MARTIAL ARTS THREAD

Guest Dah_jOkA

Guest ILikeWomen

i've been doing martial arts for few years, www.jinwukoon.com/main.html bloody awesome instructor master chan,

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FawkYoo

FawkYoo: really? you took wushu for that long? How was it? I've always wanted to take wushu cept dere are no good schools around here.

What was training like? What styles did u learn in? Did you take classes individually with your master or in a mass group?

I took Wushu for about 12 years.. I started since i was 7 now im 22.. Well it was modern Shaolin Wushu The training was tough and enduring like shaolin work outs.. wake up 8am and finish 9pm.. My Instructor was very hard on us.. He would hold classes 2 or 3 times a-week.. so thars why the classes or so long to make us move along faster.. Sometymes he would hold private lessons to his advanced students, but mostly group warmu-ups and activities.. but it taught me to be more diciplined and that Martial arts was not only for self-defence but also self discovery... I've learned and icked up amny different kind of martial arts, met many different masters.. Different names but the foundation is all the same my instructor helped me established that foundation.. Martial Arts is my life

Specialized in the following Martial Arts styles

(some in more depth than others)

Primary Martial Arts: Modern Chinese Wushu

Specialties:

* Chang Quan (long fist)

* Fanzi Quan (8th tumbling fist)

* Taiji Quan (chen style)

* Tong Bei Quan (extended arm boxing)

* Dao (broadsword)

* Ghun (staff)

Fist Play:

* XingYi Quan (form mind fist)

* Bagua Zhang (8-diaghram boxing)

* Zui Quan (drunken fist)

* Taiji Quan

* Tang Lang Quan (mantis fist)

* Ying Zhao Quan (eagle claw boxing)

* Shaolin 5 Animal Style (snake, dragon, tiger, crane, leopeord)

Weapons Play:

* Jian (straight sword)

* SanJieGun (3-Sectional Staff)

* Pu Dao (horse chopper, Long Army Lance)

* Qiang (spear)

* Zui Jian (drunken sword)

* Double Hooks Swords

* Chain Whip

* Rope Dart/Meteor Hammer

Guest saeyun

i'm into taekwondo... still a blue belt though ^^

my instructor also told me that you can learn tkd even if you're old...

i learned tkd last year and now i'm 23 and in my 3rd colored belt,

so it's ok if you are a 20+ or so because you still can learn.

but i wanna learn kendo so bad.. but there's no school here.. T___T

• 9 months later...
Guest jaesun

started aikido few days ago, so far loving it. was wondering if the gis fit true to size, i didnt know whether to order size 3 5'6-5'10, or size 4 5'11-6'1.

Guest kpark18

i did tkd up in frisco.

then i moved -_-;;

and there is NOOOO good instructors here.

i also did kendo...

but had to quit that too.

and there is no kendo place here anyways.

really helped me stay fit and competitive.

and i learned to control my anger.

Guest tuna_madunna

I learned Tae Kwon Do before but I quit because I can't juggle school and training.

Plus I really got conscious because my legs are got bigger.. :mellow:

Then I tried Aikido at school and really got a hard time performing it.

Now I want to try Moo Doo Kwan, is it too brutal for a girl?

• 3 weeks later...

I learned Tae Kwon Do before but I quit because I can't juggle school and training.

Plus I really got conscious because my legs are got bigger.. :mellow:

Then I tried Aikido at school and really got a hard time performing it.

Now I want to try Moo Doo Kwan, is it too brutal for a girl?

Not entirely sure but isnt Moo Doo Kwan just another branch of TKD. Sort of like WTF and ITF Tae Kwon Do. If thats the case then Moo Doo Kwan shouldnt be to 'brutal' for anybody.

Guest Johnny Y

Wow, TKD sure is popular here. I've studied some Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Fencing and TKD. I also box, and I'm trying to get into wrestling. What's this all for you ask? Well it's fun, and I'd love to someday fight in a mixed martial arts venue like UFC or Pride Fighting Championship. It's not about violence, it's about putting your heart, body and soul on the line all at once against someone who's willing to do the same. It's a true adrenaline rush - almost animal-like, but with distinct rules and a sense of comraderie that make it so very human too.

Guest Slug

Honestly, I have no respect for TKD. It's a horrible unrealistic martial art. I really don't have much respect for karate or Kung Fu either. Those arts very unrealistic in the fighting realm. Kick boxers and Muay Thai guys would rip TKD, Karate, and Kung Fu apart. Seen it, experienced it.. not being biased.

I'm more of an MMA guy- boxing, kick boxing, wrestling, muay thai, and bjj. I'd probably rip most TKD, Kung Fu, and Karate guys with just my boxing alone, which I've done before. I'm no superman or anything, but those arts just suck. Not saying I can handle the best of the best, but I can handle my own with most of them.

Even the great Bruce Lee himself says that boxing owns Kung Fu.

Guest iyagi

YES, Kung fu-er here :]

I haven't quite gotten to doing all the different types of Modern wushu yet, but so far we've been practicing alot of Northern forms. We're learning World Competitions forms for this summer's tournaments. Some people are practicing Southern fist on their own. So far, I've met a lot of people at competitions and such and learn about different forms. We made friends with a guy who knew a Mantis form lol it was so cool.

