The Filipino F4

Guest thua

Guest --KagedKore787--

^^

well, the enterntainment industry must make money to survive. so like all businesses you always want to maximize your profits. it seems like if the people at the top of the industry are choosing light skinned actors, pretty people, remakes as opposed to talent to maximize their profits, then the philippine society as a whole has demonstrated a preference to those aesthetics. the same can be said about other entertainment industries, with india being a prime example. You have to understand that in business, it's always money above morals; if i have to use pretty people with no talent because that is what will make me the most money, then i i would not care if they don't look like the people watching them. Just like that old saying, "it's just business. nothing personal."

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest endlessdeath

I don't mind seeing Dino Imperial play one of the playboys (...I sort of imagined him play So YiJeong's character)

But Rayver being part of the F4...not so sure.

There had been many remakes of series' from other countries, but this one, I'm not so sure if it will be successful.

But the mangaka must be SUPER RICH! I mean, there had been a Taiwanese Version, Japanese Version, Korean Version...now even a Chinese Version...and well, a Filipino Version.

Anyhow, let's just look forward to it.

Guest whizzer's_rose

honestly, I like the filipino version of kim sam soon but hated the filipino version of My Girl. Sorry to My Girl fans, I just thought it was done poorly--they just did it to boost the popularity of kim and gerald. I don't think a remake of Meteor Garden will rate. The only remake that ABS-CBN has been succesful so far is the Betty La Fea remake.

Guest janelleski

this is the 5th remake already O.O

OMG! the mangaka must be swimming in a 10ft deep olympic sized pool filled with stash of cash!

lmfao that rhymes.

i'm already happy with the japanese version :)

thank you very much

Guest imogene_af

I think Sarah Geronimo would be perfect to a tee (she's also dark skinned in real life, a pretty girl, you see).

I feel like Rayver is just getting casted because of their romance rumors off-screen which is so predictably Filipino.

Guest yojan17

I'd like to see Sarah too as San Chai! No more Kim Chiu, please. *peace* :lol:

Rayver? Noooooo, puh-lease. He's not a leading man material. Not papable enough. Harhar. His boyish looks may work against him. In short, I don't like him. ^_^ He seems nice though.

(RE: Sarah-Rayver romance rumor = to hype their upcoming movie. I heard he already has a girlfriend. *coughs*MelissaRicks*coughs*. Haha! Hay, Philippine showbusiness talaga.. )

But then, I'm not seeing a Philippine version of HYD/MG in the near future. Maybe in two or three years? *shrugs* Why not? I'd give this a try. We'll see.

Guest imogene_af

^

Sarah may be too old by then. But I cannot think of anyone who can be a Jun Pyo in the Philippine version. Like no one, either too young, too old, too dry, too much of a ham actor, etc.

maybe Jake Cuenca but his image is just too bleh and too tainted. I don't want to see Sarah with him. :lol: He improved tons in acting, but I think his image is beyond redemption.

Rayver can act, but he just looks... 12.

And uhm, why do we always say Filipino celebrities cannot act? Do we watch the same things? Well, maybe those dudes can't but Sarah Geronimo is great in rom-coms. And she isn't awkward playing these roles, it comes off natural. Which makes her so perfect for this.

I mean I can name many names, Filipinos are one of the best dramatic actors out there.

OT: I know of Rayver-Melissa from waaaay back it was like a news blackout last year (he even hooked up with Rhian last year while Melissa was going on, good boy looks but a bit of a playa in real life if these rumors can be trusted), but from some mole I heard he got dumped recently. I don't think it's hype for a movie because I know Viva doesn't even want him as Sarah's leading man, they were aiming for Gerald. They know Rayver's too risky. I think there's some hype involved but I don't think it's for this movie per se. I mean, the reason why he's getting these roles is because he is linked to the hottest young star right now---Sarah. So it's cause and effect.

Guest Daiquiri

As a Filipino nationalist I'm against this. First of all instead of remaking why don't we produce our own original drama that other countries can "remake"? Also I don't understand why the Philippine entertainment industry insist on casting actors and actresses based on their looks and not their talents. Actually Filipino Celebrities don't represent the country at all. Our celebrities are always mixed, why not a full-blooded Filipino?

