[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

July 28, 2010

Actor Begs for Privacy Over Romance with Fellow Actress

The actor Oh Man-seok, who has admitted a romantic relationship with fellow thespian Jo Ahn, on Tuesday begged fans to leave him alone. At a press event for the musical "Toxic Hero," Oh said, "I am grateful for all of the attention, but there are times when I feel burdened by it. It is a very private matter and I hope that others can respect that."

He added his busy schedule has made it tough for him to meet Jo very often.

The two met while filming a soap opera for KBS that ended in January. They became close and their friendship at last grew into romance. Rumors of their relationship spread when Jo was spotted with Oh and his daughter by his ex-wife at a park in Anyang. The two admitted their relationship after they were caught together on vacation in Japan.

2010072800621_1.jpg

Oh Man-seok (left) and Jo Ahn

"Toxic Hero" is a Korean adaptation of the Broadway comedy musical "Toxic Avenger" based on the 1985 movie of the same title. The Broadway show premiered in 2009.

"I think the humor will depend on how well American-style comedy adapts to Korean tastes," Oh said. The show is at the KT&G Sang Sang Arts Hall in Seoul from Aug. 14 to Oct. 10.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

July 28, 2010

(Movie Review)

'The Man From Nowhere' delivers but has little at heart

By Kim Hyun

SEOUL, July 28 (Yonhap) -- In the action flick "The Man From Nowhere," Won Bin sheds his image as a suave flower boy and transforms into a mysterious stud who, donning a black suit and shaggy, overgrown hair, can kill anyone without blinking an eye.

He slits open the throats of evil men, smashes their heads, sprays bullets and jumps out of a building and into a racing car. But why, and to what end? The movie by Lee Jeong-bum offers an engaging story charged with arduous action scenes and a speedy narrative for those with a taste for the extreme, but it is hardly the emotionally touching piece the director might have meant it to be.

201007271841391003_1.jpg

The film revolves around Tae-shik (Won), a former special agent and widower who now runs a drab pawn shop in a back alley in Seoul. What binds him to such a somber life is not explained at the beginning of the film, but it's a young girl named So-mi (Kim Sae-ron) who awakens in him the tormenting memories of his lost family, prompting him to confront the outside world again.

A troubled, lonesome girl living with a single mother who works in a red-light district, So-mi is the only friend to Tae-shik, who doesn't mix or socialize with any of his neighbors. Their nascent friendship is tested when So-mi's mother becomes involved in a drug deal and is kidnapped by the thugs behind the scheme. So-mi is also taken captive, and there begins Tae-shik's long, grueling chase to rescue his only friend.

The drug dealers happen to be connected to a human trafficking ring that engages internationally in the trade of human organs, a point that makes the action film partially surreal and overly brutal. Tae-shik is portrayed as an invincible terminator, who never loses composure as he evades bullet sprays and wipes out dozens of thugs at once. In one of the battle scenes, a Thai thug (Thanayong Wongtrakul) strangely leaves the unarmed Tae-shik alive, while shooting dead his injured colleague instead. Asked about this unconvincing generosity, the thug later answered that he spared Tae-shik's life because "he didn't flinch."

Some scenes are deliberately brutal and disgusting -- a pair of eyeballs floating in a glass bottle -- and they sometimes feel like an over-the-top device set up to fill the void at the heart of the story. As dead bodies pile up, police officers join the chase, naming Tae-shik as a key suspect of the criminal rings. Their investigation reveals the mysteries that torment his past and explains why the death of his pregnant wife shut him off from the outside world. The director possibly intended for the tragic loss to explain Tae-shik's urge to risk his life to save So-mi and how their emotional bond builds, but the link somehow looks weak and is left to viewers' imaginations. Audiences may even nod and long to hear Tae-shik's answer when one of the thugs asks him, "Why are you trying so hard to rescue a girl next door?"

Overall, the movie is an entertaining feat in which Won emits his charm, but its extreme violence will distract those who yearn to be moved at heart.

"The Man From Nowhere," rated over 18 and produced by Opus Pictures, is set for local release on Aug. 4.

Source: hkim@yna.co.kr yonhapnews

July 28, 2010

Shin Sung Rok: ‘Middle Aged Women Fans Have Increased’

The “syndrome of younger man” has become popular again, and this time it comes from actor Shin Sung Rok’s popularity (28).

Shin Sung Rok is gaining popularity in SBS TV’s weekend drama ”Definitely Neighbors” by playing an attractive and charismatic young chef named Gun Hee,who loves divorced older woman Ji Young (Yoo Ho Jung).

He has already become a star actor in musical performances, but he could not distinguish himself in TV dramas, but he finally attracted female viewers’ eyes and became the most attractive man by appearing in the drama “Definitely Neighbors.”

7460_1436_l.jpg

Shin Sung Rok was interviewed by a reporter recently in the musical hall of “Story of My Life,” in which he appears. He said, “The number of my middle aged women fans has increased; most of all, I am happy because more older audience members have come to watch the musical.” He smiled and continued, “Usually, female audience members in their twenties and thirties have come to see my performance so far, but, these days, they are taking their mothers with them, which is very unusual. Actually, some young women are just coming to the hall not because they are my fans, but because their mothers like me. In addition, more people recognize me on the street and, above all, middle aged women mostly recognized me on the street and sometimes some of them shyly came up to me like a little girl.”

Since he made debut in 2003, he has worked in musicals, dramas, and movies all at the same time, and these days, he is appearing in both the drama “Definitely Neighbors” and in the musical “Story of My Life,” and releasing his energy. The musical “Story of My Life” is a two-hander performance and it is about looking back to the meaning of friendship and our lives with the main actor and bestseller writer Thomas’s visit to his old friend in his hometown.

Shin said, “I have to join the army next year, so I want to perform in as many works as possible. But, after I reach my thirties, I will never play in two different works at the same time. I want to concentrate on only one role more deeply. But, it does not necessarily mean that I have done two works with less sincerity. What I mean is that I have gratified my desire to work in many

performances in my twenties, but I want to work with more composure in my thirties.”

The drama “Definitely Neighbors” has been gaining huge popularity as it has exceeded 20 percent in viewer ratings. The drama is now at its climax with the love story between Gun Hee and Ji Young. The character Gun Hee, who loves a divorced older single mother, is taking the responsibility for the high viewer ratings. Shin said, “Maybe Gun Hee is younger than Ji young, as much as eight to nine years younger. In fact, I am thirteen years old younger than Yoo Ho Jung. But, I have not felt anything regarding the age gap until now. The character Gun Hee whom I play is a very attractive man, and he is actually not a ‘prince charming,’ but rather a very realistic person, so I wanted to play the character. In the first part of the drama, Gun Hee had been very mean to Ji Young, and they had argued. But, Gun Hee, who has high self-esteem and ceaseless desire to do his work, found out something that he could not have from Ji Young, so he has been interested in her and finally become attracted to her. While he was paying attention to Ji Young’s innate sense of taste and talent and trying to develop her ability, he ended up falling in love with her.”

7460_1437_l.jpg

But the story of Gun Hee that the most attractive husband candidate loves Ji Young is more like “Fantasy” than "Reality.” How does he play the character and with what kind of feelings?

