Lee Mi Sook 이미숙

rubie

February 22, 2013
"The Best Yi Sunshin" IU & Jo Jeongseok's First Script-Reading Session
Photo Credit: A Story Written By: Jun Ji Young KBS Global
KBS 2TV's new weekend drama "The Best Yi Sunshin" is set to air its first episode on March 9th.
The cast got together for a script reading session. In the evening of February 4th at KBS in Yeouido, the cast of "The Best Yi Sunshin" gathered for a script read.
Present on this day were KBS drama department chief Lee Ganghyeon, writer Jeong Yoogyeong, IU, Jo Jeongseok, Yoo Inna, Go Joowon, Son Taeyoung, Go Dooshim, Lee Misook, Kim Youngcheol, director Yoon Seongshik and the rest of the staff members. Before the session began, chief Lee Ganghyeon told the cast and crew that this new drama is expected to continue the success of the previous two KBS weekend dramas.
He added that writer Jeong Yoogyeong knows how to tug at the heart strings of the viewers and that 2013 will be a great year for KBS weekend dramas.
He also told everyone to have fun working on the show and encouraged the cast and crew by saying he will do everything within his power to support the show. 1853_4930_l.jpg

Writer Jeong Yoogyeong said it felt unreal to be working with such a great cast.
She added that this is sure to be the most enjoyable project she was ever involved in, and that she will give it her very best.
Director Yoon Seongshik displayed his ability to be a leader that is both charismatic and caring. He made time to talk to each and everyone present.
He rallied the team on by saying that it will be a long journey, but that they will all work hard as a team.
The reading session, attended by everyone in the cast, started with a cheeful atmosphere.
Both the lead stars and role players displayed tremendous level of concentration as they got into character and made the scenes come to life. Singer IU(Plays Yi Sunshin) showed how she fit right into the role of the title character, showing tremendous progress as an actor. Jo Jeongseok(Shin Joonho) who plays an arrogant and ambitious management company head made an incredible transformation as he did what he does best.
And when the two performers played the scenes of their first encounter, they displayed amazing chemistry and provided incredible comic relief.
Son Taeyoung(Yi Haeshin), Yoo Inna(Yi Yooshin) and IU(Yi Sunshin) all put up convincing performances as sisters.
The show isn't all about young blood, there are veterans who anchor the story.
Go Dooshim(Kim Jeongae) demonstrates the power of a mother's love, while the charismatic Lee Misook proved to be the perfect fit for her character Song Miryeong.
The veterans and young stars worked together harmoniously.
It was a beautiful showcase of how youth and experience can create amazing synergy. Those who were present at the reading session all said that the performers brought all the emotions written on the script to life.
The actors were able to switch from comical to emotional at the flip of a page.
All in all, it provided a glimpse of how amazing this new drama will be.
 "The Best Yi Sunshin" is directed by producer Yoon Seongshik who made hits like KBS TV drama "The Story of a Man" and "Gaksital"(Bridal Mask) and is written by Jeong Yoogyeong who created "Pretty Insoon" and "Marry Me, Please."
This collaboration is sure to create an entertaining and touching drama that will sweep weekend drama viewers off their feet.
Episode 1 of KBS 2TV's weekend drama "The Best Yi Sunshin" airs on March 9th, 2013.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

March 8, 2013
Lee Mi-sook drops suit against press
By Lee Sun-min Korea JoongAng Daily

08220708.jpg

Lee Mi-sook, a veteran actress who has been embroiled in a boy-toy scandal, decided to drop the charges she filed against two journalists. 
Lee filed a suit for 10 billion won ($9.2 million) in January of last year against those who quoted officials saying that Lee had an “inappropriate relationship” with a male host 17 years her junior. 
She has not made any official statement on why she is dropping the suit. 
She previously appealed twice to the Seoul Central District Court after the court ruled in favor of the defendants. 
In its first ruling, the court said there was no evidence to prove the reporter’s allegation. 
Meanwhile, Lee also lost an appeals trial in which her former agency filed a damage suit against her for breaching her contract. 
The Seoul High Court ruled last month that Lee must pay 120 million won to her former agency The Contents Media. The agency originally ask for a total of 200 million won in damages.

