[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

August 6, 2010

Park Si-yeon turns creative director for U.S. fashion brand

Reporter : Lynn Kim Editor : Jessica Kim

2010080610233524560_1.jpg

Korean actress Park Si-yeon to turn creative director for U.S. fashion brand TOUCH [Moeim Style]

Korean actress Park Si-yeon will be taking on the role as a creative director for U.S. fashion brand TOUCH, according to U.S.-based Korean fashion company Moeim Style.

Moeim Style announced in a press release that the actress, as creative director, will be overseeing the entire planning process, from design to distribution to production, of the brand's celebrity fashion line starting this upcoming fall/winter season.

With Park, TOUCH will introduce and bring in lesser-known, premium U.S. fashion brands to Korea with reasonable prices and in high quality. "We are adding my sense of fashion to American-style designs," the actress was quoted as saying. "This will get rid of the difficulties that Korean women have had in wearing U.S. brands and we are focusing on showing clothes that are both stylish and wearable."

The 'celeb line' that fashionista Park will be handling includes brands Tulle, Line & Dot, 213 and MK2K, and will be sold in Korea as well as in the U.S. through local department stores.

In Korea, it will be available at the TOUCH store in Seoul's Myung-dong district and Hyundai Department Stores at Coex Mall, Shinchon U-PLEX and Mokdong-district.

The actress will also be unveiling her new fashion line in the August 6 issue of Korea's celebrity newspaper magazine "High Cut." The fashion spread, titled "Chic & Heartful," will feature various fashion items, from trendy to basic styles, for the fall season.

Park, 31, made her debut in the entertainment industry after placing second runner-up at the 2000 Miss Korea pageant. She has since appeared in many television dramas and films, most recently in "Coffee House" (SBS, 2010) and "Marine Boy" (2008).

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

August 6, 2010

Is cross-border endeavor key to better TV?

Wm. Penn / Daily Yomiuri Columnist

TV Asahi may actually be on the verge of giving us some insight into a puzzle that has been perplexing me for quite a long time now: What is the root cause of the decline in quality of Japan's TV dramas?

A. the scripts.

B. the actors, in an era when a few months as an idol with Johnny's Jimusho now qualifies one to emote professionally.

C. directors no longer intent on getting all the little details just right.

D. producers who no longer have the budgets to create quality entertainment.

E: viewers who have sent terrestrial TV drama ratings flatlining since they can now find everything they want on satellite TV with fewer commercial interruptions.

F: all of the above.

In this blame game, there's enough evidence to indict everyone. But starting on Aug. 8, Japan's scriptwriters will have a chance to defend themselves. That night, we'll get to see if they do better with partners who are more cooperative and energetic as TV Asahi begins televising three shows created as part of Telecinema 7. Other dramas from the ambitious Japan-South Korea drama collaboration project have already been shown in theaters and on the SBS network in South Korea. At the end of September, the DVD box set of all seven will go on sale.

The project was born of a joint proposal floated by Shinichi Ichikawa, of the Television and Radio Writers' Association of Japan, and Shin Hyun Taek, chair of the International Culture Industry Exchange Foundation in Seoul, at the second East Asian screenwriters conference held in Shanghai in 2007. The goal was to make seven productions in South Korea using scripts by leading Japanese scriptwriters, mostly big-name players responsible for major hits from the golden age of trendy Japanese dramas in the late 1990s.

The stories were produced with actors and directors from the South Korean entertainment industry, which has made exporting TV shows to Asia a big business. So far, the industry has succeeded through concerted efforts to expand and foster the market and to meticulously create a total product that emphasizes fashion, romance, exotic settings, pleasing background music and characters of some depth. It's a recipe for success that has pretty much disappeared from recent Japanese TV shows.

First up at TV Asahi is Rakuen (Paradise), a two-parter airing on Aug. 8 and 15 at 11:30 p.m. Written by Yoshikazu Okada of Beach Boys and NHK morning serial Churasan fame, it's directed by Lee Jang Soo, perhaps best known in Japan as the director of Beautiful Days. After NHK launched the South Korean drama boom back in 2004 with Winter Sonata starring Yon-sama (Bae Yong Joon) and Choi Ji Woo, they quickly followed up by airing Beautiful Days, assuring Lee Byung Hun and Ryu Shi Won of loyal fan followings in Japan too.

Rakuen features Ji Jin Hee, the male lead in Dae Jang Geum, the very popular tale of a 15th-century female court chef and a royal physician. He's a school teacher on a remote island where Kim Ha Neul, just released from prison, begins her life anew as a school cook who soon befriends a neglected child.

On Aug. 22 and 29 at 11 p.m., TV Asahi airs Ishikoro no Yume (A Dream Comes True) written by Miho Nakazono (Haken no Hinkaku). The story of two fading entertainers who help a young boy search for his mother is directed by Jang Yong Woo, who oversaw the Bae hit Hotelier.

Kekkonshiki no Atode (After the Banquet), written by Rie Yokota (Gokusen) airs on Sept. 5 and 12 at 11 p.m. with My Name is Kim Sam Soon director Kim Yoon Chul in charge. Seven bandmates from college--four men and three women--meet up at a reunion, but the eighth member, the keyboard player, has died. Her 15-year old daughter attends in her place with a letter from her mother informing her one of these four men is her father--but which one?

The other scriptwriters in the Telecinema 7 project include: Eriko Kitagawa (Beautiful Life, Long Vacation); Masaya Ozaki (Tokumei Kakaricho Tadano Hitoshi); Yumiko Inoue (Dosokai, 14-sai no Haha); and Shizuka Oishi (the NHK serial Futarikko).

Could the melding of Japanese scripts and South Korean production techniques represent an innovative new direction for the Asian TV industry? If this ambitious project works, it could be a promising business model for both sides and prove Japanese scriptwriters have still got what it takes.

Source: yomiuri.co.jp

August 6, 2010

Wonbin Beats Out DiCaprio And Jolie

e_100806_01.jpg

As a follow-up article regarding whether Wonbin has what it takes to take on some of Hollywood's biggest names, here's your answer :

YES. He is.

"아.저.씨." or "Mister" started showing in theatres in Korea on August 4th, and after just one day, rose as the new number one movie. According to the Korean Film Council on August 5th, 139,999 people had gone to see the new film. This beats the 132,363 people that had gone to see "Inception" starring Leonardo DiCaprio on its second day of showing.

In third place was Angelina Jolie's "Salt" with 108,958 viewers. "Toy Story 3" also started showing on the same day as "Mister", but only managed to attract 107,387 viewers.

Source: KBS Global

August 6, 2010

Actress Han to tie knot in Hawaii

By Han Sang-hee

100806_p16_han.jpg

Actress Han Ji-hye

Actress Han Ji-hye is tying the knot with her boyfriend of two years, according to her agency Yedang Entertainment, Friday.

The 26-year-old actress will marry the 32-year-old attorney at a hotel in Hawaii on Sept. 21 and will continue her career in acting, the agency added. The two met at church in 2009 and photos of them dating in the streets of Seoul made headlines soon after.

