[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

2009-12-09

Koo Hye-sun Picked Best Actress by Taiwan Netizens

091208_p18_koo.jpg

Actress Koo Hye-sun

Actress Koo Hye-sun, 25, popular in Taiwan as a "hallyu," or Korean wave, star, has been picked as the best Asian actress by Yahoo! Taiwan, Koo's agency, YG Entertainment said Wednesday.

Koo, who rose to stardom with her starring role in the KBS-TV drama ``Boys Over Flowers,'' claimed the top place in the "Asia Female Artist" category of the "Yahoo! Asia Buzz Awards 2009."

She was one of the most "searched" stars by netizens in Taiwan, according to the agency.

Koo will attend the awards ceremony to be held in Taipei, Friday.

Koo has been wooed by Taiwanese producers to appear in dramas and music videos. Even before ``Boys Over Flowers,'' Koo won fame by starring in hit dramas such as ``The King and I'' and ``Pure in Heart.''

Credits : chojh@koreatimes.co.kr

Source : The Korea Times

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12-09-2009

Is MBC TV President Ohm's Resignation Political Gambit?

091209_p04_is.jpg

MBC President Ohm Ki-young has

tendered resignation but some say

that his resignation will not be

accepted.

Network broadcaster MBC President Ohm Ki-young, a former popular news anchorman, offered to resign with seven of his executives Wednesday. Chances are, however, that Ohm is the only one whose resignation will not be accepted.

The state-controlled Foundation for Broadcast Culture, MBC's largest shareholder with a 70-percent stake, will make a decision regarding his future Thursday. But insiders strongly suggest that the Lee Myung-bak administration "does not dislike" Ohm and his resignation will not be accepted.

Ohm's announcement was made days after the foundation rated his MBC reform plan as "poor" on Nov. 30. Ohm's restructuring plan, which included restrictions to be slapped on its union, didn't fare well with board members, insiders say..

He was under constant pressure from the foundation - which is headed by Kim U-ryong, a former media advisor to President Lee and the governing Grand National Party (GNP) - to take responsibility for what they call a social rift and confusion caused by MBCPD Notebook news magazine.

The government blames the program for causing months of protests involving more than 2 million participants last year against the resumption of U.S. beef imports. President Lee Myung-bak's approval rating dropped below 10 percent, the lowest ever for an administrative leader during the first year of his term.

The TV network has since suffered from a deficit with many companies withdrawing advertising. Those responsible for the production of PD Notebook were indicted, triggering questions about many other programs over their level of political neutrality.

There were reports that Ohm attempted to send his envoys to high ranking officials and the President's office to bury the hatchet but was rebuffed.

Some speculate that he could be a victim of the changing political trend of what critics argue is the government's effort to bring the mass media, especially TV stations, under its control.

Last year, Jung Yun-joo, president of the state-run KBS, was sacked by the government-appointed board, citing "management inefficiency." He was later cleared of this charge, but there appears to be no chance for his reinstatement.

Lee Byung-soon and Kim In-kyu, KBS' former and incumbent presidents, respectively, were both from the Lee Myung-bak camp. However, media critics assumed that Ohm won't face dismissal. Yonhap quoted an industry insider as saying that Ohm had shared an "understanding" with the government and will be spared.

It is also speculated that he may have been promised a better position elsewhere, if his resignation is accepted.

Ohm started his career as a reporter in 1974. He gained rock star status while anchoring the station's primetime news program, "News Desk." He was selected president last year, and has two more years to go.

Credits : Bae Ji-sook (bjs@koreatimes.co.kr)

12-09-2009

Lee Byung-hun Sued by Female Gymnast

lee(6).jpg

Actor Lee Byung-hun

Actor Lee Byung-hun is being sued by a former female gymnast, who alleges he deceived her with false promises of marriage. The actor is planning a countersuit for libel.

According to the Seoul Central District Court, a 22-year-old Kwon with a Canadian passport filed a suit against Lee Tuesday demanding 100 million won in compensation on charges of deceit.

The alleged victim used to be a member of the Canadian national team and met Lee while he was on a promotion tour of ``The Good, The Bad, The Weird,'' a movie in which he starred.

She said she had moved to Korea to be with him, but he suddenly broke contact with her.

BH entertainment ― Lees' agency ― said that several unidentified men had tried to blackmail the actor. ``Lee and Kwon went out with each other between last autumn and this spring. Some men kept calling us asking for 2 billion won, threatening to distribute groundless rumors about their relationship,'' the company said in a press release.

``Lee is busy filming IRIS, a popular TV thriller, but will soon take legal action,'' it said.

Taewon Entertainment, the producer of IRIS, also said it would take legal action on any rumors that libel the actor and its product.

Credits : Bae Ji-sook, Staff Reporter (bjs@koreatimes.co.kr)

December 09, 2009

Actor responds to marriage lawsuit

09182500.jpg

Lee Byung-hun

Lee Byung-hun, one of the stars of the KBS action drama "Iris," will go to court to defend himself from a lawsuit brought by Kwon Mi-yeon, a Canadian-Korean rhythmic gymnast who is suing Lee for alleged physical and mental suffering due to Lee's false promises of marriage. Kwon is seeking 100 million won ($87,000) in compensation.

Kwon claims to have met Lee in Canada in 2008 during a promotional tour for the movie "The Good, The Bad and The Weird," and to have maintained contact with him since.

After a Japanese-Korean businessman and friend of Lee's offered to pay for her to move to Korea, Kwon said she left Canada and lived in an apartment in Jamsil-dong, southern Seoul before being forced to move out after just three months. Kwon claims that Lee's attitude changed after she moved to Korea and that she was ignored after being given money to live in an apartment in Bongcheon-dong.

A press release yesterday from Lee's management agency, BH Entertainment, revealed that Lee will file a countersuit for libel against Kwon.