• 1 month later...

April 11, 2013
Lee Mi-sook and Lee Young-ae sued for defamation
Source: DongA.com via Hancinema.net
54376792.4.jpg

Actress Lee Mi-sook and Lee Young-ae have both been sued.
Lee Mi-sook's former agency director 'A' sued Lee for defamation earlier this month. 'A' claimed that Lee brought out the Jang Ja-yeon's case to cover up her breach of contract. 'A' also sued her for slandering his publication and rights when she claimed last year that her agency had brought down her reputation.
Lee Young-ae was sued by a Kimchi manufacturing company which claimed that Lee Young-ae defamed the name of the company by claiming that she had given them no right to use her pictures and copyright for their products. Lee Young-ae had brought this problem up in 2011.
Lee Young-ae's agency claims, "This issue was a fraud by a third person and has nothing to do with Lee Young-ae".

• 1 month later...

May 19, 2013
Uhm sinks teeth into newest role‘I think passionate people always inspire other people.’
By Lee Eun-sun Korea JoongAng Daily

19215211.jpg
Uhm Jung-hwa. By Kim Seong-ryong
Uhm Jung-hwa is a Korean iconic diva and a rare actress who successfully juggles singing and acting careers. Last year, she turned the movie “Dancing Queen” into a box office hit. Her dancing skills and inherent happy nature contributed to its success. But above all, she shines most when portraying heart-wrenching emotions, just like in her newest movie, “Montage,” which opened Thursday.
In the thriller, Uhm plays the mother of a kidnapped daughter. The mother lives in sorrow for 15 years as she fails to find any clue about the crime until she hears of traces of the suspect just five days before the expiration of the statute of limitations. Viewers are expected to be caught by her heartfelt portrayal of maternal instincts, as well as the plot’s twists and turns. In her 2005 movie, “Princess Aurora,” Uhm also played the role of a mother whose child was abducted.
Q. I could not help associating you and your co-worker, Kim Sang-kyung, with the previous roles while watching the movie. Kim Sang-kyung’s performance reminds me of his similar role as a detective in the 2003 movie, “Memories of Murder.” 
A. I know, but I think we used it to our advantage. Thanks to the same role, I let out my bottled-up emotions that I could not in my last movie, “Princess Aurora.” Kim also felt the same way. He said he felt as if he finally captured the suspect. 
But still, you didn’t make many changes in your acting career this time.
I think you can expect different outcomes even from the same material with different directors and storylines. And someday, I want to immerse myself in a character and play it just the way a director wants, deleting myself. And there are lots of roles that I haven’t tried yet. If I get the chance, I want to portray a woman in utter love, which I haven’t experienced in a movie or real life.
Your movie, “Dancing Queen,” did well at the box office last year. How did it affect you?
I got some zing back in my life. Actually, I suffered pain after having surgery on my thyroid while working on the film, “Mama” (2011), so I couldn’t fully enjoy acting. And when I felt empty, lost and even self-compassion, I took a role in the movie “Dancing Queen.” It helped me get refreshed and confident so that I can return to the stage as a singer whenever I want. 
You already turned 40-something, now you may have more people in the same industry who admire you. 
I think passionate people always inspire other people. Recently I was deeply impressed by singer Cho Yong-pil. And I also admire actress Lee Mi-sook. I heard in my 20s that there would be no roles for me to play when I became older. But Lee portrayed a lead role who falls in torrid love in the film, “An Affair” (1998). And she is still beautiful and sexy in small or big screens continuously. It really motivates me
How do you want to be remembered as an actress?
I want to be like actress Meryl Streep. I hope to have a chance to express such inner grace as she has with age in a future movie. While working on “Montage,” I thought my role as a mom was what I can do only because I got old enough to understand and inhabit the character. I’m excited to find what I can further express as I get older.

• 4 weeks later...

