Make-up Q & A Thread

Guest Nightsky1

Guest chimerical.

^ pigment is the color's intensity. if eyeshadow is NOT pigmented, then you would have to keep patting your brush in the shadow to get more color.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Yuenie

Does anyone have tips on putting eyeliner for people with very close-cut double eyelids? Example of close cut eyelids:

closeseohyun.jpg

I want to be able to get my eyes to look bigger, but I can't really put a thick line on my upper eyelids because they will smudge to my crease/brow bone when I open and close my eyes. Any other tips on making the eyes seem bigger?

Guest x SaRaNg HaE x

Does anyone have tips on putting eyeliner for people with very close-cut double eyelids? Example of close cut eyelids:

closeseohyun.jpg

I want to be able to get my eyes to look bigger, but I can't really put a thick line on my upper eyelids because they will smudge to my crease/brow bone when I open and close my eyes. Any other tips on making the eyes seem bigger?

Man, I had the same problem dealing with close-cut eyelids. They're annoying... but makeup can do anything.

When putting on eyeshadow, apply a little past the eye socket (where most people tend to stop). If you go a little higher, the eyeshadow will peek through and will actually be visible for once.

Highlight your brow bone and inner corner of your ears. For the inner corners, I stop right underneath the middle of my pupil (so basically half of the bottom of your eye). Blend a little with a blending brush so it doesn't look too obvious.

And for eyeliner, don't apply heavily because it'll look too dramatic and like you said, it'll smudge. Instead, practice winging out the eyeliner and it'll elongate your eyes and give you that cat-eye look. If you wing out short, the wing will just be hidden by your fold and all you'll see is a tiny flick. If you wing out correctly, the wing goes just past your fold so that even when you open your eyes, the wing will still be visible. It takes a lot of practice, but it'll make a difference.

After, a pencil eyeliner and line 3/4 of your bottom lid and connect with your wing.

And finally, use a same colored eyeshadow and powder over the eyeliner on both the top and bottom lids to set them so that they won't smudge.

Hope that helped! If you need anymore help, I can show you pictures of how I do my eye makeup. ;D

Guest ronisu

^ pigment is the color's intensity. if eyeshadow is NOT pigmented, then you would have to keep patting your brush in the shadow to get more color.

THANKS <3

Guest Rissalicious

i have a question about mascara, maybe two.

one;;

how do you know if you're putting on too much mascara? i feel like i am, but i like the look of it rather than wearing falsies. here's how much i would normally wear;

too much?

two;;

how do you get that tapered look using mascara? i like it when the lashes start out long and get shorter towards the inner corner.

Guest treeshaa

I think the question was asked before, but I'm not too sure. Where and how do you guys store your make-up brushes? I just bought a couple brushes from ELF and used some of them, but afterwards, I just put them back into the original packaging. (x

Thank you!

Guest x SaRaNg HaE x

I think the question was asked before, but I'm not too sure. Where and how do you guys store your make-up brushes? I just bought a couple brushes from ELF and used some of them, but afterwards, I just put them back into the original packaging. (x

Thank you!

I only have eye makeup brushes, but I place them in a double shotglass, HAHA.

There's also the really popular Sephora-inspired way where you basically fill a clear plastic container with glass beads that you can find at Michaels or Joanns:

Sephoraholder.jpg

Credit: twopeasinabucket.com

Guest itsannies

i have a question about mascara, maybe two.

one;;

how do you know if you're putting on too much mascara? i feel like i am, but i like the look of it rather than wearing falsies. here's how much i would normally wear;

too much?

two;;

how do you get that tapered look using mascara? i like it when the lashes start out long and get shorter towards the inner corner.

I like your lashes. I don't know how you would determine too much mascara, for me, it would be when it gets clumpy and gross looking. And for the tapered look, falsies would be the easiest. Just get those half ones and put it at the outer corner of your eye. Or you could use those small eyelash curlers, and curl the outer corner closer to the lash line.

Thank you!

I have a vase filled with glass beads. I like it but I don't like it. I like it cause it helps organize it a little better. I don't like it because the brushs collect dust. I think the most simple way is to just get those mini plastic storage containers with the 3 drawers. It's small, and can fit on your desk and shields the brushes from dust. Or, if you want to stick with the vase idea, I saw a video on I think it was with pursebuzz and she had jars like the ones you see at the juicy store. She filled it up with the glass beads, and it keeps dust out cause it's like a cookie jar and has a cover. And if you plan to go do something with those glass beads, I suggest printing out those 40% off michael's coupons cause it is so worth it afterwards. =D

Guest to.dance

I was just wondering if it's bad to put concealer on the eyelids?

I want to stop my eyeliner on my eyelid from smudging & read that putting some concealer or foundation would prevent it.

Oh! & should it be sunscreen then moisturiser? Or vice versa?