Well I've been practicing Kung Fu for probably over 4 years now. I know it's not that long and it's taken us forever to get to the level we're at now. But still, I feel like it's helped me alot in the long run. It seems lots of people are into TKD, and I can't quite say my opinion on it since I've never tried it before, but my Master (of course) isn't too fond of it. We're kinda rivaling the other TKD school that's next to us and such lol. I must say, on many occasions, our Master has been able to take down theirs.

I noticed for alot of people who join our school, its hard for them to let go of the MA they took before. Like this guy who took I think TKD and Muay Thai (he's really good btw) the way he moves is really different, so he has to adjust to the way we move in wushu.

So... anyone going to any competitions on the East side of the US this summer? :0

Guest Johnny Y

I've known some TKD guys that I would rather not fight - ESPECIALLY if they've learned either takedown defense or grappling. Yikes. TKD is really useful for footwork and kick speed. I've been kicked in the strangest ways by TKD guys, like sidekicks to my shoulder, because I hardly have enough time to defend them. Plus those spinning back kicks to the body make me feel nauseous when they connect. I've also never seen any other MAer jump as high as TKD guys do...it's just ridiculous.

Every martial art seems to have its benefits. They all instill confidence, discipline and are great exercise.

I myself would love to learn some of the more obscure arts...I remember watching a Paul Vunak vid where he said he learned a martial art where all they did was bite. There were like 140 different ways to bite someone...lol, how the heck do you even spar with that???

Guest AtomicNorthernLights

My grandpa is a 9th Dan Black Belt.. I believe he was also the master of the Korean Military TKD thing? My Uncle was the Korea/Japan Judo champion.

Names Please im very intrested in such things, So i take it your Grandfather was a member of the OhDukKwan?

Honestly, I have no respect for TKD. It's a horrible unrealistic martial art. I really don't have much respect for karate or Kung Fu either. Those arts very unrealistic in the fighting realm. Kick boxers and Muay Thai guys would rip TKD, Karate, and Kung Fu apart. Seen it, experienced it.. not being biased.

I'm more of an MMA guy- boxing, kick boxing, wrestling, muay thai, and bjj. I'd probably rip most TKD, Kung Fu, and Karate guys with just my boxing alone, which I've done before. I'm no superman or anything, but those arts just suck. Not saying I can handle the best of the best, but I can handle my own with most of them.

Even the great Bruce Lee himself says that boxing owns Kung Fu.

Slug, first off all not all TKD sucks ive seen TKD people punish muay thai people by sliping in back kicks some thing TeH DeAdLy moo tai is not used to, though your assumption that TKD sucks is some what true alot of practioners are teh suckerz they come to compete in olympic style sparring of slappy point richard simmons which is problem TKD faces. Also i would like to Inite you to Bullshido.com a great place.

Lol Karate sucks http://youtube.com/watch?v=XT8D2MOBl5s

• 1 month later...
Guest bLufurBaLL

I think saying that a certain martial arts sucks is a bit harsh.. but I agree with slug in a way that boxing may take over TKD, karate, or kung fu..

but those martial arts arnt focused of the fighting aspect as much as boxing.. they have forms and flashy stuff.. but boxing is (i think) all conditioning and preparing to fight

slug you should come and beat up this instructor guy at this TKD place.. right when I entered (the first time) he said, "hi, I'm a instuctor and I won two Jr. Olmypics" ..

anyways, I do TKD. The other martial arts places are too far away but there arnt many.. so I'm sticking to just TKD.. I think Id rather perfect one than vary my studies.. but yea =]

Guest aznblondex3

Yep, it's the korean form of kendo. It's pretty much the same but there are slight differences between korean kumdo and japanese kendo.

well, I only took haedong kumdo for about six months before I switched and have done jukdo gumdo for around a year or so? something like that...

physically, jukdo kumdo is more demanding than haedong, especially once you get past the basics. On average, it takes about three months before a person perfects the basics to start learning the rigors and techniques of actual sparring, which is very fun I might add.

Haedong was, to me at least, very boring. It is more focused on the different forms of attack and things like that, but you never actualy spar.

Of course, both do require a great deal of concentration, whether you are perfecting a form in haedong or sparring in jukdo

jukdo kumdo:

Haedong:

kumdo has been very enjoyable and I encourage people to take it up :)

hey!! i do kumdo toooo xD

do u go to a krn dojang or a japanese dojo?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest MeNahBabe

i went from ballet to tkd when i was 7. my family is martial artsy. my dad was a 7th degree black belt in hapkido and my uncle was an 8th degree in....i dono what lol but he runs a bodyguard training place heh heh. well i've stuck with tkd for 8 years and am still going.....oddly im only a 1st degree blackbelt -.- oh how embaressing. i swear its not because i suck...i think. lol i just have an extremely strict instructor who would like to keep his students around for a very long time. i'm still training with the ppl i started tkd with when i was 7, and we all are on the same level. eh even if im not the best fighter....i still know enough to keep some naughty boys at bay lol.

i know how to do TKD...but thats it...im not very good but i do like it but i love it in korea...cuz the teaching is better

Archived