Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are smart phones(iPhone 4s specifically) worth it?

2»

Replies

• lalosokelalosoke Posts: 109Member

ROOKIE

edited February 2012
    If you are not going to use apps, get an android
    if you care about battery life, get an iphone
    if you like big screens get an android
    If you like smooth user interface with little to no lag, get an iphone
    If you want to get your moneys worth get an iphone
    If you plan to have an iphone that holds value get an iphone
    due to iphone 4s' A5 chip, this gives them the benefit of more apps than android. 
    If you dont plan on getting your phone jailbroken, dont ever think about getting an iphone - it's not worth it. but if you do jailbreak, it's level is beyond of that any android can offer

Android kills battery like no tomorrow. They come with customization but come on, apple can do that too if you do jailbreak your phone! and how many people really uses "open source" - programs only section
    iphone 4s have retina display. something android can't compete with in terms of display clarity.
    3g 4g, it all depends on your plan and preference. but keep in mine that the second you turn on 4g, it's a battery drainer.
    sure android is cheaper but you essentially pay for quality. 
    android has a bigger battery yet the battery dissipate faster than an iphone

Im not being biased
    bottom line, if you plan to jailbreak your iphone, which is better than rooting an android, the possibility to customize your phone, the apps, user interface, and usability is beyond that of any android
  • JJLJJL Posts: 166Member
    edited February 2012
    how apple products are made
    I saw this in the news today. I actually read it in the news before.. but this video and watching what is actually going is unbelievable

thus it's not even worth a penny after knowing this.
  • orangemanorangeman Posts: 2,650Friend of Soompi

IDOL

edited February 2012
    Stop spreading the nonsense. 

Do you think Samsung or Nokia makes their phones in ethical conditions? Nokia just shut down the last of their European plants recently and moved more of its production lines to Asia, cutting 4000 jobs across three factories in the process. Any public outrage against one of the biggest manufacturers of mobile devices by volume? 23% of all global sales yet so few questions and concerns held against them. Samsung is not better but since media coverage is low on these issues (since few consumers give a crap to learn how the things they own are produced), their antics go unreported.
  • Tonyc402Tonyc402 London OntarioPosts: 4,549Member
    lalosoke wrote on 27 February 2012 - 08:53 AM:

If you are not going to use apps, get an android
    if you care about battery life, get an iphone
    if you like big screens get an android
    If you like smooth user interface with little to no lag, get an iphone
    If you want to get your moneys worth get an iphone
    If you plan to have an iphone that holds value get an iphone
    due to iphone 4s' A5 chip, this gives them the benefit of more apps than android. 
    If you dont plan on getting your phone jailbroken, dont ever think about getting an iphone - it's not worth it. but if you do jailbreak, it's level is beyond of that any android can offer

Android kills battery like no tomorrow. They come with customization but come on, apple can do that too if you do jailbreak your phone! and how many people really uses "open source" - programs only section
    iphone 4s have retina display. something android can't compete with in terms of display clarity.

3g 4g, it all depends on your plan and preference. but keep in mine that the second you turn on 4g, it's a battery drainer.
    sure android is cheaper but you essentially pay for quality. 
    android has a bigger battery yet the battery dissipate faster than an iphone

Im not being biased
    bottom line, if you plan to jailbreak your iphone, which is better than rooting an android, the possibility to customize your phone, the apps, user interface, and usability is beyond that of any android

If you are going to bring in the fact that you can jailbreak iphone , then its fair to say that rooting a Android device will get you better battery life and more functionality depending on the rom you use . I have a galaxy nexus and have rooted it with a custom rom and im quite satisfied with the battery usage the phone uses(even though yes it may not last as long but it still last for more than a days worth, further, I charge my phone before I go to sleep anyways so it barely bothers me) . And in terms of customization, no it cant really compare ..... you still get the same looking app tiles you get in stock . Can it get widgets on the homescreen? no it cant , and lets not forget Apple pretty much ripped the idea of pull-down notification from Android when they introduced iOS5. And with regards to retina display, it can compete , I mean look at the galaxy nexus ;the colour contrast from Super AMOLED HD and 720p display (dpi 316 vs iphone 330dpi). So in terms of display clarity it can compare very closely to the iPhone's retina display.
    dy0wtx0xpxxAiMangobbpanida

IDOL

edited February 2012
    I don't understand why people buy iPhones to jailbreak. I thought the point was to have a phone that had consistent software releases, works pretty well on its own with some simple customization options, and has an App Store and specific standard features that is central to the controlled experience. 

