Guest avinn

Guest kdramafanusa

Daily Box Office - Monday 2010/01/11

1. Avatar (US)

Release Date : 2009/12/17

128,192 / 8,144,709 / 566 / 41.9

2. Jeon Woo Chi (South Korea)

Release Date : 2009/12/23

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 69,245 / 4,422,585 / 465 / 22.6%

3. No Mercy (South Korea)

Release Date : 2010/01/07

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 43,793 / 404,022 / 305 / 14.3%

4 셜록 홈즈 미국,영국 2009/12/23 22,544 1,942,270 158,310,500 14,155,394,500 282 7.4

Source: KOBIS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's confirmed that KDW will be working with Jang Joon-hwan next.

Jang Joon-hwan & Save The Green Planet = LOVE!!! Many of us movielovers have been waiting for his next project. :)

Song Hye-kyo, Gang Dong-won to star in Asian omnibus pic

Jessica Kim | jesskim@asiae.co.kr

기사입력 2010.01.12 15:15 최종수정 2010.01.12 15:15

2010011211165201819_1.jpg

Actress Song Hye-kyo (right) and actor Gang Dong-won, who have been cast to star in Korean director Jang Joon-hwan's "Love for Sale." [bAL CON]

Several of South Korea's top actors including actress Song Hye-kyo and actor Gang Dong-won have been cast in a multinational omnibus film by directors from Korea, Japan and Thailand, according to the film's production company on Tuesday.

BAL CON announced in a statement that the film, tentatively titled "Busan Project," will be composed of three episodes each set in the past, present and future of the city of Busan in Korea.

Based in Korea during the 1970s, the first segment, titled "Iron lion king," will be directed by Thailand's Wisit Sasanatieng and star Korean actor Kim Min-jun and Thai-American actor Michael Shaowanasai. Shawananasai will play the role of a male secret agent from Thailand in disguise of a woman who later falls in love with an unidentifiable Korean man, played by Kim.

Korean actor Sul Kyung-gu and Japan's Yositaka Yuriko will appear in the second segment set in modern day Korea. A film director and a young woman who fall into a love that transcends time and space in the pic named "Kamome" by Japanese director Yukisada Isao.

The final episode, set in the near future, will be helmed by Korean director Jang Joon-hwan. In the film titled "Love for Sale," Song and Gang will play lovers who forget their memories about each other which later leads them to a fatal destiny.

Filming for the episodes will take place for about a month starting mid-January starting with "Love for Sale." Creators of the film plan to submit the pic to the Cannes film festival this year.

Kim has been a popular actor in Korea since his debut in 2003. He has appeared in several TV series and films including his most recent drama "Friend, Our Legend" alongside Hallyu star Hyun Bin.

Sul is a critically-acclaimed actor who has numerous awards under his belt including the title for best actor at the Grand Bell Awards, Golden Needle Space Awards and Bratislava International Film Festival. He made headlines last year after marrying top Korean actress Song Yuna.

Actress Song shot to fame in hit KBS TV series "Autumn Fairy Tale" co-starring Hallyu stars Won Bin and Song Seung-hun, gaining increasing popularity throughout Asia with her roles in several successful TV shows thereafter including "All In" opposite Lee Byung-hun and "Full House" alongside Asian pop sensation Rain.

Gang has been considered one of Korea's top heartthrobs since his appearance in film "Romance of their Own" in 2004. He most recently starred in "WOOCHI" which has been faring well on the currently Hollywood-dominated domestic box office. The film set a record for attracting the most number of viewers on its opening day and has maintained its position at No.2 after "Avatar" since its release in late December.

2010011211165201819_2.jpg

Actors Sul Kyung-gu (right), who has been cast to star in Japanese director Yukisada Isao's film "Kamome" and actor Kim Min-jun, who has been cast to star in Thai director Wisit Sasanatieng's "Iron lion king." [bAL CON]

Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kdramafanusa

Daily Box Office - Tuesday 2010/01/12

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 69,851 / 4,505,260 / 467 / 22.6%

^Wow, you're always so fast with the box office news :) Looks like JWC is heading towards $5M!

On a sidenote, OMG Jang Joon Hwan! They're so lucky to work with him. I was pretty iffy when I read the synopsis but it might be interesting with JJH directing it.

