Joo Jinmo 주진모

wolanah

Guest ElinaG

meelis said: Maybe I should follow you with Fashion 70', @ElinaG. I finished watching Dream, so I wondered with which drama to go next, so opted for Punch. Unfortunately, the first episode didn't grab my attention at all, I even found all characters annoying, including JJM's and SMA's... To those who have watched it - is it getting better afterwards?Plus, the quality of the copy I downloaded is really really bad, so it didn't help... 

@meelis : i'm like you, i tend to be less severe with a drama when the quality is good... as for... Fashion 70s and Punch, the quality left to be desired, i didn't even started it...

btw i'm starting to make a tumblr with Joo Jin Mo as the main subject :D

Guest meelis

@ElinaG, I'll give Fashion 70' a try then, I hesitated about it only because I understood the first 4 episodes or so are about their childhood, so JJM makes his appearance later. "Heavy" drama can't frighten me, only too soapy or overly melodramatic. Dream was none of the above, fortunately. :) But the quality of Fashion 70', as @sarah.lina said, is equally bad. I guess it's difficult to find these older dramas with decent quality.It's strange for a woman, but I like boxing, so this isn't my problem with Punch.

I'll be looking forward to your JJM tumblr, sarah.lina.  >:D<

Guest ElinaG

@meelis, true. the quality online is not so good either. but on 23'' computer screen it is watchable :) 
If you like boxing maybe it is a reason to stretch the pleasure for longer time ;-)Well, we, women, are weird... I like kung-fu movies, one of reasones I love Jet Lee. People just can't understand how can I watch today his movies from 70-s and 80-s. But I enjoy it so much!

meelis said: @ElinaG, I'll give Fashion 70' a try then, I hesitated about it only because I understood the first 4 episodes or so are about their childhood, so JJM makes his appearance later. "Heavy" drama can't frighten me, only too soapy or overly melodramatic. Dream was none of the above, fortunately. :) But the quality of Fashion 70', as @sarah.lina said, is equally bad. I guess it's difficult to find these older dramas with decent quality.It's strange for a woman, but I like boxing, so this isn't my problem with Punch.

I'll be looking forward to your JJM tumblr, sarah.lina.  >:D<

Guest lorac

sarah.lina said: @meelis : i'm like you, i tend to be less severe with a drama when the quality isgood... as for... Fashion 70s and Punch, the quality left to be desired, i didn'teven started it...

Guest ElinaG

lorac! Nice to find double comrade here :) I like Jackie Chan too. Donnie Yen little disappointing me lately. The monkey king, we just couldn't survive it :-/ but Special identity was fine, the role suited him very well.
About Fashion 70's, I'm watching it on drama.net (ep 20 of 28). Mostly, subs are synchronized. But not always. It is annoying when some phrase is staying on the screen for half of episode. Or subs are changing too fast. In one episode, subs were late for about 20 seconds ~X( Besides, looks like different people translated the text so names are written different from part to part. One of translators added her comments to subs. Very funny to read. She is obvious JJM's fan so comments were like this: some ajumas in the drama saying JJM is looking good, so she added " *nickname nods in agreement". JJm is having lots of showers in this drama so when was shower scene she added " *nickname fell off the chair" and so on... I think it is sweet and funny but maybe some viewers might find it annoying. Unfortunately for me there were only few remarks by this translator. Most episodes were made by others.
P.S. In one episode subs issue was really bad (subs are late, about 20 sec after picture) I went to another site, but found it was the same file with the same defect. Wanted so much to see what is next in the drama so didn't waste time to find better quality, but maybe there is somewhere... :-/

Guest lorac

ElinaG, watching Fashion 70s on Drama.net does not sound appealing. I find it irritation when subs are off, so I guess I'll wait until I get around to syncing the subtitles myself. I looked at episode one and notice there was a lot of bad grammar in the file. Although, I think those subs were done years ago by a fan group that did not have a real discipline or consistent style.The only thing more annoying is editor comments.
I even got kicked out of a facebook group because I made a comment about excessive punctuation and then pointed out that the group name suffered from the same affliction. I guess I hurt the group leader's feelings. If I recall correctly their name ended with !!! Punch was loaded with !!??!!! but I took care of that. Find and replace is my friend. Quite honestly I don't think subtitles need punctuation other than periods or question marks. It's the actors who express emotion, not subtitle punctuation.
I haven't watched Monkey King, but I think that most agree with your assessment, it's not a great film. I too, liked Special Identity and Iceman. Looking forward to Part 2. Donnie is in New Zeland right now filming Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2.
You know what I like about this thread, we can go a little off topic and not get flagged for it. I can't say the same for Empress Ki. But to keep it on topic maybe I should share this.
two-views-jin-mo_zps3d503770.jpg

Guest ElinaG

lorac, I understand your feelings about subtitles, I hate all this !!!??? to. But as I have no ability to improve subs and wouldn't miss JJM's drama, so I'm watching it as it is. That is the problem with old dramas, it wasn't in fashion like today. Today every new drama in Korea gets translation from at last 2 competing groups, immediately after broadcast. And there are huge Russian translation groups that do great job. Yesterday I found that few day ago somebody started to make Russian subs to Fashion 70's. What a coincidence! Just after I started to watch :( I don't know if it is really better quality, but the video is twice size of video files on asiatorrents. 
Flooding about Donny Yen (:)) Iceman was cool, we too are waiting to see second part. I heard there will be Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2. Hope it will be good as the first. It was very fine movie with so many stars! Well, Hong Kong are doing nice movies and have nice actors. I have long "must to watch" list of actors, I follow their works. Like Nicolas Tse, Louis Koo and more... And I like Chinese and Taiwanese actors and movies, so I could spend most of my life watching movies 8-}

As for the discussion of translation, I understood the frustration for unclear translation. However, as  a fan who tried to translate the materials (and with limited time and language ability), I do wish the fans would be more positive and encouraging. I think the fans who tried to translate the materials have tried their best within the liimited time.  As I said, it was more difficult and time consuming than I initially expected.  Discussions are good for people to improve themselves, but  maybe it would be for the best, if it could be done in a positive way.  Otherwise, I guess the translators may get discouraged and walk away. 
Personally, I do not know how English subs of some K drama sites worked. However. I do know the Chinese subs which were done by a TV station were much much better than the one done by fans.  After all, the translation was done by professionals. 
If fans have problems with English subs of certain K drams. Why not contacting the translators directly?  It may be more productive this way. They may improve themselves in the future.  

Guest meelis

Thank you for the great HQ presscon pics, @sarah.lina! Wow, your JJM's tumblr looks fab, can I live there?  :D
@biancaloveu18, I couldn't agree more with you. This is, BTW, his usual way of drinking water from a bottle, I only found two pics to show it, but the girls at Baidu had made some time ago a complete collection of such pics, we aren't the only ones who think it's soooo sexy.. :x
vjqsq7.jpgkiJCZn.jpg
© to the owners