[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

Fresh Faces Flex Their "Young Guns" for ELLE

Dec 17th, 2009

kimbum12172009seoulbeat.jpg

Some of Korean TV’s most handsome young (and one who’s not so young), up-and-coming (and a few who have already been there and done that) actors are included in yet another fun photoshoot ELLE’s “Share Happiness” campaign in this month’s issue.

Can I just say that I love all the concepts for the “Share Happiness” campaign so far?

One of my favorite young actors with quite the successful filmography under his 20 year old belt (I mean, has anyone forgotten the “Boys Over Flowers” mania?)-Kim Bum:

94c524304952df875fdf0e2.jpg

Seriously one of the prettiest 22 year old boys from one of the prettiest dramas this year -”Return of Iljimae”- we have Jung Il Woo:

jungilwoo12172009seoulb.jpg

Relative unknown kdrama actor (to me at least) from this year’s “The Man Who Can’t Get Married”, but whom I loved in the movie ”Antique Bakery”, 23 year old Yoo Ah In:

yooahin12172009seoulbea.jpg

The super cute and extremely baby faced 24 year old (I know-I thought he was like 16!!!) from the currently airing kdrama “Will It Snow at Christmas” and earlier this year’s “Triple” and a cameo in “My Fair Lady”, Song Joong Ki:

songjoongki12172009seou.jpg

The 29 year old actor who has played jerks and more serious roles in the past but has taken a delightfully hilarious turn in the currently airing (and which I am loving!) “Smile, You”, Lee Kyu Han:

leekyuhan12172009seoulb.jpg

I’m not too familiar with this bright-eyed 21 year old either; his dramawiki page tells me he hasn’t been up to much recently besides making a cameo appearance in “High Kick Through the Roof” reprising his role from “Unstoppable High Kick”, but he’s such a cutie I hope he makes a comeback with a new project soon-here’s Kim Hye Sung:

kimhyeseong12172009seou.jpg

Another 29 year old (who doesn’t look it at all!!) making a splash in the land of Kdramas in this year’s successful saeguk drama, “Queen Seonduk”, is Lee Seung Hyo:

leeseunghyo12172009seou.jpg

I didn’t watch “Romance Zero” but I knew that SUJU’s Kangin was in it. If I had known this sweetly smiled 24 year old actor was in it maybe I would have tuned in… currently starring in “Life is Good”, it’s Lee Taesung:

leetaesung12172009seoul.jpg

Here’s a gem of a guy-this 24 year old actor currently is in “Assorted Gems” or “Bosuk Bibimbap” as the coral cutie. I’m not watching the family drama, but I just might look into it and into Lee Hyun Jin:

leehyunjin12172009seoul.jpg

This charmer looks just as good in modern duds (remember him from “Boys Over Flowers”?) as he did in a traditional hanbok in this year’s underground, manhwa-based hit, “Tamna the Island/Tempted Again”. I fell not only for his good looks, but also his nuanced (at times side splittingly hilarious at other times almost weepy eyed sad) portrayal of Park Kyu. Gotta love 27 year old Im Ju Hwan:

imjuhwan12172009seoulbe.jpg

And last but not least we have the ever mysterious CF actor and model boyfriend of the fabulous Kim Minhee-here’s her younger (he’s 21, she’s 27) eyecandy, Lee Hyuk Soo:

leehyuksoo12172009seoul.jpg

credit: seoulbeats

News Link: http://seoulbeats.com/2009/12/fresh-faces-...-guns-for-elle/

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2009/12/21

S. Korea's Song Hye-gyo cast in new film by Wang Jiawei

SEOUL, Dec. 21 (Yonhap) -- Korean Wave star Song Hye-gyo has been cast in Chinese director Wang Jiawei's upcoming film "The Grand Master" along with top performers including Tony Leung and Zhang Ziyi, the actress's agent said Monday.

Song, the heroine of mega-hit TV series "Autumn In My Heart (2000)," will join the cast early next year, said Seoul-based Eden 9 Entertainment.

20091221142601_bodyfile.jpg

The actress, whose role has yet to be fixed, has been studying Chinese and martial arts for the film, according to the agency.

In "The Grand Master," Leung takes on the role of Ip Man, a real-life Wing Chun grandmaster whose students included the legendary martial artist Bruce Lee. Other top Chinese actors and actresses, including Chang Chen, Brigitte Lin and Zhao Benshan, will join the cast.

Wang, internationally renowned for visually unique and stylish films including "Chungking Express (1994)" and "Happy Together (1997)," first revealed his hopes to work with Song during the 2004 Pusan International Film Festival.

Though considered one of the most influential TV performers in Korea, Song has been relatively unsuccessful on screen, with her films like "Hwang Jin-yi (2007)" recording mediocre box office results.

Credits : Shin Hae-ni (hayney@yna.co.kr)

Source : Yonhap News, The Korea Herald

12-20-2009

Lee Honey to Hold Traditional Concert on Christmas

091220_p14_lee.jpg

Beauty queen-turned-actress Lee Honey, right, will hold a concert along with

her mother, center, and sister, left, at the National Center for the Korean Tra-

ditional Performing Arts on Dec. 25. / Korea Times File

Beauty queen-turned-actress Lee Honey is returning to the spotlight as a gayageum (12-string traditional Korean instrument) player along with her mother and sister for a concert at the National Center for the Traditional Performing Arts on Dec. 25.

