Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

Another LBH mention by Mark Russell, as they've met before.. probably easier for him to relate..

May 22, 2009

Local Pop Culture Facing New Challenges

By Chung Ah-young

Staff Reporter

Clockwise from top left, Korean blockbuster film“, Shiri”directed by Kang Je-gyu;

BoA of SM Entertainment; Korean TV drama “Jewel in the Palace”starring Lee Young-ae / Korea Times File Photos

Is hallyu, or Korean Wave, waning or still booming? There has been lots of talk about the sustainability of hallyu among industry insiders as the overseas success of some of Korea's TV dramas and movies seemed to have declined in recent years.

Freelance writer Mark James Russell, however, dismisses the term, hallyu. He once jokingly called it "Zombie Wave" for these worriers, arguing that there never was a Korean Wave in the first place, so it couldn't really be said to be dying or anything.

Then, what is the Korean Wave? Korean pop culture crosses many media, demographics and regions and it means very different things to different people. "I don't like the term, Korean Wave, because it is like a black box. It doesn't really explain anything. Why is something popular with older women in Japan and with younger kids in Southeast Asia and middle-aged men in America? These are very different trends and forces that are happening," Russell said in an interview with The Korea Times.

090522_p15_pop2.jpg090522_p15_pop3.jpg

Russell, author of the new book "Pop Goes Korea," said that there are a lot of negative connotations associated with Korean Wave ― shortsighted fad, poor financing and crude nationalism.

"Korea was at the forefront in Asia supplying this kind of lessons from the entertainment industries. Hong Kong is getting very aggressive in its movies, making its movies pan-Asia's blockbusters. Taiwan is trying very hard to emulate the Korean movie industries. Korea was very fortunate to be at the forefront of this change.. You have to fight and struggle to keep that cutting-edge trend," he said.

The journalist came to Korea from Canada to teach English in 1996, and worked as a correspondent for the Hollywood Reporter and Billboard. In his new book, Russell analyzes the evolution of the country's pop culture from the past to the present.

The lively-looking book with colorful images of Korean celebrities delves into various genres of pop culture and features his abundant in-depth profiles of the entertainment moguls.

He portrays the film industry and infrastructure through the story of how big corporations such as CJ Entertainment stepped into film production and multiplex-building, transforming the local cinematic landscape and the economic dynamics of producing a blockbuster, shedding light on Kang Je-gyu's big productions.

Concerning the screen quota, he said that "it is a placebo."

"At best, it was a psychological aid," he said. In his book, he argued that people buy tickets to movies they want to see; if there is nothing playing that they like, then they don't buy tickets. Forcing theaters to show movies no one wants to see does not mean more box office receipts, it only hurts the theater owners and distributions.

Instead, he said that there are a lot of things that the government can do to help make the industry stronger. "Having a strong, reliable rule of a law or having good financing.. things that you can trust.. Enforcing copyrights. The government and the film industry have to put more energy into enforcing copyright than they do for the screen quota," he said.

Japan has a protective market and strong copyright protection. DVD sales in Japan are also going down but physical sales in Japan have been strong for a long time. When it comes to Korea, everything is already full of piracy, he said. "Every street corner has tape guys and video CDs or whatever. The most important thing is creating good alternatives. I don't think you need to put all your energy into cracking down on illegal stuff … you need to put more energy into providing reliable, convenient and affordable alternatives," he said.

Also, one of the most serious problems facing Korean pop culture is the lack of historical connection, Russell argued. People buy today's hit songs but they don't buy the hits of yesterday. They flood the movie theaters, but they don't watch films at the repertory cinemas or buy DVDs.

Compared to the Japanese who love to collect, Koreans are kind of the next generation, he said. "They don't need such things as books or DVDs at home and they want to just hook up to the Internet and read it there. It's a more immediate and next generation culture," he said.

In America and Europe, movie theaters are less then half the revenue of a film. More revenue comes from all the other things ― TV and home videos. But in Korea, 80-85 percent of revenue comes from the movie theater. "Very risky and very unhealthy. People have shown that they are willing to pay for contents in many different ways," he said.

