Make-up Q & A Thread

Guest Nightsky1

Guest Millou

Thanks for helping me out h0w_cute* & misscupcake :)

I was mainly confused with the kabuki brush, the powder brush and the blush brush. Hahaha... they all seem to do the same thing to me XD Too bad we don't have Tokidoki cosmetics in Europe (how lame is that?!), because they have this super pretty kabuki brush!! I think I just fell in love with it :wub:

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest YukiPuu

Thanks for helping me out h0w_cute* & misscupcake :)

I was mainly confused with the kabuki brush, the powder brush and the blush brush. Hahaha... they all seem to do the same thing to me XD Too bad we don't have Tokidoki cosmetics in Europe (how lame is that?!), because they have this super pretty kabuki brush!! I think I just fell in love with it :wub:

A kabuki brush is mostly used for buffing mineral powder foundation on to get an even coverage. A powder brush lightly dusts powder and usually provides little coverage, and is fluffier than a kabuki brush. A blush brush is smaller than a powder brush so you can get precision for blush application, so your whole face doesn't end up pink :P

I just started wearing makeup. So, putting on eyeliner is kind of difficult for me.

My eyes become watery and I draw the eyeliner on my upper eyelid kind of thick.

Can you guys give me some tips for drawing eyeliner? Thank you!

Quick question! Since people usually seal in foundation with powder, what do you do when the foundation is a powder form, like mineral makeup? Do you skip on finishing powder altogether?

Quick question! Since people usually seal in foundation with powder, what do you do when the foundation is a powder form, like mineral makeup? Do you skip on finishing powder altogether?

This depends on the coverage that you want, as well as the powder that you use. I usually don't wear foundation unless I'm going out to a special event/date. The only foundation I wear is a mineral powder that gives me medium coverage (which i wear occasionally). My skin is not too bad (a tiny bit blotchy since it is dry), so a light/medium coverage foundation is enough for me. I don't need a finishing powder, but there are people who like to apply it on top. Usually the finishing powder is translucent or provides very light coverage. People seal liquid foundation with a finishing powder (if they choose to do so). Finishing powders also have mattifying properties, so dusting it on would help in preventing you from looking oily.

My skin is combination (mostly dry), hence why I also choose not to use a finishing powder. Hope this helps! Also, applying a finishing powder over your blush helps keep it from fading as quickly ;]

I just started wearing makeup. So, putting on eyeliner is kind of difficult for me.

My eyes become watery and I draw the eyeliner on my upper eyelid kind of thick.

Can you guys give me some tips for drawing eyeliner? Thank you!

Do you use a pencil? Make sure the pencil is sharpened, but also soft, to provide an even line. Blast the pencil with a hairdryer for a few seconds to soften it. A good sharpener is important, otherwise the eyeliner will start to flake from being unevenly sharpened. Also, the technique on using eyeliner varies, depending your eye shape. I generally start in the middle of the lid and draw outwards, then I start from the middle and draw inwards. I hope that makes sense. This technique works for me pretty well.

Also, you might have sensitive eyes. I know that it was a bit difficult to line my eyes when I first started wearing eyeliner, but I got used to it. My eyes are watery, but they hardly affect my upper eyelids.

If you use liquid, you need a steady hand, and it takes practice to get a thin, even line. Some people like to draw dashed lines, and connect them (I've read that somewhere!), So can just go from left to right in an even stroke.

With gel eyeliner, I use the pencil technique. I generally only use gel and pencil since they are easier, but you need a thin angled brush or liner brush to get a really fine line. This also takes practice, but remember to line reallllllly close to your upper lash line!

Guest iPhets

hi everyone :)

i have this cleanse off oil from kanebo that my mom got for me but i don't know how to use it..

i mean as in, cleaning makeup off my face is fine but when i try to use it to get makeup off my eye area, it goes straight into my eyes and my vision pretty much blurs for the next hour. and not to mention that it feels weird and probably is bad for my eye..

so am i supposed to get a separate makeup remover for my eye area or am i doing it wrong? i put a tiny amount on a cotton pad and dab it on my eyes.

Guest raburabu

You got to close your eyes really hard as you rub it into your eyes. After that you add either hot or cold water to emulsify all the dirt and makeup, and then follow up with a cleanser to remove the oil residue. I use to use the Kanebo cleansing oil, and I realized that it was a lot thicker than the Shu Uemura one. So because of this consistency, you either have to use another cleanser as a follow-up, or wipe your eye area with a disposable item.

Guest graceyoon

chibi_cupcake> since the eyes are sensitive you should probably invest in an eye makeup remover, i have never found a facial cleanser that can remove eye makeup that well as an eye makeup remover, esp for those hard to reach places like the lash line... lancome has the absolute best imo

Guest Beautiful*Nightmare

hi everyone :)

i have this cleanse off oil from kanebo that my mom got for me but i don't know how to use it..

i mean as in, cleaning makeup off my face is fine but when i try to use it to get makeup off my eye area, it goes straight into my eyes and my vision pretty much blurs for the next hour. and not to mention that it feels weird and probably is bad for my eye..

so am i supposed to get a separate makeup remover for my eye area or am i doing it wrong? i put a tiny amount on a cotton pad and dab it on my eyes.