And before somebody starts bashing on me, yes, I do understand that there are light skinned Filipinos too, but let's be honest here - that doesn't represent the majority of us? We are dark skinned, I'm proud to say it, and I hate how Filipinos (and other Asians) think that being a dark Asian is not beautiful. I've seen many beautiful, dark and talented Filipinos, I wished there were better represented in the media than their light skinned counterparts. It makes me angry.

Oh by the way, while I enjoy many Korean dramas (Coffee Prince and Dal-Ja's Spring being one of the best in my books), I think Boys over flowers is so over-rated, it seriously is one of the worst-made dramas I've seen. The production relied heavily on the looks of the actors and the aesthetics that it failed to deliver quality in the writing and directing. Which is too bad, because I thought Hye Sun and Min Ho had so much potential. The love that I had for the Japanese version spurred me to finish it no matter how bad it was, I kept hoping (until the bitter end) that it will get better, but I was wrong. Japanese version will always be the best despite the not so stellar looks of the F4. If you disagree, then that's fine, to each their own.

Then isn't it somewhat an oxymoron to say the Japanese version was the best, despite how bad it was as you put it. All three versions are overrated and incredibly hyped up.

Also the entertainment goes by popular demand and what appeals to the general audience. If people feel light skin is prettier than dark skin, then that notion won't change overnight. That's just how it goes. I do understand what you're trying to say and why you feel that way but again it doesn't change anything. Maybe one day but definitely not today. I think the general consensus in Asia is that fair skin > dark skin. That usually is the case from what I've seen.

Guest tranceeee

well, the filo guys are cute so i dont mind ;)

American “Boys Over Flowers”, anyone?

^yes please. let there be hot guys (L)

"The Filipino F4, Just 'cause the Chinese one didn't richard simmons you off enough.."

.... WOW.

What does that supposed to mean?

"Just cause the Chinese one didn't richard simmons you off enough?"

Don't you know that the chinese one came out FIRST?

There is so much wrong with this statement I can't even begin.

Guest yojan17

^

Sarah may be too old by then. But I cannot think of anyone who can be a Jun Pyo in the Philippine version. Like no one, either too young, too old, too dry, too much of a ham actor, etc.

maybe Jake Cuenca but his image is just too bleh and too tainted. I don't want to see Sarah with him. :lol: He improved tons in acting, but I think his image is beyond redemption.

Rayver can act, but he just looks... 12.

And uhm, why do we always say Filipino celebrities cannot act? Do we watch the same things? Well, maybe those dudes can't but Sarah Geronimo is great in rom-coms. And she isn't awkward playing these roles, it comes off natural. Which makes her so perfect for this.

I mean I can name many names, Filipinos are one of the best dramatic actors out there.

OT: I know of Rayver-Melissa from waaaay back it was like a news blackout last year (he even hooked up with Rhian last year while Melissa was going on, good boy looks but a bit of a playa in real life if these rumors can be trusted), but from some mole I heard he got dumped recently. I don't think it's hype for a movie because I know Viva doesn't even want him as Sarah's leading man, they were aiming for Gerald. They know Rayver's too risky. I think there's some hype involved but I don't think it's for this movie per se. I mean, the reason why he's getting these roles is because he is linked to the hottest young star right now---Sarah. So it's cause and effect.

OFF-TOPIC

Yeah, Sarah will be like 23 or 24 by then. :P I dunno, she's the only one I can think of. She's good in rom-coms. She can do drama too but she still needs a little workshop. She sings, dances, hosts, draws.. she seems like a nice person and she has John Lloyd as her Bebe :lol:. Damn, I sooo envy her. Too good to be true. ^_^ One couldn't get any luckier!

