[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

2009/10/15

Film market rings up US$2 million worth of movie sales

SEOUL, Oct. 15 (Yonhap) -- Twenty-three films including South Korea's "Deathbell" and "Old Partner" were sold during a four-day film market in South Korea, adding up to sales of approximately US$2 million, the event's organizers said Thursday.

The Asian Film Market, held while the Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF) was under way, has been growing into a key marketplace for the film business since it started in 2006. This year's market drew 74 participating companies, the organizers said.

Among 43 films screened during the market, 23 from Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Germany and Vietnam were sold to overseas firms.

Seoul's Indiestory sold its documentary "Old Partner" to Taiwan while Mirovision sold “Deathbell” to Thailand, Japan and France. Germany's "Tricks" was sold to Japan, and Japan's "Bare Essence of Life" was sold to Korea.

During the Oct. 11-15 event, Korea's CJ Entertainment and Japan's T-Joy also announced the launching of a joint venture and will soon announce their co-project.

The Pusan Promotion Plan (PPP), a pre-market venue where promising filmmakers and producers meet with potential co-producers and financiers, drew 30 projects with some 500 meetings held this year. Established in 1999, the PPP has been connecting young and little-known directors to funding sources from in and out of Asia.

The Pusan Award, for which the South Korean port city provides $20,000 to a selected PPP project, went to Japanese director Aoyama Shinji's "Decadent Sisters."

Market organizers said they will launch an online market screening system and establish a joint producers' workshop with the European Audiovisual Entrepreneurs (EAVE) next year.

The 14th Pusan International Film Festival, which uses the old Romanization of the southeastern city Busan's name, opened Oct. 8 and runs through Friday, featuring 355 films from 70 countries as the largest of the annual event to date.

"The Message," a lavish period spy flick about communists fighting against Japanese invaders, will close the event. Co-directed by Chen Kuofu and Gao Qunshu, the movie is one of the most impressive Chinese films of the year, organizers said.

Credits : Shin Hae-in (hayney@yna.co.kr)

Source : Yonhap News, The Korea Herald

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SS501 Kim Hyun-joong TVC shoot photos revealed

2009101514010624147_1.jpg

SS501 member Kim Hyun-joong [Tony Moly]

Photographs of a fully-recovered and chic-looking SS501 leader Kim Hyun-joong on set for a television commercial shoot were revealed on Thursday.

"We released the photos for fans who had been curious about Kim," said global cosmetics brand Tony Moly of the 23-year-old singer who turned up for a shoot last week.

The singer had halted all activities since early September after falling ill with the influenza flu while in Japan to promote his KBS hit TV series "Boys Over Flowers". He was discharged from the hospital with a clean bill of health but had not made a public appearance.

"We were in shoot from early morning to late at night but Kim did not seem tired and was having fun," a Tony Moly official at the scene of the shoot was quoted as saying.

The commercial is set for release in November.

Meanwhile, all five members of SS501 will perform at the Taipei Arena on Saturday. They have been on their "SS501 Asia Tour Persona 2009" since early August where they are set to perform at a total of 10 countries throughout Asia till early next year.

They are also set to make a comeback to the local music scene on October 20 with a new mini-album.

2009101514010624147_2.jpg

Singer Kim Hyung-joong (right) [Tony Moy]

Credits : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

[iNTERVIEW]

Bae Yong-joon (Part 1)

2009100917073135089_1.jpg

Korean actor and author Bae Yong-joon at the publication event for his book "Discovering the Beauty of

Korea" held at Tokyo Dome on September 30, 2009 [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Since some time ago, we started to think of Bae Yong-joon as a set face. During the two years after MBC TV series "The Story of the First King's Four Gods" aired, what reminded us of his presence were a few commercials and the frequent tourists who visited from across the ocean.

Therefore, the opportunity to have a conversation face-to-face with Bae Yong-joon, the guy with the exact same smile on panels in the streets of Myungdong, was all the more interesting and rare.

This is a record of the interview held after the event celebrating the publication of his photo essay "Discovering the Beauty of Korea" at Tokyo Dome on September 30. What was originally a short tea-time talk turned into an interview that lasted much longer than an hour.

The whole time, Bae created moments of "actual communication" - those which cannot be written down but only expressed through either a smile, question, joke or a serious look. We hope this record becomes the first key to opening the door to the "human Bae Yong-joon" that we all thought we knew but, in fact, did not.

10: There are people who expect you to expand your career into the global market and everything in our generation is flowing toward digital. But when we look at you, we get a feeling that you are rather going against such currents. Why are you more interested in Korean things rather than global ones, and in working on a book which is, in nature, closer to analog than digital?

Bae: I always felt bad when my family [meaning his fans] would visit Korea to see me and all they would see is the set. And after I finished shooting "The Story of the First King's Four Gods", I was lying in the hospital when I started to wonder about several things including 'What is it that surrounds me that got me where I am today?' The present is a sum of the past and I reflected back upon that past because I wanted to learn how I had spent that time and what got me where I am now. Also, I don't think there is anyone who is not interested in their own culture, but I thought, if we expand just a little bit more on that interest, we can enjoy our culture and even improve on it too. Ultimately, I think looking back on the past is the answer to creating something new.

10: What I realized here in Japan is that your presence is so much greater than it is in Korea.