Guest kdramafanusa

On a sidenote, OMG Jang Joon Hwan! They're so lucky to work with him. I was pretty iffy when I read the synopsis but it might be interesting with JJH directing it.

It's about time, Save The Green Planet was from 6-7 years ago. :)

KDW will have another full-length movie '초능력자' (Psychic) from director Kim Min-Seok.

http://osen.mt.co.kr/news/view.html?gid=G1001140055

Should reach 5 million soon - possibly by the end of this week. :)

Daily Box Office - Wednesday 2010/01/13

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 61,012 / 4,566,347 / 446 / 21%

Guest subduing mara

KDW will have another full-length movie '초능력자' (Psychic) from director Kim Min-Seok.

http://osen.mt.co.kr/news/view.html?gid=G1001140055

Another movie after a Busan project (now project title is confirmed as 'Camellia') ?

.. Wonnie, you are full of surprises to your fans, you know? Wow...this news really made my day!!, I am waiting for more details of this upcoming project :D

Guest subduing mara

...4 Consecutive weeks in the new release of the successive Korea No. 1 box office movie, box office accounting for the causing a blast that 'jeonwoochi, unveiled a new character posters. ...

...So far the country has exceeded 4.65 million viewers, the worst of the cold, despite the constant entertainment tax have been the 5 million mark this weekend, audiences around the country that is certain. (Yihanseok News / news@isportskorea.com) ...

newposter20100115094530.jpg

newposter20100115094530h.jpg

source: http://news.nate.com/view/20100115n05043 / google translation

Jeon Woo Chi will surpass 5 million viewer this weekend!!

Guest kdramafanusa

^ thanks. dropping these off for now. will be back.

~

Daily Box Office - Saturday 2010/01/16 (preliminary figures)

1. Avatar (US)

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 300,491 / 8,971,059 / 530 / 34.5%

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 187,409 / 4,887,623 / 417 / 21.5%

Director : Choi Dong-Hoon

Cast : Kang Dong-Won, Kim Yoon-Seok, Im Soo-Jung, Yoo Hae-Jin, Baek Yoon-Shik, ...

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 92,586 / 659,619 / 319 / 10.6%

Director : Kim Hyung-Joon

Cast : Seol Kyung-Gu, Ryu Seung-Beom, Han Hye-Jin

4. Astro Boy (US)

Release Date : 2010/01/13

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 66,052 / 136,634 / 288 / 7.6%

5. Paranormal Activity (US)

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share :58,565 / 137,398 / 188 / 6.7%

6. Dad Likes Women (South Korea)

Release Date : 2010/01/14

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 39,347 / 80,284 / 287 / 4.5%

Director : Lee Kwang-Jae

Cast : Lee Na-Young, Kim Ji-Seok, Kim Hee-Soon

7. Sherlock Holmes (US, UK)

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 36,585 / 2,061,311 / 213 / 4.2%

8. Wedding Dress (South Korea)

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 26,381 / 52,775 / 181 / 3%

Director : Kwon Hyung-Jin

Cast : Song Yoon-Ah

Guest kdramafanusa

Woo Chi topped 5 million!!!

Daily Box Office - Sunday 2010/01/17 (preliminary figures)

1. Avatar (US)

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 281,146 / 9,252,363 / 527 / 35.1%

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 171,163 / 5,058,852 / 405 / 21.4%

Cast : Kang Dong-Won, Kim Yoon-Seok, Im Soo-Jung, Yoo Hae-Jin, Baek Yoon-Shik, ...

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 83,578 / 743,291 / 313 / 10.4%

4. Astro Boy (US)

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 66,286 / 202,917 / 281 / 8.3%

5. Paranormal Activity (US)

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 53,787 / 191,250 / 184 / 6.7%

6. Dad Likes Women (South Korea)

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 34,192 / 114,485 / 282 / 4.3%

Cast : Lee Na-Young, Kim Ji-Seok, Kim Hee-Soon

7. Sherlock Holmes (US, UK)

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 30,474 / 2,091,785 / 214 / 3.8%

8. Wedding Dress (South Korea)

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 23,330 / 76,110 / 181 / 2.9%

Guest subduing mara

Congrats! Jeon Woo Chi hit 5 millions already!! Such a valued present for KDW as it's his birthday today ^___^

Keep my finger crossed for the next target to 6 millions..Hwaiting!!