Shin Sung Rok answered the question by saying, “Of course, I have to act with Gun Hee’s mind, otherwise, I cannot focus on his feelings in the drama. Yoo Ho Jung is a very good actress, so I am very comfortable about acting with her, and I have not been confused about the character while acting so far maybe because there has not been a love scene. If I had to act like a completely different character from me, I might have looked awkward, but many parts of Gun Hee are actually very similar to myself. My first girlfriend, whom I had gone out in high school, was five years older than me. My blood type is A, which usually means a timid person, but I do have a disposition of the blood type B, so sometimes I throw awful tantrums like Gun Hee.” He smiled.

He had wanted to become an actor since he was a high school student, but appearing in a drama or in movie was difficult. He said, “Directors were reluctant to cast a 187 centimeter-tall aspiring actor as a supporting or minor role, and finding a main actor role was even more difficult. I thought that I might be able to have a chance if I build up my acting ability, so I moved to theater acting. I started to act in the drama company Hakchon. When I acted in my third theater work “Dracula,” I had been cast in the drama “Hyena,” and I could finally advance to the TV drama.”

7460_1438_l.jpg

After that, he acted in dramas such as “Thank You” and “My Life's Golden Years,” and movies such as “Lovers of 6 Years” and “The Age of Innocence,” but he could not have the “opportunity to become successful." He also had appeared on the MBC TV entertainment program “We got Married” as a couple with female comedian Kim Shin Young, but their harmony had not been enough to make them famous.

But he finally started to receive favorable responses from his musical performances. He appeared in musical works such as “Romeo and Juliet,””Finding Kim Jong Wook,”” Monte Cristo,” and “My Scary Girl,” and he has evolvedas a star actor on the musical stage. Then he took on his current role in the drama “Definitely Neighbors.”

He finally said, “Since my debut, I have consistently appeared in many works without taking a rest. I think that I have done well as I was neither too outstanding, nor did I go unnoticed. But, as an actor, I have a desire to become more successful in my performances. I think that I have shown some degree of potential so far and I could obtain good feelings from viewers, but the more important thing is that I have to make viewers develop their good feelings and their trust towards me and make them always stand by my side.”

Source: KBS Global

July 28, 2010

Jang Jin-young's Widower Reveals Their Wedding Photos

2010072800830_0.jpg

Kim Young-kyun, the widower of the late actress Jang Jin-young, has unveiled some photos of Jang to mark the first anniversary of their marriage.

Kim wrote on his blog on Monday, "I have posted some of photos of our wedding to mark our first anniversary." They were married in a church in Las Vegas on July 26 last year.

"I think these will probably be the last photos of Jin-young that I can show you. I hope all of her fans remember her for a long time," he wrote.

Jang died of stomach cancer last September at the age of 36. Kim has published an essay that recounts her last days. He also revealed last month a video clip of their wedding ceremony, at an altar in Bundang, Gyeonggi Province where her remains are kept.

The late actress Jang’s wedding photos disclosed

100728_pm_jang.jpg

The husband of the late actress Jang Jin-young unveiled their wedding pictures to help her fans be reminded of her.

Kim Young-kyun on Sunday posted eight wedding photos on his homepage that had yet to be disclosed to the public.

“I have posted some pictures to commemorate [his and Jang’s] wedding anniversary,” he said. “These pictures will probably be the last ones of Jin-young that I can show.” He also left a touching message, ‘Please do not forget her forever.”

The couple held their wedding in a church within the vicinity of Las Vegas on July 26t last year. The wedding pictures show that Jang was wearing a pure white dress and holding a bouquet of bright red roses in a radiant smile that lit her face with joy.

In the photo with the couple’s shared kiss, anyone could see that Jang looked as though she was the happiest bride alive. Only her thin frame dampened the festival mood for her fans. Seen in other photos are the officiating pastor and the couples’ friends who make well-wishing gestures.

Upon viewing the photos, netizens said they “felt blue.” They left comments that solaced Kim and Jung, such as: “One year has passed by already,” “Jang in her wedding dress brings out beauty incomparable to other brides,” “She, who has left to a faraway place, is missed” and “I wish for both to reminisce your love for ever.”

Jang passed away last September at the age of 36, fighting stomach cancer.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

July 28, 2010

PiFan wraps up ride of "Love, Fantasy and Adventure"

Editor : Jessica Kim

2010072816082856040_1.jpg

Korean director Jang Cheol-su gives his acceptance speech after winning the prize for Puchon Choice Feature, equivalent of best feature picture, for "Bedevilled" at the Puchon International Fantastic Film Festiva's closing ceremony on July 23, 2010. [PiFan]

The 14th Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival (PiFan) wrapped up over the weekend after a closing ceremony on Friday followed by two additional days of post-screening for special and encore runs of the fest's award-winning films.

Although this year's PiFan was the first run by newly appointed Festival Director Kim Young-bin, the 11-day fest held under the theme of "Love, Fantasy and Adventure" was received favorably for its wide variety of services for the audience and stable operation.

Participants of PiFan's industry program the Network of Asian Fantastic Films (NAFF) in particular, ranging from investors to producers to directors, applauded Asia's largest genre film festival.

This year's NAFF attracted attention and was commended for the relatively high standard of projects presented at the It Project genre film market, its timely spotlight on the Taiwanese film industry and a first-time introduction to Swiss design incorporated in Hollywood films.

However, some also pointed out that the screenings should have taken the balance of countries into more consideration. This year's PiFan put excessive weight on Japanese films in terms of selections for Asian films, proving to be short to look into the overall aspect of genre film in Asia in general.

In particular, it barely shed light onto China's rapidly growing commercial genre film market and despite Taiwan projects selected as the country to receive the spotlight at this year's fest and over 30 Taiwanese visiting the country, the lack of various genre films recently popular in Hong Kong containing elements of fantasy were nowhere to be seen.

The most popular film at the closing event was Korean director Jang Cheol-su's "Bedevilled," a feature about a serial killing case occurring on a small island, which had garnered attention when revealed for the first time at the International Critic's Week of this year's Cannes Film Festival. It had also been nominated for the Camera d'Or Prize.

At Bucheon, "Bedevilled" competed in the Puchon Choice Feature category, raking in three titles including Best of Puchon for best picture of the year, Best Actress with Seo Yeong-hee and the Fujifilm Eterna Award handed to the best Korean independent feature film by Fuji Film.

Past Puchon Choice Award winners have been popular amongst the domestic audience and lodged respectable results on the local box office. Hence, the release date for "Bedevilled" has yet to be set but Jang's directorial debut pic may be headed toward becoming the next 'discovery' of the Korean film industry.

At the post-screening carried on into the weekend, Jury's Choice award claimer "Confessions" by Japanese filmmaker Tetsuya Nakashima and "Fire of Conscience," a movie starring Best Actor recipient Richie Jen, a Hong Kong singer and actor, met with the audience again over the weekend.

Nakashima, of hit films "Kamikaze Girls" and "Memories of Matsuko," has many fans in Korea and his latest pic "Paco and the Magical Picture Book" started its run in Korea on July 22.

"Fire of Conscience," an action thriller about an incident which occurs when a detective gets involved in the murder of a prostitute, became talked about for its two main characters including rising star Jen and Leo Lai. Director Dante Lam won the award for best director at last year's PiFan with "The Beast Stalker."

