Official Which Dslr Should I Buy Thread

awdark

Guest calv1124

not really which dslr i should buy, but what lens ...

so i HAVE been thinking for a few months now on what new lens i should get (i only have the 18-55),

and i did ask around about whether i should get a 30mm or 50mm prime in the DSLR thread .

so i decided on getting a 50mm ,

but now i don't know whether i should get the canon 50 1.8 (CHEAP CHEAP!) or save up and wait a bit more to buy a sigma 50 1.4 =X

any advice ?

I actually use my 35mm f1.8 more than my 50mm.... but if you're going to get a 50mm, just get the one made by canon. You won't see much difference between f1.4 and f1.8. Unless you're serious about low light haha. Sigma have a few issues with their 50mm I think, but if it's working it would be preferable to the canon (only if you're willing to pay extra haha)

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest La.La^^

mmm.

for dslr.

with canon 1000D and nikon D3000.

because. people said that D3000 have the guide that will help the beginners to learn the basics.

but. some people recommend canon. because it is easier to use. in general.

which one is more easy to use and more convenient.

especially for beginners. :P

any advice?

thanks.

Guest calv1124

mmm.

for dslr.

with canon 1000D and nikon D3000.

because. people said that D3000 have the guide that will help the beginners to learn the basics.

but. some people recommend canon. because it is easier to use. in general.

which one is more easy to use and more convenient.

especially for beginners. :P

any advice?

thanks.

1000D is a bit cheaper, but I don't really like the quality of the lens that comes with it in the kit.

Personally I would get the D3000 (if you can, try and get a D5000)

But both the Canon and Nikon path are good choices.

The 1000D is likely to confuse you at the start, but you'll get the hang of it with some study.

The D3000 will be teach you about the fundamentals, so in my opinion it would be a better choice.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest -HyuNi-

Budget (Camera body only or including kit lens): everything ~$700 - max 1000 CND (less if in US)

Frequency of Usage: So-so ~ not much time

Purpose (What, where, when?): ~ general stuff? 1) Scenery 2) People 3) Figures

Size/Weight: Not too big not too heavy ~ I'm kind of weak ;p

Desired Functions: Able to focus nicely for close objects, nice nice colour and don't blur! (i hate blurry stuff) + if possible, night time scenes ;O

Preferred Brand: Canon but Nikon is okei too

Preferred lens (Fixed Focal, Wide Angle, Macro, Telephoto, Prime, or specific mm/f-stop etc): *I'm a noobie, unable to answer =(

Thanks =]

I'm hope I'll be able to take more photos with a DSLR instead of a digital (i hate my digital)

Looking for something that is easy in beginners and that I can learn from it and hopefully, it has a bit of auto setting but also allow me to change.

Considering your budget, I'd go with the consumer grade cameras (Canon = XTi, XSi Nikon = D40/60/80)

I also think since these cameras are the smallest and more light weight than their bigger, beefier, and more expensive cameras, you'll like them too.

I just checked slickdeals.net and they have a good deal on the XSi with 2 lenses, and camera bag. Check it out:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1787446

not really which dslr i should buy, but what lens ...

so i HAVE been thinking for a few months now on what new lens i should get (i only have the 18-55),

and i did ask around about whether i should get a 30mm or 50mm prime in the DSLR thread .

so i decided on getting a 50mm ,

but now i don't know whether i should get the canon 50 1.8 (CHEAP CHEAP!) or save up and wait a bit more to buy a sigma 50 1.4 =X

any advice ?

Since you have the EF-S 18-55mm, I'm going to assume that you have a crop body. When I had my 40D, I got the sigma and I thought it was a bit too long. I always found myself having to step back a step or two because the frame was too tight.

Once I got my 1D MarkII which had a 1.3x crop and eventually my full frame body, I LOVE the lens. It's on my camera most of the time.

I'd suggest taping your lens to 30mm and shoot at the specific focal length all day and try the same at 50mm and see which one you like better. I bet you'd find the sigma 30mm (or Canon 35mm) on your crop body to be more of what you want.