Bae: Honestly in Korea, (pointing to journalists) people here don't give me the credit. (laugh) I think the public can only react to how the press makes them react. The reason I started to ask that the word "Hallyu" not be used is that I think it's better to go in the direction where it seems we are exchanging our cultures rather than using a one-sided word like that. The articles written in Korea are all read and written in Japan also. So if we think a little more about what's best for our country, and for ourselves, I think we'll be much happier.

2009100917073135089_2.jpg

Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

10: But there seems to be some difference in your popularity in Korea and Japan.

Bae: You mean to say that I'm not popular in Korea, right? (laugh) But I have enough family [fans] in Korea too. In fact, I teared up because I felt so sorry and heartbroken for people who came to the Tokyo Dome event from Korea.

10: You wrote postcards for your fans at the Tokyo Dome event celebrating the publication of "Discovering". Are such events your own ideas?

Bae: Yes, I can't dance or sing for them even though my heart wants to because I don't have the ability to deliver [my feelings] in such ways. And I can't show them my acting. So the postcard was one of the tools I used to deliver my feelings and express my thoughts. I actually wanted to talk to them in Japanese, but when I got sick with a fever running as high as 40 degrees, I forgot everything I had studied.

10: Besides the fact that you published a book, it was impressive how you set traditional Korean performances on stage at the event, like the haegeum, samulnori and traditional dances. But you probably need to have some sense of duty or responsibility in order to promote traditional Korean culture and encourage cultural exchange in such ways.

Bae: Without a doubt, I think someone may be leading me on to do this in some parts. And the funny thing is, it's my families that make me think those thoughts and have those feelings. When I hear people say, "You are really incredible because you did such and such", I feel like I both want to and have to do more. When I first came to Japan a few years ago, a Korean-Japanese person started crying and thanked me, and at that moment I thought, "There must be something I can do, however meager it may be. There's going to be stuff that I need to do and do more of." I know I actually don't have to feel that way, but I do and I can't help it. Nobody is making me -- I think it's just in my nature.

10: Even so, you couldn't have written what you wrote in "Discovering" if you didn't have a close interest and affection for traditional culture. What was most difficult for you while writing it?

Bae: If you count the time I studied, it took about a year and a half to complete the book. I started with buying all the books in every field that were out in stores and studied them. I had to research everything and wonder whether it was all accurate information and whether the information was told differently elsewhere. So for those parts, I met with the masters from each field and wrote what I learned from them, based on the trust that what they said is accurate. I always carried a recorder with me to record their ideas and thoughts, and I would listen to them again when I got home. But since I am not a writer, it was very hard to express my feelings and thoughts. I didn't get much sleep for about three months, and the publisher ended up having to proofread and revise it in three days because I was holding onto it until the very last minute. So there are some typos in the book.

2009100917073135089_3.jpg

Korean actor Bae Yong-joon [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

10: Despite all that trouble you went through, did you feel a different sort of joy from writing compared to when you act or take pictures?

Bae: When I'm acting, there definitely are times that I really feel something is there, although it's not very often. I think it's the same with writing. There are times when I look at what I wrote and go, "Wow, how did I think up something like that?" (laugh)

10: Which part, for example?

Bae: The passage I recited at the Tokyo Dome event about the random thoughts that came to mind at Miruksa Temple. And the part where I wrote that the emotion of "human affection" is deeply penetrated into our food, clothing and shelter. I actually said to myself, "Wow, did I really think that!" (laugh) But I don't think I'll be able to write another book in the future. It's so hard. That's why I said I'd focus on photographs if I publish another book but it's also because with this book, I'm quite disappointed with the photos. I took the photos first and wrote later while working on the book. But when I started writing, I realized I needed certain photos. So I wrote down which photos I needed, but I stayed up night after night writing and couldn't go back to take those pictures.

10: You included a lot of photographs that you took yourself in the book but it's necessary to do a certain amount of studying to reach the level of becoming a photographer with professionalism.

Bae: The technical aspect of photography isn't actually that difficult. What I feel is important, is the sensibility. I use the camera to take pictures, but it's my really heart and not my fingers that press down on the shutter. When my heart allows that moment to be captured, that brief moment is when I click on the shutter so I think sensibility is more important than technique. And I don't do much digital work. I use film because when I use a digital camera (pointing to a photographer in front of him), I press away on the shutter like that. Thinking that one of them would turn out alright. (laugh)

10: You usually don't really expose yourself but in the book, there are many pictures of you joking and goofing around with people.

Bae: I could never write this book without exposing myself. I'm not a professional writer, so I couldn't make that stuff up. So who I am on the inside came out just as it is. After I had stayed up all night, I would send a text message to my staff and colleagues saying, "I'm going to sleep now. Feel like throwing up." Or sometimes I would just text, "Barf!" (laugh)

Editor in Chief : Beck Una (one@10asia.co.kr)

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun (five@10asia.co.kr)

Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk (eleven@10asia.co.kr)

Editor : Lynn Kim (lynn2878@asiae.co.kr), Lee Ji-Hye (seven@10asia.co.kr)

[iNTERVIEW]

Bae Yong-joon (Part 2)

10: What kind of person are you seen as in every day life by people around you and your acquaintances?

Bae: I'm a straightforward person. If someone makes a mistake, I talk about it right way and that's it. But if the mistake is repeated, I get angry and scold them. So they're scared of me, but still I think they trust me and rely on me a lot.