Catalog sales are essential to any country's pop culture, bringing in steady revenue streams that can tide companies over in the lean times and when big projects misfire. "That means the industry has to look at long-term development. It's not about today's hits. It's about cultivating artists and it's also making the companies more stable. Today's hits tend to be things younger people are interested in. It's limiting the market. The 35-year-olds don't watch the same movie the 25-year-olds watch and the 45-year-olds don't listen to music the 15-year-olds listen to," he said.

He also pointed out that Korean music has become less diverse. "It's easy to blame SM Entertainment or JYP. But if people start buying good music and different kinds of music, the record companies will respond," he said.

It's interesting to examine pop culture through personal profiles, such as the TV drama industry through the career of heartthrob Lee Byung-hun, the story of how Lee Soo-man of SM Entertainment produced BoA and Shinhwa and other profile stars and how internet file-sharing sites and services such as Soribada impacted the music industry and the manhwa culture.

"People find people stories and personal struggles interesting in terms of individual stories rather than the institutions ― Miky Lee from CJ Entertainment, Kang Je-gyu from blockbuster movies and Lee Soo-man rather than the music industry and Lee Byung-hun in the television industry in general and Sean Yang in Soribada," he said.

The book reveals not only the challenges of Korean pop culture but also triumphs and feats in entertainment and arts with poignant analysis and anecdotes to help the industry move in a better direction.

"The question for Korea is how will its entertainment industries respond to the new challenges and competition heading their way. Ten years is a long time to shine and doubtlessly as other entertainment industries around Asia grow and learn, they will compete more and more intensely with Korea. Contending with this rising competition may be difficult, but it is also healthy, pushing creators and creative industries in Korea and across Asia," he said.

Credits: chungay@koreakoreatimes.co.kr

Guest kniow21

I have a question ^^ XD I have read they will come to Hungary. And I want to ask if anybody knows when will they come here? (Yeah, I here in Hungary :P) I want to see him and other casts of IRIS ^^

If anybody can give me some information I would be really glad :) THANK YOU

I have a question ^^ XD I have read they will come to Hungary. And I want to ask if anybody knows when will they come here? (Yeah, I here in Hungary :P) I want to see him and other casts of IRIS ^^

If anybody can give me some information I would be really glad :) THANK YOU

Hi kniow21, welcome to EverythingLBH! So happy to see you here and what a good surprise, another fan-friend from Hungary. :D

Personally, though I've posted the THR report mentioning IRIS' Hungary filming in June.. I have no idea when and where the production will actually be in Europe. It's always bits and pieces that we get from the media updates that we put together not quite complete. However, there is another fan in Hungary who posted at the IRIS thread about the production looking for translators to assist with the filming. But he/she had no idea on the details as well. I'm not sure if it helps.. but if you have 'contacts' (for info) among the media people, tv stations, airport schedules? or even the related embassy.. maybe there could be some hints about the filming.

So far, the cast are in full mode filming in Korea but there have been updates of a foreign filming, hopefully without much delay amidst the current world (health) situation. I have a feeling June is allocated for Hungary & the European filming of IRIS.. when and where.. still no inkling. But we will keep the thread posted of any info. Anyone with more details on this.. please do not hesitate to share. ^^

I sure hope we will have some idea to grasp on.. and indeed there're more and more fans in Hungary/Turkey/ Germany anticipating the filming now.. that we really hope everything will work for all. Please don't be shy to ask & post anything.

Guest ellabel

Hi hunnies! *waves*

Finally, got my new laptop n broadband connection so hopefully, i can log from time to time. *Still mega toxic at work. * Been reading BP's and I'm happy to see an avalanche of BH pics and news on his projects.

He looks much better now, back to his old self tho u can still see the tiredness from his eyes. But, he looks coontent and happy? Better to have projects than none, right?

LBH is so handsome in suits. You dont like his wind-swept hair, ylin sis? :lol:Kimchibabe and rubes like it tho. Personally, I prefer his clean-cut hair but this hair is not bad compared to the longer style that he used to wear.

So, ICWTR is finally showing. Hmmm......it wud be sad if this movie will not be seen by many. I'm not sure about the story and the direction but it's obviously star-studed. I wonder too why it was not included in Cannes FF. I'm not sure if it will get shown in our country but i'll definitely watch if it do gets here. Good luck on the movie!

