Spoonful of EVOO Every Morning To Help Internally Cleanse

BoAFriend

Helps Improve The Complexion?
I'm just curious as to if any other Soompiers have tried this method.

I'm sure we all know of how extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) is beneficial to the skin externally and such. Well the problem with me is, I think my skin is allergic to EVOO when applied (I begin to see slight redness after a few applications). I tried the oil cleansing method (OCM) during the end of summer and my face suffered with horrible redness. I also wasted $35 on a jar of that Egyptian Magic Cream, only to see what I feel were also allergies.

I never really heard of the internal benefit of EVOO until a few months ago when my mom went on a retreat to Israel with her church. Well my mom told me while there, she picked up a tip from Israeli women with flawless skin who said that swallowing a spoonful of EVOO every morning (on an empty stomach) would eventually help your skin a lot.

I looked up some facts about this, and apparently it helps because the EVOO picks up built up waste and gunk in the intestines, and this in turn, improves digestion, which will eventually improve one's complexion.

Has anyone tried this before and seen improvement in their skin (namely acne)? My mom and I both have been suffering from mild to bad cases of redness and allergy/rosacea like symptoms on our faces the past few months, and my mom told me she took a spoonful of EVOO first thing in the morning for about a week and a lot of her redness/flare ups on her face immediately went away. I've barely tried this for one day so far and of course results don't come that quick, but just wanted to know if anyone else has had success this way.

Thanks

Guest eru.pop

I just finished reading Eat To Live by Dr. Fuhrman, and I wouldn't recommend this. EVOO like any other oil is still bad for you to begin with. It's only seen as good because it is a better alternative to consuming saturated, trans., monosaturated fats, etc.

I also think there is a misperception with this. First off, the America diet vs. the Israeli is completely different. By this I mean that they probably eat a lot better than us and maybe consume the EVOO as well. However, we've probably misperceived their advice of taking the EVOO instead of the whole entire concept of eating a balanced diet.

Anyway, fat is fat period. I wouldn't ingest it. As for the OCM, I'm neutral with that.

Well I'm asking on the assumption that one's diet is relatively balanced.

What would you guys think?

My dad's also tried persuading me countless times to drink warm water with honey and also I think warm water with honey and a bit of vinegar, which is supposed to cleanse the digestive system. He said he did it as a teen and it helped clear up his skin in the long run.

Guest Verso

I don't doubt there might be risks in taking EVOO, but I've heard plenty of people ingesting EVOO regularly and noticing increased health benefits. It's already proven to reduce the risk of certain heart diseases and promote good health in general. As for the whole "fat is fat" thing--there a huge difference between the bad and good fats. Many of us take omega 3 supplements every day.

I'd actually recommend dipping bread in the oil--eating the oil, not drinking it. It sounds pretty unpleasant to have to gulp that stuff down every day.

Of course, I will agree that just taking olive oil won't grant miracle effects. It is important to pair it up with a healthy diet to begin with (we all know there aren't any shortcuts to a healthy body).

Guest dolcedor.

I just finished reading Eat To Live by Dr. Fuhrman, and I wouldn't recommend this. EVOO like any other oil is still bad for you to begin with. It's only seen as good because it is a better alternative to consuming saturated, trans., monosaturated fats, etc.

I also think there is a misperception with this. First off, the America diet vs. the Israeli is completely different. By this I mean that they probably eat a lot better than us and maybe consume the EVOO as well. However, we've probably misperceived their advice of taking the EVOO instead of the whole entire concept of eating a balanced diet.

Anyway, fat is fat period. I wouldn't ingest it. As for the OCM, I'm neutral with that.

Olive oil is not bad for you. Fat is an essential part of your diet; you need it. Not only that but the fat in olive oil is mostly unsaturated. Also, it's been a while since I last took biology but what the heck is monosaturated fat?

And this sounds like bull:

I looked up some facts about this, and apparently it helps because the EVOO picks up built up waste and gunk in the intestines, and this in turn, improves digestion, which will eventually improve one's complexion.

The (large) intestine is perfectly capable of passing waste on its own. Also, digestion and absorption occur in the small intestine - why would the waste in the large intestine affect absorption when it comes AFTERWARDS?

My dad's also tried persuading me countless times to drink warm water with honey and also I think warm water with honey and a bit of vinegar, which is supposed to cleanse the digestive system. He said he did it as a teen and it helped clear up his skin in the long run.

