Glee

Guest leongfun

Guest splendidlure

I know. I hope they don't break up over a stupid music video.

I like that Emma finally stood up for herself and called Will a manwhore/richard simmons. lol. at least Rachael was just portraying one for a music video.

yeah.. I can't wait until they reveal Jesse's plans. I always thought he was always fake being her boyfriend especially when he was looking at Idena's character when kissing Rachael.

I love Rachael. She still reminds me of Reese Witherspoon's character in "Election".

3 Things 'GLEE' Does WRONG

Last September, I swore Glee represented the future of teens on screen. The musical dramedy seemed to have everything going for it: an excellent cast, a unique premise anchored in Middle American economic anxieties, and a tart, slightly surreal sensibility—not to mention cross-platform marketing potential that could make it a cash cow even if it only attracted small, devoted audiences. But FOX didn't need that backup plan. Glee has become a smash hit, its cast in demand at events ranging from the Human Rights Campaign's fundraising dinner to the White House Easter Egg Roll and increasingly on the hot list for record companies and casting directors working on other projects.

But since the show returned from a lengthy hiatus last month, it's suffered a marked decline in quality, even as its ratings have skyrocketed. It hasn't even taken a full season for Glee to become a cautionary tale in how to drive a promising television concept solidly into the ground. Writers and directors should note a number of lessons Glee's creators seem to be ignoring.

1. Be True to Your Setting. One of the most appealing things about Glee in the beginning was the decision to set it not in one of the cities that are the corners of the Hollywood Triangle—New York, Miami, and Los Angeles—but rather in small-town Lima, Ohio. And the show was clear about the economic circumstances of both the school and the characters. The school district's strained budget meant the nascent show choir was in believable peril and fueled intelligent early plotlines like the school's inability to finance a handicapped-accessible bus to accommodate Artie, a member of the choir who uses a wheelchair. His teammates' initial willingness to accept those circumstances, and his pointed explanation of their prejudices, fueled one of the show's best episodes.

Similarly, the individual characters' financial straits fueled believable plot developments. Will Schuester, the choir's likeable director, took on part-time work as a janitor to support his family, only to find himself in closer proximity than he expected with the school's pretty guidance counselor. Finn, the football team's quarterback, also needed extra money to to help support his pregnant girlfriend, Quinn, but was unable to find a job. So Rachel, the show choir's star, swallowed her jealousy of their relationship to find a novel solution to his plight.

But in recent episodes, those financial woes seem largely forgotten. A subplot where a former student endows the auditorium solely for the club's use after the cheerleading team tries to steal their practice space lacked the bite it might have had if it had seemed like real salvation. But the club's gone through so many fancy costume changes and elaborate sets that the story just seemed like a tired retread of the choir-cheerleading rivalry Glee has come to rely on all too heavily. And as Mr. Schuester's divorce and Quinn's pregnancy have progressed, questions of money have largely been forgotten. The stakes in both plots have declined dramatically as a result.

2. Use All Your Assets—And Make Good Use of Them. One of Glee's greatest virtues and accomplishments has been the spotlight it's placed squarely on Jane Lynch's volcanic talents. As demonic cheerleading coach Sue Sylvester, Lynch has created a character for the ages. There's just one problem—by relying so heavily on Lynch, and Lea Michele's Rachel and Cory Monteith's Finn, and underdeveloping large swaths of its big and talented cast, the show is at risk of making its leads boring and overexposed.

Take Mark Salling, who plays Puck, the show's resident Lothario. The show revealed his pipes on a fantastic cover of Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline"—turning the song back from a stadium anthem into a wooing song—and promptly forgot all about them. He hasn't had a solo since, and after Glee revealed that he was really the father of Quinn's baby, the show promptly forgot about him, too.

Even when the show makes better use of its actors, it runs the frequent risk of turning them into clichés. Amber Riley, who plays Mercedes Jones, and has by far the biggest voice of any of the cast members, started off promisingly enough with fantastic covers of Jill Scott's "Hate On Me" and Jazmine Sullivan's "Bust Your Windows."

But as the show's progressed, she's been siloed off into Big Black Girl Standards. She's soloed on "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" (a performance that notably got cut from the team's competition roster) and has been brought in to provide a hint of soul on other tracks, a pattern the show memorably and unfunnily, attempted to turn into a joke (the show has a nasty habit of acting like its marginalization of its minority characters is cute). A real low point came when an episode devoted to Mercedes turned into an after-school special about high school and body image, capped off with a rendition of Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful." It's a real comedown—and an incredibly boring development—for a character who declared that she didn't wear a cheerleading skirt because she was afraid of "starting a sex riot."

3. Believe It Or Not, Continuity Matters. In recent weeks, Glee has whipped through plotlines with the jittery energy of the choir's members doped up on pseudoephedrine, and lots of storylines have been lost in the process. Is Quinn, kicked out by her parents for getting pregnant, still living with her ex-boyfriend? Who was making harassing phone calls to Kurt, a gay glee-clubber's, father? What happened to Finn's worries about a college scholarship? And Rachel's desire to have sex, so memorably articulated in early episodes? Also, are her dads just never home? How old are these kids anyway? And when is the next round of show choir competitions? Because that is the frame device for the show, right? Glee has another season locked up, and with numbers and music sales like this, it'll be around for the long term. There's no reason for the show not to take a deep breath, relax, and develop its plotlines clearly and coherently. The show's secure future is a luxury, not an excuse to go crazy.