June 14, 2013
Kdrama Actresses Still Scoring Great Roles In Their 40s And 50s
by Joan MacDonald KDramaStars.com

Turning 40 and even 50 no longer means retirement or only mom roles for glamorous kdrama actresses.
In decades past, actresses often retired when they married or aged out of leading lady roles, but some of kdrama's most beautiful older actresses are changing all that.
Several kdrama actresses over 40 continue to score great roles. A few do play moms or wicked prospective mother-in-laws, but others also take leading roles as wives and love interests.
There's no rule that says women always look better in their 20s than they do in their 40s. For example, many would say that Kim Sung Ryung is even more attractive now than she was when she began acting. The 46-year-old actress was just cast in the upcoming drama, "The Heirs" with Lee Min Ho and Park Shin Hye. The actress works consistently, having recently appeared as Baek Do In Kyung "Yawang," Seo Ji Soo in "The Chaser," Oh Eun Hee in "Syndrome" and Ji Na's mom in "Padam Padam: The Sound Of His and Her Heartbeats." She won a KBS Excellence in Acting award for her role in "The Chaser."
20130609_1370778454_38432200_1.jpg

Lee Mi Sook, 53, was a top actress in the 80s. She appeared in several films, most notably "Whale Hunting," "The Winter That Was Warm," and "Wanderer in Winter." She retired from acting in 1987 when she married but returned a decade later in the film, "An Affair." She played a good mom in "Love Rain" and a bad mom in "Cinderella's Sister" but she also did a gorgeous fashion spread in Elle Korea in 2010, playing the older woman having an affair with BigBang's TOP. She is currently playing glamorous actress Song Mi Ryung in "You're The Best Lee Soon Shin."
Kim Hye Soo, 43, recently starred in "God of the Workplace" as super-temp Miss Kim. She will appear in a film this year, titled "The Face Reader." Kim has acted since she was a high school student and her career shows no sign of slowing down. She became known as a femme fatale for her roles in "Hypnotized," "The Red Shoes" and Tazza" and she is just as glamorous today as she was then. Her dramatic red carpet looks continue to contribute to her sultry movie star appeal.
Kim Nam Joo, 42, appeared as Cha Hoon Yee, a working woman with annoying in-laws in last year's weekend drama hit "My Husband Got A Family." The drama earned ratings over 50 percent and its popularity was attributed to the to the relatable family problems it realistically portrayed. Kim, who has won several best actress, couple and style awards, looks amazing.
Hopefully, these talented actresses have many more drama roles in their futures.

Of course, each of the women mentioned in the article above remain incredibly beautiful and (thank god) the powers that be are wise enough to realize that their talents are essential to the success of these dramatic productions. In the cases of rare beauties like Kim Hye-soo,  Kim Sung Ryung and Lee Mi-sook (and many others including: Jeon In-hwa, Do Ji-won, Kyeon Mi-ri...) age remains no barrier in one being able to recognize the fact that, when their faces appear on screen, there is a tendency to forget completely about the lovely young actresses sharing the camera's focus. I don't know if they're improving with age, but they sure as heck aren't aging like the average person...
=D>

• 1 month later...

July 22, 2013
Ten actresses to become special muses for top makeup artists in Korea
BNT News
vk86l9orhuf1989togb7mxzy9v78f6l1.jpg
[by Cho Suyoun] Magazine Allure Korea unveiled part of its pictorials that were taken to celebrate its 10 year anniversary.
Beauty & lifestyle magazine Allure Korea has released some of its new pictorials from its supplement book . The heroines of the pictorials are ten actresses who put on unusual makeup that were done by Korea’s leading makeup artists.
The actresses who participated in this project were all widely known women. The first was Bae Doo na, who is currently working with world film directors Wachowski brothers in the United States. She worked with makeup artist Ko Won hye and they recreated Korea’s traditional beauty through pictorials. Actress Lee yo won, who is appearing in a new series, worked with famous makeup artist Cho Sung ah. Cho turned Lee Yo won into a Gothic funk girl with all-black makeup. 
Kim Jung eun also participated in the project with makeup artist Kim Chung gyeong. They recreated Hollywood actress back in 1950s and appealed classic beauty. Other than these three actresses, seven more participated in the project and the heroines include actresses Oh Yeon soo, Park Joo mi, Son Tae young, Lee Som, Lee Mi sook, Song Ji hyo and newlywed actress Kim Hyo jin.
All of them each appealed unique charms that matched the concept and the actresses looked so different in the pictorials that it was difficult to match their recent roles in series or films. As the leading makeup artists had also participated in the project, it was finished with high quality and turned into a small art book.
All the pictorials can be found in the supplement book and that will be included in August edition of magazine Allure Korea. (photo by Allure Korea)