Han, who made her debut in 2001 as a model, turned to acting through dramas. She made several appearances in commercials and television dramas, but her big break came with "Nangrang 18" (KBS) opposite Lee Dong-gun, whom she dated after the series. She has appeared in several films as well, including "My Boyfriend is Type B" (2005) and "Humming" (2008).

Han recently released her autobiography, "My Fair Lady," and will soon appear in the Chinese drama "Cheondangsu" (working title) as the main character.

Source: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

Han Ji Hye To Wed in Hawaii in September

Actress Han Ji Hye (26) will get married to an incumbent prosecutor next month.

According to the agency’s announcement on August 5, Han Ji Hye will hold a wedding ceremony at a hotel located in Hawaii in the USA on September 21 with a district public prosecutor identified only as A (32), whom she has dated for two years.

The agency’s spokesperson delivered Han Ji Hye’s message, which said, “I have met my soul mate who I can spend the rest of my life together with. I hope that you give me your warm encouragement and cheer for our happy wedding.” Han Ji Hye, who is a devout Christian, met A at a gathering in church in January last year, and since then they have dated and grown in love for each other. Their romance has already been disclosed in a press release in March last year. The groom-to-be reportedly graduated from Seoul National University and has a prominent reputation.

The wedding will be held in private with only family members of both parties attending, and the agency said that Han will continue her activity as an actress even after the wedding.

August 6, 2010

[iNTERVIEW] Actress Kim Ha-neul - Part 1-2

Reporter : Wee Geun-woo Photographer : Chae ki-won Editor : Lee Ji-Hye Editor : Jessica Kim

2010080216020379067_1.jpg

Kim Ha-neul [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

10: At the last press conference for "Road No. 1," you had said you don't know whether you'd be able to pull off the role of your character Soo-yeon but once the drama started, it felt as if I was watching an angel.

Kim Ha-neul: She's full of love. And she knows how to love.

10: It's to the extent that it seems transcendental. You embrace characters like Soo-hyuk (played by Kim Jin-woo) who is a nuisance and look after Myung-ho with whom you are not related in any way.

Kim: I don't know. I myself fully understand and sympathize with her. The situation has been expressed in a slightly dramatic way but wouldn't anyone in her situation do what she is doing? And don't you feel sorry for Soo-hyuk? In how he is trapped inside an ideology. And she's a doctor so she'll want to save soldiers who are dying and want to look after a child she finds in the midst of all the chaos. It's the same with how she got tortured instead of the nurse. I don't think I'd stay put if someone was getting beaten up like that in front of my eyes. I may want to run away and become selfish over something small but I think I'd rather become altruistic when put in an extreme situation. For example, it's the same reason that the soldiers in our drama take part in the war, even though they know they might easily die from a gunshot. I think that and what Soo-yeon does are similar.

10: Are you normally the compassionate type? Or is that your understanding of Soo-yeon's situation from her point of view?

Kim: I think it's both. There's a bit of compassion and a lot of what I've come to accept while playing the role of Soo-yeon. It's fully understandable from Soo-yeon's perspective.

10: Then if you were able to sympathize with her in such ways, why were you worried about being able to pull off the role?

Kim: Sympathizing with her and being able to express her are two different things -- understanding her based on the situation that I perceive her as being in versus trying to express what she is feeling from my own heart. For example, there will be a scene later on where Soo-yeon discloses her emotions fully. It's the scene where she dramatically meets Jang-woo (played by So Ji-sub) after not having known whether he was alive or not, and it was hard shooting that scene. He doesn't recognize anyone and has almost gone crazy because he is in a state of panic from being in the war yet Soo-yeon hugs him out of love and sympathy. It was different sympathizing with her in that situation and actually trying to feel it myself from within.

10: She seems like a strong person in how she protects her heart and even Jang-woo while the war is going on.

Kim: She's strong. Even more than Jang-woo.

10: Well I think that's because she's a maternal person but I think that too must've been difficult for you [to portray].

Kim: It was really hard. I don't know if that's the difference between being married and single but although all women have maternal love and I understood and sympathized with Soo-yeon, it was really difficult to express all of that.

10: Were there times when you wanted to just give up?

Kim: I did with the scene I just told you about. And I still don't like the take I got the 'okay' sign for. I was not satisfied with it at all. Viewers may not be able to tell though because it could still work if you can sympathize with the acting emotionally and situation-wise. But as an actor, I really just couldn't feel it. It didn't ooze out from within me... having to embrace Jang-woo like a baby with my heart although he is much bigger than me. That's why this is also what I've thought. How it would've been like if I had gotten to shoot that scene towards the end. I think it would've been a bit different.

10: Then are you saying that you accepted her towards the end?

Kim: I didn't accept her, I just was her.

10: You had said before that you decided to tak on the drama because the script was fun. What had the largest influence on your decision to take on the role -- the script, your character Soo-yeon, or fact that the drama would be pre-produced.

Kim: I was just honored to even be taking part in it. I had never run across a production like this during my acting career and I wondered whether it would ever happen again. It's difficult to make a drama based on the war in Korea. So that's what I liked about it and I liked the fact that I would get to do acting you can't do in contemporary productions. Characters in contemporary work are quite made up -- they are very dramatic and go with various situations that come up along the way. But our production was based on the actual Korean War so we were able to tell a story from that time as if it actually happened. I mean, what's the chance that you'll experience a war during your lifetime? Even though it was just a bit, I liked the fact that I could experience, feel and express the sad and tragic incident which happened only in Korea.

10: Did you feel more reverent?

Kim: That's right. That's why I felt an a great ringing deep down in my heart after reading the synopsis and scenario. I also became greatly with the characters and situation from those times.

10: Then it must have been difficult for you to play around with the character, try different things. For example, with your character Oh Seung-ah from "On Air," it seemed that you were adding more of your real self to your character but that doesn't seem to be the case with Soo-yeon.

Kim: With Seung-ah, rather than trying to feel out who she is by looking at the script, I added more to her by injecting a lot of my actual self into her. A definite character and situation had been set but you could say that I made her into more of me. But with "Road No. 1," I really wanted to become Soo-yeon. I really wanted to become immersed with the role. Should I say that I had great admiration for her? I really did. There is still so much more to show you than you have seen so far but the Soo-yeon I have experienced through acting is really great. That's why I wanted to become her.

2010080216143979253_2.jpg

Kim Ha-neul [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

10: Is it the first time you've immersed yourself in the character this much?

Kim: Extremely speaking, I could say it's the first time.

10: Then did you try to stay your character even when the camera wasn't rolling?

Kim: I definitely wanted to stay immersed rather than come out of it but the breaks in between were longer than I had expected them to be. I repeated the cycle of shooting for a few days then resting for a few so it was hard for me, whereas the guys kept shooting without any breaks. And even when I did feel like I needed to rest, I couldn't let go of Soo-yeon completely because then I would have a hard time trying to become her again when I go back into shoot. Even the male actors had a hard time going back to being their characters when they finally got the time to take about three days of break.

10: It looks like you went through a new experience in various aspects. Do you think there's a possibility that you will develop by a level from this?