PiFan 2010 Official Competition Awards

▶ Puchon Choice Short: Official Competition

- Citizen’s Choice for Short Film: "Melt Down" (Director David GREEN)

- Best Korean Short Film (KRW 5,000,000): "Rail" (Director MYUNG Bae Young)

- Jury’s Choice for Short Film (KRW 3,000,000): "St. Christophorus: Roadkill" (Director Gregor ERLER)

- Best Short Film (KRW 5,000,000): "PLAY" (Director David KAPLAN)

▶ Puchon Choice Feature: Official Competition

- Prugio Citizen’s Choice: "Gintama The Movie" (Director TAKAMATSU Shinji)

- Jury’s Choice: "Confessions" (Director NAKASHIMA Tetsuya)

- Best Actress: SEO Yeong Hee, "Bedevilled"

- Best Actor: Richie JEN, "Fire of Conscience"

- Best Director: Gareth EDWARDS, "Monsters"

- Best of Puchon: "Bedevilled" (Director JANG Cheol Su)

▶ Fujifilm Eterna Award

- "Bedevilled" (Director JANG Cheol Su)

▶ Netpac Award

- "Permanent Nobara" (Director YOSHIDA Daihachi)

▶ European Fantastic Film Festival Asian Award (EFFFF)

- "Bestseller" (Director LEE Jeong Ho)

2010072816082856040_2.jpg

American director David Kaplan gives his acceptance speech after winning the prize for Puchon Choice Shorts, equivalent to best short picture, for "Play" at the Puchon International Fantastic Film Festiva's closing ceremony on July 23, 2010. [PiFan]

Contributing Reporter : Gloria Kim Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

35th_tiff.gifOfficial Website: tiff.net

July 28, 2010

Korean pics "Housemaid," "Devil" invited to Toronto film fest

Reporter: Lucia Hong Editor: Jessica Kim

28_76422.jpg

Korean films "The Housemaid" and "I Saw the Devil" have been invited to this year's Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) in Canada, according to the official website of the fest on Wednesday.

"Housemaid," about a young maid hired to work for a wealthy family, will be screened for the first time ever in North America under the Galas program of the fest. The category recognizes films that are noteworthy of winning awards and are making their world or North American premiere.

The officials from the festival explained that "Housemaid" takes a satirical look on class structure, comparing the picture to "La ceremonie" by famed French director Claude Chabrol.

Miro Vision, which handles the overseas distribution for "Housemaid," had recently closed a US distribution deal with IFC Films to release the film overseas sometime around the end of this year or early next year.

The pic, a remake of a 1960s classic erotic thriller by late director Kim Ki-young, premiered at the 63rd Cannes Film Festival in May, where it also swept up six deals at its film market.

The modern adaptation helmed by Im Sang-soo, stars 2007 Cannes best actress award-winner Jeon Do-youn, Lee Jung-jae and veteran actress Yoon Yeo-jung.

Korean thriller "I Saw the Devil" has been invited to the Canadian film event under the Special Presentations segment, where major films from famous directors are shown.

"Devil" is helmed by noted filmmaker Kim Ji-woon, whose previous movies include "A Bittersweet Life" (2005) and "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" (2008), and stars top Korean actors Lee Byung-hun and Choi Min-sik.

The action thriller pic, which will premiere in local theaters on August 11, is about a secret agent (Lee) who plots revenge against a serial killer (Choi) who killed his fiancee.

The Toronto International Film Festival, a ten day event, is a non-competitive public film festival to run from September 9 to 19 this year.

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

July 29, 2010

"Maid" and "Saw The Devil" Invited To The Toronto International Film Festival

e_100729_01.jpg

Korean films are gaining more attention abroad with each passing year. Both of the films "Maid" and "Saw The Devil" will be included in this year's Toronto International Film Festival.

The movie "Maid" -- which stars Jeon Do-hyun and was directed by Im Sang-soo -- is seeing it's second international event as it was also included in the most recent Cannes Film Festival. Seven separate distributors competed to win the right to show the film in North America. US-based IFC Films won the bid and there are high expectations for the movie to do well at the box office when it finally premieres. At the Toronto International Film Festival, "Maid" was invited to be shown in one of the main categories while "Saw The Devil" will be shown in the Special Presentation section. This will mark the first time the latter film, starring Lee Byung-hun and Choi Min-shik, is shown in North America.

The Toronto International Film Festival will be running from September 9-19. This festival is considered to be within the top four film festivals in the world, along with the likes of the Cannes, Berlin, and Venice film festivals.

July 28, 2010

The next serving of 'hallyu'?

By Han Sang-hee

Staff reporter

pasta_01(1).jpg

A poster for MBC drama "Pasta" / Courtesy of MBC

The word "hallyu," or Korean wave, first appeared in the late 1990s, and it has been growing within the local entertainment industry over the years.

The word, which referred to the popularity of Korean culture around the world, has now become a representative term when explaining and defining Korean culture. It refers to almost all cultural aspects_ from drama, music, food to fashion_ and as much as Korea would like to see some effects in other parts of the world, it certainly impacts the entire region of Asia.

hallyu_0728_02.jpg

As multi-cultural exchange has been a common global phenomenon, Korea and its people need to keep an open and proactive attitude when examining and dealing with the current state of the hallyu.

Is the wave waning?

The biggest contributor of hallyu would be dramas, and this has not changed since the first generation of hallyu television series such as "Winter Sonata" (2002, KBS) and "Jewel in the Palace" (2003, MBC). They are still a favorite among fans and buyers, and one of the most important exports Korea must keep an eye on.

"One of the first dramas (was) 'Jewel in the Palace.' I remember (when) everybody started watching it. It introduced (us to) Korea," said Richard Lee, head of Chinese entertainment network China Entertainment TV or CETV, told The Korea Times during an interview last week.

hallyu_0728_03.jpg

The wave brought Korean culture closer to the Asian audience, helping them understand better about the country that was known as the "land of the morning calm" alongside its spicy side dish kimchi.

The hallyu hype certainly helped Korea stand out from other Asian nations, but now many have started to question if the wave is still making its way to the households of such countries. Culture critics and experts have joined together to discuss the next step through seminars and meetings, while some local stars have started to pay regular visits to places like China for joint projects and promotions.

A number of factors affected the downfall, including financial problems and stricter regulations by some countries.

"After the huge craze for local dramas in 2004 and 2005, there have been rumors and analysis that hallyu has died down recently. In terms of sales, the overall number has dropped, but the interest other countries have still remains intact. It would be safer to say that hallyu has been increasing steadily, instead of going through drastic jumps as it did in the past. That’s what is causing all the worries," said Lee Hyo-young, head of International Business department at KBS Media.

hallyu_0728_04.jpg

In the case of Taiwan, however, the last three years saw a steep downfall. As one of the biggest buyers, Taiwan had to lessen their purchases due to economic recessions for three years from 2006, but as the economy picked up, the demand for Korean dramas soon followed. "Having well-made and popular works such as 'Boys Over Flowers' (KBS) and 'My Wife is a Superwoman' (MBC) also helped attract the usually stingier buyers and audience," Lee added.

Another big factor in the Chinese market is its strict censorship and restrictions.

In 2006, the Chinese government announced that it was restricting the hours of foreign dramas being aired in China, leaving local drama productions and networks in dismay.

hallyu_0728_05.jpg

The government recently announced that it was lifting the regulations for Korean dramas, further searching for a way to exchange ideas, production know-how and overall tips from local companies, which will hopefully help everyone in the long run.

"From 2006 to 2009, there were mostly Taiwanese dramas (being aired) in China because of restrictions. But now, (China) has started to show vast interest again in Korean works and now we have plans to air as many dramas as possible," Nicholas Hong, Korea representative of CETV, said.

