Help! Rogers Question.

cdee

HELLO ALL!

I have two questions... does anyone know the chinese line number for Rogers? My mom lost it :x (I tried searching the site)

And I'm moving in like a month and my parents think its a good time to change my internet cause they think Rogers is too overpriced.

And my mom want to use Bell. So i'm wondering is bell better or rogers?

:lol:

Guest beaver4ever

Umm...that's a debatable question

Rogers: Faster Theoretical Speeds but slower during peak times (when lots of people get on), throttle a lot of ports

Bell: More reliable at peak times, pretty stable connection, don't know if they are starting to throttle ports now?

anyways.....i don't think it'll be a big concern on your part if u switch or stay with ur current ISP. The difference between the two is barely noticeable and is mostly based on where you live. With Bell..if you live closer to the CO (where the dsl is provided) then the better chance of your connection being better. Well hope that helps a bit. My brother works for Rogers, but we have Bell Sympatico..haha...go figure huh? I can't really say which one is better, cuz again it'll be based on where and how far you live from the CO. Good luck.

Guest Mirae-chan

Bell.. 30GB dl/upload limit per month. aghhh. I think you can upgrade for a higher limit though

I'm not sure about Rogers.. check the dl/upload limit thou O_O!

they're both around the same speed imo~ (unless i'm totally wrong lol)

Guest saranghae<3

I dont think Rogers has any download/upload limit cuz i have never heard of it... and I have been using Rogers for 5 years now. =]

Rogers is pretty good but yeah, they ALWAYS overprice everything. They increase their prices after a while. Its kinda annoying.

I have ever had Bell because my house can not be connected to Bell for some reason...

Guest lalal0ve

rogers has a 60gb download limit and bell charged me over 60$ for over downloading so yeah and that was on my old comp where my harddrive was only 19gb.. go figure.

Guest GAMA_SENNIN

I second that rogers has a 60gb upload/download limit, because I got a letter saying I need to limit mine xD. If you do go over, your speed is going to be throttled for the next month. On the other hand, Bell charges you for each mb you go over, I think.

Guest Raw Sugar

Hmm, weird. I used to have Rogers (like 5 years ago) and switched to Bell because Rogers had a download/upload limit. And now the Bell plan we're using doesn't seem to have a limit. :\ Maybe it's just the plan that we're on, since we just recently renewed the contract.

Ohh, I just asked my brother about the limit on Bell. My bro actually called Bell and complained since our old plan didn't have a limit and all the new ones do. So he made them give us unlimited download/upload, or else it would've been a 60GB limit. Don't know how much this helps you though. x]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest willyly

i dunno about all those technical terms (not very hardware computer person~)

but juz my experience

go for Bell Sympatico

(but yea really depends on where you live)

i used to use Rogers about like 2-3 years ago

(i live around pmall)

they cut my connection off THREE times without notice

everytime i called they gave me attitude

keep saying we download too much

i got so mad i juz told my dad to switch to Bell

since then, connection has been faster

i can watch videos online on asian sites, actually seeing the video

rather than juz hearing the sounds

(back then i dun think youtube was too popular)

Guest res0nate

Bell charges $1.5 for every GB you go over the 60GB limit, a MAX amount of $30. So if you download more than 80GB/month, you might as well download a couple of hundred if you don't mind the extra charges.

If you can convince Bell to get you on a unlimited (which is that, unlimited rather than "unlimited") plan, go for it. But if you can get Bell DSL service then you might as well sign up on TekSavvy. $30 with a 200GB cap.

Teksavvy uses Bell's infrastructure. So if you're a current Bell member and get terrible speeds, don't expect too much of a difference if you switch.

If you're a heavy p2p user (bittorrent, etc) stay off Rogers.

Bell as of late has been p2p throttling random people during certain times of the day though.

I've yet to personally experience that.

If you use ISP newsgroups do not sign up under Bell. Besides if you were an avid NG user, you'd use a separate service anyway.

So talk to Bell (if you don't want Teksavvy, Rogers or another ISP) and make sure you get the best deal possible. You could try to aim for $29/month for 8 months, "up to" 7MB service and unlimited cap.

edit - nice, topic is nearly a month old.

Make sure you take note of what a CSR offers you and keep tabs on your bills. Bell has quite the rep. to, at times, throw random charges at you.

I got off bell a long time ago and I think they're all bumholes.

I remembered like a year ago when I went to Futureshop and they offered me 3 months free of bell internet I agreed but never called in to activate, they went along with it anyways.

So after 3 months my net got cut off and not only did I get charged by Bell, but also the provider I am on.

I got so pissed I called into complain and they were such jerks about it.

I got charged before by Bells when I used to have it for downloading too much. I hated it cause they put the limit on without any warning.

I'm on Primus now and it's a heck lot more decent

Archived