University Of Waterloo

Guest Subways

Guest everlastingxx3

if by chinese course you mean mandarin then all that is necessary is you fill out this form and then you'll be called in for an interview with one of the mandarin profs so that he/she can check what level you should take because a lot of people who actually know the language have like chosen to take the lower levels so that they could get really high marks

hope that helps~~

Im canto but I want to learn more mandarin since my mandarin is limited. lol. Yea I looked at the form and there were a couple questions where you have to write the answer in chinese. What if you don't know how to write the word? Do you just guess? lol o_o I thought it would be a competitive process to get in the course...haah

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ariesbaybee

Im canto but I want to learn more mandarin since my mandarin is limited. lol. Yea I looked at the form and there were a couple questions where you have to write the answer in chinese. What if you don't know how to write the word? Do you just guess? lol o_o I thought it would be a competitive process to get in the course...haah

well if you really don't know how to write then just leave it blank i assume because no point in like getting someone to translate...try to fill it in and make them assume you know it and put you in a higher level

and naw its not a competitive process at all...anyone can the course as long as they have been through the level placement process

Guest o1honey

how hard is it to get into a chinese course?

depends which class your trying to get into.

I got into the 120R class, it's basically 101 + 102 combined.

If you are a complete CBC the prof might let you take China101r... however she usually puts you in the 120R class since you know canto. Your ability to write Chinese doesn't really matter since your going to learn simplified anyways.. Even though my Cantonese is fluent and i've went to Chinese school for 11 years.... I am terrible at writing so i filled out as much as a can (before 120R i didn't know a single simplified character.. so that made me write less =P) (she gave me a funny look hahaha since my form was only 1/2 filled... she expected i knew how to write more.)

The prof even said herself that China101r is for non-asian and ultra whitewashed Asians xD.. for China101 and China 120 they basically learned a new chapter every 2 weeks (imagine learning "ni hao" for 2 weeks =.=) where as the China120 class learns a new chapter every week (we all use the same textbook.. except china101 covers the first 1/2, china102 covers the last1/2.. and china 120 covers it all in one go xD)

There are a lot of HK kids taking the 120R class.. and think about their fluency to Mandarin.. if they can get in.. i'm sure you can get in.

The only way you won't get into the easy level courses is if you are from China and already know how to speak mandarin.. in this case.. the prof might put you into China301 or higher : )

hope this helps!

Guest everlastingxx3

<!--quoteo(post=16031859:date=Jun 9 2010, 12:37 AM:name=everlastingxx3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (everlastingxx3 @ Jun 9 2010, 12:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=16031859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Im canto but I want to learn more mandarin since my mandarin is limited. lol. Yea I looked at the form and there were a couple questions where you have to write the answer in chinese. What if you don't know how to write the word? Do you just guess? lol o_o I thought it would be a competitive process to get in the course...haah<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well if you really don't know how to write then just leave it blank i assume because no point in like getting someone to translate...try to fill it in and make them assume you know it and put you in a higher level

and naw its not a competitive process at all...anyone can the course as long as they have been through the level placement process

depends which class your trying to get into.

I got into the 120R class, it's basically 101 + 102 combined.

If you are a complete CBC the prof might let you take China101r... however she usually puts you in the 120R class since you know canto. Your ability to write Chinese doesn't really matter since your going to learn simplified anyways.. Even though my Cantonese is fluent and i've went to Chinese school for 11 years.... I am terrible at writing so i filled out as much as a can (before 120R i didn't know a single simplified character.. so that made me write less =P) (she gave me a funny look hahaha since my form was only 1/2 filled... she expected i knew how to write more.)

The prof even said herself that China101r is for non-asian and ultra whitewashed Asians xD.. for China101 and China 120 they basically learned a new chapter every 2 weeks (imagine learning "ni hao" for 2 weeks =.=) where as the China120 class learns a new chapter every week (we all use the same textbook.. except china101 covers the first 1/2, china102 covers the last1/2.. and china 120 covers it all in one go xD)

There are a lot of HK kids taking the 120R class.. and think about their fluency to Mandarin.. if they can get in.. i'm sure you can get in.

The only way you won't get into the easy level courses is if you are from China and already know how to speak mandarin.. in this case.. the prof might put you into China301 or higher : )

hope this helps!