Getting back on track

Ups and downs of sales in dramas and music are inevitable, especially when fans and the audience can find something new every day through the Internet.

Promoting idols both for dramas and music can be a smart way to attract fans, according to CETV head Lee, but it has to be done more aggressively.

"Everybody thinks Korea is the trend now. Rain and 2PM are fashion icons. Many brands hire Korean idols as their spokespeople and this is a big thing. I would ask fashion buyers from China, Hong Kong and Taipei and they say they all come to Korea to shop," he said.

"China is a huge place and nobody can get popular in one or two years. It could take five or 10 years for the entire country to know (who you are). Even with dramas, you have to take it from place to place and make people talk about it. You need promotions, and you need the stars to get involved so people want to know about them," he further advised.

Music can be trickier than dramas. Unlike dramas, where you must sit, watch a couple of episode and learn the story, music doesn’t take much time to tell if you like it or not. And if the song is in a foreign language, it becomes harder to connect with it. "(Korean) music is something I would like to promote, but it takes time," Lee said.

"If Madonna sings in Chinese or in Korean, will it work? No, but we all listen to Madonna because it's the whole (package). I think music idols are very restricted to their own Seoul market. They have to step out and promote themselves (more aggressively). Get more people to know who they are," he added.

hallyu_0728_06.jpg

Aside from Korean stars and idols, the quality of dramas is also an important factor in keeping the hallyu going. Unlike other Asian countries, local productions have seen a variety of storylines and subjects, from housewives ("My Wife is a Superwoman"), wine ("Terroir," 2008, SBS), fashion ("Style," 2009, SBS), to even Italian food ("Pasta," 2010, MBC).

"Korea has a wide choice of content, which is very similar to the United States. They do dare to try new things. They are not only working for their own market, but they are working for other markets like China and Hong Kong. Dramas like 'Style' and 'Temptation of Wife' are things you cannot find in a lot of places. Content is the difference," Lee explained.

Source: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

July 28, 2010

[PHOTO] "Gloria" Press Conference

2010072821163588529_1.jpg

Actress Bae Doo-na poses during a photo session of a press conference for upcoming weekend drama "Gloria" at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on July 28, 2010.

2010072821163588529_2.jpg

Bae Doo-na [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

2010072821133686082_1.jpg

Actor Lee Chun-hee poses during a photo session of a press conference for upcoming weekend drama "Gloria" at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on July 28, 2010.

2010072821133686082_2.jpg

Lee Chun-hee [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

From top down, actors Seo Ji-suk, Lee Jong-won, So E-hyun and Oh Hyun-kyung pose during a photo session of a press conference for upcoming weekend drama "Gloria" at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on July 28, 2010.

2010072821060270123_1.jpg

Seo Ji-suk [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

2010072821060270123_2.jpg

Lee Jong-won [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

2010072821060270123_3.jpg

So E-hyun [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

2010072821060270123_4.jpg

Oh Hyun-kyung [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Photographer: Lee Jin-hyuk eleven @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3

July 28, 2010

Bae Doo-na was "worried over bad singing"

Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk Editor : Lucia Hong Editor : Lee Ji-Hye

2010072819023115910_1.jpg

Korean actor Seo Ji-suk, director Kim Min-sik, actress So E-hyun, actor Lee Chun-hee, actress Bae Doo-na,

actress Oh Hyun-kyung and actor Lee Jong-won at the press conference for upcoming weekend drama "Gloria"

held at a CJ CGV theater in Seoul, South Korea on July 28, 2010. [10Asia/Lee Jin-hyuk]

'Family' is the core of weekend dramas. The typical family drama is about an extended family with various characters that fight, reconcile and live happily ever after. However, upcoming MBC weekend drama "Gloria" is more about relationships among people who share the same lifestyle rather than family ties. Below are the excerpts from the press conference for new drama "Gloria" attended by its cast, director and scenarist.

Q: Unlike typical weekend dramas, in which an extended family usually appears, it seems that "Gloria" focuses on the dreams of characters who are in their thirties.

Director Kim Min-sik (Kim): I wanted to create a light and cheerful weekend drama. I plan to talk about the love between four young people or a story of families that share their living spaces such as in a night club or a rented house. You may think it's a bit depressing or heavy since it's a story based on poor people. But this will be about people who enjoy their lives by being thankful for whatever they have, such as their talents or abilities.

2010072819023115910_2.jpg

Korean actress Bae Doo-na (left) and actor Lee Chun-hee (right) [10Asia/Lee Jin-hyuk]

Q: Could you each introduce the characters that you play?

Bae Doo-na (Bae): I play the thirty-something year old Na Jin-jin who lives her life aimlessly because she doesn't have any dreams or a direction for life. She has lost both her parents so she looks after her sick older sister while delivering newspaper at the break of dawn, has a part-time at a carwash and works in the coat room of a nightclub. Jin-jin is the kind of person who works hard at whatever she can get her hands onto. She discovers her true self when she accidently takes to the stage at the nightclub.

Lee Chun-hee (Lee): Simply put, I play a loyal idiot. He tries to help out Jin-jin, his childhood friend, but instead causes more trouble. I wonder if he will be much help when Jin-jin becomes a singer.

Oh Hyun-kyung: My character is Na Jin-joo, the older sister of Jin-jin. Jin-joo used to be a brilliant singer who was in the spotlight but due to a sudden accident she becomes a physically challenged person with the mental capacity of a five year old. And she isn't just plain pure. There's a depressed state that is always contained inside it so it makes people around her feel sorry for her.

So E-hyun: I play the innocent and fragile Jung Yoon-seo who has no will to live. I'm very nervous because this time I will be playing the illegitimate daughter of a rich household instead of a career woman.

Seo Ji-suk: Lee Kang-suk is the illegitimate son of a conglomerate. He doesn't believe in love and is a level-headed person. The audience will be able to see many harsh sides to him.

Lee Jong-won: I am the half-brother of Kang-suk and my character Ji-suk is very possessive. He used to be in a relationship with Jin-joo and becomes involved in a love triangle with Kang-suk because he begins to like Yoon-seo.

Q: Kim Min-sik, you mostly direct dramas that focus on women, like in your previous works MBC's "Queen of Housewives” and "Still, Marry Me," and now "Gloria."

Kim: I like women. (laugh) I actually wanted to make a drama that women can enjoy watching and relate to because it's usually women that watch dramas. Plus I have always wanted to direct a production where the script is written by scenarist Jung Ji-woo. I found out that I had shortcomings even with my experience when I began directing. I'm very worried because I want to show the interesting imagery that came to mind when I read the script. I want female viewers' hearts to flutter and beat when watching Jin-jin.

Q: Bae Doo-na, this will be the second project written by scenarist Jung Ji-woo that you will take on after starring in SBS' "How to Meet the Perfect Neighbor." Is there a reason why you choose dramas written by Jung Ji-woo?

Bae: Honestly, there is no actor who could refuse a project written by Jung Ji-woo. I asked Jung Ji-woo a lot of questions like what kind of emotion is this, how should I show this feeling and bothered him in such ways when we shot "How to Meet the Perfect Neighbor." Thanks to him, I was able immerse myself completely while filming the show. I think he sent the scenario for this drama to me prepared to encounter a similar situation. (laugh) I believe we will have a fun time shooting the drama.

Q: You play a singer in the show, how well do you really sing?

