[drama 2008] The Lawyers Of The Great Republic Korea 대한민국 변&#5484

Guest yeohweping

Guest debratan

So now that I've seen episode 1 with subs, I know that the short curly hair is an "ajumma" thing. Her office manager said that she couldn't be taken seriously as a divorce lawyer unless people thought she'd been married. That must have been why BH asker her if she was married, too...

Oh .. so that's the reason .. that make sense!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hjkomo

"Because when you close your eyes, you're pretty to me. So, don't close your eyes around me."

Awww....I want her to end up with Han Min Guk!!!

Oh, did he really say that to YK!!!

I actually like them together too...

And I think they will end up together though the relationship chart does not say anything like that..

Who knows, the scriptwriter might change her mind! :lol:

MG asked YK why she kept closing her eyes in front of him, and she said it would be better if he didn't know.

There are still plenty of episodes for the pairings to develop (and switch around :phew:), so who knows? :P

Guest piano_lady

MG asked YK why she kept closing her eyes in front of him, and she said it would be better if he didn't know.

I think it's because she couldn't stand him? :unsure:

Remember her rambling after their first meeting at her place?

When he was trying to get her to work for him?

Correct me if I'm wrong :D

This scene...in ep04

This is the lawyer that MG's mom recommended to him, right?

Why doesn't MG like him?

Look how comfy he is ... :P

ep03C-001.jpg

ep03C-002.jpg

ep03C-003.jpg

ep03C-004.jpg

ep03C-005.jpg

Guest debratan

I think it's because she couldn't stand him? :unsure:

Remember her rambling after their first meeting at her place?

When he was trying to get her to work for him?

Correct me if I'm wrong :D

Just finished Epi 3 with chinese subbed. (tks again sub team!)

Regarding the eyes closed thingy .. I think it got to do with the part where Byun Hyun closed her eyes with his hands. He said something like "you will be more just and less biased" with you eyes closed.

Although she got tangled with Han Min Kok but tends to side Ae Ri more, so that make her have a negative opinion on him.

By closing her eyes when ever they have a discussion, she is trying to be more fair on him.

it would be better if he don't knows, because she have been thinking badly of him(?)

On episode 3

What's exactly the deal here?

Did she come to ask who AR's lawyer is?

ep03A-001.jpg

ep03A-002.jpg

Yes,

it seem that the lady have worked with this man before and he have a liking for her (mole)

Guest debratan

Episode 03: The first meeting of MG and AR

ep03C-021.jpg

The place where BH arrange a meet up with AR, happened to be the place where they first met.

She is very sentimental. :)

Funny that no one mentioned that part where Ae Ri is in the hospital. :fury:

She actually have a miscarriage (again). and Han Min Kok mentioned something like, what have you done before our marriage? how come you got mis carriage again?

I know that Han Min Kok is a VERY insensitive man, so I am not going to say much because basically he is a good man.

But I do really sympathised with her. That is really a mean thing to say to someone who (just) got a miscarriage. That to me, will be the breaking point of their marriage. What worse can it be when your husband blamed the loss of the child on you??

Guest piano_lady

Just finished Epi 3 with chinese subbed. (tks again sub team!)

Regarding the eyes closed thingy .. I think it got to do with the part where Byun Hyun closed her eyes with his hands. He said something like "you will be more just and less biased" with you eyes closed.

Although she got tangled with Han Min Kok but tends to side Ae Ri more, so that make she have a negative opinion on him.

By closing her eyes when ever they have a discussion, she is trying to be more fair on him.

it would be better if he don't knows, because she have been thinking badly of him(?)

Yes,

it seem that the lady have worked with this man before and he have a liking for her (mole)

Thanks for the clarification, dear DT! That indeed makes sense!

Subs really make a BIG difference! :D

Oh, the lawyer from Tae-Bo likes the chief of YK?

I thought she was fishing for some info..hehehe...

Anyways, some new articles..related to Episode 04

[깜짝포토] '대변' 롤러 탄 커피 총각은 누구?

2008년 7월 18일(금) 오후 2:55 [TV리포트]

21075_19472_4252.jpg

I really like his skates...is this something new in Korea?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and our MG-YK moments..

'대변' 이성재, 이수경에게 고백 "당신 이뻐보여"

2008년 7월 18일(금) 오후 2:05 [TV리포트]

21071_19464_5448.jpg

I'm really enjoying this drama. I find the relationships between the four leads very interesting and seems there's more than what we see on the surface.

It would seem that Aeri is out to get her vengeance by going all out for MG's money which seems the only thing he loved the most. From all appearance she might still have feelings for him and I get the feeling that all she wanted was a heartfelt apology from him for what she suffered. From the hints dropped so far, MG is an insensitive husband and her mother in law must have given her a hell of a time too since she seems like a real witch and dislike her son's choice of bride from the start and we're shown a glimpse of her violent temper.

