Lee Mi Sook 이미숙

rubie

December 19, 2013

'Miss Korea' Lee Mi Sook Transforms Into 'Queen Maker'

KDramaStars.com

miss-korea-lee-mi-sook-transforms-into-q

Actress Lee Mi Sook showed great presence as she took control of the TV screen.
In the new Wednesday/Thursday drama "Miss Korea" (script Suh Sook Hyang, director Kwon Suk Jang), Lee Mi Sook appears as the charismatic "Queen Maker" leaving a great impact and attracting viwers.
In the drama, Lee Mi Sook appears as the director of Queen Beauty Salon Ma Ae Ri and does everything to create a Miss Korea as she goes around the country.
On the first episode aired on December 18th, Kim Hyung Joon (played by Lee Sun Gyun) goes to elevator girl Oh Ji Young ((played by Lee Yeon Hee) to secure his investments and Ma Ae Ri goes to find women that would be Miss Koreas.
At this time, Lee Mi Sook shows a great scene as she produces Miss Koreas year after year and can pick out who would be able to be a Miss Korea at one glance.  Especially by looking at the back of Lee Yeon Hee, she sees great potential and raises expectation about the future of the drama.
Viewers are also showing positive feedback.  Through the bulletin board, netizens and viewers are saying, "Lee Mi Sook's charisma explodes.  But there's a comical side too" "There's a side of her that's motherly and the side of Director Ma who I thought was cold was unexpected." "Will Director Ma and Hyun Joon be rivals over Ji Young?" "I hope Ji Young and Director Ma see each other soon" and showed various responses.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

xmas-happy.gif

December 24, 2013

Five Fun Facts About Lee Mi Sook

Source: KDramaStars.com

20120102-Lee-Mi-Sook.jpg

In the new drama "Miss Korea," veteran actress Lee Mi Sook plays Ma Ae Ri, the woman who molds contestants into beauty pageant winners. The glamorous star has had a long career in films and kdramas, first debuting in 1979 and her career continues to thrive. Here are a few facts you may not know about this actress.

1. She has played some good moms and some selfish ones. She was a good mom to Yoona in "Love Rain," willing to sacrifice her own happiness so that Yoona's and Jang Geun Suk's characters could be a couple. She was a terrible mom to her daughter, played by Moon Geun Young, and her stepdaughter, played by Seo Woo, in "Cinderella's Stepsister."  She was IU's birth mom in "You're the Best Lee Soon Shin."

2. Despite her many mom roles, the actress is still a sought after model and some of her photo shoots are sensational. She remains a favorite in magazine spreads. In 2010, at age 50 she did an editorial spread in Elle with BigBang's T.O.P., who is 30 years her junior.

In an interview, he remarked that the shoot, which portrayed an affair, exhausted him. "After we completed the photoshoot, we went to dinner. I came home that night and fell asleep straight away. I couldn't get up for the next two days for no logical reason at all. I must have been overtaken by her energy and spirit."
He described her as having an "overpowering sexy charisma."

3. The actress quit acting at age 27, shortly after marrying her husband a plastic surgeon but ten years later returned to acting with the award-winning film "An Affair." In that film she played a woman who falls in love with her sister's fiancée.  Her own marriage ended in an amicable divorce after 20 years.

4. A very popular star in the 80s, the actress has been winning awards for the last 30 years, including Grand Bell and Baeksang awards. Her most recent awards include a 2011 SBS actress award for A Thousand Days' Promise and a 2008 MBC Top Excellence Award for the TV series East of Eden.

5. She launched the Starit lingerie brand at age 50. She was also the primary model for her lingerie brand, which is sold on home shopping channels. It marked the first time that a Korean actress in her 50s modeled her own lingerie products. The brand's motto is "I am my life," which the actress says means that it is important to express what is beautiful about a woman at any age,

• 2 weeks later...