Are people really not willing to pay some developer a few dollars for their work?
  • Tonyc402Tonyc402 London OntarioPosts: 4,549Member
    orangeman wrote on 29 February 2012 - 12:06 AM:

I don't understand why people buy iPhones to jailbreak. I thought the point was to have a phone that had consistent software releases, works pretty well on its own with some simple customization options, and has an App Store and specific standard features that is central to the controlled experience. 

Are people really not willing to pay some developer a few dollars for their work?

Unfortunately not .....people are cheap .
  • Poetic ProphetPoetic Prophet Notebook Dreamer UranusPosts: 940Friend of Soompi
    I work for att and this is why its hard for me to really promote android. The idea of open source software, customization and having the most bad Richard Simmons phone out there is appealing to most people, but like orangeman has stated quite a bit "most people arent willing to do that. With apple you have a consistent release cycle "new year, new phone" while android you have hundreds of manufacturers (maybe im exaggerating) releasing new phones every week. And its not just an ATT problem. Verizon released what the Droid bionic, Razr, Razr Maxx, and Galaxy nexus all within the span of what 3 weeks? as a consumer its hard, because you are always going to be wanting the best of the best. Its just hard to decide, and to stick with it.

This is why i will always have an iphone. Sure the screen maybe minuscule and it may not have awesome specs like the nokia 9808pureview with its 41 MP sensor or the quadcore processor of HTC's OneX(the overseas version at least), but what i will have is a consistent, user friendly, and enjoyable phone.
    "DJ Lyrakil-Saving Kitties since '05"

The Fudge-Midnight Requiem-I Remember}
    Rest in Peace, Grandma...Thank you for everything (1922-2005)
  • talislintalislin USAPosts: 28Member
    Pros: 
    - LOTS of Apps (Some more random than others)
    - Cloud syncing (sync your iPhone with your iTunes & Mac & any other iAccessories you have)
    - iOS upgrades
    - LOTS of iPhone skins/cases (especially if you like K-Pop groups)

Cons:
    - You constantly have to upgrade
    - Your iPhone will be outdated within a year or two. Apple pops out iPhones like nobody's business
    - If you drop it on a hard surface, consider your screen to be unsalvageable. You will have a cracked screen like everyone else.

If you want an iPhone 4S, I would suggest that you buy it after Apple releases the next generation of the iPhone (unless you want the newest version) because then, the iPhone 4S would be much more cheaper. (Kind of how the 3G went from being $100+ to pretty much free now).

If you're with AT&T, I wouldn't suggest buying unlimited data because it's not worth it unless you're downloading HD movies every single day. Also, AT&T recently got lots of complaints about them slowing down the data speeds for those who have unlimited plans.

It honestly depends on what you're looking for and if you think that the phone is worth spending all that money.

~*~*~*~ Visit SweetSeoulmate at http://sweetseoulmate.com/shop ~*~*~*~
    Cute Korean stationery, phone cases, K-pop merchandise, Beauty products, jewelry, and more!

IDOL

edited March 2012
    This is why i will always have an iphone. Sure the screen maybe minuscule and it may not have awesome specs like the nokia 9808pureview with its 41 MP sensor or the quadcore processor of HTC's OneX(the overseas version at least), but what i will have is a consistent, user friendly, and enjoyable phone. 

It's a shame Nokia is playing the numbers game - the flagship models have always carried high quality cameras with Zeiss lenses. By the way, here's one of many articles debunking PureView.