Kim: Rather than there being a possibility of it, I think there'll be more than one level of development. After every role that I play, after living someone else's life, I have always matured in some way. I'm different pre- and post-production. I don't know whether it shows right away or not but in the end, I know I have matured at least a bit. And that should be the way it is. After a movie like "Lovers of Six Years," I thought a lot about love and through another movie, I learned something from the crew or actor. And those experiences I accumulated on made something emerge very smoothly but with this role, it feels like there's something different, something that's mine. I don't know if I'll be able to show it through my next role and whether the audience will feel it, but I do.

10: Can you tell me in more detail about how you think you developed?

Kim: For example, for "My Girlfriend is an Agent," I learned horseback riding and to do action to create my character Soo-ji. These sort of outer developments are possible through learning but I can't teach myself to become Soo-yeon. I have to create her through the process of bringing her out from within myself. Through sentimentality and imagination. That's why I'm looking forward to seeing how I've changed after playing the role of Soo-yeon, I think I have probably become very different.

10: But if you develop bit by bit after each role, how do you think it would've been playing the role Soo-yeon a bit later?

Kim: I think that would've been good too. It's not bad but... Would the role still have been handed to me? (laugh) But I don't think any actor is ever 100 percent satisfied with his or her acting. So even if I played the role of Soo-yeon after I'm more refined, I still don't think I would've been satisfied. Rather than that, I think there is significance in meeting that friend in the process of refining my acting and taking on the role as sort of a challenge.

10: The reason I talked about age is because you could be paving a new road for yourself, after being a teen star, by meeting a character who has inner strength.

Kim: It does feel like I want to play a larger variety of character and that my perspective is becoming wider. There definitely are roles that actors my age can play in trendy dramas but there are so many of them. Simply put, I've done many of them so far. Main characters of soft dramas are attractive and I'm not saying I won't do them anymore but there are so many new things I want to try. Rather than preparing myself for a role that fits my age, I think it's good to broaden my perspective.

10: As an actress, do you by any chance want to try breaking into sort of a new field of acting?

Kim: No. Isn't it better to say, 'I tried so and so like this and this happened,' rather than drawing up something new?

10: Do you not like setting plans?

Kim: I never set plans. And I think I've always been like this. I've just done the best with whatever is in front of me and then realized one day that the result is better than what I'd imagined it to be. It's important to have a goal and big dreams but if you draw up a picture of what you'll be like when you're most successful, I think that will rather keep you trapped inside a mold and keep you from moving. I think I'd be able to fly higher if I don't keep such things in mind.

10: Have you always been like that?

Kim: That's what I've done and I will continue to.

10: How did you come to that judgement?

Kim: I tried it and it worked the best. It's my inclination and it's who I am. I had moved forward without a definite direction or line and just held onto something very blurry but it feels like it has become clear.

10: But don't you have a standard for your choices each time you choose a role?

Kim: I choose my next role depending on the influence I receive from my previous role. I don't decide to do a melodrama just because I've done a romantic comedy. There's a different form of influence I receive each time. For example, the me before and after playing the role of Seung-ah from "On Air" were very different. The Kim before Seung-ah was not confident, low spirited and had a lot of fear. But afterwards, I reflected on her in reality, thinking this is what I can do in such a situation. That's how I gained a lot of confidence and I myself felt the change. And I wanted to release that energy so I went for action. That's how I decided to do "My Girlfriend is an Agent."

10: So you're saying your choices depend on the situation you're in. Then what are you thinking of doing after Soo-yeon?

Kim: I don't want to play a role that is active. I really want to do acting where I can utilize what I have accumulated within myself.

10: You said you changed a lot by playing the role of Seung-ah. Then through the process of accumulating on experience as an actor, do you think you yourself are becoming a better person?

Kim: I think I'm getting to know myself better through acting rather than becoming a better person. It's hard to describe what that is to someone else, but for me, at least.

Reporter : Wee Geun-woo eight@ Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

2010080616255647417_1.jpg

2010080616285159910_1.jpg

Actress Kim Ha-neul, currently starring in MBC TV series "Road No. 1," poses during an interview with 10Asia.

Photographer: Chae ki-won ten @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3 l 4

August 2, 2010

Bedevilled takes top prize at PiFan

201007240101511003_2.jpg

The Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival (PiFan) wrapped up its 14th edition July 25 following a 10-day run that saw record ticket sales and Korean feature Bedevilled taking the top prize in the fest’s international competition, the Puchon Choice Feature award.

PiFan 2010 screened a total of 190 films including 110 features. The fest had a 73.2% attendance rate with a whopping 122 screenings out of a total of 297 completely selling out. Japanese films led the sell-out frenzy with hot new titles such as GINTAMA The Movie, Trick the Movie: Psychic Battle Royale, Confessions, and Detective Conan: The Lost Ship in the Sky.

tn_1279886822_-546677957_0.jpg

Debut director JANG Cheol-su’s rustic slasher Bedevilled, which previously screened in the Cannes Critic’s Week section, earned PiFan's top honor, while the Jury Choice award went to Japanese hit Confessions by NAKASHIMA Tetsuya. The UK’s Gareth Edwards won the Best Director prize for Monsters, while Best Actor went to Richie JEN for Hong Kong police thriller Fire of Conscience and Best Actress to SEO Young-hee for her lead in Bedevilled. TAKAMATSU Shinji’s animated feature GINTAMA The Movie won the Prugio Citizen’s Choice award.

Korean thriller Bestseller, starring UHM Jeong-hwa and directed by LEE Jeong-ho, was given the European Fantastic Film Festival Asian Award while Japanese drama Permanent Nobara by YOSHIDA Daihachi received the NETPAC awards for outstanding Asian film in the Vision Express section of PiFan. The Fujifilm Eterna Award for best Korean independent feature was given to Bedevilled, bringing the film a total of three awards at PiFan.

Credits: Nigel D’Sa (KOFIC)

August 2, 2010

I Saw the Devil and The Housemaid invited to Toronto

Two Korean features have been invited to this year’s Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF). The fest, which has yet to announce its full line-up, will present Kim Jee-woon’s I Saw the Devil and the North American premiere of Im Sang-soo’s The Housemaid during its run September 9 – 19.

I Saw the Devil, which has its Korean release August 11, will screen in TIFF’s Special Presentations section – a program devoted to major films from renowned directors. Director Kim is one of Korea’s top three genre masters with previous films, the Manchuria-set “kimchi” western The Good, The Bad, The Weird (2008) and noirish-mafia-thriller A Bittersweet Life (2005) winning critical acclaim and broad festival play. Actor Lee Byung-hun, who starred in Kim's last two films, takes the lead, playing a secret agent who plans gruesome revenge on a vicious serial killer, played by Choi Min-sik.

The Housemaid, an erotic-thriller, is a remake of the 1960 Kim Ki-young classic. The 2010 version had its world premiere in competition at Cannes and stars former Cannes Best Actress winner Jeon Do-yeon. TIFF officials explained that The Housemaid takes a satirical look on class structure, comparing the picture to La Ceremonie by famed French director Claude Chabrol. Korean production company and sales agent Mirovision recently signed a deal with IFC for multi-platform distribution in North America.

