Academy Award Nominees 2008

melkimx

- winners on page 3
LIST OF WINNERS

The following are the nominations for the 80th annual Academy Awards. Winners will be announced February 24.

Best Picture

"Atonement"

"Juno"

"Michael Clayton"

"No Country for Old Men"

"There Will Be Blood"

Actor

George Clooney, "Michael Clayton"

Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"

Johnny Depp, "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street"

Tommy Lee Jones, "In the Valley of Elah"

Viggo Mortensen, "Eastern Promises"

Actress

Cate Blanchett, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"

Julie Christie, "Away From Her"

Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose"

Laura Linney, "The Savages"

Ellen Page, "Juno"

Supporting Actor

Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"

Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"

Hal Holbrook, "Into the Wild"

Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Charlie Wilson's War"

Tom Wilkinson, "Michael Clayton"

Supporting Actress

Cate Blanchett, "I'm Not There"

Ruby Dee, "American Gangster"

Saoirse Ronan, "Atonement"

Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"

Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton"

Director

Julian Schnabel, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"

Jason Reitman, "Juno"

Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"

Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"

Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood"

Foreign Film

"Beaufort," Israel

"The Counterfeiters," Austria

"Katyn," Poland

"Mongol," Kazakhstan

"12," Russia

Adapted Screenplay

Christopher Hampton, "Atonement"

Sarah Polley, "Away from Her"

Ronald Harwood, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"

Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"

Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood"

Original Screenplay

Diablo Cody, "Juno"

Nancy Oliver, "Lars and the Real Girl"

Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"

Brad Bird, Jan Pinkava and Jim Capobianco, "Ratatouille"

Tamara Jenkins, "The Savages."

Animated Feature Film

"Persepolis"

"Ratatouille"

"Surf's Up"

Documentary Feature

"No End in Sight"

"Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience"

"Sicko"

"Taxi to the Dark Side"

"War/Dance"

click here for a complete list of nominees

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HeffyEnd

Haha, I was just getting ready to post these.

In my opinion

Major snubs: Angelina Jolie for Actress for "A Mighty Heart", and "Into the Wild" for every category it was supposed to get nominated for. Best actor (Emile Hirsch), supporting actress (Catherine Keener), director & adapted screenplay (Sean Penn), original song, and BEST PICTURE. :fury: Stupid AMPAS must hate me. And Zodiac didn't get nominated for ANYTHING.

Biggest surprises: Tommy Lee Jones for best actor for "In the Valley of Elah" (wtf, must be the Paul Haggis curse), Laura Linney for actress for "The Savages" (yay!!), Ruby Dee for supp. actress for American Gangster (I know she's old, but come on), Atonement for picture (the Globes don't have an impact on the oscars & this didn't get a lot of guild support).. but then again it's a british period film

Yay for Javier Bardem (he'll probably win), Viggo Mortensen (first nom!), Tamara Jenkins (for original screenplay, The Savages), Philip Seymour Hoffman (he should get nominated for every performance he does), Juno for picture, Ellen Page. And screw Cate Blancett.

There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men lead in noms.

Tranformers has three noms.

And Norbit is now and Academy Award nominated film.

YAY JUNO! I'm glad it's getting this kind of recognition. I'm also REALLY happy Ellen Page was nominated.

I'm really sad that Lust, Caution wasn't able to be considered for nomination for best foreign film due to some lame little rule

for myself, i was crossing my fingers for hal holbrook, so i'm thrilled about that one... though i also liked javier bardem and michael wilkinson in that same category. my bf was mad to find out that into the wild didn't get a best song nomination, but i can barely remember the soundtrack so i guess i don't really care. i'm also pretty happy about the best picture noms. i've seen four of them and enjoyed them very much... to be honest i don't think i would put any of them in my favorite movie category haha but that's not saying much. and my bro was disappointed to see knocked up and superbad weren't in the running, but boy, that would've just been weird. but cool, imo.

i think people on soompi will be glad to hear that atonement was for best costume.

norbit lol

Guest HeffyEnd

I'm really sad that Lust, Caution wasn't able to be considered for nomination for best foreign film due to some lame little rule

Yeah, same with The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, which would've won if it was nominated. Infact, most of the front runners "weren't eligible" for some reason. I haven't even heard of any of the films nominated.

and my bro was disappointed to see knocked up and superbad weren't in the running, but boy, that would've just been weird. but cool, imo.

