Cosmetics And Skin Care

eff

Do you buy expensive cosmetics and skin care range?
There are so many cosmetic and skin care range out there and their prices seems to becoming so ridiculously high. I am using Dermalogica and the prices has increased tremendously from 2 years back... for cosmetics, some of my colleagues uses counter brands e.g. Maybelline, Loreal and stuff... Do you think brand matters when it comes to skin care range and cosmetics? Especially during the economy, I am personally trying to budget on things I buy so am contemplating hard if I should go for cheaper skin care/cosmetics...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't mind using cheap stuff if it works well with my skin. I mix drugstore brands with department store ones. Sometimes brands do matter, but still it really depends upon the person using the products. To some it may work wonders but that might not be the same for you. It would be nice if you could try stuff from different lines, start with cheap ones to see if you'll find useful ones. If not, then you should move to more expensive ones. Not all pricier items are worth it. Try them first.

Guest Lady Violette

after getting major breakouts from many drugstore products I'm scared to put any drugstore products on my face. I only buy products from sephora because I can try the products out and return it if I don't like it. I guess I just feel more secure at sephora and I love the natural products. I care more about my face than the economy but I never spend over $20 for a cleanser after I found philosophy's purity cleanser lol. if drugstore brands work for you then go for it :)

Guest suzic87

If I could afford expensive stuff I will but I just use the drugstore brands, I use and still kinda do occasionally use St Ives Apricot Scrub but I switched to Johnsons 3 in 1 refreshing facial wash and my spots are getting less prevalent as for cosmetics I use branded stuff like MaxFactor and Maybelline

Guest beana*

Lately for my skin care I've been doing mostly all natural stuff to my face and it has changed my face around! Lately I've been getting bad breakouts and I didn't try out much products during this time because I was busy but I found out that the natural products was the best way to go. The only "high end" thing that I have for my skin care is probably my cleanser but other than that majority of its natural or drug store brands and stuff that you find in the grocery store :P my skin is a whole lot better now and is improving by each day. By doing it this way it is inexpensive and easy in my opinion.

As for cosmetics thats where all my money goes into. I do notice that with cheaper brands they do not have the lasting power that I need so that's why I go for the more higher end brands. However there are some cheaper brands that do work so it ranges.

For the skin care if anyone has any questions I'll be glad to answer them :]

Guest ninyaah

I use Neutrogena for my facial cleanser because it's good for sensitive skin. I have a really hard time finding products that won't irritate my skin. As for cosmetics, I splurge on foundation more than any other cosmetic, because my skin is far more important than say, my eyelashes.

Guest Sarin

I can't afford department store brands all the time, but I am needing a good foundation and concealer and these are two of the only makeup items I am willing to splurge a bit for. I really need the right shade, and you can't test it out at the drugstore. Eyeshadow, eyeliner, face wash, moisturizer, etc - those are all drugstore brands. They work.

Guest HeulWan

I use both . . .

With certain products there's a reason why expensive brands are more expensive because they do the job better. For example, I find that drugstore eye creams doesn't really do much for me but then I've tried more expensive mascaras like lancome and for me it doesn't work as well as some drugstore brands. So I guess its really a trial and error thing because products work differently on different people.

Guest yoroshiku90

you can test out drugstore products and if you dont like it you can return it.

that's the policy i know for riteaid, walgrens, meijers, walmart, kmart etc.

Guest auroralbutterfly

I only use cleansers from The Body Shop. Not high end, but not from drugstores either. Been using that for a long time now.

I used to use Neutrogena products, but I've switched to Korean skincare and BB cream for more than about two years now.

Any other makeup (ie. powder, eyeshadow, etc.) are from drugstores. I find those work just as well.

Nothing I use are more than $15. I like to find things that work AND are inexpensive. Gotta save money, you know.

Guest lolimois

I was going to get some high end skin care product but when I read the reviews, the cheaper stuff tend to have really great reviews (while the expensive ones just get ok reviews) so I just grab the cheap stuff lol.