Source : JoongAng Daily

Actor Lee Byung-hun sued by alleged booty call

Hallyu star Lee Byung-hun has been slapped with a lawsuit by a Korean-Canadian woman who claims she was duped into having a sexual relationship with the 39-year-old actor on the promise of marriage.

The woman identified as Kwon Mi-yeon, 22, took legal action yesterday with the Seoul Central District Court demanding that the star of the top rated television series "Iris" and G.I. Joe" pay her 100 million won citing physical damage and mental anguish as the basis for her lawsuit.

Lee's agency released a statement acknowledging that the actor had a girlfriend - whom he dated between last autumn and this spring - but that he had not done anything "reproachable." They said they will bring an action of libel against the lawsuit.

Lee's representatives also said that since November they had received anonymous calls threatening to expose their relationship

The male callers claimed to be acquaintances of the girlfriend and demanded 2 billion won for keeping quiet. Lee's representatives said they will request an investigation be conducted.

Based on Kwon's petition to the court, Newsis, a local wire, said in a report that Kwon was a rhythmic gymnast at York University and an active member of the Canadian National Gymnastics Team before she met Lee.

The report said that the two met last year in September while Lee was on a promotional tour for his film "The Good, The Bad and The Weird," in Toronto.

According to the report, Kwon was introduced to the actor through a mutual acquaintance and the two became close after she had been invited to various engagements with the actor.

Kwon claimed the two continued to stay in close contact even after Lee had left for New York after he had wrapped his promotional tour at the Toronto International Film Festival.

At the end of September, the two met again in Canada where the two began dating. Kwon continued to keep in contact with Lee through phone calls and email correspondence after the actor returned to Korea.

"At the end of last year when I visited Korea, I spent 10 days at (Lee's) house in Bundang. (He) introduced me as his lover to his mother and younger sister as well as to his friends," Kwon said according to Newsis.

"Lee Byung-hun's Korean-Japanese sponsor and businessman told me he would provide financial support for me to continue my studies and gymnastics career at a local university and told me to relocate here indefinitely," and added "to this (Lee) agreed so that's how I came to move here."

After her move to Korea earlier in July, Kwon claims she had been evicted after less than three months from an apartment in Jamsil, southern Seoul that Lee and his sponsor had provided for her.

Since her move to Korea, she said Lee had a change of heart about their future and gave her 10 million won to move into a duplex unit in Bongchon-dong.

Credits : Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

Lee Byung-hun accused of gambling by alleged ex-girlfriend

2009121110401527914_1.jpg

Korean actor Lee Byung-hun [Asia Economic Daily]

A woman who sued Hallyu star Lee Byung-hun of alluring her into a sexual relationship based on false promises of marriage, has also accused the actor of gambling.

The woman, a Korean-Canadian identified by her last name Kwon who claims to be Lee's ex-girlfriend, filed a complaint against the actor, saying that he has been involved in heavy gambling.

Lee's legal representative Kim & Chang stated that Kwon's accusations are baseless, claiming that Lee's acquaintances all describe Lee as someone who is not interested in gambling and went on to say that "Kwon appears to have a foul motive to tarnish Lee Byung-hun's image".

Kim & Chang submitted a petition on Thursday, requesting the Seoul Central District Court to look into the matter regarding Kwon and some blackmailers. According to Lee's agency BH Entertainment, anonymous male callers had been threatening to expose false details about the actor's relationship with Kwon unless Lee paid them several billions of wons.

Kim & Chang stressed that they will "get to the truth of the matter and prove Lee's innocence."

Lee, 39, has appeared in numerous Korean dramas and films, including TV series "All In" and director Park Chan-wook's 2000 film "Joint Security Area". He currently stars in hit TV series "Iris" co-starring actress Kim Tae-hee and actor Jung Jun-ho.

He also debuted in Hollywood this year with a supporting role in "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" alongside Channing Tatum and Sienna Miller and starred in action thriller "I Come with the Rain" with Josh Hartnett and Takuya Kimura which also showed in theaters this year.

Lee plans to carry out his future schedule according to plan, wrapping up shooting of KBS TV series "Iris" and attend a fan meeting at Tokyo Dome next week.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

"Thirst" voted top ten movies of the year by TIME

2009121017202091734_1.jpg

Movie poster for Korean film "Thirst" [CJ Entertainment]

Korean film "Thirst" has been chosen one of the top ten movies of the year by TIME magazine.

The vampire flick, directed by noted filmmaker Park Chan-wook, was picked as the No. 10 movie in the magazine's list for "The Top 10 Everything of 2009".

TIME's film critic Richard Corliss wrote that it was "our vampire movie of the year" despite its low box-office returns compared to Hollywood blockbuster "New Moon", which is also about vampires. Corliss in particular praised the film's lead actress Kim Ok-vin, describing her as "Lady Chatterley and Lady Macbeth in one smoldering package".

"Thirst", which stars Korean actor Song Kang-ho as a catholic priest who accidentally turns into a vampire, won the Jury Prize at Cannes earlier this year.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10AsiaAll rights reserved>

2009-12-10

Thirst Wins Tenth Place in Time’s Top 10 Movies

20091210_79.jpg

The Park Chan-wook film “Thirst,” winner of the Cannes International Film Festival's Jury Prize, has been ranked tenth in Time magazine’s Top 10 Movies of 2009 on December 8.

Time named “Thirst” its vampire movie of the year over New Moon. In particular, it had high praise for leading lady Kim Ok-vin, saying “She is Lady Chatterley and Lady Macbeth in one smoldering package.”

Time said Kim’s performance of the character, “who evolves from a creature of mute docility to one of desperate ardor, then explosive eroticism, then murderous intent,” was a new find.

“The Princess and the Frog” topped the list, followed by “Up” in second place. “Fantastic Mr. Fox” took third place, making the top three positions all animated films.