Actually Knocked Up had a shot of getting an original screenplay nomination for Judd Apatow. It got a WGA (writers guild) nom, which means it probably did come close to making it. But I think Lars and the Real Girl was the one that got in instead.

I was hoping Kelly MacDonald would get in for supp. actress for No Country For Old Men and that Amy Adams would get an actress nom for Enchanted. But Cate Blanchett gets nominated for almost everything she does now. She took Adams' potential actress nom. Linney took Jolie's, but thats fine with me because Linney was fantastic in The Savages and she's been overlooked all year.

I forgot to add Jason Reitmans director nom in the surprises. I would've thought Sean Penn (:() or Sidney Lumet would've gotten in. Lumet's film Before the Devil Knows You're Dead unfortunately didn't get any noms but he's an old veteran, so I thought maybe.

Guest losborrachos

ok, both Atonement and Sweeney Todd are nominated for Best Art Direction--that's all that matters. with this year's impressive crop, i'm pretty neutral for the big categories, but if either of those two wasn't nommed for Art Direction i would've been royally pissed. i'm putting my money on Dante Ferretti (Sweeney Todd) for the prize, but he's got some stiff competition. the only newcomers are the guys of Atonement, and even they did a remarkable job.

but yeah, i think most who got nominated pretty much deserve to be--basically the Academy had a very difficult task this year choosing few out of so many good films/actors/directors/DPs/whathaveyou. 1/3 of my prediction for the Globe was a miss, but I really couldn't argue against the winner for any of the film categories (the TV categories were a different story). so yeah, i'm glad it's different from last year, when i was praying up to the very last moment that Little Miss Sunshine wouldn't win, or the year before, when I was throwing stuff at my TV when Brokeback Mountain was robbed.

though i have to admit i'm pleasantly surprised that 3 songs from Enchanted are up for the award. and yeah, i'm unpleasantly surprised Reitman got the nod--i mean, Juno was really a feat of acting and writing (and perhaps music supervising) than directing.

Guest babygurldoc

OMG I felt that Angelina Jolie was totally snubbed...her performance in A Mighty Heart was so great and she shoulda received a nomination.

Guest res0nate

Beaufort and Mongol were brilliant. The latter does have a few issues with continuity and pacing, but it was quite enjoyable. I do agree that Diving Bell..Butterfly was a surprise, one of my favorite pictures in recent memory.

Not that I disliked Atonement, it just came down to bad timing when I got around to watching it. The other noms in BP are well... is there such thing as a four way tie?

It's hard for me to really dive into the rest of the cats, '07 was a great year in film. There are way too many roles and movies that I thought were great.

Guest Myss Blewm

It should have not come as a shock that "Atonement" got a nom for "Best Picture" but I'm still a little miffed that it did. Hate me, I'm not a fan of that movie. =X

It's a pretty good haul overall this year. :D

Noms I'm most excited for:

- Viggo Mortensen for Best Actor!! If anyone has seen it, no one can deny that he deserves the recognition, especially after the terrible snub from "A History of Violence." I don't think he'll win it, but I'm just glad he got a nom!!

- Juno for "Best Picture"! The little movie that could! XD

- Amy Ryan for "Best Supporting Actress". She was amazing in that movie. What a force of nature! If she loses out to Cate Blanchette I won't hold it against the Oscars, but I do believe she is more deserving. :P

- Casey Affleck for "Best Supporting Actor". I haven't seen the movie but Casey's had an amazing year in 2007 so he deserves the recognition. Besides, we all know Javier's got this award in the bag.

Snubs:

- Like mentioned before, Angelina Jolie for "A Mighty Heart". How can you snub such a performance? She made the movie!