I mentioned it in the other thread but quad cores right now are redundant and waste of die space (and resources). Developers are starting to utilize dual-cores and by the time they move beyond that, the hardware will be entirely different. I feel the tech-savvy people expect a doubling every year due to Moore's Law but it makes more sense to improve software and scale the hardware accordingly, not blindly inserting bigger numbers that do not improve the user experience or benefit the device in any way.  

talislin wrote on 06 March 2012 - 01:32 PM:

Pros: 
    - iOS upgrades

Cons:
    - You constantly have to upgrade
    - Your iPhone will be outdated within a year or two. Apple pops out iPhones like nobody's business

iOS 5 supports the iPhone 3GS released back in 2009 and that is already beyond most people's carrier contracts. 3-year life cycle is not bad at all considering the pace of technology and there is no "need" to upgrade. Obsolescence feeds on consumerism and the desire to upgrade, not the need for something newer or faster after a year. 

Look at the other side with Android and one will be lucky to have a phone still supported by the manufacturer after a year. Which is great news considering someone is tied into a 2-year contract and subsidize the retail price of a smartphone over 24 months with higher monthly payments. 

http://speirs.org/bl...ut-android.html
    http://theunderstate...tory-of-support 
    http://arstechnica.c...-40-upgrade.ars

I don't care for either platform but customers need to know what they're buying into. Open source is not an excuse or reason to screw the customer/user when it comes to updates and security, especially not when a giant like Google is backing the platform. One thing Apple is doing right is shifting control away from carriers, something Android has failed to do since its first release. Customer loyalty and satisfaction is what matters at the end of the day and in this whole world, only a few brands still believe in such things.
  • synergyzsynergyz ny,or,va,caPosts: 407Member
    bbpanida wrote on 18 February 2012 - 03:01 AM:

It's worth it. The ipone4s is a good phone.

Plus. You probably will end up keeping it for a few years. Most likely 2 years until u can upgrade.

If you don't want to dish out $200 for 4s, you can buy the 4 for $99. The few differences are the camera resolution, speed, and Siri. 4s is pretty much just an upgrade of the 4. Not that big od a difference to me.

its a good everything besides a phone

ftfy
    I don't mind being the smartest person in the world, I just wish it wasn't this one

ROOKIE

edited March 2012
    I've used both. 
    iphone uses premium materials. glass, metal, no plastic screen. quality >

google even knows that they've stolen the widgets from Jobs. It's been said in news and in his bio. google prematurely released it before apple could refine the idea then release.

you don't have to upgrade every year - that's nonesense. Technology advances at such a fast pace that what you buy today will be cheaper the next, and in a month, a new release, in a year obsolete. It's up to the user to determine if the gadget at hand could still satisfy their needs.

From android to iphone - you'll say wow iphone is so much better (jailbroken)
    iphone (non jb) to android - wow android is so much better

people don't necessarily jailbreak their phone for FREE apps. They jailbreak their phone to push their phone to it's limits.
    It's like a car enthusiast. He won't buy a car cuz it's already fast. He'll buy a car because of it's potential when taken a step further

OP, if the provider gives you a 2 weeks trial, why not try both phones.
    Go with iphone, if you don't like it, return and get the droid. I do however assure you that once you get an iphone (jailbroken) you'll be happy :)
    check kijiji. people always have phones for cheap. buy then sell or get it from your phone provider.

in terms of stock benchmark here
    http://www.anandtech...gpu-than-ipad-2

Here's one from a friends perspective

I recently switched from the EVO 4G to a iPhone 4S and I must say am I happy with my decision. I had a iPhone 3GS with ATT over two years ago before I switched BACK to Sprint because of the data caps and ridiculous prices and charges of ATT's rate plans. However, it comes at a price. Here are some of my points...

Pros: 
    -Beautiful and solid design using excellent materials. 
    -Screen Resolution is insane, albeit on a smaller screen size than Evo.
    -Benefits of Jailbreaking 
    -App Store has a LOT more stuff then when I last used it over 2 years ago on my 3GS
    -Apps are a LOT better than anything i've found on Android Market. Quality is superb
    -Great Camera for point and shoot
    -Apple build quality (as compared to a ipod touch and Macbook Pro i've had over the years)
    -Great music player
    -Accessories for iPhone 4 are... anything you can think of they probably have. Insane amount of choices. 
    -Sprint iPhone. Unlimited Data. Enough Said. 
    -Siri - For those who say they don't care, or wouldn't use it... after using it for 10 days now it is amazing. WAY better than Android's voice recognition. I don't have to enunciate when I talk to get accurate voice to text, and I can literally do almost anything by talking to the phone. Just a hour ago i said very casually in my natural free-flowing voice," Siri, make a appointment for next Wednesday at 9:30am for a haircut," and boom there it was marked in my calendar. I am very impressed with it. I have been trying things to say to Siri since I got the phone. Like, sending a text message is as simple as," Send a text message to dad and say "i am looking forward to seeing you." Then siri reads it back and asks if I want her to send it and I say yes, and she sends the text. It is very very useful and very fun. 