August 6, 2010

Two Korean film prize at Fantasia

castawayw.jpgblades.jpg

Korean films captured 2 prizes in the main competition section of the Fantasia International Film Festival which took place July 8 – 28, 2010 in Montreal, Canada. Winning the second-place Special Jury Prize was Lee Hae-jun’s comedy Castaway on the Moon. The Best Director prize went to noted helmer Lee Joon-ik for his Chosun period swashbuckler Blades of Blood. The top award for Best Feature went to Sawako Decides by Japan’s Ishii Yuya.

Castaway on the Moon also picked up a third place Bronze prize under the Audience Awards: Best Asian Film category. Another South Korean film, The Executioner, directed by Choi Jin-ho, was given an honorable mention by the jury of the AQCC Prize, with first place going to Japanese director Kore-Eda Hirokazu for Air Doll, starring Korean actress Bae Doo-na.

Fantasia is a genre-oriented film festival which highlights fantasy and horror films worldwide and has a special devotion to Asian cinema. The festival runs at various venues throughout Montreal.

August 6, 2010

CJ remake Hollywood hit GHOST

ghostjapkor02.jpg

Korean film major CJ Entertainment has boarded the Japanese remake of Jerry Zucker’s 1990 Hollywood hit Ghost, a supernatural romance which starred Demi Moore. The remake, titled Love and Soul, is directed by Japan’s Otani Taro and stars Japanese actress Matsushima Nanako (The Ring) in what was Moore’s role, opposite Korean wave star Song Seung-heon.

The film will now be a three-country co-production with CJ joining Hollywood studio Paramount and Japan’s Shochiku and Nippon TV. CJ will also handle international sales for the remake. The film’s lead producer is Taka Ichise, Hollywood-based producer of horror franchises, The Ring, Ju-on and The Grudge.

Shooting already wrapped end of last month, and a release date in Japan is slated for November 13. A Korean release is set to follow, most likely in late November.

I Saw the Devil release delayed

20100808_1281243195.jpg?w=480&h=159

Kim Ji-woon’s latest noir-thriller I Saw the Devil has seen just that in the form of the Korea Media Rating Board, having received a “restricted” rating, effectively banning the film, following a wrangle over problematic scenes.

The film’s production company Peppermint and Co. resubmitted the film recently after a month of re-editing in the hopes of receiving an 18+ rating. The Rating Board’s decision to re-apply the “restricted” rating resulted in the cancellation of the film’s press screening last Thursday. The thriller was originally slated for a wide release August 11.

Kim Hyun-woo, the film’s producer, defended the artistic integrity of the movie, saying it portrayed revenge from the eyes of the victim and was deliberately realistic. The Board argued that the scenes in question “severely damaged the dignity of human values.”

A “restricted” rating in Korea means the film is only eligible for limited screenings in special theaters which exclusively program adult films. As no such theaters exist in Korea, the film is effectively banned. Advertising and marketing “restricted” films are also banned.

The commercial thriller, distributed by Showbox, will have no choice but to compromise and make further cuts. The film stars top Korean actor Lee Byung-hun as a secret agent who hunts down and exacts gruesome revenge on the psychopath (played by veteran thespian Choi Min-shik) who killed his fiancé.

August 9, 2010

Lee Seung Gi: ‘I Never Act on Entertainment Programs’

Singer and actor Lee Seung Gi, who has become the most wanted person by appearing both on entertainment programs and in dramas, revealed his opinion by saying, “I never act when I appear on a reality entertainment program.”

In the production presentation of the drama “My Girlfriend is a Gumiho,” which was held on August 4, Lee Seung Gi answered the question asking whether appearing on entertainment programs has helped his acting by saying, “I have an ironclad rule that I never act on entertainment programs.” He has appeared on KBS’s most popular entertainment program “One Night and Two Days” for several years and has been an active participant as a cast member of the show.

Lee Seung Gi emphasized, “Appearing on entertainment programs might be helpful for my comical acting, but actually the timing and harmony for acting is totally different from that required for entertainment programs. In addition, the program 'One Night and Two Days' is a reality show which has to show honest and true behavior, and if I act on the program, I could ruin the reality of the program.”

7472_1490_l.jpg

In the drama “My Girlfriend is a Gumiho,” which will air its first episode on August 11, Lee Seung Gi will play a thoughtless university student named Dae Woong who falls in love with a girl named Gumiho. He makes an appearance in the drama after taking a one year break upon finishing filming the SBS weekend drama “Brilliant Legacy,” which finished airing in July last year.

Dae Woong is a student majoring in theater and film and he is dreaming of becoming an action star. One day, he accidently sets Gumiho (Shin Mina) free from a sealed location and they begin living together regardless of his initial intentions. Lee said, “From last year when I received the script for the drama, I have studied the character by having many discussions with the writers. As I had sufficient time for preparation, I could prepare for the character thoroughly. The drama contains everything like an assorted gift set. There is action, comedy, and melodrama. The only thing that you cannot find in the drama is a bedroom scene. As the script -- which contains various things -- is perfect, I am trying to make the most of the script and fully utilize it, as much as 200 percent of it.”

When he appeared in the drama “Brilliant Legacy,” the drama had recorded 45 percent viewer ratings, so he could have felt pressure about viewer ratings. He said, “I do not feel any pressure because of my previous drama. Dae Woong is very similar character to the role that I played in the drama ‘Brilliant Legacy’ when it comes to the character’s thoughtless behavior. But, Dae Woong is a much more comical and cute character." He stressed, "He will be seen as a completely different character in the drama.”

7472_1491_l.jpg

About the competition with the KBS drama “Bread, Love, and Dreams,” which will be broadcast at the same time, he said his thoughts, “Since the drama 'Bread, Love, and Dreams' is a very good drama, I had been bothered and had felt pressured at first, but as I began filming the drama, the stress and pressure have been reduced. Since we have a good script and good harmony among cast members and staff members, if we just do the same thing we have done so far, I guess that we can expect a good result.”

When it was pointed out that he has not appeared in any of his works as the sole protagonist, he answered humbly by saying, “I think that I might not play the sole protagonist in any work in the future.” He continued, “I think that teamwork is the most important thing. The reason why my previous works were successful was only because I worked with other good members. Personally, I think that I had the good fortune to have good people to work with. But, I want you to know that I have prepared and I am preparing hard to achieve good acting, good teamwork, and all that.”

7472_1492_l.jpg

August 9, 2010

No gray zone for Korean films

Picking a Korean film to watch is like flipping a coin. Either you get something sweet and saccharine or you get something vicious and violent.

On the surface, local films can be categorized between the depiction of reality as an idealized, almost fairy tale universe through melodramas such as “The Classic” or the more violent, urban gothic version portrayed in thrillers like “Oldboy,” that revel in the embrace of the macabre.

This summer, it’s been the case of the latter with a slew of unapologetically violent pictures that have garnered much attention from the public -- two of those films are currently sitting atop the domestic box office charts.

20100809001036_0.jpg

Park Hae-il (left) stars in director Kang Woo-seok’s “Moss.”

