What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Guest loO4la

Guest mellybean

for the person who read the princess bride, did you ever read marathon man also by william goldman? i think it's actually a better book than the princess bride, though i loved that one as well...it's actually one of my favorite books...it was made into a movie with a famous dentist scene (i've never seen it)...it's a spy/conspiracy book that's at turns funny and tragic (much like the princess bride) it made me laugh outloud quite a few times, and made me shed a tear.

a book i finished recently because i was at so many airports recently :)...the house of mirth by edith wharton. it's kind of slow in the beginning, but really starts to build. shed a few tears, unexpectedly over this one, too. yeah, it's official. i'm a crybaby. :)

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest faith_hope_love

Did you ever see the movie? The book was okay--but I liked that better.

I saw the movie first a long time ago and then read the book. I like both in different ways. I love the movie because of the circumstance under which I first watched it and then I love the book because it gives more information than the movie does.

for the person who read the princess bride, did you ever read marathon man also by william goldman? i think it's actually a better book than the princess bride, though i loved that one as well...it's actually one of my favorite books...it was made into a movie with a famous dentist scene (i've never seen it)...it's a spy/conspiracy book that's at turns funny and tragic (much like the princess bride) it made me laugh outloud quite a few times, and made me shed a tear.

I've never read Marathon Man. But thanks for the recommendation...though I find it hard to find all the books I want to read as I'm in Korea. Most books are either classics or best sellers. :P

Guest satisfaction!

I'm currently reading The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald T_T

I have to watch the movie of it too for my english summer homework.. aiya.

I'm going to read East of Eden by John Steinbeck soon as well!

just finished American Gods and Mirror Mask; re-read Stardust (which they've made into a movie--not interested in seeing it though). Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite authors. I'm re-reading Neverwhere and Smoke and Mirrors.

I love Neil Gaiman's stuff, and I am cringing at the thought of Stardust the movie, because the novel is one of my favourite Gaiman books. I wish they never thought to make it into a movie :( I adore American Gods, and I watched the Mirror Mask movie, which was good.

I'm currently reading The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald T_T

I have to watch the movie of it too for my english summer homework.. aiya.

I sympathise. I thought it was awful.

Gonna start I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan. I just realised it's gonna be made into a movie too. Aish.

Guest snowbunny*

i'm kinda rushing through a book, but kinda not. i'm reading 2 books..eekkk!!

The Red Pony, by John Steinbeck and

Cold Sassy Tree, by Olive Ann Burns. couple months ago, i tired reading

To Kill a Mocking Bird, but iono.. i didn't really get the story line, well i only read like

6-15 pages of it. i'm planning to read Prep, by Crutis Sittenfeld. yeah, i went to the bookstore a lot

this summer. plus both of those books are for my english 9 honors class...phooney <_<, but i'm loving both novels!!

^ a seperate piece...

(isn't that about the school Exeter, or something like that??)

aniways.. i want to read 'The world without us' by Alan Weisman..

very interesting stuff!

Guest yonheet55

The Memory Keeper's Daughter

I lent it to a friend & I forgot who wrote it.. but that book was amazing. I have to admit that I shed some tears over it. It might start off slow, but towards the middle and end.. you can NOT put it down. It was that good. Give it a try

just wondering was it sharon shin??.. she is pretty amazing. you should try some of her other stuff.. i just started rereading the samaria series.

Guest Izzie

SlaughterHouse 5 :3

Seems interesting enough, but I`m not getting the point.

& by tomorrow, this thread's gonna be flooded with

Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows :D

& I shall be one of them x)

Guest STEPHOO--

^ HAHA true, i got the book, but I'm not reading it yet.

I'm currently reading 'Goodnight Mister Tom' for english.

It's set during world war II, it's a pretty okay book if you ask me.

Guest lilyphilia.

"the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya"

loved the anime and now i'm reading the translated light novels. :P

Guest mellybean

yeah, the princess bride is one of the rare ones where the movie is actually better, not that the book is bad or anything

that's one of my favorites! and speaking of movie adaptations... i know not everyone thinks so, but the latest version (it has gillian anderson as lily bart) is really terrific too.

edit: i guess roger ebert liked the movie too: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...S/12220308/1023 and that's good enough for me.

i watched that movie! before i read the book. I looooooooooved it. gillian anderson! eric stolz! i cried a bucketful. :) i have bleak house (gillian anderson!)...but i haven't watched it yet...it got such great reviews, too...i'm sure i'll love it since the same person who adapted the bbc colin firth pride and prejudice (it's $19.99 on amazon right now!!!!) did this one, too.

actually, there have been a few times i felt the movie or tv version was better than the book. emma by jane austen was probably two hundred pages too long. :) jeremy northam! (and, to me, an almost unrecognizable ewan mcgregor!) and the anne of green gable series (only the , and the . the third installment was not too good). i thought anne of green gables was an excellent book...just the subsequent books were not as good. and the writer/director did such an excellent job with combining the best aspects of each book in the series to make such an excellent miniseries. highly, highly recommended.

to go back on topic:

a book i'm almost done reading...although i don't think i'm actually going to finish it (i'm thinking of recycling it...seriously, like in the paper recycling...) is the curious incident of the dog in the night-time. <_<

Guest pikapika

HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HOLLOWS<3

:D

just got done XD

im going to finish the artemis fowl series next...a nice light read..and then some pullman mysteries...im going to the beach with family which means ill have a lot of free time with no internet T.T

Guest tOasty

I WAS reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows, but I finished that, so now I'm reading

Grotesque

by: Natsuo Kirino

It's super good. :D

Archived