Getting back to your original question (sigma or Canon 50), it's more than just f/1.4 vs f/1.8, although I beg to differ that f/1.4 is a game changer because it's that's a 2/3 stop difference. That could mean the difference between having the ability to capture something in low light, no blur, without flash, and less noise, than not being able to get an acceptable shot. f/1.4 is FAST!

Here's the reason why I chose the sigma 50mm vs the canon 50 f/1.8 and it's f/1.4 counter part.

The build. Sigma's is SO much better. No if's &'s and but's about it. the 1.4 is better, but micro usm that's notorious for crapping out after a 1 1/2 years? No thanks.

It focuses very fast, much faster than the 1.8 and almost or just as fast as the 1.4.

More aperture blades and larger glass (77mm) than both. That's huge because the bokeh is out of this world.

Image quality, Image quality, Image quality.

Biggest selling point: f/1.4. The f/1.8 can't do it, and the EF 50mm f/1.4 is known to not be as sharp wide open. I bought my sigmalux so I could use it at f/1.4 and get stellar results and not have to stop it down to 1.8 or 2.0 to get the same level of sharpness as the canon equivalent.

Like calv mentioned, sigma is almost famous for their poor calibration, but a front focusing or back focusing lens is infinately better than a lens that produces soft photos wide open because FF/BF can be fixed easily if you send it back to Sigma, where a soft photo wide open just means poor design and construction. If you can afford it and you want really amazing IQ, why wouldn't you risk getting a sigma? Even if you happen to get a FF/BF one, you can have it calibrated and back to you within two weeks. I'd say it's worth it.

Basically, if you google sigma 50 vs canon 50, you'll see this come up hundreds of times and the concensus is that the sigma beats the canon 1.8 and 1.4 HANDS DOWN and even can be compared to and rivaled against the $1,400 Canon 50L. It depends on how serious you are about photography. If you're willing to invest in some really spectacular glass, and take the time to know how to use it, you will not be disapointed.

If you want photos of some shots taken with it, I'm going to post some photos I took of my europe trip soon and I'll let you know which photos I took with the sigmalux.

Guest insertnameHERE.

calv1124, thanks for the feedback !

[HyuNi]

i ended up getting the 50 f/1.8 because it was more budget-friendly at $99.99

you were right though , i find 50mm a really awkward focal length to shoot at .

it definitely takes some getting used to .

it really does sound like the sigma 30 1.4 is an amazing lens !

i probably will eventually get it , once i save up enough .

i'd love to see photos from your europe trip !

i've seen your photos before and i love them ,

so i can't wait :)

oh and i use an xsi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest replica

Budget (Camera body only or including kit lens): £500 / $800 max

Frequency of Usage: I want to take it with me most places.

Purpose (What, where, when?): Everything. Mostly dolls, sky, animals, portraits, cityscapes at night.

Always enjoyed photography want to take it more seriously.

Size/Weight: Somthing that I can take around with me with fair ease, nothing too heavy.

Desired Functions: decent battery life, no blur I don't have steady hands AT ALL, liveview, I don't really know much ;__;

Preferred Brand: dunno, cannon?

Preferred lens (Fixed Focal, Wide Angle, Macro, Telephoto, Prime, or specific mm/f-stop etc): Well i want to do macro, no idea what the others are haha. ;o

So yeah basically I want a camera, that I can take around with me that will be able to take high quality pictures w/o any delay and won't blur cause of my unsteady hand.

I'm a total noob about dslr's but im seriously considering going down the photography route, as I'm not very happy with the route ive taken ( drawing) but want to work within the creative industry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest ~.Linh.~

a question on the lense...

is it worth it to buy a sigma 18-200mm lense for a canon 1000d / 450d instead of the 18-55 kit lens?

still don't know which dslr to buy, I'm so unsure! The price difference is 100€ and ...for me, that's much BUT i don't want to wait anymore unless neccessary T_T

the shop assistent recommended the 1000d because "you actually don't need 12megapixel" and the basic functions are all there etc...and somehow he - personally - wouldn't recommend the 18-55mm lense...don't know what to think of him :huh:

I'm just sooo confused because the 450D with the 18-55mm kit lense costs as much as the 1000D with the 18-200mm lense...499€... -.-

For the 200mm lense on the 450D i'd have to pay 599€...so...hmpf -.-

Guest -HyuNi-

Budget (Camera body only or including kit lens): £500 / $800 max

Frequency of Usage: I want to take it with me most places.

