Hair Wax

damyoungji

Achieving more volume
Just over a month ago, I cut my hair short and by short I mean halfway between my chin and neck. I bought wax at the salon, but I am not sure how to use it properly. I normally take showers at night so when I wake up the next morning, my hair is flat. No matter what I do with the wax, my hair still stays flat (especially when I wear big headphones and I sometimes were hats). Even if I was to take a shower before I head out, wax does not make my hair the way I want it to be. Since my hair is short, I want it to have more volume to make it look less plain. Is there a way to achieve more volume with wax? I have a lot of hair, so that might be a factor, too. A friend suggested to me that I can always spray some water on my hair, then blow dry it again after I apply the wax. But is that safe? It sounds like it will damage my hair if I have to blow dry it every time I go out, especially when I usually blow dry it at night since I do take late night showers at times.

Guest TimothyHoang

Which kind of wax are you using? make sure you put the wax on the three longest fingers on your hand and penetrate deep in the roots of your hair.

Do that with a pea size amount. or maybe two if it is still too flat.

You may blow dry it up for volume and hair spray it afterward.

Which kind of wax are you using? make sure you put the wax on the three longest fingers on your hand and penetrate deep in the roots of your hair.

Do that with a pea size amount. or maybe two if it is still too flat.

You may blow dry it up for volume and hair spray it afterward.

I use "Henna Style Luck Hard Wax". It is some Korean brand I got from the salon.

I don't have any hair spray. I was planning to get it since I used it before (and it worked pretty well), but the lady said that wax will do it and that wax is less damaging. Not sure if the latter is true, but all I know is that I won't be inhaling hair spray all the time.

Try teasing your hair as well?

When I flat-iron my hair, my hair gets really flat since it's so straight. However, I do use Gatsby hair wax. Hair wax is more for "styling", but if you want it to hold long-term, as a finishing touch, you should a light coat of hairspray. BTW was your hair styled the way you WANTED it to look, after you got it cut at the salon? And they used the wax to style it? You can also "tease" your hair a little bit at the roots. I did that and it helped add a little bit of volume. Teasing works really well with shorter hair, but don't do it too much since it makes your roots tangly, imo. D;

I only use hair wax for my fringe/bangs though. However, sometimes my hair does get oily and it gets too wispy, instead of fluffy and full. I tend to add water to my bangs (mostly roots) since really short hair on me sticks up! Then I blow-dry downwards with a straight comb.

Guest deverish

Wax isn't usually the best for lasting hold, especially for long hair, it's more for styling.

Blow dry w/ head down while targeting roots if you want more volume. Maybe use a brush too?

If it flattens out during the day when you only use wax, then I agree with hairspray to go with the wax for hold.

Target the roots and just hold your breath I guess.

(Couldn't this have gone in a hair thread though?)

Guest Karaface

Wax is not designed to actually provide a rock solid hold like hairspray is, wax is usually used for textured more than anything else. To use wax you should use your index and middle finger to scoop up a small amount of product, place it on the palm of your other hand and rub to give it some heat, this makes the wax more pliable to style/texturize your hair. When applying wax, start from the back of the head where the neckline starts, then go outward. Some people find it easier if you lower your head in a nod to apply it from the back.

Another option is to use spray wax, personally I like Schwarzkopf 's Oasis Sherbet Spray Wax. As for the wax itself, I'm a fan of American Crew's Fiber. One of the strongest hold of putty/wax and with a no-shine finish. I used to have really short hair for the time I went to college. Hope this helps!

Archived