♣ ♠ ♣ Foundation& Face Powder Thread. ♣ ♠ ♣

Guest momo panda

Guest TheLoveism

right at this very moment i'm using a couple different routines.

if i want a bit of heavier coverage or im going out somewhere special i use laura mercier foundation primer and then hello flawless powder from benefit (great coverage, especially for a powder; i have it in the second lightest color i think, it's called never settle petal, although i think i should have gotten the one that is one shade darker, which is pretty much the same thing with warmer undertones)

on a daily basis, or a really light, sheer look, i mix laura mercier's oil free tinted moisturizer in nude with smashbox tinted moisturizer in luminous and set that with laura mercier setting powder.

as you can see i have lately become a laura mercier fan. pricey, but worth it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ravi_chan

When you guys apply primer/foundation, do you like to use brush, sponge, or fingers?

i've heard different things about all of them, but the sales lady recommended brush because its smoother?

Guest rubyx

I use monistat as primer, and then I use Mac Studiofix fluid. I apply with the flat foundation brush. I looked up many tutorials on youtube about proper liquid foundation application. I realized I was applying foundation the wrong way before. I had given up on using brushes and went back to using my fingers. Now my makeup looks much better, and the MAC foundation matches better than Revlon Colorstay. (Sand Beige, now using NC25)

Guest joxxy

why can't you wear sunblock before applying bb cream since you cringe at the thought of not having some kind of sun protection on your face? :huh:

applying translucent powder (not tinted) helps to mattify your face if you need it. I can't survive w/o any powder due to my oily face.

I wore Revlon colourstay today after abandoning it for months, and I'm lovin' it once again! clinique superfit, ettusais LF and hanskin bb creams are :wub: Very interested in revlon photoready but i'm put off by what ppl say are shimmers in the LF. Not available in my country yet, so let's see if I'll purchase it (I don't think so, I HOPE NOT. I have enough LF/bb creams to last till I die :rolleyes: )

Aw don't be put off by the shimmers! You only notice them if you look really closely under direct light. The foundation itself kind of makes your skin glow! I can't really describe it, but its very nice. I was very hesitant about the shimmers as well, but I have had absolutely no problem with it. But for reference, I set the foundation with a matte powder.

does revlon photo ready have SPF in it? :)

Yes, surprisingly it has SPF 20! Pretty convenient :]

Guest vintageous

I think missha bbcream is the best foundation i've ever used so far. I haven't tried many but that's cause bbcream does its job well enough I don't need to look for another one =)

Guest yukinohana

i just have some scarring on one side of cheek

but i dont think my complexion is horrible ( used to be really bad in high school then i stopped using foundation and it cleared up a lot)

i use stila tinted moisturizer with spf15.

gives it coverage and a bit of foundation to even out any blemishes.

thats all i use on a regular day

if im going out i put that on, and use MAC mineral finish powder

if you dont want too much on use a kabuki brush and layer it on

then apply a light blush and you`re good to go :)

Guest Chisuo

When you guys apply primer/foundation, do you like to use brush, sponge, or fingers?

i've heard different things about all of them, but the sales lady recommended brush because its smoother?

It depends on your skin type/what kind of coverage you want actually. For me since I have oily/normal skin a primer is a must for me since it prevents makeup from sliding off. As for using a brush, sponge, or finger...this depends on you really. However, all I know for sure is that traditionally BB cream is applied with the fingers since your suppose to tap your face all over when your done applying it. And if your opting for a brush it's best to use a synthetic fiber brush for foundation or liquid based makeup and use natural hair brushes for powders. Blue squirrel hair is the best kind.

Guest index1618

I find if you're a woman of color, asian, hispanic, african american, blue green purple whatever, you should spend a little more for foundation that works, and when it comes to simple things like eyeliner or blush, opt for cheaper alternatives. I'm asian, and I most certainly cannot use drugstore foundation, since they're aimed solely toward caucasian women and or men for those brothers out there rockin the makeup, that have redder or pinker undertones. I have golden undertones, and so do some caucasian women actually, not that I'm neglecting you girls. I find that undertone and race friendly foundations can be found at mac or bare escentuals stores. I personally have REALLY oily skin, like it's sort of nasty in it's natural state, so I use mac's studio fix powder foundation in NC25 and it's a perfect match, I use mac's studio fix stick foundation beneath my powder to soften my scars that i have, it also works well as a concealer too, with ultimately more product than the little pots of concealer, but of course more expensive, it is also good for a makeup base for the powder to stick on. If you have dry skin, do not use these products, you'll look cakey, flakey and terrible, it can accentuate the dry spots you have, go for bare escentuals mineral foundation, I used to love it, but it just made me look too oily, so great for you dry skinned people. but if you have extremely oily skin like me, the powder will mix with your face's oils and make the foundation look like real skin, with a nice dewy sheen to it by the end of the day, which is ultimately better than looking like an oil slick within two hours.

