Self-taught Dancers - Tips?

Guest webmagine

I cannot stress enough how important stretching is. So, STRETCH STRETCH STRETCH! You don't want to pull a muscle, that's the worst thing a dancer could do.

Don't forget to stretch before doing any type of dancing, even just practicing choreography.

Keep watching those videos on YouTube, especially those of professional dancers/more experienced dancers. You'll see how passionate they are when they dance. Be sure that whenever you dance, you put power into it. ESPECIALLY HIP HOP, learn how to hit and hit hard. Flow with the beat, so when the beat drops you should be able to hit at the same rhythm. It really makes everything look better when you put emotion into anything.

Just remember, dancing is an art form --- express yourself through this art.

Don't be afraid to get into the music, to add emotion.

It'll make the biggest difference between looking like you can dance, and looking like you're just trying to imitate something you saw in a music video.

Guest KoweanTeddie

actually, i've heard people say that copying someone elses moves is a compliment since it shows that you like their moves. but i dunno i just heard that from somewhere. go on youtube and look up "jabbawockeez" they have great control and style so you might enjoy their styles. everytime you practice try recording it on a video and seeing what your doing wrong.

as centric said you should stretch a lot. it helps you put variations into your dancing like dancing high or low etc.

balance is important for beginners but that kinda comes as you practice moves. maybe practice spinning on your feet it helps with control.

don't rush the moves. when you find moves you like, don't try and make them strong straight away. work through the motion of it then gradually make it more energetic and smooth.

oh and if you get to the stage of performing infront of an audience .. DON'T LOOK DOWN AT YOUR FEET ! always look up at the audience and you'll look much mroe confident.

Guest iya.donghae

if u wanna stand out from all the other dancers. meaning: have original style.

do not look at youtube. thats just like plain biting (meaning copying moves), and dont copy moves from another dancer cause the dancer has like put so much time and effort trying to make up their own moves..and u just taking their moves is just plain disrespect .

instead go experiment with lots of diff music and experiment with your body to these music/rhythms.

That isn't a good idea when you're a beginner.

All people copy dances at first. Like, when going into dance lessons, the teachers don't just let you break loose and do whatever you like. They will teach you basic moves and moves of their own, and from that you'll start branching out.

Beginners usually do steps their teachers give/teach them so they can have a good foundation.

You cannot accomplish anything without a steady foundation.

And as centric said, stretch. I once danced without stretching, and I woke up with a sore body. Not pleasant.

Guest benjaminlibl

if u wanna stand out from all the other dancers. meaning: have original style.

do not look at youtube. thats just like plain biting (meaning copying moves), and dont copy moves from another dancer cause the dancer has like put so much time and effort trying to make up their own moves..and u just taking their moves is just plain disrespect .

instead go experiment with lots of diff music and experiment with your body to these music/rhythms.

Agree partially. All dancers have to start somewhere, and copying is usually the easiest way they learn. Like when kids start to learn to talk, if they didn't mimic how could they know what to say?

In my opinion copying moves are not biting. Everyone has the same moves, they just do it differently and in different variations. So I consider if someone copies a particular moveset from another dancer a bite. Or if someone does moves the exact same way. If you think that copying moves is biting, no one is going to learn ANY kind of dance at all.

Examples. In locking, you have the basic moves, points and wrist twirls. If others do wrist twirls and you do them too does that make you a biter?

Or popping. There are arm waves and tutting. Just cause others do those and you do too that don't make you a biter.

But if you do the move the EXACT same way they do it, that's biting.

If you expect someone who just started learning a dance to have their own style, you must be a little whack.

I am not encouraging biting though people.

PS. This is for self-taught dancers. I'm sure you can learn through a book but there are those of us who learn from watching.

Guest ji.eun<3

Watch videos like crazy (:

That's what I did (still do lol) but now I go to a hiphop class.

But if you want to learn a specific dance, just keep watching the sequence, rewind, watch it again and again, keep trying and eventually you'll get it.

Guest benjaminlibl

I'm thinking of going to a class but it's not really convenient. They only hold them on Sundays. It's really sad cause some guy told be classes help ALOT.

Archived