10: I heard you're planning to publish an English edition of "Discovering".

Bae: I'm planning on printing an English version and I want to make one in braille too. The braille version would be produced for charity, not for sale. But the trickiest thing about printing braille is figuring out how to express the photographs.

2009101318223057073_1.jpg

Hallyu star Bae Yong-joon [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

10: Can you tell us the reason your agency and BOF International, the Japan subsidiary of KEYEAST where you are the biggest shareholder, merged with Digital Adventure? And how that is going to affect the tourism business in Japan?

Bae: To be honest, I'm really not interested in business. There was a period when I was, but I think there are too many limits in what I can do so I don't think it's my kind of work. Now -- I don't know how long I'll be an actor -- but I want to be a farmer, a lacquer artist and sculptor.

10: Do you really have a detailed plan about becoming a farmer?

Bae: I don't have a detailed plan but when you say it out loud and dream about it, I think it comes true. So I constantly talk about it if there is something I want to do. This is the first time that I've made it public in front of reporters about wanting to become a farmer, but it's been about five years since I started talking about it. And I'm very interested in the environment too. I'm reading books to learn about farming, but you don't achieve anything in your life on your own. It also doesn't happen overnight so sometime in the future, I believe I am going to be surrounded by people who share my dreams.

10: You don't seem all that interested in business, yet you keep presenting a variety of ideas. What personally inspires you?

Bae: I think everything comes from books. When I was a kid, I was very shy so I read a lot of books. And for a while, I didn't have any time to read. But then I started staying home almost all the time, so I started reading again. And like I wrote in my book that you can learn a lot of things at museums, I get a lot of ideas from past cultural heritage, or what we call traditional culture.

2009101318223057073_2.jpg

Bae in front of animation illustration for

"Winter Sonata" [beck Una/10Asia]

10: What is your average day like?

Bae: It's not fun. (laugh) If I went to bed early the previous night, I wake up around 7 or 8 in the morning. If I was up working late, then I would get up around 10 or 11 a.m. and have a cup of tea. Then I would work out for about an hour, take a shower, read books... Sometimes I make pottery and lacquer too.

10: You shot a commercial with the famous tagline "You are a man who has everything". Can you tell us about the things that you think you lack in or need, and what kind of life that you want in the long run?

Bae: What I need -- a wife? (laugh) In the book, I wrote about "The Gateless Gate" which is tended to by Zen monks. In order to enter the Gate, you have to fill yourself with a lot of things to rid yourself of them. When I thought about that while I was sitting at home, I realized the owner of that space was the furniture, not me. So I thought, some day I will get rid of all this and have less and less of everything. That time may come sooner than expected, and I think I may be much happier living with the feeling that I lack in some things rather than having a lot of things and living the high life. So I'm thinking about cutting down and getting rid of a lot of things.

10: You were already a star before "Winter Sonata" became a hit in 2002, but you became a top star throughout all of Asia after it. Does your current life sometimes still seem surreal to you?

Bae: Not really. To tell you the truth, it's been that way ever since I debuted so there is nothing that I'm not used to. The difference is that now when I go somewhere, people from the travel agency bring people to where I am. Oh, but that doesn't mean that I go to strange places. (laugh) So it doesn't matter, but I am a little disappointed about the lack of freedom.

10: You've been through some changes during the past seven years. So even acting for the same role in dubbing for the animation version of "Winter Sonata" must have felt different.

Bae: I actually was a bit hesitant at first when I heard about the animation. I was convinced that doing the same work was -- I'm sorry to say this -- not going to be interesting or exciting for me. But when I got home and read the script from the beginning, I suddenly felt like I wanted to be in love. It's embarrassing to talk about your own work like this, but I realized once again that "Winter Sonata" was a really good drama. How can anyone take over someone's heart like this, so completely? I wanted to re-live those emotions and act again. So I said I would do it right away, but it has been seven years and there are some things, like my voice, that have changed. But I try to just go back to that same moment. I also believe I can.

2009101318223057073_3.jpg

Korean actor Bae Yong-joon [beck Una/10Asia]

10: For some time, when choosing your work, it looked like you were trying to avoid roles that gave off a sweet or soft feeling, like the role you played in "Winter Sonata". What sort of changes made you feel like you wanted to be in love again?

Bae: I had never traveled on a trip after making my debut and started shooting dramas. I was always on set. When people asked me what I did in 2002, I would say "Winter Sonata". When they asked what I did in 1999, I would answer "Did We Really Love?". So those dramas weren't just work for me, they were a part of my life. I think my heart opened up a little when I went on this trip and felt a lot of things. I had planned to go to Chuncheon by myself to take pictures before I got sick. I had never felt this way before, but I think I started thinking those things and gained the will to do so from working on the book.

10: A lot of people are probably wondering what your next work or next step will be. As an actor, is there something specific that you desire?

Bae: Actually no, not "as an actor". I have no plans about becoming a certain kind of actor or going to Hollywood. I just want to do my best every moment with what I am given.

10: Having been to cultural heritage sites like Miruksa Temple, you must feel that time, such as a thousand years, is fleeting. Have you ever thought about what you would be if you were born a thousand years ago?

