[Drama 2008] The Great King Sejong 대왕세종 大王世宗

Guest huangsy

Guest ANNASHEE

ive been watching this on kbs world and its not so bad so far.

its actually quite an interesting drama, and the politics are so fun!

are there any clubboxes that upload this?

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cant believe Choon-nyeong was going to such extend to protect his brother ..sigh ..his brother is really lucky to have such a brother like choon nyeong .how could he even think of taking the blame for the seducing of the former king's woman .

Guest cydevil

the political intricacies are very interesting... i wish i had more time to fully digest each episode but i don't really have the time to do that on wkends these days.. so i don't know the full details as i tend to fast forward this drama a lot. ive been mostly watching Yang-Nyeong's story.. and waiting for Choong-Nyeong's story to get more interesting.. it's a long drama.. heh...

anyone feel free to point out if i understand it wrong.

It's simply, really. There are two major factions - the supporters of Yangneung, and the supporters of Chungnyeong. Yangneung's supporters are lead by Haryun(the old granpda), and Chungnyeong's supporters are lead by Bakeun. On Chungnyeong's side is also the guy who plays Kim Minjung's father in New Heart. That guy is also a spy working for the king, Taejong. As the drama progresses, the infight within the royal house will resolve eventually with Chungnyeong rising victorious(as the history goes), and the rest of it I guess will be mainly about Hangul and the Goryo remnants.

Guest manutunia

The politic for me, is the same as many other historic drama (Hong Kong, China...) so, it's nothing new... but, this is the first korean historic drama that I've watch and I knew nothing about Sejong, so it's look interesting to me....

So far so good.... i hope i can stand the 100 more epi to go....

i cant believe Choon-nyeong was going to such extend to protect his brother ..sigh ..his brother is really lucky to have such a brother like choon nyeong .how could he even think of taking the blame for the seducing of the former king's woman .

The former king is right ... King Taejong is really a lucky man to have such sons!! At first I was surprised that the 2nd prince would tell the uncle to go ahead & inform the father about the eldest brother's doing so that the uncle can let out the rage bottled inside him because it doesn't seem in character with him ... but it was such a wise move. Seems that he knew his uncle best of all ... and why he was so angry.

This drama is really intriguing ... because things are not always what it seems. I was taken aback that Hwang Hui would support the Prime Minister suggestion to remove Shim On from the Office of Slavery Reparation and wondering why would he do that ... until later when he had that talk with Yun Hwe. He knew that if Ha Ryun didn't get his way ... he'll come up with something else & ultimately it's the people who will pay the price behind all that court politics.

I actually teared at the part where Yun Hwe came running drunk & banging on Choon-nyeong's door & then declaring how he believed in him if no one else did & that he really has no selfish ambition in what he did and how he'll protect him with his life¬ That was so touching.

And the speech that the King gave to the Crown Prince about being a King different from himself ... someone who's more benevolence. Is it because he learn that from watching Prince Choon-nyeong? Or did he have other meaning for the Crown Prince?

I have to say I don't like the Queen the most ... her interferences are perhaps the worst since she don't see anything except protecting the Crown Prince's position in order to protect her own family's interest. The thing is ... she's still the mother to whichever 3 of her son if they should become King and why would they put aside their own uncles or their mother's council if they really work at protecting the country & it's people. Why does it have to be someone you have in your grip from young? If that really mattered then the Crown Prince wouldn't have betrayed his uncles to save his own brother from being framed.

Is it for drama purposes that Consort Hyo-bin & her son would be participating in all the royal events & hanging around the palace so much compared to real court history? It's just strange that the king who would caution full blooded brothers from the same mother for fear of them fighting over succession to keep an even more likely threat around so much.

Can't wait to see why Prince Choon-nyeong turn up when he did & how he knew that Chojungang's life will be in danger and why it's Baron Ok-Hwan's mens who are carrying out the mission of getting rid of her.

The former king is right ... King Taejong is really a lucky man to have such sons!! At first I was surprised that the 2nd prince would tell the uncle to go ahead & inform the father about the eldest brother's doing so that the uncle can let out the rage bottled inside him because it doesn't seem in character with him ... but it was such a wise move. Seems that he knew his uncle best of all ... and why he was so angry.