Source : KBS WORLD

Rain's documentary wins 3 Asian TV Awards

2009121112483816521_1.jpg

Korean singer and actor Rain [Asia Economic Daily]

A documentary about Korean superstar Rain, "Hip Korea - Rain", has won three awards at the 14th Asia TV Awards (ATA), according to a press release by agency J. Tune Entertainment.

The documentary, which scored four nominations last month, was named the winner of Best Cross-Platform Content at the ATA 2009 Gala Dinner on December 3. It also received "Highly Commended" marks for Best Music Program and Best Infotainment Program.

"Hip Korea - Rain" shows the past and present accomplishments of the Korean star -- from his childhood upbringing to the journey leading up to his success in music, television and movies.

The Asia Television Awards(ATA), which is considered Asia’s equivalent of the Emmys, selects the best television programs that aired in the region including Korea, Japan, China, Singapore, India, Australia and New Zealand. This year, 204 programs from 14 countries were selected for the finals, out of some 1,000 television programs that had been submitted.

The documentary was produced by Singapore-based company Bang Productions, which previously made “Crossings: Jackie Chan”. It aired worldwide on the Discovery Channel earlier this year.

Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, started his career as a trainee at Korea's major talent agency JYP Entertainment in 2002. He quickly gained fame throughout Asia, releasing five albums in Korea and starring in hit televisions dramas including "Full House" and "Sang Doo! Let's Go To School".

Last year, he made his Hollywood debut in the Wachowski Brothers' action flick "Speed Racer", which led to his recent star turn in the martial arts movie "Ninja Assassin".

Reporter : Park Kun-ouc kun1112@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

December 10, 2009

Actress returns to film in a new role as herself

‘It would be a lie to say I feel no pressure because the movie captures us in such private moments.’

09210005.jpg

Ko Hyeon-jeong is enjoying a renaissance in

her career, winning critical acclaim for her

work this year. [YONHAP]

For actress Ko Hyeon-jeong, the year 2009 will be remembered as the busiest, yet most rewarding of her career, as she has been recognized for her powerful acting skills on both the small and big screens.

She displayed an unprecedented amount of charisma in the hit TV drama “Queen Seondeok” as Mishil, a strong female character in whom good and evil coexist as she enforces her rule and pursues her own desires. The show marked the rare appearance of a strong female character in the Korean drama scene.

Ko also won acclaim for her role in the movie “Like You Know It All” directed by Hong Sang-soo. It was her second collaboration with the director after the 2006 movie “Woman on the Beach.”

She left acting in 1995 when she got married to current Shinsegae Group CEO Chung Yong-jin. She returned to acting 10 years later following a very public divorce.

09210113.jpg

A scene from the movie “The

Actresses”

featuring six screen

beauties.Provided by Sponge Ent.Ko is now set to make a splash with her role in the movie “The Actresses,” which opens in local theaters today.

The movie follows six actresses who come together for a Vogue magazine photo shoot on Christmas Eve. It features six high-profile actresses - Yoon Yeo-jeong, Lee Mi-sook, Choi Ji-woo, Kim Min-hee, Kim Ok-vin and Ko - and shows the range of emotions they go through as they deal with having to share the spotlight.

In the movie, each actress plays herself, revealing hidden anxieties and ambitions as the movie progresses. But the actresses walk a fine line between reality and fantasy, making viewers wonder whether they are acting or sharing something of their true selves. The movie is shot like a reality show and uses improvised dialogue and scenes, and the plot draws on the actresses’ real lives, while also mixing in elements of fiction.

In one scene, Ko, who plays a divorcee dating a younger man in the movie, picks a fight with actress Choi Ji-woo and speaks her mind about what it is like to live as a divorcee.

Ko’s real-life experience as a divorcee informed her on screen role.

Following are excerpts from a recent interview with her.

Q. How did you come to participate in this film?

A.The film is in fact the result of a conversation I had with director E J-yong, who is a friend of mine. He once told me that he didn’t understand why actresses cannot bond like their male counterparts, who do so by way of things like participating in a baseball team, to which I replied, “No, we girls also get together,” and that’s how it all began. I actually have a lot in common with the character in that I also have a temper.

Who wrote the script?

There was an original screenplay by the director, but we [the actresses] shaped each character by adding our own thoughts and anecdotes. For instance, there is a scene in which the senior Lee Mi-sook says to my character, who is about to get a divorce, “You should’ve said what you needed to say [during your marriage].” That was actually something she said to me.

Viewers are likely to connect the character you play with the real you. What do you think about that?

The bottom line is that this is fiction. However, it would be a lie to say that I feel no pressure at all [about playing myself] because the movie captures us in such private moments. Also, no matter how much I try to beautify myself in the movie, some people will still find bad things about me and some will still misunderstand me, judging me just by what they see in the movie.

The director has likened the movie to jazz, which is characterized by improvisation.

During shooting we were asked to act as if we were in a play. The movie is set in a dressing room with mirrors all around and we had five or six cameras rolling at the same time - placed so they wouldn’t be seen - meaning we had to work together so that we wouldn’t ruin the sequences. Since shooting that way would have been impossible without cooperation

among us, we didn’t have the space or time to get in each other’s way, as people are likely to imagine. (Laughs.)

The Actresses, which is now playing at local theaters, recently received an invitation to the 60th Berlin Film Festival to be held next February.

Credits : Yang Sung-hee, Park Sun-young [spark0320@joongang.co.kr]

Credits : JoongAng Daily

December 11, 2009

Festival puts indie films in the spotlight

10212234.jpg

The 2009 Seoul Independent Film Festival opened with an omnibus film titled “One

Night Stand” made by three Korean filmmakers. The film is part of the festival’s new

“Indie Triangle Project,” which is supporting the film from its production to its

distribution. Provided by the organizer

This year, independent films have attracted a fair share of interest from the Korean film industry and moviegoers, particularly with the release of the low-budget indie films “Breathless” and “Old Partner,” both of which won critical acclaim at home and abroad.