Bae: I worried a lot because of that. I was worried about my bad singing because the drama can only move forward if Jin-jin is a good singer. But I took on the role because a real actor is someone who makes the effort to make the impossible become possible. The weird thing was that unlike acting whenever I began to sing, my confidence kept dropping. I am working on my singing abilities with Jin-jin's 'will do anything attitude.'

2010072819023115910_6.jpg

Korean actress Oh Hyun-kyung (left) and actor Lee Jong-won (right) [10Asia/Lee Jin-hyuk]

Q: Oh Hyun-kyung, you will be playing a physically challenged person after having played a perfectionist in MBC's "High Kick." Can we regard this as an acting transformation for you?

Oh Hyun-kyung (Oh): It's only called an acting transformation if I do a good job. The first thing that came to my mind were negative thoughts like what will happen if the outcome of the drama isn't good because I did a bad job with my character. I am taking on this role like it’s my homework and with it, I will be able to broaden my scope of acting. I get a confidence boost whenever the director says 'It's good' on set.

Q: Is there anyone you set as a role model for this drama?

Oh: I referred a lot to Sean Penn who played a challenged person in the movie "I Am Sam." And other physically challenged people from the movie, besides Sam, helped a lot too. I also observed the five- and six-year-olds around me. I practiced on the points such as reacting a bit slower and showing my emotions honestly. I still have a long way to go before I will be able to catch up to Sean Penn but I'm working hard on portraying my character as well as possible.

Q: How do you think Jin-jin feels about taking care of a physically challenged sister?

Bae: We shot a scene few days ago, where I'm trying to calm Jin-joo who is crying at a crosswalk. That was when I realized what Jin-jin was feeling. We were on the road with all these cars passing by and suddenly it came to my mind that we only have each other. I also thought 'I must live because of this woman.'

Q: Lee Jong-won, up until now you've played the characters at two extremes -- either an honest or adulterous man. What was it like to take on the role of a son of a conglomerate who has a mean personality?

Lee Jong-won (Lee): I think it's significant that I get to stay alive and not get killed off in this drama. I frequently get asked that question because I've played the adulterous role a lot. I can't say that I hate infidelity because it has led to me where I am right now. I consider the adulterous role to be a genre that I can take on.

2010072819023115910_5.jpg

Scenarist Jung Ji-woo (left) and director Kim Min-sik (right) [10Asia/Lee Jin-hyuk]

Q: Main character Na Jin-jin seems to be the typical nothing-can-bring-me-down type of character from dramas. How will this character be different from the other dramas that have featured characters like her?

Scenarist Jung Ji-woo (Jung): There has always been a strong-willed female characters in all the dramas that I write. And most of the time, people think of the nothing-can-bring-me-down character whenever they see a strong-willed woman but I think this drama too will not break away too far from it. I am however, thinking of ways I can add in a different storyline but at the same time, I want to write a corny drama. There are many trendy and fun dramas but personally I want the drama to be something that my mom can enjoy watching as well as feel comforted by. "Gloria" will show how those people who live on the fast lane and those who fall behind, find comfort in each other.

Q: Bae Doo-na, you've constantly been praised for your controlled acting so how has it been acting the role of Na Jin-jin? You must be pressured over having to find the balance between controlling your acting while also overdoing it.

Bae: I prefer roles where I play characters who control their emotions but not all characters are like that. I will do the kind of acting where I push down my emotions since Jin-jin is a character who doesn't cry even if she wants to but I plan on acting in a friendly way since its one of the requirements of weekend dramas which are watched by various age groups. I am going to express every emotion in detail so that the viewers will feel sad and a little bit bitter when they see Jin-jin's brave image.

Reporter: Lee Ga-on Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@ Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

Guest eucharis

July 28, 2010

Nam Sang Mi wants to get married soon

2010072718382852941_1.jpg

Talented actress, Nam Sang Mi revealed that she would like to get married as soon as possible.

An interview was held today (27th July) by MoneyToday and actress Nam Sang Min discussedher thoughts on marriage.

She said, “I hope to get married soon, isn’t this what a woman wants?” and “I will definitely share it with everyone if there’s an ideal person,” showing a shy smile while saying it.

She also added, “Every actress thinks the same, if i could, I would. But it worries me because it’s hard to find the ideal one. It’s hard to go out for dating because the other half is a celebrity. You will only meet the right man at the right time”.

Nam Sang Mi also emphasized on the importance of a family, “Now or in the future, I will foster the bonds among the family members to sustain the unity of everyone.”

Nam Sang Mi is currently starring in weekend drama “Life is Beautiful“.

Source:hellokpop.com

July 29, 2010

On top of the world

28234749.jpg

Actress Han Hyo-ju, left, and Olympic gold medalist figure skater Kim Yu-na, right, are appointed publicity ambassadors at the G-20 Summit organizing committee office in Samcheong-dong, Seoul, yesterday, for the high profile event taking place this coming November. At center is G-20 committee chairman Sakong Il. [NEWSIS]

Source: joongangdaily.com

Han Hyo-joo, Kim Yu-na named G20 ambassadors

Photographer: Park Sung-Ki Editor: Jessica Kim

2010072911030690633_1.jpg

Han Hyo-joo, Sa Kong-il and Kim Yu-na [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

From left, actress Han Hyo-joo, Chairman for the Presidential Committee for the G20 Summit Chairman Sa Kong-il and figure skater Kim Yu-na pose after Han and Kim are appointed ambassadors to promote the upcoming G20 Seoul Summit 2010 at the Korea Banking Institute on July 28, 2010.

2010072911012164865_1.jpg

Han Hyo-joo [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Actress Han Hyo-joo poses during a photo session of a ceremony appointing her as an ambassador to promote the upcoming G20 Seoul Summit 2010 at the Korea Banking Institute on July 28, 2010.

2010072910565215365_1.jpg

Han Hyo-joo and Sa Kong-il [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

From left, actress Han Hyo-joo sits next to Sa Kong-il, Chairman for the Presidential Committee for the G20 Summit, ahead of a ceremony appointing Han as an ambassador to promote the upcoming G20 Seoul Summit 2010 at the Korea Banking Institute on July 28, 2010.

Photographer: Park Sung-Ki musictok @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3

July 29, 2010

Oh Yun-soo on Her Part in 'Unfriendly' Soap

Oh Yun-soo plays the eldest daughter in a rich, adulterous family in SBS TV soap "Bad Guy," and although ratings are a poor 7-8 percent, her acting has won the hearts of critics and viewers alike.

Because of the complicated family history, the plot of "Bad Guy" is quite difficult to follow. "It's an unfriendly drama, so I didn't expect high rating to begin with," Oh says. "A lot of viewers want dramas that are easy to follow, something you can easily understand even if you come back after a toilet break or getting a drink from the kitchen. But with 'Bad Guy' you have to concentrate for the entire one hour. I shot it thinking that I want it to linger in the memory of viewers, rather than with an eye on high ratings."

2010072900250_1.jpg

Oh Yun-soo

Oh made her debut in 1990 among the batch of actors who passed an open audition by MBC and became popular for her innocent image. But since her marriage to a fellow actor Son Ji-chang, Oh has switched to playing married woman who are careless or a little weird. She also made a number of appearances in dramas that primarily deal with adultery such as "Bittersweet Life."