“(Korean) movie studios are trying desperately to figure out what sells and what audiences want,” said Lee Yong-kwan, director of the Pusan International Film Festival and professor of Chung-Ang University’s department of film studies. “They want to give the public something different, something they haven’t been exposed to and I think that is why this year we’ve seen so many violent pictures produced by big studios starring big movie stars -- it’s because we’ve seen it all before.”

As of this writing, “The Man from Nowhere,” Won Bin’s ultra-violent turn as a knife-wielding madman on a mission to clean out the criminal underworld, has topped the domestic box office with over a million ticket sales already notched during its opening week. The film unseated yet another violent local picture, director Kang Woo-seok’s “Moss,” as the top Korean film.

This is impressive box office performance given that the Korea Media Ratings Board slapped both with a hard 19+ rating. “Kang Woo-seok directing a picture so completely unlike his previous films reveal how desperate the local film industry is in trying to find the next big thing to get in on,” said a film producer who asked to remain anonymous.

“So far it seems to be working. Everyone seems to be talking about them.”

Writer-director Kim Ji-woon’s controversial latest, the Lee Byung-hun, Choi Min-sik tandem, “I Saw the Devil” -- set for an Aug. 12 release -- has been scoring high in the buzz meter among local audiences not to mention attracting plenty of media attention since it was recently given a limited release judgment due to its excessive screen violence.

“I Saw the Devil” is currently being trimmed for a third submission to the KMRB.

So have filmgoers just been in a mood for some violence or has there always been a polarized preference in films from the masses?

20100809001037_0.jpg

Veteran actor Choi Min-sik stars alongside Hallyu-star Lee Byung-hun as a serial

killer in writer-director Kim Ji-woon’s “I Saw the Devil.”

Has the recent string of heinous crimes of child rapists stirred the public enough for them to want to see on-screen revenge tales where gruesome demises are handed to murderers and rapists?

“Personally, I don’t think this recent rush toward releasing or producing violent pictures is some sort of reflection of the current social climate,” Lee said. “It’s not as complex as that. I think it has a lot to do with movie studios wanting to latch onto something new and something different.”

20100809001038_0.jpg

Won Bin in a scene from the ultra-violent revenge thriller “The Man from Nowhere”

Lee went on to say due to the polarization of genres in the local film industry, the ones that will suffer will be filmmakers who want to tell stories about everyday folks. “This type of bandwagon mentality will eventually cut out the guys in the middle -- the ones making slice-of-life dramas and films that really reflect Korean society,” Lee said. “They might be able to carve out a niche by selling them online but I don’t see much of a place for them at multiplexes.”

If one were to look for a common thread that ties all of this together, it is of course, escapism.

“To be fair, it isn’t just Koreans that go to the movies for escapist entertainment,” Lee said. “Moviegoers from all over the world want to be entertained and want to forget about life while watching a film. But the biggest difference between our industry and theirs is that there is enough of a demand for alternative and dramatic films for those genres to survive.”

By Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

August 9, 2010

Choung Kyung-ho meets 500 fans in Japan on Sunday

Reporter : Lucia Hong Editor : Jessica Kim

2010080914261192606_1.jpg

Korean actor Choung Kyung-ho at his first fan meeting in Tokyo, Japan [N.O.A. Entertainment]

Korean actor Choung Kyung-ho held his first-ever fan meeting in Japan over the weekend, meeting with some 500 fans at the event, according to his agency N.O.A Entertainment on Monday.

A press release from N.O.A. announced that the actor held the event titled "Choung Kyung-ho 1st Fanmeeting in Tokyo" at the IMA Hall on August 8, where he sang "Special Person" from the soundtrack for hit TV series "I'm Sorry, I Love You" and made red bean-paste ice flakes for his fans.

He also spoke with them in his waiting room as part of the 'waiting room tour' for the fan meeting and ended the meet and greet with a hand-shaking event followed by a photograph session with the fans. "I was really nervous at first to be meeting my fans in Japan but was relieved that everyone had a great time. I had a good time even though it was short meeting and hopefully, I'll get to see everyone again in the near future with a new project," Choung was quoted as saying, thanking his fans who showed up at the event.

He also expressed his gratitude to his Japanese fans who threw him a surprise birthday party during the fan event by saying, "I was wished happy birthday by so many people this year. There are no words to express my happiness and I will treasure this feeling forever."

A day before the fan meeting, Choung attended a special screening and promotional event hosted by Japan’s LaLaTV for series "Ja Myeong Go," which will air in mid-October. He met with numerous local media outlets such as The Daily Yomiuri, Tokyo Shimbun and JCOM Magazine, talking about his role and the show.

The 26-year-old actor first appeared in the mobile drama "5 Star" in 2004. He rose to stardom with his role in the KBS' hit series "I'm Sorry, I Love" (KBS) and recently in the weekend drama "Smile, You" (SBS).

Choung has also appeared in films "All For Love" (2005), "Sunny" (2008) and "Turtle is Running" (2009).

2010080914261192606_2.jpg

Korean actor Choung Kyung-ho speaks during his first fanmeeting in Tokyo, Japan [N.O.A. Entertainment]

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 9, 2010

Will two big stars create fireworks?

When two major stars collide on the small screen, it either spells disaster or fireworks.

The reason is simple.

Both hold enough weight to head a project on their own, meaning they might cancel each other out as a duo. Furthermore, their celebrity personas can make it difficult for viewers to buy into their characters.

On the flipside, when the chemistry is there a pair of high profile thespians can light up the screen in a way that turns a project to gold. Viewers will find out what fate has in store for media darlings Lee Seung-gi and Shin Min-a when SBS’ “My Girlfriend is a Gumiho” airs Wednesday night.

Shin earned her acting cred opposite hallyu star Lee Byung-hun in “A Bittersweet Life” (2005) before maturing into a stylista who steamed up a glossy in a Calvin Klein Jeans spread and nabbed the title of “Hot Fashionista” at the 2009 Mnet 20’s Choice Awards.

Lee debuted as a singer at 17 and proved his mettle as a lead actor in the hit SBS series “Brilliant Legacy” nearly five years later. Lee is currently co-hosting SBS’ talk show “Strong Heart” while continuing to tough it out on KBS’ popular reality segment “Two Days and One Night.”

In the upcoming series, Lee plays a rich brat who finds himself tethered to a gorgeous yet frighteningly carnivorous nine-tailed fox, endearingly portrayed by Shin.

20100809001034_0.jpg

Media darlings Lee Seung-gi (right) and Shin Min-a star in the new SBS drama “My Girlfriend is a Gumiho.” (SBS)

Scripted by the Hong sisters Hong Jeong-eun and Hong Mi-ran -- known for their modern or fusion-style adaptations of Korean fables into dramas like “Sassy Girl, Chun-hyang” (2005) -- “My Girlfriend is a Gumiho” riffs off the traditional tale of the nine-tailed fox (called “gumiho” in Korean), a creature oft-depicted as a femme fatale that feeds on human livers.

“When I first saw the script, gumiho was very different from how I had imagined her,” Shin said at the drama’s press conference last Wednesday. “She was like a newborn child.” “She is just innocent and wants to be human,” the 26-year-old actress said. “I have a six-year-old niece and am modeling my character after her.”