Thanks for your feedback guys! :D

Guest moonyah

:S!!!

osap applications are due today

i finished but i didn't send in my signatures

and can't until tomorrow morning

does that mean i won't get it?! :S.

:S!!!

osap applications are due today

i finished but i didn't send in my signatures

and can't until tomorrow morning

does that mean i won't get it?! :S.

I didn't mail my signatures yet either D:

There are some ppl saying that June 15 isn't the deadline @___@ and on the Waterloo SAFA page, it says June 15 is the 'Recommended submission date for 2010/2011 OSAP Application for the Fall term'. Does that mean there is a final deadline?

Guest everlastingxx3

I didn't mail my signatures yet either D:

There are some ppl saying that June 15 isn't the deadline @___@ and on the Waterloo SAFA page, it says June 15 is the 'Recommended submission date for 2010/2011 OSAP Application for the Fall term'. Does that mean there is a final deadline?

I called the Financial Aid office and they told me that I have to complete the online application by the 15th. For the declaration+signature forms, I just have to mail it in asap. So we're safe. ;)

What electives did you guys take in first year? Interesting courses, bird courses..? :D

(:

On the form for the CHINA language course, there's a spot for your UWaterloo email O___O how do we get our email addresses?

NVM

• 2 weeks later...
Guest everlastingxx3

I don't know how or why they placed me in a SECOND year chinese course...O_O

my chinese is not good at all! X_X

Is it too late to fax the Chinese course form?

>< Need to do an interview for the Chinese language elective

Anyone have Mindy Wolfe for AFM101, Robert Sproule for ECON101, or Colin Macleod for PSYCH101 before? Reviews, comments?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest moonyah

Is it too late to fax the Chinese course form?

>< Need to do an interview for the Chinese language elective

Anyone have Mindy Wolfe for AFM101, Robert Sproule for ECON101, or Colin Macleod for PSYCH101 before? Reviews, comments?

wow! i'm in all those courses too

i was wondering are we able to swap our classes ?

like into another time schedule and what not?

i'm pre-enrolled int he afm courses

Guest ariesbaybee

wow! i'm in all those courses too

i was wondering are we able to swap our classes ?

like into another time schedule and what not?

i'm pre-enrolled int he afm courses

yea you'll be able to swap your times during the actual enrollment period...check your quest account to see when your enrollment time is and just pray you have an earlier time than others and be ready for major lagging on the website when everyone else is fighting to swap times as well

Guest moonyah

yea you'll be able to swap your times during the actual enrollment period...check your quest account to see when your enrollment time is and just pray you have an earlier time than others and be ready for major lagging on the website when everyone else is fighting to swap times as well

thanks omg !!

i'm trying to figure out all the times and stuff

mine is really clean but i want to shift my times around so i can fit korean in

man this is difficult i hope i get into the swaps and stuff !

Guest ariesbaybee

thanks omg !!

i'm trying to figure out all the times and stuff

mine is really clean but i want to shift my times around so i can fit korean in

man this is difficult i hope i get into the swaps and stuff !

ooo...korean is soo much fun

there's only 1 prof that teaches it..professor kim and i love him to death

im actually taking 201 next term and he honestly makes the course really fun and easy to understand especially with his random stories

Guest Georgianna

Are we allowed to swap classes? I want to change my morning psych class with Macleod to the evening psych class with Ennis =/ but all AFM students have Macleod..

Yup! You definitely can change it. I did the same thing last year and didn't regret it. Ennis is an awesome speaker. Make sure to take good notes though because that's what his exams are based on. One thing that differs between the two classes is that Macleod has 3 non-cumulative exams whereas Ennis has 2 exams, lectures are cumulative but textbook isn't. Also, I don't know if it happens every year but Macleod bell curved the first exam, Ennis will not sympathize with you, no bell curves whatsoever, he does have 1-2 bonus/freebie questions on the final though. You also have 4% that comes from being lab rats for grad students and an extra 2% bonus that is also earned through those experiments, 0.5% per half hour.

Guest moonyah

for chinese . . if we appleid to be enrolled..when do we get called for the interview? and where do we fill out the form?:S

Guest moonyah

hey.

i was wondering

how do i swap my class times?

is it component swap on quest?

cause i tried it and it said i don't have appointment times

i'm so confused!:S

Archived