That is why she now asks for her two sons' permission before she picks a character. They are 12 and eight. "Because my first child is in puberty, I am concerned that he could get hurt by other people saying, 'Your mom appeared in a bed scene.' But the boys assure me that it is okay because it's just acting. I'm very grateful to and proud of them, but it's still difficult because so many people identify my character in the drama with my real self," she says.

When asked about her husband, whose last TV appearance was in the 2004 drama "The Age of Heroes," Oh says, "He is very into running a business organizing corporate events. But if he finds a suitable script in the future, he will definitely come back."

Oh turns 40 next year. "At this age, if you take even a short break, you're easily forgotten. That's why I work harder. I try to do at least one show a year no matter what," she says.

July 29, 2010

Foreign medias visit the set of TV series "Dong Yi"

Reporter : Lynn Kim Editor : Jessica Kim

2010072910372849516_1.jpg

Foreign journalists pose with the cast and crew of TV series "Dong Yi" on the show's set

in the city of Yong-in, South Korea on July 28, 2010. [MBC]

MBC TV series "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" is looking to reignite the Hallyu buzz that director Lee Byung-hoon had sparked up in 2003 with Lee Young-ae starrer "Jewel in the Palace," inviting the foreign press to its set in Yong-in yesterday.

Broadcaster MBC said in a press release that Lee opened up the set of his latest historical drama, located in the city of Yong-in, South Korea, on Wednesday to some 50 media journalists from Southeast Asia (25 from Japan, China 14, Thailand 5, Malaysia 4 and Singapore 2), who interviewed the noted director as well as the show's lead actor Ji Jin-hee.

During an interview session with Lee, the maestro behind smash hit epics "Huh Joon" (MBC, 1999) and "Jewel in the Palace" (MBC, 2003), foreign reporters asked a variety of questions ranging from the subject matters in his dramas to how he chooses his main characters and whether he thinks about how the show will sell overseas when he is making it.

The reporters seemed to have been impressed by the director as well as the size of the drama's set. "I was surprised because the drama set in Yong-in was bigger than I thought," Ms. Masako of Japanese newspaper was quoted as saying. "Meeting and listening to Lee Byung-hoon, I'm starting to think that there is a reason behind entertaining dramas. I think he is a person who is unique and has a great sense when it comes to directing dramas."

Masako, a self-proclaimed Hallyu fan, added that there is a huge interest in Japan for Korean dramas.

"Dong Yi," which stars actress Han Hyo-joo, is about a woman named Dong Yi who grows up to become Choi Suk-bin, a consort of King Sukjong and the mother of King Youngjo during the Joseon Dynasty.

The show has been dominating Korea's TV ratings charts for Monday and Tuesday evenings, taking the No.1 spot in its time slot for the sixteenth consecutive time last week. The 50-part series has so far been sold to ten countries including Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, the Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam. It is currently airing in Japan on cable.

2010072910372849516_2.jpg

A foreign journalist takes a picture with "Dong Yi" director Lee Byung-hoon (center) and actor Ji Jin-hee (left) on the show's set in Yong-in, South Korea on July 28, 2010. [MBC]

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

July 28, 2010

"Dong Yi" leads Monday and Tuesday night primetime lineup

2010072808543721961_1.jpg

Korean actress Han Hyo-joo on historical drama "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" [MBC]

MBC's historical epic "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" drew in a bigger crowd this week, taking the No. 1 spot on television charts Monday and Tuesday nights for the 16th consecutive time.

Figures from TNmS (Total National Multimedia Statistics) on Wednesday revealed that "Dong Yi," into its 38th episode, scored viewership ratings of 28.8 percent on July 26 and increased by 1.8 percent the following day.

This points to an average 1.2 percent rise compared to last week's ratings, although the show remains in second place for overall weekly TV ratings, behind KBS drama "Bread, Love and Dreams."

Data released by AGB Nielsen Media Research indicated lower ratings - 24.4 percent on Monday and 25.7 percent on Tuesday night.

This week's episode focused on how Suk-jong (Ji Jin-hee) removed the title of Jang Hee-bin (Lee So-yeon) and ordered for the return of Queen Inhyeon (Park Ha-sun).

Meanwhile, SBS 'drama "Giant" continued to follow behind in second place, bringing in ratings between the 15 to 19 percent range on both charts.

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

July 29, 2010

Court orders Kwon Sang-woo to pay 7 million won fine

Reporter: Park Kun-ouc Editor: Jessica Kim

20100511075747005876643_00000007_1_PA.jpg

Kwon Sang-woo [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor Kwon Sang-woo has been fined seven million won by a court for fleeing the scene of an accident in which Kwon collided into several vehicles in mid-June.

Judge Kim Se-jong of the Seoul Central District Court on Thursday handed a summary order of seven million won, equivalent to nearly 6,000 dollars, to the 33-year-old actor for the incident.

Two weeks ago, prosecutors had summarily indicted Kwon five million won for the same case, charging him with not taking immediate action for the damage he inflicted.

"It seems the justice department made the rare decision of imposing a higher fine on Kwon than the sum he was indicted for in consideration of the social responsibility he holds as a popular celebrity and the fact that he fled from the accident at the time," explained a court official.

A month ago, Kwon had made headlines after it became belatedly known that the actor had crashed into several vehicles including a police car near Seoul's Cheongdam-dong district during the early hours of June 12.

He had abandoned his vehicle and fled the scene soon after, only showing up at the police station two days later to undergo investigation for the incident. No casualties were involved and there was no evidence that Kwon had been drunk driving at the time he caused the accident. Kwon himself had also denied driving under the influence of alcohol.

Kwon had shot to fame throughout Asia after starring in the 2003 TV series "Stairway to Heaven", which co-starred another Hallyu star Choi Ji-woo.

He recently starred in war pic "71 - Into The Fire" and will be appearing in upcoming TV series "Big Thing" alongside top Korean actress Ko Hyun-jung.

Reporter: Park Kun-ouc kun1112 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

Actor Kwon fined W7 mil.for hit-and-run

By Park Si-soo

Staff reporter

Popular actor Kwon Sang-woo, 34, was slapped with a 7 million won ($5,890) fine by a Seoul district court for a hit-and-run.

The penalty was 2 million won higher than the fine sought by the prosecution. It’s rare for the court to hand down a verdict harsher than the prosecution’s recommendation.

“Given that Kwon is a public figure wielding great influence in society, it seems that the presiding judge deemed the punishment sought by the prosecution was too light,” said a spokesman for the Seoul Central District Court, Thursday.

The accident drew public outcry for the “special treatment” of the actor by the police. Those charged with hit-and-runs are supposed to be detained during police questioning and the trial. But this was not the case for the actor.

After plowing into two cars on June 12, he fled the scene and turned himself in at a police station two days after the accident. Police suspected he had driven under the influence of alcohol, but were unable to prove it due to his belated presence. No measures were taken to question him earlier.

According to witnesses, after hitting a car parked in an alley on the morning of the day, Kwon kept driving to escape the situation but soon rammed into another vehicle, this time a patrol car.

He drove for a further 300 meters, ignoring orders from the police to stop, then hit a tree in a nearby parking lot. At this point, he left his car and ran off, police said. Kwon denied being inebriated and reportedly testified during questioning: “I didn't drink alcohol at that time.”

