[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

August 4, 2010

Kang Ji-hwan says will act in musical "Cafe In" Japan show

Reporter : Kang Seung-hun Editor : Jessica Kim

2010080411323946264_1.jpg

Actor Kang Ji-hwan (far left) speaks during a press conference for musical "Cafe In" held at Art One Theater in Seoul, South Korea on August 3, 2010. [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

Actor Kang Ji-hwan, producer of upcoming musical "Cafe In," has said he will take part in the production also as a member of the cast when it shows in Japan. Kang made the remark during a press conference for the musical in Seoul on Tuesday, saying he will be the producer for the show's run in Korea but both producer and actor for its run in Japan.

Kang was not included in the Korea show from lack of practice -- his drama "Coffee House" ended its run last just last week, keeping him from participating often enough in rehearsals for the musical. The actor admitted he had not been able to practice enough but added, "I will rehearse hard so that I'll be able to go on the stage in Korea too although there are no definite plans for it as of yet."

Kang expressed his hopes for his new endeavor as a producer for the meantime, saying the musical "must do well" as well as half-jokingly asking photographers at the press event to take many photos for publicity. He explained that he decided to take part in the show as producer after hearing it was a strong production and with the thought that he could show a performance which was different from plays and musicals put on so far. "I had always had a lot of interest in musicals but had not been able to take part in one because I thought I wasn't good enough," Kang said humbly. "But I liked how it was a two-man play -- it was refreshing that two people would tell the story for 100 minutes."

"Cafe In" is about the love story between a sommelier and a barista whose ex-boyfriends get married to another woman as soon as they break up with her.

Starring Yoo Na-young, Kim Tae-han, Woo Geum-ji and Kim Kyung-soo, "Cafe In" runs at the Art One Theater from August 4 to October 3. In Japan, the musical will show a total of 23 times, from October 16 to November 7.

Kang made his debut in the entertainment industry through popular musical productions "Rocky Horror Show" (2001) and "Grease" (2004).

He has since appeared in several notable dramas and films including "Be Strong, Geum-soon!" (MBC, 2005), "Hong Gil-dong, the Hero" (KBS2, 2008) and "My Girlfriend is an Agent" (2009) alongside actress Kim Ha-neul.

Reporter : Kang Seung-hun tarophine@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

"Cafe In" cast, producer pose at press conference

2010080411413394641_1.jpg

Actor Kang Ji-hwan waves during a press conference for musical "Cafe In" held at Art One Theater in Seoul, South Korea on August 3, 2010

2010080411413394641_2.jpg

Actor Kang Ji-hwan takes his seat at a press conference for musical "Cafe In" held at Art One Theater in Seoul, South Korea on August 3, 2010

2010080411392087647_1.jpg

2010080411392087647_2.jpg

Actor Kang Ji-hwan poses during a photo session of a press conference for musical "Cafe In" held at Art One Theater in Seoul, South Korea on August 3, 2010

2010080411440308862_1.jpg

Actor Kang Ji-hwan and the cast of musical "Cafe In" pose during a photo session of a press conference held at Art One Theater in Seoul, South Korea on August 3, 2010

Photographer: Lee Ki-bum metro83 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 1 l 2 l 3 l 4

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

August 4, 2010

Won Bin: ‘I Dreamed of Becoming Actor After Watching Action Movie’

The movie “The Man From Nowhere,” which will be released on August 4, is a very violent movie with realistic action scenes. The fight scene in which Tae Sik, who is the former member of a special forces unit, devastates a criminal organization that kidnapped a neighbor girl contains violent scenes such as splattered blood and broken bones, but the scene is also filled with resolute and well-made action sequences.

An interviewer met actor Won Bin, who has been "reborn" as an action hero, at a café located in Samcheong-dong, Jongno on August 2. He had previously filmed battle scenes in the movie “Taegukgi“ and he had carried a gun when he filmed the movie “Guns and Talks,” but he mentioned that this is the first time for him to film a legitimate action movie.

He said, “When I was a high school student, I completely indulged in action movies. When I watched the movie ‘Terrorist,’ I came to have a dream of becoming an actor. I just had the vague thought of thinking ‘It looks cool. I wish that I could film that kind of movie.’ But, it took about fourteen years for me since my debut to realize my dream of filming an action movie."

7467_1464_l.jpg

Won Bin has clean-cut features not readily associated with the word ‘Mister,’ which is the Korean title of the movie. Director Lee Jeong Bum had reportedly kept in mind an image of a middle-aged man character for the role. Won Bin related his thoughts about this image, saying, “When I first read the script of the film, I wanted to play the character, and I thought that it might be more interesting if a male actor who does not look like a middle-aged man performs the role.” Won Bin does not have the image of a tough man, such as actor Choi Min Soo, who played the protagonist in the movie “Terrorist,” which had given the dream of becoming an actor to Won Bin, but he successfully portrayed the character who has a deep scars inside and effectively expressed the anger of the character emotionally.

He informed the interviewer that he had talked with the director many times about the character and he had actually focused on portraying the character’s emotion through action. He explained, “Tae Sik’s depressed feelings were expressed in the form of action. Action is actually Tae Sik’s language in this movie.”

He continued, “Filming the action scenes was very exciting. Also, when I filmed some action scenes not typical of Korean action movies, I was even more amazed. I had to perform the movements that come naturally when a special agent is faced with the enemy and prepares for counterattack, so I had to be equipped with the basic movements. I trained to use a gun and sword and to perform action steps three months before filming began. Practicing the steps was very tricky. My upper body and lower body have to move together, but actually they move in different directions.”

7467_1465_l.jpg

He presented the fast and disciplined action which is a mixture of traditional Asian martial arts such as Penjak Silat, Kali, and Arnis. Which scene did he feel was the most dangerous for him? He picked the scene in which he is thrown off a building and falls onto the net of a driving range. He said, “I was hanging from the height of a five-story building, relying on only a single rope. In the scene, I had to fall down while feigning unconsciousness, so I was really dizzy when I filmed the scene.”

The movie “The Man From Nowhere“ is the first movie in which Won Bin plays the sole protagonist. When he filmed the movie “Taegukgi,“ actor Jang Dong Gun acted as another protagonist together with him; when he filmed the movie “Mother,” he played the male lead alongside actress Kim Hye Ja, and when he filmed the movie “My Brother,” actor Shin Ha Kyun was the main actor along with Won Bin. This time, Won Bin has to solve every problem in this movie as the sole protagonist. But, he does not attach great importance to that fact. He said, “I just approached this movie as an actor. Some people say that I am the single protagonist of this movie, but I tried not to put so much importance on the fact because thinking that way could disturb my acting by giving me pressure. In fact, I did not have enough time to think about those things because the filming schedule was so tight. At this moment, while I wait for the release of the movie in the midst of many people’s excited anticipation, I am feeling a little bit of pressure.”

From his first movie “Guns and Talks” in 2001, which was directed by director Jang Jin, to this latest movie “The Man From Nowhere,” he has filmed five movies. Even taking into account the break from the time when he entered the army until his discharge due to family problems, the number of works in which he has appeared is not very high. He explained, “I could not find works that I really wanted to appear in. When I filmed the movies such as “Taegukgi” and “Mother,” it took a long time for filming. I want to act consistently and slowly for a long time, rather than appearing in many different works.”