This is nothing more than anecdotal "evidence". How do you know it wasn't simply getting over puberty that cleared up his acne? Also, the digestive system is meant to have waste; it's also meant to cleanse itself on its own.

I don't doubt there might be risks in taking EVOO, but I've heard plenty of people ingesting EVOO regularly and noticing increased health benefits. It's already proven to reduce the risk of certain heart diseases and promote good health in general. As for the whole "fat is fat" thing--there a huge difference between the bad and good fats. Many of us take omega 3 supplements every day.

I'd actually recommend dipping bread in the oil--eating the oil, not drinking it. It sounds pretty unpleasant to have to gulp that stuff down every day.

Of course, I will agree that just taking olive oil won't grant miracle effects. It is important to pair it up with a healthy diet to begin with (we all know there aren't any shortcuts to a healthy body).

+1

Guest misstiffany

gross.

I heard of ACV cleaning out your insides though.

why can't you just eat healthy and consume more water?

gross.

I tried ACV two summers ago and my face did somewhat clear up, but I grew so sick of the taste of apple that even to this day, I can't drink apple juice.

And if I've been eating healthy and drinking a lot of water and it worked, you think I'd be here with this thread? Obviously doing that hasn't worked for me.

The (large) intestine is perfectly capable of passing waste on its own. Also, digestion and absorption occur in the small intestine - why would the waste in the large intestine affect absorption when it comes AFTERWARDS?

Of course I know the intestines can clear waste by themselves. I'm just saying in general what I've heard that EVOO can help with clearing out waste in the intestines, mainly excess stuff that sometimes isn't fully digested or let out.

This is nothing more than anecdotal "evidence". How do you know it wasn't simply getting over puberty that cleared up his acne?

Well, I don't know. I'm just saying that my dad told me this was a method of a sort, so I was just wondering maybe if anyone had tried this method as well. I've heard a lot of Chinese places recommend this method.

Guest Verso

gross.

That's not a very fair thing to say. Plenty of crappy skin conditions are because of the environment or just plain genetics. Not everyone can get by with a basic skincare routine. I eat and live as healthily as I can, and I still need a doctor to prescribe me pills for my acne. :/

Guest Michelle~*

i really think that TIME is your best bet... if you've tried everything to keep your health in top shape, and your skin is still crappy, there's nothing much u can really do .... it's all in your genes! your skin will get better when you're in your early 20's.. dont worry. well, how old are you right now actually?

also, EVOO has health benefits, but drinking it just sounds nasty. even worse than ACV. just use it to cook eggs or something.

Olive oil is great, but like everything else, only in moderation. If you plan to use this method, you have to cut back with almost all the other fats you consume. You might want to try the olive oil scrub or if you have the money, Philosophy. I can't speak for myself but I've been told they work wonders because they're extremely close to your skin's natural pH level.

My skin always look vibrant after an EVOO scrub. It has never broken my skin out but I don't have sensitive skin. I use a witch hazel toner right after to remove the excess oil.

Guest ChouChou

lol why is everyone being so critical

evoo is a good fat

just like cod liver oil and the fat found in stuff like avacado

it can't be likened to the kind of fat people use to fry chips etc, it's completely different

i don't know if consuming it everyday will improve your skin

but i don't really see the harm in it.. after all, it's only one spoon full

just think of italian people who live on the stuff and practially drench their food in it, they probably consume a lot more then one spoon everyday

aslong as you eat a relatively healthy diet and don't eat a lot of stuff like maccie ds

and i don't see how the whole "helps the intestine clean waste" thing is bull

yeh the intestine is built to get rid of waste itself but there's not harm in helping it get rid of more

i know lots of people who get regular colonics [procedure where you stick a tube up your bum and run water through your rectum/intestine to clean it out] and it has benifited them in lots of ways from weightloss to clearing the skin

i've seen it on tv people getting it done and you'll be amazed at how much waste is left inside you...its pretty gross

thats another thing you could try, colonics

aslong as your not iffy with the whole idea of a tube being stuff up your bum....and the hefty price aswell of course lol

Guest *.yl=-

consuming it like that sounds weird.

why not just drink water. it cleanses, is benefitial to the skin and its healthy

Guest cherubie

I think you should just try it and see for yourself. Obviously, none of us on here have a medical degree (or maybe) and most of the replies are mere opinions. Just because others think it's gross doesn't necessarily mean it won't work. Personally, I've never heard of it. But I've also never heard of cod liver oil, nutritional yeast or emu oil a month ago, and now I use it every day. I don't think a spoonful of olive oil is going to kill you. When we fry/cook things, we use a hell lot more than 1 teaspoon.

