Hip Hop Artists And Sampling Music...

NaughtyDog

Pretty annoying.
Hip hop artists have been sampling music for so long, and it seems as though hip hop lives off of it to a certain degree.

Artists take samples from a really great song or classic, speed it up to chipmunk speed, add a few beats, and rap over it. I don't know, but I find it a bit annoying because some hip hop fans are oblivious to this fact.

Perfect example, Kanye West.

He samples anything and everything. He sampled "I Got A Woman" by Ray Charles, he sampled "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" by Daft Punk, and now he sampled "The Eraser" by Thom Yorke with CRS (Kanye, Lupe, and Pharrell). Ugh, what annoyed me most was that when I mentioned the original version of 'Stronger', the majority of my friends pretty much thought the Daft Punk version was crap and that Kanye made it popular. There must have been a reason Kanye sampled from it, duh!

More examples of samples are Busta Rhymes "Teknologic" sample in "Touch It", "Stand By Me" in Sean Kingston's "Beautiful Girls", and I think I've even heard a hip hop version of Led Zeppelin (LOL ty fobsquad) "Stairway To Heaven". Wow.

Then my friend sent me the CRS version of "The Eraser" and I am incredibly irked because this was my absolute favourite song from Thom's newest CD. They butchered the lyrics with some 'rich and famous' garbage and rapped over the chorus. PLEASE STOP SAMPLING A RUINING GREAT SONGS!

I do realize hip hop artists aren't the only ones sampling music - dance music probably samples more than hip hop, but at least they sample and remix recent hits and not classic. Haha sorry for my rant @_@

Here's the CRS song for those who are curious =____=

...and here's the original by Thom Yorke

Guest TygrrLilly

I really don't mind samples when they are used well and bulit upon by the sampling artist to make a whole new, different song.

The thing that gets on my nerves is when people sample a song to basically piggyback off of a super popular song because they know its gonna be a hit because its already well-liked and familiar to the general public. Examples:

"Beautful Girls" by Sean Kingston -> "Stand by Me" - Ben E. King

"My Baby"- Lil Romeo -> "I want you back"- Jackson 5

"Pump it"- Black Eyed Peas -> "Misirlou"- Richard Dale

"Hip-hop Is Dead"-> "Ina Gadda Da Vidda"- Iron Butterfly

Oh and pretty much anything by P.Diddy

Guest fobsquad

and I think I've even heard a hip hop version of Metallica "Stairway To Heaven". Wow.

"stairway to heaven" is by led zeppelin, not metallica.

and although they used the chorus, it's not a complete remake.

G's Incorporated, a german rap duo sampled it for their song.

sampling is not intended to ruin or steal a song.

every sample is properly credited (otherwise it's a federal offense)

grounds for ruining a song happen only if it is a cover, in essence a remake.

and there is nothing wrong with sampling. in fact, there's an entire community for us "diggers" who look for beats/breaks to sample in old school vinyls.

you say it annoys you that other ppl are uneducated in the knowledges of the origins of the beats.

well taht's because they dunno the classics or original.

we cannot use that against them. it's not our fault they're music nubs.

Guest love!mvmt

It annoys me sometimes but I dont really mind it too much. I just dont like the fact how some people knew the original version and then other people hear the one with the sampling and THAT's how they know the song. Uh that was sort of a bad explanation LOL but for example I think Taio Cruz made a song called Like A Star which included a sampling of Corinne Bailey Rae's song called Like A Star. And then after that everyone started saying ... LIKE A STAR this, LIKE A STAR that. Got really annoying cuhz they never even heard the original to appreciate what it's really worth.

"stairway to heaven" is by led zeppelin, not metallica.

and although they used the chorus, it's not a complete remake.