Source: pss@koreatimes.co.kr l koreaherald.com

July 29, 2010

Bae Doo Na: ‘Practicing Singing Is Tough’

"Singing? Honestly, I cannot sing very well” -Bae Doo Na

Actress Bae Doo Na will transform into a nightclub singer in the MBC weekend drama “Gloria” (written by Jung Ji Woo, directed by Kim Min Sik and Kim Kyung Hee), which will air its first episode on July 31. The drama, which will be broadcast every weekend night at 7:55 pm, will portray a story of people who live fiercely while working in a nightclub.

Bae Doo Na will portray the female lead Na Jin Jin, who wants to become a singer at the age of thirty. She sings on the nightclub stage in an unguarded moment as a substitute singer, and develops a desire to become a singer. The title of the drama, “Gloria,” is the title of the song that Na Jin Jin sings and it is also Na Jin Jin’s stage name that she uses to make her debut as a singer. As Bae Doo Na will play a singer in the drama, her singing ability will play an important part in developing the story of the drama.

7462_1449_l.jpg

In the production presentation held at CVG Apgujeong on July 27, Bae Doo Na said, “When I first heard the casting suggestion, I was really worried about the singing. Singing ability is the most important part in the drama, and I thought that I should not take the role even though the character was very attractive to me because my thoughtless greed in the role could ruin the drama. I actually thought about giving up the role not to have a detrimental effect on the drama. But I finally made up my mind to appear in the drama and to take on the challenge because making possible something that seems impossible is an actor’s job. Honestly, I am not a good singer, but I am trying very hard to practice singing.”

Right now, Bae Doo Na has been practicing three songs, the song “Gloria,” which is a translated rendition of Donna Summer’s hit song, a duet song with a nightclub singer played by Na Young Hee, and the song “Senoya,” which was originally sung by the singer Yang Hee Eun.

Bae Doo Na said, “While I am practicing singing, it is often pointed out that I lack confidence. Unlike acting, singing is very difficult for me. Maybe I have to learn a competitive spirit from the character Na Jin Jin.”

She explained the nature of the character Na Jin Jin, saying, “She has no direction in her life and no dreams, but she is always putting forth her best effort when doing something. Actually, I am not a greedy person and I usually think ‘let things go their own ways,’ but Na Jin Jin is a very tough woman with a cheerful and positive personality.”

7462_1450_l.jpg

Bae Doo No has expressed an extraordinary trust towards the writer Jung Ji Woo and production staff members including the production director Kim Min Sik. She had already worked with the writer Jung Ji Woo when she appeared in the drama “How to Meet a Perfect Neighbor” in 2007.

Bae continued, “When I filmed the previous drama, I often called the writer and asked about the character’s emotions, and she used to give great help at that time. Right now, every actor and production staff members has a kindred spirit in filming this drama, so I can feel a good energy. I expect that we can also have a good result in the competition with other dramas airing on other broadcasting stations.”

The production director expressed his thoughts on Bae Doo Na by saying, “She is a very responsible actress. When I see her careful concern for other actors in the drama, I thought that she has a good attitude as the main female lead who is ready to lead the story of the drama as the main actress.”

July 29, 2010

On-set photos of upcoming TV series "Domangja s1" revealed

Reporter : Lynn Kim Editor : Jessica Kim

2010072913335032888_1.jpg

Korean actress Lee Na-young shoots a scene for upcoming TV series

"Domangja s1" at the Port of Yokohama in Yokohama, Japan [Domangja s1]

On-set photos of Korean actors Daniel Henney and Lee Na-young from their Japan shoot for upcoming blockbuster TV series "Domangja s1" have been revealed.

In the photos released by the show's producers on Thursday, the two actors recently shot a scene for the romantic comedy-intelligence drama at the Port of Yokohama in Yokohama, Japan.

Playing the role of a mysterious woman named Jin-yi, actress Lee is seen wearing a simple, white cruise stewardess uniform while Henney is clad in a sophisticated semi-casual outfit as a shipping tycoon who falls in love with Lee's character.

"Domangja s1," about a hefty sum of money popping up sixty years after it disappeared in times of the Korean War, boasts a star-studded cast led by Korean entertainer Rain and including Lee Jung-jin, Kong Hyung-jin, veteran Japanese actor Takenaka Naoto, J-pop singer Uehara Takako and Hong Kong star Eric Tsang.

The series will be directed by noted television producer Kwak Jung-hwan and written by Chun Sung-il, the creative duo behind the hit TV series "The Slave Hunters" (KBS) earlier this year.

Filming will take place in various Asian cities including Tokyo, Osaka, Yokohama, Shanghai, Beijing, Macau and Hong Kong. The shoot at the famous Japanese port attracted a huge group of local fans who gathered around to watch the Korean actors.

Lee, 31, first rose to stardom with TV series "Ruler of Your Own World" (MBC, 2002) and has since starred in several notable films such as "Please Teach Me English" (2003) and "Maundy Thursday" (2006) and "Someone Special," for which she won best actress at the 25th Blue Dragon Film Awards.

Henney, 30, was born in Michigan to a Korean-American mother and an American father of British descent. He made his debut in the Korean entertainment business as a model and gained fame appearing in television commercials alongside top Korean actresses Jun Ji-hyun and Kim Tae-hee.

He became a phenomenon around the country after appearing in the hit TV series "My Name Is Kim Sam Soon" (MBC, 2005) and made his Hollywood debut last year in the Hugh Jackman action pic "X-Men Origins: Wolverine." He also scored his first gig on a U.S. television drama "Three Rivers" (CBS), which was cancelled after eight episodes due to low ratings.

"Domangja s1" will premiere in Korea around late September.

2010072913440008709_2.jpg

Korean-American actor Daniel Henney shoots a scene for upcoming TV series

"Domangja s1" in Yokohama, Japan [Domangja s1]

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

July 29, 2010

'Man'hardboiled but touching

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff reporter

100729_p10_man.jpg

Won Bin, right, and Kim Sae-ron star in a scene from "he Man From Nowhere."

The action drama by Lee Jeong-beom opens in theaters on Aug. 4./ Courtesy of CJ Entertainment

It’s bloody and brutal, and harrowingly so ― as it pins down a soft spot in the hearts of viewers.

While featuring some of the most memorable child acting, this hardboiled action flick really must be kept far away from the young ones. "The Man From Nowhere" is quite predictable in many ways, but the manipulative jabbing effect is sorely felt because all the cruelty leaves you as vulnerable as the victimized children in the film. Breathless and flabbergasted, you’re bound to find solace in the tender melodrama, like a parched sojourner at an oasis in the middle of the desert.

Director Lee Jeong-beom has nevertheless crafted a convincing story that stands on its own two feet. Its strength lies in the fine details such as the carefully chosen supporting cast, witty dialogue and zesty comic relief, as well as character development and flashes of impressive cinematography.

Leading man Won Bin, moreover, makes it loud and clear that the project marks the full-fledged flight of his "second life as an actor," which he once said about his international breakthrough role in Bong Joon-ho’s "Mother." In his previous film Won showed that the brightest lights cast the darkest shadows, how the most transparent figures can harbor the most surprising secrets. Here he crosses over to the dark side once and for all, and trades in "Mother’s" oafish demeanor for sharp wits and really, really quick feet.

Dubbed "the pawn shop ghost," Tae-sik, haunted by some painful past in his former work as a secret agent, lives in reclusion. He doesn’t say much while running an obscure pawn shop, and doesn’t even care to cut his hair.

So-mi, a neglected 10-year-old who lives next door, however, brightens up his stark existence like a ray of light. "People say you’re a child molester," she says, but knows better about her one and only friend, and always invites herself over for a decent meal or to find refuge when her single mom decides to have a dose of drugs. In turn she does small chores like uploading songs onto Tae-sik’s mp3 player.

