University Of Waterloo

Guest Subways

Guest everlastingxx3

hi everyone!

Does anyone know about the psychology program at waterloo? It says its one of teh biggest faculties in Canada...Is it good?? Waterloo is going to be one of my choices. I think.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi everyone!

Does anyone know about the psychology program at waterloo? It says its one of teh biggest faculties in Canada...Is it good?? Waterloo is going to be one of my choices. I think.

Depends what kinda psych you want. Science or arts? I believe McMaster is quite popular for Science psychology and York is for the arts one. McGill is also good for psychology because of a particular prof they have.

Guest everlastingxx3

Depends what kinda psych you want. Science or arts? I believe McMaster is quite popular for Science psychology and York is for the arts one. McGill is also good for psychology because of a particular prof they have.

I want to go into arts psychology.

Is waterloo good?

I don't know which university has the best psychology program. T_T

Guest insertnameHERE.

hi I'm in AFM.

come here if you have lots and lots of money.

I don't, and I'm regretting my decision of coming here.

sorry for seeing this extremely late .

but why ?

is it not worth the money you pay ?

sorry for seeing this extremely late .

but why ?

is it not worth the money you pay ?

I'm in AFM too,

Consider this:

1st year, you pay tutiton + books + residence fee PER term

2nd year tutition (x2) + books + residence [PER term]+ co-op fee for some reason, probably due to co-op and the fact that students now get some sort of income, it gives waterloo an excuse to double your tuition PER Term

it is a lot of money, especially when residence and stuff is an extra fee you would pay since most people don't have a permant place to stay here, thus they rent (off or on campus)

I personally don't find the tuition that bad, i'm not rich or anything i'm simply comparing to Rotman commerce because your tuition goes from $5000/yr in first term to $10000+ in 2nd term.. for some odd reason. And those were my two choices back then.

I'm just started frosh, but i personally feel that going to university has a cost that's inevitable =\ With any major, there's a price to pay for that little sheet of graduation paper xD

But, if paying a bit more [ok not a bit, more like a lot ahaha] gives 16 months (am i correct) of work experience, networking, a source of income during your uni years, i think it's worth it. It's really up to you, all universities are good in their own way, just that in this case, UW has a specialized accounting program.

anyways..random note, but for psychology, i don't major in it, but i have to take psych101... it's sooo much information. Gahhhh, can't take it.. and i fall asleep in class :( Love the content, hate the studying and 8:30 lectures T_T

I'm in AFM too,

Consider this:

1st year, you pay tutiton + books + residence fee PER term

2nd year tutition (x2) + books + residence [PER term]+ co-op fee for some reason, probably due to co-op and the fact that students now get some sort of income, it gives waterloo an excuse to double your tuition PER Term

it is a lot of money, especially when residence and stuff is an extra fee you would pay since most people don't have a permant place to stay here, thus they rent (off or on campus)

I personally don't find the tuition that bad, i'm not rich or anything i'm simply comparing to Rotman commerce because your tuition goes from $5000/yr in first term to $10000+ in 2nd term.. for some odd reason. And those were my two choices back then.

I'm just started frosh, but i personally feel that going to university has a cost that's inevitable =\ With any major, there's a price to pay for that little sheet of graduation paper xD

But, if paying a bit more [ok not a bit, more like a lot ahaha] gives 16 months (am i correct) of work experience, networking, a source of income during your uni years, i think it's worth it. It's really up to you, all universities are good in their own way, just that in this case, UW has a specialized accounting program.

anyways..random note, but for psychology, i don't major in it, but i have to take psych101... it's sooo much information. Gahhhh, can't take it.. and i fall asleep in class :( Love the content, hate the studying and 8:30 lectures T_T

If you can get OSAP I think its fine as far as tuition goes. You'll have to pay it back eventually but OSAP's system helps a lot. An education is probably the best investment you'll ever make in your life time and getting the one you want is very important. You can lose anything in life but the one thing you can't is your education. And if you're going to spend 4 years might as well spend it at the place you want. You are living these 4 years so you should be a place you like, with the people you like and learning the thing you like. These 4 years are the best years of your life you shouldn't put any limitations on that. Just my opinion, differs from person to person though.

Yeah you probably have Ennis right? Haha yeah its quite draining since he is a great speaker and doesn't use any notes so you have to focus for 3 hours which is demanding. And the content is a lot too just because its an intro. It gets better once you get to the 200 level courses because they're more focus and you learn more about what you want instead of little bits of everything.

I want to go into arts psychology.

Is waterloo good?

I don't know which university has the best psychology program. T_T

I don't believe Waterloo is known for their pscyhology program sorry. I don't really have much knowledge of that I guess you can do some research on the internet but best bet is with your guidance counsulors.

If you can get OSAP I think its fine as far as tuition goes. You'll have to pay it back eventually but OSAP's system helps a lot. An education is probably the best investment you'll ever make in your life time and getting the one you want is very important. You can lose anything in life but the one thing you can't is your education. And if you're going to spend 4 years might as well spend it at the place you want. You are living these 4 years so you should be a place you like, with the people you like and learning the thing you like. These 4 years are the best years of your life you shouldn't put any limitations on that. Just my opinion, differs from person to person though.

Yeah you probably have Ennis right? Haha yeah its quite draining since he is a great speaker and doesn't use any notes so you have to focus for 3 hours which is demanding. And the content is a lot too just because its an intro. It gets better once you get to the 200 level courses because they're more focus and you learn more about what you want instead of little bits of everything.

