What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Guest loO4la

Guest FragrantWhisper

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling

My favorite out of the seven installments. :) My childhood would have never been the way it was without this series.

Looking forward to the appearances of Sirius Black and Remus Lupin.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest FragrantWhisper

Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix

Finally on the fifth book. I've been rereading the series since last week in between studying and stuff. I've never stumbled upon a work more compelling than this series. It's had immense impact on my childhood.

This is possibly my favorite after Prisoner of Azkaban, even though one of my most beloved characters dies. It's coming-of-age. In the face of unreliable government, social isolation, discord, and corruption, Harry Potter takes a stand to apply the most essential elements of his magical education and teaches those willing to defend themselves against the Dark Arts. It's downright exciting!

That said, I'm hardly into the first chapter. The fourth book was quite a ride, reading Barty Crouch Jr.'s story after a decade.

Guest Stolen_waters

Books I've read recently:

Maze Runner Trilogy:

maze-runner-trilogy-530x241.jpg

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

-B&N

Divergent:

divergent.jpg?w=185&h=280

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

-B&N

Ten things we did (and probably shouldn't have) by Sarah Mlynowski

^The story is about baking the rules and a living a life without parents.

++++

BTW, Does anyone know any forum specifically for novels?

I've been trying to look for one for some broader discussions about novels. Thanks!

I just finished the third part of Jessica Verday's The Hollow series -- THE HIDDEN. :D - great book,btw.

So I started on The Commoner by John Burnham Schwartz

- this one is kinda interesting. It's about a woman who came from a middle-class family and her difficult life as a Princess in Japan. I'm not sure if it was based on a real Princess in Japan though.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

I'm half way through and still can't figure anything out which is good.

Several young adult books are really interesting lately, want to read Daughter of Smoke and Bone next.

Guest crazyMuka

I just started on 1Q84, the latest book by Haruki Murakami. It's a huge book, nearing 1000 pages, but I'm liking what I read so far :D.

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, Does anyone know any forum specifically for novels?

I've been trying to look for one for some broader discussions about novels. Thanks!

Try http://www.goodreads.com/- i find the discussion/reviews and recommendations quite helpful.

Currently reading The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. Told from the point of view of Mr. Stevens, an English butler. A llittle bit slow, but still oddly compelling. You have to read between the lines to truly understand the story and Mr. Stevens' true feelings.

Guest deflate

I just started on 1Q84, the latest book by Haruki Murakami. It's a huge book, nearing 1000 pages, but I'm liking what I read so far :D.

I'm reading this too! :)

Currently reading The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. Told from the point of view of Mr. Stevens, an English butler. A llittle bit slow, but still oddly compelling. You have to read between the lines to truly understand the story and Mr. Stevens' true feelings.

The Remains of the Day is awesome, and so is the film adaptation starring Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins. If you like Ishiguro, I recommend two of his other works: A Pale View of Hills and Never Let Me Go.

Archived