That’s why the Seoul Independent Film Festival, which opened yesterday, is so timely. The event presents a wide selection of indie movies made each year, and has long provided a comprehensive look at independent cinema in Korea, serving as a catalogue of its past and a barometer for its future.

“In fact, Old Partner and Breathless received favorable reviews at last year’s event and I think that was a sort of prelude to what we have seen this year,” Cho Young-kag, the director of the Seoul Independent Film Festival, said.

Held every December, the festival is the biggest indie film event in the country. It is also the oldest, when its predecessors are taken into account. The festival began in 1975 as the Korean Youth Film Festival, became the Golden Crown Short Film Festival and then was renamed the Korean Independent Short Film Festival in 1999. SIFF celebrates its 35th anniversary this year.

Under the theme of “Hit & Run,” this year’s SIFF will screen about 90 films, which were selected out of a record 722 submissions. Among them, 45 films - 34 shorts and 11 features - are expected to compete for the top award, which offers a prize of 15 million won ($12,900).

The festival opener was an omnibus film titled “One Night Stand,” which was made with the participation of filmmakers Min Yong-keun, Lee Yu-rim, and Chang Hoon.

“Three directors made this omnibus film, which depicts mixed feelings related to the ‘one-night stand’ situation, such as passion, fear and confusion,” Cho said.

It is a product of the festival’s new “Indie Triangle Project,” which is supporting the film from its production to its distribution. The film hits local theaters in March, organizers said.

A notable feature of the films to be presented this year is the critical look they take at two issues in Korean society - redevelopment and the so-called “880,000-won generation.”

The redevelopment issue flared following a fire in the Yongsan District earlier this year.

The phrase “880,000 won-generation” refers to the situation facing the younger generation in Korea, who are dealing with the worst job market in history. (The figure, about $750, is the estimated monthly income of a non-regular worker in their 20s.)

The films “Dear Sujin,” “Somewhere Unreached,” the animated film “880,000 Won” and the documentary “Give Me Back My Youth” from the short film competition section are examples of films that depict the sufferings of the 880,000-won generation, according to Kim E-hwan, a novelist and columnist who writes regularly about independent film and served as a preliminary judge for the festival.

“Another feature of this year’s event is that it is dominated by female directors as well as documentary films. Seven of the 11 films in the feature competition section are documentaries and five of the seven are by women directors,” Cho, the festival director said.

The nine-day film festival runs through next Friday at Spongehouse and Indie Space, located at the Joongang Cinema in Jung-gu, central Seoul. Tickets cost 5,000 won for general screenings and can only be purchased on site. Most films will be shown with English subtitles. For more information, visit www.siff.or.kr.

Credits : Park Sun-young

Lim Ju-hwan to meet with Japanese fans this weekend

2009121114443033747_1.jpg

Korean actor Lim Ju-hwan [Yedang Entertainment]

Korean actor Lim Ju-hwan will be visiting Tokyo to celebrate the success of his television drama "Tamra, the Island", according to his agency Yedang Entertainment on Friday.

The actor will meet with some 1,600 fans at a promotional event for the show, which has been airing on cable channel Mnet Japan since October 26.

The 27-year-old actor explained that he was "nervous to meet the Japanese fans" because he would be representing everyone who worked so hard on the show. "But I'm honored to be able to express my gratitude in person and will do my best to have a meaningful time with the Japanese fans who have given so much support to 'Tamra'".

Lim made his debut in 2004 in SBS TV series "Magic". He has since appeared in many television dramas including "A Love to Kill" (KBS2, 2005), "General Hospital 2" (MBC, 2008) and the mega-successful "Boys Over Flowers" earlier this year.

He has also appeared in several Korean movies such as "Frozen Flower", "Arang" and "A Millionaire's First Love", which stars Korean actors Hyun Bin and Lee Yeon-hee.

The event will be held at Tokyo's Yamano Hall on Sunday, at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.

December 11, 2009

A picture-perfect and remake-ready ‘Secret’

10212148.jpg

Cha Seung-won plays Kim Seong-yeol, a detective with

as much to hide as he has to solve in “Secret.” Provided

by CJ Entertainment

Since the release of “The Departed” in 2006, it’s hard to imagine that any Hollywood screenwriter or studio executive has watched a high-profile or high-quality film from East Asia and wondered how they could repackage it for American consumers.

The Departed, of course, was a remake of the 2002 Hong Kong film “Infernal Affairs,” and wound up being quite a piece of cinema in its own right, garnering Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay. (You have to wonder how the makers of the original felt about that last award, in particular.)

So while watching “Secret” - a stylish thriller with corrupt Seoul cops, a disintegrating marriage and a complex story line that unfolds nicely, if not altogether neatly - I couldn’t shake the thought that it’s only a matter of time before Brett Ratner would be directing Colin Farrell and Jennifer Garner in a version of this film set in New York and Chicago.

Secret’s star is Cha Seung-won, who plays homicide detective Kim Seong-yeol, a man with plenty to hide. A year before the film takes place, his daughter was killed in a car accident. Kim had been drunk behind the wheel, and speaking on a mobile phone - to his mistress, no less, with whom he had just finished, uh, liaising.

His wife, Ji-yeon, played by Song Yoon-ah, is in the dark about the details and has been distant ever since. One night she comes home looking even less with-it than normal, and has bloodstains on her shirt. Moments later, Kim is called to a murder scene where more than a few pieces of evidence suggest that Ji-yeon had just been there.

From the outset, Kim dutifully covers up evidence, keeps witnesses quiet and pushes canards to keep his wife safe. Unfortunately, it turns out that the victim was the brother of a powerful and pernicious organized crime boss out for blood, Jae-kal (Ryu Seung-ryong). Meanwhile, Ji-yeon refuses to answer any of Kim’s questions about the night of the murder.

Further adding to Kim’s problems is the return of his former partner, Detective Choi (Park Won-sang), back from a suspension after Kim had ratted him out for the murder of a suspect.