Lee's mother, Moon Jae-sook, is a professor of Korean traditional music at Ewha Womans University, and is also a nationally recognized "intangible cultural asset" as a gayageum player.

Lee's sister, Seul-gi, graduated with a degree in Korean traditional music from Seoul National University. She has released three albums since 2005 ― "The Song of String," "In the Green Caf?" and "Blossom."She is a member of the KBS Orchestra of Traditional Korean Music and has received the President's Award from Korea's National Classical Music Institute. Currently a doctoral student in Korean classical music at Seoul National University, she has performed at such venues as Sejong Center for the Performing Arts, KBS Hall, the University of California, Los Angeles and Carnegie Hall.

The concert will feature a fusion of traditional and modern music to celebrate the festive mood on Christmas. They will play popular songs such as The Beatles'"Let It Be" and Baek Ji-young's "Don't Forget," along with carols such as "White Christmas."

Lee is also a professional gayageum player, and was named a gayageum prodigy by the Kumho Art Center, the most prestigious musical foundation in Korea. She majored in Korean traditional music at Seoul National University.

Lee won the 50th Miss Korea pageant and finished fourth in the Miss Universe pageant in 2007.

Lee garnered popularity for the law drama series "The Partner" and the musical "Polaroid," in which she performed alongside Andy Lee, a member of boy group Shinhwa.

She is currently performing in the play "Legally Blonde" and will star in a new drama titled "Pasta" next year.

Credits : Chung Ah-young, Staff Reporter (chungay@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

2009-12-21

Which Stars Win and Lose Through 'Iris'

The KBS2 spy drama “Iris” drew its curtain on December 17 with tragic ending where both male protagonists died.

Enjoying great popularity with average ratings of 27 percent, the drama has been the talk of the town throughout its airing. Although towards the end of the series a scandal involving one of the main stars broke out, even that event could not overshadow its achievements.

It has also served as an opportunity for its stars to show different sides of themselves, although not all of them managed to receive rave reviews.

Then who won or lost by appearing in the drama?

322_869_l.jpg

-- Biggest Winners: Lee Byeong-hun, Kim So-yeon and Kim Seung-woo

This year has seen many top stars return to the TV screen, proving their pulling power. Earlier, Kim Nam-joo made a hugely-successful comeback in the MBC drama “My Wife is a Superwoman,” followed by Koh Hyun-jung in another mega-hit MBC drama “The Great Queen Seondoek.” And Lee Byeong-hyun is the latest star to be on par with the two actresses.

Although Lee is suffering damage to his reputation due to the scandal that recently emerged, he has proved why he remains at the top with charismatic performance.

Kim So-yeon is also another winner. Playing a North Korean secret agent who fell in love with an enemy, she was praised for her poised performance. Of note is that the best scene chosen by viewers in the December 9 episode was not the much-anticipated shootout between South and North Korean agents in Gwanghwamun, downtown Seoul but the tearful farewell between Kim and Lee Byeong-hun.

Kim Seung-woo succeeded in projecting different images. Since his debut 19 years ago, Kim has performed a variety of characters but has been considered most impressive with comical characters. But with the drama, he proved his ability as a versatile actor who can change according to the roles he plays.

-- Mediocre Winners: Kim Tae-hee and T.O.P

To Kim Tae-hee, “Iris” would mean something more than any other drama she has appeared in so far. She has managed to be recognized as a “real” actress who is not remembered for beauty only.

Kim’s role was very different from some introverted, quiet characters she previously played. She showed satisfactory performance in both romantic and action scenes.

But she still faced some criticism as many viewers took issue with her acting skills, saying, “She performs best only in commercial advertisements.” It may be that they applied stricter standards for her since she had failed to prove her ability as a serious actress. This means she still has challenges to overcome.

T.O.P, a member of the boy band Big Bang who played a killer, also failed to consolidate his reputation as an actor. His role seemed to be very suitable for his image, but he was not successful in portraying his character through spoken dialogue. This is what he has to work on seriously if he wants to be a recognized actor.

-- Loser: Jeong Jun-ho

Jeong Jun-ho, like Kim Seung-woo, could have used the drama as an opportunity to shake off his signature comical image, but he only managed to achieve half success.

He played Jin Sa-woo, who betrayed his best friend for love and unwittingly became involved in a terrorist group. Amid criticism that his character was not persuasive enough, he failed to show convincing performance on his part, too, although it was obvious he made great efforts.

The curtain has been drawn on “Iris,” and fans will look out for the stars to make their next move. It is entirely up to the actors how they will take advantage of what they have learned in the drama.

Writer: TV Report

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi

Source : KBS GLOBAL

12-21-2009

Yoo Named Comedian of the Year

091221_am_yoo.jpg

Yoo Jae-suk

Yoo Jae-suk has been named ``comedian of the year.''

The 37-year-old received 51.6 percent of the votes cast in a survey of 1,726 people aged 13 or older conducted by Gallup.

This marks the fifth year in a row that Yoo has been honored with the award.

Yoo has been emceeing on several television entertainment programs such as KBS's ``Happy Together'' and MBC's ``Infinite Challenge.''

Kang Ho-dong came in second with 43.5 percent. He maintained the runner-up position, also for the fifth straight year.