Shin discards classic feline sultriness for puppy dog cute in the upcoming drama; a move that recalls Daryl Hannah’s squeaky and adorable mermaid in the hit 80s flick “Splash.” “I am a lovable fox,” Shin said.

Aside from a fondness for meat -- hanwoo (Korean beef) in particular -- Shin’s gumiho, or to be more accurate, Miho, bears little resemblance to the frightening fox of horror series past. But that doesn’t stop Lee’s Cha Dae-woong from trembling with fear when Miho latches herself onto him.

A theater and film student with a wealthy background, Cha rescues Miho from a 500-year-old bond only to have the favor returned when the grateful nine-tailed fox saves him with a magical kiss (Miho passes a life-giving orb to Cha from her lips to his).

“It was not scripted as a kiss scene but the director turned it into one, so I had a fun time filming,” Lee grinned. “While it is a kiss scene, I was giving him life with an orb. It was not an expression of love,” Shin clarified. “Because it was the first episode, I did feel a little embarrassed.”

Lee, who received the synopsis last year, expressed confidence in his role as an aspiring action star, discussing how he had received action training in the past. He also contrasted his previous stint as an immature rich kid in “Brilliant Legacy” to his new character Cha, saying: “If in ‘Brilliant Legacy’ I played earnest, this time I am comical.”

Comedy is not the only genre to look for in the upcoming series. According to Lee, “My Girlfriend is Gumiho” has melodrama, action and comedy.

“It has everything in it but eroticism,” he joked.  

“My Girlfriend is a Gumiho” airs Wednesday night at 9:55 p.m. on SBS.

By Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com) koreaherald.cm

August 9, 2010

Lee Min-ho reveals pics from Maldives vacation

Reporter: Lucia Hong Editor: Jessica Kim

2010080916202293197_1.jpg

Korean actor Lee Min-ho on his Maldives vacation [Official Lee Min-ho Cyworld and Twitter]

Korean actor Lee Min-ho has uploaded pictures from his recent vacation in the Maldives on his official Cyworld webpage and Twitter.

Last Friday, Lee posted several photographs of himself including one of himself on the beach sporting a navy blue t-shirt and white pants, a close-up shots from a swimming pool and another of himself talking on his phone while sitting on a bench.

The following day, Lee wrote a comment on his official fan webpage saying, "It's been a while since I went on a summer vacation with my family. The island was so beautiful and quiet and I have returned fully rested." Fans who have seen the pictures left responses such as, "You're everyday life is like a photo spread" and "It's great to see Min-ho's playful side."

Lee, 23, started out in the entertainment industry in 2006 with various roles in TV and short dramas. He became a household name as Goo Jun-pyo in the Korean adaptation of "Boys Over Flowers" (KBS, 2009) alongside Korean actress Ku Hye-sun and Kim Hyun-joong.

He recently starred in the hit MBC series "Personal Taste," in which he pretends to be a gay man, opposite Korean actress Son Ye-jin.

2010080916202293197_2.jpg

Korean actor Lee Min-ho on the beach during his Maldives vacation [Official Lee Min-ho Cyworld and Twitter]

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 7, 2010

Milestone for Shim: 15 years in film biz

06220712.jpg

Shim Jae-Myung

“It was a movie about ladies past their prime playing handball. Boring, don’t you think?”

Shim Jae-Myung, 47, is already a legend in the entertainment field. As one of the “First Generation of Producers,” she introduced the concept of “production” to Korea’s film industry, thereby laying the foundation for the “Korean Film Renaissance” of the mid-1990s.

Indeed, her corporation, Myung Films, and Director Kang Woo Seok’s Cinema Service are considered to be the basis for many film production companies.

The 30 “offsprings” of Myung Films include the following: its first-born film, “Corset” (’96); the original of a well-made commercial movie, “The Contact” (’97); Jun Do Yeon’s critical film that brought her to stardom, “Happy End” (’99); a humanistic movie dealing with the complex issue of the division of North and South Korea, “J.S.A.: Joint Security Area” (’00); a touching drama of female handball players, “Forever the Moment” (’08).

Celebrating the 15th anniversary today, Myung Films re-released four of the films in Gwang-Hwa Moon-Cine Cube from Monday to Thursday. Music records containing 16 original movie soundtracks also hit the stands on the 3rd.

While it is truly impressive that Myung Films has kept its status among the innumerable production companies that appear and disappear at the blink of an eye, Shim said its strength and endurance were due to difficult moments. One occasion involved an internal rift that revolved around “Forever the Moment,” a film that Shim was desperate to bring to reality but was opposed by her own employees.

“It was a movie about ladies past their prime playing handball. Boring, don’t you think?” asked Shim casually. “So did everyone who considered it a success if the movie could draw a mere 700,000 viewers to the theater. However, seeing things from my vantage point, no other story offered a better motif than this one. The final tournament of the 2004 Athens Olympic Handball was a universally plausible narrative that would get to the hearts of many. The former chairman of Seoul Film Commission, President Hwang Gi-Seong, complimented it at the premier by saying that there are possibilities to a story untold before. ”

Contrary to the general expectation, the movie, directed by Lim Soon-rye, attracted more than 4,100,000 people, and even became a national sensation. It bore a popular jargon Woo-Saeng-Soon, a Korean acronym for the movie, which became infused in everyday language.

Shim seemed to understand that the road not taken is the more dangerous path because she has to pave her own way. But she chose to take the risk because she saw a chance-landing in the golden chambers of El Dorado. “When I see a movie script, I ask myself three questions. First, am I simply itching to tell this story? Second, would others be hooked by it? Third, how can I make this into a film with the least amount of loss?” said Shim, when asked the secrets to her success. However, even such careful planning could not save “The Fox Family.” And yet, Shim said such failure has not made her waver, and she has not sought financial gain at the cost of her own standards.

Indeed, Shim’s adventurous and creative take on film production has been recognized by the media. Two of her movie reviews were transferred from the “Culture Column” to the “Social Column,” creating a terrific splash in the public press. One of the reviews on “Joint Security Area” coincided with the Joint Declaration of North and South Korea in 2000, and the movie’s soaring popularity revealed the deep-rooted trauma of the divided nation.

Awaiting this coming fall’s release of “Cyrano Agency,” a romantic comedy, Shim said her next project is an animation, based on Hwang Sun-mi’s best-seller about a hen that flies the coop to find freedom.

By Ki Sun-min [estyle@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.com

August 10, 2010

Cho Seung-woo to Make Post-Army Comeback in 'Jekyll and Hyde'

2010081000252_1.jpg

Cho Seung-woo performs on stage in the musical "Jekyll and Hyde."

Actor Cho Seung-woo will make his comeback with the musical that made him famous, "Jekyll and Hyde," after completing his military service. He will again appear in the starring role when a new production of the hit show opens from Nov. 28 at the Charlotte Theater in Seoul.

"It seems a bit early to confirm this as he is still serving in the army, but Cho will meet audiences again through the musical 'Jekyll and Hyde'," Cho's management agency PL Entertainment said. "He is one of the few actors who has found success in both films and musicals."

