• Replies 39.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cristina0422

The Evolution of Korean Pop Music in the Past Ten Years

By: edward1849

TALENT

Most people will agree that singers debuting in recent years are a lot more talented than singers debuting in the early 2000s. It's like two different eras. Many singers in those days probably wouldn’t make the cut if they auditioned today! There are several reasons for this.

Back in the old school K-Pop era during the late 1990s to the early (even mid) 2000s, most record companies marketed idol singers on how well they dance, and of course, their physical appearance. Vocal talent was the least important aspect because all the music shows back then allowed singers to lipsync. Rumor has said that some of those singers only sang live a few times during their whole career. MBC’s “Music Camp” was the first gayo show to go all live, and at first some of the singers avoided being on his program to avoid the embarrassment of having to sing live.

Starting in the mid-2000s, record companies begin to emphasize vocal talents instead of image, especially with the success of vocal groups like SG Wannabe and Big Mama. Those groups were all about singing and they both debuted with booming success. At about the same time, all music shows made it mandatory to sing live. Those who couldn’t sing no longer had any place to hide.

To become vocally talented and have good stage presence, singers must go through an extensive training program before debuting. Back in early 2000s, many singers were almost “pressed into service”. You could tell they weren’t well-prepared when you watched them onstage, not only in singing, but with overall stage presence. Now we all hear that singers are trained three to five years before they debut. Record companies fine-tune everything from vocal to image to dancing skills before the singer is allowed to set foot onstage. One of the best examples of this is 2NE1. Everyone heard about them for a few years even before they debuted, and they seemed like veterans the first time they stepped on stage. It had set the bar even higher, showing how thoroughly new singers needed to be trained before debut. Fans will accept no less.

Most new artists debuting now are well versed with several genres of music. Record companies let them to promote different genres to showcase their talents. Also, group members are allowed to go solo at the same time now and often promotes a different kind of music than the group's. In this way single genre artists and albums is no longer the norm.

MORE DETAILS

can I say I love you Edward! kekekeke. Nice editorial right there...

BlackJacks!!! Tonight is the night we've been waiting for 2NE1's Music Station appearance. 8PM KST @ TV Asahi

those who want to watch live via streaming, there are 2NE1 dedicated sites that can help you how to watch japanese tv....

BLACK JACKS!!

Lets all work together and get BOMMIE on WE GOT MARRIED!

Can you imagine how EPIC that would be??

The 8D-ness of everything.

Bommie would be so hilarious, and arent you curious about how she datess?

Lets make papa YG realize the potential Bommie has in variety TV :D!!

20091027_parkbomreleasesyouandi_fs.jpg?w=270&h=406

bommie.jpg?w=450&h=234

GD_and_Park_Bom_17112009030941.jpg

tumblr_ldo72dtYNL1qapvpto1_500.gif

Guest sjaikb

api63r.jpg

GD&TOP and 2NE1 to perform at Japan’s huge “SPRINGROOVE 2011″ concert!

Via tokyohive:

A huge concert featuring equally huge names will be taking place at Makuhari Messe Stadium this April!

“SPRINGROOVE 2011″ will take place on April 2nd, and offers performances from hip-hop artists who are renowned not only in Asia, but around the world. The current guest line-up currently features the following artists from America and South Korea, in addition to Japan’s homegrown hip-hop and R&B musicians. Korea’s very own 2NE1 and GD&TOP are the latest to be added to the already stunning lineup for the event.

Check out the impressive line-up below!

2NE1

GD&TOP

AK-69

DJ KAORI

Far East Movement

FLO RIDA

Kato Miliyah

Keri Hilson

KREVA

Mark Ronson

Mindless Behavior

Nelly

Trey Songz

Zeebra

…and more!

Source: SPRINGROOVE 2011 Official Website

cr: allkpop

Guest blooming

There's an 8.8 earthquake in Japan just happened now. According to the news that it was 200 miles away from Tokyo. I hope 2NE1 are ok!!! Can someone verify if they are fine. Let pray for their safety and for all the Japanese!!

Guest sjaikb

[update] Korean celebrities in Japan assure fans they’re alright

Japan was just hit by a massive 8.9-magnitude earthquake, and they’ve issued tsunami warnings for both the local populace and 53 other nations.

The devastation has caused global concern, and the international community is reaching out to Japan, especially for those who have loved ones on the island nation.

Knowing that 2NE1 recently went over to Japan to promote their Japanese debut, fans have flooded YG Entertainment with questions about whether they were ok.

An official from YG Entertainment confirmed that the girl group were fine. “We are not able to directly contact the members [by phone] probably due to the earthquake causing problems with transmission. Just now, we received news from another affiliated individual within Tokyo that the girls were safe.”

2NE1 was planning to appear on Asahi TV’s “Music Station“ program to promote their upcoming debut. Because of the natural disaster, however, affiliated individuals stated , “There is no news of whether or not the schedule with ‘Music Station’ will continue.”

Meanwhile, KARA has also been confirmed to be safe. Should airports resume full operations, they will return to Korea on March 12th, as planned. Other Korean celebrities, including The Boss, JYJ’s Junsu, Shin Min Ah, Han Hyo Joo and Kim Jung Hoon have also assured fans that they are safe as well.

We know that many K-pop fans are concerned about their idols, but we ask that they also spare some concern for the Japanese people as well, as they are experiencing a devastating national disaster.

Source: E-Daily

cr: allkpop

Guest cristina0422

When I heard a tsunami hit Japan my biggest concern is our girls' safety. I was relieved that they are fine now. But I want to see them safe and sound. Let's just pray for our girls safety, the rest of Japan and also other countries living around the Pacific. 2 schedules of 2NE1 will be canceled...Music Station and the concert they will be attending in Thailand.

[NEWS] 2NE1′s Debut Canceled As Aftermath To The Earthquake, Return On the 12th Still Not Clear

An 8.8 magnitude earthquake hit Japan, where girl group 2NE1 is currently staying.

On the 11th, the group’s debut single “Go Away” was released in Japan, and ahead of their debut, their sales for the single was doing well, as said by local representatives. YG Entertainment agency’s representative said, “The local staff weren’t able to call, and it got us concerned,” he said, “So we got worried about where the four members were.”

He continued, “Today, they were set to perform in Asahi TV “Music Station,” but their debut has been canceled, and their promotions are postponed,” he further states, “2NE1 was originally scheduled to return to the country on the 12th, but the local airports are closed right now, so we are watching the future situation.”

He also said, “2NE1 was staying in one of the well-designed buildings in Japan, but because of the strength of the earthquake, the walls cracked,” he continued, “Unfortunately, 2NE1 cannot showcase their debut performance, but they are safe and without harm, so it’s a relief.”

2NE1 was originally set to debut on Asahi TV “Music Station.” But the performance itself was canceled as an aftermath of the earthquake, and their debut has been postponed.

Source: http://news.nate.com/view/20110311n23716

Translated by: knucklepink@WeLoveDara/ BlackjackBelle@OhDara

will.i.am really cares for 2NE1. He is also worried when N.Korea bombs S.Korea before and now in this incedent in Japan. He check on our girls.

Guest NV4ever

when i read what happened in Japan i was soo worried for the girls safety and also the citizens of japan too!

im glad that Dara and Minzy updated to assured the fans of their safety...they were really scared!

im sure the girls all cried and shaking, i feel soo sad and helpless...i wanna be in japan now to give help!

We should all pray for 2NE1 and everyone in Japan To Please Be Safe And Let This Be Over Soon~!

Archived