- Josh Brolin for "No Country For Old Men". He didn't have much of a shot to begin with, but come on! Brolin was amazing in the movie and how can you give Javier Bardem the honors but choose to ignore Brolin who deserves as much recognition as Bardem. >__<

- Paul Dano for "There Will Be Blood". His work in that movie was something truly remarkable and yet he did not get the recognition he really, really deserves.

Guest losborrachos

for those who are complaining about jolie getting snubbed, i think at this point she might have too much celebrity for the academy to like her (and they're probably getting tired of the whole beautiful-actress-with-ugly-makeup thing). blanchett took the last spot, it seems, and she DID make the movie, like jolie did hers. besides, that's pretty much a dead spot, considering the competition.

Guest Melisande

Mmm... Actually, I'm glad to see Cate Blanchett nominated for both Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress, but it's highly doubtful she'll win BA, considering a Queen already won last year and there were stronger performances. Marion Cotillard will probably win BA. Blanchett does have a good shot at BSA, again, though.

Guest shinhaku

Juno is orignial?!?!! That was totally a remake of Korean movie Jeni&Juno. Only a few things changed. i didn't like that movie, the korean version was a bit better though rather cheesy and unrealistic

Guest HeffyEnd

^It wasn't a remake. You should probably read up on the history of the film before you jump to conclusions. Diablo Cody probably hadn't even heard of the Korean movie. It's just that they're both films about pregnant teens who are named Juno, for an obvious reason- Juno was the Roman goddess of childbirth/motherhood.

for those who are complaining about jolie getting snubbed, i think at this point she might have too much celebrity for the academy to like her (and they're probably getting tired of the whole beautiful-actress-with-ugly-makeup thing). blanchett took the last spot, it seems, and she DID make the movie, like jolie did hers. besides, that's pretty much a dead spot, considering the competition.

I thought it was funny because Blanchett made the short list for the worst actress Razzie for that role. Plus lot of people who actually saw the movie, didn't like it, which never helps.. unless the AMPAS really love you. And they love Blanchett. I think Linney took the last spot. Christie, Page and Cotillard were locks. Blanchett was a lock in my mind for the aforementioned reason. Linney has the least chance of winning and she didn't get too many precursor nominations (which had been disappointing me all year), I think AMPAS just gave her a sympathy nom for a great performance that had been overlooked.

Mmm... Actually, I'm glad to see Cate Blanchett nominated for both Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress, but it's highly doubtful she'll win BA, considering a Queen already won last year and there were stronger performances. Marion Cotillard will probably win BA. Blanchett does have a good shot at BSA, again, though.

No, Julie Christie will win actress. Amy Ryan (Gone Baby Gone) has been the front runner all year for BSA, but it wouldn't surprise me if Blanchett won, just cause the Academy loves her so much, and clearly they also love some one portraying a different gender AND they love biopics (even though INT isn't really a biopic in the traditional sense).

I still can't believe TLJ made it in. Goes to show you that even if a Paul Haggis film bombs and everyone hates it, it'll still manage to get at least one nom. And I'm still in shock that ITW only got two noms. I thought if anything it would get more because the AMPAS love Sean Penn. They loved him enough to give him Bill Murrays oscar for that ham-fisted performance in Mystic River (and this is coming from a Penn fan). But when he spends 10 years making a biopic, they shut it out almost completely? Screw that.

^It wasn't a remake. You should probably read up on the history of the film before you jump to conclusions. Diablo Cody probably hadn't even heard of the Korean movie. It's just that they're both films about pregnant teens who are named Juno, for an obvious reason- Juno was the Roman goddess of childbirth/motherhood.

Thank u!

Juno is nothing like Jenny Juno

anyways

looking forward to the oscars

the nominations look pretty good

Guest res0nate

What did Gosling do? Fracture (which was bad) and Lars (which is solid though). But look at the competition, Gosling would be in there had they nom'd 10 instead of 5.

Guest VersusVillain

Heffy, isn't the Cinematography category orgasmic? I wanted Harry Savides to get nominated for SOMETHING, but still.