Everything that plays out ought to keep audiences trailing behind by a few yards but firmly on the hook, although by the end you’ll wish you could look at the shooting script to sort out some time-line issues.

The cast do a uniformly fine job of playing straight-outta-Gangnam good-looking and sullen, but standing out from the rest is Ryu as Jae-kal the mobster, who is having enough fun busting heads that his delight ought to rub off on the viewer.

Secret was written and directed by Yoon Jae-gu, a first-time director whose previous effort was the screenplay for the 2007 film thriller “Seven Days,” a word-of-mouth hit that year.

Guess what? Within weeks of its release here, the rights to remake Seven Days had been sold to Summit Entertainment, the Hollywood studio behind “The Twilight Saga.” It appears, however, that nothing ever got off the ground. Luckily for Yoon, he’s probably still on the radar of a studio that’s going to have a billion dollars of walking-around money to spend on remakes.

Credits : Andrew Siddons [asiddons@gmail.com]

12-11-2009

Documentary Featuring Rain Claims 3 Asian TV Awards

091211_p16_documentary.jpg

Singer and actor Rain

A documentary featuring Korean singer and actor Rain won three awards at the 14th Asian Television Awards (ATA), according to the singer's agency J.Tune Entertainment, Friday.

``Hip Korea ― Rain,'' took home three awards, including the runner-up in the Best Music Program category, the Best Infotainment Program and the Best Cross Platform Content.

The final announcement for the awards was confirmed at the ATA 2009 Gala Dinner held in Singapore, Dec. 3.

The documentary featured the past, present and future of the 27-year-old, who starred in the recently released movie ``Ninja Assassin'' produced by the Wachowski brothers, with the dynamic city of Seoul as the backdrop. It carried the story of the young aspiring singer who had to work hard to make it to the top and also his ongoing efforts in not only singing, but also acting and designing.

The program's crew filmed the star for six months, covering him up-close and personal, including interviews with the singer's friend and fellow entertainer Kim Jae-dong, U.S. television host Stephen Colbert and also Susan Sarandon who co-starred with him in the film ``Speed Racer.''

The program aired in various countries after production, starting with Australia, New Zealand and then around Asia.

The ATA is an event made to recognize and reward astounding programming and productions in the Asian television industry, from countries including Korea, Japan, China, India, Australia and New Zealand. This year, 1,020 programs from 16 countries competed for the 204 awards.

Rain, who recently finished touring in Asia with his concert ``Legend of Rainism,'' is one of the biggest stars in Korea. After captivating Asian fans as a singer, actor and even a fashion designer, he moved to Hollywood, appearing in the film ``Speed Racer'' and landing the lead role in the movie ``Ninja Assassin.''

Credits : Han Sang-hee, Staff Reporter (sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr)

Lee, Kim become honorary agents

On Wednesday, the five main cast members of KBS drama "Iris" - Lee Byung-hun, Kim Tae-hee, Jeong Jun-ho, Kim Seung-woo and Kim So-yeon - were given honorary NIS memberships by National Intelligence Service Director Won Sei-hoon, the agency said yesterday. Producing company Taewon Entertainment was also rewarded a plaque of appreciation, and after the ceremony at the NIS headquarters, beneficiaries were invited to lunch with NIS members.

"We feel 'Iris' has helped promote the importance of national security and counterterrorist intelligence activities. Therefore, as a means of showing our encouragement and appreciation, we have decided to present the five principal cast members with honorary memberships," said the PR representative of NIS. They were, however, unable to allow photographs to be taken within the headquarters.

The drama series is based on national security service activities combating conspiracies against Korean reunification. Producers of "Iris" were given assistance from the NIS during the production of the series.

Byung-hun and Kim Tae-hee have become secret service agents, not only on screen but also in reality.

Festival highlights key social issues

200912110001.jpg

The 35th Seoul Independent Film Festival kicked off its nine-day run yesterday, featuring 84 movies under the theme of "Hit & Run."

Although indie films are yet to solidify their position, the impressive box-office performances of "Old Partner" and "Daytime Drinking" infused the genre with fresh momentum.

The festival opened with "One Night Stand," a 98-minute omnibus film of three directors - Min Yong-geun, Lee Yu-rim and Jang Hun. The three shorts attempt to lay bare human desire, fear and bewilderment by introducing characters who stumble into unexpected situations.

The festival, held at Indie Space and Sponge House in downtown Seoul, is one of the key venues in which Korean indie filmmakers show off their latest works to the public. The organizers received a record 722 entries for the competition section, reflecting the festival's rising popularity, and 45 finalists are now competing for the prizes.

In the competition section, a host of films probe the deepening problems in a Korean society beset by uncertainty, particularly among youth as the number of decent jobs dwindles.

"There are many films about the young, who are called the '880,000 won generation.' These films are about the young generation who cannot find their visions and wander in the age of limitless competition," said Cho Young-kag, festival director.

Among notable feature-length films in the competition section are director Hong Hyung-sook's "The Border City 2," which shows the shallowness of Korean society by helping audiences rethink what is known as "Red Complex."

"Eighteen," directed by Jang Kun-jae, revolve around Tae-hoon and Mi-jung, who are both 18 years old and now in love with each other, only to confront a serious turn of events that tear up their relationships.

In the short film competition section, a total of 665 short films were submitted to the festival and 34 films made it to the final stage. Kim I-hwan Kim, a jury member of the festival, said many filmmakers in the short section also went for young Koreans struggling to stay afloat during the protracted economic downturn.

"Many films deal with the unstable youth employment problem and this trend is reflected in 'Dear Sujin,' which shows the agony a female supermarket clerk feels after betraying her colleague and 'Somewhere Unreached,' in which a young person who supports his family comes across bigger problems and sees no way out."

