on.

Kim JS: I'm the type that loses his ground when he fails to communicate well with the director because I'm a newcomer to the screen but I was able to approach him comfortably because he listened to me and accepted everything I said while helping me understand things. I only noticed his shortcoming today -- he is like all other directors are on set -- but this is the first time I've seen him without a hat. I think he looks much better without it. (laugh)

Lee NY: I wanted to express my character with as much genuinity as possible while working on this film so there were times when I would become frustrated or think a lot but I was able to complete this movie because the director stood his ground and persuaded me. I thank him for taking the lead on set with his unique sense of humor and charisma.

Kim HS: Director, I love you.

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun five@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr

01-05-2010

Heroines Line Up for Dramas in 2010

100105_p14_a1.jpg

Lee Da-hae in "The Slave Hunters"

Korean dramas may be famous for their catchy storylines and handsome characters, but there is no doubt that heroines also play a big part in terms of popularity and content.

This year's drama lineup boasts various female characters, following last year's femme fatale Mi-shil from ``The Great Queen Seondeok'' and secret agent Choi Seung-hee from ``Iris.''

Lee Da-hae stars in the new drama ``The Slave Hunters'' as the captive Eon-nyeun who receives a new name, Kim Hae-won, upon rising in social status to the high-rank of ``yangban.''

She falls for fellow yangban-turned-slave-hunter Dae-gil, played by actor Jang Hyuk, but things take a turn when she befriends Song Tae-ha, played by Oh Ji-ho, the slave Dae-gil is pursuing.

The 25-year-old actress, along with the cast and producers, has a lot of weight on her shoulders, as the new drama follows the trail of the successful ``Iris.''

`` I do hope that we will be able to continue the popularity and interest `Iris' enjoyed,'' Lee said during a press conference last year.

Lee has been in a number of successful dramas, but only time will tell whether the drama will succeed. She dropped out of ``East of Eden,'' the drama that aired in 2008, leaving after a couple of episodes, saying that she did not understand her character. ``The Slave Hunters'' will air every Wednesday and Thursday at 10 p.m on KBS.

100105_p14_a2.jpg

Actress Han Go-eun, 34, will journey back in time as the partner of Choi Guk-sun, a member of one of the noblest families in Korea, played by Cha In-pyo, in the drama ``The Reputable Family.''

Han's character, Han Dan-yi, teaches Cha's character about the world of business. Although the two have feelings for each other, they hide them and work together to bring the Choi family back to its glory days.

``I was drawn to the fact that she was a woman who worked her way through the difficult time when there were so many social restrictions for women,'' Han said at a press conference last year.

The 16-episode soap airs every weekend at 9:40 p.m. on KBS.

100105_p14_a3.jpg

Meanwhile, model-turned-actress Bae Doo-na will appear as a high school English teacher in the new soap ``Master of Study'' airing every Mondays and Tuesdays at 9:55 p.m.

The 30-year-old will portray Han Soo-jeong, a warm and na?ve character initially bullied by the headstrong students.

``I was given English phrases and I had to come up with a lecture myself,'' Bae said during a press conference last year, adding that her favorite subject during high school was in fact English.

``I think we will be able to get 30 percent in ratings,'' Bae said, smiling. ``We're dreaming big.''

Bae, one of the most successful model-turned-actresses in the business, recently won an award for best actress for her role in the Japanese film ``Air Doll'' at the Japan Academy Awards last year.

100105_p14_a4.jpg

Meanwhile, fellow actress Kong Hyo-jin returns as an aspiring chef, Seo Yoo-gyeong, in the television series ``Pasta.''

``Seo is cute and adorable, someone you could find in real life,'' she said during an interview with the broadcaster MBC. This is Kong's first drama in three years.

Kong is famous for her strong-willed characters who endure hardships and finally reach their goals, and this time, she will move into the busy kitchen as an aspiring chef.

``Pasta'' airs every Mondays and Tuesdays at 9:55 p.m., competing with fellow dramas ``Jejungwon The Hospital'' and ``Master of Study.''

``It's not common to have such anticipated works from different networks airing on the same day, but I hope we will be able to continue the successful streak of culinary dramas,'' she said.

100105_p14_a5.jpg

Last but not least, Han Hye-jin appears in the medical drama ``Jejungwon The Hospital'' on SBS. The actress shot to stardom thanks to the period drama ``Prince of the Legend'' (MBC), but failed to garner fans with more modern works, including her most recent television series ``Terroir'' (SBS).

``To be honest, I'm actually scared of period dramas and I know I'm not very good at them. I was given many roles in such dramas, but my fear stopped me. But now as I get older and especially after I failed with `Terroir,' I started to tell myself to be confident and just go for it,'' she said.

The drama started airing Monday, and although it was hard to grasp her character's persona through one airing, the actress seemed comfortable and confident acting as the smart and passionate doctor-to-be. The soap airs every Monday and Tuesday at 9:55 p.m.

Credits : Han Sang-hee, Staff Reporter (sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr)

"Oldboy" selected top 100 films of the decade by The Guardian

2010010517045351425_1.jpg

Movie poster for Korean film "Old Boy" [show East]

Korean film "Oldboy" has been selected as one of the top 100 films of the past decade -- from the year 2000 thru 2009 -- by U.K. daily newspaper The Guardian.