7467_1466_l.jpg

What does Won Bin usually do when he does not work? He answered, "Most of the time, I stay at home. I watch movies and read books. I usually do not meet people very often or drink alcohol with people. Sometimes, night and day become switched for me, and during those times, I do not sleep at night and watch movies until the early morning, and go to bed afterward. I have been quite busy, so I have not been able to go to the cinema since the movie ‘The Servant.’”

Source: KBS Global

August 4, 2010

Can Wonbin Take On DiCaprio and Jolie?

e_100804_01.jpg

The movie "아.저.씨." or "Mister" started showing in theatres in Korea on August 4th. This is the first project where Wonbin is the one main star. No equally-ranked co-star to share the limelight with.

Currently, the Korean box offices are being dominated by Leonardo Dicaprio's hit "Inception" and the Angelina Jolie-starring "Salt" with each bringing in 3 million and 1.5 million viewers, respectively. "Mister" received favorable reviews after the media screening so all eyes are on the domestic flick to see if it an tackle out the two international blockbusters. Especially so because another popular Korean movie, "Ikki", failed to maintain its top status against them.

Reviews included "this is breaking new ground for action movies", "Wonbin is showing a new never-before-seen transformation", "the best example of Wonbin's charm and talents", and "the soundtrack is the perfect accompaniament to the well-made action scenes".

The story is about a lonely man (played by Wonbin) who keeps to himself, away from the rest of the world. His only friend is his female next door neighbor Somi, played by Kim Sae-ron, who requires rescuing when she's kidnapped by a crime gang. This thus leads Wonbin's character to come out of his hermit-hole to save her.

August 4, 2010

Actress Kim to reclaim glory days

By Han Sang-hee

Sonjungeun.jpg

Actress Kim Jung-eun is aiming to bring back

her glory days through the new drama "I’m Legend."

Will she succeed? /Korea Times file

Among the many actresses in Korea, Kim Jung-eun certainly stands out from the crowd.

Starting her acting career at the age of 20, she has earned a reputation of being a friendly and familiar star, in contrast to her peers who tend to hide from the public spotlight and only appear at a handful of promotional events.

Rather than hiding her behind-the-scenes personality from the public, Kim, 34, has managed to steal the hearts of fans with her down-to-earth demeanor and natural smile, and she is aiming once again to bring back her glory days through the new drama "I’m Legend" (SBS).

Kim’s recent career moves have been somewhat under-the-radar compared to the past. "General Hospital 2" (2008, MBC) failed to grab much attention, while "Lovers" (2006, MBC) just stirred more interest in her relationship with then-boyfriend and co-star Lee Seo-jin. It seemed the actress could not move past her character from the hit series "Lovers in Paris" (2004, SBS), and her image as the bubbly and likable Kang Tae-young just overshadowed whatever role she played.

Perhaps as a venture to try something completely new, Kim did something actresses seldom do: host a music show alone, which, especially one as high-profile as "Chocolate," not only requires fluent emceeing skills, but also on-the-spot reactions and strong relationships with singers. "(Starting such a show) puts a lot of pressure on me, but I will do my best. I won’t be a hostess who just wears pretty dresses and says what she is told, but will try to emcee as if I were a viewer myself," she told reporters in 2008.

"Chocolate" is currently one of the most popular music shows with guests including fellow actors, singers and even figure skating champion Kim Yu-na. Kim has kept her promise and proven to be a reliable, funny and friendly host and also a comfortable companion for artists and musicians who appear on the program. Having proven to the audience that she can, in fact, host a show and actually be good at it, Kim has finally returned to the drama world after a two-year hiatus and, so far, the reviews are very promising.

Kim stars as Jeon Seol-hee, a daughter-in-law in one of the richest and most influential households in Korea, but who faces a divorce after her husband and in-laws restrict her interests and freedom. This week’s episode proved once again that Kim had what it took to become a drama princess, transforming from an elegant wife and main vocalist for her secret rock group to a heartwarming and caring friend.

She has managed to bring out her character perfectly, making witty remarks and showing off her signature smile and expressions. Overall, the drama has shined with her presence, without lacking in respect for her husband and his mother, donning expensive accessories and outfits, rocking the stage in black leather and an electric guitar on her shoulder, and weeping stinging tears with her friends.

"The stage where she and the other three members of the rock group performed was the perfect way to see how passionate they were in making this drama successful. It really felt like they were enjoying it," the drama production company, A story, said through a press release. Some viewers posted comments saying she reminded them of Kang from "Lovers in Paris," while others complimented her work and said they were looking forward to another fun and inspiring character. Although the character from "Lovers in Paris" eventually drained her, the interest and comparison may work to her advantage, as it was, in fact, one of her biggest works to date.

The new drama saw a very promising start, marking 13.3 percent in ratings, according to the Total National Multimedia Statistics Wednesday. With fierce competition from other dramas soon to be aired, viewers, and Kim, will have to wait and see if she will be able to captivate the eyes and ears of fans with her new role as a headstrong rocker with a nasty divorce down the road.

"I’m Legend" airs every Monday and Tuesday at 8:50 p.m. on SBS.

Source: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

August 4, 2010

Korea gives 'Devil' restricted rating

Rating stays the same even after a month's worth of editing

By Park Soo-mee

201008050038571.jpg

SEOUL -- “I Saw the Devil,” the director Kim Ji-woon’s new crime thriller, was given a restricted rating by the Korea Media Rating Board Wednesday. This is the second time that the film received the restricted rating after the film’s producer Peppermint and Co. asked the board to give it an 18+ rating last month.

The film’s press premiere, which was originally scheduled for Thursday, will be delayed until next week.

“This is a story of revenge from the eyes of a victim,” said Kim Hyun-woo, the film’s producer.

“The expressions of revenge were deliberately direct and realistic to make it more engaging for audiences to see the film from the victim’s point of view.”

The producer is currently adjusting "technical alternatives" to condense the controversial scenes without damaging the film’s motive, he added.

The problematic scenes raised by the board include sequences in which the film’s character throws a dead body part to a dog and keeps the remainder in the refrigerator. The board explained that the scenes “severely damage the dignity of human values.”

The film, starring a duo of top Korean actors Lee Byung-hun (“GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra”) and Choi Min-shik (“OldBoy”) is the story of a cop whose fiancé was killed by a serial killer. The film is distributed by Showbox and co-produced by Ciz Entertainment.

Restricted rating, which is officially called “limited screening” in Korea, virtually bans a film from being screened here since such films can only been played in special theaters featuring exclusively adult films and no such theater exists here. Advertising and marketing such film is also banned, which forces a commercial film director to compromise with the board's decision.

The film was originally scheduled to open on August 11.

Source: hollywoodreporter.com

August 5, 2010

It’s a boy for Sol and Song

04214830.jpg

Sol Kyung-gu and Song Yoon-ah have announced the birth of their first child, a boy born Tuesday at a Gangnam area hospital.

“Both mother and baby are healthy,” the couples’ management company, S2007 Entertainment, said.

Sol and Song tied the knot last May. They had previously worked together on the films “Jail Breakers” (2002) and “Lost in Love” (2006). Sol is known for his roles in “Peppermint Candy,” “Public Enemy” and “Silmido.” Song is a film and TV actress who recently appeared in the film, “Wedding Dress.”