Saw the trailer of Iris and it's a WOW!!!!! :w00t: It's like the movie already. I wonder what else they will show in the movie. Will it have the same cast? I guess the drama is showing ahead of the movie, right rubes?

Hallo Ching sis!! How r u?

Hi hunnies! *waves*

Hallo Ching sis!! How r u?

Hi ella sis, I am fine, thank you. With your new laptop and broadband, hope to see you more often here. There will be lots of BH news in June. :lol::lol:

^ Totally agree with Ching up there.. hope to see Ella-hunnie more at the thread. What a cool treat.. getting a new pc laptop & broadband.. that's like highway to cyber paradise. :lol:

Saw the trailer of Iris and it's a WOW!!!!! :w00t: It's like the movie already. I wonder what else they will show in the movie. Will it have the same cast? I guess the drama is showing ahead of the movie, right rubes?

Uh-ohh.. not sure about this :huh: .. I suppose the drama would be airing first and the 2-hr movie version could probably feature a little different but compact storyline. But boohoo, of course.. BH doesn't tell rubes us anything.. :tears: .. so we have to guess pretty much about everything.. as always.

May 22, 2009: News from Abroad

By APA Staff

Tran Anh Hung casts his adaptation of Norwegian Wood, Lee Byung-hun thrills us with Iris, and Hrithik Roshan is on the fly with Kites. All this and more in the latest edition of News from Abroad.

Lee Byung-hun is IRIS, on film and TV

irisbhthrills.jpg

Lee Byung-Hun (The Good, The Bad, and The Weird) has signed on for a new television drama called IRIS, as well as an IRIS companion film. The star was noted for his role in the upcoming GI Joe film, making Lee one of the few Korean actors spotted by Hollywood. The Korean project IRIS, a triller about a spy betrayed by his agency, is to be directed by Kang Je Gyu (director of Taegukgi and Shiri), in collaboration with Taewon Entertainment. The series is set to costar Kim So Yeon, Kim Tae Hee, and Big Bang star TOP. The 20 part television series is one of the most expensive ever produced in Korea, racking up a budget of about $20 Million. Part of the high budget is a result of the shows being filmed throughout the world, including Korea, Japan, Russia and the United States. The show is set to air in September. --Frederick Stiehl

Source: asiaarts.ucla.edu

Wah! What a cool Sunday morning surprise! :lol: Mwahh to our cutiepie! :blush:

I'm almost certain it's not the same as the previous clip from YTNstar but even if it is quite similar, we welcome & appreciate every sharing. The download links especially, really mean a lot. :wub:

Keep on sharing & posting BH, everyone.. we're definitely going to be busy drooling oops discussing the sunshine-Hunnie this week onwards.. :rolleyes::D

Guest ellabel

Hi ella sis, I am fine, thank you. With your new laptop and broadband, hope to see you more often here. There will be lots of BH news in June. :lol::lol:

^ Totally agree with Ching up there.. hope to see Ella-hunnie more at the thread. What a cool treat.. getting a new pc laptop & broadband.. that's like highway to cyber paradise. :lol:

Uh-ohh.. not sure about this :huh: .. I suppose the drama would be airing first and the 2-hr movie version could probably feature a little different but compact storyline. But boohoo, of course.. BH doesn't tell rubes us anything.. :tears: .. so we have to guess pretty much about everything.. as always.

Hello my chingus! I wish that wud be true with new laptop and broadband connection but the problem is actually time. If only i dont need to earn my keep..... lol

Yeah, BH doesnt tell us everything but at least he and his PR men keep us informed. I miss the days when we can just email CP to know the latest on BH. I guess CP has a more important role now in BH Ent.

June and July wud be busy months for BH. Besides his movies and drama, he'll celebrate his bday in July, together with a few of our fave HUNnies here, right rubie sis. June is also his BFF's bday. I wonder if they will greet each other or celebrate together. What do u think, Ching sis. ;):lol:

Hello my chingus! I wish that wud be true with new laptop and broadband connection but the problem is actually time. If only i dont need to earn my keep..... lol

Yeah, BH doesnt tell us everything but at least he and his PR men keep us informed. I miss the days when we can just email CP to know the latest on BH. I guess CP has a more important role now in BH Ent.