Guest kdramafanusa

^ Happy Birthday to DongWonnie. :)

~~~~~

Source: JoongAng Daily

Korea a computer graphics hub?

Culture ministry plans to invest $178M into the industry until 2013

January 19, 2010

18210546.jpg

Posters of recent Korean films that use computer graphics, from left to right: “Jeon Woo Chi: The Taoist Wizard,” “Haeundae,” and “The Host.” Provided by the production companies

It’s not something Koreans haven’t heard before: a promise to make Korea “a hub” of something. We’ve had proposals for business hubs, logistics hubs, R&D hubs and the list goes on.

Well, this time the Korean government says it will make Korea a hub of computer graphics, taking its cue from the explosive success of the 3-D film “Avatar,” which is laden with computer graphics.

As of last week, James Cameron’s Hollywood blockbuster had racked up more than $1.6 billion in sales worldwide, according to U.S.-based Box Office Mojo, becoming second highest grossing movie of all time after Cameron’s 1998 film “Titanic,” which earned $1.8 billion worldwide.

The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism unveiled last week an ambitious plan to inject 200 billion won ($178 million) into the computer graphics industry through 2013 to transform Korea into the Asian hub for computer graphics. Its strategy includes measures such as financial and tax benefits, technical and equipment support, training and research and development projects.

“Korea’s CG technology has already reached a notable level,” said Culture Minister Yu In-chon at a recent press conference. “We believe given the right direction and support from the government, it will just be the matter of time before Korean CG businesses become global market leaders.”

Meanwhile, experts believe the VFX, or visual effects, including computer-generated imagery, is becoming more important than ever.

But it does make one wonder about the relationship between Korea and CG technology. Is Korea really ready to compete with its foreign counterparts in U.S., Europe and New Zealand, markets with advanced computer graphics technology?

Korean officials do have a list of recent CG films and dramas that were made in Korea and that have been successful, including “Jeon Woo Chi: The Taoist Wizard,” “Take Off,” “Haeundae,” “Iris” and “The Host.”

For example, Haeundae, a natural-disaster film, spent up to 40 percent of its budget on computer graphics. That is a significant amount, considering that Korean-made films usually spend 5 percent of their budgets on CG. Films made in the United States, meanwhile, allocate somewhere between 20 and 30 percent of their production budgets for computer graphics, according to data from the Motion Picture Association of America.

“The positive sign is that these days the use of computer graphics is discussed in the very early stages of a film’s production,” said Jeong Seong-jin, the president of EON, which did the computer graphics for Take Off, an action film about Korea’s national ski jumping team.

Jeong showed in his presentation how the actors’ faces were put on the faces of real ski jumpers.

But the reality is that it will be a challenge for Korea to build its CG industry to keep pace with the rest of the world.

The size of Korea’s film CG market is about 25 billion won, experts say, which is about 1 percent that of the U.S. film CG industry. Equally surprising is that there are only about 25 major CG companies in Korea, and each operates with an average of just 35 people.

Although not unattainable, one may argue, it certainly seems like there is a rather long way to go before Korea can label itself a hub in this field.

By Kim Hyung-eun [hkim@joongang.co.kr]

Guest kdramafanusa

listing Korean films only.....

Daily Box Office - Monday 2010/01/18 (preliminary figures)

2. Jeon Woo Chi

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 51,873 / 5,113,255 / 386 / 19.1%

3. No Mercy

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 29,710 / 775,065 / 285 / 11%

5. Dad Likes Women / Lady Daddy

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 11,456 / 126,652 / 266 / 4.2%

Cast : Lee Na-Young, Kim Ji-Seok, Kim Hee-Seon

8. Wedding Dress

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 8,973 / 85,651 / 174 / 3.3%

11. Joo Moon Jin

http://joomoonjin.co.kr/

Release Date : 2010/01/21

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 1,807 / 2,784 / 7 / 0.7%

Director : Ha Myung-Joong

Cast : Kim Ki-Beom, Hwang Bo-Ra

12. Fair Love

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 1,735 / 15,779 / 44 / 0.6%

Director : Shin Yeon-Shik

Cast : Ahn Sung-Ki, Lee Ha-Na

17. Attack The Gas Station 2