By Hannah Kim Contributing writer joongangdaily.com

August 5, 2010

Han Hye-jin holds first fan meeting in Japan

Reporter: Lucia Hong Editor: Jessica Kim

2010080416474995407_1.jpg

Korean actress Han Hye-jin [Namoo Actors]

Korean actress Han Hye-jin held her first fan meeting in Japan last weekend, according to her agency Namoo Actors on Wednesday.

Namoo announced in a press release that Han met with some 700 local fans at the fan meeting, held July 25 at the Ion Cosmetics Theater 'BRAVA' in Osaka.

The actress opened the event with a piano performance of famed composer Ennio Morricone's "Love Affair," recited a poem by poet Ryu Shiva and cooked spicy rice cakes for her fans. She also held a hand-shaking session.

A fan meeting official explained, "This is the first time I have seen so many male fans attend a fan meeting. There were people of all ages including couples, teenagers and people in their twenties."

Han, 28, has appeared in several movies and TV series since making her acting debut in 2002. She rose to fame with her roles in MBC's "Be Strong, Geum Soon!" (2005), historical hit series "Jumong" (2006) and recently in SBS '"Jejungwon."

The actress also starred in the film "No Mercy" (2010) alongside top Korean actors Sul Kyung-gu and Ryu Seung-beom.

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 5, 2010

[iNTERVIEW] Actor Won Bin - Part 1-3

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk Editor : Lee Ji-Hye Editor : Jessica Kim

2010080423263884330_1.jpg

Won Bin [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

10: I heard that when you debuted, you had wanted to become an actor after watching Choi Min-soo starrer "The Terrorist." "The Man from Nowhere" also revolves around the action sequences of a single man. How did it feel?

Won Bin: For me, "The Terrorist" was the greatest movie at the time. I dreamt of becoming an actor after watching that film. The time I spent working on "The Man from Nowhere" was a lot of fun for me. It was a new genre for me and I liked it even more because my character communicated with a child.

10: You must've been excited. (laugh)

Won Bin: It was fun. Many people worried that I might get hurt since there was so much action in it but I like moving about and sweating. I felt like I was playing a game doing the action scenes. I hadn't done this sort of action movie before so it was tough physically but it was also new so it felt like I was learning something.

10: It seemed like the style of action in particular in "The Man from Nowhere" was important. Like the blade Tae-shik uses to cut his hair, it was brief, simple and sharp. And it seemed that a lot of attention was paid to the fight scenes.

Won Bin: Director Lee Jeong-bum modified and combined three forms of Southeast Asian martial arts -- Silat, Kali and Arnis -- in a way that it would suit the movie. Cha Tae-shik used to be a special agent so he had to be swift enough to pin down his enemy instantaneously when he's attacked and we thought it was important that it be martial arts that can be put into practice.

10: What did director Lee say about your action moves?

Won Bin: Not once did he demand for something to be done a certain way. All he did was tell me about the emotional aspects of Tae-shik and he asked me to express Tae-shik's anger through the action sequences. He said he wanted me to express his outburst of emotions rather than just try to show a cool action scene.

10: I think such emotions stood out the most in the last action scene where he becomes extremely agitated. How did you try to show those emotions?

Won Bin: Tae-shik had no reason to live in that situation if he didn't have a child to save because he has already lost everything he ever had in this world. That is why I decided to portray him as an even more cold-hearted and composed character. And if he's someone in such a state, I thought he would take down his opponent as quickly as possible by fighting cool-mindedly rather than out of rage.

10: You must've had to make your body look like that of a special agent to act one. When the camera got you full shot, I got the feeling that your body is very stiff.

Won Bin: I thought that Tae-shik must be able to move as swiftly as a cat because he's a special agent. And that his movements or walking should be stiff. I got into shape concentrating on making small and lean muscles rather than bulking up myself.

10: It really seemed like your body became perpendicular to your legs when you walk or run. (laugh) But Tae-shik is a special agent who has been through every hardship you can imagine and is very brutal to his enemies. Yet he risks his life for a child. What was your take on this?

Won Bin: I don't think he was doing it just to save that one child. I think he did it to free himself from his own pain from the past. He currently lives alone without family but I think he has a sense of guilt when it comes to his family. That's why I regarded him as someone who is trying to break free from his past by saving the child.

10: So is that why he was at the pawnshop alone? It was funny to see how he sets up a pawnshop in nowaday Korea. (laugh)

Won Bin: A pawnshop is a lonely space that is cut off from reality and also seems like a prison because of the bars. The child says it too at a point in the movie but it's as if Tae-shik is in a prison. I think he might've locked himself in a prison from an extreme sense of guilt.

2010080423251278785_1.jpg

Won Bin [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

10: How did you feel about there being almost no change to his expression? And him saying very few lines? He showed most of his emotions through his eyes.

Won Bin: I think it's inevitable that someone who hasn't been outside for three years would become quiet. He hadn't spoken to anyone and must've held a great amount of grief in his heart. Hence I thought that it was only natural that there would be little change to his expression because of who he is.

10: Wasn't it difficult trying to express your emotions through subtle expressions or looks?

Won Bin: It was but that was what was more appealing. I think the sadness he felt in his heart was delivered more effectively because he kept himself from saying useless things by pushing down his emotions rather than expressing himself through exaggerated expressions or shouting out loud. That's why I said my lines in a low tone and cut the words short. Because he is someone who is making conversation for the first time in several years.

10: You too are seen by many people as the type that doesn't talk a lot. Do you think you're similar to Tae-shik in that sense?

Won Bin: Every role I have played has been similar to me in some way or another and it was the same with Tae-shik too. Well, rather than being similar... Spending time alone? (laugh)

10: Do you feel more comfortable spending time alone? (laugh)

Won Bin: I don't always spend time alone (laugh) but I think that's how people see me.

10: What do you do when you're alone?

Won Bin: I draw or take photographs. That's my lone time and that's when I feel that most comfortable. I like doing things with other people too but I also need time to do my own things. Drawing stabilizes me emotionally when my mind is tangled.

10: I think people may feel distant from you because you mainly appear in movies so that makes you more difficult to approach. It's not like we get to see you often either.

Won Bin: Isn't that the case with everyone else too? (laugh) I actually do wish I could meet everyone more often through more acting roles. But some movies get released two years after they've been filmed -- even with "The Man from Nowhere," I decided to do it two months after I got done shooting "Mother" but it took a year to get released. That's why people may feel a distance from me but it's also that it has taken a long time for some of my work to reach the audience. I actually do want to take things slowly though.

10: Well it doesn't seem like you're impatient.

Won Bin: It would be good to show the audience many sides to me in a short time but I'm going to stay an actor for a long time. So I think it would be good to accumulate gradually [on experience].

10: Has such an attitude had an influence on your decision to take on "Mother"? It ended up being a good choice but it could've also ended up being an irrational decision.

Won Bin: I felt reassured becaused I could depend on director Bong Joon-ho and Kim Hye-ja and I thought there would be something I could show through the movie. Before "The Man from Nowhere," people saw me as the roles I had played before, for example, many roles that I was offered were ones where I had a soft-hearted image. But I chose "Mother" because he recommended it to me seeing the possibilities I had. I wanted to go for it with the mindset that I'm taking on a new challenge.