Before he entered the military, tickets for the shows in which Cho performed used to sell out on the day they went on sale, and sold for double or triple the original price at auction websites.

The musical seems to be especially meaningful for the actor as well. "Cho's acting career can be divided into before and after 'Jekyll and Hyde'," said PL Entertainment CEO Song Hye-sun, as he rose to stardom when the show premiered in Korea in 2004. Cho later appeared in a number of memorable works such as the musicals "Man of La Mancha" and "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" and the hit films "The War of Flower" and "Running Boy."

In anticipation of Cho's return, PL Entertainment has received a stack of nearly 100 scenarios and scripts for films and musicals since early this year.

"Jekyll and Hyde" tells the story of Dr. Jekyll who is accused of blasphemy for his scientific experiments trying to separate good and evil. When he tests one of his potions on himself, the doctor is transformed into the evil Mr. Hyde. Cho's performances were hailed by critics for his intense charisma together with flawless vocalization and acting.

Cho is currently serving his military duty in an acting troupe under the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency. The group performs plays and shows for the disabled, senior citizens living alone, and children.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

August 10, 2010

Retrospective to Showcase Im Kwon-taek's Films

2010081000685_0.jpg

Im Kwon-taek (file photo)

Cinema fans awaiting the release of Im Kwon-taek's 101st film, "Scooping Up The Moonlight," will have an opportunity to catch up on the renowned director's body of work at a 70-film retrospective held by the Korean Film Archive.

The two-month event, running from Thursday through Oct. 3, will allow audiences to view all of the surviving films from Im's half-century career, including his debut "Farewell Tumen River" (1962), as well as works such as "The Surrogate Woman" (1986), "Come Come Come Upward" (1989), and "Seopyeonje" (1993).

The retrospective kicks off with a digitally remastered version of "Mandala" (1981) at 6 p.m. on Thursday at Cinematheque 1 in the Korea Film Archive in Sangam-dong, Seoul. This film was invited to compete in the Berlin International Film Festival and catapulted Im to international fame.

The master director is scheduled to appear at three moderated discussions during the retrospective: after the showings of "Seopyeonje" on Aug. 21, "Festival" (1996) on Aug. 28, and "Pursuit of Death" (1980) on Sept. 11. There will also be over 10 screenings with commentary by other directors or film critics. It is not certain whether "Scooping Up The Moonlight" will be included in the program.

Entry is free. For more information, visit the website of the Korean Film Archive at www.koreafilm.or.kr/cinema.

August 10, 2010

(Movie Review) As comedy thriller, 'Desire to Kill' shines

By Kim Hyun

SEOUL, Aug. 10 (Yonhap) -- Memory can be unreliable, not to mention easily framed. When it comes to a pair of neurotic, and even amnesiac, patients sharing a mysterious past, in which their lives are at stake, memories can be further skewed and nothing may be as it appears.

"Desire to Kill," directed by Jo Won-hee and Kim Sang-hwa, is an intricate thriller about guilt, revenge and memory loss that builds to a surprising yet logical end. And there is plenty of humor along the way that keeps the audience riveted.

20100810140633bodyfile.jpg

Forlorn and bedridden from a stroke, the shrunken middle-aged man Min-ho (Chun Ho-jin) attempts suicide constantly in a small hospital room. One day, a new patient, Sang-eop (Yoo Hae-jin), arrives, and he remembers instantly what has happened between them. There is a snapshot of his distant memory: a young woman happily cuddles a little girl, but her smile disappears when Sang-eop appears with a knife. Unable to move his body except his hands, Min-ho sets out on a desperate quest to avenge his wife's death.

Sang-eop has amnesia that makes it difficult for him to remember recent events. He is pushed out of bed and his face turns blue overnight as Min-ho secretly attacks him with whatever he can grab hold of, but the next morning, he remembers nothing. With the help of new, radical medicine prescribed by an unknown doctor, however, Sang-eop gradually recovers from amnesia and discovers the man lying in the next bed is his long-sought perpetrator.

What ensues next is a series of deadly fights, and each scene of the two going at each other draws laughs. Cups are thrown, and ropes are flung as the two physically unable men make frantic efforts to kill each other. Fine acting amplifies the humor, as director Jo guaranteed in a press preview on Monday that the viewers will "see the best acting by the best actors in our country." A scene in particular makes good use of Yoo's trademark protruding mouth and a glob of jelly.

No one else in the hospital notices their bloody fights, with the medical staff and patients engrossed by a baseball game on TV. Despite the humorous overtones, the film deals with serious questions. Who was the real perpetrator, and whose wife was murdered? How did they end up in the same hospital room after all?

The film's minor flaw is that the answers are given in a long, uninterrupted piece of soliloquy, and that the audience suddenly has to piece things together. The suspense of anticipation cools off in the end. Overall, the thriller by the first-time directors shines with an intricate plot and quality acting, and has moral echoes of human nature: aggression toward others can be a veiled attempt to shield oneself against one's own guilt.

"Desire to Kill," produced by Punchbowl and distributed by Lotte Entertainment, is set for a nationwide release on Aug. 26.

Source: hkim@yna.co.kr yonhapnews.co.kr

August 10, 2010

Lee Jung-hyun shoots commercials for 7 products in China

Reporter: Lucia Hong Editor: Jessica Kim

2010081012593701030_1.jpg

Korean singer and actress Lee Jung-hyun [AVA Entertainment]

Korean singer and actress Lee Jung-hyun will soon be featured in seven television commercials in China, according to her agency on Tuesday.

AVA Entertainment announced in a press release that Lee has been shooting commercials for cosmetics, mobile phone, TV, refrigerator and washing machine brands and is waiting to sign contracts for two additional commercials, a game and clothing brand.

Lee has led a successful singing career in China, with 10 hit songs under her belt. In May, the songstress' title track "Suspicious Man" from her seventh full-length album "Lee Jung Hyun 007th" ranked atop one of China's largest portal sites and she was also named the most searched foreign celebrity.

She will also star as the female lead in a drama tentatively titled "Confucius," which will air towards the end of the year on China's national broadcaster CCTV.

Lee, 30, made her debut in 1996 with a role in the movie "A Petal." She appeared in several more movies and dramas thereafter but is most well-known for her singing career in Korea and other Asian countries.

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 10, 2010

Lee Byung-hun, Son Ye-jin, Bong Joon-ho to win APN Awards

By Chung Ah-young

10081016.jpg

The Asian-Pacific Producers Networks (APN) will honor Korean actor Lee Byung-hun, actress Son Ye-jin and film director Bong Joon-ho at the APN Awards for their contributions to the film industry in the region.

The 5th APN Awards will be held at the Jecheon International Music and Film Festival in North Chungcheong Province from Aug. 12 to 14. APN is a network of some 100 current film producers from 10 Asia-Pacific countries ― Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan and Thailand.

From this year, the organization will expand the number of winners from one actor or actress of the host country of the APN general meeting to three categories ― actor, actress and director.

Known as a "hallyu" star, Lee recently starred in the popular television drama series "IRIS (2009)" and his debut Hollywood film "G.I.Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009)."