Purpose (What, where, when?): Everything. Mostly dolls, sky, animals, portraits, cityscapes at night.

Always enjoyed photography want to take it more seriously.

Size/Weight: Somthing that I can take around with me with fair ease, nothing too heavy.

Desired Functions: decent battery life, no blur I don't have steady hands AT ALL, liveview, I don't really know much ;__;

Preferred Brand: dunno, cannon?

Preferred lens (Fixed Focal, Wide Angle, Macro, Telephoto, Prime, or specific mm/f-stop etc): Well i want to do macro, no idea what the others are haha. ;o

So yeah basically I want a camera, that I can take around with me that will be able to take high quality pictures w/o any delay and won't blur cause of my unsteady hand.

I'm a total noob about dslr's but im seriously considering going down the photography route, as I'm not very happy with the route ive taken ( drawing) but want to work within the creative industry.

You don't have a lot of options with your budget. You'll have to stick with consumer grade/entry level DSLRs (Canon Xs, XTi, XSi, T1i) (Nikon D40-D80, D3000, D5000)

Dedicated Macro lenses can get very expensive, they usually start in the $300 range.

My suggestion is to get the XSi and the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 macro. It allows you to use it as a general walkaround and it allows you to perform macro type photos as well. It should be around the $800 mark.

Dont be fooled into thinking using a DSLR will give you awesome photos. You'll have to learn HOW to use before you start getting the photo's you want.

a question on the lense...

is it worth it to buy a sigma 18-200mm lense for a canon 1000d / 450d instead of the 18-55 kit lens?

still don't know which dslr to buy, I'm so unsure! The price difference is 100€ and ...for me, that's much BUT i don't want to wait anymore unless neccessary T_T

the shop assistent recommended the 1000d because "you actually don't need 12megapixel" and the basic functions are all there etc...and somehow he - personally - wouldn't recommend the 18-55mm lense...don't know what to think of him :huh:

I'm just sooo confused because the 450D with the 18-55mm kit lense costs as much as the 1000D with the 18-200mm lense...499€... -.-

For the 200mm lense on the 450D i'd have to pay 599€...so...hmpf -.-

I'd stick with the 450D and 18-55IS. The 18-200 gives you the flexibility of being able to zoom, but the IQ from that lense isn't that great. The 18-55IS lens actually isn't that bad. Provided you can decent lighting conditions, you can get some very good quality photos.

here's a sample photo thread of the EF 18-55IS lens in action:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=445986

noob question:

Does any dslr have the function of fisheye style photo or is it a separate lens you have to buy for that?

=x

thanks

It's 100% the lens. The bad news is that fisheye lenses are very expensive with limited function.

I think you can recreate that fishy effect to a certain extent in photoshop, but I don't use photoshop enough to really know.

Guest PROshinigami

basically, i want a camera for concert photography which means it has to be good under low light and doesn't get TOO grainy under high ISO; but should also be able to take good video recording.

i'm thinking of the nikon d90, is that a good choice?

basically, i want a camera for concert photography which means it has to be good under low light and doesn't get TOO grainy under high ISO; but should also be able to take good video recording.

i'm thinking of the nikon d90, is that a good choice?

Don't forget your lens makes a big difference. For concert photography, you're going to need a fast lens so go for something that's f2.8 or wider (f1.8, f1.4 etc). The newer models handle ISO better these days but I don't know which one to recommend. If you want to do video recording, make sure the model you get does autofocus but I wouldn't really use a dslr for video recording much. People have said the focusing sometimes takes ages.