Cons:
    -No swappable battery (I always carried a spare for my Evo in my wallet)
    -Battery life can go pretty quick on the 4S depending on how you use it. I am a heavy user so I have a charger with me everywhere. One at home, at work, and in the car. 
    -No expandable memory (16gb = $199; 32gb = $299; 64gb = $399)
    -Have to use iTunes to sync... YUCK. john teshing hate iTunes. 
    -GPS navigation (from what i've found) is nothing compared to Google Navigation unless you pay $50 for the Navigon App or something more expensive (or jailbroken)
    -Smaller screen (3.5") Really? They haven't increased this in 5 years. Virtually every phone's screen is bigger now. People WANT a bigger screen. (4" = perfect)
    Not as versatile as Android for doing certain things such as custom ringtones, or whatever... To get a much better experience and more versatile usage out of the phone you have to jailbreak it. 

So why did I choose a iPhone? In all honesty, I dropped my Evo in the toilet and was forced to upgrade... Note to come to Sprint, and I was stuck at the Sprint Store and was stuck between having to pick between the Motorola Photon, Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic Touch 4G, and the iPhone 4S. I didn't want the smaller screen... that was my primary hitch and the Galaxy S2 had a beautiful 4.5" AMOLED Plus screen as opposed to the iPhone's 3.5" IPS Retina 640x960 display. For me, it was like going from a 55" flat screen in my living room to a 30". Not okay. So, after thinking about it and playing with the phone a LOT at the store and going back and forth and back and forth and back and forth I settled with the iPhone. I honestly have gotten used to using the iPhone now and that much larger screen is not as big of a deal to me once I gave it up. iPhone is very impressive all around. Great build quality, very thin, feels like it's a high-quality item, very impressive resolution. 

However, if the iPhone had a at least 4" screen (I think a 4" screen would be the perfect size for the phone. just remove the thick bezel at the top and bottom) then it would be the one i would have not hesitated to pick going into the Sprint store. 

i would say go with the iPhone just to try it out if you are already thinking about it. I went into the store undecided initially. Hey, even if you don't like it they gave me a 14 day trial period to try it out so if I don't like it I can bring it back. I'm not a subservient brand follower, but I can suggest the iPhone based on what i've experienced so far coming from Android and loving Android and my Evo. Good luck in your decision, however if you do get a iPhone 4S. Jailbreak it! you can do soooo much more with the phone by doing it.

Im not biased or anything. I'm, we are, just giving ideas from experience
    OP good luck with your choice

• CrunchyrunchyCrunchyrunchy Posts: 642Member

IDOL

edited March 2012
    I honestly hate using Itunes to sync media onto my Iphone so that is why I got an Android instead.

lalosoke wrote on 06 March 2012 - 07:33 PM:

I've used both. 
    iphone uses premium materials. glass, metal, no plastic screen. quality >

google even knows that they've stolen the widgets from Jobs. It's been said in news and in his bio. google prematurely released it before apple could refine the idea then release.

you don't have to upgrade every year - that's nonesense. Technology advances at such a fast pace that what you buy today will be cheaper the next, and in a month, a new release, in a year obsolete. It's up to the user to determine if the gadget at hand could still satisfy their needs.