Bae: Umm .. I thought more about the different kind of life that our ancestors would have lived. The reason I thought about it is because I heard that it took over a year of planning and then over two years to restore Miruksa Temple. Which means it is that difficult to restore even with all the modern science technology that we have. So I thought a lot about how they could have built such architectural structures back in those days. And how much time they had in discovering themselves having just books and nature around them -- no TVs or newspapers. And I think that could be the reason a human's abilities improved. So then I thought, if we keep trying ourselves, we could leave behind an improved culture for out future generations as well.

10: Then in thousand years, if people were to write about a person named Bae Yong-joon, what would you want written about you?

Bae: (After contemplation) Seriously, I haven't thought about that yet. I don't know if people would write about me, but I'll think about it and let you know over the phone.

Editor in Chief : Beck Una (one@10asia.co.kr)

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun (five@10asia.co.kr)

Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk (eleven@10asia.co.kr)

Editor : Lynn Kim (lynn2878@asiae.co.kr), Lee Ji-Hye (seven@10asia.co.kr)

Korean pic "Eighteen" wins award at Canadian film fest

2009101512080409928_1.jpg

A scene from Korean film "Eighteen" [Woosan Films]

Korean film "Eighteen" has won an award at the Vancouver International Film Festival (VIFF), according to a press release on Thursday.

The film won the Dragons & Tigers Award for Young Cinema, given to a new director from the Asia-Pacific region every year, along with a cash prize of $10,000, announced the film's distributor Jinjin Pictures.

"Eighteen", about a young high-school couple who go on a seaside vacation without their parents' permission and causing problems when they return, was directed by Jang Kun-Jae who has made numerous independent films.

"Although this is the classic boy-meets-girl, boy-breaks-up-with-girl story, Jang takes on a completely new direction to produce something completely different," the festival's jury member Noel Vera was quoted as saying. "All the characters are very alive and real and the film conveys well the pressure society inflicts on the characters who are screaming on the inside."

Jang said it was his first time taking part in an international film festival and that he learned a lot from watching the other nominated films.

"Eighteen" is set for release in Korea early next year.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

Another weekend hit for KBS?

200910150027.jpg

"The First Wives Club" actors Ahn Nae-sang (from left to right), Lee Jun-hyuk and

Oh Dae-gyu team up again in KBS` "Three Brothers." [KBS]

After three consecutive successes with the weekend dramas "Mom is That Upset," "My Precious You" and "My Too Perfect Sons," KBS looks set to continue its winning streak with its latest weekend installment: "Three Brothers."

Slated to air tomorrow night, "Three Brothers" is the latest work by hit scriptwriter Moon Young-nam. The candid voice behind successful dramas like SBS' "The First Wives Club," KBS' "Famous Princesses" and the late Choi Jin-sil's "War of Roses," Moon delved into the harsh realities and comedies of married life with a degree of verve and wit that kept audiences wanting more.

Her latest endeavor promises to continue to explore the institute of marriage in the same candid manner that made her previous works a pleasure to watch.

Judging from the official website's teaser, "Three Brothers" seems to exhibit a distinctly comedic flair, one that hints at a dramedy rather than a melodrama.

"My character may incite a great deal of laughter," said "Three Brothers" actor Ahn Nae-sang at a press conference on Monday.

Cast as the eldest son of a police sergeant, the 45-year old veteran actor also praised Moon's work: "The greatest strength lies in the script's level of execution."

Despite a strong script, concerns regarding the casting of four actors from "The First Wives Club" and potential similarities with predecessor "My Too Perfect Sons" came up at Monday's press conference.

"The drama is not similar (to 'My Too Perfect Sons') just because it is about three brothers," said "Three Brothers" director Jin Hyung-wook.

While sons take center stage in both dramas, the similarities appear to end there. "My Too Perfect Sons" charted four bachelors' quest for love. "Three Brothers" explores the institute of marriage in its varied mutations; from the second marriage of the eldest son to the second son's less-than-perfect marital life to the youngest son's experiences as a newlywed.

In response to concerns regarding the casting of "The First Wives Club" actors Ahn Nae-sang, Oh Dae-gyu, Kim Hee-jung and Lee Jun-hyuk, actor Ahn Nae-sang stressed the pros of working with fellow "The First Wives Club" co-stars in "Three Brothers," stating that it promotes teamwork.

Actress Kim Hee-jung, who will be playing a self-sacrificing housewife, described her character in "Three Brothers" as "a woman who lived without a life of her own."

Actors Oh Dae-gyu and Lee Jun-hyuk will be playing the second and youngest sons of the household, respectively.

"Lee's character is very cool," said co-star Ahn, hinting that Lee will be taking on a major role in the series.

"General Hospital 2" actress Do Ji-won plays the eldest son's second wife. Actress Oh Ji-eun plays the youngest son's bride-to-be.

"Three Brothers" airs tomorrow night on KBS 2 TV at 7:55 p.m.

Credits : Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

Japanese College Holds Film Festival Dedicated to Kim Hye-su

The Korea Research Center of Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University of Japan will hold the 4th Korean Film Festival on October 23-25. This year, the festival is dedicated to Korean actress Kim Hye-su, who is considered a symbol of independent women.

7166_453_l.jpg

The festival is aimed at shedding light on Korean cinematography, history and culture through movies that star a certain actor or actress. Launched in 2006, the festival has so far screened movies starring Moon So-ri, Choi Min-shik and Ahn Sung-ki.