The Park Chan-wook-helmed pic was ranked at No. 38 on the "100 best films of the noughties" list by the Guardian. The top three movies on the list were "There Will Be Blood" (2007, starring Daniel Day-Lewis), "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan" (2006, starring Sacha Baron Cohen) and "Mulholland Drive" (2001, directed by David Lynch).

"Oldboy", which stars Korean actors Choi Min-sik and Yoo Ji-tae, is about a man who is locked in a hotel room for 15 years without knowing why. He plots revenge upon his release and finds himself trapped in conspiracy, violence and falling in love with an attractive young chef.

The movie has received high praises from critics since its release in 2003 and won the Grand Prix at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival.

Other Asian movies on the list were; Taiwan's "What Time Is It There?" (at No. 19, directed by Ming-liang Tsai), "One and a Two" (No. 22, Edward Yang), Japanese animation "Spirited Away" (No. 41, Hayao Miyazaki) and the Academy Award-winning film "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (No. 45, Ang Lee).

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Bae Soo-bin joins cast of drama "Dong Yi"

2010010517135395818_1.jpg

Actor Bae Soo-bin [sBS]

Actor Bae Soo-bin has decided to join the cast of a historial drama by famed producer Lee Byung-hoon of hit TV series “Jewel in the Palace" and “Isan," according to Bae's agency BH Entertainment on Tuesday.

BH explained that Bae, 33, will play the role of a swordsman who dedicates his life to protecting his love Dong Yi, played by actress Han Hyo-joo, in the TV series also tentatively titled "Dong Yi" in English.

The drama will be about the life of Dong Yi who grows up to become Choi Suk-bin, a consort of King Sukjong and the mother of King Youngjo during the Joseon Dynasty. Hallyu star Ji Jin-hee has been tapped to play the role of King Sukjong.

This will be Bae's second time working with Han -- they became two of the most sought-after actors and actresses in the entertainment industry for their role in drama "Shining Inheritance" earlier last year which ended its run with a 41.7 percent rating.

Bae's most recent drama "Temptation of an Angel" which ended in December also saw a successful run, with its ratings surpassing the 20 percent mark.

He will soon undergo training in swordsmanship for the drama set to go into shoot starting later this month.

Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

[PREVIEW]

KBS TV series "God of Study"

- The path to good schools can be found in a television drama

2010010512382125433_1.jpg

The cast of KBS2 TV drama "God of Study" [KBS2]

KBS2 TV - Monday/Tuesday evening drama "God of Study"

Written by Yoon Kyung-ah / Directed by Yoo Hyun-ki

Cast : Kim Soo-ro (as Kang Suk-ho), Bae Doo-na (as Han Soo-jung), Song Yoon-ah (as Jang Ma-ri), Yoo Seung-ho (as Hwang Baek-hyun), Go Ah-sung (as Gil Pul-ip), Lee Hyun-woo (as Hong Chan-doo), Ji-yeon (as Na Hyun-jung) and Lee Chan-ho (as Oh Bong-goo)

In brief : A biker-turned-lawyer whose life changed when he entered college attempts to teach a group of five rebellious students and help them get into the most prestigious college in Korea.

Premiere date : January 4, 2010 at 9:55 P.M.

How does one truly educate another person in this miserable world which only remembers who No. 1 is? By teaching them how not to become influenced by the dirtiness or how to win over the dirty rules? From what has been revealed at the press conference, held at Seoul Palace Hotel on December 29, "God of Study" appears to be a drama that puts more weight on the latter method. When lawyer Kang Suk-ho (played by Kim Soo-ro) is put in charge of the liquidating Byung Moon High School, he sees his own troubled past in the problematic students who live their lives with no dreams. He then offers to teach them and proclaims that he will get five students accepted into Cheonha University, the most prestigious college in the country. Everyone -- including the teachers, students and the school's chairman of the board Jang Ma-ri (played by Oh Yoon-ah) -- calls him crazy and English teacher Han soo-jung, who believes that the purpose of education is not about getting into a good college, treats him as if he is shallow. But he establishes a special class for the five problematic students, including Hwang Baek-hyun (played by Yoo Seung-ho), to help them prepare for Cheonha University. It is hard to empathize with the plot -- which is about taking on the challenge of getting into the top school just to get back at the credential-obsessed society -- even if it was actually based on the Japanese comic "Dragon Sakura". But actor Kim Soo-ro, who played a humanistic teacher in the film "Our School E.T.", and yet plays the completely opposite role of Kang Suk-ho in "God of Study", says that "both methods are correct. Kang Suk-ho's method is appropriate for the children in the drama, who want to prove themselves by getting into a good school." He expressed that the show is not about the obvious cliche -- that high school seniors must study for college.

Anticipation Quotient (1-10 points)

The drama stars both Yoo Seung-ho and Lee Hyun-woo.