Rayver and Rhian? Never knew about that! They seem like an odd couple. :lol:

Rayver and Sarah - it was Boy Abunda and Cristy Fermin who concluded that Sarah has a crush (*cringe* I hate using that word) or has this MU thingie going on with Rayver. Sarah has repeatedly denied it but they kept insisting much more when Sarah went to the US for her concert tour. Nice timing there. Sarah and Rayver has great chemistry though (YCML & ASAP). I just hate it when they resort to linking two people romantically for publicity. Ugh. It's like the one of the most ancient way of getting attention in Philippine showbiz. Duh. <_<

Sarah-Gerald - Argh! I was hoping this would push through, but then, Kimeralds wouldn't allow it! Sayang! Maybe next time.

Jake - he has really improved a lot! But then, yeah, tainted's the right word to describe him. Hehe. Pairing Sarah and Jake is like throwing a kid into a lion's den. Harhar. RAWR! :lol:

NOT-SO ON TOPIC:

I'd kill to see Kanto Boys and Sarah do a HYD spoof. :lol:

The Philippines has a lot of good actors. It's just that the good-looking-but-can't-act-ones are given more exposure, unfortunately. But there is still a shortage of good actors compared to good actresses. We are running out of papable leading men! Ack!

This is getting really long. I thought I was in PEx. :lol:

Guest imogene_af

^

Gerald is too attached to Kim Chiu, which is bringing him more damage than good. Same with Kim, so it's like... I don't want that to happen because their fans were super mean to Sarah and it's like, "WTH? Insecure much?"

The Rayver-Sarah thing actually was brought up as early as 2007ish, I think (i.e. the "crush" thing). Way before that Buzz interview. It's just now that it went way overboard with supposedly Sarah announcing their in some sort of "relationship" (MU? Misunderstanding? :lol: ) which is a bit unfair because she isn't in the country to explain herself. Not being a hater though, I think they're cute when they dance in ASAP. :lol: I loved their No Air dance. They should dance more.

Yeah, Jake seems too corrupted for Sarah.

But how the heck can Sarah do this? She has like movies coming out and friggin concerts, unless she makes a clone.

But if ever they make a Hana Yori Dango remake, I hope they stick to Sarah Geronimo as the heroine. It's just that no boys around her age has that much star power or mass appeal like she has. Maybe Gerald Anderson (who suddenly hit puberty? Rayver needs that puberty pills) ... but he's too attached to Kim Chiu's name.

And WORD on the shortage of good actors... it's like Piolo, John Lloyd... and FINE to an extent Sam are all getting old and no one's really taking over right now.

Guest yojan17

^ I heard she's also doing a weekly teleserye, so weekly teleserye + TNO Philippine Concert Tour + ASAP + movie with Rayver/Toni/Vhong. :lol: Mwahaha! Good luck! The girl's working like there's no tomorrow!

Ow yeah! The NO AIR dance number with Rayver! (I also like her Disturbia & Single Ladies SOS performance) Rayver's one heck of a dancer and he can also sing (YCML + If I Were a Boy/Girl with Sarah). They're compatible pala. :D Although I have some reservations on Rayver's acting, I think he and Sarah will make a cute couple on-screen. (Cute couple?! Haha!) *hides from charmaine who's a die hard ashlloyd fan* Mwahahaha! I love Sarah with John Lloyd but change is always good, especially in the Philippine showbiz. They'll (SG & JLC) have another movie naman next year eh. But I still don't want him (Rayver) to play as Jun Pyo. Heck! Nooo!

I didn't know that the "crush/MU" issue's been around for awhile. *shrugs* But the popsters are not liking it. (yojan=sg.com lurker :lol: ) And Mommy Divine, I'm sure, is not liking it either. :lol:

Sarah-Gerald: I read that despite the opposition of Kimerald fans, they will still do a movie next year. Hehe! As early as now, I'm already worried about Sarah's safety. Haha! I think she'll make a lot of anti-fans. Harhar.

RE:

Good Actors: Channel 2: Piolo, JLC, Sam (?), Jericho, (he's a bit OA sometimes) ............ (?)