Lee Soo-geun ranked a distant third with 11.3 percent, followed by Shin Bong-seon (7.8 percent) and Park Myeong-soo (4.4 percent).

Source : The Korea Times

2009-12-21

'Iris' Ending Draws Highest KBS Ratings of 39.9%

The ending of “Iris” drew 39.9% viewer ratings, the highest by KBS self evaluation.

323_871_l.jpg

The KBS 2 drama had drawn great attention with its overseas location shoots and star-studded cast, and it had ended with viewing ratings of 39.9%.

On December 17, the spy drama “Iris” drew its curtain with the death of Hyun-jun (Lee Byung-hun).

Earlier, while Sa-woo (Jeong Jun-ho) faced death in a shootout between the NSS and the Iris, Sa-woo opened his heart to Hyun-jun, saying, "I am sorry for getting you in trouble," and Hyun-jun told Sa-woo, “I have never had a shadow of doubt about you,” holding Sa-woo to his chest.

In addition, the president (Lee Jung-gil) presiding over the South-North Korean summit was saved from murderous attack by his secretary (Myung Ji-yeon) with the help of Hyun-jun.

After three months, the drama was expected to have a happy ending for a short time, with Hyun-jun and Seung-hee reverting to normal daily lives. However, Hyun-jun was shot and killed by an unknown person in the last episode of the drama while he was on the way to propose to Seung-hee with an engagement ring.

The drama has approached its conclusion with many unsolved mysteries, such as the true identity of Seung-hee and the director of Iris, amidst the diverse opinions of TV viewers regarding the conclusion and sudden death of Hyun-jun.

“Chuno” starring Jang-huk, Oh Ji-ho, Lee Da-hae will air in January 2010, succeeding “Iris.”

By KBSi Jin Yeong-ju

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi

December 21, 2009

“Iris” scandal draws in Kang Byung-kyu

21175905.jpg

In the latest scandal involving the KBS hit action-drama "Iris", Kang Byung-kyu, 37, baseball pitcher-turned TV entertainer, said he is going to sue the producer of the drama for assault and blackmail.

Kang was accused of bringing in gangsters and causing a disturbance on the set of Iris in Songpa District, southern Seoul, at around 1 a.m. last Monday. He visited the set to protest to the producer whom Kang claims to have spread the rumor that he was behind the feud between Lee Byung-hun, a star of Iris, and his former girlfriend Kwon Mi-yeon.

Kwon has filed a lawsuit against Lee, saying he lured her into a sexual relationship under the false promises of marriage. Lee has denied the charge and pledged to file a lawsuit of his own, escalating the situation into a nasty legal battle.

Kang went to the police at around noon today for investigation into his alleged disturbance, but citing emotional pressure stemming from the presence of many journalists, he postponed his testimony.

Instead, he held a press conference, where he said it was the producer of Iris that called in the mob. Kang also characterized himself as the victim, claiming he was subject to a beating for about half an hour. He added that he will file the official complaint to the police soon.

Credits : Kim Hyung-eun [hkim@joongang.co.kr]

Source : JoongAng Daily

2009-12-18

Lee Min-ho: 'I Want My Next Role to be Cheerful and Fun'

"I want to play a macho guy and try my skills at melodrama as well. I want to try so many things. But since I'm still very young, the best role for me would be a cheerful one," said actor Lee Min-ho, who rose to stardom for his role in "Boys Over Flowers," at a news conference on December 15 in Taiwan. The news conference was held prior to Lee's fan meeting at the National Taiwan University.

The actor said he felt significant pressure with regard to his next role because his previous role was very popular. "Boys Over Flowers," which ended in March, recorded viewer ratings of nearly 35 percent. Lee said choosing the right role was his priority and dilemma at this point, saying, "I'm feeling pressure because everyone around me keeps asking me about my next production. I want to receive recognition for my acting skills and I want my next drama to record high viewer ratings while also receiving credit for its high quality. I hope at least one of these aspects will be realized."

7235_692_l.jpg

Lee says he wants to receive the Best New Actor award from KBS this year. He will appear in a new TV drama early next year after choosing a new role from among three roles that he has been offered.

Lee said he had been watching the TV drama "Iris" lately and that he would like to appear in "Iris 2" if he were offered a part. He said, "I admire Lee Byung-heon for his excellent acting talent. I envy him. A candy kiss? Hmm, I haven't thought about that."

7235_693_l.jpg

Lee had to postpone choosing his next role because of a leg injury that he received in a car accident. He said, "The surgery is done. My leg is still in bad condition. When it rains, my joints ache a lot. I head that once your cartilage is damaged, it'll never recover again. But I think I can still run in a marathon, but I'm not sure if I can finish it."

Whenever he has free time, Lee learns English and Japanese and enjoys shopping with his production crew. He also likes to ski with actor Kim Bum and Chung Il-woo. Lee said, "I feel the need to learn foreign languages because sometimes I hold fan meetings overseas. My foreign fans can't understand my jokes immediately. That's why I'm learning English and Japanese. I'm learning English from my sister, who majored in English. My skills are still similar to those of a 3-year old."

7235_694_l.jpg

Lee Byung-hun receives Nat'l Assembly award

2009122117122635388_1.jpg

Actor Lee Byung-hun [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Actor Lee Byung-hyun, who recently starred in hit TV series "Iris", receives a special commendation by the National Assembly held at the National Assembly Library in Seoul, South Korea on December 21, 2009. This awarding ceremony, now into its tenth year, recognizes figures in film and music based on a survey on all of Korea's lawmakers.