This year, six films starring Kim Hye-su will be screened. They are "Kick The Moon," "YMCA Baseball Team," "Hypnotized," "A Good Day To Have An Affair," "The War Of Flower" and "Modern Boy." The festival will also feature a symposium of Korean and Japanese film experts.

Kim Hye-su will meet with the audience to talk about her life and acting career.

An official from the festival's organizing committee said that Korean movies were not only high-quality entertainment content but that they also fully represented changes in Korean society. He also added that movies starring Kim Hye-su would hopefully help Japanese viewers better understand Korean films.

Source : KBS Global

2009-10-14

‘My Too Perfect Sons’ Draws Curtain

The KBS2 weekend drama “My Too Perfect Sons” has ended its six-month run on October 11. It enjoyed huge popularity with its light-hearted storyline amid a growing tendency of TV dramas to deal with lurid subjects like adultery and violence.

235_622_l.jpg

The family drama successfully lived up to its name by not deviating from its main theme: love and conflict in a family. It depicted how four sons of the family found their loves and overcame conflicts with other family members.

But it naturally had some drawbacks. The most conspicuous was dramatic change in the personalities of the characters. For example, the mystery surrounding Kim Bok-sil (Yoo Sun), an apparently timid nurse who was later revealed to actually be a doctor, was extremely baffling.

It was also unreasonable that Song Dae-pung, the second son who belatedly fell in love with Bok-sil, changed from a cold-hearted commitment-phobic man to a childlike love seeker. And it was difficult to understand the mother who opposed her eldest son marrying a woman whom he loved over a woman she preferred.

The changes might have stemmed from the decision to extend the running of the drama.

Another problem was the unrealistic family background. The drama was supposed to deal with an ordinary middle-class family, but some said that it was closer to an upper-class one, since three of the four sons had professional jobs as a pharmacist, doctor and journalist.

Despite those drawbacks, it was an overall well-made drama that the entire family could watch together.

Meanwhile, “My Too Perfect Sons” will be succeeded by “Three Brothers” written by Moon Young-nam, who is well-known for sensational dramas such as “The First Wives’ Club” and “Famous Princesses.”

Internet broadcast media for "Guide & Review," TV Report

Email reports to pi@pimedia.co.kr <Copyright ⓒ Pimedia TV Report>

Writer: TV Report

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi

Source : KBS Global

October 16, 2009

Jeans Brands Woo Top Stars for Ads

Jeans brands seem to be replacing cosmetics as the most coveted prize among Korea's advertising contracts. Traditionally, becoming the "face" of cosmetics brands was the recognition of bona fide star status. Actresses Lee Young-ae, Shim Eun-ha, Ko So-young and Lee Mi-yeon were the dominant faces in cosmetics advertising for a long time, but a new generation of stars are drawn to pants.

Local jeans brands now advertise using big names like Lee Hyo-lee, Son Dam-bi, Han Hyo-joo, Han Ji-hye, Han Chae-young, Kim A-joong, and Han Ye-seul. What they have in common, of course, is the slim figure to carry it off. Jeans ads inevitably highlight the models' legs, which therefore have to be long enough to make up over 50 percent of the body length.

The trend also has something to do with changing standards of beauty, a shift of pretty faces to beautiful bodies. Dr. Bae Joon-sung at the JK Plastic Surgery Center said, "These days, women with a glamorous, sexy bodyline are popular. Those with a fit bodyline are the ideal type to model jeans."

The main target consumers are women in their 20s, a segment where sales have been soaring sharply due to the star marketing campaigns. But it is not clear whether the market as a whole has benefited. Industry insiders say the domestic market is saturated, and the use of big stars is borne of desperation. And of course the increased money spent on top-end models is passed on to customers in the price of each pair of jeans.

2009101600258_0.jpg

Son Dam-bi

2009101600258_1.jpg

Lee Hyo-lee

2009101600258_2.jpg

Shin Min-a

2009101600258_3.jpg

Han Hyo-joo

Credits : englishnews@chosun.com

16/10/2009

Actor Bae Yong-joon publishes book about Korea's beauty

wb5egw.jpg

Enjoy the beauty of the Korean landscape through the photographic pilgrimage of Bae Yong-joon, a major Hallyu star. With the launch of his book, "Journey in Search of Korea's Beauty", Bae talked about how "the journey" began. "When asked by a foreign reporter to recommend some famous sites around Korea, I was embarrassed that I couldn't answer the question."

Rather than simply enjoying the sights, Bae began his journey with the aim of better understanding the true essence of Korea: its culture, arts and tradition. He explored 13 different themes on his journey, met with the masters of each theme and tried it out for himself. His documentation of his adventures is written so candidly that it's almost as if the reader can hear Bae's voice telling the story. As a major Hallyu star familiar with a variety of different cultures, Bae was able to pinpoint 13 themes of Korean culture that many Koreans could identify with.

The text includes topics such as Gimjang (making Kimchi), Gajeongsik (home-made meals), and Cha (tea), which bring new light to Korea's food culture. The book also provides easy explanations on themes like Chil (Korean lacquering), Dojagi (porcelain), and Hanok (traditional Korean house), which are quite tricky for even native Koreans to explain. In the book, Bae also elaborates on his thoughts on topics like the Gyeongbokgung Palace, the National Museum of Korea, and Temple Stay: the culminations of Korean culture. The book is available in both Japanese and Korean.