This drama is really intriguing ... because things are not always what it seems. I was taken aback that Hwang Hui would support the Prime Minister suggestion to remove Shim On from the Office of Slavery Reparation and wondering why would he do that ... until later when he had that talk with Yun Hwe. He knew that if Ha Ryun didn't get his way ... he'll come up with something else & ultimately it's the people who will pay the price behind all that court politics.

ya King Taejong is really lucky to have such two great sons . not only Prince Choon-nyeong but the 2nd prince too is a man of wisdom .

watching the conversation between Prince Choon-nyeong and the former king , i keep wondering if the crown prince is really worth what Price choon nyeong is doing for him !! why is he being so foolish to protect such an immoral act of his brother ! but at the same time , i cant help but be touched by his determination ..to protect his brother . sigh .does such a person really exist ..with such a personality ., he seem too good to be true . ..to have a person like Prince Choon-nyeong be king , the people is indeed blessed .

i was so worried for Prince Choon-nyeong when i see the former king went to met King Taejong , because i have no idea what was he going to say ..take the second prince 's advice or choose Prince Choon-nyeong 's option . and i really feel sorry for the Princess Shim .. :sweatingbullets: i meant how much can you trust your husband if he is accused of such indecent acts ..

tsk . The Queen ..sometimes i dun really understand her too but i must give her credits , her plot to make the Consort Hyo-bin 's son marry the daughter of the rebel ..now that is a good move .! ohhh i wonder if the girl really marry the Prince ..

tsk . The Queen ..sometimes i dun really understand her too but i must give her credits , her plot to make the Consort Hyo-bin 's son marry the daughter of the rebel ..now that is a good move .! ohhh i wonder if the girl really marry the Prince ..

lol ... when i first heard her suggest that ... i was thinking ... hmmm ... if consort hyo-bin's son marry the daughter of a rebel ... what makes her think that rebel won't assist in the prince's rebellion to snatch the crown from her son? so how is that a wise idea? other than trying to put consort hyo-bin down by suggesting such a match. i don't know ... the queen for all her scheming ... doesn't seem too smart to me? i mean ... how is it a good idea to try & poison the eunuch who's there to negotiate a treaty in the first place? :wacko:

maybe it's me but when i watch this drama ... i feel as if they don't paint the queen & her brothers very favorably. even though they might have assisted King Tae-jong to win his throne and perhaps their anger towards the king is justified as he tries to undermine them now that he's in power ... but they come across as power hungry & corrupt officials in the drama that i don't even feel sorry that the two uncle got disposed of. i only felt sorry for the crown prince that he had take down someone who had been his mentor since childhood in order to save his younger brother. and the king ... whilst coming off as a tyrant earlier on is given more multi faceted side to him which makes him a lot more interesting.

i don't think the girl will marry prince kyoung-nyeong ... otherwise ... what will happen to her slave lover? that'll be so sad~ :tears:

Guest zachposh

yea. i don't think the girl will marry prince kyoung-nyeong. that's for sure. i remembered someone saying in this forum that she would be sent away to china.

and in the show, that's probably going to happen. you see, i watched a few minutes of the trailer of i think, around episode 22 and i saw how the envoy's right-hand man was actually choosing that young girl, had quite a liking for her. well, it was quite a sad scene.

hmmph, in the trailer, i saw that young girl being sent away on the sedan, if i'm not wrong in the way i intepreted it that is.

i think she's probably being sent to china anyway.

oh well, the other sad lover, i think... sigh...

oooh ... so she might get picked for the china entourage eh? i kind of thought that's what will happen when her dad & prime minister ha-ryun was making snide comment about park eun being of service by picking a girl from his clan. and i was like ... not smart when he himself had a pretty daughter like Daion.

Guest kdramafanusa

March 19, 2008

[TV review]TV histories shed insight on politics today

18231230.jpg

“Sejong the Great” remains relevant to today’s society. [KBS-TV]

Kim Gu-il is a taxi driver with a 20-year career driving around the city. His four wheels bring home the bacon, send his three kids to school and make him an expert on Korean politics. He keeps abreast of current affairs by listening to the radio all day. I met him when I took his taxi to Itaewon one recent Friday evening, and I found myself impressed by Kim’s knowledge of politics. The traffic was heavy so we had time to chat, which made the delay bearable, although a little pricey. His thoughts about the presidency were especially inspiring. “You know, people blame former President Roh [Moo-hyun] for ruining the economy, but look at all the cars filling the streets. There is a mean side in people all joining voices to blame one person.” Kim stressed he is not a Roh supporter, and went on to share his concerns about the incumbent president. Admittedly, his discourse was not as sophisticated as Socrates, but he was convincing. Wrapping up his mini-lecture, Kim said, “I don’t understand why people want to take power. Look at the kings in the history dramas on TV. They all meet tragic endings after grabbing hold of power.”