July 25, 2013
Lee Mi Sook is Ordered to Pay Her Former Agency 120 Million Won
CJ E&M enewsWorld Kim, JiYeon  Translation Credit : Erika Kim

Lee Mi Sook lost a lawsuit against her agency, and she will have to pay a substantial amount of money as a result.
On July 25, the Supreme Court ruled in the case The Contents Entertainment filed against Lee Mi Sook that the actress will have to pay her former agency 120 million won.
The Contents Entertainment originally demanded 200 million won, claiming that it had signed a four-year contract with Lee Mi Sook in January 2006 but that she moved to another agency in January 2009, a date before the settled expiration of their contract.
Judges had ruled in the first trial that Lee Mi Sook will have to pay the agency 20 million won, but The Contents Entertainment again lodged an appeal, demanding 300 million won this time.
Judges were brought to reconsider cancellation charges and costs for damages, settling at 120 million won.

July 25, 2013
Court: Lee must pay agency

The Supreme Court of Korea ordered actress Lee Mi-sook of the KBS drama “You’re the Best, Lee Soon Shin” to pay 120 million won ($107,512) to her former management agency yesterday. 
The Contents Media sued Lee, claiming that she breached her four-year contract that she signed in January 2006 by moving to another agency without any consent in January 2009. The Contents Media sought 200 million won in compensation.
The ruling settled Lee’s dispute with the agency. While the lawsuit was ongoing, the actress and the agency were also in hot water over Lee’s previous romantic involvement with a man 17 years her junior when the agency revealed the story. It was presumed that the agency paid a large amount of compensation to a young man to keep him quiet about the secret affair. 

July 26, 2013
Lee Mi Sook Must Pay But Not What Her Agency Demands
by Joan MacDonald KDramaStars

Actress Lee Mi Sook felt she did not owe her former management agency anything but the courts disagreed.
On July 25, the Seoul High Court ruled that the star of the KBS drama "You're The Best Lee Soon Shin" must pay her former management agency around $110,000 for breaching a four-year contract that she signed in 2006 and ended in 2009. This decision ended several years of legal wrangling between the actress and her agency, which involved lawsuits, counter-suits and appeals.
Her former agency, Contents Entertainment, was not happy with this week's ruling because they claim that she owes them twice that amount.\ "Lee Mi Sook violated her exclusive contract with us and signed another exclusive contract with Hoya Spotainment," said the CEO of Contents Entertainment. "As a result, she must pay Contents Entertainment 20 percent of the profit after in her remaining contract with the company, which is 300 million Korean won (almost $300,00)."
The judge recognized that the actress violated her contract but did not agree with the agency's calculations, which he considered excessive.
"I recognize that Lee Mi Sook violated her exclusive contract but, I cannot help but assume that the money the defendant claims to have spent on the plaintiff has been inflated," said the judge. "As a result, I dismissed the allegation regarding monetary compensation."
The agency claims to have spent money on a scandal that involved the actress and a man 17 years her junior. The scandal was hushed up to prevent her image from being ruined.
"If news about this spread back then, she would have had to quit being an actress," said a representative of her agency. "This man knew that and used this information to blackmail and even threaten Lee Mi Sook. We ended up settling this matter by giving him millions of won."
Rumors began to spread that the actress had an affair with the younger man while she was still married and that the relationship prompted her divorce from her plastic surgeon husband. The actress counter-sued her agency for defamation and sued a newspaper reporter for spreading such unfounded rumors.
The rumors did not seem to hurt Lee Mi Sook's career as she still snags good roles. The actress has appeared in dozens of films and dramas, including "Love Rain," "A Thousand Days Promise," Cinderella's Sister" and "East of Eden." She won a Top Excellence Award for her acting in "East of Eden."

