Light Manipulation Photos

Guest kiritani69

Guest kiritani69

DSLR (digital single-lens reflex) cameras that can Manipulate Light
Does anyone know of a good DSLR camera that can take Light Manipulation Photos?? Examples of Light Manipulation photos are: 327683128_6_MBnz.jpeg

2639564578_f6a4eb80b6.jpg

2007-10-01-soocool_2859.jpg

Is a Sony DSC-T90 capable of creating Light Manipulation pictures??

Guest -HyuNi-

believe it or not, your regular point and shoot camera can take photos like that.

It has to do with extended shutter speeds.

Usually under good lighting, shutter speeds are instantaneous (1/2000th of a second)

For these type of shots, you're talking about way slower speeds like 2 - 4 seconds long.

There's an option in your camera to change your shutter speed. Reference your manual.

But if you don't feel like doing the leg-work and investigating, put your camera in 'fireworks' mode and shoot.

It should give you the type of effect you want.

keep in mind the longer the shutter speed, the more blurry the photo is going to be, due to subject movement and more importantly, camera shake.

The best case scenario would be to have the shutter open long enough to get what you want and no longer, because the longer the sensor is exposed, the more amount of movement it's going to capture.

If you have a tripod, attach it to your camera and put it on a time delay to get the best results.

Guest kiritani69

I asked today if the Sony DSC T90 and the Sony DSCG3 if it had manual mode... and they're like no... so does that mean I can't change the shutter speed?? I heard Panasonic is a pretty good camera for my kind of photos "Light Manipulation"

Guest kiritani69

I'm now thinking of getting a Panasonic Lumix LX3... i heard it's somewhat bulky... but still good... so I' m leaning more on the LX3 side ^^

Guest -HyuNi-

sounds like to me you'll be wasting a lot of money for something that can be done on your current camera...

Sondy DSC T90 manual:

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DSCT90_EN_ES.pdf

Check page 30... It tells you how to set the camera in fireworks mode.

Looks like there is no full-time manual mode, but the fireworks mode should be good enough for what you want.

Eitherway, seems like you aren't very interested in learning how to use your camera. If you do plan to get the Lumix, you'll probably be very dissapointed that you aren't getting the shots you want.

Guest instantudon

I'm not sure about the pricing but I just googled up the Panasonic Lumix LX3 and it came up as 500 dollars. @.@

If you're willing to spend around that much, why not get what I got. The Canon Rebel XTI. Just search around craigslist, I got the body + the kitlens it comes with for 550.

I took this picture with it:

3673613041_11f71431f0.jpg

Now granted, its not a good picture, but its because I suck at lighting painting and not because of the camera. :P

Guest kiritani69

@ Hyuni... You know how to make me think things thru again lmao... I mean I wanted the DSC T90... I heard lumix was also good... but I was iffy about the bulkiness... So I'll think it over thru now and guess what?? And the DSC G3 just entered the challenge... I'll research a bit on all the sony's now... I'm disqualifying the LUMIX for being too thick

Guest kiritani69

Ok... so I did a little Digging up... The only reason why the G3 is more expensive coz it have features... like internet browser... and I thought to myself... when will i ever need the internet browser??? and I came to the conclusion NEVER... I mean a digital camera was always to take pics... not browse the internet... even tho the feature is tempting... I've decided to go with a cheap but good camera as the DSC T90

Guest albasian

There's a way to get a point and shoot that doesn't have manual mode to do that.

Usually, when the lighting in an area is really low, the camera automatically sets its shutter speed to low (slow) so it can capture more light (that's why alot of the times, your night shots are blurry, unless high ISO is turned on).

So to do this kind of "light painting", a method is to cover the lens of the camera with your hand, press the shutter, remove your hand quickly and then do whatever, since the camera's shutter already adjusted to the darkness/shadow of your hand covering it.

Hope that helps.

• 1 year later...
Guest kiritani69

It has been a year since and an odd month since I last visited... and wrote on here, during that period... I had bought a Canon ELPH powershot SD780 IS a red one... I like it so far... and I have been able to manipulate light in photos...5600_1218886354659_1303903677_30667360_2064790_n.jpg

and...

9229_1283176921883_1303903677_30885317_4356007_n.jpg

what do you guys think?

Guest -HyuNi-

Hey kiritani, sorry I didn't see your updates until now!

cool, looks like ur started to get the results you want!

One tip though. Make sure your camera is stable when you light paint.

For these examples, I used a tripod:

3877437101_1e48bcea8c_o.jpg

3878230876_7dc67606ae_z.jpg

3991307578_75fbeb6bdf_o.jpg

Archived