Side note: I have also found that moisturizer works just as well as a primer does for foundation, don't waste your money, unless you have a lot of money than can you share some of it with me? lol

I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I use a brush to apply my liquid foundation but when I brush across my face, you can see the brush strokes on my face.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong >o<

And how do you girls clean your brushes?

I use Michelle Phan's method. I really like it and she explains it very well. Here's the link:

Guest index1618

use sonia kashuk's beauty blender sponge cheaper but still functional version of the original beauty blender which is like 25 bucks, not worth it lol, flawless application for powder or liquid foundation, no streaks no nothin, there are tutorials and reivews on the beauty blender and sonia kashuk's version on the Utube, I've used both, they are very comparable, a lot of picky biased people think they are completely different lol, they aren't. (I use it for powder, even though it was ultimately used for liquid foundation, I just learned how to use it from enkoremakeup on youtube, love him) cheaper than a brush, and versatile. 9 bucks at target, clean nightly with baby shampoo to avoid bacteria buildup, replace every 3 months

Guest jimberley

I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I use a brush to apply my liquid foundation but when I brush across my face, you can see the brush strokes on my face.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong >o<

And how do you girls clean your brushes?

I used to get streaks using a brush but I figured (youtube is your friend XD ) that by squeezing the foundation onto the back of your hand first THEN dabbing the brush into it and applying it onto your face, gets rid of streaks. Usually I dab my face after using a sponge around the nose area in case of build up though. Hope that helps :)

Guest hAppynote

The Physicians Formula Healthy Wear Powder Foundation w/ SPF 50 is wonderful! I got it since I get combo normal-oily skin as it gets warmer. At CVS, it came with a free Healthy Wear Pressed Bronzer with SPF 50.

You can get high coverage with this, but i don't put a lot on cuz my face is still dry in some areas. With the sponge they give you, I get medium coverage when I pat it on the powder a few times. I think it's comparable to Benefit's Hello Flawless, because if you use a brush you could get a sheer look as well as that high coverage w/ a sponge.

Here's a full review I read before buying (there's pictures and swatches): click.

Guest ForgottenReason

I've been using Makeup Forever HD foundation for about a year! It's quite costly at $40, but I've been using the same bottle since May last year. (I use half pumps or full pumps daily). I've only started using setting powder. I just bought Bare Escentuals Hydrating Mineral Veil. It doesn't seem like it's helping that much to me, or maybe it's cause I'm just a noob in that area and don't know how to spot the difference. Any criticisms on it?

i use bare escentuals matte spf15 1n fairly light foundation. for concealing acne or hyper pigmentation, i use the spf 20 1b bisque, and for concealing under eye darkness and brighten eyes, i use well rested. for blush i use nars in orgasm, and bronzer i use bareminerals warmth. for finishing powder i use bare escentuals mineral veil. this has proven to be best for my skin, and i always get compliments when wearing this makeup, however, it doesnt settle into my skin that great and can seem a little grainy closeup (or on camera). i have used drugstore brands and they always break me out. if i absolutely have to, i'll use maybelline mineral powder liquid foundation in light 0.

I use Michelle Phan's method. I really like it and she explains it very well. Here's the link:

I used to get streaks using a brush but I figured (youtube is your friend XD ) that by squeezing the foundation onto the back of your hand first THEN dabbing the brush into it and applying it onto your face, gets rid of streaks. Usually I dab my face after using a sponge around the nose area in case of build up though. Hope that helps :)

Thanks so much for the replies~!

The only problem with my foundation is that I use the Revlon Colorstay one and it is not squeezable lol

But I'm thinking of changing to Revlon Photo Ready one (or w/e it was called) after looking another girl's review on it.

Guest whizzer's_rose

I use this cheap but good quality brand In2it... I started using it 3 years ago when I finished my Max Factor. It was very expensive and it kinda make my skin look reddish but then a friend suggested I try in2it and I'm very happy about it. I recommended it to my friends and cousins-now we all use it. I also use to wear Avon's whitening foundation but I don't see it anymore in their catalogues.

Archived