• 2 weeks later...

August 6, 2013
Lee Mi Sook Signs Exclusive Contract with Sidus HQ
CJ E&M enewsWorld Jeon Su Mi  Translation Credit : Erika Kim

Lee Mi Sook found a new agency to settle her roots in.
The actress recently signed a new contract with Sidus HQ.
A rep from Sidus HQ said on August 6, "We′ll show our full support for Lee Mi Sook, who is known for her many transformations in drama and film, so that she can again shine in her full colors as an actress. She plans to return to her audience in even more activities with this exclusive contract."
Lee Mi Sook entered TBC as its actress in 1978, and in the same year became known as Miss Lotte. She was part of a troika of actresses in the 1980s along with Won Mi Kyung and Lee Bo Hee.
She′s still been fairly active, appearing in Cinderella′s Sister, A Thousand Days′ Promise and KBS2′s You′re the Best Lee Soon Shin.
She′s also known for her influential styles, as well as her bold personality and wit.
The actress was recently hit with trouble when she lost her lawsuit with her former agency.

August 9, 2013
Lee Mi-sook off to new start with Sidus HQ
By Im Woo-jung, Intern reporter The Korea Herald

20130806001201_0.jpg

Actress Lee Mi-sook has signed a contract with a new entertainment agency, Sidus HQ entertainment.
“We will give unconditional support for Lee to continue her work,” said the agency on Tuesday. “We are looking forward to Lee’s active work with us in more various fields.” 
Lee, along with actresses Lee Bo-hee and Won Mi-kyung, gained popularity in the 1980s. She played numerous roles in TV dramas as well as movies including “Cinderella‘s Sister,” “Untold Scandal” and “Actresses.”
“Lee is an actress admired by many young women, for her beauty and charisma regardless of her age,” Sidus HQ said. 
Lee recently was sued by her former agency, Contents Media, for alleged breach of contract. A court ordered her to pay more than 100 million won ($89,000) in compensation.
Lee is currently playing a role in TV drama series “You’re the Best, Lee Soon-shin.” 

• 1 month later...

September 27, 2013
Korea’s favorite mid-age actress Lee Mi sook fascinates fans with alluring pictorials
BNTNews
9fps7kkcv20u68rgnqgwj7c0njviksdi.jpg
[by Cho Suyoun] Actress Lee Mi sook recently met up with fashion magazine Marie Claire and shot fashion pictorials.
Beautiful and sensual mid-age actress Lee Mi sook shot charming pictorials with fashion magazine Marie Claire for October issue. This shooting was taken as collaboration with Germany’s luxury fashion house ESCADA and through Lee Mi sook, the brand suggested this fall’s fashion trend.
As the actress of 53-years-old showed off tighter and more beautiful body line than actresses at age in 30s, Lee Mi sook completely captured eyes of readers. As can be seen in the photo, Lee dressed up in dress made with highest quality, elegant silhouette and luxurious colors. As if she came out from a classic film, Lee showed professional poses and facial expressions.  For more trendy and classic fall/winter fashion trend, check Marie Claire’s October issue that featured actress Lee Mi sook. (photo by Marie Claire)

• 2 weeks later...

October 7, 2013
‘Snowpiercer’ director reveals actor wish list at BIFF

ch_1381141082_-141027627_0.jpg

Bong Joon-ho, director of “Snowpiercer,” said he wants to work with actress Lee Mi-sook of the KBS drama “You’re the Best Lee Soon-shin” and Jack Nicholson of “The Departed” during a press conference held at the Busan International Film Festival yesterday. 
“There are so many actors and actresses I want to work with, but I’m worried that I won’t be able to work with all of them because I’m very slow in filming,” the director said.
He also said that he wants to continue working with actor Song Kang-ho, although he has already filmed three films with the actor so far, including “Snowpiercer.”
The movie, which garnered 9.3 million admissions in Korea, will be released in France this month, while fans in other Asian countries, including Taiwan, will be able to watch the film next month. 
Fans in Japan will have to wait until February. 