Guest PROshinigami

Don't forget your lens makes a big difference. For concert photography, you're going to need a fast lens so go for something that's f2.8 or wider (f1.8, f1.4 etc). The newer models handle ISO better these days but I don't know which one to recommend. If you want to do video recording, make sure the model you get does autofocus but I wouldn't really use a dslr for video recording much. People have said the focusing sometimes takes ages.

very true. what lens do you reccommend for concert photography? :)

very true. what lens do you reccommend for concert photography? :)

My only lens is a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 which I've gotten some decent shots with at concerts but if you have the money, go for something that might be even wider like an f1.4 (e.g. Canon 50mm f1.4 if you have a Canon dslr, don't know very much about the other brands). I use the 50mm end of my lens most of the time at concerts but it would be nice to be able to zoom in just a bit more sometimes. It's up to you but whatever you get, just make sure it's fast when you don't want a lot of noise from ISO. :) Oh and something which doesn't have slow autofocus issues, especially in dark places.

Guest PROshinigami

My only lens is a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 which I've gotten some decent shots with at concerts but if you have the money, go for something that might be even wider like an f1.4 (e.g. Canon 50mm f1.4 if you have a Canon dslr, don't know very much about the other brands). I use the 50mm end of my lens most of the time at concerts but it would be nice to be able to zoom in just a bit more sometimes. It's up to you but whatever you get, just make sure it's fast when you don't want a lot of noise from ISO. :) Oh and something which doesn't have slow autofocus issues, especially in dark places.

thanks very much for your advice! :) btw i checked out your flickr and i like the sharpness of a lot of your concert shots :)

Guest xOnlySabrina

Budget (Camera body only or including kit lens): $500-$1500

Frequency of Usage: Daily? As much as time allows.

Purpose (What, where, when?): Scenery, People, Things? :D Light graffiti. Everywhere. Everyday. O_O

Size/Weight: Not too heavy, not too light.

Desired Functions: Everything awesome? I really don't know...?

Preferred Brand: Nikon & Canon

Preferred lens (Fixed Focal, Wide Angle, Macro, Telephoto, Prime, or specific mm/f-stop etc): What? LOL. Whichever one is good...? :D Idk the difference between them. ;___;

Okay so basically, I want to buy a DSLR camera but the problem is:

I'm a noob.

I have no idea which models are "good", whatever the definition of a "good" DSLR camera is...

So I was wondering if anyone of you guys could recommend me one. Please. T_T

I don't want to/plan to going into photography for an occupation just as a hobby so it doesn't have to be a camera that can zoom so well, you can see someone's nose hairs from 1032032 ft away. But I do want one that will let me zoom in well enough & still get awesome quality. I was thinking maybe 10-15 MP? I don't know... Well enough to capture sceneries, people, etc. Like quality you feel like you can touch...

Preferably Canon or Nikon please. I did hear that Canon is pretty good though.

I definitely want one that will allow me to do light graffiti (good shutter speed).. So it has to have those super ghetto settings where you can change color/contrast, auto white balance, picture styles, etc. In other words, it can't be noob like me. :o

Hopefully the size won't be like killer heavy... I'm not doing weight lifting.

SD card

Yeeeeeeeeeeeah. That's about all I know.

So if anyone kind out there is nice enough to help out me, the noobie boobie, please do. I do want a fun experience with photography.

My price range is from FREE to $500/$1500 (that's a big difference).

If it's $500 to $700, my dad might buy me it... If it's over 800$, I might need to save up. So whatever.

Which ever you pros think is worth it.

Please & Thank You. :D

-Saboobie the Noobie. ):

Budget (Camera body only or including kit lens): USD 1k - 1.5k

Frequency of Usage: very frequently

Purpose (What, where, when?):scenery, landscape; everywhere and everyday

Size/Weight: doesn't really matter.

Desired Functions: the basic function

Preferred Brand: Canon / Nikon

Preferred lens (Fixed Focal, Wide Angle, Macro, Telephoto, Prime, or specific mm/f-stop etc): Wide Angle

Planning to get my first DSLR.

i actually have something in mind , Canon 550D. but the wide angle lens( 18-14mm) is too expensive.

any suggestion?

can i actually get other brand for the lens?

thanks in advance :)

Guest -HyuNi-

Budget (Camera body only or including kit lens): $500-$1500

Frequency of Usage: Daily? As much as time allows.

Purpose (What, where, when?): Scenery, People, Things? :D Light graffiti. Everywhere. Everyday. O_O

Size/Weight: Not too heavy, not too light.

Desired Functions: Everything awesome? I really don't know...?

