Jeon Do-Yeon 전도연 [Drama “Crash Course in Romance” | Movie “Kill Boksoon” (NETFLIX)]

Helena

there are news released that said Jeon do Yeon new project will be " ONe Beautiful Day "directed by Lee Yun-Gi [ whose works in clude { Charming Girl, Ad Lib Night , Love Talk ) ^^ and shooting shall start in Novemeber

This is a story about a unmarried woman in her thirties .,. the movie is about a day that happen between her and her ex boyfriend . The male lead role is still in the process of casting .

==============

'칸 여왕' 전도연, 이윤기 감독 '멋진 하루' 주연 캐스팅

hj00700200709211046270.jpg

'칸의 여왕' 전도연(34)이 차기작으로 영화 '멋진 하루'(제작 스폰지·영화사 봄)를 택했다.

'멋진 하루'는 '여자, 정혜', '러브 토크' 등 전작에서 여성 캐릭터를 세심하게 빚어내는 놀라운 솜씨를 드러낸 이윤기 감독의 신작이다. 직업도 애인도 없이 서른을 넘긴 노처녀가 옛 남자친구를 만나 하룻동안 엉뚱한 모험과 미묘한 감정을 겪게 되는 이야기를 다룰 예정.

전도연은 "배우 본연의 모습으로 돌아가고 싶다. 내가 꼭 필요한 곳에서 최선을 다해 잘 할 수 있는 역할을 찾게 돼 기쁘다"며 소감을 전했다.

이윤기 감독은 "최고의 배우, 카멜레온 같은 전도연과 함께 영화를 하게 되어 정말 기쁘다. 전도연의 새로운 모습을 누구보다도 빨리 보고 싶다"며 기대감을 표했다.

전도연의 상대역인 옛 남자 친구 역의 배우는 현재 캐스팅이 진행 중이다.

<저작권자 ⓒ 한국아이닷컴, 무단전재 및 재배포 금지>

there are news released that said Jeon do Yeon new project will be " ONe Beautiful Day "directed by Lee Yun-Gi [ whose works in clude { Charming Girl, Ad Lib Night , Love Talk ) ^^ and shooting shall start in Novemeber

This is a story about a unmarried woman in her thirties .,. the movie is about a day that happen between her and her ex boyfriend . The male lead role is still in the process of casting .

Thanks for the update, Shirley.

Oooooo.. I have someone in mind for the male role :rolleyes: but it's a reaaaaally looooooooong-shot. :P

Well, can always hope.. right? Hope for the best. :D

I love 'This Charming Girl.' ^^ A Fine Day sounds awesome.

September 21, 2007

Jeon Do-yeon to Star in New Film

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

jeondoys3.jpg

Actress Jeon Do-yeon

Jeon Do-yeon, the most high profile actress here since being crowned Best Actress at the Cannes International Film Festival in May, will star in Lee Yoon-ki's forthcoming piece "Meotjin Haru" (A Fine Day), Bom Film Productions announced Friday.

Jeon won the prestigious award for her portrayal of a traumatized woman in Lee Chang-dong's "Secret Sunshine" (2007). For her 11th film, the 34-year-old has chosen the role of a jobless, lover-less woman in her 30s who spends a strange day with her ex-boyfriend. The male lead is yet to be cast.

Director Lee is well known for his critically acclaimed piece "This Charming Girl" (2005).

"I am happy to be able to work with the chameleon-like actress,'' Lee was quoted as saying according to Bom Film Productions, which also produced Jeon's previous works "Untold Scandal" (2003) and "You are My Sunshine" (2005).

"Meotjin Haru" is scheduled to go into production this November for release early next year.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/speci.../178_10674.html

• 2 weeks later...

October 3, 2007

Cannes winner takes her next step

02215906.jpg

Jeon Do-yeon

What’s next? This was the question Jeon Do-yeon has faced since she won the best actress award at the Cannes International Film Festival in May for her performance in “Milyang,” or “Secret Sunshine,” directed by Lee Chang-dong. But after a months-long wait, fans will be glad to hear that Jeon’s next film will be “Meotjin Haru” (or “One Fine Day”) to be directed by Lee Yoon-ki.

Jeon is to star as an unemployed spinster. One day, she meets up with her ex-boyfriend and spends a day full of adventure with subtle shades of feelings. Director Lee has been a darling of international film festivals with films like “This Charming Girl” (2004) and “Love Talk” (2005), which provided a sophisticated, warm look at female sensibilities. Jeon’s male counterpart in the new film has yet to be decided. The movie is slated to start filming next month and open early next year.