January 3, 2014

'Miss Korea' Lee Mi Sook, Strong Presence

By Staff Writer KDramaStars.com

miss-korea-lee-mi-sook-strong-presence.j

Lee Mi Sook added fun to the drama with her unique charisma.
On the 6th episode of MBC Wednesday/Thursday drama "Miss Korea" broadcast on January 2nd, Queen Maker Ma Ae Ri (played by Lee Mi Sook) rejected Ji Young (played by Lee Yeon Hee) in a cold way.
She had helped Oh Ji Young become Miss Korea but had rejected her when she refused to follow her authority to get breast surgery done.
On this day, Ma Ae Ri had an intense conflict with Hyung Joon (played by Lee Sun Gyun) who opposed breast surgery and holds Lee Yeon Hee's hands who feared breast surgery.
However, Ji Young doesn't listen to her and gives up breast surgery as she rejects her saying, "You're only number one in my care, not when you're elsewhere" as she coldly rejected her.  Lee Mi Sook added fun to the drama by adding warmth and charisma in her acting.
As she required an elevator pose for Miss Korea contestants, she made an impression with a strong look.  "The person who's the longest on the elevator can be 'Miss Korea' Let's see who can endure it the most" and motivating them conjured an image of the actual competition of Miss Korea.
Lee Mi Sook left an Impression like a veteran.  She would support younger actors like Lee Yeon Hee and Lee Sun Gyun and controls the overall flow of the drama.

You forgot Smile, Mom, @rubie. Now would that be a good mom or bad mom? A bit more to the bad side I think, because she never asked her daughter "What's YOUR dream?" But instead she forced her to be an actress, in which Dal Rae never wanted to be (her dream was to marry the reporter).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

November 3, 2014

Han Jung Soo Proves He Is The Mood Maker On Set

Source: BNTNews

bi1p8tjjn2zio9hn6p8lr4zcljo8i2jk.jpg

[by Sora Ghim] Actor Han Jung Soo is seen enjoying himself on set of his drama ‘Blade Man.’

Acting as the part of Secretary Ko, Han Jung Soo’s happy self can be seen in pictures taken on set. 

In the released photos, is seen with the staff and fellow co-workers, smiling brightly in each image. He is currently displaying the chemistry between two men from his teamwork with actor Lee Dong Wook who plays his boss. They took a picture together with Lee Dong Wook dressed as a bear. 

Outside of Lee Dong Wook, Han Jung Soo also took photos with Lee Mi Sook, Shin Se Kyung, and Jung Yoo Geun, showing his friendliness with everyone, not just actors or his seniors. He displays his gentle personality, caring for the staff and playing with the kids. 

Han Jung Soo is called the mood maker on set, with his laugh and comedic character. His affability and manner displays his warm nature, receiving love from everyone on set. 

Meanwhile, watch Han Jung Soo’s character on ‘Blade Man’ every Wednesday and Thursday night. (photo by Namoo Actors)

• 2 months later...

Calling All Soompiers!http://www.soompi.com/2015/01/20/calling-all-soompiers/

Hey Soompiers!
Help us make 2K15 the Year of Soompi!
Let us know what your thoughts are about SOOMPI through a short survey. What do you like? How can we improve?
Plus – if you take our survey we’ll be choosing 2 responses to win an album of choice (up to $25 dollars) from the Soompi Store!
Take the survey by February 2nd for your chance to make Soompi history and also win your favorite album. It’s a win-win situation!
Take the survey now and remember,
http://soompi.polldaddy.com/s/help-improve-soompi

• 2 weeks later...