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 984 / 2,872 / 4 / 0.4%

Director : Kim Sang-Jin

Cast : Ji Hyun-Woo, Jo Han-Seon, Moon Won-Joo, Jung Jae-Hoon

Guest junkiluv

anyone have the link to download this movie?

i really want to watch it and my parents keep bugging me about it too

thank you!

can't wait to see this!

Guest subduing mara

junkiluv, there only JWC trailers are avaiable now and you can find the links in this thread or YT :)

A movie is now screening in KR and for foreign countries in a few months on, .. so the offcicial DVD box set will not be released this soon... , I wanna see this movie so bad, but it is not confirmed to screen in my country yet T__T

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: JoongAng Daily

Director explores magical realm

‘The magical arts made the impossible possible, just as CG effects do for film.

January 22, 2010

21203218.jpg

Choi Dong-hoon

James Cameron’s masterwork “Avatar” is currently in high favor with moviegoers, but it is not the only movie that’s doing well at local box offices. The Korean action flick “Jeon Woo Chi: The Taoist Wizard” has also become a commercial success, attracting more than 5 million viewers in less than a month after its release on Dec. 23.

The movie, which is based on the classic Korean novel “Jeon Woo Chi,” may not have the spectacular special effects and computer graphics that Avatar does, but the imaginative story featuring a legendary Korean anti-hero seems to be attracting moviegoers, critics say.

Director Choi Dong-hoon, 39, who is known for movies such as “The Big Swindle” (2004) and “The War of Flower” (2006), said in a recent interview that with Jeon Woo Chi, he wanted to show something different from his previous works. Following are excerpts from a recent interview with Choi.

Q. Your previous movies were rated for viewers 18 and older, but Jeon Woo Chi is rated for viewers 12 and older. To be honest, Jeon Woo Chi comes as a sort of surprise because your previous films have been about violence and criminals.

A. I wanted to enjoy making this movie as much as viewers would enjoy watching it. In fact, after my mother-in-law watched the movie, she said that if Avatar is a ferocious lion, then my movie is like a cute cat, and I think it’s an appropriate metaphor.

What characteristics about Jeon Woo Chi were so appealing to you?

I like classical literature. When I was a child, I read books such as “Memorabilia of the Three Kingdoms” quite often. I came across the book “Jeon Woo Chi” one day and wondered why it hadn’t yet been made into a movie.

I was drawn to the fact that Jeon Woo Chi is not a superhero, but a cheerful anti-hero, which makes him even more interesting. I wanted this movie to be more fable than fantasy, like Harry Potter, so I included scenes where Jeon Woo Chi rides on clouds and a dog transforms into a human being.

It was interesting to see elements of Asian fantasy in the movie, such as animals in the Chinese zodiac turning into ghosts and monsters.

Korea is fortunate to have such invaluable assets in its classical literature. The character Jeon Woo Chi always carries a charm against evil, just as a cowboy from a Western movie would always be armed with a gun. In that way, I wanted to combine Eastern and Western elements in the film. I also wanted to show aspects of Taoism that still exist in Korea.

Taoist magic uses illusions, an element that movies also use. So, just as the magical arts made the impossible possible, special effects and CG effects are doing that for films.

How did you use computer graphics and action sequences?

Jeon Woo Chi used 1,400 CG shots, which is the largest amount used in a Korean movie to date. But it’s not really apparent because I tried to mask the CG effects as much as possible. The opening scene where Jeon Woo Chi comes down from the sky on a cloud and the shot where 10 Jeon Woo Chis fight against each other were all done in an “analog” way, so to speak. I did it that way because even though they don’t look as perfect or smooth as when special effects are used, they create a unique atmosphere.

You’ve said that inspiration for the movie came from actor Gang Dong-won.

I usually work with actors with theater backgrounds because of my belief that they are good at acting, but Gang Dong-won [who plays the title character] has changed my views on acting and actors. Some actors are gifted in acting, but there are also actors [like Gang] that are just fascinating to watch.

By Yang Sung-hee [spark0320@joongang.co.kr]

Guest subduing mara

^

TQ :) .....Another related news

Hit film Jeon Woo Chi gets a manhwa series

January 20th, 2010 // by javabeans

Manga_JWC.jpg