The first Korean actress to win the award at Cannes, Jeon has cemented her fame at home with versatile performances, from a naive teenager in “The Harmonium in My Memory” to a housewife in a fatal affair in “Happy End.”

Jeon, meanwhile, received another award from the Asia Producers Network at its launch conference yesterday. The network aims to foster cooperation among Asian film producers, and more than 40 producers from seven Asian countries attended the launch conference.

By Chun Su-jin

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2881026

October 2, 2007

JEON Do-yeon Selects Next Project

Top Korean actress JEON Do-yeon has chosen her next project amidst a flood of offers following her win earlier this year at the Cannes film festival. Acclaimed at home for taking on many diverse and challenging roles, she recently catapulted into the international spotlight with her Cannes Best Actress win for her powerful performance as a traumatized mother in LEE Chang-dong’s Secret Sunshine.

JEON will take the lead role in Meotjin Haroo (A Fine Day), the fourth feature from talented director LEE Yoon-ki. LEE made his impressive debut at the Pusan International Film Festival in 2004, winning the New Currents award for This Charming Girl. He followed with Love Talks (2005), filmed in LA, and Ad Lib Night (2006) which screened at the Berlinale this year.

A Fine Day will be a drama concerning a thirty-something woman, both jobless and single, who spends a strange day with her ex-boyfriend. JEON will star as the female lead while no actor has yet been announced for the male role. b.o.m. Film Productions is the producer, along with help from Sponge. b.o.m. also produced JEON’s previous films Untold Scandal (2003) and You Are My Sunshine (2005). Shooting is to begin in November 2007.

Nigel D'Sa (KOFIC)

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/KOFIC/Channel?...Gesimul_SNO=798

October 3, 2007

Secret Sunshine Contender at 1st Asia Pacific Screen Awards

The Asia Pacific Screen Awards nominated LEE Chang-dong’s Secret Sunshine three times; the film competes for the awards: Best Feature Film, Best Screenplay, and Best Actress (JEON Do-youn). Promising actor RYU Deok-hwan is nominated for the Best Actor award for his role in Like a Virgin.

Secret Sunshine distinguished itself at this year’s Cannes International Film Festival and it culminated in the Best Actress award for JEON. RYU already collected a number of Best New Actor awards for his performance in Like a Virgin. He was part of this year’s JANG Jin film My Son alongside CHA Seung-won.

The Asia Pacific Screen Awards’ goal is to celebrate cinematic diversity and to highlight cinema from the Asia-Pacific region. The inauguration of the award show will take place on November 13, will be held at Australia’s Gold Coast, and is initiated by the Queensland government with the support of CNN International, UNESCO, and International Federation of Film Producers Associations (FIAPF).

Yi Ch'ang-ho (KOFIC)

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/KOFIC/Channel?...Gesimul_SNO=803

Guest kdramafanusa

Jeon, meanwhile, received another award from the Asia Producers Network at its launch conference yesterday. The network aims to foster cooperation among Asian film producers, and more than 40 producers from seven Asian countries attended the launch conference.

[10/2/2007] Actress Jeon Do-yeon was given Asian Movie Artist Award from Asia Producers Network (APN).

638819512173823485.jpg

499707431665488355.jpg

[photos=chosun]

PYH2007100210030099000_P2.jpg

[photo=YonhapNews]

Grand Slam at Cannes/Venice/Berlin (world’s 3 prestigious film festivals)

Kang Soo-yeon - Best Actress at 1987 Venice Film Festival for [surrogate Womb]

Moon So-ri - Best New Performer at 2002 Venice Film Festival for [Oasis]

Jeon Do-yeon - Best Actress at 2007 Cannes Film Festival for [secret Sunshine]

All of them will be at the 12th Pusan International Film Festival.

Moon So-ri and director Jang Jun-hwan (her husband) host the opening ceremony. Jeon Do-yeon and Kang Soo-yeon will be featured in Open Talk.

1191159614465_29722.jpg

[photo=Newsen/ent.tom.com]

10-06 Sat.

World Actors' Open Talk-KANG Soo-yeon,JEON Do-yeon

PIFF Village Outdoor Stage

(schedule from www.piff.org)

10-06 Sat.