February 11, 2015

JO Jung-suk, LEE Ha-na Pair Up for ROH Deok’s JOURNALIST

HAN Jae-rim Produced Thriller to Lens This Month 

by Pierce Conran / KOFIC

dsMMEdACbaQHbEYQEMEg.jpg
Initially unveiled during last year’s Busan International Film Festival (BIFF), ROH Deok’s sophomore film Journalist has now finalized casting and will begin principal photography before the end of the month. JO Jung-suk, LEE Ha-na and LEE Mi-sook lead the cast of the incoming thriller. JO will play a journalist caught up in a race to catch a scoop when a big murder case unfolds. The film will detail the ruthless and at times unethical world of news reporting. LEE Ha-na will play JO’s character wife while LEE Mi-sook is on board as his boss. Also starring in the film will be veteran performers KIM Eui-sung (Hill of Freedom), BAE Sung-woo (Way Back Home, 2013), KIM Dae-myung (The Target) and TAE In-ho (Ode to My Father). Following his breakthrough in Architecture 101 (2012), his award-winning turn in The Face Reader (2013) and lead part in the hit romcom My Love My Bride, JO has quickly risen to leading man status. LEE Ha-na, generally active on the small screen, returns to theaters for the first time since 2012’s R2B: Return to Base. Meanwhile, LEE Mi-sook has been a major star since the mid-80s, when she headlined classics such as Whale Hunting (1984) and Mulberry (1986). ROH Deok debuted two years ago with the unconventional yet successful romance Very Ordinary Couple. She will produce Journalist along with HAN Jae-rim, director of The Face Reader, while Lotte Entertainment will finance and distribute.

logo_filmbiz.jpg

February 13, 2015

Cast locked for Lotte's Journalist

By Kevin Ma FlimBiz

Production NewsJournalist 저널리스트, the sophomore film by Very Ordinary Couple 연애의 온도 (2013) director ROH Deok 노덕 | 盧德 (pictured), has locked its cast.

JO Jeong-seok 조정석 | 曺政奭 stars in the thriller as a journalist who joins a fierce race to score information on a high-profile murder case. LEE Ha-na 이하나 and LEE Mi-suk 이미숙 | 李美淑 co-star as the journalist's wife and his coldhearted boss.

The project was first announced during the Lotte Entertainment 롯데엔터테인먼트 party at last year's Busan International Film Festival 부산국제영화제. Director HAN Jae-rim 한재림 | 韓在林, who produced Very Ordinary Couple, is again on board as producer.

Journalist is set to begin production some time this month. No release date has been set.

Source: Movist
57s.jpg

• 7 months later...

October 9, 2015

Lee Mi Sook Seems Happy

Source: BNTNews

mgc1rshp6zx0gw1631jo4j5j2pz0y5ra.jpg

[by Woorim Ahn, photo by Baek Soo Yeon] Movie ‘Journalist’ held its press premiere at Lotte Cinema of Konkuk University in Seoul on October 8.

‘Journalist’ draws journalist Heo Moo Hyuk’s false report about serial killing. He realizes it is a huge mistake, but incidents are happening according to his report. Cho Jung Suk, Lee Mi Sook, Lee Hana, Bae Sung Woo and others appear in it.

Meanwhile, ‘Journalist’ will premiere on October 22. (photo by bntnews DB)

• 2 weeks later...

October 18, 2015

‘The Exclusive’ is thoroughly entertaining

Director Roh Deok’s satire offers an exciting, hilarious and insightful view of Korea’s media frenzy

Not only is director Roh Deok’s “The Exclusive: Beat the Devil’s Tattoo” a well-crafted commentary on how information spirals out of control in today’s world of media overflow, it is also thoroughly entertaining.

The film centers on Heo Moo-hyuk (Jo Jung-suk), a television reporter who is worn out by the pressures at the office and conflict at home. While suspended from work after one of his reports irks a powerful local conglomerate, Heo stumbles upon what seems like a hand-written note drafted by a much-wanted serial killer.

Heo hurries back to the newsroom with the note, certain he has just unearthed an exclusive story that will make his career. Bureau head Baek (Lee Mi-sook) runs the story the next morning without further investigation. It causes a nationwide sensation. Ratings soar, and Heo is instantly reinstated with a flare. 

That is when police investigator Oh (Bae Sung-woo) comes into the picture, questioning how the note -- undoubtedly an importance piece of evidence -- was acquired. Baek and her newsroom, however, refuse to cooperate, conveniently citing the journalist’s right and duty to protect the source of information.