Son also performed various characters in the film "White Night (2009)" and television dramas "Spotlight (2008)” and "Personal Taste (2010)."

Bong has been internationally recognized for his masterful films "The Host (2006)" and "Mother (2009)."

Cannes-award winning actress Jeon Do-yeon received the award for "Secret Sunshine" in 2007, while Japanese actor Kenichi Matsuyama won the award for his performance in "Death Note" in 2008. Chinese actress Xun Zhou who acted in "The Banquet (2006)," "Painted Skin (2008)" and "Confucius (2010)" was honored in 2009.

Source: chungay@koreatimes.co.kr

August 11, 2010

Lee Byung-hun, Son Ye-jin, Bong Joon-ho Win APN Awards

Actors Lee Byung-hun and Son Ye-jin and director Bong Joon-ho have been named the winners of the 2010 APN Awards by the Asian-Pacific Producers Network. They will be awarded the prize in Jecheon, North Chungcheong Province on Friday.

The annual award presented by the organization of over 100 film producers from the Asia-Pacific region used to be given to only one actor or actress from the host country of the APN general assembly that year. It has now been expanded to three categories -- an actor, actress and director.

2010081100341_0.jpg

From left, Lee Byung-hun, Son Ye-jin and Bong Joon-ho

Previous recipients include Jeon Do-yeon of "Secret Sunshine" in 2007 and Kenichi Matsuyama of "Death Note" in 2008.

The upcoming APN meeting, which will discuss potential joint productions and copyright issues, is scheduled for Thursday through Saturday on the sidelines of the Jecheon International Music & Film Festival.

Lee Byung-hun, Son Ye-jin, Bong Joon-ho to win APN award

Reporter : Lucia Hong Editor : Jessica Kim

2010081112541518514_1.jpg

From left to right: Korean actor Lee Byung-hun, actress Son Ye-jin and director Bong Joon-ho

[bH Entertainment, Barunson Entertainment]

Top Korean actors Lee Byung-hun and Son Ye-jin and noted director Bong Joon-ho will be honored at the Asia-Pacific Producers Network (APN), according to the event's host Jecheon International Music and Film Festival (JIMFF) on Wednesday.

The honorees will be recognized for their contributions to the film industry in the region at the 5th annual Jecheon International Music and Film Festival to be held from August 12 to 14 held in the North Chungcheong Province of Korea.

The APN is an association of 100 film producers from 10 Asia-Pacific countries including Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan and Thailand.

The APN announced that starting this year, they will expand the number of awards categories to actor, actress and director. Before, only one actor or actress from the host country received the award.

Lee is considered one of the most successful actors in Korea, having starred in numerous hit dramas and films. His latest works include blockbuster series "IRIS" (KBS, 2009) and his debut Hollywood film "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" (2009).

Son, 28, rose to stardom in Asia with her role in the TV series "Summer Scent" (KBS, 2003). She also played the female lead in the movie "White Night" (2009) and most recently in MBC's "Personal Taste" (2010).

Director Bong Joon-ho is known worldwide for his works including blockbuster hit movies "The Host" (2006) and "Mother" (2009) which won various awards at international film festivals in 2010.

Previous winners of this award includes Cannes award-winning actress Jeon Do-yeon for her role in "Secret Sunshine" (2007) and Japanese actor Kenichi Matsuyama for his role as L in the film "Death Note" (2008). In 2009, Chinese actress Xun Zhou, who starred in "The Night Banquet" (2006), "Painted Skin" (2008) and "Confucius" (2010), was handed the honor.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 10, 2010

Star couple seeks to lure more fans with new soap

By Han Sang-hee

100814a.jpg

A scene from "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho." Singer-turned-actor Lee Seung-gi and actress Synn Min-a will appear in the upcoming drama "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho." The 16-episode romantic series about a stuntman-wannabe and a legendary fox with nine-tails starts airing tonight at 9:55 p.m. on SBS.

Television fans all recognize singer and actor Lee Seung-gi for his perfect guy-next-door image with a sweet smile and attractive personality but can he pull off a stuntman wannabe university student who has a thing for mysterious creatures?

The makers of the new drama "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho" (working title) would want a yes for an answer, as he is matching up with actress Synn Min-a and aiming to create yet another successful romantic drama series for television viewers.

"'My Girlfriend is a Gumiho' is like a gift box: It has funny, heartwarming and even heartbreaking elements all in one shot. We are all sure the series will be able to offer a bit of happiness to viewers," Bu Seong-cheol, the producer, said during a press conference last week at SBS headquarters, in Mok-dong, northern Seoul.

The storyline is simple: Cha Dae-wung, played by Lee, accidently wakes up the legendary gumiho, or the nine-tailed fox, that seeks revenge and lives on human flesh and livers. Surprisingly, the fox/human is nothing like the legendary character that appears in ghost stories, but a cute and clueless girl who prefers hanwoo, homegrown cattle beef, and is searching for true love with a man who will love her despite her haunting condition. Lee, not knowing what to do with the gorgeous "monster," helps her along her journey of soul searching and looking for love and discovers his true feelings for her.

"The gumiho in the drama is so innocent and pure that she seems a bit dumb. It was hard for me to act because it was a character I have never experienced," Synn said.

1008163.jpg

It will take a bit more than effort to perfectly bring out the role assigned to her, as Synn is better known as an advertisement star here, complete with the looks, body and charms. She may have appeared in various dramas and films for the past 12 years since her debut, but it’s hard to pinpoint a memorable character or work that establishes and highlights her acting career. Amid the ongoing worries and criticism, the 26-year-old admitted her lack of acting experience on both the small and big screens.

"I may have been criticized for not being fully devoted to my acting because of the numerous commercials I worked on, but that’s something I will have to develop and prove to viewers in the future. I hope to break that stereotype of me through 'My Girlfriend is a Gumiho,'" she said.

Fellow actor Lee will also have to break from his usual image of being the ultimate good guy in order to transform himself into a true actor. He started out as a singer in 2004, but he was given the chance to prove his versatility through the popular drama "Brilliant Legacy" (2009, SBS). From there, he became one of the most sought after commercial star and hosts, appearing in various ads for home appliances, beverages and clothing brands and hit shows such as "One Night Two Days" (KBS) and "Strong Heart" (SBS). "I was not the one and only person who made the popular shows popular. The most important thing was teamwork and I think I was lucky in that area. I think this drama will also be a success as we all have great teamwork," he said.

Teamwork will be needed, indeed, but will Lee be able to bring something new to the table aside from his signature smile and smooth emceeing, and try to work on his overall acting for a change?

"I believe I’m not the only one who wants to discover a new image of me, something completely different from the old 'Lee.' My previous work for 'Brilliant Legacy' was a bit more serious than this one and I will do my best to bring out a more comical and cute character this time," Lee added.

Written by the writers for hit soaps such as "My Girl" (2005, SBS) and "Couple or Trouble" (2006, MBC) Hong Jeong-eun and Hong Mi-ran, the drama will hopefully reach to the top as a trendy and fun soap with catchy characters.

The 16-episode "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho" starts airing tonight at 9:55 p.m. on SBS.

Source: chungay@koreatimes.co.kr

Archived