I should've got a moisturiser with sunscreen, but mum already got me seperate ones ><

Thanks in advance!

Guest Yangie12

I want to stop my eyeliner on my eyelid from smudging & read that putting some concealer or foundation would prevent it.

I should've got a moisturiser with sunscreen, but mum already got me seperate ones ><

Thanks in advance!

You can put concealer on your eyelids, no harm in that. But if you want to prevent your eyeliner/eyeshadows from smudging, it might be a better idea to use an eyeshadow base. It's entirely up to you though, but since you only mentioned eyeliner, I think that concealer is sufficient enough :]

Moisturizer first and sunscreen. Let it set for awhile before applying a primer or any other foundation.

Hope it helped!

Guest YukiPuu

Thanks in advance!

Concealer shouldn't cause a problem on your eyes, since many people put them underneath their eyes anyway. Personally, I use concealer as an eyeshadow primer and it works fine for me. You'd have to have a good concealer, one that won't budge throughout the day.

If you want a proper primer, Urban Decay Primer Potion's been the popular favorite. A cheaper, drugstore alternative would be L'oreal's De-crease eye primer. It's less than half the price for Urban Decay's primer.

Moisturizer then sunscreen. SPF 15 is considered adequate for daily use.

Guest yeppmusic7

QUESTION

i asked this question in the single eyelids thread, but i think this section is a bit more appropriate?

imgKimoraLeeSimmons4.jpg

my skin is a tan color like kimora lee. i can find a lot of tutorials for single eyelid makeup but my skin is light like the people in the videos.

i wonder what kind of eye color combos are good for my skin color?

Guest sindee

Does skin type matters when it comes to picking primer?

Also, are there any primers( for face) you guys would recommend??

Guest Beautiful*Nightmare

^

yes, it does. If you have oily skin or acne prone skin, make sure to choose oil-free based primer. If you have dry skin, then choose the one that has moisturizer property in it.

Also, Some makeup primer can make your skin looks really oily if you have oily skin. I love Clarins beauty flash balm, but I won't wear it if I have oily skin. It's fine if you have dry or even combination skin though. The other primer that I also really like is Anna Sui. That one is good for all skin types, I believe.

Guest lychee_poo

Does skin type matters when it comes to picking primer?

Also, are there any primers( for face) you guys would recommend??

There are a lot of primers more suited towards certain types of skin I believe. You can go on makeupalley.com and look through reviews of primers for and see if people with your skin type liked that primer, then you can find a primer that's more suitable towards your skin. Here's another really helpful guide: http://www.musingsofamuse.com/2010/06/choosing-the-best-facial-primer-for-your-skin-type.html

I use the Quo Foundation Primer and it's works alright. My make stays on longer of doesn't really do anything for my pores so I wouldn't really recommend it. Famous ones I have heard of are the Sephora one, L'Oreal one, and Hard Candy. Maybe you can try checking those out?

Guest xindi

How do you make powder blush last longer? I tried cream blush (the Maybelline mousse one), and it faded in like 2 hours just as powder blushes did... anyway I like powders better haha. I also tried the trick of putting powder blush over cream blush, but it resulted in clownish colors :mellow: The skin around my cheeks is just normal, there's never extra oil/dryness/acne or anything. Thanks in advance~

Guest momoko*

i am a eyeshadow newbieee!

foundation,concealer i'm fine with but i just cant seem to put on eyeshadow!

i have close cut eyelidss & i dont know how to work with them!

i've watched tutorials on youtube but i csnt get my eyeshadow to look like theirs..

des anyone have tips?..i have no idea how to blend, highlight..just everything lol!

Guest dongbang_x3

ahh I'm having trouble with using bb cream :[ I don't know why my skin always look so flaky, especially my nose -.-' It looks as if my skin was peeling off :crazy: I do moisturize my skin beforehand and I exfoliate my skin every week . I never have this problem when I apply on my foundation. What could be wrong?

Guest ShortaznGirl

I heard that foundations or tinted moisturizers with spf in it make your face look very white, especially in pictures. i've found this to be true in my case, but i really don't want to purchase a product without spf because i'm scared of what it could do to my skin. however i hate that my face looks so white in pictures. does anyone have suggestions of products i could use or a solution to my problem?

Guest YukiPuu

I heard that foundations or tinted moisturizers with spf in it make your face look very white, especially in pictures. i've found this to be true in my case, but i really don't want to purchase a product without spf because i'm scared of what it could do to my skin. however i hate that my face looks so white in pictures. does anyone have suggestions of products i could use or a solution to my problem?

You can try using a moisturizer with SPF under your foundation (without SPF) and set it with a power (without SPF). It works for me when I take pictures.

If you're going to be taking pictures during the day and outdoors, do without the flash; you don't need it anyway.

If you're going to take pictures at night, then you don't need anything with SPF ^^

Archived