From android to iphone - you'll say wow iphone is so much better (jailbroken)
    iphone (non jb) to android - wow android is so much better

people don't necessarily jailbreak their phone for FREE apps. They jailbreak their phone to push their phone to it's limits.
    It's like a car enthusiast. He won't buy a car cuz it's already fast. He'll buy a car because of it's potential when taken a step further

OP, if the provider gives you a 2 weeks trial, why not try both phones.
    Go with iphone, if you don't like it, return and get the droid. I do however assure you that once you get an iphone (jailbroken) you'll be happy :)
    check kijiji. people always have phones for cheap. buy then sell or get it from your phone provider.

in terms of stock benchmark here
    http://www.anandtech...gpu-than-ipad-2

Here's one from a friends perspective

Im not biased or anything. I'm, we are, just giving ideas from experience
    OP good luck with your choice

one of the con your friend  forgot was that Iphones are under saturated in colors. 
  • AntzAntz 211107 ? Perth, AustraliaPosts: 16,953Member

IDOL

It was definitely worth it for me. It's practically my whole life - it has everything I need for every day. The camera is great (at times), connecting online is so easy, and it's definitely user friendly. It does depend on how you'll use it, but I love mine. My comtract runs out this year and I could still live with my iPhone 4, but I'd be more than happy to get the next one after the 4s :)
    ❥
    tumblr twitter

ROOKIE

Crunchyrunchy wrote on 12 March 2012 - 08:52 AM:

I honestly hate using Itunes to sync media onto my Iphone so that is why I got an Android instead.

one of the con your friend  forgot was that Iphones are under saturated in colors. 

You know you can turn off sync on all and add everything manually right? That's what Im doing because like you, i hate auto sync, back up, etc etc.
    Thank god there's an option for that =)

Extra image contrast does improve it's lack of saturation.

Did you know iphone has the sharpest smartphone display and 23% sharper than the nearest competitor (retina display)

IDOL

edited March 2012
    lalosoke wrote on 12 March 2012 - 07:37 PM:

You know you can turn off sync on all and add everything manually right? That's what Im doing because like you, i hate auto sync, back up, etc etc.
    Thank god there's an option for that =)

Extra image contrast does improve it's lack of saturation.

Did you know iphone has the sharpest smartphone display and 23% sharper than the nearest competitor (retina display)

I don't know... I always heard you have to use itunes to sync your music and stuff.

The Super Amoled Plus display has better contrast than retina display.
    No I did not know the iphone has the sharpest smartphone display  because that is not true. The HTC rezound has a sharper display than the Iphone.
  • masterofceremonymasterofceremony Posts: 43Member, New Member
    I think iphone less worth than Android phones...
    For the half price of iphone you can buy an Android phone with similar performance results.
    So being honest - by having only theoretically better platorm (I mean iOS), Apple have double price(?)
  • .EpicLifeStyle.EpicLifeStyle Posts: 88Member

TRAINEE

Depends what you mean by worth it.

Any new Android phone running ICS will be cheaper and most certainly be competitive with Apple's 4s.
    It's a fact that Apple's margins on their products are obscene, and yet we as consumers are completely fine with that.
    It's not about the Apps, any app that matters on iOS will exist on Android sooner or later. No App developer can ignore the biggest smartphone
    platform in the world. Apple is just an acquired taste. It's created an ecosystem with its products. You own one, you most likely own two or three or more.

The 4s does not have the best of anything in regards to screen resolution, camera, processor etc.
    That didn't stop me from buying it though.
  • chinchillableschinchillables Posts: 95Member
    Everything is situational. I used to upgrade all that crap to keep the latest, but after 2 months of use I only use the camera and ability to make phone calls on a phone anyways. If I need to surf the net, I'll just use my laptop and see everything big, type faster, etc. etc. The money people spend on those stupid devices is absurd and unjustifiable. Don't waste money.

Now if you wait til they are free promos or super cheap, then sure it's worth it... just not at the prices they charge for it all due to demand.
    (^_^)yess.gifyesa.gifimageimage<=> Love yourself... and me too!!image (Mobile App that pays $2511.75 a month to spread the word !!!)

IDOL

masterofceremony wrote on 24 March 2012 - 08:50 AM:

I think iphone less worth than Android phones...
    For the half price of iphone you can buy an Android phone with similar performance results.
    So being honest - by having only theoretically better platorm (I mean iOS), Apple have double price(?)

Your post is so extremely....lol'worthy

Most of the top of the line android phones that can compete with the current Iphone cost as much as it and sometimes even more.
    EX: Galaxy Nexus
2»