Need we say more? 8 points

2010010512382125433_2.jpg

Scenes from "God of Study" [KBS2]

The footage revealed at the press conference was mostly edited to show how Kang Suk-ho came to take on the Special Class at Byung Moon High school. But the drama's biggest appeal is the glamorous traits of the Special Class students; the undeniably talented Yoo Seung-ho plays the rebel Hwang Baek-hyun; Lee Hyun-woo, who captured the hearts of older female viewers as Kim Yoo-shin in MBC's "Queen Seon-deok", plays the aspiring idol group singer Hong Chan-doo; and Go Ah-sung from the film "Host" plays Gil Pul-ip, a determined girl who works hard for a better, brighter future. Like Kim Soo-ro said, "I befriended the kids first because they are so handsome and so pretty," this dream team of teenage actors have great looks and certified acting chops. And the fact that they appear in all sixteen episodes as youngsters is enough to stimulate the anticipating hearts of older female and male viewers.

Reporter : Wee Geun-woo eight@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr, Jang Kyung-Jin three@10asia.co.kr

01-05-2010

Actor Song Il-gook Sheds 15kg for New Drama

100105_pm_song(1).jpg

Top actor Song Il-gook has lost 15kg for his new drama, according to press reports.

He has been building up his body before the shooting of a new MBC special weekend drama, ``A Man Called to Be a God.'' He was well known for having a robust body ― 185cm in height and 90kg in weight. However, he is now down to 75kg.

Drama production officials said the main character of this drama is originally fast and fit, and Song was trying to make himself look the part.

He has been eating less food and exercising to keep fit. He is focusing on aerobic exercises instead of weight training.

``His arms and legs are longer than normal people due to his tall height. His clothes for this drama are going to be separately tailored,'' a drama production official said. ``This drama is showing a modern hero instead of the traditional ones of past dramas. Song is already adjusting himself well to the character.''

The new MBC drama was inspired by a cartoon created by Park Bong-sung and will air in March.

Bae Yong-joon's new wine drama gets cancelled

2010010610070228137_1.jpg

Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon [Asia Economic Daily]

Hallyu star Bae Yong Joon's much-hyped drama adaptation of famed Japanese comic "Waterdrops of God" has cancelled production, according to his agency KEYEAST. 

KEYEAST, where Bae is one of the major shareholders, explained yesterday that they "had no choice but to cancel production of the TV series because it seemed difficult to produce the show with the current product placement (PPL) market conditions in Korea."

The main reason for cancellation appears to have been Korea's strict regulations regarding PPL in television dramas. According to current regulations, specific wine brands and product names are prohibited from showing on network TV. This creates a problem in delivering the story since all the wines that appear in the original comics are authentic.

Bae and his agency had drawn much publicity in 2008 after obtaining the rights to produce the drama written by Agi Tadashi. KEYEAST had been planning to produce the drama with Bae playing the lead role.

The 37-year-old actor is reportedly seeking out his next project since "Waterdrops" has been cancelled.

Bae has starred in many television dramas and several films, most recently in MBC's "The Story of the First King's Four Gods" in 2007. He is best known for the 2002 hit TV series "Winter Sonata" which turned him and his co-star Choi Ji-woo into Hallyu stars.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr

Gang Dong-won says envies Song Kang-ho's animal instincts

2010010612350875718_1.jpg

A former South Korean intelligence agency official and a North Korean spy sent to South Korea. In most films, such a setting would end as a tragedy or result in a clash of ideologies as was the case in films "Swiri" or "Joint Security Area (JSA)". These characters, who have been trained for the good of their country, will confront each other brutally or will have to face numerous conspiracies as was the case with the NSS agents in KBS TV series "Iris". But "Secret Reunion" is a film which seems to be set on providing a new form of enjoyment through its characters. Unlike its poster showing a resolutely determined Song Kang-ho and Gang Dong-won, a preview video revealed at a press conference for the film on Tuesday at the Plaza Hotel drew frequent bursts of laughter from the audience.

Lee Han-gyu (played by Song) who looks better as the owner of a detective agency than the national intelligence service from which he has been expelled, and North Korean spy Song Ji-won (played by Gang) who still flaunts his outstanding looks on screen despite the director's efforts to do his best to "make him not look like a model", start living together for different purposes. Lee employes Song to win a prize money given for catching spies and Song starts working at Lee's agency to make money to return to the North. Each character, both of whom have been ousted by their organizations, will try to use the other as a tool to reclaim their original positions but the wall between them starts collapsing. "Secret Reunion," which focused on the individual changes the two characters go through regardless of their different ideologies, is set for release on February 4. Below are excerpts from the press conference attended by Song, Gang and director Jung.

2010010612350875718_2.jpg

Actor Song Kang-ho [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Q: What sort of film is "Secret Reunion"?

Jang Hun (Jang): A South Korean man in the National Intelligence Service meets with a North Korean man sent to the South as a spy. The film is about the two men who start out as enemies but change after seeing the humane sides to each other while living together.

Q: I'm curious to know why you took on this film which is Jang Hun's second only directorial pic.

Song Kang-ho (Song): I was surprised at how great of a movie he had made on such a small budget for "Rough Cut". I took on this film because I was deeply impressed by his directing skills where he expresses everything he wants to while not revealing his own sense of identity which new directors usually have a hard time concealing.

Q: Your image as actors are very different -- as different as your characters Lee Kyu-han and Song Ji-won in the film. How was it working with each other?