June and July wud be busy months for BH. Besides his movies and drama, he'll celebrate his bday in July, together with a few of our fave HUNnies here, right rubie sis. June is also his BFF's bday. I wonder if they will greet each other or celebrate together. What do u think, Ching sis. ;):lol:

Ella-hunnie sistah.. most if not all LBH updates were relayed through the media & relied especially on fan-sharing, and never by his PR people at all :mellow: .. but we can still email CP any time. So far none of the messages bounced which is a good sign, huh. Who knows, he still reads them but I wouldn't count on replies anymore or maybe that's just me.. the straight-to-spam-mail-panda. :huh::lol: With a company to run for BH and their artistes.. plus lots of ventures in and out of Korea.. we're more lucky there have been continuous projects (acting or otherwise) from BH to look forward to. I've been thinking & feeling really excited for IRIS, can't wait for both drama & movie.. and ICWTR's first impression most especially, even Rise of Cobra too. Just like a kid again.. with lots of butterflies.. starting to emerge.. :lol:

My fave red-hot month.. July.. obviously :P .. BH would probably celebrate his 39th birthday with his family or special fan gathering or perhaps with IRIS (if they're filming) or ICWTR (if promoting) depending when & where he's at. If BH and CJW had a project together like when they did EHAS 5 years ago.. they probably would wish each other. But now, working away.. she has a boyfriend and our Hunnie probably has someone special with him, too.. so.. I dunno. :unsure: [ohh.. don't mind me.. always the hopeless romantic for BH.. I just like to think that he has a secret love. :P ]

nonetheless.. mf_hide.gif rubes runs from all possible panda snowballs and cannonballs..

Guest ellabel

^^Yeah, I agree that we get news from the media and fan sharing but i wud think that he also has his own PR people, especially since he has his own management co., who take care most of his press releases. Just like Hwd superstars, I wud think that BH has his own publicist. This person will issue statements on his behalf or confirm news. I'm really not sure about how Korean stars do it but sometimes news or even rumors originate from these PR ppl.

Hmmmm..... I wouldnt be too serious about CJW having a namja chingu...... the guy is now in military service and 2 yrs is 2 yrs esp. for Jiwoo who's biological clock is ticking loud already. BH has a secret love? How did you know? I didnt tell you, right? ;):P *ducks together with rubes*

Yeah, I agree that we get news from the media and fan sharing but i wud think that he also has his own PR people, especially since he has his own management co., who take care most of his press releases. Just like Hwd superstars, I wud think that BH has his own publicist. This person will issue statements on his behalf or confirm news. I'm really not sure about how Korean stars do it but sometimes news or even rumors originate from these PR ppl.

I won't disagree that BH does have his own PR people, similar to what his US agency is doing for him to get role in GI Joe, which we have to say quite a feat considering the chance being chosen over Asian-American actors. But BH & his own agency really doesn't release much press statements (of anything) unless it's absolutely necessary. Clearly press statements are usually referring to something "shocking".. most famous example is marriage announcement and quite frankly, that's the only press statement that I would want to hear from BH Ent :huh: .. because more often than not, press releases were issued to deal with negative updates, break-ups or denying some allegations, etc. However when it comes to normal news updates.. we also do not get much of anything from BH's management except through JOFC and even that's not very consistent.. again.. only when it's necessary.

I'm really not sure about how Korean stars do it but sometimes news or even rumors originate from these PR ppl.

I've never actually thought about this deeply but I must say that I no longer see the Korean entertainment industry quite the same way after watching "On Air" :P .. it could be true that the specific management would actually create rumours in order to probably prepare the fans & public of what's to come.. or to a lesser extend.. just for the publicity it garnered.

Nonetheless, when it comes to BH.. perhaps his admission in interviews (especially if it really came from his own mouth and not something distorted by the reporter) could also be taken as personal hints. But.. I'm still baffled that BH Ent seems to be keeping quiet about the THR's error on the IRIS article recently. I'm sure they are aware of it.. I don't know what happened that lead to such unnecessary error but to be wrongly mistaken over someone else.. is just sloppy job that something should be done to rectify or at least issue a correction as it occured on a hardcopy.