10: What do you think you gained as an actor through "Mother"?

Won Bin: I was extremely nervous while filming "Mother" but I also felt a sense of freedom at the same time. I think I was able to become more familiar with acting and stand in front of the camera more comfortably while feeling that I'm having more fun.

10: It wasn't fun from the start?

Won Bin: I still don't think it's fun. It's difficult rather than being fun. But I think I keep doing this because of the disappointment. I keep thinking that I could probably do better in some way with my next role. Of course, I do feel catharsis from acting. I feel a joy from that and tell myself that I want to do better next time.

10: Where do you think you felt catharsis with "The Man from Nowhere"?

Won Bin: I think I'll become sure of it when I see how the audience responds.

10: Have you ever watched it with the audience in the theater?

Won Bin: I couldn't because of the stage greetings. And it's difficult to watch movies with them because I don't have enough time to when a movie is being released. And it somehow still feels awkward to watch my own movie in a theater.

10: What sort of movies do you like to watch as an audience?

Won Bin: I'm not picky when it comes to genres. And I don't think I should be, since I'm an actor. I try to act in as many genres as possible.

10: Then do you have a picture for what kind of actor you want to be in the future?

Won Bin: I just work hard. It's my desire to do my best to make the best movie possible so that I don't regret it, and if the results are good, I hope to become an actor that someone wants to become like in the future.

2010080423271185928_1.jpg

10: Then you must be more cautious about choosing new roles. What about a new movie do you regard as most important?

Won Bin: First, that the scenario is strong and what story it tells within it. And it was never on purpose but I think the roles I've played till now have been humane. They have always had an affinity. I think "The Man from Nowhere" too contains a form of love between a man and a child but I wonder whether I would've taken on the movie if there wasn't such form of communication.

10: But it doesn't seem like you're ambitious to become more popular or anything of the sort. It's not like you're interested in building a career overseas.

Won Bin: I think it would be good to be give such an opportunity as an actor. I've never had the opportunity to, rather than not being interested. (laugh) I'm actually not the type that does things aggressively. I'm rather the type that does his best at what he's been given.

10: Is that your personality?

Won Bin: I have not been that type who takes the first step in doing something. I think I've always felt a big responsibility in having to do the best I can with what has been handed to me. That I shouldn't let down people's trust in me. I think a lot that I should do well at what I'm in charge of.

10: Then do you think your personality has had an effect on the path you've taken till now? It feels as if you create an image for yourself while carefully choosing your next role.

Won Bin: That's not true. Just because I took on the role that I did in "Mother," I didn't think beforehand that I should take on a role like I did in "The Man from Nowhere." I'm actually not picky about anything. I just go with whatever moves me so what role I play isn't important. What's important for actors is how well they do on a stage that has been created for them and what stage it is, along with being able to act with freedom within that.

10: But that stage won't always be somewhere you want to be. For example, you look more comfortable making fun of director Bong Joon-ho in a commercial for a beer. (laugh)

Won Bin: I'm sorry director. (laugh)

10: But it seems that people want to see more of the Won Bin from the recent coffee commercial. Do you ever worry about this?

Won Bin: What they want to see and what I want to show them... Maybe "The Man from Nowhere" is where that point meets?

10: I think that's right. In that sense, it seems that "The Man from Nowhere" is a movie that is important for you timing-wise and it also seems like you take control of the roles you play.

Won Bin: I'd be thankful to be regarded in that way. I think it was even more possible because of "Mother"?

10: What kind of person do you regard yourself as?

Won Bin: I try to stay loyal to the moment that I'm in as best as I can. Because it's a time that doesn't come back and you can't go back to it once you've passed it... Of course, there are going to be moments I look back on and regret but I want to live it so that I don't regret it as much as possible.

10: You don't have any regrets?

Won Bin: It wouldn't make any difference even if I did. The best thing is to be able to live every moment and I hope there isn't too much that I regret at the moment. There are going to be things I regret but I want to minimize that.

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok two@ Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@ Editor : Jang Kyung-Jin three@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

2010080423225269079_1.jpg

2010080423200060449_1.jpg

Actor Won Bin poses during an interview with 10Asia.

Photographer: Lee Jin-hyuk eleven @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 1 3 l 4

August 5, 2010

Korean drama "Minamishineyo" scores top rating in Japan

2010080508424241476_1.jpg

Members of ANJELL from the hit SBS series "Minamishineyo" [Market Insight]

Popular Korean TV series "Minamishineyo," currently airing on Japanese public network Fuji TV, has scored the highest viewership rating amongst shows broadcast in the same timeslot.

The show's promoter Market Insight announced in a press release on Thursday that the 11th episode of "Minamishineyo" broadcast on August 3, posted a rating of 6.9 percent, beating out TV Asahi's suspense mystery drama and TBS '"Mito Kimon" and NTV's "Karei naru Spy - Gogodora "which all air during the 3:30 pm timeslot.

"Minamishineyo" began its run in the country on July 20 as part of Fuji TV's "Hallyu Alpha Summer Festival" after having first premiered in the country on the Hallyu exclusive cable channel KNTV in March.

The hit SBS drama "Minamishineyo," about a girl pretending to be a man to join the popular idol group ANJELL, made household names out of actor Jang Keun-suk and actress Park Shin-hye in Korea and throughout Asia.

"Minamishineyo" aired in Korea during the latter half of 2009, maintaining viewership ratings in the 10 percent range despite competing against KBS 'blockbuster drama "IRIS" during its run.

The show has been a success overseas as well, selling its publication rights to several broadcasters in Asia including China's CCTV, Thailand's BBTV, Philippines' GMAABS-CBN and Singapore's MATV.

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 5, 2010

Han Ji-hye to wed prosecutor in September

Jessica Kim

2010080512114965312_1.jpg

Actress Han Ji-hye [Trophy Entertainment]

Top Korean actress Han Ji-hye will get married to her prosecutor boyfriend in September, according to her agency on Thursday.

Through a press release, Trophy Entertainment announced that the 26-year-old actress will wed her boyfriend of almost two years, at a hotel in Hawaii on September 21.

The boyfriend, whose name has been unidentified, is six years older than Han. The two, both devout Christians, met at church in January of last year and two months later, admitted to a report that disclosed their romantic relationship.

"I have met a companion through whom I can live my life ...... No matter what unpaved road we may come across, I will dare promise you that I will not let go of the hand I am holding onto now. I ask that you encourage and support us toward living a happy life, "Han was quoted as saying in the statement.

Han has said she will continue to pursue her acting career even after her marriage.

Born Lee Ji-hye, Han made her debut as a supermodel in 2001 and has since appeared in many notable dramas and films. Some of her best-known works include "Summer Scent" (KBS2, 2003), "Sweet 18" (KBS, 2004), "My Boyfriend Is Type B" (2005) and "East of Eden" (MBC, 2008-2009 ).

Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

August 6, 2010

Han Ji-hye to Marry in Hawaii Next Month

2010080600341_1.jpg

Han Ji-hye

Actress Han Ji-hye will tie the knot with her boyfriend next month.

Han's management agency Yedang Entertainment announced that she will marry her boyfriend, a 32-year-old public prosecutor, on Sept. 21 in a hotel in Hawaii.