Song: I think Gang Dong-won is the most dazzling actor around right now. I had always thought he's a charming younger actor so I had been curious to find out what his personality was like. After working with him I found out he is sincere in many ways and quite unexpectedly, has a strong passion for his work. He smiles a lot too. So I think in those ways, he is very different how you see him on the outside. He was great in "WOOCHI" but you'll see a completely contrasting type of attractiveness in "Secret Reunion". I think this year will be his year. (laugh)

Gang Dong-won (Gang): I was very scared of Song. Not his personality but because he is such a great actor. (laugh) There were times when I would think he is terrifying. I've said this to director Jang before but Song is like a monster. He responds with animal-like instincts when he's acting which was very scary but also so great. I really learned a lot from him.

Q: Both Kim Yoon-suk from "WOOCHI" and Song are actors who drink a lot while working on films. Who made you drink more?

Gang: They are definitely not people who force you to drink. We drank about seven times a week while filming "Secret Reunion" (laugh) although never a lot. We would just talk a lot over a couple of drinks. Kim Yoon-suk would join us occasionally if I and Song were out drinking in Itaewon.

Song: Gang is young so he drinks pretty well. But he doesn't drink hardcore -- he just lasts for a long time. We usually get done early but he'll beg that we go for another round elsewhere. (laugh) But we're nothing compared to the cast and crew of "WOOCHI". They're heavy drinkers. I think Gang got trained there. (laugh)

2010010610450977781_1.jpg

Actor Gang Dong-won [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Q: You worked consecutively with South Korea's greatest actors Kim Yoon-suk and Song Kang-ho. What were the similarities or differences you felt while acting with them?

Gang: I don't think I'm in the position to comment on that... (laugh) But I did feel this with both of them -- that I felt more comfortable when I actually go into shoot with them. I think it's because I got the feeling that they were telling me, 'Do whatever and everything you want. I can deal with it."

2010010610450977781_2.jpg

We heard that you have plans to enter the military this year. Will "Secret Reunion" be the last film you work on before you do?

Gang: I have plans for another movie after "Secret Reunion" is released but I can't talk about it yet.

Q: In your previous film "Rough Cut," you were evident in showing the contrast between So Ji-sub and Kang Ji-hwan's characters image-wise by using different colors -- black and white -- to portray them. Did you use such techniques in this film too?

Jang: "Rough Cut" wasn't based on realistic, daily life so I set the characters apart visually by using those contrasting colors. But I wanted to give "Secret Reunion" the feeling that it's something happening around us in everyday life. That's why visually, the two characters don't seem too different. Although in Gang's case, I put in extra effort to make sure that he doesn't look like a model.

Q: Your previous film was also about two completely different men becoming like each other as they get to know more about the other person. "Secret Reunion" is also about two men. Is there a reason you keep going with the same format?

Jang: I just somehow ended up telling a story about two men again. It's not that I'm into plots involving two men -- I took on this film because the scenario was fun. I want to work with an actress next time. (laugh)

2010010612350875718_4.jpg

Director Jung Hun [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Q: You worked with Song and Gang who are different in terms of both acting and star quality. How was it?

Jang: I didn't know I would get to work with them for the second film. But it was easier than I had expected to cast them. They both enjoyed reading the scenario so I got lucky in getting to work with them. And while in filming, I discovered aspects to them that were different from the thoughts I originally had of them. I had thought that Song was someone who had a humane, familiar and funny appeal to him but he turned out to be extremely intellectual when it comes to working on a film. And Gang is so good-looking and seemingly quiet so I thought it would be hard to communicate with him but it turned out that he talks a lot. (laugh) He said he became more talkative after shooting "WOOCHI" so thanks to that, I think I had an easier time working with him.

Q: If you could take away a strength from the other actor, what would it be?

Gang: Song's terrifying animal instincts? (laugh)

Song: I want to say looks (laugh) but there is something more attractive to him than that. Should I call it Gang's romantic sense of humor or values? I had never expected to see such sides to him but they are beautiful sides to him I discovered while working on this film with him. It's not easy to be a actor with such thoughts or values. I was very happy to see that he is someone who lives hard-heartedly and fiercely but also stands his ground.

Q: Any last words for the audience who will watch your film?

Jang: "Secret Reunion" is based on North and South Korea's relationship but it's not a serious movie. Whether the character is from the North or the South, the story is about their humane sides so I hope you focus on that and have fun watching it.

Song: I think this film will be a admirable film which will provide another form of enjoyment to the large number of Gang's fans. (laugh) We hope you like it.

Gang: "Secret Reunion" is a film which contains a variety of entertaining elements. I think it'll be fun if you focus on that since Song put on some great acting again. (laugh)

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@10asia.co.kr

Jang explores machismo in 'Secret Reunion'

After scoring both a critical and box office hit with the low-budget 2008 sleeper "Rough Cut," writer-director Jang Hoon is back with his sophomore effort, "Secret Reunion."

2010010610541458217_2.jpg

Actor Song Kang-ho, director Jung Hun and actor Gang Dong-won

[photo credit : Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

With his two leading men in tow -- veteran actor Song Gang-ho and heartthrob Kang Dong-won -- he unveiled the film at a press conference in downtown central Seoul Tuesday.

