[drama 2002] Ruler Of Your Own World/ As You Wish 네 멋대로 해라

Guest appledapple

^ sorry about that!

i never look in the drama/request thread.

thanks so much for episode 1 :)

i'm eventually going to upload all the episodes but just going in order right now so that shanesparks can get his episodes as well.

but none of my episodes have subtitles.

sorry about that

It's okay, I have already uploaded the subtitles (as per the above post) since. No worries about the sequence, as long as all the episodes are together. That's why I 'transferred' your earlier uploads for Episodes 2 & 3, incase the thread is eventually removed. *wink*

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest makemyday

aiiiii i have episode 10.

haha i keep forgetting to continue to upload this drama.

so sorry guys.. i have a bad memory.

will upload the rest of the episodes when i have time

Shanesparks, a gentle warning again

I thought we are not suppose to put up REQUESTS FOR UPLOADS in a drama discussion thread? :phew:

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?act...ounce&f=16&id=1

7. Any request for download, links, uploads, re-ups please go to the respective download threads.

8. Please don’t ask repeatedly when subtitles are going to be out. When it is out you will know.

ANY SERIOUS VIOLATION OF THE RULES, WARNINGS WILL BE ISSUED. IF DESPITE REPEATED WARNINGS, THE THREAD MAY BE CLOSE FOR AN UNDETERMINABLE TIME UNTIL A PERIOD DEEM FIT BY A MOD.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shinny3

Great songs!!!!

Yang Dong Geun is a fanaminal actor!!!

I cried a lot while watching this.

Guest tsench

thank you for uploading this drama i really appreciated and can u please reupload ep 10 because it doesnt work anymore

• 2 weeks later...
Guest makemyday

reupload of episode 10!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XP3I9DQF

i'll be uploading more in a sec and editing this same post with the episodes

EDIT

episode 15

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8I4VMBR1

episode 16

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CRDY6VAE

episode 17

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7PJX8ORN

episode 18

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E6DNL2ME

episode 19

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YEAZ4BIK

episode 20 (FINAL)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D4NSYBGE

HOLLLLLLER BACK.

i'm done with all the episodes

Guest makemyday

you are completely welcome!

i hope more people can download this drama because its seriously awesome.

one of the best of year 2002 in my opinion.

actually, one of the best korean dramas ever

mostly because yang dong gun was so good in his role

• 3 weeks later...
Guest duckweed

Rewatching this . At episode 4 and loved the part where Kyung threw the wine container at Boku's head after he asked for her autograph. Painful scene but slightly funny at the same time...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hehe, I was just wondering if anyone's got any summary or synopsis for this drama? I've been hearing quite a lot about this but never really found out what the drama is all about and the casts and such.

Guest suzziee

Hehe, I was just wondering if anyone's got any summary or synopsis for this drama? I've been hearing quite a lot about this but never really found out what the drama is all about and the casts and such.

A review and summary from Koreanfilm.org

Ruler of Your Own World (2002, MBC miniseries)

They're called "Mania" Dramas. TV Series that, for many reasons --including their competition with top rated shows, or lack of major stars-- fail to capture the masses, but manage to slowly build a faithful audience which supports the show until the end. Ruler of Your Own World might be one of the best examples yet. This is a different show, far away from the diabolical convolutions and contrivances of the prototypical TV melodrama --like, say Winter Love Song-- far away from the usual weepy, over the top atmosphere. Far away from stereotypical characters.

There are no major stars here, but everyone down to the smallest supporting character does an excellent job. If Shin Koo's superb performance as Bok-su's father is no surprise, the real find is Yang Dong-geun and his partner Lee Na-young. After a career as a child actor, Yang slowly built his acting skills thanks to important roles in films like Kim Ki-duk's Address Unknown, and started to become popular after appearing in the hit TV sitcom New Nonstop. Following his successful turn in the nostalgic dork comedy Bet on My Disco, he started to get recognition from both the public and critics. His portrayal of Ko Bok-su is fantastic. He swings between the character's innocent naivete and guilt for his past with ease. You can really relate with his problems, being a simple task like showing his parole officer that he's a changed man, or a big one like accepting Jeon Kyung's (Lee Na-young) affection. Yang shows impressive range here, and seems the perfect leading man for the series' ever changing mood.