BTW, I'm drinking 2 teaspoons of cod liver oil every day, and drinking oil isn't as nasty as people think it is. After the first 2 times I don't even notice it.

consuming it like that sounds weird.

why not just drink water. it cleanses, is benefitial to the skin and its healthy

Oh really? If something that easy would have worked, you THINK I wouldn't have done it already? I've plowed through cases of water in the past months (3-4 bottles a day) and my skin has not gotten better.

And thanks for the replies. It looks as if I shouldn't have even bothered asking, given the types of responses I'm getting from people. No crap I know none of you have PhD's or whatever the hell, I was simply asking based on anyone's personal experience. But whatever

Guest plumerias

EDIT: I just reread the first post and you're talking about allergies and stuff also, but either way this should still help. Allergies could be caused from bad diet as well. When I was younger, I ate absolute crap and I always suffered from allergies (bad ones) and now that I'm a lot healthier, I never get allergies. To food or pollen/seasons.

I don't see any reason why you should be getting mad :huh: no one's attacking you, they're just offering advice.

Just wondering, what does your diet consist of? What is your meaning of "eating healthy"?

You should avoid any processed foods as much as possible and read ingredient lists like CRAZY. Question everything before you eat it, and eat as much fresh food as possible. LOTS of vegetables (raw or steamed), some fruit (fresh, no canned/cooked crap), and a decent amount of protein (lean) and a little dairy if you wish. And the oils you eat should be healthy ones, no trans fat ever (hydrogenated oils, partially hydrogenated, modified oils are bad). EVOO is one of the best ones if you're going to use oil. IMO butter is fine too in moderation, but others may disagree. If that wasn't how you were eating, then you might want to look back and try again. As for processed, refined sugar (regular white sugar), try to avoid it as much as possible. Avoid high fructose corn syrup like the plague.

Try to avoid chemical acne products/washes on your skin. SLS will irritate your skin even more and there's a lot of chemicals that may not be safe for the skin in those products. I don't know your regimen or whether you have one, but try switching completely to organic and natural products if you really need them.

You have to stick with it for your acne to clear up, though. You can't eat healthy for a month, have your acne clear up, and go back to eating McDonald's everyday again. It's the same thing with trying to lose weight. If you eat healthy for a year and just stop and go back to bad habits, you'll just get fat again. But hey, would you rather be unhealthy and eat junk all the time, or healthy and acne free?

Sorry for going off the original topic of this thread, but it seemed like you were looking for help on your acne more than the EVOO. In response to that, I would say if your skin is already that bad, the EVOO will not do anything for you and you'll end up disappointed and frustrated again. That's just my opinion though; you can try if you want, I don't see any harm in trying.

And well.. if you are eating healthy, living healthy, exercising, and you still have problems then I'm sorry. :s

Also, I'm in no way saying that you are doing or not doing any of this. I don't know you at all or anything about your lifestyle. This is a general informative message for anyone.

Guest cherubie

Oh really? If something that easy would have worked, you THINK I wouldn't have done it already? I've plowed through cases of water in the past months (3-4 bottles a day) and my skin has not gotten better.

And thanks for the replies. It looks as if I shouldn't have even bothered asking, given the types of responses I'm getting from people. No crap I know none of you have PhD's or whatever the hell, I was simply asking based on anyone's personal experience. But whatever

Your replies are all so negative. If you're ASKING for opinion, people will give their opinion- some will agree, others won't. You can take it or leave it. If you've already made up your mind to drink the EVOO, why bother asking? If you DO ask, be open to any possibility of stupid/good advice people may give. You're acting as if we're trying to sell you something or putting you down.

Guest eru.pop

^ +1

My post was merely a reiteration of a physician's advice from a book.

EVOO lowers heart disease because it is the better alternative.

For instance, you decide to replace fat-free milk with organic soy milk.

Evidently, it's better. Similarly, you replace the damaging oils with EVOO which merely eases the damage done by saturated fats hence its "lowering heart disease" effects.

As for the omega-3 oils, most of the manufacturers of this oil end up turning it rancid, so most of the time, uneducated consumers buy it and waste their money.

Like I said, this is a reiterating of Dr. Fuhrman's advice, not mine. Take his advice or leave it.

Archived