The two devout Christians met in a church meeting in January last year, and have been spotted together mountain hiking and having coffee in a cafe in southern Seoul. The wedding will be closed to the public with only family and close relatives invited.

"Han plans to continue her acting career after the wedding," Yedang Entertainment said. "We hope everyone wishes them great happiness for their future."

Han made her debut in the 2001 Super Model Contest, later appearing in the KBS dramas "Sweet 18" and "Likeable or Not," the MBC drama "East of Eden," and the films "My Boyfriend Is Type B" and "Blades of Blood." She is currently taking a break after finishing shooting on the Chinese TV drama "Heavenly Embroidery."

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

August 5, 2010

History issues make S. Koreans more worried than Japanese about neighborly relations

By Kim Hyun

SEOUL, Aug. 5 (Yonhap) -- South Koreans are far less satisfied with their country's relations with Japan than their neighbors, and believe Tokyo should clear unresolved historical issues to improve the ties, a joint survey said Thursday.

The survey jointly conducted by Korean national broadcaster KBS and its Japanese counterpart NHK on the occasion of the centenary of Japan's annexation of Korea also revealed three out of 10 Japanese citizens are uninformed of the colonial occupation.

Sixty percent of Korean respondents said bilateral relations with their neighbor country are "not good," while the pessimistic view was voiced by 29 percent on the Japanese side. Those who found the relations "good" accounted for 39 percent in Korea, compared to 62 percent in Japan.

Views also differed on issues the neighbors should first tackle. Most Koreans (62 percent) called on Japan to abandon its territorial claim over the Korean easternmost islets of Dokdo; Japanese citizens sought "political dialogue" (37 percent) to improve bilateral ties, and efforts to resolve territorial disputes came next (27 percent).

Regarding the efforts, Koreans believe the neighbors should try to achieve consensus on their shared history (34 percent) and Japan should apologize and compensate for its occupation of Korea (26 percent). The Japanese, meanwhile, cited such solutions as economic exchanges (28 percent), cultural and sports exchanges (28 percent) and historic consensus (27 percent).

Both sides supported a free trade agreement (FTA) between the two countries (63 percent in Korea and 68 percent in Japan). Concerning North Korea, most South Koreans expressed concern about Pyongyang's nuclear program (78 percent) and the families separated by the Korean War (47 percent), while Japanese were more worried about their fellow citizens abducted by Pyongyang in past decades (79 percent) as well as the nuclear issue (72 percent).

Some Japanese citizens were not aware of Japan's 1910-45 colonial occupation of Korea. Those who said they know of the colonization accounted for 68 percent, compared to 91 percent among Koreans.

To Koreans, the Japanese people conjure up an image of being "kind" (40 percent) and "diligent" (38 percent). Japanese tended to view Koreans as "having a strong character" (28 percent) and being "emotional" (27 percent).

The first Japanese person to come to Koreans' minds was Ito Hirobumi (21 percent), who spearheaded Japan's annexation of Korea and was assassinated by Korean independence fighter Ahn Jung-geun in 1909. Former Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi (10 percent) came next, followed by figure skater Mao Asada (8 percent) and baseball player Ichiro Suzuki (6 percent).

Among South Koreans, the survey showed, the Japanese were mostly familiar with the actor and star of "Winter Sonata," Bae Yong-joon (21 percent). Some cited late former President Kim Dae-jung (8 percent), incumbent President Lee Myung-bak (7 percent) and actress Choi Ji-woo and actor Lee Byung-hun (both 4 percent).

The survey was conducted through face-to-face interviews of 1,000 South Koreans and 1,473 Japanese from late June to early July. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percent for Korea and 2.55 percent for Japan, and has a 95 percent confidence level for both.

Source: hkim@yna.co.kr yonhapnew.co.kr

August 5, 2010

Who Will Be Action Queen?

Actresses will have a showdown while performing wild action sequences in TV dramas to be aired in the second half of this year.

In the SBS TV drama “Athena: Goddess of War,” actress Soo Ae (30) and Lee Ji Ah (29) will play heroines; in the SBS TV drama “Secret Garden,” actress Ha Ji Won (32) will be a female warrior; and in the KBS 2TV drama “The Fugitive,” actress Lee Na Young will play an amazon.

7470_1484_l.jpg

7470_1485_l.jpg

The special agents in National anti-Terror Service, Soo Ae and Lee Ji Ah

Soo Ae and Lee Ji Ah will play special agents in the National anti-Terror Service (NTS) in the drama “Athena: Goddess of War,” which will begin airing in November, and they will have a head-to-head showdown in the drama. Soo Ae will play double agent Yoon Hye In, who belongs to the National anti-Terror Service (NTS) as a female profiler and also takes a role within a secret organization as a special agent. Soo Ae has revealed her pure and graceful beauty until now, but this time, she will transform into a cold-blooded killer and will perform difficult action scenes in the drama.

Lee Ji Ah will play a special agent and Yoon Hye In’s colleague, Han Jae Hee. She is a first tier special agent who had worked in the National anti-Terror Service's (NTS) branch office in Europe and comes back to the headquarters in Korea. When she appeared in MBC TV's “The Legend,” which is her debut drama, she had already been given a challenge in performing action scenes by playing the role named Soojini, and she will show off her action performances in this drama once again.

The two actresses had trained for two months in an action acting school, and they recently began filming the drama at six overseas locations starting from Italy and moving to countries like Switzerland, Singapore, New Zealand, and Japan. “Athena: Goddess of War,” which is a spin-off of last year’s original and popular drama "IRIS," will portray the remarkable activities of NTS agents fighting against the international terrorist organization called Athena. Actor Jung Woo Sung and Cha Seung Won have been cast as the male protagonists.

7470_1486_l.jpg

Ha Ji Won to perform as stunt woman

Actress Ha Ji Won has already consolidated her position as a top actress utilizing physical movement, and she is expected to transform into a stunt woman in the drama “Secret Garden,” which will be broadcast around November. The casting has not yet been decided, but the production staff members are trying to cast Ha Ji Won without considering other actresses for the role. A spokesperson for the production company said, “We are preparing for the drama having only Ha Ji Won in mind for the role, and we expect to have good news if we can adjust the filming schedule.”

At this moment, Ha Ji Won is participating in filming the 3D movie “Section 7.” When she appeared in the previous movies “Sex Is Zero” and ”Miracle On 1st Street,” she played the roles of an aerobic dancer and boxer, respectively, and she also successfully performed the action scenes in the movie “Duelist “ and the MBC TV drama “Damo.”

“Secret Garden” will portray the fantasy melodrama between the owner of a department store (Jang Hyuk) and a stunt woman named Gil Ra Im, and Ha Ji Won is expected to showcase various stunt action scenes in every episode. The spokesperson said, “We will show the stunt woman’s remarkable activities in details. As Ha Ji Won is a ‘prepared female warrior,’ we do not worry about her stunt acting.”

7470_1487_l.jpg

Unidentified official, Lee Na Young

Actress Lee Na Young will make a comeback with the KBS 2TV drama “The Fugitive,” which will begin airing at the end of September, after a six year break by playing a secret official named Jin Yi. A spokesperson for the production company said, “Jin Yi belongs to a national organization, but the title of the organization has to be kept a secret, and Jin Yi’s mission is also a secret in the drama.”