The other surprise is relative newcomer Lee Na-young. If you're tired of super-pretty plastic beauties overacting at every chance they get, here's finally someone who can convey different emotions without making a fool of herself. Kyung's charming personality comes across impressively thanks to Lee. When she smiles, she does it with her whole face and it feels sincere, as much as the opposite evokes the same reaction. Her character is difficult to portray: Kyung is a simple young woman. She's not particularly attractive --at least compared to the conventional canons of beauty in this kind of set-up-- is rather shy and has a hard time opening herself to other people. As the series begins, the viewer will likely have a hard time connecting with her. Little by little though, as she begins her relationship with Bok-su, you'll start to relate to her, and understand her personality.

It would be almost criminal leaving Kong Hyo-jin out of the picture. Despite her charming personality and great raw talent, she's been underused for the past 3-4 years in both TV dramas and movies. 2002 was probably her breakthrough year, with her first leading roles in Emergency Act 19, Conduct Zero and A Bizarre Love Triangle. She's also a lot more active than usual on TV, lately starring in MBC's Snowman, with Cho Jae-hyun & Kim Rae-won. Her portrayal of Mi-rae is interesting, because it mixes a lot of elements from her supporting roles (lots of cutesy and quirky moments) with a more 'grown up' personality. This is the best performance of her young career, and it finally gives a new spin to the 'bad girl' character you often find in series like this. That's of course only the leading stars, because the supporting cast is equally good. Jung Doo-hung, for example, impresses once again with a role that basically mimics his real life occupation (action director). He's a tough, no richard simmons man looking at him from the outside. But, he reveals himself to be one of Bok-su's best friends. Jung seems a natural for this kind of role, and he's been leaving a mark all year long. All his performances in 2002 (No Blood No Tears, Champion, Resurrection of the Little Match Girl) showcased his charisma and screen presence.

Second, the writing. Fans of TV Dramas often put up with a lot more bad writing than those who only watch Korean movies can tolerate. After all, if you're a sucker for melodrama, you can sometime forgive sappy music, manipulative plot developments, and stereotypical characters. I think most of the people who enjoy these dramas do so for their emotional content (remember, the major target demographics here are Ajumma's), they're not trying to find great writing. Instead, Ruler of Your Own World features some of the best writing I've seen on a TV drama. Characters seems stereotypical at first glance, and actually trick the audience with the usual set-up of the genre (boy 1 likes girl 2, girl 1 is pissed at girl 2 because she loves boy 1, dysfunctional families galore, and so on), but emerge from that set-up as multidimensional and realistic. Ko Bok-su is neither a simple thief nor a perfect man. Kyung's emotional state often gets the better of her and she avoids problems instead of facing them. Mi-rae can be pretty egotistical and short-minded, and that's just scraping the surface. There is never the feeling that things are rushing to the usual mega-convoluted cliffhanger, or that a mysterious sickness or death will come out of nowhere to further the plot. Whatever happens here does so for a reason. I never got the sense of urgency felt on other melodramas. This series shows a good mix of lighthearted, even silly moments with more serious and touching ones. And, the most important thing, it's successful in hitting the right notes. Even when things get a little manipulative, it's that kind of manipulation like in Lee Jung-hyang or Hur Jin-ho's films. One you can happily live with, because you care about the characters.

With a fantastic ending and lots of questions left to the viewer after the conclusion of the story, Ruler of Your Own World does something I haven't seen for too many Korean TV series. It takes the most overused plot device (a fatal disease) and actually uses it to convey something. It's not just a facade to bring tears to your eyes, no matter how successful at that some TV dramas are. Up to the last episode, the atmosphere never goes the usual way, there's no tragedy here. Bok-su builds a beautiful life out of his last days on Earth. He tries to make life better for him and the people he knows. He makes new friends, makes his parents' life meaningful again, and why not, he lets people who love him enter his life. The only flaw of Ruler of Your Own World is that, sadly, it eventually has to end. The best TV drama of 2002.

================

I aboslutely LOVED this drama even though when I first watched it, no one inside was really famous and screamed out to me to watch it.. but I really bonded with the characters and the OST was seriously AWESOME. omg. It is literally a dream come true for indie music fans who are tired of hackneyed pop tunes.

Wow, thank you so much for the review. Glad to know that Lee Na Young and Gong Hyo Jin is here as well. I love LNY after watching Maundry Thursday and Please Teach Me English. I really fell in love with her acting cause she was literally like two different people in those movies, each so incredibly different. As for GHJ, I'm watching Thank You right now and blown away by her performance.

I would absolutely add this to my 'To Watch To Buy' list. Thank you again for posting that.

• 2 months later...
Guest shg13

OMG... Been looking for this drama everywhere... So happy to find them here. :w00t:

Thank you so much for uploading the eps, my_immortality!! Really appreciate it. Just downloaded all of them... Can't wait to watch them. :D

Archived