Bae also joined the commencement ceremony of "2010-2012 Visit Korea Years" at Tokyo Dome on September 30th as a goodwill ambassador, giving a presentation on the beauties of Korea.

<INFO>

▶Genre | travel essay ▶Author | Bae Yong-joon ▶Volume | 432p

▶Price | 18,000won ▶Publishing date | September 23rd, 2009

Source : Korea Tourism Org, Korea.net

'Iris' Poster Unveiled

A poster for the much-anticipated TV drama "Iris" starring top stars Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-hee has been unveiled. In the poster, Lee is shown staring affectionately at the camera, while Kim's sad gaze is directed elsewhere. The pair portrays a loving couple destined not to end up together.

Lee plays smart, cool-headed and courageous intelligence agent Kim Hyun-joon, who falls in love with the nation's top profiler, Choi Seung-hee, portrayed by Kim.

237_626_l.jpg

▲ Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-hee's poster for "Iris"

It is Lee's first time playing opposite Kim. The pair collaborated closely on the set by monitoring and discussing each other's scenes. Kim sought advice with regard to her acting from Lee, who is a veteran actor, while Lee gave tips to her in every single scene.

The production cost of "Iris," which has raised expectations for starring two high-profile actors, exceeded 20 billion won. The drama was shot in Asia and Europe on large-scale sets and contains many impressive scenes. It premiered on October 14.

By Jin Young-joo, KBSi

Photos/Source: Taewon Entertainment

All Rights Reserved ⓒ KBS & KBSi

15-10-2009

Rain's MBLAQ Makes Broadcasting Debut

091015_p15_5.jpg

Five-member boy band MBLAQ made its television debut Thursday. Rain created and

trained the group for the first time as a producer./ Courtesy of J. Tune Entertainment

Korea's top singer and actor Rain asked his fans to support his new boy band MBLAQ that made its television debut Thursday. The five-member boy band is the first group he created and trained over the last two years.

In a note posted on his Web site, Rain said, ``I really thank you for the support you showed at MBLAQ's debut performance. Please continue to cheer them on and give more encouragement.''

The band made a debut performance at Rain's concert last week in Seoul.

Rain said he is pleased to have been engaged in producing works for the first time.

MBLAQ also made a television debut on a cable music channel ``M Countdown'' Thursday.

He said he was so pleased and happy that MBLAQ made a broadcasting debut, adding that it made him ``more nervous'' than when he himself started out.

The five-member boy band has swept various music charts with its first mini-album ``Just BLAQ,'' reaching No. 1 on several online and offline music charts, according to J. Tune Entertainment, the agency run by Rain.

The group's debut album contains the single ``Oh Yeah'' and three other songs, including ``G.O.O.D Luv'' and ``My Dream.''

MBLAQ is expected to bring a change to the K-pop music scene that has been dominated by girl groups.

Credits : chojh@koreatimes.co.kr

Source : The Korea Times

Korean film "Paju" wins NETPAC Award at PIFF

2009101615372959201_1.jpg

Poster of Korean movie "Paju" [Myung Films]

Korean film "Paju" won the Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema (NETPAC) Award at the 14th Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF), according to a press release on Friday.

The film received the NETPAC Award, given to the best film nominated amongst the New Currents and Korean Cinema Today-Vision categories.

NETPAC is an international organization composed of 29 member countries that promotes Asian cinema and gives out the namesake award at select international film festivals.

"Paju", which stars Korean actor Lee Sun-kyun and actress Seo Woo, is about a forbidden love between a woman and her late sister's husband.

The film reportedly received raving reviews at the PIFF. "It is a great example of passionate and high-quality filmmaking and the jury was impressed by the director's poetic and moving expressions. We are proud to support the courage of the director who approached this tragic and controversial topic."

Director Park Chan-ok debuted in 2002 with the award-winning "Jealousy Is My Middle Name".

"Paju" is set for release in Korea on October 29.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

Lee Jun-ki turns waiter in drama "Hero"

2009101614000873151_1.jpg

Korean actor Lee Jun-ki as waiter in TV series "Hero" [MBC]

Photographs of Hallyu star Lee Jun-ki playing a nightclub waiter in upcoming TV series "Hero" were released on Friday.

Lee donned a white shirt with a glittering flower-print vest on top, briefly transforming into a waiter in the new Wednesday and Thursday night drama, according to a press release by broadcaster MBC.

"On set, Lee was so good at playing the role that the staff joking asked if he really had worked part-time at a nightclub before," an official at production company Media Zoo was quoted as saying.

2009101614000873151_2.jpg

Lee in a scene from "Hero" [MBC]

In the drama, about a group of youngsters who rebel and fight against a corrupt society, Lee plays the role of a passionate newspaper journalist named Jin Do-hyuk.

The 27-year-old actor became a household name in 2005 playing a woman-like clown in the hit film "The King and the Clown" and was recently voted the most popular Korean Wave star in China.

"Hero" is set to air in Korea starting November 11.

2009101614000873151_3.jpg

Actor Lee Jun-ki from a scene in "Hero" [Media Zoo]

Reporter : Lim Hye-seon lhsro@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

S. Korean, Iraqi-Japanese films take top honors at Busan film festival

BUSAN, Oct. 15 (Yonhap) -- A South Korean romantic comedy about a young poet bungling relationships and an Iraqi-Japanese movie showing a Kurdish Iraqi community that finds asylum in a football stadium won the top honors at Asia's most prominent film festival that ended Friday.

