少女時代 Girls' Generation / SNSD (소녀시대) Official Thread [Ver.3] GIRLS 6ENERAT10N | HYO 4th Single "Dessert"

kimlees

Guest xAriEllePhilia

WOW! Guess who's mentioned on  Grammy Official Site

SNSD's photo used as cover! Other artists mentioned: Wondergirls, Bigbang, Suju, 2PM, and more :D

KPOP WAVE is becoming more well known, amazing~

While South Korea is a vital part of the growing economic boom in Asia, the country of nearly 50 million people is exporting more than just consumer electronics and cars these days. Its native popular music, universally known as K-pop, is also finding a growing international audience in places such as the United States, Europe, the Middle East, and South America. And in other Asian markets, including Japan, it's already big business.

In major U.S. cities such as Chicago, Atlanta and Houston, K-pop concerts have sold out venues seating 1,700 to 2,500 music fans. In 2011 the nine-member dance-pop group Girls' Generation sold out New York's hallowed Madison Square Garden. And in Los Angeles, the Korean Music Festival has been a part of the concert season at the 17,000-plus capacity Hollywood Bowl for the past 10 years. Held this year on April 28, the festival featured performances from Korean artists such as Brown Eyed Girls, Im Tae Kyung, Kim Kyung-Ho, and Lena Park, among others.

Christine Ha, a reporter for Los Angeles' The Korea Times, presenters of the annual Korean Music Festival, says the festival now attracts approximately 30 percent non-Koreans.

"We noticed [the growth in audience diversity at the Hollywood Bowl shows] about two or three years ago," says Ha. "It includes the Hispanic community, the Chinese community [and] other Americans … We always sell out."

The sizable Korean-American population in cities such as Los Angeles is certainly helping to fuel the popularity of K-pop in the United States, but the stateside K-pop audience stretches beyond Asian-American demographics.

"When we performed in Los Angeles, New York and Paris, we were shocked and surprised to see that the majority of our fans were non-Asian," says Sunny of Girls' Generation. "That is when we realized how big and influential K-pop was [becoming] around the world."

Joon Ahn, executive vice president for the music business division at Korea's CJ Entertainment & Media, says K-pop first emerged in the '90s with ballad crooners such as Kim Gun Mo and Shin Seung Hun. The first decade of the new millennium has seen the emergence of new stars such as Girls' Generation, Big Bang, Super Junior, and Wonder Girls, with the latter opening for the Jonas Brothers in 2009.

As the international audience for K-pop has broadened, so has its stylistic boundaries, says Ahn. Hip-hop, rock and techno are now freely embraced by some artists in the movement. Snoop Dogg performed on the title track of Girls' Generation's 2011 album, The Boys; Kanye West appeared on JYJ's "Ayyy Girl" in 2010; and the Black Eyed Peas' will.i.am will reportedly produce the U.S. debut album by K-pop group 2NE1, an all-female hip-hop group.

Today, many K-pop artists are setting their sights on the international market right away. And while the preparation that some go through is reminiscent of the rigorous artist development practices employed by Barry Gordy's Motown Records in the '60s, Ahn believes this attention to detail has contributed to the success of many of these groups. 

"In recent years, Korean artists have planned their overseas activities as soon as they make their local debut," says Ahn. "Therefore, vocal training, dance rehearsals and physical workouts are only the beginning. Lessons in foreign languages and etiquette are given as well."

Some K-pop performers are recruited from other countries such as Thailand, China, Japan, and the United States. Tiffany of Girls' Generation was born Stephanie Hwang in San Francisco. NichKhun of K-pop boy band 2PM, who was born and partly educated in Southern California and is of Thai-Chinese descent, feels it's a benefit to have members in a group that can fluently speak and sing in other languages, particularly English.

"It is a big advantage having two English speakers in our group," notes NichKhun.

"It's Taecyeon and me. To be able to communicate with the fans is very important. So if 2PM ever makes a debut in English-speaking countries, we can connect with the fans better."

Ahn believes the growth in digital media is a major reason why K-pop has become a global entity. The video for the Girls' Generation 2009 single "Gee" has been viewed more than 73 million times on YouTube. The song became the longest-running No. 1 song on the Korean Broadcasting System's chart, and their self-titled album, released in Japan in June 2011, went double platinum, a first for a Korean girl group.

"The channel for movement of music is now very simple with digital," Ahn observes. "Even the file size is convenient for it. Compared to movies, musical theater, or TV series that have a bigger language barrier, music's appeal is communicated through rhythm and visual impact. YouTube and other social networks have contributed the most to spreading music of all kinds and allowing them to be heard [by] a greater audience."

With commercial success comes increased competition. It's been said that even a few months out of the spotlight can spell trouble for a successful K-pop group because there are many artists clamoring for attention.