World Actors' Open Talk-KANG Soo-yeon,JEON Do-yeon

PIFF Village Outdoor Stage

(schedule from www.piff.org)

:)

200710061932521003_1.jpg

20071006200402.118.0.jpg

200710061906391003_1.jpg

200710061906391003_2.jpg

2007년 10월 6일 (토) 20:13 뉴시스

강수연·전도연, 그녀들이 곧 영화다

20071006201306.535.0.jpg

【부산=뉴시스】

“칸 영화제에서 여우주연상 수상하는 전도연을 보면서 눈물을 흘렸다.”

6일 저녁 부산 해운대 PIFF 빌리지 야외무대에서 영화배우 강수연(41)과 전도연(34)이 관객들과 대화했다.

임권택(71) 감독의 ‘씨받이’로 1987년 베니스영화제에서 여우주연상을 수상한 강수연은 “전도연의 수상이 유력하다는 소식을 접하고 생중계로 시상식을 봤다”며 “여우주연상을 수상하는 순간 눈물을 흘렸다. 내가 수상할 당시보다도 더욱 기쁘게 생각됐다”고 밝혔다.

전도연의 연기를 놓고는 “정말 질투가 난다. 자신만이 소화할 수 있는 연기를 한다. 솔직히 내가 도저히 흉내낼 수 없는 색깔이 있는 것 같다”고 칭찬했다.

20년 전 자신이 상을 받을 때를 회상하기도 했다. “당시 우리나라 영화는 해외에 알려진 것이 없었다. 한국에서 영화를 찍는 것도 잘 모르는 사람이 많았다. 심지어는 ‘북한 사람이냐’는 질문을 받기도 했다. 많은 사람들의 노력 덕분에 지금의 한국영화와 부산국제영화제가 있게 된 것 같다.”

강수연 곁에 앉은 전도연은 “어렸을 때부터 (강수연의) 팬이었다”며 “사인을 받으려 갔지만 받지 못했던 기억이 난다”고 회고했다.

‘밀양’으로 칸영화제 여우주연상을 따내면서 느꼈던 감정도 털어놓았다. “솔직히 기죽지 않으려고 더 당당한 척 했다. 꿇리지 않으려 당당한 척 하는 모습을 보고 사람들이 대단하다고 생각했다. 수상 당시 외신기자들이 ‘전도연’이라는 배우를 잘 몰라 유명세와 티켓 파워에 끊임없이 의문을 가졌던 것으로 기억된다.”

행사 말미 두 배우는 “영화는 자신의 전부”라고 선언, 관객들의 박수갈채를 받았다.

강수연은 “배우이자 열광적인 관객이다. 영화는 나의 꿈이다. 길몽일 수도 악몽일 수도 있다. 꿈에서 깨어나지 않는다”고 발언, 탄성을 자아내기도 했다.

전도연도 “아직도 영화에 대해 잘은 모르지만 항상 내 삶의 가장 큰 부분을 차지하고 있다”며 “항상 영화를 통해 내 존재감을 확인하고 있다”고 강조했다.

미리 와있던 강수연보다 10분 정도 늦게 참석한 전도연은 관객들의 함성에 잠시 포즈를 취하며 사진촬영을 할 수 있도록 배려했다.

1시간여 동안 계속된 오픈토크는 관객 1000여명이 경청했다.

<관련사진 있음>

이승영기자 sylee@newsis.com

<저작권자ⓒ '한국언론 뉴스허브' 뉴시스통신사. 무단전재-재배포 금지.>

http://news.media.daum.net/entertain/movie.../v18369822.html

=========

2007년 10월 6일 (토) 20:06 이데일리

[PIFF 피플]강수연 전도연 오픈토크 행사에 몰린 국내외 영화팬

20071006200702.548.0.jpg

▲ 강수연-전도연의 오픈토크 행사

[해운대(부산)=이데일리 SPN 김정욱기자] 월드스타 강수연-전도연의 오픈토크가 6일 오후 6시 부산 해운대 빈폴 에비뉴에서 진행됐다.

20071006200702.548.1.jpg

▲ 강수연-전도연을 보기 위해 몰린 관객들

20071006200702.548.2.jpg

▲ 오픈토크가 열린 해운대 빈폴 에비뉴 현장

저작권자ⓒ 함께 만들고 함께 즐기는 엔터테인먼트 포털, ‘이데일리 SPN’

- 당사의 기사를 사전 동의 없이 링크, 전재하거나 배포하실 수 없습니다 -

October 9, 2007

Jang, Jeon to Appear on CNN Talk Show

071009ent2lx9.jpg

Actor Jang Dong-gun and actress Jeon Do-yeon will be introduced on CNN as the leading Korean film stars.