2009122117122635388_2.jpg

Actor Lee Byung-hun [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Actor Lee Byung-hyun, who recently starred in hit TV series "Iris", speaks after receiving a special commendation by the National Assembly held at the National Assembly Library in Seoul, South Korea on December 21, 2009. This awarding ceremony, now into its tenth year, recognizes figures in film and music based on a survey on all of Korea's lawmakers.

Photographer : Park Sung-Ki musictok@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

Kim Tae-hee receives Nat'l Assembly award

2009122117083302205_1.jpg

Actress Kim Tae-hee [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Actress Kim Tae-hee, who recently starred in hit TV series "Iris", speaks after receiving a special commendation by the National Assembly held at the National Assembly Library in Seoul, South Korea on December 21, 2009. This awarding ceremony, now into its tenth year, recognizes figures in film and music based on a survey on all of Korea's lawmakers.

2009122117083302205_2.jpg

Actress Kim Tae-hee [Park Sung-ki/Asia Economic Daily]

Photographer : Park Sung-Ki musictok@asiae.co.kr

Lee Byung-hun's ex-girlfriend says will be "more severe"

2009122117034566068_1.jpg

Actor Lee Byung-hun [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

A Korean-Canadian woman, who recently sued Hallyu star Lee Byung-hun for allegedly alluring her into a sexual relationship on false promises of marriage, said she will take even stronger action against the actor.

The woman, Lee Byung-hun's ex-girlfriend identified by her last name Kwon, made the remark during a recent interview with Fuji TV where all of her facial features except for her eyes were exposed on the screen. The interview has reportedly been posted on popular video-sharing website Youtube.

During the interview, Kwon was quoted as saying that she "plans to be more severe" because she is "angry that he described himself as a victim", referring to the letter Lee publicly wrote to fans about the incident.

In the letter, the actor had written that he wants to leave the two's past relationship as "a special and dear memory".

Kwon had filed a lawsuit to the Seoul Central District Court on December 8, demanding 100 million won (approximately 87,000 in U.S. dollars) in compensation for physical and psychological damages she has suffered from the relationship. Several days later, she also accused the actor of taking part in heavy illegal gambling overseas.

Kwon was questioned by the Korean authorities on December 15 regarding her accusations. Lee, who is also countersuing for libel through legal representative Kim & Chang, is expected to appear at the prosecutors office next week.

The 39-year-old actor has starred in numerous Korean dramas and films, including the recent blockbuster TV series "Iris" which ended last week. He also debuted in Hollywood this year with a supporting role in "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" alongside Channing Tatum and Sienna Miller and starred in action thriller "I Come with the Rain" with Josh Hartnett and Takuya Kimura.

Lee attended the "Four Great Kings of Hallyu" fan meeting at Tokyo Dome last Thursday with three other Hallyu stars -- Jang Dong-gun, Won Bin and Song Seung-hun.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

"A Brand New Life" invited to Berlin film fest

2009121813284117745_1.jpg

Posters for Korean films "A Brand New Life" (left) and "Actresses" [Now Films/Showbox]

Korean films "A Brand New Life" has been invited to the 60th Berlin International Film Festival, according to the festival committee on Friday.

"Life" has been invited to show in the 14-plus Generation Section, a category for movies about children over the age of 14, at the event to be held from February 11 next year.

The Berlin Film Festival is considered one of the three biggest film fests in the world alongside Cannes and Venice Film Festival. It is known to sell an average of 270,000 tickets and attract about 450,000 people every year.

"Life", starring actors Sol Kyung-gu, Ko Ah-sung and newcomer Kim Sae-ron, is about a young girl who is abandoned by her father at an orphanage. Korean-born French filmmaker Ounie Lecomte wrote and directed the movie inspired by her own childhood, with noted Korean director Lee Chang-dong as producer. The film was invited to several international film festivals this year including Cannes, Tokyo International Film Festival and Cinekid Festival in Amsterdam.

Korean film "Actresses", which stars six of Korea's top actresses including Choi Ji-woo and Ko Hyun-joung, has been set to compete in the Panorama section which introduces films with new artistic style and commercial potential.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Song Hye-kyo to appear in Won Kar-wai biopic

2009122114114810044_1.jpg

Korean actress Song Hye-kyo [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actress Song Hye-kyo has been set to appear in Hong Kong art-house director Wong Kar-wai's biopic about Bruce Lee's kung fu master Ip Man, according to a report on Monday.

Major Chinese website Sina.com reported that the 27-year-old actress will play a supporting role in film "The Grand Master", about Ip who trained hundreds of kung fu students, including Lee, till his death in 1972. Ip had fled to Hong Kong in the 1940s to escape the Communist takeover of China.

Some of the best actors from the Greater China region, including Cannes award-winner Tony Leung Chiu-wai, Ziyi Zhang and Chen Chang, will also star in the film set for release around December next year.

Wong had continuously expressed his interest in working with Song, officially stating so at the Pusan International Film Festival in 2004. He also invited her to the premiere of his film "My Blueberry Nights" held in New York of August last year.

Wong has won several international acclaims including the award for best director twice at the Hong Kong Film Awards and the same title at the Cannes film festival in 1997 for "Happy Together".