I guess I need to go and personally try things out though~ Like I ran out of eyeliner (revlon colorstay.. one of the best reviewed eyeliners) so I went to the dollar store to get a eyeliner sharpener for my estee lauder eyeliner... They didn't have just the eyeliner sharpener so I bought dollar eye liner with a sharpener attached to it.

That eyeliner doesn't smudge at all! O_O I'm surprised. I think its better than colorstay... it's like kleancolor or something? anyhoo yeah I get some great finds at the dollar store every now and then lol. Never would get foundation or stuff but for color/eye stuff....

Guest ladyfei

It depends, but mostly i use high end skincare products cuz my skin is sensitive (got breakouts from neutrogena, clean and clear.. etc). So I have to be careful... I have only one face, I dont want to play around with it hehe. For make up.. I use high end face stuff (foundation, blush,powder) but for eyes i can use mac and other stuff. like japanese drugstore products.

Guest melty-kiss

For skincare products, I usually go with the high end stuff. If it's gonna be absorbed, then I rather it be better than questionable.

For makeup, usually high end because I only use like 3 things (mascara, eyeshadow, and eyeliner) and could afford spending extra on them. I don't use things like foundation, concealer, primers, etcs but if I did I guess I would move toward mid-range).

When I used some cheaper mascaras I never really had good experiences with them.

For cleansing products, I go with mid-range. Don't want anything too cheap that may cause problems or not even do its job, but I don't need anything especially expensive with all those ingredients that get washed off within a minute. I just need something that can clean my face without worrying about anything.

Lately though, I've been also using some natural treatments ... : ) which is definitely cheaper.

But my thinking is, even if it is expensive, you spread out over the time you can use them and it's not so bad. I mean it's not like I'm buying these things every single month.

Guest YeonCouture

i really don't think that the brand and price matters when it comes to skincare/cosmetics.

i use drugstore moiturizer, facial cleanser, and acne treatmet and they work really well on my skin.

i've tried several more expensive brands of the products metioned above, but i still prefer my drugstore stuff (:

i've tried 2 different moisturizers from clinique but nothing beats my olay moisturizer.

i've also tried murad but nothing beats persagel (:

as for makeup, i use many different brands.

i love the voluminous mascara from l'oreal and their eyeliner.

i've tried mac mascara and eyeliner but they were horrible imo.

i've also tried foundations from mac, stila, and lancome but i love my clinique tinted m.

and i've got a range of blushes from like revlon to lancome.

so what i'm bascially trying to get at issss... expensive doesn't always mean better (:

btw, suave shampoo and conditioner [yes the 99 cent ones!] works tons better on my hair than $15 big sexy hair.

Guest Refinnejam

I've used Loreal Pure Zone, the 3 step program, consistently for over 5+ years. I stick to it because it's reliable and cheapish.I do remember they used to sell it in the $7 per bottle range, but now it's $12+ per bottle?

I was thinking of switching to another brand, such as clinique, as I've heard good things about them - but why switch if there's no need?

I also tend to buy revlon, loreal and covergirl for my makeup brands. I've recently attained Lancome Hypnose mascara and it's the best mascara I've ever used.

Guest marasshi

I use drugstore products for eyeshadow, mascara, soap (as cleanser), and moisturizer, but the rest of my makeup (foundation, blush, concealer) is mineral makeup from an independent seller.

Guest PrettyJiwon

I use Clean & Clear morning burst for my face and I like it and seaweed pack from Korea that is cheap. And they work really good I think. But I use Shiseido super lifting formula and Shiseido brightening masks. They are pretty expensive for the little that you get. And I never use drugstore makeup. :blink: But I really have never tried because my mom buys it all. If i ever have to use cheap stuff I don't think I will have a problem though.

i used to go with high end stuff back in australia

but after moving to korea, i switched to korean brands [face shop for cleansing, innisfree for eyecream, missha for bb cream/concealer etc] cuz they are pretty good for the price and branded stuff are highly over priced here^^;;

Archived