As the struggle between the police force and media continues, Heo’s "exclusive" story takes on a life of its own. It spreads, grows and mutates, until the truth becomes buried in a sea of facts and speculation. Director Roh creates a world where media reports give birth to compelling events and even create criminals, rather than the other way around -- where a small, seemingly harmless report causes a butterfly effect, resulting in dire consequences. Meanwhile, in a subplot involving his wife Soo-jin (Lee Ha-na), Heo needs to come to terms with some difficult truths in his personal life.

Actress Lee Mi-sook as newsroom head Baek (Lotte Entertainment)

The film is ultimately a satire, but never too drenched in social message. It is rife with good humor and delightfully led by actor Jo Jung-suk -- who is so good at portraying the guileless common man that he renders his character instantly likable, and has the audience rooting for Heo from the very beginning, despite his flaws. Because Heo is by no means a scrupulous journalist or driven by a duty to deliver facts; rather, “he represents the average Korean salaryman,” as director Roh put it, barely hanging on to his job, being tugged different ways by various obligations, and perennially sleep-deprived. 

Lee Mi-sook is pitch-perfect in her role as the jaded, charismatic newsroom head, toughened in a predominantly male environment and all too familiar with the name of the game. She acts as the ideal instrument for director Roh -- who also wrote the screenplay -- to deliver some of her most poignant one-liners on the functions of media.

Possibly the only character sincerely intent on uncovering the truth is detective Oh, played with just the right balance between authority and humor by Bae Sung-woo. But even Oh is blind in his pursuit, and faces a dilemma when presented with two versions of the truth: one that is messy and unpalatable, but plausible, and another that is simple and convenient.

Director Roh explored, with uncanny honesty and humor, different types of romantic relationships in her 2013 debut film “Degree of Love.” In “The Exclusive,” she contemplates the notion of truth in not only the larger society and the media, but also at the individual level. What creates the gap between facts and reporting on facts? We are constantly choosing to believe and deny certain things, based on logic, evidence, emotion, instinct and so on. Do we simply end up believing in what we want to believe? These are some of the questions the film lingers on. 

“The Exclusive” opens in local theaters on Oct. 22.

By Rumy Doo (bigbird@heraldcorp.com)

• 3 months later...

To all friends at the thread celebrating Lunar New Year of the Monkey 恭禧發財2016lny3.jpg

2016: The Year of Monkey

Source: Korean Safari

monkey.jpg

2016 is the year of Monkey (Fire Monkey) starting from February 8, 2016 (called the Lunar New Year) and lasting to January 27, 2017.

Monkey ranks ninth position in the Chinese Zodiac. They are cheerful and energetic by nature and usually represent flexibility. People under the sign of the Monkey are wise, intelligent, confident, charismatic, loyal, inventive and have leadership.

The weaknesses of the Monkeys are being egotistical, arrogant, crafty, restless and snobbish.

• 6 months later...

August 27, 2016

[Guest Film Review] "An Affair"

Source: Hancinema.net

photo758426.jpg

Another entry in the vast category of romantic films, "An Affair" stands on a level above the majority of contemporary ones, despite the fact that it was screened in 1998.

Seo-hyeon is an ordinary, big bourgeoisie housewife, almost 40 years old, wife to a very successful architect, Joon-il, and mother of a10-year-old boy. Eventually, her younger sister, who cannot return from Los Angeles, asks her to help her fiancé, Woo-in, to find an apartment in the city. As the two of them more and more, So-hyun starts to be attracted to the young man, and when it becomes obvious that he carries the same sentiment, the two of them become lovers. So-hyun, gradually starts to realize that she has been unsatisfied by her life all these years, as a wife and a mother, and that the way she feels for the young man she has never felt for her husband. However, their relationship does not stay hidden for long, and she must decide what is it that she wants from her life.

photo758427.jpg

Lee Jae-yong, in his debut feature film, directs a film with two main advantages. The first one is that he presents the story with simplicity, without hyperbole, but with realism and naturalness. The second one is that he manages to avoid including melodramatic scenes and using intense music to strengthen his scenes, retaining a subtle, but quite meaningful flow throughout the whole film. The above traits become evident in the love scenes, where his sensitivity highlights the protagonists' feelings for each other.