• 2 months later...

December 13, 2013
Viewers seek ban of actress

A group of viewers has requested that local broadcaster MBC ban actress Lee Mi-sook from appearing on TV.
About 10 people who claim to represent many others visited Seoul Southern District Court on Thursday and filed the request.
The move came after Lee was excluded from the list of celebrities the broadcaster will not have on its programs because they have been embroiled in activities that society deems inappropriate, such as illegal gambling. MBC recently banned comedian Kim Yong-man from its programs after he was found guilty of illegal gambling. 
Actress Park Si-yeon and other actresses, have also been banned because they were recently found guilty of abusing propofol.
The citizens allege that MBC is assisting Lee so that she can continue to be featured on events such as year-end award ceremonies.
They argued that Lee had a previous romantic involvement with a man 17 years her junior, and she has been embroiled in a recent prosecutors’ investigation because she had problems with her former agency regarding her management contract.
“Our rights have been infringed,” the viewers alleged, saying that they want their right not to see certain people on TV protected.
“If celebrities that made socially acknowledged mishaps continue to come on TV, it can have a seriously bad influence on young viewers as they will have less of a sense of following the law.”
Lee is scheduled to take part in two dramas on MBC, including the daily drama “Shining Romance.”

December 13, 2013
Actress Lee Mi-sook mired in dispute
By Im Woo-jung, Intern reporter The Korea Herald

South Korean actress Lee Mi-sook found herself in hot water as some viewers have taken steps to have her kicked off of TV.
MBC, a major broadcaster, recently released a list of actors and actresses who will be blocked from appearing on its programs in connection with wrongdoings or related disputes. 
About 10 viewers claimed that Lee should be included on the list and filed an application for an injunction against MBC at the Seoul Southern District Court on Thursday.
They argued that Lee should receive punitive measures for the scandals, including a relationship with a man 17 years her junior. 
MBC said on Friday there is no ground to ban Lee from appearing on its programs and that it is waiting for the court’s decision, 
The 53-year-old actress has played many roles in TV dramas and starred in movies including “Cinderella‘s Sister,” “Untold Scandal” and “Actresses.”
Lee has been recruited for the MBC drama “Miss Korea,” which will be aired starting from Wednesday.

December 19, 2013
Lee Mi-sook and Joo Sang-wook to host drama awards show
By Summer Lee Korea JoongAng Daily

20139191387419468.jpg

Broadcaster KBS has announced that actress Lee Mi-sook and actor Joo Sang-wook will host its drama awards show this year.
Lee of the KBS drama “You’re the Best, Lee Soon-shin” and Joo of the MBC drama “Medical Top Team” will team up to host the awards ceremony, which will air live on New Year’s Eve. 
Many industry officials are waiting to see how the two hosts will work together.
The ceremony will start at 8:30 p.m. and will last until after midnight so that drama fans watching the program can celebrate the start of the New Year with their favorite celebrities at the awards show.

December 20, 2013
Lee Mi Sook, Shin Hyeon Jun, Joo Sang Wook and SNSD’s Yoona to MC ‘2013 KBS Drama Awards’
CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee Min Ji  Translation Credit : Yeawon Jung

The four MCs have been chosen for this year’s KBS Drama Awards. 
According to KBS, the four MCs, Lee Mi Sook, Shin Hyeon Jun, Joo Sang Wook and Girls’ Generation (SNSD)’s Yoona, will be representing those in their twenties to the fifties to lead the show suited for the audience in various age groups. 
54066002.jpg

Shin Hyun Joon has experience hosting KBS 2TV’s Entertainment Weekly and various award ceremonies in the past, and also presented an award with Yoona in last year’s KBS Drama Awards. 
Yoona also acted with Lee Mi Sook as mother and daughter in KBS’s Love Rain.
The 2013 KBS Drama Awards will be broadcasted live on December 31.
Photo credit: Newsen

Archived