The festival's special screening section this year features Filipino indie films, which include Lav Diaz's "Criminal of Barrio Concepcion," Mario O'hara's "Woman of Breakwater Philippines" and Auraeus Solito's "The Blossoming of Maximo Oliveros."

A special invitation section is devoted to Korean-Chinese director Zhang Lu, whose films have been honored in various international film festivals. The program includes his representative shorts such as "11" and "Fact" and Woo Hye-kyoung's documentary titled "Zhang Lu."

For further information about the film festival, visit its homepage at www.siff.or.kr or call (02) 362-9513.

Credits : Yang Sung-jin (insight@heraldm.com)

(Movie Review)

'Oldboy' heroine narrowly saves mediocre romantic comedy

SEOUL, Dec. 10 (Yonhap) -- She might not be the prettiest or even the most talented actress in South Korea, but Kang Hye-jung is clearly one in a million when it comes to the effort and energy she puts into her profession.

20091210144254_bodyfile.jpg

From the plucky heroine in Cannes-winning "Oldboy (2003)" to the mentally retarded girl in "Welcome to Dongmakgol (2005)," Kang has taken up so many different roles in the past decade that her acting career already seems full and complete at the young age of 27. This year alone, Kang has starred in four movies, wasting no time in expanding her vast filmography.

In "Girlfriends," the last of Kang's movies to be released this year, the actress again gives her best, managing to turn a plain romantic comedy into something worth watching -- if only barely.

Song-i, played by Kang, is a 29-year-old city girl still in search of the man of her dreams.

When Gong-yu (Bae Soo-bin), a handsome and seemingly good-natured colleague at work, confesses his long-hidden feelings for her, Song-i begins to think her ordinary life might turn out to be exciting after all -- until she meets Se-jin (Han Chae-young) and Bo-ra (Heo I-jae), two attractive women who say they are also in love with her boyfriend.

20091210144317_bodyfile.jpg

Angry and heartbroken, Song-i attempts to end it with Gong-yu, but is confused when he persuades her change her mind in an earnest, tearful plea. Hoping to solve the mystery of why this "heartless three-timer" doesn't seem like such a bad guy at all, Song-i decides to approach the two women and begins to feel unexpected compassion and empathy toward them.

Inspired by a 2007 local award-winning novel under the same title, "Girlfriends" blends elements well-tested in South Korean romantic comedies, but the mixture fails to produce anything that feels new.

The movie does a lackluster job of capturing the essence of the amusing friendship between three women in love with the same man, leaving too many gaps for audiences to fill in by themselves.

Apart from Kang, the two other actresses playing Se-jin and Bo-ra also fail to distinguish their characters from one another, sometimes appearing awkward and even clumsy in their acting.

Kang, however, still manages to shine, provoking laughter from the audience as she fumes, tumbles and cries in frustration. By breathing life into her willowy character, she nearly succeeds at making this outlandish situation believable.

The stable and consistent energy Kang puts into even the most unlikely movies shows why she remains at the top of South Korea's competitive entertainment ladder despite the disappointing box-office results of her more recent films.

20091210144339_bodyfile.jpg

"It didn't feel like working. I felt more like having a good time with friends while we were filming," the actress, now married to hip-hop singer Tablo and about five months into pregnancy, told the audience during the movie's preview Wednesday.

"Girlfriends," with a running time of 115 minutes, will hit local cinemas Dec. 17.

Credits : Shin Hae-in (hayney@yna.co.kr)

Source : Yonhap News

2009-12-10

Lee Byung-hun Takes Legal Action against Threats

Top star Lee Byung-hun issued a press release on December 9 stating he had been threatened by unidentified people. In the press release, he requested an investigation.

7226_662_l.jpg

The actor's agency, BH Entertainment, said Lee and his manager had been receiving phone calls since last month threatening to spread false rumors about the actor's relationship with his former girlfriend and demanding 2 billion won. Lee dated his former girlfriend from fall last year to spring this year. As the actor did not respond to the threats, the culprits filed a civil lawsuit against him, with his former girlfriend acting as a plaintiff.

The agency said Lee had requested an investigation because he had not done anything wrong and would take legal action for defamation. The agency's CEO, Sohn Seok-woo, added that the scandal broke out just when Lee was focused on shooting the TV drama "Iris" and that the actor was determined to make a strong response because he was not guilty.

Lee's former girlfriend, identified only by her last name Kwon, sued Lee on December 8 but no further details were available.

Source : KBS Global

Dec.10, 2009

Lee Byung-hun Sued for Breach of Marriage Promise

2009121000658_0.jpg

Lee Byung-hun

Top star Lee Byung-hun, who currently stars in KBS hit drama "Iris," is being sued by a woman who claims to have been cheated by Lee of a promise of marriage. Lee's lawyer denied the accusation and said the star is countersuing for defamation.

According to the Seoul Central District Court on Wednesday, a 22-year-old Korean-Canadian woman identified as Kwon filed a lawsuit against the 39-year-old star, claiming that she suffered mental and physical anguish from a sexual relationship due to Lee's false promise of marriage. She described herself as Lee's girlfriend, and demanded W100 million (US$1=W1,163) in compensation.

Kwon claims she was introduced to Lee by an acquaintance in Canada last year, and a romantic relationship began. She came to Korea in July to meet Lee, but he has been avoiding her. Kwon said when she came to Korea at the end of last year, she stayed at Lee's home for 10 days and he introduced her to his family as his girlfriend.

Lee's lawyer said the actor did have a girlfriend whom he started dating in the fall of last year, but they broke up in spring. Since last month, several men who did not give their name have been calling Lee and his manager, threatening to divulge a scandal related to his girlfriend and demanding W2 billion. Lawyers for Lee are asking police to investigate the threatening calls.

Source : englishnewa@chosun. com

Yoon Eun-hye celebrates early Xmas with Japanese fans

2009121116431156215_2.jpg

Korean actress Yoon Eun-hye attends her fan meeting in Japan on December 4, 2009. [The House Company]

Korean actress Yoon Eun-hye had a successful fan meeting in Japan on December 4, according to her agency The House Company Entertainment.