Song, who had appeared in a string of dramas and sitcoms since her debut 1996, shot to fame in hit KBS TV series "Autumn Fairy Tale" co-starring Hallyu stars Won Bin and Song Seung-hun. She gained increasing popularity throughout Asia with her roles in several successful TV shows thereafter including "All In" opposite Lee Byung-hun and "Full House" alongside Asian pop sensation Rain.

Song made headlines in August after admitting to dating top Korean actor Hyun Bin, her co-star of last year's TV series "The World That They Live In".

Reporter : Park So-yoen muse@asiae.co.kr

December 21, 2009

‘Iris’ stars in the Assembly

The sound of laughter and applause filled the Grand Meeting Hall in Yeouido, central Seoul, on Monday as the Mass Culture & Media Research Group recognized the country’s biggest stars in show business. The 10th installment of the awards, held by the government-created research group, honored performers in 10 different categories.

Winners included Girls’ Generation (Musician of the Year), the MBC documentary “North Pole’s Tears” (TV Program of the Year) and “Dae Jang Geum” (Musical of the Year).

A highlight of the ceremony was an appearance by actors Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-hee, who received the “Special Award” by Park Geun-hye, former chairwoman of the Grand National Party, for their roles in this year’s hit drama “Iris.” When asked whether she has watched Iris before, Park answered,

“I regularly follow the show.”

Other notable guests included the current Grand National Party Chairman Chung Mong-jun and Ryu In-chon, the minister of culture, sports and tourism.

Approximately 500 people, including A-list celebrities, renowned politicians and the general public, attended the two-hour event.

Caption: Park Geun-hye, former chairwoman of the Grand National Party, poses with “Iris” stars Kim Tae-hee and Lee Byung-hun at the Mass Culture & Media

Research Group awards ceremony.

December 21, 2009

Lee Jun-ki drama "Hero" sold to 5 countries

2009122113265261260_1.jpg

Poster for MBC TV series "Hero". [MBC]

MBC TV series "Hero", starring top Korean actor Lee Jun-ki, has been sold to five countries in Asia, according to an official with the drama's producer on Monday.

"I think 'Hero' was appealing in that it is a cheery and bright drama with a meaningful message in times like nowadays when Asia overall is in an economic slump," the official said of the drama sold to Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, the Philippines and Malaysia.

The Wednesday and Thursday prime time show had gained much attention ahead of its production on news that the 27-year-old Hallyu star would lead the cast, also composed of his co-star Yoon So-ji and veteran actor Baik Yoon-shik.

Famed Japanese distributor Digital Adventure had purchased rights for the drama in November last year upon seeing its initial script.

Lee, who became a household name in 2005 playing a woman-like clown in the hit film "The King and the Clown," has a strong fanbase throughout Asia and was recently voted the most popular Korean Wave star in China.

He plays the role of a passionate reporter working for a third-rate magazine in the drama, about a group of youngsters who rebel and fight against a corrupt society.

Reporter : Park So-yoen muse@asiae.co.kr

"Iris" surges past "Seon-deok" on final week

2009122111070160568_1.jpg

Poster for KBS TV series "Iris" [Taewon Entertainment]

KBS2 TV's blockbuster drama "Iris" ended with a bang, topping television ratings charts on its final week of showing.

According to statistics released by TNS Media Korea on Monday, "Iris" topped the weekly TV ratings chart during the week of December 14 to 20 with a 37.5 percent viewership rating.

MBC's "Queen Seon-deok" trailed at second place with a 35.8 percent rating. Ratings for the historical drama -- which has been topping the weekly ratings chart almost every week since its premiere in late May -- has been declining since the departure of character Mi-shil, played by Ko Hyun-joung, from the show four weeks ago.

KBS1 TV's daily soap "Jolly Widows" came in third at 32.0 percent.

In the non-drama category, KBS2 TV's "Happy Sunday" topped the chart with a 27.2 percent viewership rating. MBC's sitcom "High Kick Through The Roof" and SBS's "Family Outing" trailed behind with ratings of 22.9 and 19.3 percent, respectively.

[RATINGS] Weekly TV ratings: Dec 14-20

2009122113183024074_1.jpg

TV ratings for the week of December 14 to 20. [TNS Media Korea]/Asia Economy

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

December 21, 2009

Awards ceremony draws A-list stars, politicians alike

The sound of laughter and applause filled the Grand Meeting Hall in Yeouido, central Seoul, on Monday as the Mass Culture & Media Research Group recognized the country's biggest stars in show business. The 10th installment of the awards, held by the government-created research group, honored performers in 10 different categories.

Winners included Girls' Generation (Musician of the Year), the MBC documentary "North Pole's Tears" (TV Program of the Year) and "Dae Jang Geum" (Musical of the Year).

2009122200235_0.jpg

Actress Kim Tae-hee (left) and actor Lee Byung-hyun pose after

receiving the National Assembly Awards at the parliamentary

building in Seoul on Monday.(Chosun Ilbo)

A highlight of the ceremony was an appearance by actors Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-hee, who received the "Special Award" by Park Hye-kyung, previous head of the Grand National Party, for their roles in this year's hit drama "Iris." When asked whether she has watched Iris before, Park answered, "I regularly follow the show."

Other notable guests included the current Grand National Party Chairman Chung Mong-jun and Ryu In-chon, the minister of culture, sports and tourism.