Preferred Brand: Nikon & Canon

Preferred lens (Fixed Focal, Wide Angle, Macro, Telephoto, Prime, or specific mm/f-stop etc): What? LOL. Whichever one is good...? :D Idk the difference between them. ;___;

Okay so basically, I want to buy a DSLR camera but the problem is:

I'm a noob.

I have no idea which models are "good", whatever the definition of a "good" DSLR camera is...

So I was wondering if anyone of you guys could recommend me one. Please. T_T

I don't want to/plan to going into photography for an occupation just as a hobby so it doesn't have to be a camera that can zoom so well, you can see someone's nose hairs from 1032032 ft away. But I do want one that will let me zoom in well enough & still get awesome quality. I was thinking maybe 10-15 MP? I don't know... Well enough to capture sceneries, people, etc. Like quality you feel like you can touch...

Preferably Canon or Nikon please. I did hear that Canon is pretty good though.

I definitely want one that will allow me to do light graffiti (good shutter speed).. So it has to have those super ghetto settings where you can change color/contrast, auto white balance, picture styles, etc. In other words, it can't be noob like me. :o

Hopefully the size won't be like killer heavy... I'm not doing weight lifting.

SD card

Yeeeeeeeeeeeah. That's about all I know.

So if anyone kind out there is nice enough to help out me, the noobie boobie, please do. I do want a fun experience with photography.

My price range is from FREE to $500/$1500 (that's a big difference).

If it's $500 to $700, my dad might buy me it... If it's over 800$, I might need to save up. So whatever.

Which ever you pros think is worth it.

Please & Thank You. :D

-Saboobie the Noobie. ):

From what you shared with us, it's hard to recommend something to you. It's like saying that you have either 5,000 to spend on a car or 50,000 to spend on a car but you don't know what type of car or what you're going to do with the car.

What do you want from a DSLR? Simply put, a DSLR isn't a magic camera that will give you perfect photos 100% of the time. If you don't know what you want to do with it and how much you're willing to invest in this hobby, I would suggest researching and learning about photography (www.digital-photography-school.com) before you spend a lot of money.

But from what you wrote, it seems like you want a high quality digital point & shoot and not necessarily a DSLR. Contrary to popular belief, P&S cameras are not 'crappy' and actually have come a REALLY long way.

The Canon S90 is an amazing camera. It allows you to adjust shutter speed, aperture, focal length, ISO, and gives you the ability to change the color/contrast, WB, saturation, picture styles, very easily. Basically, it will do all of what you stated up top.

Here's a picture sample thread that shows you the potential of this small little compact:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=767912

I know that this may not be what you expected, but I really think you should investigate why a DSLR will be better for you than a high end point & shoot.

btw, there's no need to start a new thread because you haven't been replied to in this thread. It's just hard to recommend something to someone when it apparent that they don't have any clue what they are looking for.

Budget (Camera body only or including kit lens): USD 1k - 1.5k

Frequency of Usage: very frequently

Purpose (What, where, when?):scenery, landscape; everywhere and everyday

Size/Weight: doesn't really matter.

Desired Functions: the basic function

Preferred Brand: Canon / Nikon

Preferred lens (Fixed Focal, Wide Angle, Macro, Telephoto, Prime, or specific mm/f-stop etc): Wide Angle

Planning to get my first DSLR.

i actually have something in mind , Canon 550D. but the wide angle lens( 18-14mm) is too expensive.

any suggestion?

can i actually get other brand for the lens?

thanks in advance :)

I heard the T2i is a nifty entry level camera but I feel that it's too expensive for what it is. If you like the feel of the T2i and you don't necessarily need the 1080p HD video function, the XSi will probably be just as good as well as save you a lot of money.

But if weight doesn't matter as you stated above, you might find that the 40D/50D will suite you better. My suggestion is for you to go your local electronics store and hold all the cameras in your hand and flip every switch and press every button and see what feel most comfortable with you. That's INSTRUMENTAL in helping you decide what DSLR will be best for you.

As for the lens, I'm not sure what lens you're talking about because a 18-14mm does not exist. The EF-S 18-55IS is a great beginner lens most people start with.

Archived