"Jang is all about bravura filmmaking," Song said.

"I didn't have much prep time before the cameras started rolling on this project but because Jang Hoon was so adept at getting me to understand my character, we were able to wrap production without a hitch," Kang quickly added

Like in his debut, "Secret Reunion" is a film headlined by a tandem act that represents Song's yin to Kang's yang.

Kang, loved by legions of adolescent teenaged girls, confessed during the news conference he had been intimidated even before he shared screen time with the vaunted Song.

"Because of an overlapping schedule, I was busy filming 'Jeon Woo Chi' in the early phases of filming for this project," Kang said.

"I didn't see much of Song Gang-ho at first but through many lunch breaks, I got to know him better the more I had conversations with him and I learned so much from him," he said. "He and our director were like feral animals ... I'm not saying Song's personality was scary, it's just that he was so good I felt this is someone you don't want to mess with."

Whenever possible, the two leading men went out for drinks to break the ice, Song said.

"They didn't force anything on me," Kang said.

"We went out for drinks every day of the week in the initial stage of the production and that got us closer together."

Song joked in response, a sly grin on his face.

"If you drink with Kang, you're dead. During production whenever we went out to a get a few, we wanted to be done by ilcha (first round) but Kang kept wanting to keep drinking going to icha (second round) and samcha (third round)."

In "Secret Reunion" Jang's latest continues his fascination with the dynamics of machismo and tells the story of a disgraced Korean intelligence agent (Song) and a North Korean spy (Kang) who meet again coincidentally, six years after a shooting incident they had been involved in.

Unable to shake their need for closure, they continue where they left off and resume their cat and mouse game.

The 34-year old Jang has been on the radars of industry insiders since his debut in "Rough Cut."

The film, made on a shoe-string budget, amassed a respectable 1.3 million in ticket sales.

Many also believed he successfully brought out the inner thespian in So Ji-sub and Kang Ji-hwan -- who up until then were not known for their acting chops.

Jang has since been on the fast track.

His latest film hits theaters nationwide Feb. 4.

Credits : Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

Hyun Bin to visit Japan tomorrow

2010010617024841288_1.jpg

Actor Hyun Bin [AM Entertainment]

Hallyu star Hyun Bin will visit Japan tomorrow by invitation of Japan's Fuji TV, according to the actor's agency AM Entertainment on Wednesday.

AM explained that Fuji TV had invited Hyun Bin to Japan in time with two of his dramas airing on the broadcaster's channels starting this month.

His 2005 hit MBC TV series "My Name is Kim Sam-soon" is set to air every afternoon on Fuji's public network starting January 11 as part of its newly established 'Hallyuα' project while his drama "Friend, Our Legend" from last year will show on BS Fuji, Fuji TV's digital satellite broadcasting station, on January 17.

An official at Fuji TV was quoted as saying that it is rare for two shows of a single actor to air at the same time, adding that Hyun Bin will reignite the Hallyu, or Korean Wave, in Japan this year.

Hyun Bin, who debuted in 2003, rose to stardom with "My Name Is Kim Sam-soon". He most recently appeared in film "I Am Happy" and has started filming "Manchu," a remake of a Korean film of the same name, alongside Chinese actress Tang Wei.

He made headlines last year after admitting to dating top Korean actress Song Hye-kyo, his co-star in last year's TV series "The World That They Live In."

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon lhsro@asiae.co.kr

Jun Ji-hyun to appear in new film with Zhang Ziyi

2010010616160443332_1.jpg

Korean actress Jun Ji-hyun [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actress Jun Ji-hyun is set to appear alongside Chinese movie star Zhang Ziyi in a new film by Wayne Wang, according to her agency Sidus HQ on Wednesday.

The film, titled "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan", will be based on the 2005 novel of the same title by Chinese-American writer Lisa See.

Set in 19th century China, the film chronicles the lives of two women -- Lily and Snow Flower -- and their intimate lifelong friendship. Chinese actress Zhang Ziyi is set to play the main character Snow Flower while Jun's role in the film has not been decided as of yet.

Wanye Wang, a Chinese-American filmmaker, has directed several notable movies such as "The Joy Luck Club" (1993), "Maid in Manhattan" (2002) and "Smoke (1995)", for which he won the Silver Bear award at Berlin International Film Festival.

Jun Ji-hyun, whose English name is Gianna Jun, is one of the most sought-after actresses in Korea. She became a household name after starring in the 2001 hit film "My Sassy Girl" which spawned a Hollywood remake. She made her international debut last year in the film "Blood: The Last Vampire".

The actress is currently in China to prepare to go into shoot.

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon lhsro@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved

Yoon Sang-hyun considering new season of "Family Outing"

2010010615194009013_1.jpg

Korean actor Yoon Sang-hyun [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Yoon Sang-hyun is reportedly considering to appear in the new season of variety show "Family Outing", according to his agency MGB Entertainment.

An official at MGB told Asia Economic Daily over the phone Tuesday that Yoon has been asked to appear on the show's second season, but also explained that they were "baffled the news had been printed in the media".

