Age Differences [Opinions]

nosilla

I want to know from your guys perspective on this. I've met a lot of couples as of where the girl would be 17 and the guy would be 18 and some people would disapprove of it, but some are okay with it cause of the 1 year age difference only. By law, it says that 2 years max is the dating age limit; but when you're 18 it's all too wrong to touch a minor...I shouldn't be brining the past into this, but your grandparents have been in the same situation too just that it was legal.

I know a boy who is 17 and his girlfriend is 19, no one says anything about it cause she's the girl...shady is it not? So what's your opinion?

I'm not sure what country you are from but in the US there is no law that limits dating. There is a law for the "age of consent". I'm not sure if that is what you are thinking about, but that law doesn't limit dating. The only thing that gets in the way of dating in terms of age is where each person is on their life journey and if they would be able to understand each other. 

I'm a devout American Christian and I think 7-8 years difference is the maximum for being in an acceptable threshold.
What really matters is that they get along and they're at the same emotional and intellectual level.
A 28 year old can have the same level of maturity or immaturity as a 20 year old. They might be quite compatible and get along well.

Guest phalken

I think the OP means it's illegal in terms of statutory rape? In which case I think it actually varies by state. I think in NJ it was like within 4 years difference exempts you from the statutory rape clause or something, but this only applies if there's sex involved. Otherwise, there's no legal limit on dating a minor, though if the difference is huuuuge then the issue of consent becomes an issue (like if a kid is under 10 it's hard to argue they can "consent" to making out with an adult).
My own rule of thumb is generally the 'divide by 2 plus 7" rule lol. So at 18, the youngest to not-sketchily-date would be roughly 16, which sounds about ballpark right since anyone significantly younger is gonna be in like middleschool and that's just shady. 30 year old limit would be 22 (I've had friends who dated guys in late 20s-early 30s during college), Makes sense to me.

Guest johnpatric

Honestly if you really love someone then age, distance height and weight all are just number and both of them don't have any problem with that then I think its now a major stuff.. well I have one friend and her parents have a 3 years of age gape. and the inspiring thing is her mon is 3 older then her father, and they are really happy together so its all depends on us how we take the things. 

• 1 month later...
Guest Shimmery_Perfect

During high school, I know a lot of people find it "nasty" with age gap differences, especially if one is barely 18 and the other is 15. But honestly age is a number most of the time and you'll learn that later in life eventually.

The laws of the land have painted a picture of what age is acceptable for this or that, and what isn't.

Look into our history, and you will see that this subject has fluctuated quite a bit.

Obey the law, but don't be fooled by social convention, it'll make you stupid, and deprive you of any real understanding.

Guest I_play_with_dolls

In my state the age of consent is 16, so when you're at that age you can date anyone you want. Of course I don't think a 16 year old should date a 21-year old because I doubt they're mentally prepared to go out with someone who is that much older. Age does matter to a certain point, when you're a young teenager I feel like dating older people is a no-no. Hell I'm 19 and I can't see myself with anyone older than 24 at the moment. When you get much older, like in your 30's, age differences ceases to be much of a problem. 

Guest samuelduval1

There is not such type of laws in US, nothing is matter in US for having a relationship. Love is beyond the age limit, love does not follow any laws and rules, love is having there own rules and regulations. 

The law is there to protect citizens.
But I don't see the problem dating between 17 and 18 year old.I think the assumption is whoever dates, they will have sex. If they refine from having sex, shouldn't that mean there is no problem? 

Guest juchocho

Noone really cares except the parents I guess.  It wouldn't look weird if both of them goes to highschool since it would be dating between sophomore and junior or senior.  And lot of people date like 5 + years apart too so like 1 or 2 years apart wouldn't be a problem haha I also heard there is Romeo&Juliet law somewhere in US, which is like dating minor is ok when both approve.

Eastern philosophy suggests 4 years is the ideal age gap. 
i think 10 years is the absolute max gap. 
romeo and juliet law is for people who were dating as minors, say, if you were dating when the guy was 17 and the girl was 14, then it would ok for the guy to do w/e with the girl when he is 18 and she is 15. in California at least there is also a 2 year window, if you are 19 and she is 17 apparently it is ok  (not 100% on this one)
over 10 year gap in age just means you aren't serious about your future... you will leave your spouse a widow, your children will finish college without a father. you will never walk your daughter down the isle to give her away to the man she loves. and you will never hold your son's son. 
and even if u live a long time, u will be too old and in poor health, as well as deteriorating mind. they found ways to extend life in almost every sense, except the brain still starts to fail... possibly a fate worse than death.

Guest Tofu_Cloud

a range 5 years up and 5 years down is fine.

For ME i prefer a range 1-4 years. I dont know why but dating a guy 5 years younger sounds different than dating a guy 4 years younger.

are you kidding me? only a year difference won't make a big deal. I was 16 when I get together with my fiance, he was 19 at the time.
If you're worried that the 18+ touch minors is bad, then simply don't "touch" her/him (much) lol

In the end, when we all are already passed our legal age, then age is just numbers. I don't mind dating someone 5-10 years older than me. But if someone likes to date with much older or younger person (like more than 10, or worse 20 years), then he/she probably should check themselves. Do they have father/mother complex? :P

Guest ashkechumofficial

Since I've always been into older men, I would say that age doesn't matter as long as the two are genuinely in love with each other. An 18-year-old dating a 90-year-old, however, would be a bit strange.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest youngdan

It seems that the older you get, the wider the acceptable age gap.  I think once people hit late 20s or 30s or seriously consider marriage, age really gets kicked down a few notches.  But it seems super common for asian women to date like 10+ years older. 

For me it's just a matter of "how you were brought up by your parents- with the values and beliefs they've instilled on you", "the culture/country/ and society you came to grew up with" and "your personal preference". Dating can be done by teenagers, sometimes even at the age of 15-16. I guess the real issue won't be the age gaps when it comes to dating and liking each other. It only becomes an issue: if the couple are considering marriage if they are still minors as per the legal age required by law to do so (they won't be allowed); and for most countries that would be 18 years old(I believe some would still require parental consent for this). Or if the loved ones or family members disapproves of the idea of you being together. I guess if both of you really love each other then prove your detractors wrong and if both of you are still minors then wait till the day you can legally marry each other for the meantime obey and do the things your parents wants you to do or achieve in life or compromise if needs be.       

Archived