I later took time to tune into the two most popular historical dramas on the box today ― “Sejong the Great” on KBS-TV on weekends at 9:40 p.m. and “Lee San” on MBC-TV on Mondays and Tuesdays at 10 p.m. History is the darling genre of Korean TV series. The kingdoms past are steeped in conspiracy, betrayal and love triangles. In recent months, the genre has found new appeal among viewers by making history relevant to today. The TV networks and producers have been focusing on reform-minded kings during the recent political season, which has included a presidential race for the Blue House and the debates over the upcoming elections for the National Assembly.

Lee San is about King Jeongjo of the mid-Joseon Dynasty, who is remembered for failed reforms aimed at creating a fairer society. Last week’s episode featured the king appointing his political enemies to his cabinet. “My ideal is to seek harmony in government, where we can debate policy pros and cons in an open way,” said the king. This storyline brings to mind President Lee Myung-bak’s cabinet, which has been urging appointees from the former administration to resign.

The title character in Sejong the Great is just a newborn baby in this drama, yet to be crowned. Sejong is perhaps the most respected king in Korean history. He created the Korean alphabet, Hangul, and appointed commoners to high positions in his government, to the chagrin of his higher-born advisers. No wonder Sejong has been a favorite subject of past historical dramas. In this show, we get an up-close-and-personal profile and see the king as an individual, not just as royalty.

Sejong’s elder brother is still the crown prince. He later gives up the chance to ascend the throne. In last Sunday’s episode, the crown prince lamented, “Everybody covets the throne. But in reality, people do not know that this palace is just a prison that squeezes you out.”

Perhaps Kim the taxi driver and I agree more with the crown prince. A friend of mine, who recently quit his job as a TV anchor for a seat in the National Assembly, would probably disagree. For my part, I enjoy freedom of speech over the bittersweet taste of holding the reins of power. Next time you get in a cab and the radio is tuned into a current affairs broadcast, check the driver’s name. Kim makes for a congenial host. He cruises the streets of Seoul throughout the day.

[sujiney@joongang.co.kr]

Source: JoongAng Daily

Guest popularlibrary

i don't think the girl will marry prince kyoung-nyeong ... otherwise ... what will happen to her slave lover? that'll be so sad~ :tears:

I don't know who she marries, but I believe her slave lover turns out to be the great scientist and inventor Jang Yeong-sil, historically one of the most important figures in helping create King Sejong's later reforms.

Guest dramaok

personally i find the dayeon and jeong-shil storyline such a bore..

i adored lee cheon-hee in 'hanseong' as the merchant rebel man-oh.. but man. something about his really ill-fitting wig and those intense eye glares in here taht makes him look more and more like a pervert or something.. not really buying his storyline..

and dayeon too. she's so boring. yes the actress is cute but her short neck makes me thnk of a pigeon everytime i see her.. and her lines are delivered in such a boring manner. actually all the younger cast women are boring so far.. the older generation, the queen and hyobin, and abdicated king's mistress are so much more powerful to watch.. especially the queen.. for me.

also.. i think park sang-min is really stealing the show from kim sang kyeong.. well i know the story is still early.. but sejong's greatness is really in his latter reign i don't know why they are focusing so much on his early prince days.. it's starting to look too much like the mbc sageuk.. and i'm getting rather impatient. i like the more fusion approach they took in the pilot episodes.. the recent episodes are dragging already.. hope they can take it up a notch or they will lose more audience soon.. there's already 2 powerful longwinded joseon politics drama out right now. let's focus more on the science the scholarship the love and everything else..

oh i guess i have a lotta compains today. :sweatingbullets:

Guest eumsung

my dad really wants to watch this drama.. can anyone PM me where i can download all the episodes so far? thank you~

btw i've tried clicking on the posted streaming links but they haven't been working for me..