"Yoon Sang-hyun is scheduled to work in Japan and looking into new projects so nothing has been set," the official said. "But he is discussing the matter on a positive note."

The entire cast from the first season of "Family", including the show's host Yoo Jae-seok and singer Lee Hyori, are set to leave the show.

Producers of "Family Outing", one of the most popular variety programs in Korea since its premiere in June 2008, announced yesterday that they will be ending the show's first season run with shooting of the final episode to take place on January 11.

The "reality-based" variety show has been suffering from controversy and declining ratings after one of the show's scripts were leaked on the Internet early last year. Fans became outraged when they found that the show was not "real" with many of the remarks and responses by the cast members pre-scripted.

Yoon debuted in 2005 in the SBS TV series "Marrying a Millionaire". He rose to fame last year after starring in the smash hit drama "Queen of Housewives" alongside actress Kim Nam-joo and followed it up with "My Fair Lady", which co-starred Yoon Eun-hye.

The 36-year-old actor won the First Prize acting title at the year-end MBC Acting Awards last week.

Reporter : Park Kun-ouc kun1112@asiae.co.kr

2010/01/06

(Yonhap Interview)

Director calls detachment, void keys to Sundance entries 

SEOUL, Jan. 6 (Yonhap) -- Director Lim Woo-seong has what people might refer to as an "accurate hunch" when it comes to the filmmaking profession. What he couldn't have foreseen was his debut film going all the way to the Sundance Film Festival, the largest and most respected independent cinema fete in the United States.

"It's a huge honor just to be invited," the 39-year-old filmmaker said in an interview with Yonhap News Agency. "It would be avaricious of me to hope for a win."

20100106114239_bodyfile.jpg

director Lim Woo-seong

Lim's first feature, "Vegetarian," will be competing among 13 other films at the Sundance's World Cinema Dramatic Competition later this month. The highbrow drama that blends the themes of sexual desire, artistry and psychology, is the only local film to have won a spot in the upcoming film fest among some 1,022 entries.

After competing in the 26th Sundance Film Festival, which will run for 10 days from Jan. 21 in the southwestern state of Utah, "Vegetarian" will hit local theaters around mid-February.

"While some Korean viewers said the film was difficult to understand, overseas audiences appear to be more at ease with the detachment and indifference I try to maintain with the characters," Lim said. "I try not to explain too much or force emotion. This was an easier task with this movie because I empathized with not one, but all the characters."

Based on Korean writer Han Gang's novel, "Vegetarian" was lauded for "exquisitely combining art with sexual desire, walking a tightrope between morality and artistry" after its premiere at Korea's Pusan International Film Festival last fall.

Lim recalled that his first encounter with the story was like "destiny."

"I asked to meet the author the day after reading her story in 2005. I had a hunch for it despite the obvious difficulty of adapting the complicated story for a motion picture," he said. "But I was lucky. I had the author's full support and trust, and financial backing from the Korean Film Council."

Selected among five films that received 300 million won (US$263,000) in support from the state-run film agency in 2008, Lim immediately began work on the movie, with shooting taking just one month.

While writing the scenario and weaving together the overall structure was difficult, the actual filming went smoothly with actors and actresses "putting in their full effort," Lim said.

Chae Min-seo, who played the film's main character, came to the set after losing eight kilograms in a month to become the young woman who grows increasingly gaunt after cutting meat out of her diet.

"With actors and actresses at their best performance, the shooting worked out like magic," the director said.

"Vegetarian" tells the story of a young artist who becomes obsessed with the desire to physically possess his sister-in-law (played by Chae), who stops eating meat after experiencing strange dreams. By painting her thin body with flowers, he gives full expression to his artistic impulses while also fulfilling his sexual and carnivorous desires.

Being a vegetarian is not only about rejecting meat, but about all human desire, Lim explained.

"I worked on the story for four years, so I was able to understand each and every character very well," he said. "Art is not something that can be explained in the category of logic or morality, so I understood the artist's desire, but also empathized with his wife torn between anger toward her husband and sympathy for her younger sibling."

Lim, who studied at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California, is currently adding the final touches to his second feature "Scar," also based on middle length story by novelist Han Gang.

"I am very much interested in visualizing well-written stories. I think doing this is one of the roles given to filmmakers," Lim said. "'Scar' features a married couple dealing with the emotional and physical wounds that become a source of tension between them."

Lim, who called himself a "devoted film buff," named Taiwanese director Ang Lee as one of his favorite directors.

"I am always astounded by his ability to create the best work while crossing so many different genres," he said. "I saw his 'Lust, Caution' several times."

"Last year flew by while making two films," he added. "I am currently developing a scenario and a few other items I have in mind."

Credits : Shin Hae-in (hayney@yna.co.kr)

Source : Yonhap News

"Family Outing" to shoot final episode next week

2010010613535522439_1.jpg

Scenes from variety show "Family Outing" [sBS]

Producers of SBS variety show "Family Outing" have announced that they will close the show, with shooting of the final episode set to take place on January 11.

The producers explained on Tuesday that they "chose to bid farewell" and that former regulars on the show -- such as Lee Cheon-hee, Park Ye-jin and Park Shi-yeon -- will be joining the final shoot.