Approximately 500 people, including A-list celebrities, renowned politicians and the general public, attended the two-hour event.

Caption: Park Hye-kyung, the previous head of the Grand National Party, poses with "Iris" stars Kim Tae-hee and Lee Byung-hun at the Mass Culture & Media Research Group awards ceremony.

"Avatar" debuts atop Korean box office

2009122110355001359_1.jpg

Movie poster for "Avatar" [20th Century Fox]

James Cameron's new film "Avatar" made a splashy debut in Korea, opening at No. 1 on the local box office this weekend.

According to estimates released by Korea Box Office Information System (KOBIS) on Monday, "Avatar" attracted 1,380,358 viewers for the weekend of December 18-20. The sci-fi action flick has already drawn over 1.6 million viewers since its release on December 17.

"Law Abiding Citizen", starring Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler, remained at second place with 160,616 viewers over the weekend while vampire flick "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" dropped two places to No. 3 with 142,157 viewers.

Korean thriller film "Saving My Wife" came in fourth with 94,692 viewers while Hollywood blockbuster "2012" still made the top five with 86,546 viewers over a month after its release. "2012" has attracted over 5.3 million viewers in Korea since its release on November 12.

Other movies included in the top ten were; "Actresses", "Girlfriends", "Ninja Assassin", "A Christmas Carol" and "The Descendants of Hong Gil-dong".

[RATINGS] Weekend Box Office: Dec 18-20

2009122113224947057_1.jpg

South Korea's box office estimates for the weekend of December 18-20.

[Korean Box Office Information System (KOBIS)] / 10Asia

Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

December 21, 2009

Press Conference - "Attack The Gas Station 2"

2009121817542230861_1.jpg

The cast of "Attack The Gas Station 2" and director Kim Sang-jin (far right)

[photographed by Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

“Mr. Park gets attacked again today. He is attacked, beaten and attacked again. The kids that he hired to protect himself from the attackers are even more dangerous.” Talalala, the familiar music from [popular Korean TV show] “Human Theater” plays and Mr. Park (played by Park Yeong-gyu), the owner of the famous gas station from ten years ago, appears on the big screen. In the first movie, Mr. Park was helplessly attacked at his gas station by No Mark (played by Lee Sung-jae), Paint (played by Yoo Ji-tae), Ddan Dda-ra [which means “rock star” in Korean] (played by Kang Seong-jin) and Mu Dae-po [“Bulldozer”] (played by Yu Oh-seong). He is determined to get his revenge but, again, he finds himself in a similar situation which he has no choice but to put up with. The press conference for film “Attack The Gas Station 2”, held at Seoul’s CGV Multiplex on December 16, kicked off with Park Yeong-gyu walking onto the stage and sadly proclaiming, “I have to put up with this again!”

2009121817542230861_7.jpg

Scenes from the movie "Attack The Gas Station 2"

Mr. Park hires a group of employees -- One Punch (played by Ji Hyun-woo), High Kick (played by Jo Han-sun), Deulbaejigi (played by Moon Won-ju), Yaburi (played by Jung Jae-hoon) -- at his gas station in order to protect himself from another possible attack. Lo and behold, a group of high-schoolers show up to rob the place but the new group, who are even crazier than No Mark and his crew, manage to hold the fort. But what in the world has happened to Mr. Park, who has to find some place to hide even after surviving the attack? Will Mr. Park survive his crazy group of employees who are ignorant, rebellious and have no respect for their boss? Viewers will be able to find out when the movie opens in theaters on January 21. Below are excerpts from the press conference for the film “Attack The Gas Station 2”.

Q: It’s been a really long time since we saw you on the big screen. Is there a special reason you chose to take on “Attack The Gas Station 2” as your comeback movie?

Park Yeong-gyu (Park): I wouldn’t call it a comeback. I lived an ordinary life for a while, away from this business. Then when the director offered me the part, I was hesitant because at that point, I was trying to decide whether I was going to continue acting or not. But now I’m very grateful to the director who asked me to do the movie and supported me from the very beginning. It’s a film that made me realize that I couldn’t live without acting.

2009121817542230861_2.jpg

Actor Park Yeong-gyu [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: Why were you away from the public eye for five years?

Park: I was in a state of total shock after losing my son in a car accident five years ago. It was a very painful time and I wanted to give up everything, so I turned my back against the world for five years. But when I started working again with “Attack The Gas Station 2”, I thought another phase of my life has started for me as an actor. I started thinking, ‘This is so much fun, why didn’t I do this?’ You see people like Lee Kwang-gi [Korean actor whose 7-year-old son died of H1N1 influenza virus in November], but you don’t know how painful it is until it happens to you. But I’m happy, I’ve learned how to laugh again and got my energy back from doing this movie because I got to hang around with young people.

Q: I heard that you had pegged Park Yeong-gyu for the role from the beginning.

Director Kim Sang-jin (Kim): Mr. Park had to stay the same as ten years ago, even if all the other characters had changed, because Park Yeong-gyu represents the previous, older generation. When he played Midal’s father in [popular Korean sitcom in the late 1990s] “Soonpoong Clinic”, Park Yeong-gyu had that typical attitude of a man who wanted to follow and live by the society’s conventions. And although ten years has passed, that generation hasn’t changed at all. They still want to succeed in life, want their children to go to college and get tutors for them, and try to make more money. And so Park Yeong-gyu was still the most appropriate person for the role.