Korean cinema in recent years has seen pairings of unlikely duos, and Kim Sae-ron, the little girl with big talent of the Franco-Korean collaboration "A Brand New Life,’’ brings a breath of fresh air to the screen. Though children and animal co-stars are a faux pas for adult actors, since their cuteness steals the lime light, Won has no worries since most of the screen time is devoted to Tae-sik running to So-mi’s rescue.

So-mi is kidnapped by a crime ring when her club dancer mother becomes involved in a case, and Tae-sik, who seems to have discovered a pulse in his deadened heart, cuts his hair so he can run around to save his little friend. The viewer is given several tasks ― to wonder what this deep dark secret of his is all about while worrying about So-mi, who, for the black market organ sellers, is more valuable as a corpse.

When considering the illegal organ trade, films like "Dirty Pretty Things" come to mind. The skin-crawling realities of the illicit business was rendered palpable by setting it against a heartrending romance, and "The Man From Nowhere" plays at something similar, though with a touch of "Leon" with a narrative centered on the bond between a little girl and this "ajeossi," or uncle figure.

Like other characters in the film, the audience may initially wonder why Tae-sik, who isn’t even So-mi’s dad, is willing to risk his life for her. Yet as his secrets unravel the film tugs at the heart for the right reasons, as it touches upon basic human needs, like the yearning for a reason to live, or die, and "jeong," the feeling of fellowship that unites people together beyond blood ties.

Also intriguing is the subplot involving the detective handling the case and a powerful member of the crime ring (performed charismatically by Thai star Thanayong Wongtraku).

Source: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

July 29, 2010

Special screening of "71-Into the Fire" held in US

2010072914101221386_1.jpg

Official movie poster for "Into Fire" [Taewon Entertainment]

Korean war film "71-Into the Fire" has been shown in three cities in North America, according to movie's producer Taewon Entertainment on Thursday.

A press release from Taewon announced that special screenings for the film were held in New York, Los Angeles and Atlanta on July 27, three days ahead of its premiere in fourteen other cities in the United States.

In New York, "Fire" was shown at the AMC Empire 25 theaters, making it the first ever Korean film to be featured at the movie complex. In Los Angeles, the movie was shown at the MPark4, a theater that shows many Korean flicks, and at the AMC Discover Mills 18 in Atlanta, Georgia.

The war epic will be shown in cities including New Jersey, Philadelphia, Boston, Dallas, Houston, Seattle, Chicago and Virginia once its premieres on July 30.

"Fire" has garnered much attention from overseas, particularly in the United States. Korean actor Kwon Sang-woo and director Lee Jae-han attended a special seminar commemorating the 60th anniversary of the Korean War at Stanford University's Asia-Pacific Center and the pic has officially been invited as the closing film for the 30th Hawaii International Film Festival in mid-October.

"71-Into the Fire," helmed by famed director Lee, is based a true story of 71 student soldiers who fought during the Korean War. It stars top Korean stars Kwon, Chan Seung-won, Kim Seung-woo and TOP from idol group Big Bang,

The film opened in local theaters on June 16 and has accumulated over 3.3 million admissions to date. It has also maintained a spot within the top 10 of the Korean box office.

July 30, 2010

TV Stars' Fees Keep Spiraling

20100730091001160_1.jpg

TV production companies have long been complaining about the exorbitant fees charged by top stars, which drive production costs up to the point where even a hit series no longer guarantees profits for the producers. But their complaints have curbed neither the stars' demands nor the public's appetite for watching them.

The leading star of the Korean pop-culture craze, actor Bae Yong-joon earned a record fee of W100 million (US$1=W1,202) per episode for MBC series "Taewangsasingi (The Four Guardian Gods of the King)" in 2007. In addition, he was reportedly guaranteed an additional W150 million per episode based on ratings and overseas sales. When Bae starred in "Winter Sonata," the series credited with setting off the craze, in 2002, he was paid W4 million per episode.

Other stars also rake in huge sums. Park Shin-yang made W50 million per episode and Lee Byung-hun W25 million for "IRIS," though Lee's actual earnings added up to W100 million per episode considering all the incentives. Actresses Son Ye-jin, Kim Tae-hee and Ko Hyun-jung make about W20-30 million per episode, excluding additional incentives if their dramas get re-aired or sold overseas. Pan Entertainment President Kim Jong-sik said, "Compared to five years ago, actors get paid five to six times more now on average."

This distorts the way productions are financed. According to the Korea Creative Content Agency, actors' fees account for 60 percent of the total cost of a TV drama, compared to 20 percent in Japan. TV production companies argue that the terrestrial networks demand big names, allowing the stars to negotiate exorbitant contracts.

The CEO of a TV production company said, "When I visit broadcasters with a business plan for new drama without a star in the cast, they refuse and say we need to get a few huge stars in the cast. If we want to get a place in the program list, we have no choice but to do what they say because they have absolute power."

Broadcasters claim they have to protect their investment. Huh Woong, head of the drama department at SBS, said, "It is broadcasters' inherent right to demand a better cast when viewers’ have trust in star actors, because the risk of airing unpopular dramas fall mostly on broadcasters."

July 30, 2010

U.S. Youngsters Ensure Comfort Women Don't Fade from View

A group of Korean-American youngsters have persuaded the U.S. House of Representatives to renew its calls on Japan to apologize for forcing women into sexual slavery during World War II. Three years ago, the House of Representatives adopted Resolution 121, which demands that Japan issue further apologies to the former "comfort women," but Tokyo took no action and the matter faded from view.

That was when 20 high-school interns at the Korean-American Voters' Council of New York and New Jersey convinced House representatives to adopt another special statement on Tuesday calling on Japan to abide by the resolution and issue an apology.

The House Subcommittee on Asia, the Pacific, and the Global Environment in the statement said the Japanese government has yet to acknowledge the violation of human rights and issue an apology, even though the country's prime minister changed several times since the last resolution. It stressed that time is running out since the “comfort women” are in their twilight years.

Eni Faleomavaega, who heads the Subcommittee on Asia, plans to read the special statement at the main House session and send it out to the Japanese government.

2010073000569_1.jpg

High-school interns of the Korean-American Voters' Council of New York and New Jersey pose for a group photo with actor Cha In-pyo (left) at the center on Tuesday. They convinced U.S. lawmakers to renew its calls on Japan to apologize for forcing women into sexual slavery during World War II.

The youngsters began their efforts five weeks ago. They discovered that the House usually checks up on the results of resolutions two to three years after they are passed but there was no follow-up when it came to Resolution 121. They contacted the representatives at the committee who spearheaded the resolution and urged further action. "It's a human rights issue so the representatives were very willing to listen to our comments," said Chung Il-hyung, one of the students. The students wrote to eight representatives, including Gary Ackerman (D-New York), Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Florida) and Scott Garrett (R-New Jersey) and visited the House on Monday.

On the day the special statement was adopted, Korean actor Cha In-pyo, who has been campaigning on the issue, visited the KAVC and bought pizzas for the interns to show his appreciation. "I am proud that the students were able to explain the problem to the representatives and prompt them to take action," Cha said. The student interns had gathered 80,000 signatures that led to the adoption of the comfort women resolution three years ago and set up a memorial for the women in New York and New Jersey last year.

Archived