Laura Linney getting nominated is awesome. I don't even care who she shut out, she deserves a place in that category. Blanchett's double-nom is borderline ridiculous. I like Blanchett, but I have a feeling they only nominated her because she's, well, Cate Blanchett. And double-nomming someone is, like, so cool. Elizabeth: The Golden Age bombed with mainstream audiences and critics alike, not to mention the Academy nominated her for the exact same freaking performance before. I would have preferred if they spread some of the wealth, and instead nominated another actress who was an early contender: Jolie, Adams, Knightley, etc. Oh well though, because the rest of the category is pretty good.

And I LOVE that they nominated Atonement for Picture. I really didn't think it'd get in, but I'm so happy it did. Well deserved. I don't think it will win anything except for Score, but I'm just happy with it's 7 (!) nominations. I really thought Redgrave would get in too, but atleast Ronan did.

Tommy Lee Jones's nomination is really WTF?, so I'll just go ahead and pretend like they nominated him in Supporting for No Country for Old Men. Just like I did last year when AMPAS nominated Leonardo DiCaprio for the wrong film. Never underestimate the power of Paul Haggis, I suppose. I really freaking hope he doesn't turn into some mini-Clint Eastwood and AMPAS nominates all of his films for atleast one random award, merely because his name is attached to it.

Anyway, I'm really excited for Depp's nomination. This is his third nomination, but his first for a non-family friendly film and his first for a Tim Burton (!) film. I guess Pirates of the Caribbean really opened a floodgate for him. I just hope he wins one soon.

There IS, however, a chance that someone could upset in the category of Best Actress. Julie Christie will probably win, but I wouldn't say this category is a lock like Best Actor (Daniel Day-Lewis). Javier Bardem will probably win Supporting Actor, unless Hal Holbrook upsets ('cause he's old and stuff). I wouldn't say Linney comes in fifth either; she has the advantage of 1) being Laura Linney and therefore loved by AMPAS and 2) the only American of the bunch. And this HAS helped actresses in the past. Still though, I don't think she'll win. She would probably come in third, behind Christie and Cotillard. There's no way Blanchett receives that many votes. Her nomination for Actress was her reward for that damn movie. As for Supporting Actress, either Blanchett or Ryan gets it. Blanchett has the buzz, but Ryan has the precursors. It's close, but I'll go ahead and predict that Amy Ryan gets it.

Guest losborrachos

I thought it was funny because Blanchett made the short list for the worst actress Razzie for that role. Plus lot of people who actually saw the movie, didn't like it, which never helps.. unless the AMPAS really love you. And they love Blanchett. I think Linney took the last spot. Christie, Page and Cotillard were locks. Blanchett was a lock in my mind for the aforementioned reason. Linney has the least chance of winning and she didn't get too many precursor nominations (which had been disappointing me all year), I think AMPAS just gave her a sympathy nom for a great performance that had been overlooked.

i doubt linney will take the award, but while she didn't have a lot of precursors, critics raved about her performance perhaps more than they did blanchett's and jolie's. and considering blanchett is up for supporting actress, a category she has a better chance of winning, i say they gave the best actress nom for her as a free spot giveaway. the two actor categories are almost a lock, and i feel johnny depp's pain. he needs to make another attempt soon, preferably in one of daniel day-lewis's gap years, just to be safe.

the cinematography category is similar to art direction--a lot of veteran DPs with a newcomer from atonement. the precursors are pretty split between deakins, elswit and kaminski. i'm thinking kaminski for this one, since "the diving bell" is another critics' darling and it got snubbed in the best picture categories so it may get some pity votes for all the other categories where it got nominated (well, it also has to do with me not being able to choose between deakins' two films). most of my DP friends are rooting for deakins since his is long overdue and would be well-deserved, but even though it hasn't affected the critics' awards, there is still that big chance that academy voters will similarly be split between his two films.

but yeah, your savides is my doyle. ok he's made some odd choices lately, but damn they should've acknowledged him when they could.

Archived