The news channel will for nine days (Oct. 13-21) highlight Korea's global content and its status in the world. The two will appear on the CNN talk show <Talk Asia>.

The program's PR official said, "Jang and Jeon have finished recording. They talked about their international recognition and future plans."

Jang's interview will air on the morning of Oct. 13 and at midnight of 14. Jeon's will also air twice, in the morning and afternoon of the 14th. Golfer Choi Kyung-ju and animator Nelson Shin also appear on the talk show.

A CNN official said, "All interviews will air through CNN International from Oct. 13 to 21. It will be an opportunity to give a different perspective on Korea to the 220 million CNN viewing households around the world."

Source: KBS Global

http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/new...2860_11858.html

Guest kdramafanusa

from VARIETY

Asian Film Leaders Report '07

Asian filmmakers leading the charge and making an impact on the local and international film scenes.

Tony Leung, Jeon Do-Yeon

Actors

By JUSTIN CHANG

Posted: Fri., Oct. 5, 2007, 6:21pm PT

JeonDoYeon_125.jpgTonyLeung_125.jpg

Jeon Do-yeon, Tony Leung Chiu-wai

Tony Leung Chiu-wai has been on an unusually cruel streak of late. Having played a ruthless lady-killer in Wong Kar Wai's "2046," the Hong Kong superstar with the iconic eyebrows gets even nastier in Ang Lee's period drama "Lust, Caution," in which he becomes Mr. Yee, a Chinese government official bent on crushing the resistance movement of his own people.

Few thesps radiate as much old-fashioned movie-star glamour as Leung (whose good looks and suave demeanor recall Clark Gable in his prime), and even fewer are capable of projecting Leung's quiet, wounded dignity, whether as a disillusioned lover in Wong's "Happy Together" or as a cop with a soul-killing secret in "Infernal Affairs."

Working with Lee on "Lust, Caution" reps a very tentative step in the direction of Hollywood; whether or not he continues down that particular road should have little bearing on this actor's legacy.

Leung's established stardom is a contrast to a rising distaff talent from Korea. Few were surprised when South Korea's Jeon Do-yeon won acting honors at Cannes for her lacerating performance in Lee Chang-dong's "Secret Sunshine."

Playing a grieving mother, Jeon takes viewers on an emotional odyssey that is at once psychologically plausible, wholly sympathetic and genuinely frightening. You'd have to go back to Lars von Trier's work with Emily Watson and Bjork to see the depths of female spiritual agony plumbed so exhaustively.

If early pics like "My Mother the Mermaid" and "No Blood No Tears" established Jeon's range, her emotionally ravaged turns in Lee Jae-yong's "Untold Scandal" and now "Secret Sunshine" reveal a powerhouse talent for suffering, exquisitely. It helps that Jeon has one of the most malleable faces to grace the screen in years, the kind that can flood with hope one moment, then crumple into a hundred pieces the next.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117973546.html

========================================

from VARIETY

Variety honors Asian film leaders

Actress Jeon Do-yeon, executives attend luncheon

By PATRICK FRATER

Posted: Mon., Oct. 8, 2007, 12:53pm PT

In a first for the Pusan festival, Variety on Monday hosted a celebratory lunch for those honored in the publication's Asian Film Leaders Report (click here to see report).

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=fe...res&id=2723

In attendance were Fortissimo Film's Wouter Barendrecht, Singapore Media Development Authority's Man Shu-sum, Sidus FNH's Tcha Seung-jai and CJ Entertainment's Kim Joo-sung. Gilbert Lim also attended the sit-down at the Paradise Hotel, standing in for Sahamongkolfilm topper Somsak Techaratanaprasert.

Bringing some star wattage to proceedings was Korean thesp Jeon Do-yeon, who picked up the actress prize in Cannes for her role in "Secret Sunshine." Seems the paper is a big fan. Nomination is the second time in only a couple of months that she has received kudos from Variety. In July she was named in the global Women's Impact Report (Variety, July 30)

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111796927...d=2160&cs=1

Talk, inevitably, revolved around the fest's parties, forthcoming lineups from CJ and Sidus, and the glittering opportunities Jeon now has to choose from. In the serious corner, discussions covered production coin, new tech's influence on movie content choices and Korea's role in the movie world.

Conversation topics also touched on Asian countries changing approaches to relations with China, now that the country is expanding in cinematic and economic firepower.