Hmmmm..... I wouldnt be too serious about CJW having a namja chingu...... the guy is now in military service and 2 yrs is 2 yrs esp. for Jiwoo who's biological clock is ticking loud already. BH has a secret love? How did you know? I didnt tell you, right? ;):P *ducks together with rubes*

Honestly.. I'm not too serious concerning BH-CJW relationship either. :sweatingbullets: Both are really good friends and still just that. But a secret love thingy.. it's just so mysterious that it's an added romantic charm. *rubie is in her hopeless mode obviously* :lol: Yet.. more and more, I would think that (taking cue from some of the recently announced celebrity couples) most tend to keep everything very low-profile and they would only come out together to announce their engagement to be married.. out of the blue! :o Now.. this is something for sure PR people are most capable.. that is to keep the artiste/client in their charge from unnecessary exposure until it's the right time to let the whole world know.

Whoops.. rubes rambles way too much..

May 24, 2009

'IRIS' to Bring Spy Story to Small Screen

By Han Sang-hee

Staff Reporter

090524_p14_iris.jpg

The cast of the new drama "IRIS" pose for the cameras at a press conference

held May 12 in southern Seoul. From left, Lee Byung-hun, Kim Tae-hee, Jung Jun-ho,

Kim Seung-woo, Kim So-yeon and T.O.P. / Yonhap

"IRIS" is gearing up for a new genre of drama ― espionage action. The new series, expected to air in September, has fans anticipating where it will refuel the passion for hallyu.

"IRIS" is not only based on the hit movie "Swiri" (1998), but also stars some of Korea's best-known actors.

Lee Byung-hun, Kim Tae-hee, Jung Jun-ho, Kim Seung-woo, Kim So-yeon and Big Bang member T.O.P. will appear in the "blockbuster action melodrama," and even the actors said they were worried how the drama makers will pull out all the charms from the colorful actors. "We approached 'IRIS' like it was a spy film, so viewers will get to watch movie-like scenes along with the emotional details that have made Korean drama so popular over the years at the same time," Kim Kyu-tae, the director, said.

"One of the most interesting issues here is the division of South and North Korea. It's something that the world is interested in, but we tend to avoid mentioning the issue. 'IRIS' takes place in the middle of all this, so I believe that's one of the reasons why we are receiving international recognition," fellow director Yang Yun-ho added.

The story takes place in South Korea where Kim Hyun-jun (Lee) and Jin Sa-woo (Jung) are National Security System (NSS) agents and best friends. The two fall for the same girl, fellow agent Choi Seung-hee (Kim) but Hyun-jun ignores his feelings and hopes for his friend's happiness. Things take a drastic turn when Hyun-jun is sent for a secret solo mission and he loses everything, including his friendship with Sa-woo and Seung-hee, and discovers a secret society called "IRIS."

A short documentary showed scenes of the cast and the crew shooting in Japan, one showing Lee screeching down a dam with Kim a child-actor in his arms, and this was one that Lee personally thought as one of the most memorable and terrifying. "It was perfectly safe, but the height of the dam was about 130 meters, and it apparently did make me nervous," said Lee, who is waiting for the releases of the Hollywood movies he appeared in, "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" and "I Come With The Rain."

The series was will be filmed around the world, including places where Korean dramas were never filmed before, such as Hungary, while in Japan, the crew said that they were welcomed with open arms. "I don't know how they knew, but fans were everywhere and I have never felt more grateful for their interest," Lee added.

The support was extra special, particularly in Japan, where Lee is a huge hallyu star. The Akita Prefecture supported the actors and crewmembers with free lodging throughout the shoots.

Kim Tae-hee, a top female star who returns to the small screen after four years, appeared in black mini-dress and said that she tried hard to depict the image of the smart and strong agent Choi. "I lost some weight and trained at action stunt schools with fellow actors. I actually went through many injuries during rehearsals, so I am waiting for a perfect recovery now," she said.