A romantic comedy action drama, “The Fugitive” will tell a story of an astronomical amount of money which had disappeared during the Korean War and resurfaced some sixty years later in 2010. Jin Yi is an unpredictable character showing off a beauty characterized by purity and sexiness at the same time. When she is chasing the vanished money, she shoots guns, fights barehanded against the enemy, and sometimes jumps from high buildings. Lee Na Young has usually played calm roles so far, but this time, she will challenge herself by performing action scenes. The drama, which has cast star actors including Rain and Daniel Henney, will film dynamic and realistic chase scenes in overseas locations such as Japan, Hong Kong, China, and Macao.

August 5, 2010

Board delays film screening for violence

For the first time, a hotly anticipated feature film produced by a major studio has been slapped by the Korea Media Ratings Board with the limited engagement rule, preventing the film from a nationwide debut.

“I Saw the Devil,” set for an Aug. 11 release was recently given the harsh ruling for several violent sequences, some of which involve cannibalism, mutilation, and specifically, a scene involving a serial killer tossing a human torso into a waste basket.

20100805001062_0.jpg

Lee Byung-hun stars in writer-director Kim Ji-woon’s controversial new film “I Saw the Devil.” Showbox

Such decisions are usually given to avant-garde or alternative independent films, but writer-director Kim Ji-woon’s (“The Good, the Bad, and the Weird”) summer tentpole thriller which stars Lee Byung-hun and veteran Choi Min-sik has been hindered by local censors for its gratuitous screen depictions of violence.

The result has pushed the scheduled press screening back to an undisclosed date, sounding off alarm bells for the film’s producers and its studio.

The production company chief, Peppermint Company’s Kim Hyun-woo said on Thursday the reason for the KMRB’s decision was not just based on the screen violence, but that it also had to do with the film’s leading men.

“We wanted to tell the story from the eyes of the audience -- to provoke the same vengeful impulses of the film’s hero through realistic portrayals of his revenge plan,” Kim said. “Because we wanted to be as real as possible, those graphic scenes were needed and perhaps the intensity of the two actors’ performances contributed to the decision by the ratings board.”

Some might see Kim’s comments as an elaborate publicity stunt carefully orchestrated by the film’s marketing team to pique public interest through stirring the media pot with controversial coverage.

“We’re now in the process of making additional edits of our first cut within the boundaries of retaining the director’s artistic vision,” said Kim. He added, “The second cut will be re-submitted to the ratings board to ensure we keep up with the original release date.”

The film follows a special agent’s (Lee) elaborate revenge scheme against a serial killer (Choi) suspected of brutally murdering his wife.

Revenge and violence have recently become the theme of the moment for the film industry with Won Bin’s “The man from nowhere” making much noise over its screen violence and the actor’s transformation from a pretty boy to a violent madman.

Since its announcement as Kim Ji-woon’s follow up to his hugely popular “The Good, the Bad, and the Weird,” “I Saw the Devil” has been one of this year’s most anticipated films.

By Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

August 5, 2010

Choung Kyung-ho to hold first meet and greet in Japan

Reporter: Lucia HongEditor: Jessica Kim

2010080513552003584_1.jpg

Korean actor Choung Kyung-ho [NOA Entertainment]

Korean actor Choung Kyung-ho will hold a meet and greet for the first time in Japan this Sunday, according to his agency NOA Entertainment on Thursday.

NOA announced in a press release that Choung will hold his first Japan fan meeting on August 8 at the IMA Hall located in Tokyo.

The actor plans on performing a song, unveil never-before-seen footage from the drama "Ja Myeong Go" and hold a hand-shaking session with fans.

"I am really excited and looking forward to meeting my Japanese fans. I am thankful that several Japanese fans came to my Korean fan meeting and it makes me happy that I am given an opportunity to meet them directly," Choung was quoted as saying, adding that he hopes to show his fans a good time.

He will also be attending a special screening and promotional event for the series "Ja Myeong Go" hosted by Japan's LaLaTV a day prior to the fan event.

LaLaTV will air the drama in mid-October as part of celebrating the tenth year of the broadcasting company. They invited Choung to introduce the series as well his feelings in starring in the show.

An official from NOA explained that Choung has already formed a fan base in Japan with his previous works such as "I'm Sorry, I Love You" and "Time of Dog and Wolf."

Choung, 28, made his debut in 2004 in the mobile drama "5 Star." He rose to stardom with his role in KBS 'international hit series "I'm Sorry, I Love" (KBS) alongside top Korean stars So Ji-sub and Lim Soo-jung.

The actor also appeared in films "All For Love" (2005), "Sunny" (2008) and "Turtle is Running" (2009).

He will arrive in Japan on August 7 and carry out with his activities for three days.

August 5, 2010

[PREVIEW] SBS TV series "My Girlfriend Is Gumiho" (1-2)

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun Photographer : Chae ki-won Editor : Lee Ji-Hye Editor : Lynn Kim

What to expect from, or worry about, Lee Seung-gi, Shin Min-ah and the Hong sisters

2010080516080667143_5.jpg

Korean actors Lee Seung-gi (left) and Shin Min-ah at the press conference for their upcoming TV series

"My Girlfriend Is Gumiho" held at SBS headquarters in Seoul, South Korea on August 4, 2010.

[photographed by Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Press conference for SBS TV series "My Girlfriend Is Gumiho"

'The Hong Sisters' are back. They joined hands with Lee Seung-gi, the so-called 'man of 100 percent viewership rating' while Shin Min-ah, who is 'not just a coffee' [as she is described in her recent TV commercial for coffee] also hopped aboard. SBS TV series "My Girlfriend Is Gumiho," which premieres August 11 at 9:55 p.m. as the follow-up Wednesday/Thursday evening drama to "Bad Boy," is neither a historical epic nor a blockbuster drama with a production budget of over 10 billion won. But it is already stirring up heated attention with the union of the abovementioned people. At the show's press conference held August 4 at SBS headquarters in Seoul's Mok-dong district, director Bu Sung-chul described "Gumiho" as "a drama that is like a total gift set which has everything -- laughter, tears and sad melodrama." Lee Seung-gi, who plays the lead role of Cha Dae-woong, remarked, "A lot of people are talking about the importance of the one-top and personal ability, but I think teamwork is the most important thing. While I was watching the World Cup this year, I realized that what surpasses fancy individual skill is excellent teamwork." If so, then under the possibility that 1+1+1 does not always end up as 3 but can drop to 0 or add up to 10, what should we expect, or worry about, the combination of Lee Seung-gi, Shin Min-ah and the Hong Sisters, who are the real stars of "Gumiho"?