Leaders met with Variety's senior film critic, Derek Elley; director of international ad sales Alberto Lopez; advertising manager Lorna Tee; and Variety Asia web editor Vicci Ho.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117973637.html

Guest kdramafanusa

from CNN

Jeon Do-yeon on Talk Asia

art.jeondoyeon.cnn.jpgart.jeondoyeon3.cnn.jpg

art.jeondoyeon2.cnn.jpg

South Korean actress Jeon Do-yeon chats with Talk Asia's Anjali Rao.

Jeon Do-yeon won the Best Actress prize at this year's Cannes Film Festival for her performance in the South Korean film "Secret Sunshine." Celebrated in her native South Korea for her roles in melodramatic soap operas and independent films, Jeon is the first Asian to win this prestigious prize. South Korea's most famous actress joins Talk Asia to discuss her rise into renown and takes a stroll around the cultural neighborhood of Daehango in Seoul with host Anjali Rao.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/10/0...yeon/index.html

* Actually, Jeon Do-yeon isn't the first Asian to win acting award at Cannes. Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung won for "In the Mood for Love" and "Clean", respectively.

Guest kdramafanusa

from The Seoul Times (http://theseoultimes.com/ST/?url=/ST/db/read.php?idx=5765)

Actress Jeon Do-Yeon to Be on CNN's Talk Asia

[picture]

South Korean actress Jeon Do-Yeon, winner of 2007 Cannes Film Festival's best actress prize

South Korean actress Jeon Do-Yeon, winner of 2007 Cannes Film Festival's best actress prize, will appear on CNN on Oct. 13, 2007, according to CNN. The 35-year-old actress will be interviewed by CNN's Anjali Rao on CNN's Talk Asia program. The follwing are the airtimes and the full-text of the interview story.

Airtimes:

Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Singapore & Taipei

Saturday, Oct 13 at 0730 & 2100

Bangkok & Jakarta

Saturday, Oct 13 at 0630 & 2000

CNN must be credited when using any quotes from this interview

Note: This is a rush transcript. This copy may not be in its final form and may be updated.

R: Anjali Rao

J: Jeon Do-Yeon

R: Let's start with the best actress prize which you won this year at the Cannes Film Festival. What's it like being the first Korean ever to win such a prestigious award?

J: First of all, I wasn't really able to think about the significance of myself being the first Korean or the first Asian to win such a significant prize. However now, thinking about it, I do think it's more important that more female, more actresses, regardless of whether they're western or Asian actresses, that they win prizes at this prestigious film festival. And thinking about it now, I do feel quite proud about it and also feel like I have to put on a better performance now.

R: How important are international events such as Cannes in determining an actor's career do you think?

J: Regardless of whether I realize the impact or the importance of it or not I feel I see the significance of the award reflected in things such as being selected as one of the 50 most influential females such as in Variety. But I do definitely believe that for an actress, awards such as this do widen the variety of movies that I can chose from.

R: What do you think your win at Cannes means for the South Korean film industry in general?

J: Personally, I do wish that it has a great impact on the Korean film industry because I didn't have much experience with international film festivals. I personally heard that the film festivals are usually centered around directors. By me winning this prize as a Korean and female actress, I heard that this becomes one of the turning points that film festivals, the focus of them shifts also towards actors and actresses.

R: You won for your role in Secret Sunshine. Did you ever anticipate its success?

J: To tell you the truth, the director of the film, Lee Chang-dong, is not greatly loved by the public and his films are not mainstream but I did feel that while I was starring in the film, we did joke around, saying that this is probably going to be one of the most popular films among all of Lee Chang-dong's films. And I'm very glad that by winning this prize it did receive a lot of interest from the public, and as an actress I feel very proud and honored about it.

R: Still though you weren't entirely convinced, were you, that your role in Secret Sunshine was right for you. What were your doubts about it?

J: I usually decide whether I'm going to star in a film or not based on how much I understand the scenario, not necessarily how much I understand the character of the film. In this case, it also depends on whether I'm emotionally drawn towards the story itself. In the case of Secret Sunshine, because it was something that I had never experienced before, I doubted myself and the story whether a person can actually experience those kinds of emotions. So it was difficult for me to decide, despite the fact that I had been interested for a very long time to work with director Lee Chang-dong. The difficult thing for me was because I didn't trust entirely in the story itself. I doubted whether as an actress I could actually convey the story to the public or not.

R: I guess it must have all been worth it in the end, I guess, once you've been to Cannes. But most accounts say you went through hell filming this. Is that true?