But then ... we're shown that MG has a soft side to him ... why would he act so callously towards a wife he married of his own free will but treat his driver cum friend with much more concern than he showed his wife? Was there some misunderstanding between them driven by someone ... maybe the mom? Because I just can't see how he could be so cold & cruel towards a wife who just miscarried even if it's not the first time. Unless he was made to think it's her fault? And I don't think the reason why he insisted on going for YK is because he felt it was good revenge to get his ex-wife's best friend to fight his battle for him against her. But because whilst he love his money ... he also doesn't want to hurt Aeri and YK is probably the best candidate to get the job done? Which is also why he turned down the lawyer his mom sent after hearing his strategy.

Could it be that Aeri did not ask YK to be her lawyer because she's her best friend and she didn't want to get her entangled in her mess & see the shameful farce that's her marriage & all the nastiness that will ensue? Because she certainly cared enough about YK to tell MG not to treat YK like the way he treated her. And it's not as YK thought that she didn't think YK is good enough to be her lawyer.

I actually feel kind of sad for both Aeri & MG's character. Maybe MG really need someone more like YK to turn his life a bit more upside down & get him out there. I can imagine how horrified dear momma will be if the son fall for YK ... haha

I'm glad LSJ has short hair in this drama ... I totally don't dig his look in his last drama but he's hot in here!! And I love how Lee Soo Kyung is playing her character which although is exaggerated at times ... doesn't annoy me plus she has great chemistry with both guys.

Guest hjkomo

MG initially went to YK because he remembered that she was a lawyer, and he had already alienated all the lawyers he knew. The fact that she was AR's best friend was an added bonus. But later, he chose to keep YK (even though his mother found him a lawyer) because there's something about her that strikes a chord with him. She's the only one who stands up to him and orders him around (something he's not used to).

Although AR cares about YK as a friend (that's why she told MG not to treat YK like he treated her), AR doesn't have much faith in YK's skills as a lawyer. She specifically went to the law firm and asked for their best lawyer.

LSK's chemistry is great with both men. Her kooky character has just the right mix of humor and heart. :P

And she's certainly going to turn MG's world upside down. In fact, it's already begun. :phew::sweatingbullets:

Guest nadtn

Anyone else here sad that RSY has so very little screen time so far? As I read through the subs, I realize that he may have 10 lines all together in each episode!!! :tongue2: They just throw in a gratuitous shower scene here, a dashing smile there...but the guy has very little material to work with...no wonder MG and YK is stealing the show!!!! Ah, I'm so frustrated for him!

Guest Zealousy

Everytime I see YK with that 'ajumma' hair, I think of one of the girls from Wonder Girls in that Tell Me video. LOL.

Guest debratan

Anyone else here sad that RSY has so very little screen time so far? As I read through the subs, I realize that he may have 10 lines all together in each episode!!! :tongue2: They just throw in a gratuitous shower scene here, a dashing smile there...but the guy has very little material to work with...no wonder MG and YK is stealing the show!!!! Ah, I'm so frustrated for him!

Nadtn, RSY may have not much of the screentime so far, but everytime he appears, it's always :w00t: and :wub: for us.

I believe that his big part will come later on. They still have to reveal why he left for US.

Guest debratan

I'm really enjoying this drama. I find the relationships between the four leads very interesting and seems there's more than what we see on the surface.

But then ... we're shown that MG has a soft side to him ... why would he act so callously towards a wife he married of his own free will but treat his driver cum friend with much more concern than he showed his wife? Was there some misunderstanding between them driven by someone ... maybe the mom? Because I just can't see how he could be so cold & cruel towards a wife who just miscarried even if it's not the first time. Unless he was made to think it's her fault? And I don't think the reason why he insisted on going for YK is because he felt it was good revenge to get his ex-wife's best friend to fight his battle for him against her. But because whilst he love his money ... he also doesn't want to hurt Aeri and YK is probably the best candidate to get the job done? Which is also why he turned down the lawyer his mom sent after hearing his strategy.

I have this feeling that HMK thinks that maybe AR have other man before their marriage. So, he is angry that she have difficulty keeping babies.

But still he do care for Ae Ri, he didn't want his mother's lawyer, because that guy proposed that he ought to be portrayed as a victim, that AR is not as innocent as she appeared so. HMK don't want to attack and hurt AR.

One more thing to note, HMK told YK that he agreed to the divorce because he feels that he deserved it and to save Ae Ri all the problem.

Guest anachronista

I've had the same feeling, like maybe RSY's part is getting sacrificed to his senior LSJ's. :tears: I'm hoping DT is right and he will get more screen time as the story goes on. As far as I'm concerned, though, they can do a shower scene in every episode! :w00t::lol: In episode 2 he seems like a bit of a flirt.

MG initially went to YK because he remembered that she was a lawyer, and he had already alienated all the lawyers he knew. The fact that she was AR's best friend was an added bonus. But later, he chose to keep YK (even though his mother found him a lawyer) because there's something about her that strikes a chord with him. She's the only one who stands up to him and orders him around (something he's not used to).