"The K-pop scene is very competitive because there are so many people who are talented and younger who also want to be a part of the scene," says NichKhun. "Recently, we have been away working on our album in Japan and we're already starting to see so many new young groups. So we have to make sure to maintain our popularity in Korea while expanding to other markets, which doubles or triples the work. It is not easy."

Adds Tiffany, "Now with most groups trying to expand and break through into other markets and territories, the competition is that much stronger. So we are so thankful to our fans for supporting us."

Questions remain regarding K-pop's potential for growth and influence. Will the scene be able to generate artists for the ages similar to the Beatles and Michael Jackson, who both moved from being teen idols to timeless international artists? While that remains to be seen, K-pop artists are certainly reaping the benefits of the genre's current success.

Source: http://www.grammy.co...k-pop-explosion

Guest PinkBlood

^

I won't read too much into that. SNSD has taken thousands of group photos, there are bound to be lots of situations when TaeTiSeo are sitting or standing together.

Guessing the subunits based on this is pretty illogical and pointless.

The other subunits are still just rumours and guesses, so I won't get my hopes up for another subunit any time soon.

Unless something concrete comes up. Lets just concentrate on TTS for now.

While I do hope the other girls also get chances to show their skills in a subunit, all this guessing and speculating over if they have another subunit and who is in it is raising expectations.

Expectations that might be dashed if SM decides not to do another subunit within the next few months or year.

Guest Elleeexxo

Photos of TTS on SUJU Kiss the Radio

taetiseo+super+junior+kiss+the+radio+%2810%29.jpg

taetiseo+super+junior+kiss+the+radio+%2811%29.jpg

taetiseo+super+junior+kiss+the+radio+%2812%29.jpg

taetiseo+super+junior+kiss+the+radio+%2813%29.jpg

taetiseo+super+junior+kiss+the+radio+%2814%29.jpg

taetiseo+super+junior+kiss+the+radio+%2815%29.jpgtaetiseo+super+junior+kiss+the+radio+%281%29.jpg

taetiseo+super+junior+kiss+the+radio+%282%29.jpg

taetiseo+super+junior+kiss+the+radio+%283%29.jpg

taetiseo+super+junior+kiss+the+radio+%284%29.jpg

taetiseo+super+junior+kiss+the+radio+%285%29.jpg

taetiseo+super+junior+kiss+the+radio+%286%29.jpg

taetiseo+super+junior+kiss+the+radio+%287%29.jpg

taetiseo+super+junior+kiss+the+radio+%288%29.jpg

taetiseo+super+junior+kiss+the+radio+%289%29.jpg

Girls' Generation's sub-unit, TaeTiSeo recently had a short interview with OSEN and from that interview here's what they have talked about.

~♥~

Through a recent meeting with OSEN, Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Seohyun agreed in saying, Because all of the Girls' Generation members are doing individual activities, it's difficult to see one another. We always keep in touch through smartphone chatrooms, and it really gives us strength."

Taeyeon stated, "It's a bit embarrassing, but we have been saying that we miss each other a lot lately. We never took many commemorative photos after middle school and high school, but now we take photos together whenever we meet. We try our best as the three members of 'Girls' Generation – TTS', but the energy is noticeably different from when we stand on stage as nine members." She laughed as she added, Because there are only three of us now, the waiting rooms that are assigned to us are smaller".

While Tiffany expressed, "I'm really thankful because the other members sincerely support 'Girls' Generation – TTS'. I watched the music video with our other members, and we laughed for a long time because they were jealous, and they joked that it seems like the company invests more in us than they do in Girls' Generation. I think we've grown fonder of one another".

There have also been things that have improved after beginning unit activities. Tiffany stated, "When we promoted as nine members, the styles a member could attempt were limited, so we would have to show the same style during a promotion cycle. But as three, there are more choices. I think we'll be able to show various styles a lot more often than we would as Girls' Generation".

Lastly, Taeyeon also noted, "Choreography was an important element for Girls' Generation, but as three, the performances have been more focused on vocals than choreography. That is the biggest change".

Source: WonderfulGeneration.net 

GIRLS’ GENERATION-TTS Recorded the Highest Ranking ever in the History of Korean Artist on the U.S. Billboard Main Album Chart!

by SMTOWN on Thursday, May 3, 2012 at 10:11pm

·292134_384918804884293_200739259968916_1056245_591034140_n.jpg

May 4, 2012

GIRLS’ GENERATION-TTS Recorded the Highest Ranking ever in the History of Korean Artist on the U.S. Billboard Main Album Chart!

GIRLS’ GENERATION-TTS recorded the highest ranking ever in the history of Korean artist on ‘Billboard 200’ chart, the U.S. Billboard’s main album chart. 

The mini album, which was first released in the U.S. through iTunes in the morning of April 28th, ranked at 126th on the ‘Billboard 200’ chart within only 40 hours of its release and this is the highest ranking ever in the history of Korean artist. 

