Maintaining Pale Skin

Honey.bee

...while swimming?
Okay, so here's the fact. I'm going swimming with my family after few weeks, i'm quite excited but what really gets on my nerves is suntan. I really, really don't wanna get burned and I probably drown since it's been 4~5 years I stopped swimming but I can't refuse to go. I already promised my brother and my mom is getting ready to buy me a swimsuit. It'll be great if it was a private swimming pool but unfortunately, it's not. It's a public swimming pool that is held outside. Only god knows I deliberately go outdoors in the night to prevent sunburning, though some might say i'm fussing over a stupid heat, my skin is my one and only trait! I like my pale skin and want to keep it afterwards but I know it's impossible, especially if I go swimming.

I'm gonna take my coppertone sport spf 48 sunblock lotion but some people says it's the worst sunblock lotion. It contains both of UVB and UVA but hm, does that makes me any more relief? No, I don't even know what they're for. I need better recommendations and ways to not get sunburned, please help!

Guest deeLOVELY

just wear sunblock with a high spf and you'll be fine

I dont get why you're stressing about getting darker skin

your natural skin color will come back

its not like a tan lasts forever

^ Just because a sunblock lotion have high spf, doesn't always mean it highers the chance of preventing suntan. My skin takes forever to get it's natural skin colour back. I have this leg tan from last summer, it's still there and I don't even stay outdoors much. If the answers were right infront of my nose, I wouldn't be asking here, no? T_T

Guest xspringrollsx

Besides sunscreen,

+wear a hat

+keep yourself covered with a towel or a longsleeve top when not swimming

Guest Pearlgirl

I think SPF 50 is sufficient enough so I don't think you have to worry about the level of the SPF. SPF 50 will filter approximately 98% of all UVB rays. What matters the most is how long the sunscreen will last and how often you should reapply. An SPF 15 will take you 120 minutes to burn and if you enter water, it'll be even faster.

I'm not too sure which brand would suit you the best but you should at least purchase a waterproof sunblock so that it'll last longer while you swim. Remember to apply liberally all over your body (as UV rays can penetrate through swimsuits) and reapply after one or two hours.

I don't recommend applying body sunblock on the face. The sunblock tends to sting and irritate the eyes when you enter the water. You may want to look into a facial sunscreen for that purpose.

In terms of brands, you might want to check out makeupalley and read the extensive reviews.

Guest deeLOVELY

^ Just because a sunblock lotion have high spf, doesn't always mean it highers the chance of preventing suntan. My skin takes forever to get it's natural skin colour back. I have this leg tan from last summer, it's still there and I don't even stay outdoors much. If the answers were right infront of my nose, I wouldn't be asking here, no? T_T

the sunblock answer was the answer for not to get burned

if you get a tan try exfoliating

takes away the dead skin cells

Guest everdust

spf only really help with sun burns, not really with tanning =x. just use lots of sunblock, reapply every 2 hours and u'll be fine. if you are worried about your face, use lemon + yogurt face mask and/or diluted apple cider vinegar toner, it really helps =O. (gotta do it frequently, everyday for toner, 1-2 times a week for mask)

Okay, so here's the fact. I'm going swimming with my family after few weeks, i'm quite excited but what really gets on my nerves is suntan. I really, really don't wanna get burned and I probably drown since it's been 4~5 years I stopped swimming but I can't refuse to go.

That made me lol :D Just because this topic is about pale skin and that seemed so random xD

But just find a good sunblock, get a higher spf if it will make you feel better, but the key will be in making sure you reapply often. Even waterproof sunblocks will lose effectiveness faster if you're swimming, so make sure you keep reapplying.

UVA and UVB are different wavelengths, so you want a sunblock that blocks both. Your skin getting darker is from the production of melanin, which your body produces to try to reduce the amount of harm the radiation is doing to your body (darker skin is better at absorbing the radiation). If your sunblock is actually blocking most of the UVA and UVB rays, you should not significantly darken.

Personally, I like Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer sun block:

Neutrogena-Ultra-Sheer-Dry-Touch-Sunblock-SPF-85_slideshow_image.jpg

Guest YeonCouture

there's not really much you can do, you're gonna get tanned no matter what.

there's spf 100+ products from neutrogena so go for those.

you should dry your body and reapply every 15-20 minutes.

also, i suggest that you look for a sunscreen that's especially formulated to be used on your face

just so you don't have to worry about your pores getting clogged. also, you won't be having to wash our

your eyes every 5 seconds because the neutrogena dry touch sunblocks are really irritating around the eyes.

Guest ginger

Hate to break it to you, but you'll probably still get tanned. Being in the water tans you much faster than laying out. Even if you slather yourself down in sunblock/screen, you're going to get at least a small tan.

-ginger

Guest curtains
;) Even there is sunblock, still you can get burn. I think Don't swim when sun is too hot, try to wait at noon so you don't get burn.

Guest Mirae-chan

Swim.. in the shade? o_o and slather on a very water resistent sunscreen with a high SPF at least every 2 hours.

Guest crackednut

Whats the point in living if you're going to worry so much about staying pale? Do what you can about with sunscreen and shade, but focus your attentions more on having fun. Its the summertime!!!

Archived