The film benefits the most by the overall presence of Lee Mi-sook as Seo-hyeon and Lee Jeong-jae as Woo-in. Both of them are gorgeous, a prerequisite for this kind of film, and act with minimalism, without any outbursts, in a fashion that fits perfectly the general aesthetics of the film. Song Yeong-chang is also quite good as Joon-il, who is actually the "villain" in the story.

photo758428.jpg

Overall, "An Affair" is an intelligent film that stands apart due to his general, subtle style.

Review by Panos Kotzathanasis

• 3 months later...

November 30, 2016

Reality show seeks to celebrate life through death

By Lee Haye-ah

SEOUL, Nov. 30 (Yonhap) -- What if you only had 48 hours to live? What would you do and who would you spend those last hours with?

On the new reality show "My Last 48 Hours," three celebrities in their 20s to 50s reveal what they would do. From eating their favorite food to tidying up their surroundings, the imaginary situation prompts them to reflect on their lives and examine their true selves.

"I'm an optimistic person, but I often wondered why the theme of death isn't dealt with (on TV)," Jun Sung-ho, the show's producer, said during a promotional press conference in western Seoul on Wednesday. "There are negative things about death, but I thought we should candidly talk about it."

This compilation of images, provided by CJ E&M, shows scenes from "My Last 48 Hours." (Yonhap)  

This compilation of images, provided by CJ E&M, shows scenes from "My Last 48 Hours." (Yonhap)

The show opens with an MC delivering a message of death to each of the cast members. Sung Si-kyung, a popular ballad singer and TV host, took on the role of the messenger, while actresses Lee Mi-sook and Park So-dam, and singer-entertainer Tak Jae-hoon lived out their "last" 48 hours on Earth.

"I always thought that acting was very difficult," said Lee, who at 56 is considered one of the leading actresses of her generation. "In this role, I could see myself very clearly. I couldn't make any calculations or think about how I would look to viewers. I thought, 'If this really happened to me, this is how I would act.' I was honest with myself."

In a teaser shown during the press conference, Lee often choked up and showed tears while watching a video of her old school through a pair of virtual reality (VR) goggles or holding her dogs on her lap.

"Rather than feeling regret, I feel a bit of sorrow," she said. "I feel like I still have a lot to do and a lot of attachment to life."

Tak, 48, said he initially turned down Jun's offer to appear on the show because the idea of dying seemed farfetched to him. After meeting with the producers, though, he came to accept the reality of death and decided to prepare himself, albeit temporarily.

"Actual filming took place over 48 hours. We got up early in the morning and our alarms would go off every two hours," the entertainer said. "At first, I was in denial and dismissed it as nothing serious. But after a day and half, I felt like I was self-hypnotized. I was slightly depressed before I got over it during our group dinner."

Jun expressed immense satisfaction with the cast, saying he never imagined them together and couldn't expect a better mix.

"I think they're brave people," he said. "They're all wonderful people. But I don't think it's just them. Everyone is a good person. My biggest focus was on helping people realize how good they are. I wanted our viewers to realize how precious they are. I think we all need that kind of comfort."

Viewers could also think about how to spend the rest of their lives and take hints from the cast members, he added.

"My Last 48 Hours" is scheduled to premiere on cable channel tvN at 11 p.m. Wednesday. It will air at the same time every Wednesday for a total of 12 episodes.

Tak Jae-hoon (L), Lee Mi-sook (C) and Sung Si-kyung pose for a photo during a press conference for "My Last 48 Hours" at a hotel in western Seoul on Nov. 30, 2016. (Yonhap)

Tak Jae-hoon (L), Lee Mi-sook (C) and Sung Si-kyung pose for a photo during a press conference for "My Last 48 Hours" at a hotel in western Seoul on Nov. 30, 2016. (Yonhap)

hague@yna.co.kr

• 2 months later...

Archived