"The producers and Family [cast] members will do their best to the end, as we have always done," the show's creators were quoted as saying. "We thank our viewers for their overwhelming love and we ask for your continued support for the Family members."

They also asked that viewers look forward to a new season of the show.

"Family Outing", hosted by Yoo Jae-seok, was one of the most popular variety shows in Korea since its premiere in June 2008. With many Korean celebrities -- including singer Lee Hyori and Big Bang member Daesung -- regularly appearing on the show, "Family" had recorded viewership ratings of over 30 percent.

However, the "reality-based" variety show sparked controversy last year when one of the scripts was leaked on the Internet. Fans were outraged when they found that the show was not "real" as many of the remarks and responses by the cast members had been pre-scripted. The ratings for the show had been declining ever since.

Reporter : Park Kun-ouc kun1112@asiae.co.kr

Actors save lives on set of TV series "Jejungwon"

SBS TV series "Jejungwon" is set during the latter era of the Joseon Dynasty -- a time period never before handled in a Korean drama. It also revolves around Jejungwon which is the first hospital in South Korea's history to use Western medicine. These elements topped with the collaboration of its scenarist Lee Ki-won, writer of MBC's hit medical series "White Tower," and producer Hong Chang-wook, who garnered a strong fanbase through his SBS drama "Scales of Justice," leaves little space for hasty presumptions. 10Asia visited the set of "Jejungwon" a week ahead of its premiere to get a closer look and a better understanding of the medical-historical drama.

2010010613592363530_1.jpg

Actors Sean Richard and Park Yong-woo act out a scene for SBS TV series "Jejungwon" on set at the broadcaster's studio in Ilsan,Gyeonggi Province of South Korea on December 30, 2009. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

A blond man sits at the door of a woman's room. He has an unidentifiable hose-like object stuck in one of his ears. A man sitting next to him says, "A tenth of 30 centimeters down from the neck, then another tenth of 30 centimeters to the left." That is when the woman sitting on the other side of the door starts moving. She places her hand, holding a stethoscope, to the chest of another woman whose jacket is undone. When the woman places the stethoscope to the other woman in accordance with the Korean man's directions, the blond man from the United States gives his diagnose of the patient's presumed illness.

This sight where three people -- American and Korean, male and female -- cling to this single lady brought up in a good family, helps us predict what "Jejungwon" will show its viewers. Such a scene is from times when a married woman from a good family would get beaten up by her husband for reading a book. Yoo Suk-ran (played by Han Hye-jin), who learns English and medicine, plays the friend of such a woman in the drama and will remark, "The King himself said discrimination no longer exists regarding status," although the world has yet to accept freedom of status. The same situation will apply to foreigner Allen (Sean Richard) who has come from the U.S. to spread Western medicine and Hwang Jung (Park Yong-woo) who learns medicine from Allen whilst concealing the he is actually of low status with his occupation as a butcher. That is how "Jejungwon," through a single scene, portrayed the medicine, the time period and the way people live during such times.

If the force driving "Jejungwon" lies in its story about people attempting to overcome limitations which arise from their status or gender, details shown throughout the drama which the production crew has paid particular attention to in verifying thoroughly are most important element in keeping the series in touch with modern day Korea. Every medical instrument and medical practice is based on thorough research of South Korea's history.

The atmosphere on set of "Jejungwon" was also similar. As Park and Han acted out the scene of opening a door to enter a room, producer Hong asked the two to open the door together in consideration of the editing. He then suggested that Han, whom he cast for the drama because "she seemed the perfect fit for the role of Seok-ran who is pretty, sturdy and smart," lightly embrace a childhood friend she is reunited with as a patient. There are no spectacular scenes to "Jejungwon" being the medical drama it is but every scene is created through meticulous producing. Hong, who calls the small room that appears in the drama "the hospital", hushes the set to make the atmosphere quiet and calm as if they are in shoot in an actual hospital. Not even the common sound of a 'Cut!' can be heard on this set.

Meanwhile, the dialogue a member of the production crew and staff exchange in between the shoots helps the onlooker assume the actual atmosphere of "Jejungwon". When Park appears on set, a crew member will jokingly ask him "What are you doing here?" to which Park will respond, "I heard there's some kind of attraction." Another member of the crew makes a bet on how well Han's film "No Mercy" will do. The shooting for each scene of "Jejungwon" maintained a constant pace which failed to slow and every member on set were doing their jobs without losing their smile.

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok two@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr

[PREVIEW]

Film "No Mercy"

"No Mercy" - Can you have mercy on the film's ending?