The Christmas-themed event, held at Osaka's Brava Hall, was attended by some 1,000 fans including Milo, the leader of new J-pop group The Smile.

During the event, people had the chance to share their Christmas stories with the Hallyu star, and one young fan made a surprise Christmas wish and asked Yoon to marry him.

The actress also held a mini-concert, performing Natalie Cole's "Love" and some Christmas carols. She wrapped up the three-hour fan meeting by shaking hands with everyone who came to the event.

Yoon Eun-hye, who debuted as a member of girl group Baby VOX ten years ago, rose to stardom with smash hit TV series "Coffee Prince" in 2007 and starred in "My Fair Lady" earlier this year.

2009121116431156215_3.jpg

Korean actress Yoon Eun-hye attends her fan meeting in Japan on December 4, 2009. [The House Company]

2009-12-11

Interview with Stars of ‘The Slave Hunters’

“The Slave Hunters,” which is scheduled to air on January 6 on KBS2, is a period drama about two men--one chasing a slave who ruined his noble family and the other an army general reduced to a slave--and a woman both men love. Jang Hyuk will play the slave hunter Lee Dae-gil and Oh Ji-ho the army general Song Tae-ha. Lee Da-hae was cast for the role of the lucky woman Kim Hye-won. The three stars gave a pleasant interview ahead of the show’s release.

310_834_l.jpg

From left, Oh Ji-ho, Lee Da-hae and Jang Hyuk

Q. (To Oh Ji-ho and Lee Da-hae) This is the first time you two have appeared in a period drama. How do you like it?

Oh: It was certainly not easy at first. The way of talking was quite unfamiliar to me, and I was told a lot that it didn’t suit my image. I also felt pressure since this is the first time I’ve starred in a historical drama. But now I am really enjoying it. Compared to dramas of present-day life, an epic drama has fewer lines to deliver but has more spectacular scenes to watch. There’s more fun in shooting it.

Lee: I too was worried a lot since I’ve never appeared in an epic show. But it turned out to be really fun. Now I have no problem climbing a mountain and answering nature’s call on a mountainside. The thing I like most is that I can spend a lot of time with other cast members and staff. Because the shooting takes place in a remote mountain, we have no choice but to be together all the time, eating together and talking together.

310_835_l.jpg

Q. (To Jang Hyuk and Lee Da-hae) This is the second time you two have starred in a drama together. How do you feel about it?

Lee: It’s good to work with him again. I feel comfortable acting since I already know him.

Jang: I found her very cool when we performed together in the previous show. So I’m very happy to work with her again. And I think a lot about how I can successfully express feelings for her since we are parted early in the drama and reunited a long time later.

Q. (To Jang Hyuk and Oh Ji-ho) It seems you will be able to impress many fans with your well-built bodies. How have each of you worked out to build such a physique?

Jang: I’ve tried to make my body suitable for my character, who needs to look agile rather than muscular. And that’s what the director wanted as well. He told us that since the drama is about men who basically live on the street, we need to engage in lots of physical activities and look tough and swift.

Oh: I’m not as well-built as Jang. All actors in our drama boast a good body. Jang’s even nicknamed “chocolate man” because his stomach is so well-built that it looks like a square chocolate bar.

Lee Da-hae interrupted, saying, “That’s why I like coming to the shoot. I was surprised to see all of them have such a nice body. Jang and Oh are making real efforts to keep fit and they like working out so much that they do it even on the set whenever they find available time.”

Q. (To Oh Ji-ho) Do you have any difficulty playing your role since he is supposed to be good at martial arts as an army general?

Oh: I had a hard time at first. Not only is it the first time that I appear in a historical and action drama, but I also have to use a big, heavy sword. I had lots of cuts and injuries. But I’ve gotten used to it, and Jang helps me a lot. So, it’s ok now.

Q. (To Jang Hyuk and Oh Ji-ho) You are at odds with each other in the drama. But how do you get along in reality?

Oh: We hit it off easily because we are the same age, although our interests are a bit different since he’s married and I’m not. I don’t usually gets nervous about people I work with, but I do when I’m with Jang because he is such a great actor who gives all he has to his role. And he is humorous, too.

Jang: I think Oh is very smart. He is also doing his best in his work. And I’m more humorous than Oh. (laughter) That’s perhaps because I’m married.

Q. (To Lee Da-hae) You must be very happy to be at the shoot, right? And who is closer to your ideal type?

Lee: Yes, I am. It’s so much fun. Often I am the only woman at the shoot, so everyone is so kind to me. I won’t be able to do any other work after this. And it’s hard to tell who is closer to my ideal type because both of them have their own charms.

Hearing that, Oh said jokingly, “You should choose me since I’m single,” while Jang said, “It’s just ideal type, and you should remember that we have starred together previously.”

The three stars all promised to give a good performance and asked viewers to show interest in the drama.

Writer: KBSi Jin Yeong-ju

Video: KBSi Chung Yeon-kyu, Kim Seung-hee

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi

Dec.12, 2009

Yang Mi-ra on How Plastic Surgery Backfired

2009121200264_1.jpg

Yang Mi-ra /Courtesy of HJ Entertainment

Actress Yang Mi-ra has spoken publicly about the difficulties she went through after cosmetic surgery in 2007. Yang, who made a comeback on TV after two years of absence on SBS talk show "Kang Shim Jang."

"After the surgery, I felt I could only survive if nobody saw me." She was met with a torrent of malicious comments and virulent criticisms after the surgery, making her life miserable.

Yang had cosmetic surgery to change her image, and produced a photo catalogue featuring her new look. "I made that sexy photo catalogue in order to break away from my girly image. I wanted to be seen as a woman, but I was too ambitious," she says.

The photos were met mostly with disapproval. Yang was barely able to leave the house and started avoiding people. She quit all her professional activities, which ranged from advertisements to TV programs.