None of this is to say that Glee is past the point of no return. But the show should have the same aspirations as its main characters: to be very good, instead of simply being very popular.

source: http://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive...oes-wrong/39820

rp117-04.gif

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TiFFaNiZeD

^ i kinda agree. the plot of the recent episodes have been all over the place. i hardly see Quinn anymore. what about her problems? and is Jesse really an undercover for Vocal Adrenaline? I really like Jonathan Groff, he's a cutie =D i hope he stays in the show.

What doubts i have about Jesse is now gone after the latest episode. At least im pretty sure he's real towards Rachel and its really sad to see them break up over this music video.

Jesse should most definitely be a regular on the show. D: No one tops the chemistry between him and Lea.

Guest <3goesDOKIDOKI

^

^i totally agree.

lately the writing for glee has just lost some of its quirky appeal.

it used to be great songs + a great plot

nowadays the show seems to be more concerned about using as many songs as possible so that they can churn out yet another soundtrack album.

still going to watch glee though but lately the show just seems to be holding on to it's audience by riding on its popularity and with one really great episode (i.e-madonna episode) and then a bunch of mediocre filler episodes.

Guest splendidlure

1dygjc.jpg

I thought this episode was better than the madonna episode. Madonna episode had great songs, but storyline was boring, imo. I thought this episode was crazy funny. This show works best as a parody of musicals and comedy. I love the over the top expessions of Puckleberry in Run Joey Run and Rachael's crazy eyes in the hallway. So funnny. Hope to see Emma be more confident in the later episodes.

Lmao. Sandy as Rachael's Father was hilarious too:

sw7nkj.gif

ifu2o0.gif

9k7y12.gif

2hezl79.gif

ff0ilw.gif

I do agree that it's missing something from pre-mid season hiatus (lol maybe it's will's ex wife). however I really do like the Kurt and father development. I think the last episode was pretty good. Maybe they're playing it safe? I liked the riskier/more controversal/morally corrupt stuff they had in the beginning of season. It was just a bit more funnier.

Guest adrienne3

total eclipse of the heart was a heartbreaker...you can feel the chemistry between jesse and rachel...love lea and jon...hope they get pass this or better yet make jon a regular...please!

just like anybody else in here, i do hope Jesse & Rachel wont break up because of the music video.. :huh: ..what's with Rachel and her wanted to be popular anyway? am i the only one in here who finds Puck looking hawt in that music vid? :wub: crossin' fingers for more Puck moments in the future epi..

their rendition of Total Eclipse of the Heart is simply awesome! i really love that part! :wub:

the scene of Sue and her sister is one of my fave too. it shows the other side of her apart from being a 'demonic cheerleading coach'. the music video of her & Olivia Newton John ( was it really her?) is really entertaining! :lol:

Guest Xia-ya

Damn Puck is freaking hot in the video.I

loved Total Eclipse of the Heart it almost made me cry. =[

Guest ANJEE<3

i hate what they're doing with rachel's character.. she's always the center of undeserved hate =\

fin needs to step down as the lead vocal... because he isn't!!!

the creators should really shine the vocals on artie + puck

they have a MUCH MUCH better voice

i agree with the above article..

they're not keeping up with the plots they started.. the ones that made the series relatable and real

performances are always great but i want to know what happens to quinns baby and etc

was she even wearing the preg suit when they performed that all girl solo in the madonna episode? i couldn't find the belly!

Guest PB&Banana

^

I loved artie and his voice is wonderful so is the guy who plays puck.

There's a lot of writing discrepancies, I thought Puck would change and not be so sex driven but he still is which I thought Quinn would change.

I'm actually not disappointed with the recent episodes I think the songs in this season are better than last season.

Did anyone think Will, Fin, and Jesse sounded similar in Like a virgin?

Guest je_amourx

Mr.Schuester got to be the hottest teacher on T.V ... Ice Ice Baby!!!

Although I thought this week's episode was better than the Madonna one,IMO I still agree with the "3 Things 'GLEE' Does WRONG" It felt weird watching stories thrown left and right, lacking any sense of actual plot but instead they just threw a bunch of songs in.

I'm really glad that Emma can finally stand up for herself , ironically with the help of Sue!

Getting tired of Rachel's stories ... heard that Lea Michelle is actually really stuck up in real life?!

I LOVE Archie's voice, moreso than the three male (Finn,Puck,Jesse)! He needs [more] solos.

AND YES, we got more screen time of "the other Asian" at the beginning.

Guest PB&Banana

^

I can't say much for other people but when I met her when glee was holding the fan meeting to promote the debut episode she was really nice, it was actually the other glee cast that looked bored

And yes Kevin Mchale should get more singing time

Guest SilentScreamerS

is lea michele related to the woman who plays the vocal adrenaline coach?

cuz they look soooo much alike.