2010010611132963202_1.jpg

Actors Sol Kyung-gu (left) and Ryoo Seung-bum in "No Mercy" [Cinema Service]

A chopped-up body of a young woman is found at the mouth of the Keum River. Korea's top forensic investigator Kang Min-ho (played by Sul Kyung-gu) is brought in to look into the cruel, horrendous crime method. His medical advice and detective Min Seo-young's (played by Han Hye-jin) deduction lead to the arrest of a prime suspect -- an environmental activist named Lee Sung-ho (played by Ryoo Seung-bum). Lee's confession wraps up the first part of the movie but this is where the real story of film "No Mercy" begins. Lee Sung-ho, who has kidnapped Kang Min-ho's daughter, demands that Kang prove his innocence. During the process of carrying out Lee's orders, Kang finds the connection between Lee and a criminal case for which he was a witness years ago. As the old, unfortunate link between the two men unfolds and by the time Kang realizes that Lee's murder and threat were all planned as part of his revenge, the audience is left with just one question: what is the ending that Lee Sung-ho wants from all that has happened? That is also the ending to the movie. Whether or not "No Mercy", the first Korean film to open in 2010, will be remembered as a well-made thriller film will depend on the viewers' response to the ending.

Movie Points (1-10 points)

Impossible to give a preview of the movie without spoilers - 5 points

2010010611132963202_2.jpg

Scenes from the film "No Mercy" [Cinema Service]

Korea's top actors Sul Kyung-gu and Ryoo Seung-bum play hostile enemies in the film, but the two rarely create much intensity in the actual film. Not to say that their acting is below par. It is just that since Lee Sung-ho is in possession of all the rules of the game, Kang can only run around within the boundaries set by Lee. That is why "No mercy" has a closer resemblance to "Seven Days" and "Oldboy" rather than "The Chaser". All the more so since the film has a very shocking ending in store for its viewers.

If "No Mercy" leaves a strong impression on you after you watch the film, it is most likely because of the last couple of minutes of the movie. This statement means two things. First, that the ending is as shocking and original as it was in "Oldboy". And second, that the movie has little else going for it. One can predict quite early into the movie that Lee Sung-ho's confession was a trap to bring in Kang Min-ho and that the two have bad history with each other. The details about their relationship gets revealed halfway into the film. And from that moment on, what maintains the intensity of the storyline is not the showdown between Kang Min-ho and Lee Sung-ho nor Kang's struggle to save his daughter's life. It is only the wait -- the waiting for the evident reversal of an ending, whatever it may be -- that makes viewers endure the remaining running time. Whether or not the film's ending will be worth the wait will be confirmed when the film opens in theaters on January 7.

Reporter : Wee Geun-woo eight@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr, Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

January 06, 2010

New dramas do battle

06170429.jpg

The Masters of the Art of Study

On every Monday and Tuesday night last year, the "queen" dominated Korean TV drama world. Here the queen refers to the MBC hit drama "Queen Seondeok" which aired during more than half the year from May 25 to Dec. 22 and boasted a record 44 percent audience share at its peak.

Now, three new TV series from three broadcasters are poised to compete for the position that was exclusively possessed by Queen Seondeok last year. The three, all of which kicked off the first episode this Monday, are "Jejungwon" from SBS, "The Masters of the Art of Study" from KBS, and "Pasta" from MBC.

06170443.jpg

Jejungwon from SBS

Jejungwon is a drama about Korea's first modern hospital established by King Gojong in 1885 on the suggestion of American medical missionary Horace N. Allen, named Gwanghyewon, or the Widespread Relief House - later renamed Jejungwon.

The Masters of the Art of Study, the new KBS2 Monday/Tuesday series based on the Japanese comic book "Dragon Zakura" by Norifusa Mita - which made a splash in Japan and was also made into a TV drama there in 2005 - is a story about underprivileged students at a third-class high school struggling to get into a top university in the country, with the help of a strong-willed lawyer-turned-educator.

06170508.jpg

MBC's new show Pasta

Meanwhile, MBC's new show Pasta is set to be a "tasty and catchy" culinary drama such as the 2005 hit drama "My Lovely Samsoon." The story revolves around an aspiring female character who strives to become a recognized chef in the fictional Italian restaurant La Sfera.

*The full version of the article can be read in tomorrow's edition of the JoongAng Daily.

Credits : Park Sun-young [spark0320@joongang.co.kr]

Source : JoongAng Daily

2010-01-06

'What Makes a Man' Tops Rating for 2nd Week

The KBS2 Sunday program "Happy Sunday-What Makes a Man" is soaring in viewer ratings. It was more watched than any other program on rival channels during the same time slot for the second week.

336_915_l.jpg

Its ratings were 3.6% higher than "Family Outing" on SBS.

This week on Happy Sunday, the cast of its two hit corners--"Two Days and One Night" and "What Makes a Man"---met together on the show for the first time to share stories about the 2009 Entertainment Awards.

After a brief get-together, the regular program was back on. In What Makes a Man, its seven members, whose average age is now 40.6 in 2010, underwent a health checkup. It was entertaining to watch the middle-aged men being afraid of the examination. The results of their checkup, which included an endoscopy, will be revealed next week.

The episode this day posted the highest ever per-minute ratings of 21.2% (Nielsen) and an average rating of 19.1% (Nielsen). The overall ratings will soon surpass 20%.

What Makes a Man began to air nine months ago. Its last episode of 2009 and first episode of this year topped the ratings for its time slot, signaling a smooth start to the year.

Meanwhile, ratings for the whole Happy Sunday show were 28.7% (TNS/28.2%-Nielsen). Family Outing on SBS posted 16.3% (TNS/15.5%-Nielsen) and MBC's Sunday Night 6.2%.

Source : KBS GLOBAL

Archived