"I'm in Trouble" by So Sang-min of South Korea and "Kick Off" by Shawkat Amin Korki won the New Currents award that is always given to two winners at the Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF).

20091017091559_bodyfile.jpg

The award is given to young Asian filmmakers, while the Flash Forward award for non-Asian directors went to "Last Cowboy Standing," a Finish-German flick produced by Zaida Bergroth.

The Oct. 8-16 festival, held for the 14th time in the southeastern port city of Busan, closed with a screening of "The Message," a spy flick about communists fighting Japanese invaders.

The festival, which first began in 1996, drew over 350 movies from 70 nations and recorded an audience of 173,000 during its nine-day run, according to organizers.

An intra-festival market rang up movie sales of roughly US$2 million, while a record 144 world and international premiers were shown during the event named after its host city, organizers said.

"We will be back next year with higher ethos," Lee Yong-gwan, a senior PIFF organizer said in a speech, also thanking Busan residents.

This year's festival began with "Good Morning President," a South Korean film with a plot that revolves around three unique characters each acting as the head of state.

Hollywood figures, including Bryan Singer and Jon Landau, were among those who attended the event seen as increasingly bridging gap between the East and West.

Source : Yonhap News

Oct.17, 2009

Suae on Playing Empress Myeongseong

2009101700231_1.jpg

Suae The recently released film "The Sword with No Name" is the story of the last queen of the Chosun Dynasty, Empress Myeongseong, and a bodyguard who loved her to the extent that he would give up his life for her.

Suae, who plays the empress, said the role "was something I had always wanted to do from the moment I started my acting career. When I got the screenplay, I said yes without a moment's hesitation."

"Playing Empress Myeongseong was not easy, because in addition to the mother of the nation, I had to show her womanly and human side, the joy and anguish she felt at being in love," Suae says. Having to wear heavy wigs and layers of Korean traditional costumes in the steamy hot summer made the job even more difficult. The fact that she had to appear in almost every scene was another challenge.

Suae says the film transformed her perspective on love. "I was so happy while shooting the film because I received absolute, unconditional love from one man, and it changed my thoughts about love. I realized that love is a feeling that you constantly worry about giving less even after you gave 100 percent of what you have, just like the bodyguard in the film did for the empress. Before, I was very timid and stingy about expressing love, but I won't do that any more."

But her desire to get married has strangely abated. "I'm still more interested in work and acting. Will it change if someone who loves me wholeheartedly comes up?"

click to watch the Video of the Press Conference.

Source : Chosun Ilbo

October 16, 2009

Long-lost friends reunite in intriguing drama

Along with the stages of life we pass through and the different paths we choose to take, our good friends come and go. Some friendships end too soon, for reasons beyond our control, and one has to wonder what would happen if a long-lost pal showed up in your life once again. Will you pick up where you left off?

At this year’s Pusan International Film Festival, Korean director Whang Cheol-mean brought us his interpretation of this scenario in “Moscow” (the Korean title of the film translates to “One Sheep, Two Sheep,” and the name Moscow is an allusion to a Chekhov play, but more on that later).

The film’s two friends are played by Sung Soo-jung and Lee Hye-jin, who, as far as this fairly fresh-off-the-boat critic can tell, are both fairly unknown actresses in South Korea. But maybe not for long: Both absolutely shine, and I would suggest “alchemy” as a word to describe the chemistry between them.

In Moscow, which takes place in Seoul, the two were once ostensibly inseparable friends during middle school. But the family of the character played by Sung had less money, and she eventually had to move to another town. She also had to drop out of college, eventually finding a job as a factory worker. But falling victim to an “irregular worker” law, she’s laid off.

Lee’s character, on the other hand, was able to finish college - earning an acting degree - and now lives a fairly modest life in Seoul. She lives by herself in a tiny apartment and works as a secretary at a major corporation. One day, she’s called to the lobby only to see her old friend standing there.

The two friends begin by catching up over food and drinks, eventually making their way back to the apartment of Lee’s character, where they sing school songs, dance and reminisce. After the the slumber party ends, Lee suggests that Sung stay for a while.

When Lee takes Sung to see a play starring an old classmate, Sung is overcome with inspiration, realizing that she wants to become an actress. She decides to audition for an upcoming play: Anton Chekov’s “Three Sisters.” But that’s when Sung creeps over a line. Once a welcome guest, she slowly becomes an intruder into Lee’s life. She’s not just encroaching on physical space, but on ambition as well.

As mentioned, the title Moscow refers to dialogue in the Russian play Three Sisters. In the play, the city represents the hopes and dreams of the title characters, where they will find happiness, and themselves. In the film, it is likewise, and watching these two fresh Korean actresses find their Moscow is funny, sad and never boring. Lee makes the simple act of buying a sweet potato sound like a campfire story, and the expression on Sung’s face seems to always bear the joy and pain of life. Director Whang films his subjects with such care and precision that almost every shot conveys a feeling. Make sure to catch this when it hits theaters.

Moscow

Drama / Korean , 104 min.