I don't believe Waterloo is known for their pscyhology program sorry. I don't really have much knowledge of that I guess you can do some research on the internet but best bet is with your guidance counsulors.

blahh.. sadly i couldn't get OSAP this year. Hopefully i can get it next year T_T

I believe what you said as well, why waste 4 great years on a place, or program you don't like =\

and i don't have Ennis for psych.. I have Macloed, it's sad that my classes are less than 1.5 hours for 2 days.. but his class seems very dull and uninteresting to me =\ I heard good things of Ennis thoughh.. maybe should of switched >.<

Guest Georgianna

blahh.. sadly i couldn't get OSAP this year. Hopefully i can get it next year T_T

I believe what you said as well, why waste 4 great years on a place, or program you don't like =\

and i don't have Ennis for psych.. I have Macloed, it's sad that my classes are less than 1.5 hours for 2 days.. but his class seems very dull and uninteresting to me =\ I heard good things of Ennis thoughh.. maybe should of switched >.<

I have Ennis! He's a great lecturer, I'm biased since I wouldn't be able to get to the 8:30 class but I really think he's worth it even though it's at night. It definitely is a bit draining to have to listen intensely the whole time while taking notes but he's fun to listen to. I'm happy I switched!^^

Guest 1n_c0mplete

your OSAP allotment goes down by A LOT once you start co-op. my friend didnt end up getting anything from osap. he was actually given $0 lol.

Guest Pomegranate

I have a question about electives,

my cousins both tried to get into the chinese language class but neither of them succeeded =\ one of them said something about those with prerequisites get chosen first...i'm in in uni yet, but i'm applying soon and I'm wondering how I can get in...=\ (sorry for the run-on sentence xD).

Guest kjrxie

I just started my first Chinese course, 301. You have to fill out a form that basically tells them how much Chinese you know. And then you do an interview with the coordinator and she assesses your Chinese. My interview was pretty short and I think she overestimated my Chinese skills because I'm kinda struggling in the class right now lol

Are you Chinese? If you are, then you probably won't get placed in the first year courses. There was one person in my class who can't write Chinese at all but he can speak fluently.

Guest faithpuppy

Well the Chinese classes are mandarin class. If you speak mandarin then you can't be put in the chinese classes, but if you speak a Chinese dialect [like Cantonese] then you'll be put into the Advanced first year course.

I did the assessment form, but I never got an interview from her.

hello ppl.

I am in System Design Engineering (no one heard of it... yes...)

on the coming.... winter term probably... I'll be 2A

Nice to meet you all...

Joined CSA but been pretty inactive and also there's no event after the singing contest -.-"

My experience: Waterloo = mostly mandos (Chinese) and koreans. So I am visible minority (canto)

Anyone know what i have to do to take Japanese course? Any pre-requisite or things I got to do?

Thanks

Guest faithpuppy

^ I'm assuming you're taking JAPAN 101R? If you are, then no there are no requirements except to be really quick at applying to the class because it gets filled up fast.

Guest o1honey

hello ppl.

I am in System Design Engineering (no one heard of it... yes...)

on the coming.... winter term probably... I'll be 2A

Nice to meet you all...

Joined CSA but been pretty inactive and also there's no event after the singing contest -.-"

My experience: Waterloo = mostly mandos (Chinese) and koreans. So I am visible minority (canto)

Anyone know what i have to do to take Japanese course? Any pre-requisite or things I got to do?

Thanks

For JAPAN 101, you don't need any pre-requisites at all. I'm currently taking it, and i didn't know how to speak a word of Japanese.

It starts out pretty simple as everything in the book is written in English and Romaji. But as the course progresses, romaji is replaced by Hiragana.

It's been about 4 weeks, and now i'm able to write speak some basic phrases and write Basic Hiragana.

and i'm in CSA too! :D, tried out to be part of marketing or production this week. See how it goes *crosses fingers*

There's a China Women's olympic hockey team vs. Waterloo hockey team on Oct 14, and Townwest singing Finals on Oct 23. : )

Their going to start setting up more events after recruitment is done : D. Anticipate it!

and what you said about Cantonese being a minority is kinda weird to me.. because most of the Asians i've meet were Cantonese (i am too O_o)

^lol I think he just means most of the asians are mandarin chinese or koreans nowadays instead of canto. it's true T_T years ago all the chinese who walked by me spoke cantonese but that's not true at all now. of course we exist though :)!

For JAPAN 101, you don't need any pre-requisites at all. I'm currently taking it, and i didn't know how to speak a word of Japanese.

It starts out pretty simple as everything in the book is written in English and Romaji. But as the course progresses, romaji is replaced by Hiragana.

It's been about 4 weeks, and now i'm able to write speak some basic phrases and write Basic Hiragana.

and i'm in CSA too! :D, tried out to be part of marketing or production this week. See how it goes *crosses fingers*

There's a China Women's olympic hockey team vs. Waterloo hockey team on Oct 14, and Townwest singing Finals on Oct 23. : )

Their going to start setting up more events after recruitment is done : D. Anticipate it!

and what you said about Cantonese being a minority is kinda weird to me.. because most of the Asians i've meet were Cantonese (i am too O_o)

the thing is i want japanese experience in the past but i still want to take japanese 101 and some friend of mine had to take this japanese test to determine her level in japanese. So i am not sure if I have to take it.

Well. I only know around... a handful of cantonese Chinese since arriving @ waterloo. Maybe because my program has none >.>". But it's good to hear you guys do exist =D.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest justforboa

I'm a 2nd year student at UW in biochemistry. I'm not really active on the forums but we can have a coffee break at some place like DC if you wanna know more about me.

Archived