Source : englishnews@chosun.com

"New Moon" stays atop Korean box office

2009121410221967224_1.jpg

Poster for Hollywood film "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" [Pan Cinema]

Hollywood film "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" saw a smashing second week in Korea, repeating its stay atop the domestic box office over the weekend.

According to estimates released by Korea Box Office Information System (KOBIS) on Monday, "New Moon" took the top place on the Korean box office with 407,395 viewers for the weekend of December 11-13. The vampire flick has attracted over 1.5 million viewers since its release on December 2.

"Law Abiding Citizen", starring Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler, came in second with 311,469 viewers over the weekend while blockbuster "2012" remained strong at No. 3 with 243,333 viewers. "2012" has attracted over five million viewers in Korea since its release on November 12.

Korean movie "Saving My Wife" stood at No. 4 with 231,769 viewers and "Actresses", which stars six Korean actresses as themselves, rounded out the top five with 200,733 viewers on its opening weekend.

Other films included in the top ten were Hollywood movies "Ninja Assassin", "A Christmas Carol" and Korean movies "The Descendants of Hong Gil-dong", "White Night" and "Fly Up".

Weekend Box Office: Dec 11-13 [TNS Media Korea]

2009121411110509405_1.jpg

South Korea's box office estimates for the weekend of December 11 to 13.

[Korean Box Office Information System (KOBIS)]/ 10Asia

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

2009-12-14

Lee Byung-hun Shares His Thoughts on Rumors

Top actor Lee Byung-hun, who has been sued by his former girlfriend, has posted a message on his personal blog in which he shared his thoughts on the recently circulating rumors about him.

7229_669_l.jpg

Lee wrote, "I don't know how to begin this message. I wish I were writing it to share good news with you, since I'm posting it for the first time in a while. My agency and attorney tried to dissuade me from doing this but I decided to post this message because many people are worried about me. All the distorted facts and rumors about me will be dispelled in a legal way, even though that might take a while. But what matters most is that things that should have remained as beautiful memories are unfortunately being used for the distortion of facts and that people who once cared about each other have ended up this way. It's very heartbreaking."

Lee also added, "As an actor, I have always believed that sometimes the best way to explain distorted and malicious things is by being reticent. And my belief will not change in the future. Truth is discovered not through words but through one's heart. I apologize for causing trouble to you. I will do my best not to get my colleagues into trouble because of me, since the drama shoot is not over yet. I'll just pretend that nothing has happened. I will always stay where I am, unwavered. Thank you."

Lee's former girlfriend sued the actor on December 8, demanding compensation. A few days later, she sued Lee for illegal gambling. In a press release, Lee's agency said that the actor had dated his former girlfriend from fall last year to spring this year and that he received threatening calls from unidentified men after breaking up with her. They demanded that he pay them 2 billion won. Lee has requested that the Seoul District Court conduct an investigation into what he claims are false accusations.

On December 13, Lee's former girlfriend disclosed photos showing herself with the actor.

Lee Byung-hun speaks to fans about lawsuit

2009121416131758427_2.jpg

Lee Byung-hun's handwritten letter to fans [Lee Byung-hun's official website]

Actor Lee Byung-hun, who has been sued by a woman claiming Lee duped her with false promises of marriage, spoke on the issue for the first time through a handwritten letter to fans.

"I don't know how I should start this...... My agency and attorney did not want me to, but I'm writing this because I think many of you may be concerned," the 39-year-old actor said in the letter scanned and posted on his official website on Sunday.

He then addressed the complaint filed by the woman, a Korean-Canadian identified by her last name Kwon, saying that "the detailed truths to the distorted facts that are currently out in the world and other stories which may surface in the future will all be revealed through legal processes, no matter how long it takes."

"But what's more important is the sad reality that what should have been left as a special and dear memory has now taken on a unfavorable sight and the heartbreaking truth that two people who once cared for each other, have come to such a situation, whatever the reason," Lee said, officially confirming Kwon's claim that two had been in a romantic relationship.

He finished the letter by apologizing for causing concern, adding he will continue to fulfill his responsibility as an actor as best he can. "I will try to be indifferent about this. I hope you will too. I remain where I was -- I am not faltering.

Earlier in the day, Newsis and a couple media outlets revealed a photograph the former couple had taken together in front of a condominium at a ski resort in Gangwon Province late last year.

Lee's legal representatives at Kim & Chang filed a suit of libel against Kwon and related figures for exposing the photo which Kwon was said to have released to the press as proof of her claims.

Kwon had lodged an initial complaint to the Seoul Central District Court last Tuesday, demanding 100 million won (87,000 dollars) in compensation for the physical and psychological suffering she underwent for being allured into a sexual relationship with Lee based on his false promise that they would tie the knot. Several days later, she also accused the actor of being involved in heaving gambling.

Kim & Chang stressed that Kwon "appears to have a foul motive to tarnish Lee Byung-hun's image" and submitted a petition to court, requesting for an investigation into the matter along with some blackmailers.

According to Lee's agency BH Entertainment, anonymous male callers had been threatening to expose false details about the actor's relationship with Kwon unless Lee paid them several billions of wons.

Lee, 39, has appeared in numerous Korean dramas and films, including TV series "All In" and director Park Chan-wook's 2000 film "Joint Security Area". He also debuted in Hollywood this year with a supporting role in "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" alongside Channing Tatum and Sienna Miller and starred in action thriller "I Come with the Rain" with Josh Hartnett and Takuya Kimura which also showed in theaters this year.

He currently stars in hit TV series "Iris" co-starring actress Kim Tae-hee and actor Jung Jun-ho. Lee also plans to attend a fan meeting at Tokyo Dome on Thursday this week, alongside other top Hallyu stars including Jang Dong-gun, Won Bin and Song Seung-hun.

Reporter : Park So-yoen muse@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

Archived