1. The Hong Sisters: The same old story vs a drama as unpredictable as a rugby ball

2010080516080667143_6.jpg

Scenes from dramas written by the Hong Sisters: "Couple or Trouble" (left) and "Minamishineyo"

The sister duo of Hong Jung-eun and Hong Mi-ran, who made their debut with the 2005 KBS TV series "Delightful Girl Choon-hyang," scored consecutive hits with SBS' "My Girl" and MBC's "Couple or Trouble" to join the ranks of writers who guarantee commercial success. KBS' "Hong Gil-dong," which attempted at a new genre by fusing comedy with traditional Korean drama, and SBS' "Minamishineyo," a teen romance drama which maximized the fantasy of idol fandom, were not as commercially successful as their previous works but created a mania fan base and caused a stir, particularly on the web. The sisters' talents are creating unique female leads one has never seen before and new type of characters -- such as a con man who cons for a living, an arrogant and rude conglomerate, and a girl disguising as a man who is so innocent that she is almost a nuisance to people. They are also excellent in their ability to mix just the right amount of sensational comedy, as they were originally writers on a variety show, and elements of romance which get infinitely heartbreaking into the second half of a drama.

"Gumiho" is about an immature rich boy, who lost his parents at a young age and was raised by his grandmother and aunt, accidentally releasing Gumiho from a scroll painting that is several hundred years old and eventually falling in love with her while spending time with her in a rooftop house. The story came from the lively imagination that is a characteristic unique of the Hong Sisters. The dialogue between Cha Dae-woong (played by Lee Seung-gi) and Gumiho (played by Shin Min-ah) -- best represented by the lines "No cow (beef) today" and "Shut up, before I eat you up!" -- clearly displays the ironic situation of the male lead being frightened of his 'frighteningly pretty' girlfriend. The character Eun Hae-in (played by Park Soo-jin), the first love of Cha Dae-woong who is "hateful and like a human fox," looks to faithfully fulfill the sub-female lead role who will persistently interfere with the two leads, just like the characters Oh Yu-kyung (played by Park Han-byul) in "Couple or Trouble" or Kim Se-hyun (played by Park Si-yeon) in "My Girl." Actor Byun Hee-bong, who was cast as Seol Gong-chan(played by Lee Dong-wook)'s strict grandfather in a conglomerate family in "My Girl," appears in "Gumiho" as a wealthy grandfather with a lot of real estate who wants to raise Cha Dae-woong strictly.

The middle-aged romance that well served an indispensable role in "My Girl" and "Couple or Trouble" will also be played out in "Gumiho" through the characters Ban Doo-hong (played by Sung Dong-il), who dreams of being the "middle-aged Chow Yun-fat," and Cha Dae-woong's girl-like aunt Cha Min-sook (played by Yoon Yoo-sun). If "Delightful Girl Choon-hyang" had the couple who were friends with the main characters, then in "Gumiho," Dae-woong's friends Kim Byung-soo (played by Kim Ho-chang) and Ban Seon-nyeo (played by Hyo-min) suggest a sub-plot in the story. This indicates that the sisters will play out the best kind of story that they can and tell in the most effective way but, at the same time, it will also bring a certain amount of deja vu to viewers who have been watching their dramas over the years. Hong Mi-ran has said that she wishes "other people would enjoy watching what we find entertaining rather than [us] obsessing about showing viewers that we are improving" while Hong Jung-eun remarked that she wants to "write a drama that is, like a rugby ball, unpredictable in where it will bounce to next." How will their new series "Gumiho" turn out?

What to expect from, or worry about, Lee Seung-gi, Shin Min-ah and the Hong sisters

2. Lee Seung-gi: The man of 100 percent viewership rating VS another role as immature rich boy

2010080516370985239_1.jpg

Korean singer and actor Lee Seung-gi

Although it has been over a year since he starred in SBS TV series "Shining Inheritance," which recorded a viewership rating of over 40 percent, Lee Seung-gi is still considered a guarantee for high ratings as his regular variety show appearances -- in KBS' "One Night Two Days" and SBS' "Steel Heart" -- continue to score solid figures. However, it is up against some pretty stiff competition; KBS TV series "Bread, Love And Dream" keeps renewing its viewership ratings, which might score as high as "Shining Inheritance"; its follow-up "Domangja s1" also has high expectations with its producers who made "The Slave Hunters" and fancy cast that includes Rain and Lee Na-young; and MBC's "Itazura na Kiss" will go on air in early September with fellow young star Kim Hyun-joong in the lead role.

But what is important for Lee Seung-gi is not whether the series succeeds but whether he can show viewers his new potential as an actor through "Gumiho." After playing an immature Mama's boy (in KBS TV series "Famous Seven Princesses") and spoiled rich boy ("Shining Inheritance"), Lee has been cast for the role of a rich boy named Cha Dae-woong who dreams of becoming an action star. He explained that he felt no pressure about the transformation, saying his previous roles "could seem similar if you just describe them as 'immature' but so many different things can come out of them. If [Lee's character] Sun Woo Hwan in 'Shining Inheritance' was an incredibly serious person, then my character in 'Gumiho' has a lot of comic, adorable sides to him so they will be completely different characters." Lee has said that he has been studying the character with the writers since receiving the synopsis around the end of last year, and "reflected my own traits because I also like funny stuff and maximized the facial expressions and talking speed in a comical way." He added that it helped that he had learned for three months how to do wire actions and martial arts for a production he had been preparing for in the past. Could Lee Seung-gi's efforts broaden his scope of acting by a notch in "Gumiho," which has "all the elements of comedy, melodrama and action but no eroticism?"

3. Shin Min-ah: Korea's top television commercial star VS actress with no signature work

2010080516370985239_2.jpg

Korean actress Shin Min-ah in a TV commercial (left) and with Lee Seung-gi

Shin Min-ah is a star. She has starred in numerous television dramas, films and mega-scale television commercials. The August 3 episode of SBS' "Steel Heart" also revolved around Shin Min-ah. However, at the press conference for "Gumiho," one reporter remarked that "some people are criticizing that you haven't been faithful to your original job because you haven't done films or dramas for quite a while and just appeared in television commercials." To which Shin answered, "I did two films last year. I have always been making movies but it just seems that way because the commercials outnumber the movies," indicating that Shin Min-ah's presence as an actress is not as strong as her star power. It also goes to show that despite starring in over ten films and six dramas including the notable KBS TV series "The Lucifer" and film "A Bittersweet Life," there is no one film or drama that one can immediately associate with the name 'Shin Min-ah.'

That is why it seems like it is the perfect opportunity for Shin Min-ah to have met a story written by the Hong Sisters, whose specialty lies in emphasizing a unique, adorable female character in their drama. Her character "Gumiho" obstinately whines to Cha Dae-wong, "Buy me some meat! I really really want to eat meat. Buy me a cow, please?" and turns angry when he doesn't comply with her complaints. Shin Min-ah explained, "Unlike the 'gumiho' [a fox with nine tails] in the legend, she has an innocence like a newborn baby. She has big movements, which are so big that I worry they might be too over-the-top. And she expresses her emotions honestly, so I think a lot about the actions of my six-year-old niece when I act. In the second half of the show, she is even placed in a sad situation and I want to play her so that Gumiho, who wants to become a human being, will seem adorable." Could Shin Min-ah be more than the 'pretty woman' inside a commercial and become a female lead who is loved?

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun five@ Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ , Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

2010080517475948733_1.jpg

Actress Shin Min-ah poses during a photo session of a press conference for upcoming SBS TV series "My Girlfriend Is Gumiho" held at SBS 'headquarters in Seoul's Mok-dong district of Seoul, South Korea on August 4, 2010.