Guest irispurple

my dad really wants to watch this drama.. can anyone PM me where i can download all the episodes so far? thank you~

btw i've tried clicking on the posted streaming links but they haven't been working for me..

Try D-Addicts under DaeWangSaeJong.

Guest uop1497

Try D-Addicts under DaeWangSaeJong.

Does anyone here know where I can download English sub tittle for The great King Sejong. I am really appreciated your help.

the episodes are beginning to get a bit more boring for me. seriously ... i don't really care about the life & death of chogunjang ... after seeing how she shamelessly and recklessly throw herself at the crown prince in bright daylight out of passion when he scorned her after his conquest of her heart. helloooo ... was she seriously expecting they are going to have any outcome considering she's his uncle's mistress? if she really love the crown prince that desperately then she ought to have consider what her actions would do to him. prince choon-nyeong can oft get tiresome with his saintly interference at times. i wish he stick his nosy nose out of this matter & just work on the slavery reparation office.

anyway, seems like the king finally managed to capture chogunjang by having princess shim watched & followed? heh~ i hope they get rid of her now so they can move on next ... like quickly revealing what's this blueprint of joseon that the doddering prime minister ha-ryun supposedly had that makes him a threat to the king and also why the king did not accept his manipulated resignation? and is jo malseng ... a spy for the king or is he playing a game on his own ... because he reveals certain thing and hides certain thing from the king as well.

and isn't the queen kind of a hypocrite that she & her family support her husband when he had to go through a bloody battle with his brothers for the throne ... but now she can think of no better ways than to exile one of her son so there will be no bloodshed between the brothers? and instead of getting rid of threats ... she should have spent more constructive time by making sure the crown prince learn well on how to be a good king & win the support of his people? and earlier on ... when they were talking about exiling choon-nyeong ... it was referred to as being akin to death for him since it's still as dangerous leaving him out there where people can still make use of him to make a threat for the throne. if that's the case ... then how does sending choon-nyeong away do any good ... even if the crown prince didn't fight him head on ... he's still the reason why his brother is being sent to his death? and if the abdicated king can abdicate gracefully to king tae-jong without any bloodshed ... then shouldn't that set an example?

personally i think lee cheon-hee looks a bit crazed with that 'wig' & 'intense' look~ and yar ... his storyline with Daion is ZZzzz for me too. i hope she really goes to China & that's the end so he can move on to being more than a crazed looking slave languishing over his lady love. i was laughing my head off when i saw the girls handpicked for the emperor ... no wonder the envoy got pissed~

maybe i haven't been paying enough attention ... but who is the court lady who paid the deaf mute artist to draw those scandalous pictures of the crown prince trysts with his uncle's mistress? at first i thought it was consort hyo-bin but looks like i was wrong. i thought it could have been baron okh-hwan's group too but i don't remember seeing the link yet. and is prince choon-nyeong up to something because at first i he would have caught on to jeon ilji being baron's okh hwan's spy after galchi saw him entering the merchant place by the back door.

and i really want to smack the crown prince head when he was going on & on with the stupid expedition to LiaoDong yaddi yadda ... at least the Confucian scholar woke up to the reality after being told to see with their own eyes what their lofty ideals comes down to.

ok ... end of rant~ :lol:

Guest Hanjae

Does anyone here know where I can download English sub tittle for The great King Sejong. I am really appreciated your help.

It's on D-addicts as well. There's been a KBS World hardsub rip for episode 1 in the torrents, and softsubs for episodes 1-4. Just look in the index of softsub threads, under "Dae Wang Sejong."

Guest uop1497

It's on D-addicts as well. There's been a KBS World hardsub rip for episode 1 in the torrents, and softsubs for episodes 1-4. Just look in the index of softsub threads, under "Dae Wang Sejong."

Hanjae,

Can you please post me a link to that soft sub you mentioned. I can not find it. Thanks.

Guest Hanjae

Hanjae,

Can you please post me a link to that soft sub you mentioned. I can not find it. Thanks.

Woops! I got it mixed up with the newest releases for Single Dad in Love (how I managed to do that, I have no idea). So there's only been softsubs released for Episode 1, not 1-4. But here you go anyway:

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_59833.htm

Enjoy.

Archived