Good Actors - Channel 7: ..... ? (feel free to add) :lol:

Guest yojan17

honestly, I like the filipino version of kim sam soon but hated the filipino version of My Girl. Sorry to My Girl fans, I just thought it was done poorly--they just did it to boost the popularity of kim and gerald. I don't think a remake of Meteor Garden will rate. The only remake that ABS-CBN has been succesful so far is the Betty La Fea remake.

Ditto! Except for the Betty La Fea remake. I never liked it. I'm actually glad it's ending soon. Bea's a good Betty but I prefer her doing dramas rather than comedy. Drama's her forte. Armando's character is weak and errrr nevahmind... I love looking at John Lloyd though. :P The best thing about the show is Patricia and to some extent, Nicholas.

Guest charmaine412

I really like Sarah and Kanto Boys to play this one but according to alot of people, they are too old for this role. *darn*

*still wishing*

Rayver?? Hmm.. He is tall.. that's all! :lol:

Guest imogene_af

^ I heard she's also doing a weekly teleserye, so weekly teleserye + TNO Philippine Concert Tour + ASAP + movie with Rayver/Toni/Vhong. :lol: Mwahaha! Good luck! The girl's working like there's no tomorrow!

Ow yeah! The NO AIR dance number with Rayver! (I also like her Disturbia & Single Ladies SOS performance) Rayver's one heck of a dancer and he can also sing (YCML + If I Were a Boy/Girl with Sarah). They're compatible pala. :D Although I have some reservations on Rayver's acting, I think he and Sarah will make a cute couple on-screen. (Cute couple?! Haha!) *hides from charmaine who's a die hard ashlloyd fan* Mwahahaha! I love Sarah with John Lloyd but change is always good, especially in the Philippine showbiz. They'll (SG & JLC) have another movie naman next year eh. But I still don't want him (Rayver) to play as Jun Pyo. Heck! Nooo!

I didn't know that the "crush/MU" issue's been around for awhile. *shrugs* But the popsters are not liking it. (yojan=sg.com lurker :lol: ) And Mommy Divine, I'm sure, is not liking it either. :lol:

Sarah-Gerald: I read that despite the opposition of Kimerald fans, they will still do a movie next year. Hehe! As early as now, I'm already worried about Sarah's safety. Haha! I think she'll make a lot of anti-fans. Harhar.

RE:

Good Actors: Channel 2: Piolo, JLC, Sam (?), Jericho, (he's a bit OA sometimes) ............ (?)

Good Actors - Channel 7: ..... ? (feel free to add) :lol:

Dennis Trillo? Mark Anthony?

I want Sarah to make a film with Richard Gutierrez, as hammy as he is ... he does well (well as in I don't have to pull my eyes out when he acts) in comedy. And it's a stamp of popularity, methinks. I really want her established.

About Rayver's acting, did you guys watch that one MMK he did when he played a jerk who got someone pregnant and he denies her in order for him to stay in school? Then goes on a downward spiral... he can actually act. The most bothersome thing about him is he's 19 and a 6 footer or whatever... but he still looks 12. And as Jessica Zafra said, he has Angelina Jolie lips. (BWAH)

I never watched Betty La Fea, I really like Bea and John Lloyd (sorry folks, ONE MORE CHANCE, ftw!) but 6 years is too much for a tandem. :lol:

"The Filipino F4, Just 'cause the Chinese one didn't richard simmons you off enough.."

.... WOW.

What does that supposed to mean?

"Just cause the Chinese one didn't richard simmons you off enough?"

Don't you know that the chinese one came out FIRST?

There is so much wrong with this statement I can't even begin.

Don't get your panties in a bunch.

A taiwanese member also reacted the exact same way as you in the first page, go read my reply to it.

And there's a difference between the Taiwanese version and the Chinese version, if you didn't know.

Funny how the taiwanese member on the first page assumed the exact same thing you did.

I guess ignorance of the Chinese version leads to extreme sensitivity for taiwanese people.

Guest korean_Fweak

err why rayver? HAHA. i don't think he can pull off the role :DD

i want Enchong in the F4. HAHAHAHAHA. :)

Archived