You don't have to use a separate eye makeup remover as long as your makeup remover is gentle enough to use around your eyes. Besides, you can also use Extra Virgin Olive Oil to remove your eye makeup. It works better than any eye makeup remover I've ever tried so far.

To remove your eyeshadow and upper eyeliner, close your eyes and wiped it gently across your eyelid.

TO remove your lower eyeliner and mascara, just wipe your eyelashes and your lower eyes gently, just make sure it doesn't get into your eyes.

Guest noberri

what do you girls do to stop foundation/bb cream from sliding off your nose specifically? my nose tends to get shiny during the winter and esp in the office and my foundation ends up fading or sliding off incl. my concealer and since i have a bit of redness at the wings of my nose, it's annoying. even when i blot with blotting paper lightly it comes off. i usually follow with mac blot powder but then it looks too 'powdery'. i usually use bb cream, diorsnow foundation, or the dior powder foundation and this happens with every one of them. any insight?

secondly, when i apply eyeshadow some small particles tend to drop under my eyes and then smudge or 'darken' my undereye area. am i applying too much, the wrong way, or with the wrong tools? any way to alleviate this?

Guest Lolly~

^ hmm. regarding the product on your nose, you seem to have tried all the right products (blotting paper, blot powder etc) so maybe you should try to treat the shine itself? there are loads of face washes/products that are good for treating shine.

regarding the eyeshadow, you're talking about what is sometimes called 'fall out.' to combat this, i usually put some tissue or card under my eye when applying eyeshadow, so the fall out goes on that and not on my face (which can be a pain to get off!) :)

Guest super piggy

chibi_cupcake> since the eyes are sensitive you should probably invest in an eye makeup remover, i have never found a facial cleanser that can remove eye makeup that well as an eye makeup remover, esp for those hard to reach places like the lash line... lancome has the absolute best imo

another alternative that doesn't cost as much is Neutrogena oil-free eye makeup remover. the only con about it is that you have to wash your face after. but all your makeup comes off with one swipe with no pull or tug.

what do you girls do to stop foundation/bb cream from sliding off your nose specifically? my nose tends to get shiny during the winter and esp in the office and my foundation ends up fading or sliding off incl. my concealer and since i have a bit of redness at the wings of my nose, it's annoying. even when i blot with blotting paper lightly it comes off. i usually follow with mac blot powder but then it looks too 'powdery'. i usually use bb cream, diorsnow foundation, or the dior powder foundation and this happens with every one of them. any insight?

secondly, when i apply eyeshadow some small particles tend to drop under my eyes and then smudge or 'darken' my undereye area. am i applying too much, the wrong way, or with the wrong tools? any way to alleviate this?

For the foundation sliding problem, I notice this usually happens if you're in an area with a lot of light, or heat. However, sliding also happens when you mix the ingredients in each product. Are you using an oil base moisturizer with a water base foundation, or vice versa? This can also cause sliding. Have you tried to just apply a translucent powder on your nose, and foundation on the rest of your face? Sometimes you may not NEED foundation on a certain area, especially if there is a problem. HTH :)

As for your eyeshadow dilemma, Lolly basically suggested you the most effortless idea you can try to incorporate in your routine everytime you apply eyeshadow. I usually try to make sure there isnt a lot of eyeshadow product on the brush, so that it wont fling off, and then I wipe under my eyes with a tissue and apply concealer. Just try not to go crazy with the eyeshadow, knowing that the fall out will go directly under your eyes :) HTH

Guest iPhets

thanks for the tips everyone!

i will try it one more time, this time ill try to be more careful.

but if it still gets in my eye then i'll just get the oil free makeup remover baby814 suggested.

@graceyoon, i would try that too but i don't think ill be able to afford it atm. i'll need to wait for when i start my job ^_^. thanks for the recc though!

• 1 month later...
Guest pikasaki

Hey guys. I have a problem. When I first apply my foundation, it looks fresh and smooth, but when I come home, I notice some areas on my face have dry spots. I don't have dry skin. I have normal/combination skin and I always moisturize and put on a good enough amount so there are no dry areas when I start putting on the foundation. I'm using Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel.

I don't think it's the foundation's problem either. I've always had this happen with the BB Creams and other foundations I've used.

Should I switch moisturizers or start using a primer? What can I do?

Guest lychee_poo

^ Well if your current one isn't working for you then you should try a new one. I have the same skin as you and I found that the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel only worked well during the summer when my skin was more on the oily side. Try something different.

And do the dry spots look flakey? That might mean you need to exfoliate the dead skin off. Try to exfoliate once a week, it makes a huge difference to your skin.

Guest lightofhonest

okay so Im buying makeup now and I was wondering what way is better to apply it, stipling or just brushing it on with one of those fluffy brushes, i got forgot the name.

Archived