J: Of course I have to say working on the site wasn't easy. I would probably have to say it was one of the most difficult shoots of my life. And I believe the memories would probably go with me forever. It was difficult because it was very rough for me to fully understand the character and also to understand the situation in which the character was in. In those kinds of cases, usually actors or actresses would have to rely on the director, but the director of this film didn't really give me straight forward answers so that was very difficult for me and I was actually resentful towards to him. I sometimes, was disappointed in myself because I felt like I could not come up with the emotions that the character was actually going through in the story. And whether I realized it at that time or not, looking back on it now, I do believe that those kinds of struggles made me grow more as an actress.

R: You've also just been named as one of the 50 most influential women by Variety magazine which is quite a feat in itself, and on that list there are only four actresses among them Angelina Jolie and also Helen Mirren. What's it like for you to see your name alongside these huge stars?

J: After I heard about that, I received a lot of phone calls from people congratulating me and I got to think about what kind of impact I may have possibly had. But I actually thought, to put it quite simply, I just thought, wow, Angelina Jolie. And I wondered if she had seen my photo, if she had heard about me. And so that was pretty much it, I just felt good about it.

R: So starting at the beginning, you entered the film industry totally by accident. Tell us how that came about?

J: Personally, when I first started out on television, I thought that was the only world that existed out there. But thinking about it now after experiencing the film industry, I think soap operas are rushed. There's no time for the actors and actresses to think about what they're doing or the characters while filming soap operas. In my case, when I was starring in a soap opera, I also filmed mini-series, it's a different form of soap. For this case, the actors, actresses always have to be on their feet, they're always busy, there's not enough time to think about things. So for people who like to really think over the characters it's really quite tough. In the case of films, there's a lot of time for preparation, and a lot of communication channels with the directors. So that's the greatest difference with soap operas. But the merit of doing soap operas is that your work gets shown at faster speed and easily reachable to the audience.

R: So as you were saying, your first feature film was The Contact which propelled you to instant stardom. What are your recollections of your big screen debut?

J: Looking back on it now, I think that it was a very difficult experience for me as an actress, It was my first film. The other actor was already a very well established star in the industry and the director didn't really fully trust my capabilities as an actress. He continuously had doubts about me. It was a very difficult situation. But because I was still young and naïve, and I didn't like to think about things too much or over think things, I think I just tried to be as positive as possible and I was able to do so and I'm very grateful that I was that way at that time. I just laughed and smiled through all the situations at that time.

R: So melodramas in which you starred, such as Contact and also Promise, got you dubbed the Queen of Tears. What do you make of that label?

J: I guess it was good. I felt good about it because whether it's a melodrama or not, it means that it was well received by the public. And in whatever form, whether I be called the queen of tears or whatever it was, it felt good to be in the center of things. People usually like to title or label people such as the queen of tears or Korea's best actress or whatever it may be, but I think what's more important than any title is the fact that I'm in the center of things. Not to say that being in the middle of everything is always good, but I believe as an actress it's very important to go with the flow.

R: In 2005, you starred in "You Are My Sunshine" as an HIV infected bar girl, that must have been an incredibly tough part to play.

J: Any role compared to "Shine" in Secret Sunshine, compared to that is nothing close to being difficult. "You're My Sunshine" was one of the happiest times of my acting career because the character was someone that was loved by everybody. Although you could say from the outside that the character was going through some of the roughest things in her life and seemingly tragic but at the same time, I thought that she was probably one of the happiest people in the world. So in that sense it was a very enjoyable experience for me.

R: Do you think that there's something to be said for commentators who look at the South Korean film industry and say that it's sexist?

J: I don't really think so. I've never really felt that way about the scenarios. Whether the director writes it or a writer writes it out, I think because scenarios are always a reflection of society itself. In some form it will show how society feels about women and not necessarily that the scenario plays on sexism. But I also do think that through this, by watching the movie, the public does get to see a slice of the way that people perceive women.

R: So you've now got rather a wide body of work under your bed, and along with that comes a lot of celebrities. How do you deal with fame given this was not the path you've been intending to go down?

J: Whenever I watch television, I always wonder how Hollywood stars manage with their privacy always being invaded in such a way. As a public figure, I just think that it's important to perform, to try my very best in my own field and live up to my responsibilities in that area. If I have to put on my best performance in every single moment even off the set, I think it would be very difficult for me because it would mean that my personal life would become like my work. I think it's ok for people to make mistakes, and I don't try to be perfect because I'm a human being. I think that actually benefits my work because it makes me a much more natural person and outside of my work I try not to think that I have to be a great public figure or a great actress because by doing that I think I'm able to use that extra energy and put it into my work to put on a better performance.