Guest ANJEE<3

is lea michele related to the woman who plays the vocal adrenaline coach?

cuz they look soooo much alike.

rumours are circulating that she may be rachel's birth mom

fans rooted for Idina Menzel to be cast in Glee because she resembled Lea Michele so much

Guest kazenai

wait..wait...I know a lot of people are supporting St.Berry, but isn't James a spy from Vocal Adrenaline (as emphasized when the two kissed for the first time @ V.Adrenaline's stage -the femme fatal coach!) UNLESS I skipped a scene in the next episodes which showed Jesse talking to his director/coach (I know he quit, but did he really quit for the right reasons?!- DID I miss a scene?!)

I like Puckleberry more than Fichel... but heck both couple has a unique chemistry.

rumours are circulating that she may be rachel's birth mom

fans rooted for Idina Menzel to be cast in Glee because she resembled Lea Michele so much

It would be totally sick if they added that storyline in the next season (no space for it currently) Because 1st of all, we haven't gotten into Rachel's family story yet-and she's the main character (weird eh?!) So the coach could be her surrogate mother?! unless her dads lied to her and we find out she was adopted. [i dont think we'll ever see the dads in any scene :( ]

Guest mz simmonz

I admit I wasn't too wow'ed by the highly anticipated "Madonna" episode and the "Home" episode was a bit too Chenoworth-overload for my liking, but "Bad Reputation" was amazing! I loved the variety they put into each performance, especially "Total Eclipse Of The Heart", it gave me goosebumps. But seriously, all the songs were done so well..and was anybody else fooled by the PuckleBerry moment? I really thought Rachel was gonna go for it! Oh well, maybe in season 2? haha. The only thing I was "eh" about was Molly Shannon's character not quite fitting into the storyline of that particular episode. I looove Molly Shannon and I felt like that was just an awkward/incorrect use of her, she would've been a treat to have in a later episode or next season, even.

I agree with some of the points the author wrote in "3 Things GLEE is Doing Wrong", especially the part about overexposing the leads (Sue, Rachel, Finn)..the problem with leads is that they can get boring after awhile because they lose that quirk and they are always in your face. I mean Sue is a hilarious character so I don't think I'd get tired of her but I think I will get tired of her singing because the other Glee members are better vocalists than her and it's just unrealistic for the cheerleading coach to break out into song or be featured in a music video every other episode. Finn is cute and likeable but has always been a dull character for me so the show needs to concentrate on his personal life more, and give him less songs..Puck and Artie NEED another solo, their voices are amazing and much stronger than Finn's. As for Rachel, we can't deny that Lea Michele has an incredible voice but she is featured a tad much and not always in the most favorable or even tolerable light, I like her so I don't want Rachel to be hated, kind of like that overachieving girl in your class that you couldn't stand, I don't want that to happen to her character.

Anywhoo, I can't wait until the next episode, it looks Kurt-tastic!

Guest OBSCURE Sin

I have to say that I agree a lot with the "Three Things Glee Does Wrong" article. Where the hell is Quinn living? And Mercedes is more stereotype than person.

I think there's a bit too much unfair hatred piled on Rachel's character. The point about Rachel is that although she's high-maintenance, egotistical, a bit crazy and so forth, she is not a bad person. She may not think about the consequences of her actions, but she's not intentionally nasty. It's understandable that she would have a chip on her shoulder from being bullied for so long, and play up to her talents because her performance art is all that she has. Recently, though, the show seems to forget that she's not supposed to be a villain and is dumping a lot of ridiculous things on her, forgetting to balance her out as it tries to do with the other characters.

While she may have a lot to learn about social skills and sharing the limelight, the show is a bit hypocritical about discouraging bullying and subtly teaching life lessons, when it uses Rachel as a scapegoat by most characters in almost every episode, then acts as if it's cute or "all in good fun" because it's Rachel. But if people treated, say, Quinn like this then it would probably be the focus of the episode, and deemed as wrong even though she started off as someone who was intentionally hurtful. Being horrible to Rachel in the Glee club setting that - for everyone else - is supposed to be an escape from the prejudice and bullying that is present elsewhere is hardly funny. And much as she needs to learn to share, her character is never going to improve if people think it's okay to bully her in a therapeutic fashion. It's a two-way street.

Even as far as she goes, I think Jesse dumping her over the music video was silly.

Nice a gleek club! Haha :)

I'm probably the only one here who's rooting for Finn+Rachael, is glad Rachael and Jesse broke up, and still thinks Jesse has some alterer motive for dating Rachel and being at McKinnley.

I totally agree with OBSCURE Sin about Rachel's character. I think it's understandable for her to want to be popular. If you think about it, she really has no friends at school and even a lot of the people in Glee exclude her and don't like her. Whenever I watch Glee I always secretly root for Rachel in every episode and I feel really bad when I see how much of a loner she is.

I'm super excited for the next episode though. It seems really good.

Archived