Especially, without any promotion in the U.S., GIRLS’ GENERATION – TTS entered the highest ranking  for a Korean artist on the 'Billboard 200' chart as well as ranking first on the World Album Chart and second on the Heatseekers Chart.

Also, three teaser videos and the music video of ‘Twinkle’ have received over 20,000,000 views in total on YouTube in a week and the view for the music video of ‘Twinkle’ has exceeded 5,000,000 in three days of its release. 

Moreover, GIRLS’ GENERATION-TTS performed ‘Twinkle’ and ‘Baby Steps’  on Mnet ‘MCountdown’ on May 3rd and their outstanding live singing and splendid performance drew the attention.

Meanwhile, GIRLS’ GENERATION-TTS will appear on various music programs including KBS ‘Music Bank’ on May 4th, MBC ‘Show! Music Core’ on April 5th and SBS ‘Inkigayo’ on May 6th. 

Source: facebook.com/smtown

(TTS FIGHTING!)

Guest aliceekim

126th on the chart? wasnt Jay Park higher...? what a fail. i dont even know as a jaywalker -_- 

Guest Mochikoferret

126th on the chart? wasnt Jay Park higher...? what a fail. i dont even know as a jaywalker -_- 

No, actually, they're right.  Jay Park charted on the World Album chart--something a few other Korean artists have managed to do.  BoA was the first to chart on the main Billboard 200 chart at number 127, but hers was an English-language album.  Big Bang charted at number 150 with Alive, the first Korean artist to do so with a Korean-language album.  TTS has beaten both of those by charting at 126, though it is worth noting that SNSD has done official promotions in the States, while Big Bang has not.  

EDIT: Jay Park also appeared on the Billboard Heatseekers chart, another chart that has had Kpop names on it before.  And possibly another of the sub-charts.  But he never got on the main Billboard 200 chart.

Guest LittlePinky82

No, actually, they're right.  Jay Park charted on the World Album chart--something a few other Korean artists have managed to do.  BoA was the first to chart on the main Billboard 200 chart at number 127, but hers was an English-language album.  Big Bang charted at number 150 with Alive, the first Korean artist to do so with a Korean-language album.  TTS has beaten both of those by charting at 126, though it is worth noting that SNSD has done official promotions in the States, while Big Bang has not.  

EDIT: Jay Park also appeared on the Billboard Heatseekers chart, another chart that has had Kpop names on it before.  And possibly another of the sub-charts.  But he never got on the main Billboard 200 chart.

Taeyang has also been on the US ITunes R&B chart and was pretty high on there. I THINK in the top ten? Something like that. For his last album I believe it was. 

^

I won't read too much into that. SNSD has taken thousands of group photos,  there are bound to be lots of situations when TaeTiSeo are sitting or standing together.

Guessing the subunits based on this is pretty illogical and pointless.

The other subunits are still just rumours and guesses, so I won't get my hopes up for another subunit any time soon.

Unless something concrete comes up. Lets just concentrate on TTS for now.

While I do hope the other girls also get chances to show their skills in a subunit, all this guessing and speculating over if they have another  subunit and who is in it is raising expectations.

Expectations that might be dashed if SM decides not to do another subunit within the next few months or year.

I think so too. And remember when Sooyoung was doing hints they were SO obvious they were hints but nobody thought about it until later lol. And we may not have another subunit until there's times like this where people are having activities like Hyoyeon on DWTS 2 and Yoona with her drama and such.

Guest Mochikoferret

Taeyang has also been on the US ITunes R&B chart and was pretty high on there. I THINK in the top ten? Something like that. For his last album I believe it was. 

Yeah, and Big Bang has been on a couple of the other Billboard charts as well, and they and other artists have been on various iTunes charts.  I was just trying to respond specifically to the person above me, so i was only focusing on Jay Park's achievements and the artists who've gotten on the Billboard 200.

Guest rebecca55
Live Recap of the Fashion King tonight in 2 hours or 10 pm (korean time)!!  Do not miss how Ga Young reacts to Young Gul rejecting her love, or how Anna (Yuri) will get back at Jae Hyuk!!

Guest Elleeexxo

Amber twinkling with TTS

fx+amber+taetiseo.jpg

"Please give Soshi unnie’s unit TaeTiSeo’s Twinkle lots of love!! Their comeback was really cool!! kekeke.  Girls' generation-TTS' song is bomb! Please support and get old school funk!!".

snsd+taetiseo+taeyeon+tiffany+seohyun.jpg

Source: wonderfulgeneration

Guest rebecca55
LIVE RECAP of Fashion King tonight in 20 minutes or 10 PM (KOREAN TIME)!!!  Do not miss what happens between Ga Young and Young Gul on the plane.  How will Anna (YURI) react when she sees that Ga Young owns the hearts of the two men she has fallen for??!!