Premiere at PIFF; wide release TBD

Credits : Andrew Siddons [asiddons@gmail.com]

Source : JoongAng Daily

TV Decency Rules to Be Tightened

The government is vowing stricter control on television materials amid growing viewer complaints over sex, violence and indecency.

Although the strengthened decency standards will be enforced to all national, local and cable channels, the Korea Communications Standards Commission (KCSC) said, the dramas and game shows on national networks clearly seem to be the biggest targets.

It remains to be seen how television stations will react to the plan of heavier fines and sanctions, as they have been moaning that the commission's decency rules were vague and curbing creativity.

However, KCSC was under pressure to take stronger action to clear up the airwaves, with an increasing number of national television programs being slammed for their disturbing content and offensive language.

The debate over taste and decency has reached a point where extreme dramas and blunt game shows have become part of daily vocabulary here.

``Extreme dramas, based on plots about twisted relationships between men and women and between family members, and the nasty game shows that allow emcees and participants to use foul language and rant about trivial subjects, are the specific targets,'' said a KCSC spokesman, adding that the war against nasty programs would be indefinite.

``We will continue to monitor these programs and also announce the number of violations by each television network and individual entertainers appearing in game shows.''

Adultery, corruption and vengeance have been popular themes for day-time and evening television dramas recently as networks engaged in a heated competition over viewer ratings.

The MBC drama ``Bab Jo,'' airing from Mondays to Fridays, is based on a complicated plot of love and betrayal between its five main characters, and is sustained by a chaotic mixture of sex, violence, suicides and random car crashes.

After the stimulating show "Temptation of Wife,'' a drama based on the story of a death-defying woman who returns to unleash misery on her cheating husband and the mistress who tossed her to die at sea, SBS is now betting on the same formula with ``Temptation of an Angel.''

SBS admits that the latter is a ``male version'' of "Temptation of Wife," and the early episodes of the new drama are certainly heavy in sexual content and violence.

Both "Bab Jo" and "Temptation of an Angel" are currently being reviewed to determine if fines or sanctions are necessary, KCSC officials said. Among game shows, MBC's ``Three Wheels'' and ``Golden Fishing Ground,'' and SBS' ``Star Junior Show'' are being reviewed.

Credits : Kim Tong-hyung, Staff Reporter (thkim@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

New film "District 9" tops Korean box office

2009101910581851023_1.jpg

Poster of movie "District 9" [sony Pictures]

Hollywood movie "District 9" has topped the Korean box office on its opening weekend.

"District" attracted 291,896 viewers over the weekend of October 16-18, according to estimates released by Korea Box Office Information System (KOBIS) on Monday.

The much-hyped thriller "I Come with the Rain", starring Josh Hartnett and Lee Byung-hun, opened at No. 2 with 102,903 viewers over the same period.

Historical pic "The Sword with No Name", starring Cho Seung-woo and Su-ae, came in third with 92,816 viewers for the weekend and over 1.5 million in total.

Korean film "Closer to Heaven", starring Kim Myung-min and Ha Ji-won, stepped down to fourth place with 92,123 viewers over the weekend. The film, which spent three weeks atop the chart, has accumulated over two million viewers since its opening on September 24.

"Surrogates", starring Bruce Willis, trailed behind with 64,150 viewers for the weekend.

Five Korean films rounded out the top ten in the following order: "Where is Jung Seung-Phill", "Goodbye Mom", "City of Fathers", "A Good Rain Knows" and "Take Off".

Reporter : Lynn Kim <lynn2878@asiae.co.kr>

October 19, 2009

S. Korean singer, footballer to be introduced on CNN

SEOUL, Oct. 19 (Yonhap) -- South Korean singer Rain and professional footballer Park Ji-sung will be interviewed by CNN for a special series being aired by the U.S. cable network this week, an agent in Seoul said Monday.

CNN will air "Eye on South Korea" from Oct. 19-23 to highlight various aspects of the East Asian nation, including its ongoing efforts to overcome the global financial crisis. Rain and Park will be introduced in the Talk Asia section, the singer's agent J-Tune Entertainment said.

20091019114025_bodyfile.jpg

Data picture

The program will be aired to some 250 million households across the world.

Rain, 27, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, is one of the most popular male celebrities in Korea and is widely known across Asia. The singer, who also debuted as an actor through a local TV series, gained fame in the United States since appearing on Comedy Central's "The Colbert Report," and will star in the upcoming Hollywood movie "Ninja Assassin."

Park, 28, plays for the English club Manchester United and is the captain of the South Korean national team. He is the only Korean player to be on a UEFA Champions League winning team and the first Asian to play in a final of the tournament.

The interviews with Rain and Park will be aired on Oct. 21 and 28, respectively.

Credits : hayney@yna.co.kr

Source : Yonhap News, The Korea Herald,

--------------------

Rain, Park JS to be Introduced on CNN

091019_c02_s.jpg

South Korean singer Rain and professional soccer player Park Ji-sung will be aired on a special program series by U.S. cable network CNN.

CNN will broadcast "Eye on South Korea" from Monday through Friday to highlight various aspects of the East Asian nation, including its ongoing efforts to overcome the global financial crisis.

Rain and Park will be introduced in the "Talk Asia" section, which will be aired to some 250 million households around the world.

Park's interview will be aired on Wednesday, while Rain's interview is on October 28th.

Source : KBS World

Archived