G's Incorporated, a german rap duo sampled it for their song.

sampling is not intended to ruin or steal a song.

every sample is properly credited (otherwise it's a federal offense)

grounds for ruining a song happen only if it is a cover, in essence a remake.

and there is nothing wrong with sampling. in fact, there's an entire community for us "diggers" who look for beats/breaks to sample in old school vinyls.

you say it annoys you that other ppl are uneducated in the knowledges of the origins of the beats.

well taht's because they dunno the classics or original.

we cannot use that against them. it's not our fault they're music nubs.

HAHAHA WOW! Oh man, I can't believe I put Metallica instead of Led Zeppelin...Must be all the studying I've been doing +__+ Geeze Led Zeppelin is one of my favourite bands too D: (Thanks for not being snooty about my brain-fart :))

Anyway yeah I know it's not intended to ruin the song, but why can't they just compose their own music and not piggy back off popular songs? (like TygrrLilly mentioned) I don't mind that people don't know the origins of the beats, but the majority of the time when I show them the original, they pretty much think it's crap and say it's the remakers that made the song great. There's a reason why the songs are being sampled.

Some sampling I don't mind, but if they sample a whole song, it's annoying.

I don't take it too seriously. Besides, I'd rather listen to Led Zeppelin over a hip hop artist any day. LOL.

And as much as I like Nas, I'd rather listen to Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" over Nas' "Hip Hop is dead."

So the point is, don't let it get to you. The songs they sample from are usually better anyways. Just go listen to those. hahah.

Guest Steph*

yea i've noticed how often sampling seems to happen these days..

it's not even just the beats anymore, a lot of artists randomly sample famous lyrics o_O

or past songs that weren't a major hit lol..

Guest hpnotiq

I see nothing wrong with sampling (unless of course it's the whole song or something)

If you can take good music & make some changes & make a new verison, go for it.

Random but, I love Daft Punk's Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger & I love Kanye's Stronger too.

Guest THEmerryJANE

Sampling can be an art form when done right. I'm not talking about taking lyrics, original beat, and overall concept of the song. That's biting. But sampling has been engraved in hiphop for so long and some produce great, classic tracks. It's immeasurable how many times Whodini and Planet Rock have been sampled. It's not a problem to me if they credit the original and then try to make the song their own.

But yeah, I get what you're saying. It's like they just too lazy to come up with a good song on their own so they take something already liked by everyone.

Guest Malice_Kaiser

It does in theory get me really irritated. Even though I love Kanye, I wish he wouldn't sample so much because I want to think of him as an original artist (his lyrics are great, the beats are all sampled though). And it saddens me when people don't even know who the original artists are...

But seriously, at least credit is given and I agree it's not meant to ruin a song... :/

Unlike people like Vanilla Ice who not only take without asking, but make a s*** song while they're at it.

• 1 month later...

Apparently Timbaland doesn't give credit nor pay royalties for his songs...He apparently "sampled" from a lot of Arabic music - which isn't even sampling really...He's taking the original theme and just adding a few beats, just like One Republic...

Here are some youtube videos with a lot of the samples that have been used in hip-hop...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XACiYD69CZc

Guest Soho Doll

It actually irritates me to no end. (But then again, most hip hop does so.....)

I especially got annoyed when some cousins of mine were like "OMG Kanye West and that Stronger song" and I'm like "Do you even know the original....??" and they were like "Original? What? Ewww Daft Punk?? They suck." And I just wanted to die from frustration.

Guest MUGETSU

It's part of the music industry.

They probably do give credit on the CD inserts...but who buys CDs now anyway.

It's funny seeing the fights over sampling in Korean music ... BIG BANG COPIES DAISHI DANCE.... idiots it's called sampling ... lol

But seriously, at least credit is given and I agree it's not meant to ruin a song... :/

Unlike people like Vanilla Ice who not only take without asking, but make a s*** song while they're at it.

Word up!

I don't mind sampling, it gets irritating but it only shows flattery

as long as it's giving credit I don't care.

Busta Rhymes did the Knight Rider theme proud

Archived