For the usually comical Kim Seung-woo, who plays a North Korean agent, reporters asked him how it felt to act a North Korean, and the oldest and only married actor answered with humor. "North Korean agents are very different from what people may imagine. They don't use different dialects of the Korean language, and are very handsome like me. When I saw the DVD set of the popular television series '24' at one of my friends' house, I felt a bit disappointed and sad. I want this drama to become like '24,' something that you would like to keep and watch every now and then," he said.

Boasting a budget of more than 20 billion won and produced by one of Korea's top production companies, Taewon Entertainment, "IRIS" is aiming for a new chapter in Korean dramas, hoping to attract not only local but also foreign fans as well.

"We feel great responsibility and excitement at bringing such a genre based on the world's last divided country. While men will be attracted to the action scenes, along with the friendship and revenge between fellow agents and enemies, women can connect with the emotional details between the lovely and handsome characters, torn between love and their duties," director Kim said.

"IRIS" will be aired in September on KBS2.

Credits: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

Eh, Ella sis, what is BFF? I am so blur. :blush:

I think BH and CJW are still very good friend. If you watch the VOD posted at Jiwoo thread, many pages back, during the time BH's shop opening at 9th avenue, you can see that they are very familiar with each other. The way BH looked at JW and talked to her, it's like he is very indulgent with her. Like when they were shooting BD. Wonder whether her current bf would be jealous or not. This kind of moment is not seen with Kim Tae Hee at all during the IRIS press con. In fact they had very little collaboration except taking photos together and also sitting together during the press con. I even laughed when I see KTH posting with her hands at various angle, seemed like very awkward.

sofa.gif

Guest summer0323

Eh, Ella sis, what is BFF? I am so blur. :blush:

I think BH and CJW are still very good friend. If you watch the VOD posted at Jiwoo thread, many pages back, during the time BH's shop opening at 9th avenue, you can see that they are very familiar with each other. The way BH looked at JW and talked to her, it's like he is very indulgent with her. Like when they were shooting BD. Wonder whether her current bf would be jealous or not. This kind of moment is not seen with Kim Tae Hee at all during the IRIS press con. In fact they had very little collaboration except taking photos together and also sitting together during the press con. I even laughed when I see KTH posting with her hands at various angle, seemed like very awkward.

Hi Hyc, I laughed too when I read your last sentence... I agreed with you - BH & KTH seems very uncomfortable when both sitting together. BH seldom turn to look at her.

This kind of moment is not seen with Kim Tae Hee at all during the IRIS press con. In fact they had very little collaboration except taking photos together and also sitting together during the press con. I even laughed when I see KTH posting with her hands at various angle, seemed like very awkward.

sofa.gif

Hi Hyc, I laughed too when I read your last sentence... I agreed with you - BH & KTH seems very uncomfortable when both sitting together. BH seldom turn to look at her.

Hope I'm not blowing into the wind like always.. but can't keep away from fan talks of the thread which are not that often :blush: .. both KTH and KSY are incredibly awkward around BH off-filming since the first day and they still are. Hopefully it won't affect their IRIS scenes.. at least.. they could should immerse themselves into their roles. Just as long as the series gets completed with credible chemistry than nothing at all.. off-screen interaction is probably the last concern on their minds.

It's not KTH or KSY fault though.. considering BH as well. It seems that he's more the one distancing himself (particularly at the IRIS press conference, he'd looked the other way almost all the time)..

ps: when BH and CJW acted together for the first time in BD.. for the first few episodes she'd stick with RSW instead more as they've worked really close before in 'Truth' (remember the BTS clip?) .. only at the beach scene, the BD ice melted. ^^

Wonder how BH is doing now.. still busy filming IRIS presumably but must be so excited as well since ICWTR will be premiering real soon. Is he going to Japan tomorrow or the 27th itself? :blush: How's the fans going to greet and cheer him at the Tokyo screening.. Sung-ja, Cynthia & co? Please don't forget to share everything with us hete.. pics & updates and especially the movie (without too much spoiler ^^).. tell us all, can't wait to hear about Byunghun-ssi!

Anyone with ICWTR best wishes banner / ecards that we can put up at the News blog? Every sharing is most welcomed! :wub:

iriselbh750a1.jpgiriselbh750a2.jpg

iriselbh750b1.jpgiriselbh750b2.jpg