Do you ever get your ETHNICITY mistaken...?

Guest eminemjamesuk

Guest Linh_Linh

Valnity: you could pass for viet bc of your eyes and skin color. however, you have the exact same nose my chinese friend does. hehe.

i'm full viet, but i get a variety of things. most non-asians will guess chinese, japanese, korean, filipino, indian, mixed, and hispanic (in that order) until they finally give up and say "ok, what are you? i know for a fact ur not black." hahah. then chinese ppl will think i'm chinese while 50% of viets think i'm viet and the other 50% think i'm something else. and yea, it's just screwed up. i think it's my eyes. white ppl say i have "white ppl eyes."

i spent my entire kindergarten and first grade years with hispanic written down as my race. although i didn't know what the word hispanic meant, i told my teacher i was something that started with an A (asian), but noooo she insisted that i was hispanic and that my last name (nguyen) was really pronounced (new-jin). ~sigh~ ignorant white teacher.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest zombie_milk

i'm mostly white, but i'm also part asian,

and to some people it doesnt show at all, but to others it shows alot o__o

some people think that i'm half asian lol

one of my friends said that she thought i was half korean

and ive been asked many times if i'm half asian ^^''..

Guest WendiiV

OMG YES!!!

For once, I wish I coudl here someone say I look Hispanic...because i'm 100%. But no, I get everything but. People think I look Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, or Native American. Or a mix of those things.

I do not look asian at all! The world must be blind! lol. Honestly, I was okay with it before 'casue i was just like "okay, so i'm unique lookign for a hispanic" but now it's getting tiring. I wish people would try to get it a bit more accurate

Guest Linh_Linh

^^ at least they were really close. can't blame ppl for not knowing the exact percentage

Guest Chocopie.

Well I'm mixed, so i think i look mixed O_O.

I been mistaken for:

- Full Chinese

- Japanese from non-asians. But I look nothing like Japanese people.

- Full Viet

- Asian mixed with Caucasian

and a "Your not asian" comment which was really rude.

Guest chocopocky

I normally get mistaken for Japanese or Korean..

but I don't think I look.. I've always thought that I was more Vietnamese.. which I am. :P

Guest EmpsTreenee

hahaha i look vietnamese. but yea. people assume anyone walking around whos asian to be chinese japanese or korean. i dont really blame them.

Guest Straznmx

I am half korean and half mexican mix(with a lot of spanish blood). But no one ever gets my mix right.

Most common asked: Spanish, Mexican, Hawaiian, Native American(which is weird b/c I am pretty light skinned), Persion, Egyption, and Indian.

Once I got asked if I was filpino, but I think that was because i was hanging around a lot of them at the time.

Guest INSANE

sorry if this was posted already ; feel free to close .

+ apologizing if in the wrong section .

so basically , do you look like what your ethnicity is ?

like I'm Filipino, but when people see me they would ask

if i was chinese or japanese or korean.

when they would finishing guessing and ask what i was,

they would be in disbelief when i told them what i actually was

and they would go on and on about how i don't look like it and it

kinda bothers me sometimes.

and so i just wanted to see who else went/goes through the same thing as me :P

i'm 100% filipino too! and i get vietnamese a lot! even viet people think i'm viet. which is weird O.o lol. i think it's because i have pale/white skin for a filipino. but i still have the filipino nose O.o but after a while, i'm just like.. whateva. LOL

Guest ji-hae

i get Chinese and Vietnamese a lot. Since I've started college, I've gotten Korean a lot. I've gotten half white, mixed asian, Filipino, Thai, Hawaiian, Japanese, whatever people can guess. =/ My skin tone and hair style makes me look different

Guest woei

i am a pure chinese but the koreans seems to mistaken me as one of them....i mean i dont look like korean at all....i think i look like a chinese more

Guest JOONIE.su

Naturally, I think I look Thai because of my facial features such as my eyes....but because my hair and style makes me look 'Japanese' as many like to tell me, they never believe that I'm Thai.

Guest CuteThings

^I think you do look thai, it's the lips that makes you look thai i believe

--

what is exactly a filipino nose? I've seen it mentionned numerous time in this thread

Guest MaryMagdalin

people think i`m either korean or japanese

or mixed

i`m taiwanese/chinese

mixed might not be wrong tho cuz somewhere far back there might have been someone polynesian

Guest PDURRR

i'm chinese...and yes i think i look chinese

i've been told i look korean alot in my 411 but yeah...

Guest limexsoda

ahhaha

loving this thread

I'm chinese but ppl never ask if I'm chinese when they ask me where I'm from

I think it's kind of funny cause I think that means that they can't really tell asians apart LOL

I get mistaken for either Korean, Japanese or mixed <-- that I really don't see LOL

and someone once thought I was mix of Indian and Chinese :o I don't see how LOL

Guest c0lap1nada

I'm Chinese. My relatives all say I look Japanese, and everyone else says I look Korean.

Guest hotarumichan777

hm... what do you guys think I look like. i haven't had anyone guess what i am for a while. since everyone at my school just knows me as an asian panda. haha... (that'd be my nickname)

(i posted two, so you could see a contrast in my different... positions? don't know how to put it.)

FILE0035copy.jpg

FILE0042.jpg

i've got wierd answers from basically anything in between Polish to a mixed Arab/Chinese girl. i guess sometimes i look like a mix euro/asian in the summer when the sun lightens my hair to brown and my eyes can turn light brown too... but I'm not telling you my ethnicity right now. =)

Guest Ll 7l

I get mistaken all the time. I'm Filipino.

When I was in high school I would get mistaken to be Hispanic....ALL the time!! It drove me crazy.

For the past few years though, I've gradually been getting "asian mixed." Once, about 6 months ago, I was specifically asked, "are you half Korean?" About last month I was asked if I was Japanese.

People only get my ethnicity correct if I'm hanging out with my family or if I'm around other Filipinos.

Archived