R: So, how easy is it for you to be able to come out into public like this and to just walk down the road?

J: I quite like walking and seeing people in the street. My style is that I don't really mind too much about people looking at me.

R: So, since you've become a public figure…since you've been in the public eye, does that mean that you still get to go to the supermarket and do your own shopping and go to the drycleaner's and pick up your own clothes or do you have somebody to do that for you?

J: I usually do all that myself, and because I come across as being comfortable being out in public. People feel comfortable about that as well and just greet me naturally. At times at a shop they may give me more than I asked for so I am getting a lot of benefit.

R: I guess it would be a lot worse if you were living somewhere like Hollywood right? Has that got any appeal for you?

J: I have never thought of starting out in Hollywood. I think it's probably the same as when people watch movies, they look at this different world inside on the screen, and they think, wow, that's a different world, that's an interesting world. I kind of feel the same way about Hollywood.

R: What do you think about the state of the South Korean film industry at the moment, because a lot of people say, it's in a crisis, it's all going downhill like in the 1990s, do you think it is? Because a lot of people say, you know, it's not that bad yet, you yourself have had quite a hand in rescuing things.

J: I would be quite honored if I could anyway help the industry however small the effort. A lot of people do say it's a rough time for the industry, but I think it's the same as when a child is growing up, he or she has to go through a lot of difficulties and pain to mature. It's good be optimistic instead. And I think the current state of the Korean film industry is probably in the same situation.

R: We all know that relationships in Hollywood don't last, it's very sad but it's just very, very fickle. You have an extremely happy marriage, how do you make it work?

J: Just four months

R: Four good months. Anyway, that's longer than most Hollywood relationships last

J: Pretty much it's important to make the best effort in any kind of situation, For instance, whatever the relationship is be it love or work, if one is demanding and self-centered the relationship won't last long, Again, what is important is whatever the relationship is if one can put effort to compromise and be understanding it definitely helps.

R: So what does your husband think about all the attention that you get?

J: We are happy about it and enjoy it together. He takes pride in being part of my life.

R: Aw, that's very sweet. But I mean, when fans try to contact you as I assume they do, does he have no problem with it?

J: I'm always very grateful, thankful to my fans, and I think it's because of their support that I'm able to be in this position right now. But I do believe that the only way I can pay back is through my performance in films rather than saying a hundred sweet thank yous.

R: Well, as we've been walking along, we've been collecting up a following of your fans, they've been all around here, waiting for you when we're finished with this interview so that you can sign some autographs or something. So let me just ask you this in finishing, what's the next step for you professionally?

J: It's always been pretty much been the same, I think, because that's the only way I can pay back is to make through good films, and that's what I always strive to do, and my hope and dreams.

R: Perfect, thank you very very much

J: Thank you

The above article is from CNN.

from The Seoul Times (http://theseoultimes.com/ST/?url=/ST/db/read.php?idx=5765)

Actress Jeon Do-Yeon to Be on CNN's Talk Asia

thanks for this . sign i think i got the dates mixed up so i caught the wrong interview ~ .never mind i wait for CNN to upload it to their site or something .it nice to be able to read the transcript :)

Guest kdramafanusa

Bernard Arnault (LVMH chairman & CEO) & Jeon Do-yeon

U1343P28T3D1763218F326DT20071025100329.jpg

[pic=StarNews/ent.sina.com]

Fendi Conquers the Wall

http://www.wwd.com/search/article/119729

-------------------------------------------------

The Korea Times 10-22-2007 21:31

10 Influential Women on the Cultural Scene (1950-2007)

Jeon Do-yeon

071022_p05_10.jpg

The 34-year-old has emerged as one of the most high profile stars in Asia after being crowned Best Actress at the 2007 Cannes Film Festival ― a first for a Korean. She is much loved for her chameleon-like acting, playing multifaceted roles ranging from an AIDS-stricken prostitute to a traumatized widow in “Secret Sunshine,” which won her the prestigious French award. She has recently appeared on CNN’s weeklong special report on Korea “Eye on Asia” along with Korea’s heartthrob Jang Dongkun.

http://koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2007/10/201_12356.html

-------------------------------------------------

KBS WORLD 2007-10-26

"Milyang" Finds Success at French Box Office

e071026_01.jpg

The critically-acclaimed Lee Chang Dong-directed film "Milyang/Secret Sunshine" broke records by placing 7th at the French box office.