2009121817542230861_3.jpg

Actor Ji Hyun-woo [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: Ji Hyun-woo was considered the ideal younger man in Korea, but he seems rather rough playing this character, unlike his image.

Ji Hyun-woo (Ji): The director made One Punch such a fascinating character. Of course, it’s been great playing the role of a younger man parts so far, but I think I might go for more animalistic, manly roles as I get older. (laugh)

Q: Jo Han-sun, you used to be a soccer player so that must have helped you when playing the part of High Kick, who was on the National Youth Soccer Team.

Jo Han-sun (Jo): It was very helpful. Not only when I was shooting scenes where High Kick plays soccer but also I was able to understand how he felt after he quit soccer. So I was able to express those emotions in detail.

Q: The first movie “Attack The Gas Station” was a commercial success, attracting 2.5 million viewers a decade ago. Did you feel any pressure making the sequel?

Kim: They say no sequel is better than the original, but honestly I didn’t make “Attack The Gas Station 2” thinking that I could live off of the first movie’s success. Yes, the first one was successful but that was ten years ago. The reason I made “Attack The Gas Station” was because I wanted to show people how the younger generation was living their lives at that time. And I made the second movie for the same reason. The young people these days are very different from their counterparts ten years ago. There is a new story that is different from the first film. It has the same title but it’s a completely different movie.

2009121817542230861_4.jpg

Actor Jo Han-sun [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: When you were getting into your character, was there a role model or another character than you used for reference?

Jo: I saw the first movie again but I didn’t use it for reference. The only thing I could use for my character was my own experience as a soccer player. (laugh) I’ve never played a part like this so I wanted to make it interesting.

Ji: Nothing in particular, but the director told me that One Punch was like the comic book character Guyeongtan. So I sort of thought of him as a role model.

Moon Won-ju: My character has a wrestling scene in the film, so I watched professional wrestlers rather than actors. And he has a little stutter so I met with a group of stutters and learned how to stutter. My character is also a casanova, so during the shooting I watched kuma sutra movies on cable every morning. (laugh)

Jung Jae-hoon (Jung): I did see the first movie but I got my role models from people in real life -- the people in their twenties who want to make easy money, the young people who are very accustomed to capitalism. One example would be those young people in Gangnam who drive illegal taxis. (laugh) I also got help from [comic book character] Kang Baek-ho in “Slam Dunk” and [character from Korean movie] Pil-joong from “Conduct Zero”.

2009121817542230861_5.jpg

Actor Jung Jae-hoon [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: There were a lot of action scenes in the highlight videos. Were there any injuries?

Jung: I think I was too ambitious. I broke my nose in the last fight scene because we didn’t quite click with one another.

I wanted to get a nose job but I couldn’t because the producers told me they were running low on money and I was a newbie so I couldn’t make demands. (laugh)

Q: When “Attack The Gas Station” opened, the country was faced with an economic crisis and we are also dealing with a bad economy these days. How do you want to approach the audience with this movie?

Kim: I always want to make a fun movie. Before the shooting, I talked a lot with young people about how they are living and how they want to live in the future. I think a lot of that came out in the film.

Park: I politely refused [to do the movie] in the beginning. I said that I wanted to retire and live a quiet life. But then I kept hearing about the movie and felt like it was something I had to do. (laugh) That’s how I started but I was afraid at first. I felt like I had forgotten everything about doing comedy and I was worried if I could make people laugh. But when I heard the director say ‘okay’ after I did my first scene on the first day of shooting, I was able to regain my confidence. I will try to pay back the Korean people who regard me as an actor that they still want to see in movies.

2009121817542230861_6.jpg

Actor Moon Won-ju [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Jo: There are a lot of other characters in “Attack The Gas Station 2” and I want the viewers to watch them too. Everyone worked so hard on this movie and we all became one. Enjoy the movie, be cool about it.

Ji: There is no lazy scene in the movie because the film’s physical space is limited to a gas station. When you watch the screen, you’ll see that there are people in the background who are doing something besides the person the camera is focusing on. I want people to pay attention to that sort of stuff.

Moon: I’m a Class of ’98 who went through the economic crisis. I remember feeling very depressed the day I saw “Attack The Gas Station”, but [after watching the movie] I was laughing and feeling much better. I think the audience will be able to watch this movie and roll around in laughter like I did.

Jung: I watched the first movie in high school when I had just started acting so it’s a big honor to get to do the sequel. I think the movie isn’t entirely about being funny -- it also has a wise sense of humor. I hope that it’s an entertaining and meaningful film.

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Kim Tae-hee says was "lifeless" before taking up acting

2009122115031089081_1.jpg

Actress Kim Tae-hee poses during a photo session of a press conference on December 18, 2009.

[Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

KBS TV series "Iris" ended its run last week while viewers were left to wonder why main character Hyun-joon (played by Lee Byung-hun) die. And Choi Seung-hee (Kim Tae-hee) mysteriously remains standing at the center of this story which ended with an open ending. She turned out to be the unexpected twist at the end of the drama which helped her character leave a stronger impression rather than ending up being the typical passive female who yields to her man's wishes. Kim talked to reporters last Friday, the day after the blockbuster spy drama aired its final episode.

Q: You must feel quite different about this drama compared to your past works.