Kang Dong-won’s fantasy-hero film Jeon Woo Chi has had a strong box office performance, and at last count had sold 5.2 million tickets. Riding that success comes a manhwa series bearing the same name, which will be released in book form as well as via an online subscription service.

Although it’s not rare for a film or drama to be turned into a novel or manhwa, apparently this is a more unusual, as Jeon Woo Chi has been contracted for a three-season project. The first “season” will start being released through its online subscription service on January 25, and once each season has been completed, a book form will be published. Writing will be Lee Kyung-seok of manhwas Battle of Guitar and Zombie Time.

Given the fun, historical-action-magic fusion of the film, Jeon Woo Chi seems like a perfect project for a manhwa adaptation. Too bad the character doesn’t look terribly similar to Kang Dong-won, but I suppose we can’t all be Yonsama, can we?

Via Segye

Guest kdramafanusa

Daily Box Office - Thursday 2010/01/21 (preliminary figures)

2. Attack The Gas Station 2

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 54,156 / 71,939 / 310 / 18.4%

3. Jeon Woo Chi

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 43,674 / 5,256,276 / 292 / 14.8%

4. No Mercy

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 21,234 / 852,724 / 254 / 7.2%

11. Wedding Dress

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 4,212 / 108,495 / 136 / 1.4%

12. Dad Likes Women / Lady Daddy

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 3,339 / 151,539 / 194 / 1.1%

13. Joo Moon Jin

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 3,162 / 9,384 / 91 / 1.1%

Guest kdramafanusa

Not a big difference beween Jeon Woo Chi & this week's top domestic opener.

Weekend Box Office [Friday 2010/01/22 ~ Sunday 2010/01/24] (preliminary figures)

1. Avatar (US)

3-day admission / total admission / screen / share : 633,881 / 10,286,114 / 526 / 34.3%

3-day Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 303,731 / 375,922 / 374 / 16.4%

3. Jeon Woo Chi

3-day Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 296,978 / 5,553,467 / 376 / 16.1%

4. No Mercy

3-day Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 123,256 / 976,108 / 302 / 6.7%

11. Wedding Dress

3-day Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 23,280 / 131,794 / 165 / 1.3%

13. Dad Likes Women / Lady Daddy

3-day Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 18,250 / 169,813 / 237 / 1

14. Joo Moon Jin

3-day Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 12,112 / 21,565 / 110 / 0.7%

Guest kdramafanusa

listing Avatar & Korean films only.....

Daily Box Office [Monday 2010/01/25] (preliminary figures)

1. Avatar (US)

daily admission / total admission / screen / share : 113,576 / 10,406,517 / 441 / 42.4%

daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 37,029 / 417,963 / 304 / 13.8%

3. Jeon Woo Chi

daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 34,413 / 5,592,858 / 311 / 12.8%

4. No Mercy

daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 18,477 / 997,687 / 257 / 6.9%

11. Wedding Dress

daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 3,451 / 135,635 / 139 / 1.3%

12. Joo Moon Jin

daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 2,475 / 172,636 / 185 / 0.9%

13. Dad Likes Women / Lady Daddy

3-day Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 18,250 / 169,813 / 237 / 1

Guest kdramafanusa

Daily Box Office [Thursday 2010/01/28] (preliminary figures)

1. Harmony (South Korea)

Release Date : 2010/01/28

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 97,530 / 103,196 / 373 / 27.4%

Director : Kang Dae-Gyu

Producer : Yoon Je-Gyun

Main Cast : Kim Yun-Jin, Na Moon-Hee, ...

2. Avatar (US)

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 95,637 / 10,721,615 / 365 / 26.9%

3. Le Grand Chef : Kimchi War (South Korea)

Release Date : 2010/01/28

Daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 39,575 / 45,978 / 343 / 11.1%

Director : Baek Dong-Hoon

Main Cast : Kim Jung-Eun, Jin Gu

4. Jeon Woo Chi (South Korea)

daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 28,771 / 5,691,105 / 272 / 8.1%

5. Attack The Gas Station 2 (South Korea)

daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 22,752 / 509,720 / 263 / 6.4%

8. No Mercy (South Korea)

daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 8,506 / 1,042,515 / 168 / 2.4%

9. Joo Moon Jin

daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 5,573 / 34,860 / 40 / 1.6%

13. Secret Reunion (South Korea)

Release Date : 2010/02/04

daily Admission / Total Admission / Screen / Share : 2,168 / 13,439 / 11 / 0.6%

Director : Jang Hoon