According to the French box office, the Korean film placed 7th out of 17 films currently being shown in French theaters.

"Milyang" won rave reviews at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year, with Jeon Do-Yeon even snagging the Best Actress Award.

In light of the fact that the film was only shown in 58 theaters, the film's achievement at the box office is even more impressive. "Milyang" went up against Hollywood blockbusters like "Rush Hour 3" (shown in 452 theaters), "Michael Clayton" (shown in 291 theaters) and "Invasion" (shown in 226 theaters).

• 4 weeks later...

Tuesday, 13 November 2007

"Secret Sunshine" radiates at Asia Pacific Screen Awards

Written by Patrick Frater

The South Korean film industry claimed victory at the inaugural Asia-Pacific Screen Awards with the Lee Chang-dong-helmed drama "Secret Sunshine" claiming the best movie prize. Pic's star Jeon Do-yeon was named best actress.

Other prizes were more evenly spread around the massive region which according to UNESCO definition extends from Turkey in the West to the Cook Islands in the West.

Indian multi-hyphenate Feroz Abbas Khan won the best screenplay award for script of "Gandhi My Father," while Iranian co-helmers Rakhshan Bani-Etemad and Mohsen Abdolvahab took home the directing prize with their "Mainline" (Khoonbazi.) Turkish thesp Erkan Can was named best actor for role in "Takva: A Man's Fear of God."

APSA jury was headed by Indian actress Shabana Azmi alongside Kim Dong-ho, director of Korea’s Pusan International Film Festival, Iranian director Jafar Panahi, UK producer Nik Powell and Chinese filmmaker Tian Zhuangzhuang.

Event backed by Queensland Events in collaboration with CNN International, UNESCO and International film producers' federation FIAPF was held in Australia's Gold Coast.

Jeon picked up the same prize in Cannes where the film bowed and has twice been named in Variety's "achievement" lists.

Asia Pacific Screen Awards 2007 Winners List

Best Feature Film

"Secret Sunshine" (Miryang) Lee Chang-dong (South Korea.)

Best Performance by an Actress

Jeon Do-yeon in "Secret Sunshine" (South Korea.)

Best Performance by an Actor

Erkan Can in "Takva: A Man's Fear of God" (Turkey)

Best Achievement in Directing

Rakhshan Bani-Etemad and Mohsen Abdolvahab for "Mainline" (Khoonbazi) (Iran)

Best Children’s Feature Film

"Denias, Singing on the Cloud" (Denias, Senandung di Atas Awan) (Indonesia)

Best Animated Feature Film

"5 Centimeters per Second" (Byosoku 5 Centimeters) (Japan.)

Best Documentary Feature Film

"Beirut Diaries: Truth, Lies and Videos" Mai Masri (Lebanon.)

Best Screenplay

Feroz Abbas Khan for "Gandhi My Father" (India)

Best Achievement in Cinematography

Hooman Behmanesh for "Those Three" (An seh) (Iran)

The FIAPF Award for outstanding achievement in film in the Asia-Pacific region:

Dr George Miller.

The UNESCO Award for outstanding contribution to the promotion and preservation of cultural diversity through film:

"The Band's Visit" (Bikur Hatizmoret) (Israel)

Jury Grand Prize

"Night Bus" (Autobus e Shab) Kiumars Pourahmad (Iran)

Source: http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/4943/53/

November 14, 2007

Jeon Do-Yeon Wins Best Actress Award at Asia Pacific Screen Awards

071114ent2ys5.jpg

Actress Jeon Do-yeon, who received the Best Actress Award at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year, has once again received a Best Actress Award, this time at the Asia Pacific Screen Awards.

The Asia Pacific Screen Awards, which celebrates films from the Asia Pacific region, was held for the first time this year in Gold Coast, Australia.

Ceremony organizers said Jeon defeated other strong candidates and received the award for Best Actress following a unanimous vote by a panel of judges. They added that the award has solidified her status as one of the leading actresses in the Asia Pacific region.

Jeon, who did not attend the ceremony due to film shooting, said she was very happy to be the recipient of the award and thanked the judges. She promised to work harder to improve her skills as an actor and make more quality films in the future.

The Asia Pacific Screen Awards will be broadcast around the world, including North America and Europe, on November 17.

Source: KBS Global

http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/new...9615_11858.html

• 2 weeks later...