Although AR cares about YK as a friend (that's why she told MG not to treat YK like he treated her), AR doesn't have much faith in YK's skills as a lawyer. She specifically went to the law firm and asked for their best lawyer.

LSK's chemistry is great with both men. Her kooky character has just the right mix of humor and heart. :P

And she's certainly going to turn MG's world upside down. In fact, it's already begun. :phew::sweatingbullets:

I'm aware of the reasons why MG went to YK and ask her to be his lawyer initially. I guess when I was watching the part where the new lawyer sent by his mom was underlying how they should make him the victim instead and MG asked him if there's no other way for them to fight the case without going at each others throat and then told him he already had a lawyer when earlier on he decided to let YK off from being his lawyer after taunting her with if she can't do whatever it entails to ensure he wins the case then she's allowed to withdraw. Maybe I'm trying too hard to see the good in him and would like to think that's at least part of the reason for him to go back to YK other than finding her interesting. Hehe.

I also find it interesting that despite the bitterness between Aeri & MG ... she didn't think it was in him to do something like hiring YK to spite her. And Aeri denied that she forsake her friend when MG accuses her of doing so by not choosing YK to be her lawyer but how YK still stood by her side despite that by refusing to handle his case because she should have felt a bit guilty if she really chooses not to use YK purely because she didn't think highly of YK's skill. Again ... maybe I'm looking too much into that scene. :lol: And Aeri is not that unprepared ... she has in her hands that piece of paper that makes BH think they have excellent chance of getting a lot more settlement than what he initially thought they should aim for so I don't see why YK couldn't have won the case for her lack of experience non withstanding.

Yes ... LSK is adorable isn't she? I'm really loving her character! And I can't wait for her to clash further with MG!

I have this feeling that HMK thinks that maybe AR have other man before their marriage. So, he is angry that she have difficulty keeping babies.

But still he do care for Ae Ri, he didn't want his mother's lawyer, because that guy proposed that he ought to be portrayed as a victim, that AR is not as innocent as she appeared so. HMK don't want to attack and hurt AR.

One more thing to note, HMK told YK that he agreed to the divorce because he feels that he deserved it and to save Ae Ri all the problem.

That's the interesting part. Why would MG think that? And why would that cause her to have difficulty keeping babies. That's so weird. Unless Aeri is rumored to have an abortion before they got married which is causing her difficulty in carrying a pregnancy to term or something ... otherwise it's just weird he blamed her past love life for her miscarriage. He was shown to be a womanizer during his marriage too ... was that in retaliation to his wife rumored lovers before their marriage or is he that kind of man? Did he love her at all? What exactly happened? And from all accounts ... it seems he's not unaware that he's in the wrong too with what went wrong with the marriage but he just didn't think he should part from his hard earned money for that.

Btw ... from the billing at the start of the drama ... it would seem that Lee Sung Jae is the main lead and thus it makes sense he's got the most scenes ... so how can it be that RSY's part is getting sacrificed for LSJ?

Guest hjkomo

I'm aware of the reasons why MG went to YK and ask her to be his lawyer initially. I guess when I was watching the part where the new lawyer sent by his mom was underlying how they should make him the victim instead and MG asked him if there's no other way for them to fight the case without going at each others throat and then told him he already had a lawyer when earlier on he decided to let YK off from being his lawyer after taunting her with if she can't do whatever it entails to ensure he wins the case then she's allowed to withdraw. Maybe I'm trying too hard to see the good in him and would like to think that's at least part of the reason for him to go back to YK other than finding her interesting. Hehe.

Yes, that's what makes MG such an interesting, layered character. He acts like he doesn't care about anyone but himself, but we get glimpses of his human side (carrying his assistant in need of medical care, not wanting to take the dirty road in the lawsuit, and secretly bringing YK the fan).

But, YK definitely gets under his skin...like no one else. When MG said he hated AR as much as there are stars in the country sky and loved her as much as there are stars in the Seoul sky (none, that is), YK points out that the stars are there even if you can't see them and that's how much he still loves AR. This really irks MG. :lol:

Guest piano_lady

very interesting discussion we have here! thanks!

as much as I'd want to participate in your discussion, i think it's a bit premature to do so...

it's really a pity that those of us who don't understand korean can't just yet pending the release of the subs for eps 2,3,4...

but carry on! we are enjoying the read! (esp that you're shedding light to some of my queries above) :)

don't fret, nadtn! our dashing BH will have his turn in the limelight soon! just wait and see... :D

Guest nadtn

Video clip courtesy of RSY's naver fancafe

Interview game with RSY and HEJ -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpDRrTZcapw

Can anyone please tell us what it's all about?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh man, if only I knew what he was saying!!! Deb V, how are those Korean lessons coming along, are you understanding anything yet...I may have to start learning Korean too! :D

well i dont know if this is the case because in the most recent episode. aeri is in her car leaving the apartment when shes says something along the lines of "jagi (husband, MG) you're lucky because you have the best lawyer" something like that. i'll rewatch to make sure but im sure she said that.

Archived