2010080517445529850_1.jpg

Actor Lee Seung-gi poses during a photo session of a press conference for upcoming SBS TV series "My Girlfriend Is Gumiho" held at SBS 'headquarters in Seoul's Mok-dong district of Seoul, South Korea on August 4, 2010.

Photographer: Chae ki-won ten @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3 l 4

August 5, 2010

Kim Bum attracts thousands to fan event in Thailand

2010080516061857518_1.jpg

Korean actor Kim Bum at his fan meeting in Thailand [King Kong Entertainment]

Korean actor Kim Bum, who is currently holding a fan tour throughout Asia, met with his fans in Thailand last week, according to his agency King Kong Entertainment on Thursday.

King Kong announced in a press release that Kim held a press conference attended by some 3,000 fans and reporters at Siam Paragon in Bangkok on July 30 and signed autographs as well as performing in front of about 1,500 fans at the official fan meeting the following day.

The actor also prepared a special performance with a band for the fan event, singing song "Confession" from the soundtrack of MBC's drama "Still, Marry Me" and pop songs "Creep" and "Bad Case of Loving You."

On July 30, Kim visited King of Thailand, Bhumibol Adulyadej, who has been hospitalized for the flu and pneumonia since June. "I was in Thailand for my fan meeting when I heard the news that the King was ill. I wish him a fast recovery," the actor was quoted as saying.

Kim, 20, has starred in several dramas and movies since making his debut in 2006. He is well-known for his roles in "High Kick" and "Boys Over Flowers" alongside Korean stars Ku Hye-sun and Lee Min-ho.

The actor has been visiting various countries in Asia, including Taiwan and China, while on tour. He will be arriving in Indonesia later on today for his first fan meeting in the country scheduled for August 7.

August 5, 2010

Jang Dong-gun, Song Hye-kyo Top Plastic Surgery Templates

The chiseled features of actors Jang Dong-gun and Song Hye-kyo are the most popular models for plastic surgery, a straw poll suggests. Job search site Career polled 638 workers and the biggest group of men chose Jang and biggest group of women Song.

Jang was chosen by 25.1 percent, followed by 19.2 percent who wanted to look like Jung Woo-sung. Zo In-sung and So Ji-sub followed with 14.7 and 12.1 percent, trailed by Lee Seung-gi (9.8), Kim Nam-gil (8.1), and Nichkhun (5.9) from boy band 2PM.

Among women, 23 percent picked Song, and 17.5 percent chose Han Ga-in. Son Ye-jin and Kim Tae-hee were third and fourth with 14.5 and 11.5 percent.

2010080500989_0.jpg

Jang Dong-gun (left) and Song Hye-kyo

Some 11.9 percent of the respondents said they had or plan to have plastic surgery in the summer vacations this year. Nearly half said they had surgery for the sake of a better chance at promotion or a better job. In a multiple-answer question, 71.6 percent of the respondents answered the purpose of plastic surgery is to boost confidence and self-satisfaction. Some 56.9 percent said they had or would have surgery for marriage or to find love, while 47.4 percent said surgery did or would bring smoother interpersonal relationships.

In another multiple-answer question, 27.6 percent said they would most want plastic surgery on their eyes, and 21.6 percent on their nose. Facial contours or jaw line were chosen by 19 percent, skin and wrinkle care by 18, liposuction by 15.5 and dental braces by 14.7 percent.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

August 6, 2010

Won Bin transforms from icon to actor

05212737.jpg

Tae-sik (Won Bin) resolves to save the neighbor girl who is his only connection

to the world in the film ‘Ajeossi’ (‘The Man from Nowhere’). Provided by CJ Entertainment

Good actors are able to blur the line between themselves and their characters in order to make the audience believe they have become a different person.

Rarely is a pop culture icon able to achieve this level of artistry, but that’s exactly what Won Bin does in his latest movie, “Ajeossi” (“The Man from Nowhere”).

That’s not to say Won hasn’t gotten good reviews for his work. He received mostly rave reviews for his role as the developmentally disabled son in the award-winning film, “Mother” (2009).

His counterpart Kim Hye-ja, however, the veteran actress with a 30-year career who played the title character, outshined him. Even after his success in Mother, Won was less a serious actor than an entertainer whose ability to attract attention was largely a result of his surrealistically perfect looks.

Needless to say, doubts persisted whether the plot of Ajeossi would be able to keep the audience intrigued for the nearly two-hour running time, and whether Won would turn in another passable yet passion-less performance. After seeing Ajeossi, however, there is no doubt that Won is more than just a pretty face. He has proven himself an actor who can express a range of different emotions.

In the film, Won plays Tae-sik, a former special agent who isolates himself from the world by locking himself up in his dark and run-down pawn shop. His only connection with the outside world is through a little girl named So-mi (Kim Sae-ron), who lives next door.

Tae-sik is a man of few words, and although he seems to be indifferent to the little girl, whose mother works as a nightclub dancer and is not a very attentive parent, he looks after her. Tae-sik is forced back into the world when So-mi and her mother are kidnapped by members of a drug-trafficking ring for which her mother has been working on the side.

The film draws the viewer in by showing us why Tae-sik risks his life to save the little girl. After the death of his wife and unborn child, Tae-sik feels he has nothing left to lose. He even says in one scene that he “only thinks of today, not tomorrow,” which allows him to act so ruthlessly when killing the people who stand between him and So-mi.

However, Won’s meaty performance is what carries this compelling story. Whenever the camera zooms in on Won’s eyes, his grief, sadness and feelings of loss are as acutely felt as if they were our own. The film also has some great action scenes that provide relief from the intensity of the more emotional moments. These are not the typically gratuitous action scenes found in Hollywood blockbusters; rather they are marked by their compactness, which is simple yet intense.

Director Lee Jeong-bum once said he had tried to avoid cliched action scenes, such as those in which the good guy and bad guy exchange blows while the other villains wait their turn to punch the hero. Although the film touches upon disturbing topics such as drugs and child trafficking, while including a fair share of violence, the film is not always serious. There are enough lighthearted moments here to give us time to pause in the midst of all the fast-paced action.

But the biggest virtue of the film is its focus on Tae-sik’s transformation and the emotional catharsis he experiences when he finally lets go of all of his repressed feelings. That approach wouldn’t have worked as well without Won, who pulls us along with him every step of the way.

By Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.com

August 6, 2010

"Bread, Love and Dreams" smashes 40 precent mark

2010080608510123244_1.jpg

No. 1 show in the country "Bread, Love and Dreams" [KBS]

KBS 'baking drama "Bread, Love and Dreams" drew in more audiences this week, breaking the 40 percent mark on both TV charts for the first time since airing in early June.

Figures from TNmS (Total National Multimedia Statistics) on Friday revealed that "Bread" scored ratings of 42.5 percent on August 4 and rose by 1.9 percent the next night, making it the No. 1 show in the country for the ninth consecutive week.

AGB Nielsen Media Research also indicated that the show breached the 40 percent line with viewership ratings of 39.5 percent on Wednesday and 40.5 percent on Thursday.

This week's episode showed the reunion of Tak-koo (Yoon Si-yoon) and Yoo-kyung (Kim Eugene) after two years.

Meanwhile, SBS '"Bad Boy" came in second place with ratings in the eight to ten percent range on both charts and MBC's war epic "Road No. 1" trailed far behind with ratings in the five percent range.

Archived