Kim Tae-hee (Kim): Actors usually say they feel mixed emotions of both joy and sadness when they're done with a film or drama. I had felt more relief with my past roles but I think the sadness is greater this time. I think it's because we had been in shoot for a long time and I had been active in laying forth my own ideas for the drama too while monitoring my scenes in the editing room. I was very stressed while working on it but I have a deep affection for it.

Q: How satisfied are you with the ending?

Kim: I wonder how it would've been if the ending had been more clear. My character Seung-hee is mysterious till the very end -- contemplating over whether she should assassinate the president or kill Iris' snipers. You can't even tell whether she is telling the truth or not. I do wish the ending provided more explanation to clear things up.

Q: Seung-hee was the one who held the key to the mystery in the latter half of the drama. Did you know she would play such a role when you first went into shoot?

Kim: I didn't but the screenwriter told me to play out my role without taking such issues into consideration. I was told that I should just act out how Seung-hee would be according to the situation mentioned in the script at the time, regardless of what would happen in the future. I was very frustrated while in shoot though because we didn't shoot the scenes in order and I had to do so without being aware of her identity or mentality. But I think my acting would have been more calculated if I had read the entire script beforehand and knew what her identity was.

Q: When exactly did you find out about the ending?

Kim: The script for the last two episodes came out less than a week before they were set to air.

2009122115343704642_2.jpg

Actress Kim Tae-hee [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Q: You mentioned you actively projected your ideas while working on this drama. Which scenes in particular?

Kim: First of all, the writer wasn't the type that wants actors to recite each line word for word, but rather matches the actor's personality to his or her character. For example, in the scene where Hyun-joon follows around my character Seung-hee on campus, she was supposed to say, "I hate making small talk over coffee." but it changed to "It's not my thing." And in Hungary, she said "Even if I die, I'd want to with you," but changed it to "I'd even go to hell with you" because I just wasn't feeling it. And in the scene where I fight with terrorists who invaded into the NSS, the director wanted me to take down my opponent swiftly with a mass but I asked that I fight a long bout because I'm an agent and I would have undergone the basic training necessary for it.

10: As eager as you were about doing a good job in this drama, there must be some scenes you wish you did better on.

Kim: So many, taking the smallest details into consideration. I personally am disappointed with the scene where I look at Hyun-joon while he's being tortured in the first episode. It was hard having to deliver my emotions because I wasn't actually looking at him being tortured but looking into the camera. I guess I could have rehearsed with Lee Byung-hun but I felt bad about asking him because he had been having a rough time shooting in the underground bunker for several days. Anyhow, I watched the scene on TV later on and I had this obscure look in my eyes. I had hoped to express more emotion but the director said it was good because my slightly expressionless face made the scene stronger.

: You had said you put in the most effort for your role this time and hoped it would be a turning point. Do you think it has been?

Kim: I had been very frustrated in the past because it seemed like acting came so easily for everyone else and I was the only one walking through an endless maze. But after having worked on "Iris" for ten months and receiving a lot of advice from my senior actors, I think part of the frustration has disappeared and I feel a bit more comfortable acting now.

Q: Does that mean you think you've gained confidence?

Kim: Maybe a little. I'm also glad that people are finally saying 'Kim Tae-hee has a hit drama too'. (laugh)

2009122115343704642_3.jpg

Actress Kim Tae-hee [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Q: So it's good that the show ended up doing well but you must've been very stressed before it went on air. You were the lead actress for the most-anticipated TV series during the second half of the year.

Kim: It really was enormous (stress). I wasn't able to get a complete grasp of my character's emotions because we started by shooting the scene where Seung-hee goes on a trip to Japan with Hyun-joon (played by Lee Byung-hun) and then went straight to Hungary without shooting anything in between. I was only handed a script to look at so it wasn't easy trying to create a link between the two. Hence I wasn't confident about it and was very stressed. That's when the director gave me the task of practicing do to pantomime. He said it would help with my acting. He told me to practice in various ways on my own, then try it with other actors. I also shot video of myself doing it and would monitor it afterwards. It really helped a lot and I was able to adjust to my role after returning to Korea from Hungary.

Q: It felt like you were trying to break through the controversy over your acting skills... a certain obstinacy or intensity. What we're curious to know is whether you are actually enjoying your job.

Kim: I had been weighed down with a sense of responsibility and pressure in the past because I somehow entered the field of acting but was not living up to expectations so I became very disappointed and frustrated in myself. I'm sure everyone probably does better job at and enjoy doing more of what they are good at. But I think one thing has changed because of "Iris". My acting hasn't turned around 180 degrees but my thoughts -- thinking that I had a disadvantageous personality for an actor -- has changed a bit and I were able to discover moments when I found potential within myself as an actor.

Q: Do you think you've become more emotionally abundant?

Kim: Of course. I'm growing older too. I've really felt that I'm becoming more of a person through acting. I was almost lifeless before. (laugh)

Q: Then could we take it that your life has become more abundant and enjoyable due to acting?

Kim: My life has become more abundant. But is hasn't become fun yet. (laugh) In the past I had been quite optimistic and never looked back on what I've done but I now feel emotions such as depression which in turn has helped me feel greater happiness. One can only feel happiness from the smallest things by experiencing sorrow.

Reporter : Wee Geun-woo eight@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr, Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

Archived